Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Turns out those weren’t the credits from what we saw. . . at least the last few seconds. Still great stuff, though. I only recently noticed that the song was about “1999 bee-zer summer.” Gotta love Engrish. There’s also a fan-made tribute done for Jojo’s twentieth anniversary using “Great Days” as a template. Best part: main characters pointing up, zoom up to see the dead (including Jonathan and Danny) in the clouds . . . then pull back to a shot of Earth, with a petrified Kars floating in space.

Gee, Kira's new kid is something of a perv, isn't he?

I know he has an attitude and his fashion sense is questionable (though on JoJo he fits right in) but Rohan kinda rocks.

I'm guessing the Highway Star Go Go arc might be the weirdest one this season. For now. I mean, the Stand of the week mostly appeared as feet. I wonder if Yuya Fungami has a foot fetish. Then I wonder if he'd get along with Kira.

And yeah, little Hayato has problems. "Mom never gets naked for Dad. Well, not like that." Me: ". . . the fuck?!?" I'm guessing having an identity thief in the Kawajiri house isn't that bad of a problem.

Rohan is still kinda funny, even though he comes off as a snobby snot. With the Cee-Lo game, he starts laughing. Then Josuke starts laughing. They both laugh. Then Rohan chops off his little finger. The whole scene was delightful; Josuke's panicking that Mikitaka can't hold onto his pose as dice, Mikitaka slowly puking out of his pips. Rohan knowing Josuke is cheating but not know how . . . and then Rohan's house burns up. Oh, and some of the furniture was used in the filming of Pretty Woman, which . . . that's just random.

Anybody make references to The Room while watching Rohan examine the room in the tunnel. Like, "You're tearing me apart, Josuke!"? I've never seen the movie, but I've heard bad things.

And, once again, Josuke shows he's not merely a meathead. Trapping Highway Go Go in the car was pretty crafty. So was sucking off an IV bag while getting drained of energy. Yuya could have been sympathetic, but he was just another asshole. And weird. I mean, if your sense of smell gets jacked up, and one of the girls fawning over you is on her period, you shouldn't just announce it.

Finally, this is the original undubbed scene with Koichi and the nurse. Sometimes, the original audio is much funnier.

Feet that smell. Get it? Feet that sm...oh, never mind.

I'm wondering if Koichi's dog will now get a stand.

Darn you Terrafamilia, you stole the joke that I came here to make.

Loved the non-sequitur ending: "Meanwhile, Koichi does something random and ordinary." I guess we can look forward to some sort of dog-walking related adventure next week.

Kira vs. a dead cat that's been reborn as a flower. I hereby dub it a Posy Cat. Also, Kira's newly acquired kid is still a nosy little creep.

How many mushrooms did Araki devour to create this cat/plant/Stand thing? All of the mushrooms.

I see all of the cameras, and I’m imagining Hayato being the special task force investigating Light Yagami in Death Note. And then I’m imagining Kira doing the potato chip bit in his monotone, only without all of  the over-the-top drama. “I’ll take a chip . . . and eat it.”

Seriously, Yoshikage Kira is the unquestioned Big Bad of this edition, and a friggin’ plant with the soul of a cat gave him that much trouble. Not enough to bring out Sheer Heart Attack, but it’s still messed up.

If your cat could spit air bullets you know he would (and I like cats). So Kira's bombs need air in order to detonate? I'm sure that little Achilles' heel will show up again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How many mushrooms did Araki devour to create this cat/plant/Stand thing? All of the mushrooms.

Now that I've thought about it, the Posy Cat looks like something from one of Dali's paintings. You know, one of the ones where you squint a little and suddenly something looks like something else. Like this one.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And then I’m imagining Kira doing the potato chip bit in his monotone, only without all of  the over-the-top drama. “I’ll take a chip . . . and eat it.”

"I'll take a fingernail...and clip it."

Someone is actually getting paid to think up the weirdest shit ever.

The thing that really gets me is the announcer narrating the cat-plant's thought processes, with the occasional meow thrown in. Every time I think this show can't get any more ludicrous, it proves me wrong.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 3:02 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Someone is actually getting paid to think up the weirdest shit ever.

That would be Hirohiko Araki, and he's done eight editions of the manga. And yeah, the sudden turns are what make JBA awesome. Josuke is rushing on a motorcycle, and a mother and baby are in the crosswalk? Have Crazy Diamond beat up the motorcycle, have the debris not harm anyone, then reassemble the bike. Lateral thinking.

I got two JBA-based sketches last weekend: Iggy & The Fool and Koichi & Echoes Act 3. Now I have all six Stardust Crusaders. In other news, I still need a life.

iggy-the-fool.jpg.f9e81454b7fc4a50f8b0f56ea52ae3eb.jpg

koichi-echoes.jpg.699a674bae197699bbeca35eea06e2dd.jpg

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1

In other news, I still need a life. 

Shall I make it more difficult? Are you familiar with Chiller Theater? This is not a comic con or anime con. It's tv-movie-horror leaning heavily on nostalgia. They actually scored Elvira once, and I got to see a presentation by Ray Harryhausen about a year before he passed. With  original maquettes from Sinbad and Attack of the Titans. It was uber-geeky cool. And of course there are vendors and artists.

• Surprise 1

I watched the episode, and I'll probably have to rewatch at least once. From the Jojo Wikia, I found that a few manga arcs were crammed into this episode, so it would need a deeper view. Basically, Josuke, Okuyashu and Mikitaka (the alien guy) deal with an asshole trying to free himself from a self-sustaining Stand (Super Fly) taking the form of a transmission tower, Rohan gets a visitor, and Hayato comes closer to finding the secret of his "father."

Bad news: only eight more episodes left. And I'm sure Golden Wind won't get dubbed right away.

While I'm waiting for reaction . . . which set of opening credits do you consider to be the best? We got seven; nine counting "Fighting Gold" and "Traitor's Requiem" from Golden Wind.