Type keyword(s) to search

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This week's episode was sort of the OldJo remake of Parasyte, except that The Thing What Came From The Arm has an even more obnoxious, yet comedic, personality than usual for the bad guys on this show. Reminded me a bit of the miniature Ash monsters from Army of Darkness, but much more talkative.

Nice that OldJo used his Harmon abilities a bit, then did his "I'm going to predict what you're about to say" shtick. That's always fun. Was anyone else expecting him to cut off his own arm? That's what about a zillion other over-the-top anime characters would have done.

Seems like Polnareff has been getting a lot of screen time in the last few episodes. Maybe they're setting him up to be the next casualty.

I wonder if Horse's Hole knows that he was actually dating a fat old lady who's even more evil than he is.

Enya's cat was the most un-catlike cat that ever catted. When a human starts screaming, shouting, and jumping up and down, cats run away. They don't just stand there growling and hissing. Unless maybe they're vampire cats. Hey, this show had vampire horses in the last series, so why not a vampire cat?

And speaking of Enya, I hadn't noticed before that she has two right hands just like her son. Two rights make a wrong...no wait, I used that joke already.

I love that we got a reference to Joseph’s “I’ll tell you what you’re going to say” thing.  He still has it!

This show is still kind of derogatory towards India.  Not really going for the export market?  (Or that’s how the Japanese view India?)

Jojo and the Jojettes pick up the Annoying Waif again, then take on the Wheel of Fortune user. I didn't catch his name, so I assume it's Pat Sajak. Highlights of the episode:

• NewJo beats up a car.
  • OldJo going "Oh No!!" with the Home Alone pose.

This week: the boys take on Christine. That's basically it. Team Jojo and Polmareff's tendency of being an asshole take on a Stand disguised as a car. Which is visible to the girl, who's back because why not? Here are two cut scenes:

Girl: Say, what happened the the tall Egyptian guy?

Kakyoin: He died from Polnareff's stubbornness and overall stupidity.

Girl: Oh, so basically like we're gonna get killed right now.

Polnareff: Mon dieu!!

---

Girl: I can see the stand. That's not good. If an orangutan comes out smoking a cigarette, I'm going to die. Just gonna leap off the mountain, because I do not need that shit again.

Jotaro: Could we get that in writing?

Girl: (sparkling) So cool!!!!!

Jotaro: Good fucking grief. I have underwear older than you.

---

Turns out the Stand user (real name below in spoilers) was the last one that the old bat has sicced on the gang. Rather than feeling good about killing Avdol and his Blaziken, she's going to go up against the boys herself, using her own Stand: Justice. I imagine DIO is somewhere else, flexing in front of a mirror and finally admitting that Jonathan Joestar was way more endowed than him. Oh, and the boys leave WoF's user chained to a boulder, with a sign saying that he's a monk, and not to interrupt his meditation. Damn, that's brutal. And awesome.

Spoiler

Wheel of Fortune's user? ZZ, according to the Wikia I found. His gimmick is the big biceps, as opposed to being a sharp-dressed man. Or maybe he's got legs . . . weak, weak legs.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:00 AM, Lantern7 said:

This week: the boys take on Christine.

And NewJo's last name is Kujo. It's like Stephen King week here. Maybe Enya's stand will be a possessed clothes-folding machine, or a extradimensional alien clown.

The fun continues. The gang stops off in Pakistan, and shit just goes straight downhill. Mysterious wounds, unresponsive and diseased citizens, and Jojo almost impaling himself on a fence because he thought that was pulling a Dukes of Hazard-style move with the car. Oh, and his greeting to a local, which was painful.

Anyway, it turns out Enyaba's in town, and she lures the gang to their demise . . . especially Polnareff, who killed her son. Because she can fuck up anybody, Hol Horse stops by the hotel, and Enyaba responds by stabbing a hole in him with scissors and letting her Stand (Justice, which reminds me of the skeletal Hueco Mundo guy from Bleach) gets into the wound. Hol breaks out his Emperor gun, but Enyaba gets him to shoot himself in the head, which alerts our protagonists. To be continue, oh-way-oh.

In other news, Jotaro gets a perfect replica of his jacket. And the girl gets sent home . . . but damn, how lucky is Jotaro?!?

"Justice" wraps up next week. Then we get a week off for a DBZK marathon. I like the idea that JBA airs after it, as if to try and overcompensate for the pink blob monster that can't be killed, turns people into candy, and eats them. With JBA, there are so many "HOLY FUCK!!!" moments, and the characters share our shock.

It's not clear exactly how much of the weirdness in that town was caused by Enya, and how much was just bizarre locals being bizarre. It was like the Jojo crew had just rolled into Innsmouth or something.

Still no indication as to why Enya used Justice on Random McDude before our heroes even got there. And someone ought to tell OldJo that there's no way the guy's gun would still be smoking after two minutes or more.

Horse's Hole has two new holes now.

Polnareff's squeamishness about strange bathrooms seems odd, considering that he's from the country that gave us the bidet, and where squat toilets are common in public restrooms.

"Justice" wraps up. Polnareff inadvertently slams on Enyaba's berserk button over andover until she snaps. Between her attack and Hol Horse's warning, Polnereff winds up in a bad situation. As he put it: "HOLY SHIT, WE GOT ZOMBIES!!!" Then he becomes Enyaba's bitch; she manages to get his tongue wounded, and a wound is all it takes for her to control people, including the dead. Polnareff's indignities continue, as he's forced to lick the hotel's toilet. It looked unclean, but maybe it hadn't been used in forever. With the Frenchman's luck, Enyaba probably took old lady dumps there for weeks.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, Jotaro figures shit out with his years of watching Columbo as a kid. Hey, it's not that weird. Ichigo dug Al Pacino in the Bleach manga. Star Platinum goes sickhouse on the zombie. Then a hole-riddled baby zombie pokes Jotaro in the leg, and the fun begins for Enyaba . . . at least until Star Platinum inhales Justice, causing the hag to suffocate.

Denouement. After Jojo has fun on Polnareff's expense, he comes up with a plan: go into a town, use Hermit Purple with a TV to read Enyaba's mind. Yes, she is still alive. So is Hol Horse, who steals their ride. Because he's that big of a prick. Not like the team had a Stand that could wriggle long distances and fire projectiles. Right, Kakyoin?

When Enya was internal monologuing about how dead she was going to kill Polnareff, the marionette she was imagining had Polnareff's big hair. Made me laugh.

Man, Polnareff's toilet fixation came back to bite him in a big way. Jojo is never going to let him live that down. And who knew that zombies had long pointy tongues that are sharp enough to cause wounds? Anyway, it's mighty impressive that Polnareff has a tongue strong enough that she was able to pick him up by it.

Speaking of tongues, Ol' Lady Enya seemed just a little bit too enthusiastic and knowledgeable about licking. Like maybe she's been backstage with the band a few hundred times, if you know what I mean.

I went to Javits Center once again this past weekend, this time for the inaugural Anime NYC.

1. I showed up on the first floor at the right time, as a bunch of Jojo-based cosplayers got together and posed for pictures. Mine start here; sadly, I could only identify the first three versions and the schoolkids from Diamond Is Unbreakable. From what I was told, the first five seasons ("Phantom Blood" through "Vento Aureo") were represented, as well as the eighth ("Jojolion"). I'm thinking that Jojo otaku are intense, since I believe only the first four editions have been turned into anime. I missed out on several shots, including one of Caesar hugging the grandfather he never met.

2. Blind item figures are a weakness. I found a few tables selling Jojo stuff, but it was too expensive for me on Friday and Saturday. But I had lots of money left over on Sunday, and I shelled out $20 on what was a second edition of "Stardust Crusaders" figures. I would up with this guy. Mon dieu!!

DSCN1221.thumb.JPG.9bc6ca859dbb7e2ed047526ca7db116d.JPG

3. I got my third Jojo-themed sketch for my collection, this one featuring Jonathan from "Battle Tendency." I also had references for that Jojo from "Stardust Crusaders" and Dio Brando ("Phantom Blood"), but I didn't convert those. "Stardust Crusader" sketches my be tougher for me to ask for. Do I go with characters? Characters and their stands on the same page? I mean, I could probably get Enya and Justice because the former is so short and the latter is mostly ethereal, but other combos might be problematic.

joseph-battle.jpg.94cb900905663dc481097ee311a68f98.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 17wheatthins said:

My son would be totally jealous of your Polnaref (sp?) figurine! The only guy he likes better is Hol Horse (and of course, Joseph Joestar). 

I didn't think $20 was a reasonable price, to be honest, especially for a figure that small. I think blind-item keychains were selling at $15. If you go to an anime con with enough vendors, you're going to see lots of imported knick-knacks, including blind item figures. I searched online, and Polnareff is from the second line of "Stardust Crusaders" figures known as Chara Heroes. You can take a look here; they go up to the sixth iteration, "Stone Ocean." Keep in mind that the names are linked to profiles, so you might get spoilers by accident.

Quick question before tonight's episode. The Justice Stand basically takes over body parts that are cut/wounded by Enya, right? And I get the dense fog. But how did Joseph almost impale himself on a fence, thinking he was making a sweet move getting into the car? I'm good with him hanging in the air for about ten seconds before he brought out Hermit Purple to save him. That's Anime Physics 105.

Hey, there's a small chain of buffet-style restaurants down in the Bay Area that slow roasts beef and poultry the same way that guy was making kebabs, and they have it set up so that it's a windowed display next to the front doors as you come in. Damn, now I'm hungry for some Harry's Hofbrau...

I love the fact that a guy who's selling food uses his "starving children" as a bargaining point. Amazing coincidence that Kebab Guy also just happens to be Steely Dan, who's waiting for Team Jostar.

Dan's Stand and the team's response are basically The Corsican Brothers meets Fantastic Voyage.

Ridiculous Line of the Night: (Jojo reacting to Enya's death) "OOHH GOOODDD!!!"

17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And I get the dense fog. But how did Joseph almost impale himself on a fence, thinking he was making a sweet move getting into the car?

Maybe whatever it was about the fog that made the graveyard look like a city also made the fence look like their car? I dunno.

To review:

Jojo: Okay,crew! Civilization! We're gonna get to a TV, I'll use Hermit Purple to get inside Enyaba's head, and we'll be informed on DIO's Stand! I'm hungry. Who wants kababs??

(five minutes later)

Kakyoin: . . . and the vendor is a minion of DIO. And he just murdered our most promising lead. Of course.

Polnareff: Do any of you remember a time where we would meet people, and they weren't a solider of DIO or being affected by one?

Jotaro: I know, right? Anne's probably gonna kill us with her Stand five seconds before we get to DIO. Fuck my life. I mean . . . good grief.

Steely Dan of Steel: You guys looking for a villain to have honor? Well, keep waiting, assholes! [demonstrates his Lovers upon Jotaro]

Jojo: OH MY GOD SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!

Jotaro: Were you like this with the Pillar People? Because that is sad, old man.

Kakyoin: We'll come up with a plan! Just make sure Stee-

Dan of Steel: [hissing] Dude . . . lawyers . . .

Kakyoin: Right . . . just keep him busy.

Dan of Steel: Growing up alone, I never had a little brother to physically and emotionally abuse. Are you up for that job?

[elsewhere]

Polnareff: This is insane! You want us to project our Stands into Mr. Joestar's brain?!?

Kakyoin: Look, one of us had to have a plan. I'm smart, and you? You are the worst.

Polnareff: That's not true!

Kakyoin: Okay . . . since Mr. Joestar is busy and Jotaro is elsewhere, why don't  we ask Mr. Avdol? Oh, right . . . we can't. Because he's dead. Thanks to you.

Polnareff: When will you let that go?!?

Kakyoin: When Mr. Joestar stops breaking your balls about you licking the toliet.

Jojo: Which will be in about two minutes unless you goldbricks get moving!

Polnareff: He was a hero fifty years ago?

Kakyoin: I know, right?

Rewatching the episode. I think Polnareff used the French word for "grandma" as Enya was painfully dying. That's Enya, a woman who attacked him with zombies and forced him to lick a toilet. Such is the evil of Steely Dan of Steel.

Stupid question: did Jojo get a new prosthetic hand at the same place Jotaro picked up another uniform? I'm just going to roll my eyes, say "Speedwagon Foundation," and leave it at that.

ETA: Caught a few scenes during SNL. Basically, The Lovers is/are a Stand that multiples rapidly and resembles a crab. You may discuss. Honestly, though, doesn't Dan look like the kind of guy that would give you crabs? And I'm shutting up now.

This week: Dan humiliates Jotaro. Jotaro takes repeated beatings. Jotaro keeps a running tab on all of the abuse, physical and emotional. Dan fails to kill Jojo. Jotaro fucks him up. Dan vows not to cross Jotaro and his crew. Dan tries to stick the Lovers into a girl's ear (ick). Jotaro foils that, then proceeds to take payment out of Dan's pathetic ass, courtesy of Star Platinum. Dan is probably still alive, but what remains of his body can now fit into a medium-sized bucket. Meanwhile, I don't think Jojo will be able to drive because of all the havoc caused in his brain. Old-fashioned solar-powered hamon might have destroyed the tentacles, but the Stands and decoy crabs had to have caused damage.

On 12/10/2017 at 0:56 AM, Sandman87 said:

I have to wonder why Kakyoin didn't just stick his Green Elephant in Dan and take control of him.

Hmmm. Jojo experiences pain when Dan is struck. Kakyoin summons Hierophant Green to slither into Dan's body. The Stand ignites so much pleasure into Dan's body, the Lovers would be overwhelmed and leave Jojo's body. Jojo would probably be dead, in the most pleasurable way a person can die. You got a point, but I think Dr. Kujo administering a near-fatal dose of OraOraOra was for the best.

ETA: Does the mangaka have a tongue fetish? Dan licking Jotaro's books, Polnareff forced to lick a toilet, the fake Kakyoin licking a cherry in a disturbing way, the real Kakyoin licking a cherry in a disturbing way. . .

ETA2: I keep meaning to make motivational posts from JBA. I whipped this one up last night, in case you haven't seen the Motivator thread.

Funny thing . . . I watched Black Clover on DVR, and that included the teaser for JBA. It didn't pop up last week, and I'm hoping it happens on Saturday's episode before the holiday break. Why? For this line:

Spoiler

Kakyoin: I really don't care that you're a baby. I'll snap your neck like a twig!

This week: Joseph teaches the crew how to traverse the desert. Poorly. And then the team is roasted by the Sun Stand, with no user in sight. Camels are killed, the canteen is shot, and the younger guys crack up. But it turns out they saw where the user was. One rock throw from Star Platinum later, we find out the bastard was finding behind a rig with a mirror. With air conditioning. Gotta love Joseph lampshading that they never even found out the guy's name. (It's Arabia Fats. But you don't care, correct?)

Another amusing bit: Team Jojo sailed past the Iran/Iraq War, and nothing fucked up happened. Under normal circumstances, the boys probably would have ended things in three days, but they are on a schedule. Because of Holly. Who is dying because she's manifesting a Stand, and confronting DIO is the only way to fix it. Admit it, some of you forgot about Holly. Fess up!!

Here's part of the undubbed episode. I'm happy to say that Richard Epcar got very close to the Japanese VA's exclaimations: "OH, SHIT!" at 3:27; "SON OF A BITCH!" at 4:15.

For those who are wondering: 70 degrees Celsius equals 158 Fahrenheit. And there's Jotaro wearing a heavy jacket with a chain hanging from it. Hey, why not? Also, I saw a Watch Mojo bit about anime characters with absurd hair. Before that, I did not notice that you cannot see where his hat ends and his hair begins. Freaky, right?

13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Did anyone else think that the mysterious stand user might have been one of the camels? I mean, if an ape can do it...

At one point, I thought the user might have been inside a camel. I mean, precedent has been set already.

ETA for tweaking. Also, I needed to go online to convert the temperature. And I'm bummed out that the line from the bump wasn't said. Now we gotta wait three weeks, minimum.

Nobody else watched the episode? We're going to go without "new" stuff until January 6.

I made this poster from an image on the Toonami Tumblr. I think it seems about right.

ETA: (early 12/24) Two things. One, here's the opening with English subtitles. Lots of Engrish I couldn't make out before seeing it. Two, did anybody notice Star Platinum having grooves in his fingers as he/it held The Lovers. Apparently, some Stands have prints. Go figure.

Kakyoin: Guys! I don't know how . . . I don't know why . . . but I think this baby is a Stand User!!!!!

Jojo: Eh?

Kakoyin: I have dreams that I can't remember . . . and I carved "BABY STAND" into my arm . . . but there's no blood on my blade! This baby . . . . God help us . . . is trying to kill us!!

Jotaro: Oh, good grief.

Polnareff: I know, right? Mon dieu, so impossible!

Jotaro: No, I completely buy it. Every fifth person we've met has tried to murder us. This baby wouldn't be different. And look at this. . . .the kid has fangs.

Jojo: Awesome. Throw it in the fire! We'll get that damn DIO soon!

Polnareff: How funny would it be if Mrs. Joestar is already dead or in DIO's thrall, and we're basically wasting our time on this quest?

Jojo: [takes deep breath . . . pummels Polnareff to a pulp, followed by choking him with Hermit Purple]

Jotaro: Good grief.

ETA: Can a baby put out a solid log at eleven months? Thanks for the pixelation, guys. Seriously.

Edited by Lantern7

So the kid deliberately pulled the dog into the dream with Polnareff for some reason and then accidentally killed it? Or the dog just wandered into the dream on it's own? I'm confused.

That kid's going to be completely screwed if Jojo or Jotaro knows how to do active lucid dreaming.

ETA: Can a baby put out a solid log at eleven months? Thanks for the pixelation, guys. Seriously.

According to my Mom, yes. I just asked her. And then she wanted to know why I needed that information.

Edited by Sandman87

Here's my question: where in the everloving fuck did DIO find this baby? I can buy that he could sense evil. Or maybe his parents brought him to DIO.

Father: Okay, I know you're looking for . . . "Stands"? This kid qualifies. Hand to God, he can enter your dreams and sic a reaper-wielding clown on you. Ever see A Nightmare on Elm Street? Core concept, expect this Freddy doesn't make post-kill jokes.

DIO: (licking his lips) Kinky. Do you have proof?

Father: Tell you what . . . can you go to sleep? Go to sleep, he'll come in, and he'll nick you a little. He's evil, but I think he wants to be a team player about it.

DIO: A cut on my hand would suffice. I wouldn't mind, especially since I got this body from a dead man from the neck down. And you're okay with me taking him and aiming him toward the infernal Joestar family?

Father: Sir, we have lost four dogs, two cats, and a cousin. You take him, we'll be free to try to explain the missing cousin. Also, we can conceive a child that is not fucking Damien. Look at him! He's got fangs!!! And he's not even a year old! If you kill him five minutes after we leave, I would not blame you one bit!

As for the episode? Kakoyin saves the boys from getting Kreugerred to death. The "Lally-ho" where having Hierophant Green sneak up on Death was especially funny. And I was good with his threatening the tyke. But dropping that into the baby mash? Ewwwwww. Even pixelated, that's still gross. I think the baby would rather have the Star Platinum experience Steely Dan of Steel got from Jotaro.

ETA: "Are you sure it's not Death B?" "Polnereff, the 1 and 3 aren't that close together." "Just wanted to check."

Edited by Lantern7

I also want to know why the kid had vampire fangs.

4 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

So what was the genius baby going to do if he had succeeded in killing off all of the others while they were out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of Saudi Arabia?

Hell, he'd probably figure out a way to drive the car or use the radio. Or build a dimensional transporter, since he's basically Stewie Griffin with a stand. Hey, do you suppose the dog's name was Brian?

Edited by Sandman87

Every time I think this show can’t get stranger, it does   

It’s silly, but I kind of hope the guy on the island turns out to be Abdel.  Maybe heard Mr. Joestar have been playing the ol’ switcheroo the whole time?

This week: The crew visits Papa Avdol; Polnareff makes wishes on an old lamp, and brings back his sister as . . .  well, I think "Ghoul" fits, given that this is an anime.

Next week: Polnareff tells his friends what happened; his friends take the first half of the episode trying to beat the stupid out of him. Maybe it's all that hair weighing down on his brain.

I know that characters are apt to lose intelligence in situations like that, but it looked like horror movies never ran in France. Maybe people weren't as savvy about tropes in the Eighties, but it never occurred to Polnareff that wishing his dead sister Cherie back to life was a bad idea. Of course the genie -- "Cameo" -- was a Stand. My guess is that Joseph attempts to keep DIO away from Papa Avdol was in vain, and DIO probably parked a dude on the island "just in case." If he has a right hand person like Enyaba was, someone that could see where the gang was heading, I'd also buy that.

Not much else to add. Papa Avdol has names for the chickens . . . in particular, "Michael," "Prince" and "Lionel." I am an easy mark, because that was funny.

Edited by Lantern7

So, chickens named after Michael Jackson, Prince, and Lionel Ritchie? And a stand named after a R&B/funk band? Ok then.

I guess Polnareff is unaware that about 75% of all genies will deliberately stick it to you while granting the letter of your wish.

I’m getting a little tired of Polnareff being the dullest tool in the shed, since it means we get proportionally more episodes about him.  Jotaro (autocorrect: “Notarized”) may have been featured the least of anyone.

I guess I’m used to this kind of show demonstrating some kind of growth arc for the title character, but once again JoJo surprises me.  

Watching SNL. Caught a little bit of JBA; will see the whole thing tomorrow. Sadly, the dub didn't capture the awesome Engrish exchange between Polnareff and Avdol.

Polnareff: MOHAMMED AVDOL!!!!

Avdol: YES! I AM! [striking uncharacteristic pose]

Kanji: "BAM"

I'll try and find the episode with subs. I got that exchange from a "Best Engirsh" compilation of all four seasons. That includes spoilers for "Stardust Crusaders," so that's whu I'm not posting it here.

Edited by Lantern7

First they make a bad guy eat poop, then they pee in another's mouth. I shudder to think what they'll inflict on the next one. "All right Polnareff, you get the lemon juice and the hedgehog, and I'll pull his pants down..."

I'm used to being on the same wavelength with characters while watching a show . . . but for the characters to actually agree with me? That feels good . . . like I'm justified in my opinion.

Polnareff: Hey, guys! Short story: a Stand got defeated, and the user was even sadder than the Sun guy . . . and Avdol's back!!!! Mon dieu, how awesome is that?!?

Joseph: We knew, buddy.

Polnareff: Wha?!?

Jotaro: We didn't actually bury him. I mean, he's enough of a badass to crawl out of a makeshift grave after being mistaken for dead. But no, he's been hiding out here for the most part.

Polnareff: Sacre bleu!!! And . . . Kakoyin?!?

Kakoyin: My idea not to loop you in. I mean, you were the newest of the gr- . . . ah, fuck it. We figured you'd get overexcited and let DIO know he was alive. Because you're that dumb. But hey, you did avenge your sister in killing J. Geil Centerfold.

Polanreff: [I'm too lazy to look up another French expression]!!! But . . . all this time . . . the battles without him . . . and meeting his father . . .

Avdol: That was me. In disguise. It was all I could do not to burst out laughing.

Joseph: Same here.

Polnareff: You . . . mother . . . .fucking . . . .bastards . . . (Silver Chariot materializes)

Avdol: Look at what I got for us! An actual yellow submarine!!!

Polnareff: Vidal Sasson! I can't stay mad at you guys!

23 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

First they make a bad guy eat poop, then they pee in another's mouth. I shudder to think what they'll inflict on the next one. "All right Polnareff, you get the lemon juice and the hedgehog, and I'll pull his pants down..."

The Stand user (his name's Cameo; Judgement was the Stand) was hiding out underground breathing through a really obvious straw. Not like the boys knocked him out and directly pissed in his mouth. At this point, I'd say the Geneva Convention doesn't apply to anybody DIO sics on the gang.

Here's the unsubbed scene I was talking about; the Engrish exchange is at 0:33.

Edited by Lantern7

The high point of this week's episode was a shot of a magazine cover featuring New York's mayor, Smokey Brown! Remember him?

Otherwise, the Team Jojo boys have to deal with a Blue Meanie that's infiltrated their Yellow Submarine.

Cartoon Network is fucked up on my system, so I can't see the episode. I can probably catch in "On Demand" at worse. I just have a JBA itch that needs to be scratched, but I don't feel like binging. This is what I got from the Tumblr. Needless to say, I'm pissed off.

Wait . . . I thought the end of "Battle Tendency" implied Smokey was mayor of Atlanta? New York wouldn't be a huge stretch for the mid-Eighties; David Dinkins was elected in 1989 and served from 1990-1994. And now I'm hoping for an OVA where Team Jojo meets Mayor Ed Koch.

Edited by Lantern7

Finally caught the episode. Daymn. Seriously, why does the team take any vehicle at all these days? That question is secondary to "Is Silver Chariot that great an asset to not murder Polnareff in his sleep?" In third: "High Priestess sliced off Jojo's prosthetic hand and kabobbed him three times in the neck. How the fuck is he not dead?!?" I guess all Joestars have amazing recuperative powers, given how pumped Joseph looked to run away from High Priestess. Hey, that tactic served him so well a half-century ago.

Another question: why is Joseph leaving the missus out of the loop? I'm thinking that she forgot about the time Esidisi possessed her, and Joseph and Caesar had to double-team her. That would be out of trauma, as opposed to old age.

22 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Not a big coffee drinker then?

I was just upset that I saw that on Tumblr, and I couldn't see the context right away. I know, plenty of subs out there, but I'm used to the dubbed version.

We are officially halfway through "Stardust Crusaders." High Priestess does its best to kill the boys, but Jotaro had Star Platinum do some drastic dental work on its teeth. It's so bad that we don't even see Rose (real name: "Midler") because she got that fucked up. Optimism is high, the gang gets set to confront DIO, and the archvillain beheads a Speedwagon Foundation guy before he could reveal nine new pains in the ass awaiting our heroes. Oh, and Polnareff introduces the gang to hand signals, and he and Kakoyin slap five and do an elaborate arm bump routine.

I think we get new sets of credits next week, so this is the last of "Stand Proud" and "Walk Like An Egyptian."

Jotaro has a bright future in medicine. First he's a brain surgeon, then he's a dentist.

ETA: If I start geeking out over ancient Egyptian stuff in the upcoming episodes, it's because I've been fascinated by it since I was in high school. Sort of a hobby. So if I start ranting about how Necho II tried to build his own Suez Canal 2600 years ago, or about what a dipshit Akhenaton was, you'll know why.

Edited by Sandman87

New credits, new ally, same story. An enemy Stand user bedevils the crew, and every other "friendly" they meet might as well be wearing a red shirt. Actually, that's not really accurate . . . the extras in Star Trek probably never died in excruciating ways. One poor bastard gets drowned (in the middle of the friggin' desert), and another gets beheaded just for (barely) living.

As for the ally? His name is Iggy. Iggy is a Boston Terrier. A Boston Terrier that has a sand-shooting Stand known as The Fool. He is tempermental, and he loves to fuck people up. If you ever read the comic Chew, the first parallel you'd draw with Iggy is Poyo. Oh, and he seems to love abusing Polnareff, so I think we're going to adore the little guy. I mean, Polnareff would up letting the enemy's Stand claw Kakoyin's eyes, blinding him. The Stand doesn't have a name, but the user is named N'Doul (as per the episode title). It kinda sounded like "O'Doul," which would suggest an alcohol-based Stand.

ETA: If you haven't seen the episode yet, here are two bits from the Toonami Tumblr of Iggy in action.

ETA2: Here is "End of the World." I think I like "Stand Proud" better, but the guys singing it repeat Star Platinum's cry a lot at the end. An "Ora"-gasm, if you will.

Edited by Lantern7

Show of hands: When Iggy glomped onto Polnareff's face, did anyone else think that maybe he might do something even more gross than farting? I mean, Polnareff has had every other disgusting thing happen to him...

One of life's little mysteries solved. I wondered what show this screen shot came from, and I guess it's from the 1993 version of Jojo's.

rk7qj4.jpg

And don't they both look like maybe their hair has been chewed on?

ETA: A stand made of sand. A sand stand!

The team's still batting 0 when it comes to vehicles. New partner comes in on a helicopter? Destroyed. New dune buggy? Destroyed. Maybe they should invest in something cheaper, like mopeds or pogo sticks.

For the record, the new opening credits music sucks. It reminds me of the bad old days of '70s anime themes.

Edited by Sandman87
On 2/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, Sandman87 said:

Show of hands: When Iggy glomped onto Polnareff's face, did anyone else think that maybe he might do something even more gross than farting? I mean, Polnareff has had every other disgusting thing happen to him...

The teaser spoiled me. Of course, if you didn't see that, and you watched Polnareff putting his hand into a sticky fluid . . . well, then I wouldn't blame you. Can dog drool be that thick where it could take the consistency of that?

On 2/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, Sandman87 said:

For the record, the new opening credits music sucks. It reminds me of the bad old days of '70s anime themes.

I don't think "End of the World" is bad. It just pales to "Stand Proud." it does fulfill the basic requirements of "Phantom Blood," "Battle Tendency" and "Stardust Crusaders": it is way the fuck over the top, both in lyrics and visuals. Over on the Comparison thread, you can see a guy break down "Sono Chi no Sadame" and "BLOODY STREAM." Also, all four themes sound awesome played in this concert, which covers the first six themes. Then they went to "Diamond Is Unbreakable," where the themes took on more of a "pop" feel. That includes "chase," which is the more rocking theme, at least compared to "Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town" and "Great Days."

This week: Jotaro defeats N'Doul, with the help of a very reluctant Iggy. Avdol take a water blade in the neck for the team. And we get a post-credits look at the guy and his creepy little brother who will be plaguing Team Jojo next time.

Gotta love how Jotaro comes up with plans on the fly (no pun intended). Using Fool to escape detection, distracting N'Doul by performing a Fastball Special with Iggy, and getting absurdly close to his enemy. N'Doul checks out, but not before taunting Jotaro about the Egyptian God Stand users. Oh and he makes peace with Iggy, who retrieves his hat. Which has chewed-up coffee-flavored gum in it. Hey, it's progress. Also, going by the credits, I'm thinking Iggy and Polnareff will be pals by the end of the story . . ..  assuming they survive. Remember, dogs don't last long in JBA.