Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Real as F**k

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Whoa! This episode was crazy. And the ladies were right about each other. Molly needs therapy to figure herself out. I feel so bad for Jared because she just popped up and ruined his night. 

Lawrence was so upset especially as he was already imagining wedding bells with Issa. I can't wait for the season finale. I'm glad we're getting a second season. 

• Love 4

So this ep was certainly real af. My heart broke for everybody except Daniel who decided to suddenly catch feelings. Molly is in that space where she thinks she's entitled to something better because she's doing everything "right". She's slowly realizing that's not how life works for everybody. I hate that she interrupted the Enterprise guy'said night and probably posed him off. Leave him alone!

Poor Lawrence. I was hoping he'd never find out about Issa but his spidey senses were turned all the way up after reading that text. Such a raw, emotional scene. My stomach was in knots!

• Love 4

I was glad that Issa finally got some props for her hard work (lol at her jealous coworkers barely clapping) and getting some real respect from her boss.  

But otherwise...wow.  To her and Molly.  Surprised they didn't come to blows.  They were both right, but I can't really side with Molly here.  Therapy can be a great thing, and she desperately needs to talk to someone.  Molly scoffing at it so callously just makes me dislike her more, tbh.  Jared wasn't the only one tired of her shit tonight.  

What was up with that girl's weave?  Looked like it would fly off her head.

Honestly, I feel bad for Daniel, because I believed he cared about Issa, even if the feelings weren't mutual.  He wasn't some random hook up for Issa, they had history and her ghosting him like that was wrong.  Granted, he really shouldn't have shown up to her event uninvited, but I can't blame him for wanting to know what was going on.  Issa should have just spoken to him before the event and put an end to whatever it was they had.  And Issa referring to him as "an itch that needed to be scratched" was cold.  Like Jared and Molly, I'm hoping Issa and Daniel are done.

I feel so bad for Lawrence.  Dude finally gets his shit together and learns the truth.  I just hope he doesn't go running to the Bank Teller.

Season finale next week!

• Love 2

One small moment I loved in this episode was when Issa came out in that yellow and white floral-ish patterned dress and Molly didn't say a word but Issa knew she hated it.

High five to Jared for shutting the door in Molly's face. I mean, seriously. It's bad enough that she's knocked him back and forth like a tennis ball with her I like you/you're not good enough for me crap, but her idea of telling him she wants to be with him is to say that she should have lowered her standards, not wanted to date the perfect guy, and learned to be happy with him. It's obvious that she thinks she is better than he is because of his job and his lack of a college degree, and he shouldn't have to settle for someone who thinks he isn't good enough for her.

There was a lot of truth telling in Molly and Issa's fight, but the one thing I have to nitpick was Molly saying that Issa fucked Daniel while Lawrence was trying to "fix his shit for her." Sorry, but getting a job isn't something Lawrence should be doing for Issa. To me, that's just a normal thing you're supposed to do regardless of whether you're in a relationship. I saw the panic in her eyes when he started talking about his app again. Dude, you FINALLY got offered a job that you're interested in (as opposed to Best Buy) that pays well and has benefits and you're considering turning it down so you can keep working on your app? He's been unemployed for HOW long? If that wasn't long enough to get that app up and running, then why do you think it's a good idea to give up gainful employment for something that you STILL aren't ready to launch? Ugh.

My issue with Daniel is that he is the one who told Issa in the very first episode that he wasn't looking for a relationship. If that's the case, then the studio fuck should be just that - a fuck. Sure, she should have replied to his post-coital texts, but he knew all along that she had a boyfriend so did he think his penis was so irresistible that she would immediately dump her boyfriend and come running to him?

Loved the kid who was excited about the battery of drawers. I remember when I was little, we visited my mom's friend and she had a bunch of issues of the National Enquirer. I thought she was so cool. Please don't judge me - kids get excited about all kinds of random things!

It was so nice to see Issa do well at work, especially since her coworkers suck so much. I loved when one of the nitwits asked her if Baldwin Hills is the black Beverly Hills and she just told them to get back to work.

• Love 15

"I think I see a child who's been left behind."

Did Daniel know who Lawrence was when they were getting their cars?

Molly turned down Justin? He's adorable if a little awkward--and he has a college degree. But on the other hand, maybe he dodged a bullet there.

Didn't realize having extra batteries was luxury of sorts. (Using rechargeables cuts down on the need for that, plus it's more economical in the long run.)

What are the odds Lawrence heads straight for the bank teller? She's not really his speed but he may be feeling like getting some revenge sex. I hope he's better than that though.

My issue with Daniel is that he is the one who told Issa in the very first episode that he wasn't looking for a relationship. If that's the case, then the studio fuck should be just that - a fuck. Sure, she should have replied to his post-coital texts, but he knew all along that she had a boyfriend so did he think his penis was so irresistible that she would immediately dump her boyfriend and come running to him?

This.

• Love 1

What got me was the sign; "We Got Y'all... You Got Us?"  That made me chuckle and cuss at the same time!

Issa's coworkers are the worst. So glad she got props from the kids and the boss.

Molly. She was fully tripping all night. Therapy might be good for her. She got mad at mere suggestions no even directed at her. She deserved Issa's read and then to go running to Jared like he should be grateful for her attention. Girl. I cringed harder with every word out of her mouth. She just basically told that man he was beneath her.  I cheered when he shut the door on her.

Daniel must have thought he had the magic stick.  I am glad that Issa told him he was just an itch she had to scratch. It was cold, but truthful. She should have said that before 3 weeks of multiple texts went by.

Lawrence is heading straight for that bank teller. 

Here's a podcast for the show: 

8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

What was up with that girl's weave?  Looked like it would fly off her head.

Maybe it was my tv, but her skin color looked dark greenish.  She looked like one of those zombies on The Walking Dead. 

I'm glad Jared has had enough of Molly.  Stay strong, Jared, and don't let her back in!  

• Love 6

Even though I'm not super impressed by this show's use of the TV trope where all of your relationships just suddenly implode at the same time, I thought the execution was really good. Both of Issa's fights were so intense! I really felt like I should not be in the room during Lawrence and Issa's breakup so kudos to them. Poor Lawrence. But I think it's pretty clear that this was Issa's very inelegant way of getting out of a relationship that was no longer exciting to her. It's going to be interesting to see her navigate the world as a single next season. 

Molly should have taken Justin's interest much more seriously....but she is a good representative of why so many smart, successful women stay eternally single.

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 5

This is my favorite episode of the season so far.  Real as fuck, indeed.

10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

But otherwise...wow.  To her and Molly.  Surprised they didn't come to blows.  They were both right, but I can't really side with Molly here.  Therapy can be a great thing, and she desperately needs to talk to someone.  Molly scoffing at it so callously just makes me dislike her more, tbh.  Jared wasn't the only one tired of her shit tonight.  

I loved their fight.  Only best friends can fight like that where the blows land with such precision  Also, i think Molly's attitude toward therapy is an extension of her attitude toward Jared's one small foray into his same-sex experience.  For a woman who went to law school and has a big timey job in corporate law, she has a round-the-way girl mentality in many ways that she is just not letting go of.  The distrust and taboo of therapy and the silence around mental health issues in the black community is all part of that.  She is so flawed I can't hate on her.   Like Jidenna said -- she needs a win.  Still rooting for you Molly but you have along way to go.

And can I say how stupid is she for not picking up what -- Justin?  the Asian teacher, was putting down.  Dude was hot and kinda into her.  Man she is such a self sabotager!

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Loved the kid who was excited about the battery of drawers. I remember when I was little, we visited my mom's friend and she had a bunch of issues of the National Enquirer. I thought she was so cool. Please don't judge me - kids get excited about all kinds of random things!

This reminds me of when I went one time with my grandmother who spent an afternoon visiting with her ladies-who-lunch friends.  I was about seven and they were having lunch at one of their houses and this lady had these little crystal bowls of candy set out everywhere.  Like, free candy!  I was determined that when I had my own home, I would set out bowls of candy!  Plot twist -  never, ever did, still don't.

10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I was glad that Issa finally got some props for her hard work (lol at her jealous coworkers barely clapping) and getting some real respect from her boss.

Yes.  So much vindication.  Also nice little commentary on really how invisible the upper class black folk are (unless they are rappers, entertainers) etc.  But there are black professionals who cultivate and live in nice black enclaves and there is  black old money.  Also I loved Issa's dress and hair!  Huge contrast to what the hell Molly was wearing on her head  Cuz, really.

I thought everything about Lawrence was right on the money.  His suspicions, his reactions -- everything was pitch perfect in how that went down.  Great set of scenes with him.

As usual Kelli brings all the funny!

• Love 10

But otherwise...wow.  To her and Molly.  Surprised they didn't come to blows.  They were both right, but I can't really side with Molly here.  Therapy can be a great thing, and she desperately needs to talk to someone.  Molly scoffing at it so callously just makes me dislike her more, tbh.  Jared wasn't the only one tired of her shit tonight. 

I suspect that Molly comes from a background that frowns on therapy. I'm not speaking for all black people (I'm black) but therapy is typically seen as something 'crazy' people do. I don't feel that way, though. I'm all for people getting their mind right. We all need a mental tune-up sometimes. 

I'm glad Jared closed the door in her face. Girl, that is NOT the way back into someone's good graces. You don't tell someone that they're lower than you and expect them to swoon. 

I'm going to give Daniel a pass on catching feelings. Things were rocky between Issa and Lawrence and she seemed to be interested in him. So it's not as if his feelings came out of nowhere. They were probably dormant and after studio sex happened, he's thinking that they were moving forward.

One of the things I appreciate about this show is the gender role reversal. Lawrence and Daniel were placed in the position that women are usually in; especially Daniel. Countless women have gotten their signals crossed with dudes who wanted to "scratch an itch" and got their feelings hurt. I do give the writers credit for not going full on cliche and having Daniel tell Lawrence that he smashed Issa. Or having Lawrence walk in during Molly and Issa's fight and overhear about Issa's infidelity. 

I wanted to go upside Lawrence's head when he considered passing on that job. This is what happens when you fail to recognize an opportunity. Lawrence is more tech savvy than his superiors, he can use that to his advantage! He could end up promoted in no time with his ideas. Play his position and work on his app during free time. But don't give up something with benefits and a salary just to mope that it isn't a cutting edge company.

• Love 11
53 minutes ago, huahaha said:

Loved this episode. The only thing that worries me is that I got a whiff of a potential Molly/Lawrence pairing. Hopefully the show won't go there. Plenty of other people in LA!

Glad I'm not the only one who smelled that whiff.  I truly hope they don't go there though.   

I watch this show and Divorce because I get free HBO until December 31st.  I'm not paying for HBO afterwards, so I'll just catch up on the show next season here. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, huahaha said:

Loved this episode. The only thing that worries me is that I got a whiff of a potential Molly/Lawrence pairing. Hopefully the show won't go there. Plenty of other people in LA!

That's funny, I actually got a whiff of Molly/Daniel when she was tacitly telling him to stay in his lane. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

That's funny, I actually got a whiff of Molly/Daniel when she was tacitly telling him to stay in his lane. 

I smelled that as well. It would be just like misguided Molly to try to get back at Issa by fucking Daniel.  Lawrence is going full steam ahead to Miss Bank Teller.

• Love 1

Molly should have taken Justin's interest much more seriously

I was just glad she didn't trot out the common stereotype about Asian men. She would be the one who'd say something like that (but she'd probably have enough tact not to say it around anyone but her friends).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I smelled that as well. It would be just like misguided Molly to try to get back at Issa by fucking Daniel.  Lawrence is going full steam ahead to Miss Bank Teller.

Interesting that we're all suspicious of Molly now! I saw Molly's interaction with Daniel as the standard best-friend-acting-as-bulldog. Daniel doesn't seem to be her type either, though I suppose that doesn't always matter.

The line that got me was when Molly said that Issa didn't deserve Lawrence. Earlier, Molly looked jealous of Issa when Lawrence announced his great new job. Lawrence seems to be the smart and doting guy Molly has been looking for. I think Molly would majorly regret hooking up with either guy but could convince herself in the moment that she and Lawrence were a good match.

Again, I hope we don't see either scenario! Molly is a regular character, and I really don't want to watch the predictable best friend reconciliation scene after a betrayal that huge.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, huahaha said:

The line that got me was when Molly said that Issa didn't deserve Lawrence.

That's the line that got me too.  After she said it, she looked like she wanted to take it back because she'd been busted.

• Love 1

I know there's a stigma against therapy in the black community. I'm a black woman in therapy; my therapist is a black woman. I definitely think Molly needs some help getting out of her own way; there's no shame in that. But she seems to be of the school of thought that that's a thing we don't do, that you have to be crazy to go, and that's not true. 

"I finally decided to settle for you! Aren't you happy?" Girl, bye. Good for Jared for having self-respect.

8 hours ago, PetuniaP said:

Molly should have taken Justin's interest much more seriously....but she is a good representative of why so many smart, successful women stay eternally single.

Right? He was cute! Shit, call me!

14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There was a lot of truth telling in Molly and Issa's fight, but the one thing I have to nitpick was Molly saying that Issa fucked Daniel while Lawrence was trying to "fix his shit for her." Sorry, but getting a job isn't something Lawrence should be doing for Issa. To me, that's just a normal thing you're supposed to do regardless of whether you're in a relationship. I saw the panic in her eyes when he started talking about his app again. Dude, you FINALLY got offered a job that you're interested in (as opposed to Best Buy) that pays well and has benefits and you're considering turning it down so you can keep working on your app? He's been unemployed for HOW long? If that wasn't long enough to get that app up and running, then why do you think it's a good idea to give up gainful employment for something that you STILL aren't ready to launch? Ugh.

I agree. Take the good, stable job, get back on your feet, and make the other thing your side hustle. You could see Issa like "Aw, fuck, we back here again?" when he mentioned the app - and I was with her on that. You don't turn down a good job with benefits unless you get a better job with better benefits or come into a "fuck you" money. Lawrence isn't in a position to turn down work.

Molly and Issa's fight was so raw. Molly is right - all the stuff going on in Issa's life is stuff she could change. I have a friend who has been in the same job for seven years, hating it all the time, and we're like " ... so leave," and she doesn't. (And she has options - she's not trapped in a dead-end job because she has no skills.) It gets frustrating when people act like life is something that happens TO you. And Issa is right too - Molly needs to realize that everyone has baggage and there's no such thing as a perfect guy. She's not perfect herself. 

With Issa and Lawrence, I almost couldn't watch - that was such real emotion. I felt horrible for them both. I think if they do get back together, it won't be for a while - which is as it should be, frankly.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, huahaha said:

Me too! Got that same whiff.  Like you, I hope she doesn't go there because to me there's no coming back from something like that. Her friendship with Issa would be dunzo, and I really like them as BFFs. I also agree with others who said Issa and Lawrence's fight felt real. That was a great scene.  

My favorite line in the episode was when Molly told Issa that their mutual friend had stopped "hoein"  and was now "in therapy and shit." I hollered when she said that!

Edited by damalanop
  • Love 1

I really hope they don't go the Molly/Lawrence route.  I can't see Issa and Molly's friendship surviving that.  And as angry as she is, I can't imagine Molly doing that to her best friend.  

Molly and Daniel however...that's a different story.  Unfortunately, I can imagine that happening.

I love all the inside LA Black jokes. Like I also told my brother in a panic that I saw two white people walking their dog down our street in Ladera Heights (not as bourgie as Baldwin Hills, but close). He just rolled his eyes at me. Lol

And sign me up for Justin...

• Love 4

For a lawyer Molly trips on her tongue a lot.  Even if Jared was open to getting back together, she insulted him like a half dozen times in that short convo they had.

The blow ups with Molly and Lawrence were well done and unexpectedly heavy.  The pilot was so fun and seemingly lighthearted but the tone got serious.  The characters are ambitious, not just in terms of career aspirations but in their pursuits of Mr./Ms. Right.

I hope it doesn't get too soap-opera-ish.  Of course relationship story lines have broad appeal to viewers but what's somewhat unique about Insignificance is the striving of the characters, to make something of themselves as well as to find a significant other.  The characters are black, which makes their aspirations more poignant, as they deal with obstacles, including some they impose on themselves (for example, Molly's standards for the men she dates).

Y'all.  When the show opened with the scene in the dress shop and Issa and Molly both had completely different hairstyles, I thought it was a flashback episode to show us how Issa and Molly both got to the place they are in life.  It took a good 8-10 minutes before I caught up and realized it wasn't flashbacks and their hair was just different lol.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I really hope they don't go the Molly/Lawrence route.  I can't see Issa and Molly's friendship surviving that.  And as angry as she is, I can't imagine Molly doing that to her best friend.

I hope not either.  I am 90% sure it won't because I don't think that this is that type of show.  Just like I knew Lawrence would not get violent with Issa when he found out about Daniel (despite the imaginary scene that played out i her head) I just don't see this going that petty route.  And truthfully, I don't think Lawrence checks all of Molly's boxes.  At least he didn't when he was unemployed.   They fought before and made up I think one or the other will come crawling back.  Probably Issa will go to Molly for a shoulder to cry on.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who thinks Lawrence might have already slept with the bank teller? He seemed to be coming on strong with Issa all of a sudden, even thinking about proposing marriage. I hope it's not true, and not only because it kinda sorta minimizes what Issa did, but I know that's how some people react to guilt. Like he cheated, realized it was a mistake, and it made him see that he should really commit to his relationship. Again, hope I'm wrong, and he was just trying to make up for forgetting her birthday and not pulling his weight.

High five to Jared for shutting the door in Molly's face. I mean, seriously. It's bad enough that she's knocked him back and forth like a tennis ball with her I like you/you're not good enough for me crap, but her idea of telling him she wants to be with him is to say that she should have lowered her standards, not wanted to date the perfect guy, and learned to be happy with him.

That was some shit straight out of Pride and Prejudice. "I was looking for something better, but I've learned that I should just settle for you!" I was so happy when he just shut the door in her face. Maybe it's the wake-up call she needs (if ever there was someone without a mental illness who needs therapy, it's Molly), but more importantly, I think he's far too good for her. I don't care for Molly very much. The first time she wasn't actively annoying me was when she and Issa were communicating non-verbally over how to handle Daniel. That was a good display of how close they are.

I got the feeling that Daniel was actually invited (by Issa's coworker, who seemed to have a crush on him), or else how would he have known when and where to show up? He still shouldn't have come, and he admitted that he did only so he could force some kind of confrontation. He SAID he didn't want a relationship, but now that they had sex he changed his mind, and I guess Issa just should fall all over him? WTF-ever, Daniel. It was mean of her to tell him to his face that it meant nothing (and I was worried he was going to blow up right at the fundraiser), but it's nothing less than the truth. She's in a relationship. He told her he didn't want to date. They fucked one time. She didn't call him back. Dude, her non-response IS the response. Take a hint.

The kids were highly entertaining in this episode, especially the one getting all excited over a drawer full of batteries. I don't think it's because he thought they were fancy, it's just that kids go crazy for weird stuff. (Plus, you have to admit that it would be pretty intriguing to find a drawer FULL of batteries in someone's house.) I think it's more that they represented a kid's idea of adulthood, that when you're grown you can do WHATEVER you want, even if it's having a drawer in your very nice house dedicated to batteries. And then when the teacher had to introduce the students as "the kids -- I mean, Dayniece and the kids..." because she didn't want to be lumped in with the others. Hee! They're some little terrors, but it's nice to see that they (and the boss lady) appreciate Issa's hard work. (And hilarious that her coworkers were not happy for her.)

• Love 9

As a fundraiser who has put on a ton of the type of events Issa did as a volunteer (from career day) Daniel would have definitely been invited probably as a default of being in the system not necessarily from the co-worker or anyone personally.  Molly would have gotten one for the same reason as well even though she got hers from Issa directly.  Although it was out of pocket for him to show up I think he genuinely did not show up to intentionally start some drama.  I think he showed up because Issa hadn't returned his calls and texts (and yes, he should have read that as a big hint to stay away) and he knew she would be there and he could find out what the deal is because although it was just a hook up they have history, a long one, since high school.  I can understand him feeling some kind of way about being treated like a trick.  Yes, they were both tricking in this situation but out of respect for their history Issa should not have shut down and ignored him.  

I too got a whif of Molly/Lawrence when she said Issa wasn't good enough for him but overall, I have to believe the show is not that kind of show where they swap boyfriends. 

11 hours ago, withanaich said:

Am I the only one who thinks Lawrence might have already slept with the bank teller? He seemed to be coming on strong with Issa all of a sudden, even thinking about proposing marriage. 

I don't know if you're the only one but I would hope that didn't happen. The show went out of its way to show not only Issa cheating but Lawrence turning down the bank teller.  For Lawrence, it was one of the few chances we had, outside of his scenes with Issa, to get a sense of who he is.  To throw that all away just so they can go "tricked ya" would feel cheap.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Ok wait! That doesn't count as once? I always considered the encounter as a whole, not each...penetration . 

I've been wrong??

I was mostly joking. ;)

Still, "It only happened once" is the crime of passion defense. When you keep going (and going, and going), it stops looking like a mistake. Issa and Daniel were in "I even had her in the shower (It wasn't me)" territory.

• Love 2

Just rewatched this and that scene with Issa and Lawrence and I felt bad for both of them. I hope they can work it out, but I won't be surprised if they can't/don't.  I predict a lot of revenge fucking.

• Love 2

And can I say how stupid is she for not picking up what -- Justin?  the Asian teacher, was putting down.  Dude was hot and kinda into her.  Man she is such a self sabotager!

Seriously, so obvious, I hope she didn't diss him because he's Asian. She needs to explore some nice guys.

I love all the inside LA Black jokes. Like I also told my brother in a panic that I saw two white people walking their dog down our street in Ladera Heights (not as bourgie as Baldwin Hills, but close). He just rolled his eyes at me. Lol

Me, to, Victoria Park Dr. off Pico in the house, love that Issa didn't entertain the Baldwin Hills question, exactly what I would do. Calling anything the "black version" of something is so ignorant.

It was mean of her to tell him to his face that it meant nothing (and I was worried he was going to blow up right at the fundraiser), but it's nothing less than the truth. She's in a relationship. He told her he didn't want to date. They fucked one time. She didn't call him back. Dude, her non-response IS the response. Take a hint.

This, I am so sick of people thinking you owe them an explanation or closure, uh, no I don't. Take the hint, not returning calls or texts means I don't want to talk to you it's over, move on, bye.

• Love 1

Seriously, so obvious, I hope she didn't diss him because he's Asian. She needs to explore some nice guys.

The fact that she referred to him as Jackie Chan does not make me want to give her the benefit of the doubt. I thought he was trying to be friendly and make conversation, which made me like him (it annoys me when guys treat any social situation where women are present as an opportunity to use blatant pickup lines). She was really rude and dismissive which was made even worse when you know that he is someone who Issa works with. 

• Love 12

Man, that was painful as fuck. Issa and Molly fighting was so hard to watch--they were both right but just, augh, I don't know, painted their lives into corners and were stuck and saw no other way but to plow straight ahead. (Mix all the metaphors!)

The eye candy guys got a big dose of the feels and my heart broke about fifty times for every. Single. Person. From Justin to the batteries kid to hot Daniel. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

On the batteries front, I moved to a new state, new house, a few months ago and one of my most delicious luxuries is a plastic box filled with all different size batteries. They expensive, yo.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2016 at 6:56 AM, Ohwell said:

Maybe it was my tv, but her skin color looked dark greenish.  She looked like one of those zombies on The Walking Dead. 

Yes! We actually paused on her trying to figure out what was going on. Anyway, great episode, can't wait for the finale

• Love 1
On 11/21/2016 at 10:47 PM, loki310 said:

And sign me up for Justin...

View Park here.....SAME! My 25 year old son came in one night and said "Mom...have you noticed a lot of white people walking around here lately?" ?

Almost like he spotted a wild giraffe or something. 

Yes, son. Gentrification happens. 

• Love 1