Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Coming Home Was a Mistake

Spiraling down a dangerous path of self-destruction, Damon’s latest actions prove he may be beyond the point of return. Unwilling to give up on his brother, Stefan is forced to make a gut-wrenching decision that threatens to change their relationship forever. Elsewhere, Bonnie gets advice from Caroline on how to break through to Enzo, while Matt attempts to decipher a mysterious box of messages that he’s received. Finally, after tragedy strikes close to home, Stefan and the others are forced to remember what matters most to them.

Best part of the show was Enzo and Bonnie, everything else at this point is drek. I truly hate the actress that plays the siren who isn't Selene. Yes, she's that freaking bad that I don't even care what her name is. Damn Julie Plec for taking what was once a good show and running it into the horrible train wreck that it is now. I would have preferred that they ended the show last year even with a bunch of hanging storylines than limp along for another half season of such total craptastic writing. 

• Love 4

I'm here to the very end but I'm not really enjoying this season.  When I saw Kevin Williamson was coming back, I was thrilled!  I've always felt he was the real talent behind the first 2 1/2 seasons of TVD. But so far I'm being proven wrong about that - I don't see his magic anywhere so far.

I am totally over the siren thing, both of them. It's boring watching Sybil talk and talk and talk and talk. Seline has been less boring but we haven't seen that much of her until tonight.  Maybe the storyline with the twins will be interesting.

Frustrated and tired of siren-controlled, no humanity Damon.  This is the last season - I want real Damon and I want him sooner than the 15th episode!!  

I've been liking Stefan a lot, he's really determined to save his brother!  And I know Caroline hates Damon, and the various opinions as to why she hates him, but she must know that Stefan loves Damon. My opinion only but she seemed a little too harsh to Stefan while he was worrying about his brother.  I don't know, it's not an argument I want to have but she made some remark to Stefan that made me say "wow, way to be supportive, Caroline".

The parts of the episode with Bonnie and Enzo were good.  The guy playing Matt's dad was good casting, he looks like he could be Matt's dad!  Trevino looked pretty good with his new beard, even playing dead!  Alaric was cute having purple tea.  

And Damon still looks amazing even if he's not himself.

• Love 1

I'm so glad they spent all that time on the Enzo plot because it was all so interesting & the I didn't feel the cure was at all stupid /s>

12 hours ago, Diane said:

This is just bad, I am trying to stick with it but it's just not entertaining.

Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I feel like the most important thing we learned this week is that the Armory is 35 miles from Mystic Falls. And that some dummy (Virginia St. John's great grandfather Dalton) released one of the sirens in 1883. 

Except I forgot who Virginia St. John was. Did we ever meet her? 

10 hours ago, 2Old2BAFangirl said:

It's boring watching Sybil talk and talk and talk and talk.

For those of you who watch The Walking Dead, maybe Sybil & Negan can get together and monologue each other to death.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 11

This is the final Season, a shortened Season and this is what they come up with for characters who have been here from the start? Tyler got a lame death and some "tribute" moment here? Damon spends his time as an unenjoyable to watch Siren-drone? He was actually legit evil when the show started but it still managed to be fun and somewhat layered. Now he is dull-evil. Urgh. 

And while I thought the build-up to Steroline as a couple was actually nice over many Seasons, now that they are a couple, they bore me half to death. They are trying with Bonnie and Enzo and it might be the part of this episode that kept me engaged the most.

Would it have been so bad to have a Season of the gang all fighting the stupid Sirens (and "call me Cade") together? Instead of manufactured angst.  

Overall, I think I`ll pretend Seasons 7 and 8 are just badly written fanfic. I`d throw in Season 6, too, but I really did like Kai.     

• Love 5

I'm wondering what they heck they're going to do with Bonnie and Enzo if they don't manage to get themselves killed. Everyone else seems to be under the impression that Bonnie's going to die of old age so Elena can come back. Is Bonnie cool with that at this point? Is Enzo? I think I remember Bonnie saying Enzo was stuck with her "forever." I don't remember enough about the stupid curse to know if Bonnie can just become a vampire so Elena will still wake up. 

I'm so glad Elena is gone, I found that character so boring and obnoxious! I loved that most of this episode was Bonnie and Enzo. I would have no problem hanging with Enzo in a cabin in the woods.... I know he's not a fav but I've liked that character since he first came on the show. 

So over the sirens! I'm hoping that we somehow get Georgina (the girl from Warehouse..) back. I know there is a huge age gap but I was really hoping that her and Alaric hooked up. 

• Love 1

No mention of Jeremy at all over Tyler being murdered by Damon?

Other than Matt the rest especially Elena won't really care about Tyler at all. At least Caroline called Stefan out on that. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Artsda said:

No mention of Jeremy at all over Tyler being murdered by Damon?

Other than Matt the rest especially Elena won't really care about Tyler at all. At least Caroline called Stefan out on that. 

Seriously. Matt and Caroline were the only ones who cared about Tyler. He started this as a dick because he was secretly a werewolf and didn't know it and he left this show as a pretty decent person, but the rest of the characters don't know that because his storylines have become increasingly isolated over the last 3 seasons.

Alaric and Caroline have Caroline's old home covered in security cameras to protect the girls. But the Armory, which is filled to the brim with highly dangerous magical items and a siren so dangerous that the people who previously ran the Armory could only lock her away as a means to stop her, has nary a camera or a remote alarm indicating that a window sensor has tripped.

Also great job leaving a grad student there as the last line of defense between Sybil and the world. If my grad advisor told me to bang an ancient tuning fork every hour over the PA system, I'd be writing an email to the head of the department or the dean the moment Ric walked out of that building telling them that Ric is fucking bonkers.

He hasn't protected his students by keeping them in the dark. He's just set them up as monster bait. Georgie is dead and part of a ritual to bring Arcadius back. This other dude could have missed his hourly tuning because he got a call, was hungry, or had to go to the bathroom. This would leave Sybil just long enough to escape, encounter the grad student,  and turn him into a thrall, eat him, or just kill him for shits and giggles.

Bonnie and Enzo were the best part of the episode.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Alaric and Caroline have Caroline's old home covered in security cameras to protect the girls. But the Armory, which is filled to the brim with highly dangerous magical items and a siren so dangerous that the people who previously ran the Armory could only lock her away as a means to stop her, has nary a camera or a remote alarm indicating that a window sensor has tripped.

I thought I heard an alarm system go off when Sybil escaped, it's just who the hell would respond? I might be mis-remebering that part though.

12 hours ago, ByTor said:

For those of you who watch The Walking Dead, maybe Sybil & Negan can get together and monologue each other to death.

Thank you for this.  I'm still laughing hours later.

I liked Bonnie and Enzo.  They didn't get any build up before TIIC decided to make them a couple, but KG and MM are doing great selling the SL which is good because once again the writers couldn't be bothered to do their job.  I liked that Enzo was willing to die to save Bonnie, and Bonnie wouldn't leave Enzo behind.  It's nice someone finally put Bonnie first.

Also, I'm sad to say I always wanted more focus on Damon/Stefan's relationship, and now I realize this so goes under the heading of be careful what you wish for.  I am beyond tired of Damon/Stefan having the same freaking conversation over and over and over again.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2
On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 6:25 PM, miss-vanilla said:

I thought I heard an alarm system go off when Sybil escaped, it's just who the hell would respond? I might be mis-remebering that part though.

An alarm did go off in the Armory, but considering how dangerous everything is in the Armory there really should be camera feeds to everyone's homes (Bonnie's cabin, the Salvatore house, and Alaric's place) as well as some sort of cell phone alert.

When Selene and the girls were attacked, Caroline was able to observe it remotely at I think the Armory because the cameras fed to a bank of servers there for Alaric to monitor when he was away. You would think that they would have a similar set up for the building that houses the equivalent of magical nukes.

Edited by HunterHunted
On 11/19/2016 at 0:48 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I feel like the most important thing we learned this week is that the Armory is 35 miles from Mystic Falls. And that some dummy (Virginia St. John's great grandfather Dalton) released one of the sirens in 1883. 

Did she? I must have nodded off. I'm so bored with this season. Damon's evil again? Booooring. My heart was a little bit touched at Bonnie and Enzo. That's it. I will watch until the bitter end though. Kill 'em all Matt!

On 11/19/2016 at 7:56 AM, Aeryn13 said:

Overall, I think I`ll pretend Seasons 7 and 8 are just badly written fanfic. I`d throw in Season 6, too, but I really did like Kai.     

Good idea. I liked Kai too. 

• Love 2
On 11/19/2016 at 8:46 AM, ByTor said:

Oh. Good. Lord. No.  I read this and almost started to hyperventilate.  Alllll that talking...it would be an entire season in and of itself.

Enzo/Bonnie really works for me.  I wasn't sure that I believed that whole crazy thing last season, but props for finding the chemistry and Kat and Michael share.  It's the only part of this that feels good to me.

Like many of you, I'm struggling with this season.  I remember when TVD was appointment TV.  Like, I'd race home from work b/c I couldn't miss it.  Now, I almost forget it is on.  I wanted to hope for this final season finding it's way and there is certainly still time, but any resolution to the siren storyline won't come fast enough.

• Love 1

I kept fantasizing about Damon or Stefan bringing up George Lockwood, the one who was  Damon's good friend and secretly a werewolf who colluded with Katherine in her Evil Doings back then. Now I think about it I don't suppose George can carry much blame for how things turned out for Stefan and Damon (I dimly remember him helping Katherine fake her entombment?), but I doubt he's a warm memory knowing what they know now. And Damon does have a thing for punishing family for the deeds of their ancestors.