Type keyword(s) to search

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Really, really, REALLY hoping we get better treatment and representation of women in this series. I know this is a shonen anime, and it's all about the men kicking ass, but tonight was painful. At least seven schoolgirls were drooling over Jotaro. Then the first minion of Dio -- Noriaki Kakyoin -- attacks with his Stand, which squirms up the nurse's skirt, possessesing her, causing her to totally stab a dude in the eye. Then it rips the poor woman from the inside out. I thought she was dead, but Jotaro muttered something about her recovering, so I guess her parachute opened.

Jotaro's Stand doesn't have a name yet, but it winds up beating the everloving fuck out of Heirophant Green. Jotaro carries Kakyoin's ass back home to see Gramps, and the old bastard notices something on his head. Slug? Exposed brain part? Anyway, Kakyoin doesn't have long to live . . . at least going into the ending. Also, Dio vamps. Because Dio, that's why.

You'll notice I got the names down. That's because I'm trying to find the end credits. Maybe they can't air in the U.S. Why did I like "Roundabout"? Because after all the man-on-man posturing, I needed something soothing. I just found it . . . I don't think there were end credits played this week according to the Wikia. So I'm just going to leave "Stand Proud" in whole, since they'll be shortened by Toonami.

And here's a fanmade version with a "classic" song. I haven't found an AMV set to REM's "Stand," though.

Jotoro brings a boy home with him from school. And his name is Cocky, or something.

How does his collar stay up with that big chain hanging from it? Where does his cap end and his hair begin? Does he often offer to take off his pants?

Dio can't help but admire his new body, and admire it, and admire it...

I'm sure the nurse, left lying in a pool of her own blood, will be okay after she walks it off with the help of a band-aid or two.

As of this writing, we are two episodes into Toonami's airing of "Stardust Crusaders," so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread comparing and contrasting the various incarnations of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I wish to add that we are going by Toonami pace, so please be aware of posters that want to be surprised. Anything from "Diamond Is Unbreakable" to "Jojolion" (the eighth series; yes, really) should be hidden.

While we only have two episodes of Jotaro, I reckon he's interesting. In the beginning, we had Jonathan Joestar, who wanted to be a gentleman, and who probably would have led a good, steady life if not for Dio's intrusion. Even without Hamon, he wanted to help others. Then we skip a generation and meet Joseph. While I found him to be one of the good guys, he wasn't textbook "good." He was cocky as all hell. Look at the credits for "Battle Tendency," where he's got an impressive sneer working. Now we have Jotaro, and I'm still thinking that he only looks and acts like a delinquent because he doesn't want his "evil spirit" to hurt others. If it's a pose, it's a convincing one. Also, I'm thinking that "Stardust Crusaders" Joseph isn't fond of Japan because he probably fought for the Allies there. Von Stroheim wasn't his best friend, but why risk meeting his cybernetically-enchanced acquaintance on the battlefield? That would be awkward. "GERMAN SCIENCE IS DER GREAT- .. .  hey! Joseph! Small world, huh?!?"

Like I said, this is the place to compare any aspect of the series. I will say that "Stardust Crusaders" not having "Roundabout" in the end credits handicaps it a little bit. I couldn't make much sense of Yes, but it felt so soothing, along with the character portraits.

Episode - I don't know which was more terrifying; The school nurse with her pen, the fabulous kid who sicced his Green Elephant Stand on him (or whatever the name was), or the gaggle of vapid girls chasing after NewJo.

NewJo's stand slapping the hell out of the other stand was hilarious. I hope someone out in internet-land has made a GIF of that.

On Sunday, August 06, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Lantern7 said:

Back when I was doing audio production, we had a stack of sound effects records. One of the tracks was oddly specific: "Body Falling Down Stairs." It was about 30 seconds of thumping and banging.

1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

Episode - I don't know which was more terrifying; The school nurse with her pen, the fabulous kid who sicced his Green Elephant Stand on him (or whatever the name was), or the gaggle of vapid girls chasing after NewJo.

NewJo's stand slapping the hell out of the other stand was hilarious. I hope someone out in internet-land has made a GIF of that.

1. That's Heirophant Green. It's a tarot thing, at least for the first set of Stands we see.

2. Will this do?

Seeing Holly slumped over like that . . . my mind went to a bad, bad place. Luckily, neither Dio or one of his minions didn't drop by Casa Kujo to murder her. It's just her Stand manifesting, and it's killing her. Partially because of Dio, partially because she's a woman in a shonen manga. Yeah, we had Lisa Lisa kick a little ass, but we need guys to find and murder Dio. And did you see the choreography of the four guys' legs stepping out? That's insane chemistry right there!

I feel bad for Joseph/Oldjo. He took care of the Pillar Men a half-century ago. And what is his specialty nowadays? "Spirit Photography." That is sad. Worse, not only does Dio seem to have that same mojo, he doesn't break Polaroids to make it happen.

At least Jotaro could have a career as a surgeon if he lives. Star Platinum took care of the slug with little problem. Who needs surgeons?

Anybody else amused that the Speedwagon Foundation is still functioning in the mid-Eighties? Nice to have a group dedicated to the weird shit, but the man was a bit of a putz. I still liked him, though.

They're going to Egypt! (credits) "...walk like an Egyptian..." Haha, get it?

So the Green Elephant boy is joining Team NewJo. Because any reasonably competent early non-evil enemy who suffers a humiliating defeat at the hands of a shonen protagonist is required to become a comrade, that's why.

16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Seeing Holly slumped over like that...

Mine went to the same general place, but at this site instead.

16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Luckily, neither Dio or one of his minions didn't drop by Casa Kujo to murder her.

Neither one of them didn't?

9 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

They're going to Egypt! (credits) "...walk like an Egyptian..." Haha, get it?

So the Green Elephant boy is joining Team NewJo. Because any reasonably competent early non-evil enemy who suffers a humiliating defeat at the hands of a shonen protagonist is required to become a comrade, that's why.

Neither one of them didn't?

1. That puzzles me, because the opening credits make it look like Team Jojo would be traveling the world, not just Egypt. It's a chill song, but I don't know how relevant it is with this anime.  I just imagine Avdol thinking, "I have lived in Egypt for most of my life. I have never seen ANYBODY walk like that. Fuck the Bangles. And fuck Steve Martin while I'm at it."

2. In Kakyoin's defense, Jotaro did save his life and remove him from under Dio's well-manicured thumb. Granted, the nurse back in school was probably more qualified to operate that Jotaro, but Kakyoin used Heirophant Green on her, so it's his own damn fault, mind-controlled or not.

3. I'm assuming Dio has lots and lots of minions . . . as opposed to "Phantom Blood," where he mostly had the two ancient warriors and the Asian manservant. He probably has a crowd like the ones that cheered for the Pillar Men in the final arc last season.

Oooooooohhh . . . so instead of flying to Egypt and endangering more lives, Team Jojo will be taking the long route to Egypt. And that's why The Bangles are used in the end credits.

So . . . out heroes take on Tower Grey, a stag beetle-like Stand that rips the tongues out of airplane passengers too sleepy to notice a bunch of buff dudes going apeshit with invisible powers. Joseph winds up surviving his third plane crash, which might be a record for a "civilian." Also, Jotaro disses two comely stewardesses, both of whom need a quick trip to the lavatory to swap out unmentionables. And that's after he calls them "bitches." Seriously, if this anime got protested, I wouldn't be that surprised. At least they had the same reaction to Kakyoin, who wasn't a total dick.

While I'm at it . . . the Stand user was an old fuck who caused massacres. In a cute twist, he looks to be innocent, as seen in this GIF, where he "realizes" that he just put his hand in fresh blood.

Anyway, the boys land in Hong Kong, plan a route, have lunch, meet a stranger . . . and that bastard whips out Iron Chariot on them. To Be Continued, way-oh-way-oh.

Oh, and I think Dio is seducing women at minimum. And he's basically Jonathan from the neck down. Ick. So not gentlemanly. If Jojo I had a grave, he'd be rolling in it.

That Tower stand should have been a cat. "Cat got your tongue?"

Traveling from Hong Kong to Egypt by boat. Someone ought to tell OldJo and NewJo that there's things called cars and trains and buses that they could use to travel instead of flying. Or maybe those options just wouldn't be slow enough.

"Oh look, there's an obnoxious stranger who's all buffed out and vaguely effeminate. There's no way he might be an enemy, because no one with Duke Nukem hair could be bad! Lets invite him over to our table for lunch."

This show is so unrealistic. That flight was nowhere near fully booked!!

Geez, Jotoro, we get it. You don't like girls but you don't have to be such a jerk about it.

Are they pitching a show for the travel channel? They spent half the show talking about Hong Kong and its cuisine.

• Love 1

I think I'm out.  I miss JoJo 2.  He was such a fun characters and it's sad we see so little of it in his older self.  Plus Dio is not nearly as interesting as the Pillar Men.  I guess season 2 was the odd man out in this series.

I love that Joseph Joestar still whipped out a little Harmon Overdrive, and mentioned "it's not my first plane crash".   Hopefully at some point he'll explain how Harmon overlaps with a Stand.  

I agree that Jotaro is hard to listen to.  Joseph was obnoxious to begin with too, but I guess he was my kind of punk kid.

It's going to be tragic if Dio's witch narrator turns out to be Lisa Lisa, isn't it?

14 hours ago, lathspel said:

I love that Joseph Joestar still whipped out a little Harmon Overdrive, and mentioned "it's not my first plane crash".   Hopefully at some point he'll explain how Harmon overlaps with a Stand.  

I agree that Jotaro is hard to listen to.  Joseph was obnoxious to begin with too, but I guess he was my kind of punk kid.

It's going to be tragic if Dio's witch narrator turns out to be Lisa Lisa, isn't it?

True, Joseph was a snarky punk which is enjoyable as opposed to Jotaro's stoic punk.

Edited by Matt K

I got Lisa Lisa on Sunday. The artist likes drawing her, and she threw in the Red Stone of Aja. And thanks to going online, I know that it is not called "Red Stone of Asia" like I misheard. Live and learn, right?

Anybody out there have fave characters after four episodes of "Stardust Crusaders"? I also like the Stands so far, though it looks like Joseph's Purple Hermit doesn't manifest like the others.

This week: Avdol vs. Jean Pierre Polnareff, master of the Silver Chariot Stand. Lots of posturing, posing, collateral damage, and Polnareff getting saved from certain death twice. Since he's in both sets of credits, he's got a flesh bud in his hair. One visit from Dr. Jotaro later (and lots of being squicked from Oldjo), and the gang has a new ally. He has a vested interest: Dio might be employing the Stand user that murdered his sister. Apparently, the mystery person has two right hands, because why not? I don't know how that would even work, but this is not the anime for that.

Bad news: DBZK marathon next week. Understandable, and I can wait, but I saw this on the Toonami Tumblr, and I want to know the context.

One question about Jean-Pierre Polnareff: What musical thing does his name and/or his stand refer to? Also, a rapier is an inappropriate weapon to use along with a suit of armor.

Good old Jean-Pierre is totally hitting on those women at the end. Maybe they should change the closing credits tune to the Swinging Erudites' "Walk With an Erection."

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

He has a vested interest: Dio might be employing the Stand user that murdered his sister. Apparently, the mystery person has two right hands, because why not?

Apparently two rights can make a wrong. And that just ain't right.

Edited by Sandman87

I like the sub theme here: Polnareff says "As you wish", has extensive training as a swordsman, and is searching for a man with a right hand deformity.  Intentional Princess Bride reference?

...Inconceivable!

This week: Team Jojo can't travel by sea, either. After rescuing the Token Non-Caucasian Child (a girl this time!!!), Jotaro tackles with the treacherous captain of the ship, whose Stand is Dark Blue Moon, the token aquatic beast. Fight, fight, fight, the Captain channels Hulk Hogan by repeatedly calling Jotaro "brother," and the ship blows up real good. Luckily, Team Jojo and the girl get on a lifeboat to continue the journey, as well as return the girl to her father in Singapore. He's probably going to be a Stand user and under the thrall of Dio. Oh, and Star Platinum punches the shit out of a shark.

The good news: - NewJo got to second base this week. The bad news - It was with an obnoxious twelve year old girl.

I want to know how they get that ridiculously large anchor up onto the ridiculously spacious deck. It would weigh at least a ton, and I didn't see any cranes built into the bow for handling it. Furthermore, it's non-functional, because it doesn't have a stock or a swivel, so the pointy bits would never dig into the sea floor. It'd just lay flat.

Also kind of curious as to why they needed to use a three-masted ship the size of a galleon just to transport the four of them. Did they need the extra space for their egos?

The ship's captain is named Tennille. Get it? Although with his stand, it seems like Barnacle Bill the Sailor would be more appropriate. I doubt he was trying to say "Do that to Me One More Time" after NewJo got done with him.

"Your folly was trying to out-predict a fortune teller." Excuse me Avdol? You didn't say or do crap, so STFU.

Ship explodes in flames and Jojo hollers "Send out a distress call!" Yes, someone should wade into the fireball and try to get the melted radio to work.

The Yello song "Oh Yeah" makes pretty good action scene music.

10 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

The good news: - NewJo got to second base this week. The bad news - It was with an obnoxious twelve year old girl.

I want to know how they get that ridiculously large anchor up onto the ridiculously spacious deck. It would weigh at least a ton, and I didn't see any cranes built into the bow for handling it. Furthermore, it's non-functional, because it doesn't have a stock or a swivel, so the pointy bits would never dig into the sea floor. It'd just lay flat.

The ship's captain is named Tennille. Get it? Although with his stand, it seems like Barnacle Bill the Sailor would be more appropriate. I doubt he was trying to say "Do that to Me One More Time" after NewJo got done with him.

Ship explodes in flames and Jojo hollers "Send out a distress call!" Yes, someone should wade into the fireball and try to get the melted radio to work.

1. Dang, forgot about that. At least Jotaro wasn't trying to be a lech about that. Jojo would probably have sunk into the water in sheer embarrassment.

2, Dude, have you seen the people on this anime? "I need help lifting the anchor. Can you strapping men help?" Jotaro: "*sigh* Fine." Polnareff: "Oui oui!!" Jojo: "That reminds me that I have to hit the head first."

3. Agh, I missed that. And I thought the references were getting more obscure.

4. Reminds me of Picard in that Groundhog Day-themed ep of TNG. "ALL HANDS, ABANDON SHIP!!!! I REPEAT, ALL HANDS, ABAN-" (cue explosion of Enterprise) Would've been funny if Team Jojo ended up in the lifeboat with a dude that looked like Kelsey Grammar.

ETA: Here's Amari Cooper of the Raiders scoring a touchdown. Kinda reminded me of Jojo I having guys dangling off him at the start of the second episode.

It's nice that we've met Smokey 2.  I bet we're going to be stuck with her for a while.

In my head, the part of the Captain was played by Shore Leave from the Venture Brothers   

When the scales were swirling around in the whirlpool, I'm surprised Jean-Pierre didn't send his armored Stand in.  Although perhaps it would have sunk like a stone?

Okay. So.

Team Jojo, the girl (more like Poco III than Smokey II) and the rando sailors find a freighter. Bizarre shit happens. A guy gets killed by a crane. There's an orangutan in a cage, because why wouldn't there be a fucking orangutan adrift on a freighter in the South China Sea? The orangutan smokes a cigarette and checks out a pinup. More bizarre shit happens. The rest of the sailors are killed. The girl gets cornered by the orangutan in the shower. She was trying to get clean, and Psycho was never released in Singapore. And what is the big reveal?

*deep breath*

The freighter is a Stand . . . Strength, to be precise. It's controlled by the orangutan. Apparently, it's so damn powerful, non-Stand users can see it. And it gets to a point where everything is bizarre and funny, but you half-expect the world to rip apart from the sheer lunacy of it all. So. Fucked. Up.

Yadda yadda yadda, the gang lands in Singapore, but Dio and his henchwench have someone waiting for them. Looks like a ventriloquist dummy from the looks of it. After this episode, that will be a relief.

Oh, and they show an eyecatch. The orangutan's name is Forever. According to the Wikia, he's named for the album "Wu-Tang Forever." Sure. Why not?!?

ETA: I also found the girl's name. Did it come up at all tonight? Also, I'm still thinking women might have hated this anime, because we get the girl in the shower. And Forever was looking at her in that way. Fuck this, I'm going to bed soon.

Enya-baa? If that's Japanese, it means something like "Old Lady Enya." I always figured Enya was evil...

Talk about a damned dirty ape. Emphasis on the dirty, what with that copy of Playboy. At least the kid got out of the hold before he started peeling his banana, so to speak.

Good grief, there's a lot of "good grief"-ing in this episode. Did Charlie Brown write this?

I guess you could say that Jojo spanked the monkey.

I figured out the "the ship is the stand" thing pretty quickly. Fritz Leiber's "The Jewels in the Forest" pretty much spoiled that kind of plot twist for me long ago.

Edited by Sandman87

Seems really pervy to take a character who is supposed to be a 10-12 year old girl and drawing her all curvy in the shower like she was much older.

We find out that the old crone who has been cheering Dio on has two right hands so her son is almost certainly the guy who raped and killed Polnareff's sister.

4 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Seems really pervy to take a character who is supposed to be a 10-12 year old girl and drawing her all curvy in the shower like she was much older.

We find out that the old crone who has been cheering Dio on has two right hands so her son is almost certainly the guy who raped and killed Polnareff's sister.

Theory: Maybe Forever could affect reality in a limited way, as well as projecting it? The girl was so focused on getting washed, she didn't notice the spurt. And Forever was there, all, "Ya like?"

Whoa . . . I didn't read "rape." Wouldn't be surprised, but I was not thinking that.

Yeah, I found that bit over the top as well.  

Until then, I would have said her more memorable physical characteristic was having the same chunky robot shoulders as the guys.  

This show could use a few amazing female characters in general - even Lisa Lisa wasn't exactly a main plot character.

This episode was weird, but I always wonder if Joseph finds it strange at all.  In his youth he killed zombies during a midnight chariot race near Rome - 'nuff said. 

2 hours ago, lathspel said:

This episode was weird, but I always wonder if Joseph finds it strange at all.  In his youth he killed zombies during a midnight chariot race near Rome - 'nuff said. 

And then there was the Nazi cyborg. And the Aztec super-vampires. And the cross-dressing in Mexico...

• Love 1

This week: Polnareff vs. a murder puppet! It's bizarre, but it's a little saner than Forever the Lecherous Orangutan. Not by much, though. Jonathan uses Purple Hermit and a television set to find out that Kakyoin might betray the group. Then DIO spies on him and blasts him and Avdol back about 20 feet. I'm thinking Jojo took Speedwagon's lead, in the sense that he's loaded enough to cover the inevitable damage than goes on around him

Seriously, how do our heroes survive so much hurt and blood loss? Polnareff had a good chunk of his leg lopped off, but he isn't screaming when he calls for a first aid kit. Kakyoin uses his Stand to slice Jotaro's leg, and Jotaro has enough strength to slow his fall. I know, shonen anime, but damn.

I was ok with Jack the Ripper pushing his way out of a dead horse. I was ok with a Pillar Man eating half of a Nazi guard, but leaving him alive. I was even ok with Dio making a newly created vampire eat her own kid. But Psycho Devil Puppet slicing off the room service guy's face just squicked me the hell out.

If Polnareff thought that being harassed for littering and then arrested for two murders was a pain in the ass, just wait until he gets the bill for the mini-bar. Gonna be working until he's old and grey to pay that off.

This episode was kind of derogatory to India, between the child bride and the john pig.  

The Hanged Man is pretty much the best stand so far, I think.  He was visible in the street because all the raindrops are mirrors!

I’m going to be disappointed if we have to continue to Egypt without our Egyptian now.   Realistically, we usually lose one of JoJo’s squad by this point in the show.  I just think Kakioin would be more dispensable.  

Seriously, does anybody come off well on this show? I mean in the sense that the writer doesn't seem to mind making randos look like assholes . . . especially the bit where Hol Horse lies to the locals about Kakyoin and Polnareff having money. Of course, they surround the hapless duo, and they're too obsessed about the potential payday to notice that the pair is getting shredded by Hangman.

Good news: Polnareff overcomes his demons and straight-up murders Centerfold (his blood must have run cold), Hol Horse gets away when his "bride" tackles the Frenchman, and he rededicates himself to Team Jojo's quest. In other news, Avdol is still dead. All of this feels too early to be happening now for me. Also, Polnareff is an asshole for getting Avdol getting killed, even though Hol Horse and Centerfold double-teamed the Egyptian.

There's no such thing as a Toilet Pig, right? RIGHT?!?

I'll just make the obvious joke here: Hol Horse is a real horse's hole.

I know I'm a bad person, but I was hoping Polnareff would punch that idiot kid's lights out.

On 10/15/2017 at 0:26 PM, Lantern7 said:

There's no such thing as a Toilet Pig, right? RIGHT?!?

Haha! Wrong!

Jotaro: You know what we've been missing from the series?

Kakyoin: Really unsettling body horror that befits an anime?

Jotaro: Good grief, this show is so unpredictably predictable.

So . . . turns out Jojo didn't get a mind-controlling bud from DIO. No, it's Empress, a Stand that basically grows from his arm, performs acts of viciousness and outright murder, and basically ruins the old man's day. In the end, the codger manages to use Hermit Purple . . . first to restrain Empress, then to predict when he could find tar to sink the little bitch in for the final blow The Stand user? Hol Horse's cutie from the last story, who turns out to be an old woman that Polnareff kept hitting on. I'm hoping Jojo never lets him live that down.

Also, DIO's henchwench takes Centerfold's death personally, and she basically rants, raves, and assaults a cat.

Bad news: I think CN/as is running the last season of Samurai Jack next weekend.