Type keyword(s) to search

The Royals and Company: The Cast Thread

larry.lahr
  • Start Topic

After watching Season 4, we decided to watch "The Iron Lady" - Margaret Thatcher in her declining years as played by Meryl Streep.  Hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters.

Imagine my shock when I realized that the actress who played her much-put-upon daughter was Olivia Colman - with a blond wig and a fake nose!!!!!

Now I understand why "the queen" was so condescending to Thatcher in their scenes on "The Crown."  LOL.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

After watching Season 4, we decided to watch "The Iron Lady" - Margaret Thatcher in her declining years as played by Meryl Streep.  Hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters.

Imagine my shock when I realized that the actress who played her much-put-upon daughter was Olivia Colman - with a blond wig and a fake nose!!!!!

Now I understand why "the queen" was so condescending to Thatcher in their scenes on "The Crown."  LOL.

Next on my list to watch!  Thanks!

• Love 2

Well, I can now firmly say that I can't just get behind the current actor for Phillip. The first one, he pulled off the "prince" perfectly. But the current one...I don't even think it is his acting, it's his looks. He always comes off like a small time criminal to me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

Well, I can now firmly say that I can't just get behind the current actor for Phillip. The first one, he pulled off the "prince" perfectly. But the current one...I don't even think it is his acting, it's his looks. He always comes off like a small time criminal to me.

When he told Diana "it won't end well for you" or however he said it?  That face, that tone, sent a shiver down my back.  

It definitely sounded like a threat.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They cast Dominick West as Charles. Since Matthew Goode isn't going to happen, I was hoping for Ioan Grufford. Oh, well.

Has that been finalized yet?  Last thing I saw online was a month ago, and it was in the late stages of talks, but nothing signed yet.

Interesting.  They get a guy who cheats on his wife to play a guy who cheats on his wife.  He ought to be able to play that role without much effort.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Has that been finalized yet?

I hope not!  This has to be one of the craziest cast choices ever.  Nope!  Only thing crazier would be to choose Kristen Stewart to play Diana in a movie.  Oh, wait..

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

I hope not!  This has to be one of the craziest cast choices ever.  Nope!  Only thing crazier would be to choose Kristen Stewart to play Diana in a movie.  Oh, wait..

It feels really weird to have a person who radiated warmth and charisma played by someone who...doesn't. (And I'm saying this as someone who generally enjoys Kristen's work.) Anyway, Dominick West creeped me out a bit when he suggested Hannah Winterbourne, a trans soldier and activist, should play James Bond. It wasn't the idea that was bad but the way he suggested it gave me the creeps. Like he was hitting on her. She's married, btw.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

According to the interwebs, he was already on The Crown as Jock Colville. I have no memory of who that was. (Hiya AZ!)

Hi, LWG! I see that you are correct.  He played an aide to Churchill.  Darn!!!!

• Love 2

Kevin McNally, who played Thatcher's press secretary Bernard Ingham, and Ben Daniels, who played Lord Snowdon during season 3, were both in the movie Conspiracy.  Colin Firth was also in it, whom I mention because of his uncanny resemblance to George VI.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, that movie has been on my mind of late.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Useful 2
On 11/17/2020 at 11:52 AM, AZChristian said:

I plan to watch this when I finish season 4!  Looking forward to it. Taking season 4 slowly since I’m not sure how long we’ll have to wait for a season 5!  

• Love 2

Emerald Fennell's film has been nominated for multiple Oscars!

Best Picture - “Promising Young Woman”
Best Director - Emerald Fennell
Best Original Screenplay - Emerald Fennell
Best Actress - Carey Mulligan
Best Film Editing

Vanessa Kirby has also been nominated for an Oscar!

Best Actress - "Pieces of a Woman"

• Love 4

Minor character whom I did not recognize  . . . Margaret 's friend,  Anne Tennant, played Lady  Felicia in Father Brown  Mysteries.

I know!  Nancy Carroll.  I was very disappointed she was given so little to do.

7 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I know!  Nancy Carroll.  I was very disappointed she was given so little to do.

Guess there wasn't much to scream about (Lady Felicia's go-to "dialogue" in Father Brown) on The Crown.

• LOL 2
On 11/20/2020 at 10:42 PM, methodwriter85 said:

They cast Dominick West as Charles. Since Matthew Goode isn't going to happen, I was hoping for Ioan Grufford. Oh, well.

On 11/21/2020 at 12:06 AM, Umbelina said:

That's pretty hard to imagine.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, AZChristian said:

Has that been finalized yet?  Last thing I saw online was a month ago, and it was in the late stages of talks, but nothing signed yet.

Interesting.  They get a guy who cheats on his wife to play a guy who cheats on his wife.  He ought to be able to play that role without much effort.

On 11/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, Cementhead said:

I don't know how to put this...

I know D West often plays messed up people but isn't he a bit too "hunky" for Charles.

Prince Charles actually did not age all that fast when he was with Diana.

As a child, I did not even realize there was such a great age difference between them.

In a perfect world, O'Connor would be fine playing later Charles with just a hint of grey.

• Love 7

Recently re-watched The Night Manager miniseries which Olivia Colman starred in. I hadn't seen in years so I forgot Tobias Menses was also in it. Weird now to see them together not looking or speaking like Elizabeth and Phillip and being adversaries!

Screenshot_20210808-205847.thumb.png.ae8780d6e3c61db7f919f32db8daa903.png

Screenshot_20210808-210240.thumb.png.5834c32565b62c5ee8f07395ec4247ca.png

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, qtpye said:

I don't know how to put this...

I know D West often plays messed up people but isn't he a bit too "hunky" for Charles.

Prince Charles actually did not age all that fast when he was with Diana.

As a child, I did not even realize there was such a great age difference between them.

In a perfect world, O'Connor would be fine playing later Charles with just a hint of grey.

I was gonna say that DW was too hot to play Charles, but too hunky is spot-on.

ITA that they should just age up with makeup, et al, most of the current cast at this point. It's also strange they are recasting Diana for S5 as she'll essentially be the same age (30s) and EC was perfection in the role. And since we're not getting into modern day AFAIK, OC, TM, HBC could probably still pull off their roles.

• Love 4
On 8/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, Fool to cry said:

Recently re-watched The Night Manager miniseries which Olivia Colman starred in. I hadn't seen in years so I forgot Tobias Menses was also in it. Weird now to see them together not looking or speaking like Elizabeth and Phillip and being adversaries!

Screenshot_20210808-205847.thumb.png.ae8780d6e3c61db7f919f32db8daa903.png

Screenshot_20210808-210240.thumb.png.5834c32565b62c5ee8f07395ec4247ca.png

Elizabeth Debicki was in it, too. (I haven’t seen it yet, but it’s on my watch list. Someone recommended it to me after I’d seen the movie Widows and commented how perfect I thought she’s be as Diana.)

• Love 1

I'm a big fan of the books and TV series of CB Strike.  Just realized that Tom Burke - who plays the starring role in the TV series - played Dazzle - the friend of Margaret's who went into the priesthood.

Talk about different characters!!!

Ben Daniels, who played Lord Snowdon in seasons 3 and 4, has been cast in Rings of Power in an as-yet unnamed role.  

As the oldest member of the ROP cast, he will likely play Cirdan, the oldest of the Elves.  But with his experience playing the husband of Princess Margaret, he could also be Celeborn, the husband of Galadriel.