Type keyword(s) to search

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Caught the premiere of DiU this morning, and I'll have to rewatch. I like the idea that Jotaro gets roped back into a new adventure because Oldjo had an affair and a bastard son. Also, I like to think that the now-adult Jotaro was forced into what he was wearing because he's going to spend a lot of time with high school kids.

Josuke? He looks mercurial. Kinda resembles a young Goku, only with a berserk button centered on his hair. Seriously, to piss off Goku way back in the day, Krillin had to die first. Here, you just rip on Josuke's hair, and he'll rip you. Naturally, he has a Stand. Naturally, it's bizarre . . . it can repair any damage Josuke can inflict. I reckon the highlight had to be a gun-wielding asshole finding the gun jammed inside his stomach. *sigh* I'm probably not explaining it right.

Oh, and Star Platinum can stop time like The World. I think Jotaro said he only did it for a second . . .  but it's been twelve years since Egypt, so I'm guessing the span can be longer.

Edited by Lantern7

Really not liking the look of the new season. Like they wanted to reproduce the flat colors in a cheap comic book.

"A giant! He's over 190 cm tall!" cracked me up. I'm a little over 190 cm tall...

Meet Josuke, a violent asshole who uses his stand against people who don't have stands. His mother is also a violent asshole. And his grandfather is a corrupt cop. Just a typical well-adjusted family.

20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and Star Platinum can stop time like The World. I think Jotaro said he only did it for a second . . .  but it's been twelve years since Egypt, so I'm guessing the span can be longer.

I took at as his being way out of practice in using that ability.

On 8/20/2018 at 2:14 AM, Sandman87 said:

Really not liking the look of the new season. Like they wanted to reproduce the flat colors in a cheap comic book.

I think that goes with the setting and feel. The theme in the opening credits (which debuts next week( isn't really as intense as the others.

Meet Josuke, a violent asshole who uses his stand against people who don't have stands. His mother is also a violent asshole. And his grandfather is a corrupt cop. Just a typical well-adjusted family.

I'm still thinking "meathead." He hasn't beat up the little guy, and I suspect he might need to get beat up a lot. His mother? Well, maybe she got Oldjo to impregnate her at knifepoint, and threatened to neuter him if he didn't tell everyone he had an affair. "It wasn't my idea, boy! I faced Strazio, Santana, the Pillar Men, goddamn DIO . . . . but every night for the past sixteen years, I've had to check under my bed for Tomoko Fucking Higashikata! OH MY GOD!!!!!!"

Edited by Lantern7

I’m liking that it’s a different art design style.  Was the background shading flickering during the convenience store scene though?

Josuke has a cool stand, seems like a lot of room for cool stuff to happen.

This season has a lot more swearing though.

I liked this new JoJo.  While I wasn't a fan of last season's JoJo, I think he works better here as the straight man to Josuke's very weird guy.  And Josuke's stand is pretty neat.  I like that it can heal things as well, it's not just for fighting.

I still say Josuke’s stand looks a lot like Thr World.  

Props to [as] for running these so close together by the way.  I know the bizarreness must end sometime, but it’s nice that it’s not yet. 

Catching up before the next episode . . .

"A giant! He's over 190 cm tall!" cracked me up. I'm a little over 190 cm tall...

Given that Koichi might as well be making cookies in trees, I thin his grasp for height is tenuous.

His mother is also a violent asshole. And his grandfather is a corrupt cop. Just a typical well-adjusted family.

Well, she did get propositioned in a lewd and crude manner. Not her fault he couldn't take getting shoved into a car window. And I didn't see the guy being corrupt. His daughter was called a crazy bitch, so he looked the other way.

On 8/23/2018 at 12:34 AM, lathspel said:

Props to [as] for running these so close together by the way.  I know the bizarreness must end sometime, but it’s nice that it’s not yet. 

Well, we have 39 episodes, so you figure we'll have close to a year when you factor in marathons. By then, I'm thinking "Golden Wind" would be halfway through, so we'd have to wait a while. Unless there's a "simulcast" situation. Right now, we just enjoy Morioh, all its bizarre residents, and earworm theme songs.

Josuke: I . . .  I only turned my back for a few seconds! Now my grandfather is dead! And my Stand can't bring him back!!

Jotaro: Josuke . . . there are things that we are never able to do. Your Stand is remarkable, but it can't bring back the dead. I'm sorry.

Josuke: GRANDPA!!!!! (sobbing)

Jotaro: (thinking) Wow, second episode, and his grandfather got murdered. (tight zoom to his eyes) Why couldn't I be that lucky?

This week: Angelo the mad dog murderer/rapist kills Josuke's grandpa, then guns for the kid and his nephew. Death by extreme condensation . .  .give Araki points for creativity. In the end, Josuke defeats Aqua Necklace . . . by letting it slide down his throat. No, his Stand (has it been named yet) can't save Josuke or heal him . . . but it does reassemble the rubber glove he swallowed, and that snatches the rogue Stand. And then Josuke traps Angelo in a rock for all time. Only thing missing is a desiccated corpse popping up, making awful puns, and cackling maniacally.

New setting, but it's still the Jojo we all know and love . . . lots of cursing, insane visuals, and a dog gets murdered for no real reason beyond shock value. On the other hand, we go from dramatic credits to . . . well . . . this.

What amuses me is that Jotaro does not dance or dramatically pose. He's dressed like a humongous dumbass, but that's just camouflage.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Angelo the mad dog murderer/rapist kills Josuke's grandpa

Grammar makes all the difference.

Forgive me if I don't cry over the death of Officer "My Daughter Can Break the Law if She Wants To and I'll Arrest You if You Complain About It."

"Here, I'll just turn my back on this flask of sentient magical Stand water, which is sitting on the table where my dipsomaniac grandfather can find it. What could possibly go wrong?"

We get to see the opening number and...DISCO IS NOT DEAD!!

Are we to understand that after being embedded into (fused with?) the rock that Angelo won't die? If that wasn't hyperbole on neoJoJo's part, dang, that's an impressive stand.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:54 AM, Sandman87 said:

Forgive me if I don't cry over the death of Officer "My Daughter Can Break the Law if She Wants To and I'll Arrest You if You Complain About It."

"Here, I'll just turn my back on this flask of sentient magical Stand water, which is sitting on the table where my dipsomaniac grandfather can find it. What could possibly go wrong?"

I still feel bad. And how could Josuke know Aqua Necklace could transform to resemble cognac? With its own label, I might add?!?

On 8/26/2018 at 3:06 PM, Terrafamilia said:

We get to see the opening number and...DISCO IS NOT DEAD!!

Are we to understand that after being embedded into (fused with?) the rock that Angelo won't die? If that wasn't hyperbole on neoJoJo's part, dang, that's an impressive stand.

Given that the year is supposed to be 1999, it's more "boy band" to me. Here's a live performance from The Du, taken from a concert of Jojo themes. Also, if you look at the end credits (set to Savage Garden)m you'll notice Angelo is still in the damn rock.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, Sandman87 said:

And they got Jotaro's Hair Hat to work too! He looks a little young though.

I think the gag from the anime/manga was that Jotaro looked as young as he did in "Stardust Crusaders" -- if not younger -- because of the art style. That would translate to the movie.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:14 PM, Lantern7 said:

I've been poking around on a Jojo Wikia. Toth's illustration of Hol Horse's bullets looking human reminded me of Sex Pistols, a Stand used in Vento Aureo (the fifth volume of the series).

Funny . . . here's a brief clip of Guido Mista in the upcoming Golden Wind anime, using his Stand: Sex Pistols. Or whatever it'll be called in the U.S.

Remember, Toonami is doing a My Hero Academia marathon tomorrow. I hope nobody here goes through Jojo withdrawal.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Remember, Toonami is doing a My Hero Academia marathon tomorrow. I hope nobody here goes through Jojo withdrawal.

Not to worry. I have a bunch of episodes of Off the Air on the DVR. It may not be Jojo, but it's definitely bizarre.

Opening credits . . . very first and last seconds? With no lyrics? That's cold, Toonami.

Okay, apparently Josuke and his hulking nephew had a few more words with Angelo. He manages to blurt out that some jerk can bestow Stands to others, and someone as evil as him could get great power. Then he steps on Josuke's Berserk Button, and Josuke reforms Angelo Rock into something more goofy-looking. Angelo is still trapped in a neverending death, so that's still good.

Yadda yadda yadda, Jotaro does research and realizes that Enyaba may have given DIO the power of The World . . . which makes her dying like a punk bitch to Steely Dan of Steel all the more sadder. Also, he meets Tomako, and she mistakes him for Joseph. After the misunderstanding is cleared up, she looks like she wants to climb the Joestar family tree again.

Meanwhile, Josuke and Koichi run afoul of [checking Jojo Wikia] Okuyasu Nijimura. In another world, they'd probably be best buddies from the start based on their goofy-ass uniforms. "Golden hearts? Nah, son . . . dollar and yen signs are the way, baby!" His Stand is The Hand (generic enough not to mess with legal matters), which can eliminate space, forcing it to fill the void. In the end, Josuke outsmarts Okuyasu, and he meets the other guy. With the bow and arrow. Who had shot Koichi in the neck. Oh, and Okyyasu slammed a gate on his neck for several minutes. Basically, not the little guy's week.

Tomako takes a moment to motorboat Josuke's six-pack. Yeah, nothing creepy about her doing that to someone who happens to be her ex-boyfriend's grandson and her son's nephew.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Basically, not the little guy's week.

Specifically, it's not a good week for his neck.

The guy with "BILLION" on his arm gets caught in the crossfire. Josuke daves his life, but he's a Billion Dollar Baby about it until he can return the favor. His big bro', Keicho, has Mattel's Heroes in Action action figures as a stand, but with functioning weapons. They're a real Bad Worse Company. Koichi gets a stand of his very own, but it literally and figuratively lays an egg.

This week: Josuke vs. Keicho "Sgt. Bro" Nijimura. His stand: Bad Worse Company, which is basically those toy solders you had as a kid (or seen in the Toy Story movies if you never had those growing up), only they can inflict damage equivalent to their real-life counterparts. Somehow, not only does Koichi survived getting his neck slammed and pierced and being dragged through an abandoned house that I'm just going to assume is filled with germs and worse, he also gains a Stand. Which is a giant egg. Lets debate on what will hatch from there. Your choices: Pu (Yu Yu Hakusho) or Togepi (Pokemon). In the end, Josuke proves he isn't just a life support system for that awesome hair, as he uses Crazy Shining Diamond to turn tables and take out Keicho.

9 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

The guy with "BILLION" on his arm gets caught in the crossfire.

Did you see that Keicho had "TRILLION" on his sleeve? Also, he might have the symmetry fetish/OCD once held by Death the Kid from Soul Eater.

ETA: The hair says "Polnareff," but given his Stand, I'd say Keicho was going for "stylish Japanese Guile."

Edited by Lantern7

Josuke: Okay, so I've subdued Sgt. Bro and ignored that Koichi pissed himself. Time to destroy the bow and arrow!

Koichi: I know I'm basically playing Shaggy, but there's something spooky behind the door!

Josuke: This is what? The fifth episode? I'll just rush in and get the bow and arrow, as Crazy Shining Diamond holds off whatever's behind that do-

[three minutes later]

Josuke: Okay. This is some sort of warty toad monster. I was not prepared for this.

Keicho: (stumbling in) Didn't you know the word "BIZARRE" is in the series' title?!?

Josuke: *sigh* I'm learning. What's the deal with Handsome over here?

Keicho: He's my dad.

Koichi: In the spirit of time and One-Punch Man, could you keep the explanation to twenty words or less?

Keicho: DIO . . .

Josuke: Whoa! That guy's dead, and he's still causing shit!

[moving along]

Keicho: He . . . he was trying to piece together the picture of our family. I . . . .I never realized . . .

Okuyasu: (bawling opening)

Josuke: Okay . . . . I'll use my Stand to fix this, you two can stop being assholes, and we can destroy the bow and arrow!!

Koichi: (looking up) Yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen.

[Red Hot Chili Pepper grabs Okuyasu and the bow, dragging them through an electrical outlet]

Josuke: New plan! We find the new asshole and rescue your bro!

Okuyasa: Nope, he's dead. On the electrical wires. That's . . . shit, he didn't deserve that.

Josuke: And his Stand was kickass. Little army men can could kill you? So awesome!

[Hotel Morioh]

Jotaro: One night. I was supposed to come to this town, tell the doof with the weird hair his absent dad is rich as fuck, then leave. Now I gotta clean up a messy situation. Again. Yare yara- (answering phone) Unless this is a sexy woman dialing a wrong number . . .

?????: Like you're interested in girls! Or anything in particular!

Jotaro: The killer! Tell me your identity!!!

?????: I'm not gonna give it away, give it away, give it away, give it away now! Basically, I'm a student at the local high school, and I could be anybody. And the body count's gonna keep rising, as I Californicate everyone to death!

[silence]

?????: Too much?

Jotaro: A little. (click) *sigh* (to Star Platinum) I'm getting too old for this shit.

Star Platinum: (nodding) Ora.

Edited by Lantern7

This week: we steer away from the main drama, going with milquetoast Koichi instead. He falls prey to con artist asshole Tamami Kobayashi, who has a Stand (The Lock) that manifests itself as a giant padlock that clings to people through guilt. After Josuke and Okuyasu thwart Tamami's "money for running over and killing my bagged cat" scheme (don't worry, the "cat" was a doll), the short-stacked bastard with the flattop goes double or nothing, gunning for Koichi's family for more money. And that's enough to hatch his Stand's egg . . . leaving us a weird creature that can manifest onomatopoeia in kanji. It's a lot more interesting than I can write it. Anyway, the nameless Stand messes up Tamimi, and persuades Koichi's mother not to kill herself over what she thought was her thieving son. Seriously, the padlock was weighing her down, she grabbed a knife, and she was going to end it all. Only this show, you know?

Watched the latest episode. Still no sign of the Main Bad Guy, but we get a self-important loser with a puppet Stand indistinguisable from Josuke . . . except for the weird dot on his head. Mot sure why it's "Show Off" in the US and not "Surface." The former sounds cooler, though. Also funny: Josuke wins because he pointed Toshikazu out to the bikers whose chopper he smudged and fake-Josuke beat up. And Koicihi gets points for taking an elbow from Josuke and faking train noises.

I like that Josuke is quite clever and creative with his Stand.  Here’s hoping we get back to more hair inspired rage soon. 

The end titles on this show are great - all watchable, all except maybe Long Train Home were really enjoyable. 

This week: Koichi gets unexpected attention from a girl named Yukako Yamagishi. You know what else starts with the letter "Y" in English? "Yandere." Anyway, our milquetoast half-pint has to deal with a statuesque beauty who REALLY wants him, and will do anything to have him. And, since this is an anime, she has her own Stand, which can control  and embed hair. Kinda like Medusa of the Inhumans, but a little more versatile on paper.

Not much else happens, though we get Hazamada telling Jotaro and Josuke that Stand users are usually drawn to each other. Also, Josuke and Okuyasu try to draw Yukako's attention away from Koichi, and Okuyasu saves a girl whose hair was burning using The Hand. Unfortunately, since The Hand sends stuff away, Josuke can't repair any damage with Shining Diamond. Cut to me: "What do you mean her hair's messed up? It's mussed, but I don't see HOLY SHIT SHE'S GOT A BALD SPOT IN THE BACK OF HER HEAD!!!" Damn! I hope high schools are good with students wearing hats full-time."

Oh, and we get an EDM remix of "Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town"! Thankfully, Toonami lets it run in full, including Koichi posing with his Stand.

Anybody out there got opinions on the "Diamond Is Unbreakable" gang? Right now, it's dope Josuke, dopier Okayasu, twerp Koichi, and straight man Jotaro.

I went to New York Comic Con two weeks ago. Got two "Stardust Crusaders"-based sketches: DIO and Enya/Justice.

DIO_1.thumb.jpg.0302312a3d1db2256dc7a8a12d682002.jpg

Enya-Justice.JPG

Edited by Lantern7

This week: Koichi becomes a man! Okay, he starts off by pissing himself trying to unlock a bathroom door, but he uses hits wits, guile, and a second "act" version of Seconds Reverb (how is "Seconds" not ambiguous enough for use here?) to ultimately defeat Yukako . . . who still is hot for Koichi. But she's going to try and watch him from afar.

Seriously, Koichi gets credit for the win here, right? I know he's a whiner, and a lot of his moves were driven by panic, but he didn't need Josuke and Okuyasu's help or respective Stands. The bit of using Reverb to write phone-dialing sound effects on Yukako's arm was pretty inspired.

"Wait, how does Koichi not know Columbus discovered the Americas in 1492? Oh, right, he's from Japan, and that's not drilled into kids' heads over there the way it is over in the U.S." #Clarity

Yukako goes from psycho girlfriend to somewhat less psycho stalker. Yay? She's still dangerously unhinged, but is keeping her distance from him. No telling what she'll do to other people now, especially since her monologue about the eye twitch shows that she's been a few bats short of a belfry for her entire life.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

"Wait, how does Koichi not know Columbus discovered the Americas in 1492? Oh, right, he's from Japan, and that's not drilled into kids' heads over there the way it is over in the U.S."

To be fair, it was part of the classwork that she was tutoring/torturing him on.

This week: Josuke and Okuyashu can't even get a meal at a fancy Italian restaurant without encountering a Stand user. This time, it's chef Tonio Trussardi Trendy. Basically, Okuyashu eats and fluctuates between agonizing pain and remarkable wellness, with overreactions to food on par with stuff I've seen in clips of Shokugeki no Soma (known in the U.S. as Food Wars!), where foodgasms seem to be a recurring trope. Seriously, one clip had people eating meat so perfectly prepared and delicious, they went into a mental wonderland where their clothes exploded off their bodies. Anime, right?

It turns out Tonio is basically neutral . . . he just wants to make his customers happy, even as Josuke sees the nightmare fuel of a dog more or less explode from eating Tonio's food. Don't worry, he was okay . . . though with this series' thing against dogs, we might want to start a dead pool on when Koichi's old pooch bites it, as opposed to merely "if."

Oh, and Oldjo is coming to Morioh! OH MY GOD SON OF A BITCH!!!!!

As for the Stand . . . it looks like several vegetables with faces that float around. It's name?

Spoiler

Pearl Jam. But here in the U.S., it's "Pole Jam" . . . is that any better? Would that make you think about Eddie Vedder any less?

Edited by Lantern7

It's an episode of The Best Thing I Ever Ate with amazingly delicious and exquisitely painful Italian health food. I first thought the chef would have trouble building a clientele with the physical agony that accompanies the meal but then I remembered that there are plenty of people who go around to places trying to burn off their taste buds with weaponized chili peppers so, yeah, it could happen.

This week: Red Hot Chili Pepper makes its move, threatening Josuke in his own house to start. The Big Four (Josuke, Koichi, Okuyashu, Jotaro) meet in the middle of nowhere to talk tactics without Chili Pepper finding them, but it stows away in Okuyashu's motorcycle battery. The big dummy has a figurative diarrhea attack, losing his shit in trying to avenge his brother's murder. Bottom line: The Hand gets in some nice hits, but Okuyashu inadvertently cuts an underground power line, giving Chili Pepper the means to escape and intercept Oldjo at the port . . . but not before maiming Okuyashu (via disarming The Hand) and dragging him through the power line. But since this is a shonen anime that gives less of a fuck than most of its peers, Josuke drags Okuyashu back by using Shining Diamond to reattach the arm. Seriously . . . he had the arm, Crazy Diamond did its "rewind" thing, and Okuyasu was brought back to physical form. Major butt-pull, but I think it's allowable for this anime

Also, Jotaro tells us about how feeble Oldjo is. Not much reaction from Josuke in the prospect of meeting his father. The sad thing? As old and doddering as Oldjo is, I bet Tamako would still want to "tap that."

Edited by Lantern7

Josuke needs to take Oldjo to that restaurant ASAP. Fix everything that's wrong with him.

We got a reminder at the end that there's still someone out there collecting severed hands. It immediately made me start singing a Tom Lehrer song:

I hold your hand in mine dear, I press it to my lips

I take a healthy bite from your dainty fingertips...

I'm hoping Part 5 is good because so far I've only really liked the even numbers (Parts 2 and 4).  I really hope they do Part 6 when we get Jolyne.  Also it would be a nice cap for the series as Part 6 is also the last of the mainline continuity.  

Josuke and OldJo find an invisible baby. I bet the kid's name is Eno, because she tried to reenact the second line of "Baby's on Fire", requiring a typical Joestar rescue.

I wonder if the bank that issued Josuke's "777" ATM card is the same one that makes the "666" ATM cards from C: Control.

“Baby with a Stand? Hey, why the fuck not?!?” At least this one is cuter than Mannish Boy and his creepy Renaissance-looking jester of death by dream. Lally-ho!!

Gotta feel for Josuke. I think he was born in 1983, so Joseph still had his marbles and nerve when he met his mother. And plowed her. You think he shouted “OH MY GOD!!!” at the key moment?

Oh, and this was the last of CNBT we’ll get in the credits. Something new pops up in a few weeks.

• Love 1