Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15 Again With This: What Would You Like For Christmas, Ray?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

I am reminded that at my Catholic church growing up, midnight mass was actually held at 10 pm, because of all the inherent problems with churchgoers and the late hour. Kind of took the piss out of it.

I grew up little-C catholic (ELCA Lutheran) and we always had our Christmas Eve candlelight services at 10pm. They weren't torturous for kids at all--mostly beautiful music and a short sermon about the Baby J, plus our pretty church bathed in candlelight. Also we had a cry room, also also I often held/entertained fussy babies or toddlers in church when I was a teenager, just to help out. Andrea and Jesse are both hysterical assholes in this episode. Like a baby in a CATHOLIC church is a novelty.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, CurlyATX said:

Now as for the show, I heard somewhere that Garth had told the producers after ShanDo left that she wanted to have "more" to do and so they went down that "when bad things happen to beautiful people" path particularly with her. 

I also feel like 90210 probably felt some need/some pressure to soap things up more to keep up with "Melrose Place".  I mean, why else introduce its own Amanda Woodward in Valerie?

• Love 1
On 16/11/2016 at 0:36 PM, penguinnj said:

I am so embarrassed that I remember this, but I blame it on liking Claire and David. The chancellor plays the piano while singing a very slow rendition of Silver Bells at his incredibly boring party. Brandon convinces David to join the chancellor at the piano and they "liven things up" by playing a slightly jazzy version of Jingle Bell Rock. Everyone instantly loves it and the chancellor "warms" to David.

David and Clare are like the most normal couple on the show, I think ever.

On 17/11/2016 at 3:27 AM, CurlyATX said:

yes! They went to a fake version of UCLA, right?  I went to another UC but I thought UCLA had its share of celebrity kids.  It could have been interesting to have someone like "Lydia Leeds" now be in Alpha house.  I guess Kelly's modeling is supposed to be the glam factor.  It would have been better if the agency told her to lose weight and suggested she do coke. 

I think it's so weird how almost everyone has a drug addiction at some point but no one really drinks casually or even drinks often and doesn't go straight to rehab.  I think later on Val does have a drunken hookup (with a guy with AIDS no less). 

I'm going by the idea that everyone is drunk doing these roles to make them get through it. So that's why they aren't drinking more, I guess. 

On 11/16/2016 at 10:44 AM, Panda Bear said:

I know the writers were probably trying really hard to come up with storylines to fit their insane 30 episodes per season orders, but: yes, my god, YES. They thought teenagers were going to care about things like daycare and teething, and dictators from made-up countries? Why not have the characters do actual college stuff like throwing parties and having drunken hook-ups? Give them some angst about internships and choosing a major. Or use the premise of the show, that these aren't regular people, but super glamorous Beverly Hills people. Throw in a few stories about Hollywood or something, anything else. 

This is such a bummer of the college years - the writers seemed to mostly forget after Season 4 that the characters were actually in college. There's such a shift between Seasons 4 and 5, and then even more so between 5 and 6, that it almost feels like most of the writing staff changed. That's why, for all the goofiness of them, I love the storylines like Brenda and the theater, Steve and the girls going KEG and Alpha, Brandon being courted by the student senate, etc in Season 4 - starring in a school play, rushing sororities and fraternities, even overestimating your own importance as part of the student senate is so, so college - one of my random favorite moments of Season 4 is when Brandon is talking to Josh Richland about becoming the Freshman rep on the student senate and Brandon asks something about the faculty and Josh blithely replies "They're just the teachers. We're the ones who really run this place!" It's so funny and so, so true to college kids of that age.

I feel like maybe the writers got bored with the college stories or something, though, or maybe just wanted to speed 90210 into a more Melrose Place-like tone, because there was so much more they could have done with the gang in college that they abandoned in favor of things that would be much more suited to people in their late-20s or 30s, like Andrea/Jesse fighting about child-rearing and each having affairs, endless nightclub shinanigans, everyone dating people at least 5-7 years older than them, and a rotation of people developing drug habits and then going into rehab.

• Love 1

I agree. The first season they were in college felt like real- life college, but after that season its like they went from 18-35 overnight. I think they stopped with those storylines because they weren't dramatic enough. The episodes where they rush frats and sororities were cute.. but I think it would have gotten boring after a while. What I do like is that they didn't do the 4 year time gap between high school and college like most shows do nowadays. I liked that they showed the characters grow up ( or not so much) from ages 15-25.