Type keyword(s) to search

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

To paraphrase -

JoJo to Caesar: You're half cocked!

Caesare to Jojo: No! I assure you, I am most fully cocked!

von Stroheim: Behold, Kars! This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting and this is for fun. But better yet, they are now one and the same!! Is there nothing fine German engineering can't do!?!

• Love 2

"THE FUTURE IS NOW THANKS TO SCIENCE!!! GERMAN SCIENCE!!!!!" Come on, am I the only one who thought of Clement?

I'm guessing we'll get Caesar's backstory next week. I wonder if he was born before his grandfather died. In the end, that guy looked really old. I mean, getting halved can probably put years on anybody, but I wouldn't be surprised if harmon/ripple can slow aging.

Wondering if we'll ever see the sword Jonathan received. Perhaps Speedwagon has it in a case somewhere. "Let me get this right . . . the dead guy gave Grandfather the sword with the word 'LUCK' on it, and then he put in a 'P' on it in blood, making 'PLUCK.' Am I right?" "Well, when you say it like that, it does sound weird."

ETA: Two more things. First, I have to give love to the narrator. Always pops in unexpectedly to convey drama and the occasional bit of physics. Secondly, if anybody is curious about the entire version of "Roundabout," here it is. While I find Yes to be soothing enough not to fast-forward through the closing credits, I can't make much sense of the lyrics.

• Love 1

Von Stroheim is clearly overcompensating with that new gun of his. The less said about his new ability to reach-around, the better.

I'm curious to see what kind of horror show is waiting for them in that old abandoned hotel.

Jojo kicking that cat made me think of a sign I saw online once.  This is probably a paraphase, not the exact words:

"Those who are mean to cats in this life will come back as a litter box in the next."

I'm a crazy cat lady, so if I was there, I would kick Jojo's ass. You don't mess with a crazy cat lady.

Well, RIP Caesar. At least we never heard Jojo exclaim, "Caesar?!? I barely know 'er!!!" I guess that's implied.

Caesar's backstory gets covered before the credits . . . abandoned by his father, turned into a thug, life saved by his dad as he got sucked into the wall with the Pillar Men. Thus the strong familial obligations, even though Mario didn't recognize his oldest and blondest son.

Big surprise: Kars isn't holed up in the hotel, but Wammu is. Huge fight, bubbles vs. wind, and Wammu gets the win. Caesar keeps attacking before dying, and he rips off Wammu's lip ring to save Jojo's life. Also, like his grandfather, he gives his harmon to his rival. Jojo and Lisa Lisa were outside the hotel, but they didn't barge in. They enter as Wammu flees and have a huge cry about their comrade. Then they get ready to kick ass. How many more episodes is in this series? And has Toonami been confirmed to run the adventures of the Joestar line?

Oh, and Messina tracks down Caesar, but Wammu kills him. RIP Messina. Jojo and Lisa Lisa did not seem broken up about that. Is Von Stroheim still alive? He's got halved like Zeppeli, but he's not human anymore.

Alternate episode title: "Wind vs. Bubbles! The Battle of the Flatulence!"

Caesar dies from the number one cause of anime deaths: Flashbacks. Well, that and a cross-shaped slab of rock.

Loggins and Messina sure weren't all that, considering that they were Lisa Lisa's assistants for who knows how long.

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

At least we never heard Jojo exclaim, "Caesar?!? I barely know 'er!!!" I guess that's implied.

Given Caesar's womanizing, the conversation might go more like "Caesar!", "I already did!"

Where are Cult Jam and Full Force? It's only half a joke without them. But kudos to whomever is coming up with the names because Suzie Q is pretty obscure.

Ceasar dies as dramatically as he lives, but doesn't get around to explaining his choice of makeup and accessories.

Lisa Lisa in all her pop 80s glory - Lost in Emotion.

I'm hoping Von Stroheim is good for one more appearance; perhaps built onto the chassis of a Panzer tank or something.

I kept thinking JoJo would show up to save Caesar; I'm a bit surprised he didn't.  Maybe we get to see some of Lisa Lisa's fighting moves now, though. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, lathspel said:

I'm hoping Von Stroheim is good for one more appearance; perhaps built onto the chassis of a Panzer tank or something.

And even though he was half tank, he would somehow manage to strike dramatic poses while bellowing about German science at the top of his lungs:

"My body is the Von Stroheim Sturmgrossedopplekasetodjagerpanzer, Model Omega! German military science it the most unpronounceable in the world!"

My question is whether he'd be satisfied with "only" having an 88mm cannon (suitable for destroying heavy tanks), or would go for something in a 150mm instead.

• Love 1

Bad News: The episode title is misleading. Lisa Lisa (Lislis?) dispatches a vampire that kindasorta sounded like Dana Snyder (best known as Master Shake). And the duo get ready to face one hundred of the Pillar Men's minions. But now we got Jojo vs. Wammu, and Lisa Lisa vs. Kars. The former match will be an old-school Roman chariot duel to the death. Do not ask me if that was a thing centuries before the Roman Empire. Also . . . vampire horses. VAMPIRE HORSES. The guys had masks, they made vampires, and they made vampire horses. At this point . . . is there any breaking point for this show in general? Stone masks, enchanted jewels, flaming-hot abs, a Nazi that doesn't die, supporting characters that get halved horizontally and vertically . .. oh, and Speedwagon and Smokey are basically in the cornfield for this series.

Also, Lisa Lisa turns out to be the baby Jonathan Joestar saved fifty years ago. No, Irina didn't save her. Jojo I did. He tossed the kid to his wife, and then died with Dio. It takes Jojo II too long to realize . . . holy shit . . . Lisa Lisa is fifty years old. Yes, Jojo, you wanted to "hit" that. Happy nightmares!

"Wired Beck." Is that supposed to refer to a band? I'm drawing a blank here. Whoever it is, he has the most fabulous prison duds ever, kind of a striped leotard.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also . . . vampire horses. VAMPIRE HORSES. The guys had masks, they made vampires, and they made vampire horses. At this point . . . is there any breaking point for this show in general?

Maybe they're VAMPIRE CHARIOTS too! Dueling with chariots is inane, but I guess it's no worse than jousting.

16 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

"Wired Beck." Is that supposed to refer to a band? I'm drawing a blank here. Whoever it is, he has the most fabulous prison duds ever, kind of a striped leotard.

All I could think when I saw him was that he must be related to Puri Puri Prisoner.

Maybe the name is a take on Kim Wilde.

Before I forget to ask . . . how many more episodes of "Battle Tendency" are there, and will Toonami run "Stardust Crusaders"? I'm trying not to get ahead, but I saw somebody set the opening credits of that series to "YMCA." There are also bits from Jonathan and Joseph in there.

ETA: I hope nobody studied the credits I posted on the first page too closely. Jojo putting on Caesar's headband may as well have been replaced by "BEST BUDDY BITES IT NEAR THE END."

I've been to a few comic shows. Haven't gotten around to printing out references from JBA to use for artists during sketching. Right now, at minimum, I'm thinking Dio, Young Speedwagon and Joseph. It might be a while before I get to an anime-themed con.

Without spoiling, will future editions of the anime feature female characters more prominently? So far, the only regulars have been Irina and Lisa Lisa. I don't think Suzie Q counts, even though she was in more than one episode.

You know as soon as the chariot dust started in the distance, I was sure it was PillarFaust Von Stroheim, built like an Ork MechaGargant and amplified twice as loud.  Is it bad if my imagination is starting to outpace this crazy show?

I feel like Lisa Lisa is playing to lose here, for some reason.  Maybe just because she's so reserved.  Will she ultimately create one final training experience for JoJo with her death?

Our of all the tropes we do on this show, I'm glad we skipped the "woman is sensitive about her age" bit.  

She's not dead yet, so we may still get something from her about how it's rude to talk about a woman's age.

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 7:44 PM, lathspel said:

I was sure it was PillarFaust Von Stroheim, built like an Ork MechaGargant and amplified twice as loud.

"Jojo, can you not see? This amazing example of German technological might is painted red because the red ones go faster!"

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

Well, Wammu's dead. The fight with Jojo was about as insane as you'd expect, with Jojo getting too big for his britches, getting knocked down a few pegs, then using his guile to prevail.

One question: did we need the narrator to point out how quiet everybody was right before Wammu died? And another: isn't it cold out there? How do Pillar Men keep warm while wearing so little clothes?

Good question, since they don't have Speedwagon's amazing Abs of Fire to keep them warm.

A unicorn horn for seeing with air? Yeah. Ok Japan, we get it. You're nuts.

This whole episode smells like a stealth reference to "All Roads Lead to Rome" by the Stranglers, what with the strangling, the chariots, and taking place in Rome.

Jojo needs to learn a little bit about crossbows. That thing on the end that looks like a stirrup? It is a stirrup, and it's there so the user can use their leg strength to help cock a heavy crossbow. Incidentally, that particular kind of crossbow (bullet throwing) is called a "stone bow." Jojo and Wammu use both theirs to send shots around the stadium ("Roundabout", you might say.)

• Love 1

We're . . . we're not even getting any semblance of reality, are we?

I have to go to bed, so I'll be quick. Jojo thwarts Wammu's final attacks, and the Pillar Man dies with honor. Kars faces Lisa Lisa, seemingly gets owned . . . but it turns out he used a shadow clone. He makes quick work of LL, then grabs the Red Stone Of Asia, because that's all he wanted. Much like the two warriors Jonathan and Zappeli faced in the first volume, Kars has zero honor. He orders his minions to dogpile Jojo.

And then . . . Von Stroheim returns. And he's backed by soldiers with ultraviolet lights. They're backed by Speedwagon. And Smokey's with him. Kars gets some monolouging in before sending Lisa Lisa to her doom. Jojo saves her, but leaves himself wide open. And then Smokey reveals to us that Lisa Lisa is Jojo's mother. How do you say "Sure. Why not?" in Japanese? If Jojo and Lisa Lisa live, Jojo will be punching himself in the dick a lot.

I don't hate her for that. She thought that she was getting a fair fight, especially since Wammu went out with some dignity. She did not fully grasp how sinister Kars could be. "You want me to try and beat you with honor, then face down Jojo for all the marbles after I dispatch you? Fuck that. I'm gonna take the McGuffin and become a god." And then he played her like an electric guitar. In 1936. After being trapped in a wall for millennia. Once again: the mangaka has lost more fucks than any of us could ever give.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

And then he played her like an electric guitar. In 1936.

And that's worse than the Fabulous Jailbird Vampire doing a quick rave dance back in the hotel? In 1936?

I think the insinuation is that Jonathan and Irina conceived a kid before the fateful voyage, which I had doubt at the beginning of the arc. In other news: if Strazio raised Lislis (not letting go of that nickname), does that mean that Joseph killed his grandfather, adopted or otherwise?

Potential bad news. I found out how many episodes are left in "Battle Tendency." The week after that's scheduled to wrap up, Toonami will start airing the second season of Attack on Titan. In other words, we probably won't be getting "Stardust Crusaders." I haven't checked the episode count on the Gundam series, but I'm thinking that another would replace it.

Wait, JYB isn't in the current season, is he? He's Jonathan, not Joseph. And I'm hoping the numbers are high enough to bring Jojo back, because it might be a long, long time before Toonami brings back One Piece.

Speedwagon: Smokey, the story about Lisa Lisa being JoJo's mother is a closely held Joestar family secret and it's entirely up to them to decide how to tell it and who gets to know. So let me give you the entire scoop.

Smokey: Gee, Mr. Speedwagon, that's swell and all but what I really want to know is what's up with this weird necklace thing I'm wearing?

• Love 1

I like that so many of JoJo's tricks are rope or thread related.  Nice touch.

You know, if the Charge of the Ultraviolet Light Brigade had started right away, without waiting  for an artillery barrage, Karrs would probably be dead. 

My DVR was giving me trouble, but I found the recording. I'm really going to miss this show. I mean, Titans are awesome and all, but this anime kept setting the bar higher in terms of insanity.

[ten minutes of intense backstory later]

Smokey: Wow. I am glad you brought me here, even though it was just to tell me the heartbreaking story of Elizabeth. Also, I'm in another country. So cool!

Speedwagon: Indeed. And I probably fulfilled my purpose for this property, because I really didn't contribute much to 'Phantom Blood.' I still don't know what happened to the hat I tried to murder Jonathan Joestar with.

Smokey: I still think we should tell Jojo about his mother. I mean, I get keeping silent . . . but what if he tries to wake her up with a deep kiss?

Speedwagon: If there's tongue, I will consider spilling the beans.

Von Stroheim: Okay, enough sentimental stuff! Let's kill a Pillar Man!!!

Smokey: And that poses another question. Shouldn't Jojo be the guy who does this? He's already taken out Esidisi and Wamuu.

Speedwagon: I made a deal with him and his men. They kill Kars, they get to live in America, no questions asked. Von Nutbag gives the Reich another ten years, tops. He also likes President Roosevelt, who is sort of a machine man himself.

Von Stroheim: READY! UND AIM!!!!!

[Kars flips his body to reveal he is wearing a mask with the Red Stone of Asia]

Jojo: (smacking his head as he carries Lisa Lisa) FUCK!!! I knew I forgot something!!

Von Stroheim: SHIT! HOLD FIRE!!!

Random Troop: Yeah, we can't shut it down. We probably could have checked the body during the flashback.

[Ultraviolet light bursts, filling Kars will untapped energy]

Von Stroheim: Mein gott! We are in der strudel now! DER SHIT STRUDEL!!!

Jojo: Oh, look. A German made things so much worse. Shocker!

• Love 2

Alert: Toonami is running the final two episodes of "Battle Tendency" tonight starting at 12:30. Remember to adjust your DVRs accordingly, especially with Sand Whale and Me screwing things up.

Anime: A magical place where fabulous bad guys transform their hands into cannibal squirrels before being launched into outer space by erupting volcanoes. Are we sure this wasn't written by L. Ron Hubbard?

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 2

Wow. Bravo, JBA. I so want to see "Stardust Crusaders," featuring Racist Jojo and the possibility of Franky, and perhaps the entire Straw Hat crew. But I guess Toonami didn't get the show beyond the first two seasons.

Why didn't we get a scene of Jojo finding out that Lisa Lisa was his mother? He was trying to see her naked. I wouldn't expect hm to blind himself, but maybe a few self-inflicted punches to the dick.

"Smokey Brown"?!? Oi, Japan . . .

ETA: Because I have to. "LOOKS LIKE KARS IS BLASTING OFF AAAGGGGGAAAAIIIIII- [twinkle]"

ETA2: I made a poster. I probably could've did a Google Image search, but I went to the Toonami Tumblr.

Ah Jojo. Batshit insane to the very end. But I'm very disappointed they didn't have a character named Fleetwood Mac. 

Somebody definitely saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Rabid rodent and a "Run away!" Maybe after AoT 2 is finished they will run the next one? It seems to already have a dub. Would much rather have that than the 1900th iteration of Gundam.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Maybe after AoT 2 is finished they will run the next one? It seems to already have a dub. Would much rather have that than the 1900th iteration of Gundam.

I'd definitely rather see more Jojo than more Gundam Unicorn. I like the other Gundam shows though.

Did we ever find out what happened to Zeppeli's top hat? Or that "pluck" sword? They both seemed like they were being set up to appear again.

This was an amazing, mind altering show.  Here's hoping Toonami gets the rest of it someday.  Bravo!

I like that JoJo is using dumb luck to egg on his enemies to the end.  Karrs was so powered up, it makes sense that this was the only way we could get rid of him.

So we know JoJo has a daughter and a grandson he never sees.  Perhaps he's the Speedwagon of the next generation?

Also:  "You had one job, woman!"

I had a von Stroheim moment today while watching a segment from an Andre Rieu concert. He was somewhere in Germany and working the audience with a spiel (in German, with subtitles) about what a lovely city it was and what nice weather they were having, then said "and you are such a great audience!", and I couldn't help responding with "German audiences are the greatest in the world!!!!!"

Reminder: "Stardust Crusaders" starts tonight at midnight, not 12:30 a.m.

ETA: In brief . . .

Jotaro (pronounced "Joe-Joe-Ro" for some reason): What exactly is the story, you old bastard?!?

Jonathan "Jojo II" Joestar: Once upon a time, a unruly youth escaped poverty and tried to murder my grandfather, and he succeeded killing  that guy's father. A century later, the fucker's back, he's taken over my ancestor's body, he sounds like Franky, and the fate of the world is at stake.

Jotaro: Sounds like absolute horseshit.

Holly: OKAY!!!

Jojo: There was also this thing with "pillar men," but I killed two of them and sent the third into space. Oh, and I'm voiced like Batou these days. Or Bobobo, if you prefer.

I'm guessing that Dio's rebirth causes "stands," which is probably related to Hamon. But Avdol had his since birth, so I don't know. And the star birthmark kinda comes out of right field, doesn't it? "Wait . . . you two honestly never noticed that on the back of your necks? I blame myself . . . Suzy Q is a bit of an intelligence drain in terms of genetics."

There was no part of this episode that wasn't annoying.

New Jojo is a delinquent. And rude.

Joseph's voice changed. Now he sounds like Bato.

"Stand?" Really?

Magician's Red? I guess it's better than "Flaming Cock."

New Jojo's "stand" looks like a Pillar Man.

Best line of the episode: "Have either of you taken the time to look carefully at the back of your neck?" No, because they'd have to detach their heads to do that.

19 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and I'm voiced like Batou these days. Or Bobobo, if you prefer.

He's the Bobobo Jojo, yo.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2017 at 10:11 AM, Sandman87 said:

There was no part of this episode that wasn't annoying.

New Jojo is a delinquent. And rude.

Joseph's voice changed. Now he sounds like Bato.

"Stand?" Really?

Magician's Red? I guess it's better than "Flaming Cock."

New Jojo's "stand" looks like a Pillar Man.

Best line of the episode: "Have either of you taken the time to look carefully at the back of your neck?" No, because they'd have to detach their heads to do that.

He's the Bobobo Jojo, yo.

2.  I'm thinking that Jotaro is only like that because of the "evil spirit." Holly kept going on about how he was such a good son, and I'm thinking that he wants to stay away from people for their own safety.

4. I like the implications. Imagine Team Jojo meeting the revived Dio. "Wait . . . I've been asleep for a century, and Hamon-users have evolved to the point where they can launch avatars out of their bodies, allowing them to flex and pose?" "Sounds silly, I know, you body-snatching bastard." "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. [licking lips frantically, going "SCHWEEN" like Hisoka in HxH]"

6. It kinda does look like a Pillar Man. Also: if Jojo (Oldjo?) can manifest a Stand, what would it look like? His grandfather Jonathan? Caesar Zepelli?

7. "Well, that's where the Polaroid camera comes in handy. At least until I smash it with my mutate Hamon powers."

• Love 1