Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AntiBeeSpray

In-show Advertisments

We all know those moments in a show when a character uses a product so blatantly that you could swear they're trying to shill something...

Just saw one on NCIS, where they're trying to sell Windows 8... along with a touch screen computer. /facepalm

I see enough advertisement between breaks. Not that I haven't noticed this stuff before... SVU is known for it... they had either Windows tablets or Apple ones on their show not too long ago, and Bones did it with Toyota vehicles.

But I swear, it makes me want to throw something at my tv.

What are your thoughts on it? What are some of the ones you've seen before?

• Like 1

Rizzoli & Isles is terribly blatant about it; not only will it zoom in on the product being used, they'll devote a couple of lines to the characters raving about it.  And then there will be an interstitial tying the product to the show on top of that.

Granted, this is among the lesser of the show's many issues, but it's nonetheless annoying. 

Applebee's had a big presence on Friday Night Lights, but I didn't mind it because they kept it in the appropriate context. Some characters worked there, the gang went there after the games, but it wasn't shoved down the viewers throats (e.g., we didn't have the guidance counseling being all "I know that you work a lot of hours at Applebee's casual dining restaurant, which is running a special on appetizers right now, but you need to pay more attention to your classwork.")

Warehouse 13 did this in season 2 with Myka's obsession with Twizzlers and season 3/4 with Jinks' Prius. Olive Garden got a quick shout out by Pete in the first episode of season 5 - "Olive Garden? Mmm white chocolate cheesecake!"

Today's entire General Hospital was an hour-long ad for Yoplait Yogurt.  "And I like that it has real fruit in it."

Wow O_O, that's just bad.

• Like 1

There's a show on CBS called Recipe Rehab.  Well, they are now getting into product placement.  So subtle like.  Jenny-o turkey.  Every time they mentioned turkey, they said Jenny-o and lifted up the package. Almost as subtle as on The Chew when they mention putting Hidden Valley Ranch in the recipes --- as if the Iron Chefs are really using it.

My husband used to watch the Hawaii Five-0 reboot because at first it was good, cheesy fun. Then they started with the Subway product placement, which he said was painfully awkward and stilted. He quit watching after a scene where a guy said something like, "I'll get to that after I finish my [pick up the sandwich and then turn towards the camera holding it up with the logo clearly visible] Subway sandwich."

Edited by Queasy-bo

I love Teen Wolf, but they've had some ridiculous product placement moments over the past couple of seasons.  This is one of the best - keep in mind, it's supposed to be a tense scene.  So I guess why not use it to demonstrate the Nokia Lumia?

"But first...I'm gonna take your picture...with the outstanding quality of the Nokia Lumina smartphone...the Lumina is the preferred camera phone of criminal masterminds such as myself..."

• Like 2

So I'm watching "Days of Our Lives" today, and one young female character (Abigail) is talking to another young female character (Paige) (who she really doesn't know all that well), and Abigail says that she's very upset because her friend Gabi just murdered her (Abigail's) cousin Nick, Gabi's ex-husband.  "Plus I'm just feeling so cramped and bloated because I've run out of Midol."  And Paige whips a box out of her purse and tells her, "Well, not any more"  Then after a real commercial break, they come back to a closeup of the Midol box sitting on the coffee table, and Abigail rhapsodizing about how the Midol has made her feel so much better.