Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Traitor

• Start Topic

Just do a fucking DNA test.  Once the results are know, POTUS & the FL could figure out how to handle it.  Either tell the guy trying to blackmail them to pound sand if the tests show prison guy is not the father, or tell Leo the truth, and also tell him you didn't get the test earlier because it does not matter to you in the slightest.  But that information has to come from his parents, not from someone else.  Either way, the President can't submit to blackmail.  Inevitably, that will come out. 

And why doesn't the FBI guy say he's got to tell the President something only he can hear, instead of sounding like an idiot, while giving the suspected traitor in the room suspicious side glances? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

Why am I even watching this show? The plot holes and the fact that they dismissing the actual way this works (what our Constitution says) when our government needs to be reconstituted makes me stabby. I might need to take a break from all WH related shows other than Veep for the forseeable future.

Especially with life imitating art TV.

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

...And why doesn't the FBI guy say he's got to tell the President something only he can hear, instead of sounding like an idiot, while giving the suspected traitor in the room suspicious side glances? 

Exactly.

About the show not showing mourning: I'd rather see more of the politeness I saw immediately after 9-11.

• Love 6
On 11/17/2016 at 1:15 PM, Netfoot said:

There's an age limit on the presidency?  Maybe he can get around it by simply not producing his birth certificate.

He can do that because he's white!

On 11/17/2016 at 4:48 PM, calipiano81 said:

Why is Leo's parentage such a big deal? It happened 18 years ago and has no bearing on Kirkman and his ability to do the job of president. Just tell Leo immediately and who cares if Alex's ex-boyfriend gives the story to the press.

Exactly.  Trotting out this dumb story-line instead of just having Alex say "There was a guy I knew before your dad and while he may be your bio-dad, Kirkman is and always will  be your real dad."

On 11/17/2016 at 5:07 PM, blackwing said:

I'm curious as to why the actors who play Mike Ritter (who? he is apparently Kirkman's secret service agent) and Leo are listed in the main cast under the "starring" designation, yet are barely on the show.  And yet Malik Yoba (who I would consider a minor "name" name in the TV world) and the actor who plays Congressman MacLeish have been on almost every episode and are still listed under "guest starring".  Not sure if this means anything, whether something sudden is going to happen to them or not and they will be gone from the show.  Atwood has been featured just as much as Maggie Q's Hannah.

As I understand it, it has more to do with how contracts are negotiated and salaries paid than it does with screen time.  Yoba may have taken a lower salary (and thus a "guest-starring" credit) to lower costs.

• Love 4
On 11/17/2016 at 3:11 AM, marinw said:

Ok. So if Track Coach Double Agent was going to stay in Russia all along, why did Russian Diplomat Guy bother negotiating for his release? Did he foresee the three-way prisoner exchange? And why not let coach go home to maintain his cover?

At least they were sort of talking about economic policy at some point.

I never did count on this show for realism. And now I don't even know what constitutes "Real" American Politics anyway.

Real world I doubt if the Ambassador had the need to know that American Agent had turned.  Unknowingly he was doing his part to keep the cover that he was just a newsworthy CIA Agent being held by the Russians

On 11/19/2016 at 4:28 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

I think this show might have gone one bridge too far for me with the kidnapping of Atwood's son.  It requires quite a suspension of disbelief that that a kidnapping/hostage plan of this magnitude (including what exact actions they're going to require Atwood to take) could happen within weeks of all the death and destruction.

My disbelief is  that the entire team at the FBI in the know seems to consist of one Special Agent and the Deputy Director who I guess is the senior surviving  cop in the US after the bombing. What the rest of the agency is doing about the biggest crime in US history? Or that some random CIA contact of a FBI Agent instantly recognizes the name which every data base has flagged and redacted.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Raja said:

My disbelief is  that the entire team at the FBI in the know seems to consist of one Special Agent and the Deputy Director who I guess is the senior surviving  cop in the US after the bombing. What the rest of the agency is doing about the biggest crime in US history? Or that some random CIA contact of a FBI Agent instantly recognizes the name which every data base has flagged and redacted.

Right? I think Atwood (Malik Yoba) is the highest-ranking FBI official alive, at this point. That's why he sits in some meetings, because he represents the entire Bureau. But he only works with one single agent? Hannah? Where's everybody else? It's like he and Hannah are working as partners, which doesn't make sense for such a high-ranking agent. That said, I'm willing to let it slide because I love them together. Even if I think they'll start drifting apart, considering the latest developments. 

And yeah, no one at the FBI has ever heard of "Catalan" but every single CIA agent knows about it? I assume? It's not like Hannah's friend was like "sure, I'll look into this name" and then he came back all scared and "girl stay out of it". He instantly knew.

I am loving the portrayal of these government agencies, to be honest. Not much of it makes sense, but overall you can see it being kind of believable (something which is common knowledge within CIA circles wouldn't necessarily be known to outsiders, plus I'm sure "rogue" teams of agents have made strides in particular cases without much support from the higher-ups). What I love the most, though, is how over-the-top everything is. For instance, Hannah got the info on Catalan after, like, being scared for her life and drawing her weapon and getting ready to waste a mofo. Except then she saw... a plain envelope left in her car. I live for unnecessary drama like that.

• Love 3

Realistically, does the highest-ranking FBI official alive spend time out in the field, pursuing leads?  Or is he stuck at a desk, buried in paperwork?  Important paperwork that must be handled if investigations aren't to be derailed?

• Love 1

Have lost interest rapidly in this show. Just looking at shrimpy, homely President Tom with that wife requires too much imagination. But the silly intrigue with the son and the FBI guy who can't ask to speak to President Tom privately has done it for me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mojito said:

Have lost interest rapidly in this show. Just looking at shrimpy, homely President Tom with that wife requires too much imagination. 

She's not all that.  And he's no "King of Queens [yuck!]"

Edited by jhlipton

Just looking at shrimpy, homely President Tom

Attractiveness really is in the eye of the beholder. I think Kiefer is very handsome. Although I do have to admit he has changed since his hoter-than-hell 24 days.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2016 at 7:10 PM, Raja said:

Real world I doubt if the Ambassador had the need to know that American Agent had turned.  Unknowingly he was doing his part to keep the cover that he was just a newsworthy CIA Agent being held by the Russians

Yes; I was thinking that too....where's the rest of the FBI?  Surely they weren't all at the SOTU address.  There seem to be enough agents to do the lab work and process evidence, but only two able to investigate.

• Love 1

So is this entire season going to be them playing keep the FBI away from the President so he does not find out the crucial information. It is old already. 

Maybe I am too critical but this show is just not coming together for me. I like many of the actors in the cast its just not holding my interest.

24 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Maybe I am too critical but this show is just not coming together for me.

I tend to feel the same way.  The concept is good, but the implementation is poor.

In the weeks after the near-total decapitation of the US Government, the new CinC would be incredibly busy, dealing with hundreds of crises of all sorts, on a 23-hour/day schedule.  All the "You aren't the real president!" crap would have been sorted on day #1, by firing-squad, if necessary.  It's very likely the country would be under martial law, and the borders would be closed.  There wouldn't have been any time to piss about with his wife's personal refugee drama, or the paternity bullshit.  The top man in the FBI wouldn't be afraid to denounce his main suspect in that decapitation.  The CinC wouldn't be farting around agonizing over the possibility of personnel losses in military engagements.  There wouldn't be any long secluded walks in the atrium, or solitary hours sitting in the library with his feet up, reading a book or watching TV.  An aide leaking critical secrets to the press would be charged with treason on the spot.  

What makes it all the more annoying is that it's Kiefer Sutherland we're talking about! You couldn't have cast a more unbelievable President Milquetoast, if you'd tried!  

There is plenty of opportunity here for entertaining drama and character development, set in the thrilling and pseudo-believable landscape which is the premise of this show.  So, when is it going to start?  When will the thrills and entertainment begin?  You, me and everyone else knows that MacLeish will be made VP before the suspicious nature of his survival is ever presented to the Prez.  Is that sort of complication supposed to make for thrills? Because that is the sort of plot device that I'd expect from Days of our Lives

Is it any wonder the numbers are deep-sea diving into the toilet?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I tend to feel the same way.  The concept is good, but the implementation is poor.

In the weeks after the near-total decapitation of the US Government, the new CinC would be incredibly busy, dealing with hundreds of crises of all sorts, on a 23-hour/day schedule.  All the "You aren't the real president!" crap would have been sorted on day #1, by firing-squad, if necessary.  It's very likely the country would be under martial law, and the borders would be closed.  There wouldn't have been any time to piss about with his wife's personal refugee drama, or the paternity bullshit.  The top man in the FBI wouldn't be afraid to denounce his main suspect in that decapitation.  The CinC wouldn't be farting around agonizing over the possibility of personnel losses in military engagements.  There wouldn't be any long secluded walks in the atrium, or solitary hours sitting in the library with his feet up, reading a book or watching TV.  An aide leaking critical secrets to the press would be charged with treason on the spot.  

What makes it all the more annoying is that it's Kiefer Sutherland we're talking about! You couldn't have cast a more unbelievable President Milquetoast, if you'd tried!  

There is plenty of opportunity here for entertaining drama and character development, set in the thrilling and pseudo-believable landscape which is the premise of this show.  So, when is it going to start?  When will the thrills and entertainment begin?  You, me and everyone else knows that MacLeish will be made VP before the suspicious nature of his survival is ever presented to the Prez.  Is that sort of complication supposed to make for thrills? Because that is the sort of plot device that I'd expect from Days of our Lives

Is it any wonder the numbers are deep-sea diving into the toilet?

Yes, you eloquently explained my frustrations about every aspect of this show's shortcomings. Thank you!

• Love 1

Did anyone else at first think that the arrest of the sports coach was somehow retaliation for the total ban on immigration that Kirkman enacted last week?

That was the first thing I said to my friend during that scene: "they've just banned all immigration and somehow US athletes are still welcome at sporting events in Russia? Seems unlikely".

Weird that the immigration thing wasn't mentioned at all - not just in this context but in any context.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:27 AM, Netfoot said:

IDK but I think this sounds more like a budding dictatorship than a Democracy.  Not really what I want to watch. 

I really don't know what would happen or should happen in what order, I don't think anyone does since this has never happened. I like that the show is more focused  on the Prez than the conspiracy, so far. Hopefully we have a long way to go. I need to really get this guy before I root for him and they are doing that well IMO. I don't need to see hundreds of  hours of mourning for our country's losses, I lived through that so I am okay with them not showing that as well.

23 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

I think this sounds more like a budding dictatorship than a Democracy.

What it sounds like is martial law.  Which is exactly what you'd get.  For how long?  I don't know, but certainly until circumstances stabilize.  The alternative is what?  A country with no congress.  A country with no VP.  A country with nothing but a president who is too busy dealing with political nay-sayers to reestablish the formal structures of the three branches of government.   And that, after six weeks, is exactly what this show is trying to tell me we've got.

Perhaps episodes focused on the President's personal troubles at home would be less traumatic and more enjoyable.  But when asked to swallow a premise (for example, that the government has been entirely decapitated by an enemy force of some kind) I prefer when the material presented for me to watch is just a little more easily swallowed.

The idea that the entire apex of the executive / legislative / judicial pyramid could be lopped off, and next day it would be business as usual in the Whitehouse?  Can't swallow that.

• Love 3

Yes, martial law is common under a dictatorship. One building, one, was targeted. No bombs have been found any where else. Missiles are not raining down upon Main St, USA. Yes it was the SOTU but many people remain unaffected. We have a President, no need for martial law. Or closed borders. I think that is a stunning over reaction to the scope of the tragedy. People are still going to work, getting paid and living their lives, expecting the government to get fixed in due course. JMO

• Love 2

I think this show would benefit from a time jump. We could see a notice saying "Six months later" or something, Kirkman and family are settling in and the nation is sort of repairing itself.  The rebuilt government is trying to actually run things, and Kirkman is well, leading. This could be a more effective fulfilment of the show's premise.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, marinw said:

I think this show would benefit from a time jump. We could see a notice saying "Six months later" or something, Kirkman and family are settling in and the nation is sort of repairing itself.  The rebuilt government is trying to actually run things, and Kirkman is well, leading. This could be a more effective fulfilment of the show's premise.

Hopefully we will see that at the beginning of season two, if no sooner.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Netfoot said:

What it sounds like is martial law.  Which is exactly what you'd get.  For how long?  I don't know, but certainly until circumstances stabilize.  The alternative is what?  A country with no congress.  A country with no VP.  A country with nothing but a president who is too busy dealing with political nay-sayers to reestablish the formal structures of the three branches of government.   And that, after six weeks, is exactly what this show is trying to tell me we've got.

I don't see why there would be a need for martial law. Kirkman's handling of the Michigan situation put the governors and local officials on notice that they need to maintain order in their jurisdictions. The country is not is a state of disarray. The deputies and undersecretaries of all agencies are still there to take charge as well as  the career bureaucrats who actually do all the work. State and local governments are still intact. The crisis would certainly have an emotional an impact on ordinary people but not really affect the routine of their day-to-day lives much.

Even in DC things would have settled into a new normalcy. Food supplies, vital utilities and services, schools and businesses were not impacted. People would have adjusted their driving habits to avoid cordoned off streets around the ruins of the capital building, but that is really just an inconvenience.

Congress and the Supreme Court need to be repopulated but that can take some time. The country can carry on quite well for several months without them.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, orza said:

I don't see why there would be a need for martial law.

Ok.  An ostensibly foreign power has attacked the USA, and destroyed the entire structure of government.   All three branches.  You don't think there is any need for martial law.

So, what would it take, for you to think martial law was appropriate?

According to Wikipedia, martial law "...is usually imposed temporarily when the government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively."  I think if the civilian government has ceased to exist, it obviously fails to function, and the imposition of martial law is not unreasonable.  In this instance, there hasn't been a civilian government for six weeks and counting!  And dope-dealing FSOTUS is apparently a higher priority than re-establishing a functioning government.

• Love 2

.Have lost interest rapidly in this show. Just looking at shrimpy, homely President Tom with that wife requires too much imagination

Let's assume behind close doors she taps into his inner Jack Bauer.

Let's assume we are going to watch Kiefer slowly transform from Pres. Clark Kent to Pres. Superman- and that right now they are just giving us a heaping serving of Milquetoast in preparation.  I agree that it can read as unbelievable sometimes, although I do think Kiefer is trying his best to play the hell out of it, sometimes to me it just comes across as (very sincere) acting. 

I guess the premise of the show is the answer to that question. You don't need martial law as long as you have a designated (albeit reluctant and timid) survivor.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

Let's assume we are going to watch Kiefer slowly transform from Pres, Clark Kent to Pres. Superman- and that right now they are just giving us a heaping serving of Milquetoast in preparation.

This certainly needs to happen.  But we are seven episodes in, and the process doesn't appear to have started yet.  Even with a full season of 22 episodes ordered, we're still already ⅓ of the way through!  That transformation really needs to begin soon.  

35 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

You don't need martial law as long as you have a designated (albeit reluctant and timid) survivor.

I don't believe you are right.  Martial law is not invoked when you don't have a functioning President.  It is invoked when you don't have a functioning government.  As CinC, Milquetoast would still be in charge anyway, right?  Only, he would be on firmer legal footing.  But I can see we'll have to agree to disagree about this.  

Edited by Netfoot
14 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Ok.  An ostensibly foreign power has attacked the USA, and destroyed the entire structure of government.   All three branches.  You don't think there is any need for martial law.

According to Wikipedia, martial law "...is usually imposed temporarily when the government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively."  I think if the civilian government has ceased to exist, it obviously fails to function, and the imposition of martial law is not unreasonable.  In this instance, there hasn't been a civilian government for six weeks and counting!  And dope-dealing FSOTUS is apparently a higher priority than re-establishing a functioning government.

The POTUS exists, plus all states have their governors, and state governments are intact. To me, that's a nation that's functioning effectively. The cabinet members can be replaced, and not having a Congress won't exactly impede the function of the US government, in my opinion. Not like they'd need to approve a budget, or something. The POTUS can (via executive orders, I assume) handle all the issues until Congress is repopulated.

As crazy as this show is, I truly think that one of the most believable aspects of it is Kirkman's insistence that they're certain before they act. After such an attack, World War III could start. Easily. If America overreacted. That involves international relations (attacking/bombing a foreign nation) but also domestic measures. Martial law would probably be declared for a few days, probably in DC alone, but changing the lives of every single American wouldn't be a wise idea. What, they'd implement curfews? For everyone? For someone in, like, Nevada? How would that help? They'd take power away from local governments and judges, and have every random military official be in charge? Why? I think it'd be better to delegate, and let state governors handle their population (another thing that's believable, the relative power of the state governors, and their disdain for a POTUS who has not been elected by the people).

For me, martial law nation-wide would be appropriate if there was a (highly unlikely) full-scale attack with, like, long-range missiles. Or DEFCON 3/4/5 [edit: or 1/2/3, lol] as relating to a potential nuclear threat. Or, like, Canada invading. Or, for something more realistic, if "militia" suddenly rose up and attempted to start a civil war of some kind. Maybe an organized and simultaneous attempt in every state (that'd be a fun show to watch. Though maybe not right now.).

I do agree that Kirkman weeping over one single SEAL dying is kind of ridiculous, but then Kirkman was a random person until five minutes ago, so I buy his less jaded reaction. And I also agree that all the personal drama is totally preposterous, as if they'd have time to worry about that shit at a time like this. But I still think this sort of numb reaction is realistic. If you consider 9/11, the effects of it were felt over time. In terms of policies, domestic and international, in terms of laws, in terms of military action. Bush didn't start executing elected officials and bombing foreign nations. Stability is important, otherwise the entire nation will be in chaos. I would bet that, unlike 9/11, if someone wiped out all the major American politicians, some people would hardly bat an eye. They might see it as a fresh start, a clean slate. It's a symbolic move for the enemy (much like 9/11), sure, but would an everyday American be affected? Wouldn't it be more important to help maintain that stability?

I can't believe I'm defending this show as realistic. Let's go back to talking about that crazy woman who kidnapped Atwood's son.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

What, they'd implement curfews? For everyone? For someone in, like, Nevada? How would that help? They'd take power away from local governments and judges, and have every random military official be in charge?

13 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Bush didn't start executing elected officials and bombing foreign nations.

Boy, your idea of martial law is different to mine!  But, as I said:

17 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I can see we'll have to agree to disagree about this.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Boy, your idea of martial law is different to mine!

I only mentioned the executions because you brought up a firing squad, heh. But martial law means that the military is in charge, "replacing" the civilian government which cannot, for whatever reason, function (and implementing the law, but enforcing military regulation in place of civil laws, often to the expence of civil rights).

I'm curious, what would martial law entail for you? Especially on a federal level? And on a state level, why (and how, if not by force, with troops on the streets) would the military take charge, when legally elected state governments exist and are intact? I don't see the constituents taking too kindly to generals usurping their governors, not when their states were unaffected by the attack. Like I said, federal law in DC is one thing, but nation-wide? It would take a lot for that to happen.

And, again, I would totally watch that show. Which would, of course, be called Marshall's Law, and it would focus on a military official called Marshall (last name, probably) who would feel conflicted about his orders.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

I'm curious, what would martial law entail for you?

In this instance, pretty much exactly the way things are functioning now, except with some legal footing for the CinC of the military (POTUS) acting by decree. Because with my admittedly fragmentary knowledge of the American political system, I understand that under normal circumstances, Presidential authority is such that he acts through the houses.  And these have been destroyed.  But his authority does grant him command of the armed forces.  So in a state of martial law, he would have the authority to act in the absence of congress, senate, etc.

But for the third time:

19 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I can see we'll have to agree to disagree about this.  

If there is a martial law, then Kirk will be a dictator, the master, and everyone else are slaves, no rights, no freedom of speech, there will be curfew, the dictator and the military will be in charge.

You don't want that, believe me, maybe just weeks or days he will get overthrown (or assassinated) by the people.

On November 17, 2016 at 6:50 AM, Princess Lucky said:

I am eagerly awaiting the reveal that Wyatt is a mole, by the way.

Oh heck to the no about Wyatt being a mole. The highlights of an episode is President Keifer bellowing 'Wyatt' and he deftly swooping in to quietly do his thing. I did notice that he got a wardrobe upgrade. Before he was wearing the sweater, shirt, tie combo but tonight he was fully dressed in a suit with a blazed. Moving on up, my boy!

It says something that I didn't feel one whit bad for the First Lady when she was confronting her ex in prison and actually was okay with him putting the squeeze on her and the President. Was if a sleazy odious move, sure, but First Lady grates so much.

I don't know what's up with MacLeish now. I've been firm that he wasn't head or voluntarily part of the conspiracy and was coerced through the kidnapping of his child, but now that the show is telegraphing that with Atwood I think they'll swerve again and he may just be that shady. Hopfully not. But calling it now, he takes a bullet meant for Kirkman (and would ensure him as a puppet president for Catalan and Co) and dies saving the President to thwart the plan and as a last moment of redemption. 

• Love 2

Curious about something with the Leo paternity story. I know Kirkman is a novice president, but he's no newbie to how Washington works in general.  A federal prisoner spouting off that he's the secret biological father of the new President's son? The only wonder is that other reporters haven't heard and asked about it already. 

• Love 2
On 11/16/2016 at 11:12 PM, Frozendiva said:

I really miss Aaron Sorkin's White House.

Too many people in the conspiracy make it unwieldy and unstable.  Too many wildcards. Too easy to collapse.

As the White House chips/rots.

I was just thinking that I wish this show was more West Wing and less soap opera.

• Love 2

OK, it was good that the President kept getting called away from what he was doing to deal with other stuff. He SHOULDN'T have a minute to himself to gaze mournfully into the distance, however much he's been able to up until now.

I really hope President Tom is not contemplating freeing his wife's ex. ATM, it's a minor embarrassment. If he gets a pardon (OK, release for time served, but they're implying he's going to pull strings on the guy's behalf) suddenly it's an abuse of power and it won't stop the guy talking because there'd be no reason for him not to. And that ignores the fact that the press already has the story! I get that it's an awkward situation, but he has to come clean.

Not entirely sure what to make of the coach. So he was spying for the US but it turned out he was a double agent? So why did the Russians arrest him then (I guess it could be a case of the left hand - FSB v SVR - not knowing what the right hand is doing)? And why didn't they release him? If he's a double agent, they want him back in the USA! Still I liked that Kirkman was smart - but still outplayed.

FBI Agent (Jason?) is really going to regret not telling the President earlier, as Agent Nikita could have told him. I guess it's to the show's credit that I'm not sure what he's going to do.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:39 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, since they went out of their way to remind us about MacLeish's child disappearing, I'm guessing he's on the same boat as Jason: being forced against his will, instead of actually being involved.  This whole conspiracy aspect is getting a bit convoluted now, to say the least.

Except the EvilConspiracy(TM) did arrange a bomb shelter for him to hide in, so they must need him for something (I can't imagine they planned for him to be offered Speaker or VP, as that seems like such a long shot to hang a plan on). Jason (so far) has not betrayed his duty to save his son. I suspect he'll do something for them initially but then come clean (partly because Agent Nikita will realise he's being coerced).

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 12:55 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I hope the FBI chief ropes in some off book associates to help him out of this kidnapping mess.

Maybe he could contact Carrie Matheson? She knows some "off the books" guys!

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:27 AM, Calvada said:

And why doesn't the FBI guy say he's got to tell the President something only he can hear, instead of sounding like an idiot, while giving the suspected traitor in the room suspicious side glances?

You don't even need to be disrespectful about it. "This is a matter of national security. Until you are appointed VP (...when hell freezes over!) I'm legally barred from telling you. If you don't mind, Sir?"