Type keyword(s) to search

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week: Iggy loses a paw, but he stands tall and proud, killing DIO's pet falcon, Pet Shop. Afterward, he unites with the Crusaders, who are now joined by Kakioyin, fresh off the inactive list. Iggy leads the team to Mansion DIO, and we get another montage of highlights set to "Stand Proud," as we get closely to the end of "Stardust Crusaders." Sadly, it might be a while before "Diamond Is Unbreakable" gets dubbed. Toonami sticking a subtitled version at 3:30 would be nice, but I'm not expecting that. Shit, Japanese audiences are still waiting on anime adaptations of "Vento Aureo," "Stone Ocean," "Steel Ball Run" and "Jojolion." That's Joe-Joe-Lee-On, not Joe-Joe-Lie-On.

Edited by Lantern7

Tsk. No one picked up on the puns in my last post.

D'Arby's little brother turns out to be the butler at Dio's swanky Egyptian mansion. Naturally he wants to take a shot at our heroes. He challenges Kakyoin to a stand-assisted racing video game. Because there's nothing more exciting for viewers than watching someone else play a video game. And if he wins, he gets Kakyoin's soul to stuff into one of his soul-powered puppets. Which he collects because...uh, because...well, I dunno why the hell he'd collect those creepy things. The important thing is that they seem to be at least somewhat animated, and I expect him to use them to attack the heroes eventually.

At least the Crusaders made it to the mansion. BTW, did they have time to fit Iggy with a new leg? Maybe a small block of wood for balance?

I would not want to meet the D'arby family. Older son gambles and snatches souls, turning them into coins; younger brother gambles and snatches souls, transferring them into unbelievably creepy dolls. And Kakioyin made it off the disabled list just in time to be the token sacrifice. I am amused by the Stands' ability to boost the gameplay. Who needs an NES Advantage controller with the turbo function?

(edited)

Is there a place with deep dives for references? Because I saw the Red Dragons' pitching roster, and I think they're supposed to be the 1986 Boston Red Sox. I noticed "Sambito," and "Oil Crown" HAS to be Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd. I can't tell if the Jaguars are based off any team. "Tigers" is my first guess, though Jotaro's pitcher wears 41, and Tom Seaver is the only guy I really associated with that number . . . though the last time he played for New York was 1983.

Anyway . . . D'arby the Younger foils Kakioyin in car racing, and Kakioyin loses his soul. Jotaro steps up to the plate to play that timeless video classic, Oh! That's a Baseball! Usual battle of wits, as Jotaro fumbles through the controls before hitting four consecutive homers in the first inning. D'arby hurts my soul by telling Jotaro the game ends if one team leads by eleven points. POINTS?!?? Oh, and Oldjo insists on doing loud commentary a few feet from Jotaro's ears. That can't be good. That might have caused Kakioyin to lose his race.

The story takes place in 1987. What the heck video game system is D'arby using? I can suspend disbelief . . . but changing the looks of your players to match the Stands? The only thing I can think where that happens is with a Game Genie, and I don't think those were around. Or maybe Japan has always been several years ahead of the curve.

I found this. "Bruce Nipper" is an amalgation of Bruce Hurst (who won Games 1 & 5 against the Mets in the World Series) and Al Nipper. "Jeff Woodward" must be Rob Woodward, whom I do not remember. "Wes Wapper" sounds dirty, period.

CD9LToPUgAA3Kzx.jpg

Edited by Lantern7

I confess I fast forwarded through a good chuck of the video games because it's really not exciting, notwithstanding having Old Man Jojo try to supply the drama by narrating IN A LOUD VOICE and over-emoting to 11. Only seven episodes left and AS hasn't indicated what will replace this. Apart from April Fools I can't see them running the next arc in a subbed form.

(edited)

@Vermicious Knid . .. I get that. I will confess that seeing Star Platinum in a baseball uniform is somewhat amusing.

I have no idea if/when Diamond Is Unbreakable will be dubbed. The only really big news on the anime front is that Vento Auero (or will it be Golden Wind?) will be adapted and aired in Japan (and presumably online in the U.S.) starting later this year. I'm contemplating setting up a manga thread, though you can only get an "official" edition from Viz of the first three volumes. I understand there are . . . unofficial ways to read later stuff, but I wouldn't know where to go. And there might be a need to chat about the various volumes in this forum. I don't know.

Edited by Lantern7

Consoles, bah! Real stand users play video games on a PC.

Too bad Polnareff and Avdol didn't come through too. One of them could have held Oldjo down while the other one stuffed one of those creepy dolls into his mouth to shut him up.

Now we know why Jotaro's hair merges with his hat. When he took it off, it still had hair! It's a wig-hat!

Tom's intro the the show: "Dio's going down." No comment.

Cool Ice has a stand that's basically Gluttony. And now he's a Dio-vampire. His stand reminded me of a poem in one of the Monty Python books about a kid who ate himself until nothing was left but his stomach..."And that's what haggis is."

(edited)

Well, the Younger D'arby story is over. It looks like Jotaro basically poker-faced his way to victory again, giving out false vibes to screw with D'arby's stand . . . but, nope, it was actually Oldjo screwing with the console, controlling the game instead of his grandson. Funny . . . he insisted on checking the console for tampering, but D'arby never checked for purple vines while he was playing. Does Jotaro beat the shit outta his opponent? To quote Oldjo: "Yes, yes, yes, oh my God." Epcar is great with that line, which was said in English in the original.

Meanwhile, the other Crusaders elect to storm the castle mansion. After one-shotting a Stand user (Narrator: "NAME: BILLIE JEAN! OCCUPATION: NOT MY LOVER!! ADDITIONAL: THE KID IS NOT MY SON!!!!"), they run into Vanilla Cool Ice, whose Stand has devoured him and most of itself. I like to imagine DIO watching him, all, "Shit, I'm all about evil, but this guy is too damn weird." Avdol winds up sacrificing himself to save Polnareff and Iggy . . . though that might be an illusion. Maybe we're playing with Gotham-style rules: everybody is allowed to die and come back, but only once. Credit to @Sandman87 for not making a "He's harmless cuz he's armless!!" joke.

32 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

Now we know why Jotaro's hair merges with his hat. When he took it off, it still had hair! It's a wig-hat!

From what I heard, Jotaro's hair looked like his hair and hat were one. Now I'm thinking that the hat is frayed with no back, but it sticks to the head properly. Does anybody know what the little charm on his hat signifies? The hand thing, I mean.

ETA: The one-shot user's "real" name: Kenny G. Well, he does blow. He got killed by Iggy, so that would fit.

Edited by Lantern7

Let the voice of Jojo . . . lift you hiiiiiiiiiiggher . . .

Honestly did not know there would be an English dub. I half-expect that Toonami would give us the official subtitled version, and they'd follow that with "Vento Auerro" when that gets broadcast in Japan, which will be soon.

(edited)

Holy shit, Araki really has issues with dogs. Like he came home from school to find his mother and a a Great Dane in an amorous embrace, and he never worked it out. Poor Iggy. Ice just kicked the shit out of him. I did get a laugh at Polnareff’s multiple choice options. Bringing in the narrator is always a good idea.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Come on, Polnareff. You said you'd attack this guy from behind but you forgot about it when he was wailing on Iggy. Off course, since the guy is now a vampire it'll take a little more than being turned into a pincushion to put him down, but still.

14 hours ago, lathspel said:

Did anyone else think Cool Ice looked kinda like a Pillar Man?  I know everybody is chiseled on this show, but he really had that whole thing down.  

I’m wondering why the bad guys in the mansion are wearing hearts.

(edited)

In brief:

Polnareff: Iggy saved me at the last second. Why is it that everybody saves me, even though I'm probably the one that deserves to die the most? I mean, I avenged my sister. Sacre Bleu, that should be the end of my arc!!

Vanilla Cool Ice: To review . . . I murdered your friend and the mangy mutt that took the image of my Lord and Master. Also, I removed a part of your foot, two fingers, and a good chunk of your leg. There is no way I can lose!!!

[five minutes later]

Cool Ice: Oh, shit. DIO made me a vampire. The process didn't take right away. And because I was stupid not to jump back into Cream, my body parts disintegrate in the sunlight.

Polnareff: (gasping) Ha ha! Mon dieu, a character even dumber than moi!!! [Silver Chariot nudges Cool Ice into the light, killing him]

Spirit of Avdol: I go off to my reward with Iggy! Kick some ass for us!!!

Polnareff: Wait . . . Egyptians ascend to Heaven? You know what?? Fuck it, I'm blaming this on the blood loss. [collapses]

[Back in Japan]

Suzi Q: Yes, I know Holy is in a bad way. But I have faith in my husband and in Jotaro. They will save my Holy!

[long pause]

Roses: Begging your pardon, Madam, but what shall we do should the worst happen, and Holy turns into a vampire in the service of DIO?

Suzi Q: Well, tht's what this bag full of wooden stakes are for.

Roses: Ah. Resourceful!

Suzi Q: If you didn't drop that thug, I would have turned his ass into Swiss Cheese!

Roses: Ah. Quite.

[Egypt]

Nukesaku: Where the three experienced Stand users failed, I, a vampire, shall succe-

Jotaro: No [Star Platinum punches Nukesaku through four pillars]

Nukesaku: How did you know about my helpless lady disguise?!?

Jotaro: At this point, we're going to murder anything that stands between us and DIO. Unless that person squeals like a pig about where DIO is holed up.

[Credits]

Polnareff: With these curtains, I've managed to bandage my many, many, many injuries. Fortunately, I'm a shonen hero, so I'm still ready to fight!

DIO: Oh really?!?

Polnareff: What's French for "Oh, fuck me"?

Edited by Lantern7
14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Jotaro: No [Star Platinum punches Nukesaku through four pillars]

Guess that makes Nukesaku the new Pillar Man.

Nukesaku's face-on-the-back-of-the-head trick seems like it might be something out of Japanese folklore. ..(does a Google search)...Kind of like this.

(edited)

This week: DIO shows off The World, his Stand whose powers defy explaination. Actually, I'm spoiled on that, but I'll keep mum. Basically, because he is the Biggest Bad, The World is also too powerful. Also, it goes "MUDA!" like Star Platinum goes "ORA!" "MUDA!" equals "USELESS!" Nice callback to "Phantom Blood."

In brief: Polnareff gets messed up, the Crusaders fall back to figure things out, and DIO "convinces" U.S. Senator Wilson Phillips to be his chauffeur for the night. "You won't see me cry! I'm jumping outta the cab!!!" One second later: "Hey, hold on! How'd I get back here?!? And why am I wearing an old-timey hat?!? That went out of fashion long before 1987!!!"

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

Polnareff: "You finally come out, Dio!"

Dio: "Yes, I decided that I've been in the closet too long. Allow me to make vague and menacing small-talk while I sit in this throne that has magically appeared at the top of the stairs. Why don't you come up here?

Polnareff: "All right, I'll...hey, this ain't right! Every time I walk up there I end up back down here. Mon Dieu! Your stand is a 'down' escalator!"

Jotaro: (Busts through wall) "Oh yeaaaaahhhh!...No, wait, I'm not wearing my Cool-Aid costume"

Polnareff: "Hold on! You need to know about Dio's escalator of evil. It made me pee my pants a little. Also, Iggy and Avdol are dead."

Kakioyin: "No need to worry. We've got Team Dio's buttmonkey in a bag here to keep us informed. Hey, what's up ahead?"

Loser Boy: "Well, the stairs go up, and then there's a room."

Kakioyin: "Thanks. Very informative."

Jojo: "Hey Loser, open that coffin!"

Loser Boy: "Wait, I need to kiss Dio's butt for a few minutes before I...hey, how come I'm in the coffin with a broken jaw now?

Jojo: "Oh my god! It feels like there's an icicle up my ass!"

Jotaro: "Should I even ask?"

Jojo: "Well, I was visiting Alaska this one time and...never mind."

Kakioyin: "Let's discuss this in detail for several minutes while we fall 30 feet."

Jojo: "We need to worry about staying alive until sunrise, when Dio turns into a pumpkin."

Polnareff: "I'll hang around here with Jotaro so we can hit Dio from two sides at once."

Jojo: "Good idea. We'll run away while he murders some innocent bystanders. Uh, I mean, we'll draw his attention."

Dio: "I think I'll steal this nice car from this fool who wears pink polka-dot bow ties with charcoal grey suits. Hello, I'm from the Egyptian Dental Association, and this front tooth has to go."

Senator Fashion Victim: "Hold on I need to check my insurance to see if it covers extractions. Hey, my door is acting all space-warpy! Maybe I should just drive."

Jotaro: "Hey Polnareff, have I ever shown you my Fonz impression? I'll use this motorcycle since there's no jukeboxes around."

-------------------

So is Loser Boy dead? His injuries didn't look life-threatening for someone who's a vampire.

It occurs to me that the producers should have licensed one of the many songs entitled "Stand" or "Stand and Deliver" for one of the closing themes.

Edited by Sandman87

There are only three more episodes left. That would suck, but we're getting "Diamond Is Unbreakable" soon. Can't wait for the commercials hyping it. Voiceover: "'Stardust Crusaders' is almost over . . . " Oldjo: "OH, NOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

4 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Jotaro: "Hey Polnareff, have I ever shown you my Fonz impression? I'll use this motorcycle since there's no jukeboxes around."

Crossed my mind as well. One, Jotaro would be that awesome. Second, I can imagine him going "Aayyyyyyyyy" afterward, only with the growly monotone he has.

(edited)

Going into tonight's episode . . . Lil Kakioyin & Hierophant Green.

Looking back at last week's episode . . . I should see if somebody recorded the bit where the Crusaders burst through a wall, and proceeded to add the Pillar Men's theme music to that. Also, all three pointed at DIO at the same time. Some days, you just gotta love anime.

ETA: Good news: The power of DIO's Stand is revealed. Bad news: his reveal is not as awesome as in the original version. "ZA WARUDO!!!!" is much catchier than "THE WORLD!!!!!" Also Kakioyin gets killed, but he manages to figure out that The World can freeze time, and he gets the news to Oldjo.

The World is way too powerful. Not only can it stop time for DIO for about five seconds (which is a lot longer, given we're dealing with an anime), but it's got enough strength to literally punch a hole into Kakioyin's body. Poor guy didn't know what hit him. After that, Oldjo engages in cat-and-mouse with DIO, only to get a knife in the neck for his efforts. Jotaro breaks out Star Platinum, and the ORA!/MUDA! battle takes us to the credits.

Once again this is a rough anime if you love animals. DIO freezes time and murders a cat for the hell of it. Chunks of it land in the plates and glass of nearby restaurant patrons. Araki really has it in for pets.

ETA2: "But .  . but that's impossible!!" Dude. You're whipping around town like Spider-Man with purple spiky vines instead of weblines. Seriously . . . dude.

Edited by Lantern7

Dio lost 150% of his coolness factor when he killed that cat. Why didn't he kill the jerks who were making fun of an old guy (OldJo) who got hurt falling off of a roof instead?

He took out OldJo! Say it with me: "OH MY GOD!"

Suddenly this show seems rushed, as if the creator thought to himself "Oh no, we're almost at the end and I haven't killed any good guys yet! I'd better take out most of them right now!"

One would think that all they'd need to take out Dio is hit him with a sufficiently powerful attack that he doesn't see coming.

I found trailers for new anime on this week's Toonami Pre-Flight. Skip to 47:22 for "Diamond is Unbreakable." One character from "Stardust Crusaders" is in the cast, so you might regard that as a spoiler. I think it will air starting tonight.

Oh, and the full credits might be run tonight and in next week's finale, because there's one tiny bit added on just for those episodes.

ETA2: Penultimate episode means that the anime gets completely bananas on us, to the point where I hope next week's finale starts with a highlights montage set to an abbreviated version of "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas. Or maybe someone's done an AMV of that. There should be a place where no-talent geeks like me can request savier people for ideas to post on YouTube.

Anyway . . . Star Platinum and The World face off. DIO takes the camp and creepy past 11, getting more unhinged that The World's time-freeze is slowly being thwarted by Star's speed. Slowly but surely, Jotaro gets the upper hand, even as he's pierced with knifes (some of which are blocked by magazines under Jotaro's jacket . . . because anime) and forces Star to stop his heart to prevent DIO from hearing a beat. Polnareff pops by to remind us that he's not dead, slicing DIO up . . . but not enough to kill him. It looks like Jotaro finally has DIO dead . . . but he unwittingly knocks his opponent back to where they started, and DIO takes in Oldjo's blood for the inevitable power boost. And now, I bring you to my first edit, with the DiU trailer.

ETA: Wait, here we go.

Edited by Lantern7

Wait, did Jotaro actually make a mistake knocking Dio back to OldJo? I refuse to believe it. He never makes mistakes.

Regarding the preview for Diamond is Unbreakable:

• The new guy, who I assume is related to Jotaro in some way, looks kind of like Knuckle from HxH.
  • The animation looks like a step down from Stardust Crusaders.
  • Contrary to the title, diamonds are not unbreakable. Just ask any gem cutter.
23 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Wait, did Jotaro actually make a mistake knocking Dio back to OldJo? I refuse to believe it. He never makes mistakes.

Well, he did seem not to know Petite Polnareff was Polnareff. Right now, I'm thinking that was a lapse by Jotaro, caused by the euphoria of cracking DIO's head wide the fuck open with Star Platinum. I know, he's a vampire/whatever, but how did he remain coherent?

23 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Regarding the preview for Diamond is Unbreakable:

• The new guy, who I assume is related to Jotaro in some way, looks kind of like Knuckle from HxH.
  • The animation looks like a step down from Stardust Crusaders.
  • Contrary to the title, diamonds are not unbreakable. Just ask any gem cutter.

1. Like I said in the HxH forum, I think that hairstyle is standard for juvenile delinquents in anime. The kid is related to Jotaro, but in an offbeat way. And that gets topped in the following edition, Vento Aureo.

2. I've seen bits and pieces. Maybe because the setting isn't as epic? I think the posing is increased. I can't wait to find out.

3. Well, that depends on whether one would look at the words "cut" and "break," and decide, "Eh, lose enough."

ETA for @lathspel . . . that's why I said that we'd get full credits. ". . . END OF THE WOOOORR-!!!!" "ZA WARUDO!!!" Also, I think the DiU guy's Stand is different from DIO's.

Edited by Lantern7

Which Dio is better: “Phantom Blood” or “Stardust Crusaders”? I go with the former, mostly due to wardrobe. DIO (all caps) is imposing enough to make the Pillar Men look like cupcakes . . . but why all the hearts?

I see the next arc is continuing the tradition of wacky outfits and hair.

Spoiler

Disappointed that Joseph cheated on Suzie Q, and seems to have completely ignored the resulting son.

So, they've embarked on this whole quest to save Holly from her developing stand. While we've seen other women, old women, kids and animals all have control over stands they learned by themselves. But no, only Holly is going to die.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

While we've seen other women, old women, kids and animals all have control over stands they learned by themselves. But no, only Holly is going to die.

Doh! I should have thought of that. The brain is the first thing to go...

Well, that was fun. I was spoiled about Jotaro winning, as well as DIO trying to finish him with a motherfucking road roller. Here's the original scene; notice DIO wasn't quippy there.

Anyway, Jotaro pulls the butt-pull to end all butt-pulls to vanquish his hated opponent. Yeah, I know, the last minute deus ex macchina is a big part of anime, but Jotaro stopping time as DIO was coming out of his time-stop? That was pushing it. Then again, DIO changed into a bodybuilder trying to cosplay as Freiza, and Oldjo was brought back by draining the blood stolen from him . .. so I shouldn't look too hard into things. Oldjo lives, Holly lives (though the business with her having a Stand forced onto her from thousands of miles away is never addressed), Polnareff lives (yaaaaaaaaay ?), and we wrap up the third bizarre adventure.

DIO . . . Jonathan would be rolling over in his grave?!? One, you two died at the bottom of an ocean. Two, you have his body! What, his head would be rolling?

This was fun. Next week: we visit a town. A bizarre town. You might even say a crazy, noisy bizarre town.

Edited by Lantern7

Now that Jojo has gotten a transfusion from Dio, is he gonna be a vampire? Because that's how it works. Also, how come Holly's stand went away when Dio died, but Jojo and Jotaro still have theirs? And how did Polnareff get his disintegrated earring back?

Edited by Sandman87

Yep, Holly is the only one who can't handle a Stand and also the only one who loses it once Dio is destroyed. Did we ever mention that Dio is God in Italian?

Polnareff's earring came back twice. You may remember he left one with the woman who took care of him when he was turned into a kid. But he had it back the next episode.

I'm still waiting for a character named Fleetwood Mac.

21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yep, Holly is the only one who can't handle a Stand and also the only one who loses it once Dio is destroyed.

Yeah, if you poke "Stardust Crusaders" hard enough, it starts collapsing. For instance, how did Holly get sick? How could DIO give her a Stand from that far away? Was it even a Stand? Maybe it was just "diagnosed" as such. Maybe Kakioyin, under DIO's influence, implanted a slow-moving brain slug in Holly's brain, and that happened before his fight with Jotaro. And what was the point of Anne? Anna? I get the appeal of having a kid tag with five rugged men on their quest for vengeance/justice, but there's no payoff.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:51 AM, Sandman87 said:

Now that Jojo has gotten a transfusion from Dio, is he gonna be a vampire? Because that's how it works.

Maybe DIO didn't have it long enough? You have to admire Jotaro's lateral thinking . . . as well as Oldjo's sense of timing. "And now, he's gonna wake up. Right old man? Old man???" "ANCIENT SPIRITS OF EVIL!!!!" "Oh. Fuck. Me." "TRANSFORM THIS DECAYING FORM INTO DIO . . . THE EVERLIV-" "STAR PLATINUM!!!!!" "Joke! It was a joke!!!!!"

On 8/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, Terrafamilia said:

It was a bit of a cheat that Star Platinum developed the same powers as The World. The thing about these stands is that their powers are all distinct.

I think Jotaro won because DIO "surfaced" first, while Jotaro was still biding time. If you look at these eyecatches, you'll see that the Stands have almost exact stats.

1. Auction from the estate of Ronnie James Dio, the namesake behind JBA's most dastardly villain (at least through the first three parts; Pillar Men had the better intro music).

2. Brief clip of Giorno Giovana, the Jojo from Vento Aureo. That's coming out in October in Japan. If "Diamond Is Unbreakable" is a hit on Toonami, maybe we get the follow-up right away. However, the production house tends to wait between volumes, so "Stone Ocean" might need to be in development first.

Edited by Lantern7