Type keyword(s) to search

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Darn you Terrafamilia, you stole the joke that I came here to make.

Loved the non-sequitur ending: "Meanwhile, Koichi does something random and ordinary." I guess we can look forward to some sort of dog-walking related adventure next week.

How many mushrooms did Araki devour to create this cat/plant/Stand thing? All of the mushrooms.

I see all of the cameras, and I’m imagining Hayato being the special task force investigating Light Yagami in Death Note. And then I’m imagining Kira doing the potato chip bit in his monotone, only without all of  the over-the-top drama. “I’ll take a chip . . . and eat it.”

Seriously, Yoshikage Kira is the unquestioned Big Bad of this edition, and a friggin’ plant with the soul of a cat gave him that much trouble. Not enough to bring out Sheer Heart Attack, but it’s still messed up.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How many mushrooms did Araki devour to create this cat/plant/Stand thing? All of the mushrooms.

Now that I've thought about it, the Posy Cat looks like something from one of Dali's paintings. You know, one of the ones where you squint a little and suddenly something looks like something else. Like this one.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And then I’m imagining Kira doing the potato chip bit in his monotone, only without all of  the over-the-top drama. “I’ll take a chip . . . and eat it.”

"I'll take a fingernail...and clip it."

Someone is actually getting paid to think up the weirdest shit ever.

The thing that really gets me is the announcer narrating the cat-plant's thought processes, with the occasional meow thrown in. Every time I think this show can't get any more ludicrous, it proves me wrong.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 3:02 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Someone is actually getting paid to think up the weirdest shit ever.

That would be Hirohiko Araki, and he's done eight editions of the manga. And yeah, the sudden turns are what make JBA awesome. Josuke is rushing on a motorcycle, and a mother and baby are in the crosswalk? Have Crazy Diamond beat up the motorcycle, have the debris not harm anyone, then reassemble the bike. Lateral thinking.

I got two JBA-based sketches last weekend: Iggy & The Fool and Koichi & Echoes Act 3. Now I have all six Stardust Crusaders. In other news, I still need a life.

iggy-the-fool.jpg.f9e81454b7fc4a50f8b0f56ea52ae3eb.jpg

koichi-echoes.jpg.699a674bae197699bbeca35eea06e2dd.jpg

Edited by Lantern7

In other news, I still need a life. 

Shall I make it more difficult? Are you familiar with Chiller Theater? This is not a comic con or anime con. It's tv-movie-horror leaning heavily on nostalgia. They actually scored Elvira once, and I got to see a presentation by Ray Harryhausen about a year before he passed. With  original maquettes from Sinbad and Attack of the Titans. It was uber-geeky cool. And of course there are vendors and artists.

I watched the episode, and I'll probably have to rewatch at least once. From the Jojo Wikia, I found that a few manga arcs were crammed into this episode, so it would need a deeper view. Basically, Josuke, Okuyashu and Mikitaka (the alien guy) deal with an asshole trying to free himself from a self-sustaining Stand (Super Fly) taking the form of a transmission tower, Rohan gets a visitor, and Hayato comes closer to finding the secret of his "father."

Bad news: only eight more episodes left. And I'm sure Golden Wind won't get dubbed right away.

More bizarre stuff, with two new guys thrown in: a shmuck estimator who does everything to prevent Rohan from looking at his back, and a Stand User that turns Koichi and Josuke's mother into paper. Also, Josuke and Mikitake (the (maybe) alien) vs. Toyohiro within Super Fly, and Kira continues to get what I'm dubbing "the murder sweats." Also, I'm not getting how a guy's fingernails can grow that quickly. I know, the word "bizarre" is in the anime's title, so I shouldn't get hung up on that.

Edited by Lantern7

Show seems to be getting a bit chaotic. All the jumping back and forth between different characters is annoying.

15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, I'm not getting how a guy's fingernails can grow that quickly.

They grow so fast that they're audible.

(edited)

WOW.

Having Kira confront Hayato? That's expected. Having both of them naked because Hayato was in the tub trying to think of a plan? Weird. Having Kira also buck-ass naked? FUCKING WOW. Just another level of hilarious creepiness. "How can this be any more awkward?" "Here are the characters blocked off where you know it's not that kind of anime, but you're still amazed they went there."

The other plots were fun . .. Cheap Trick Trap get foiled by Rohan and the demons from Ghost, while Kira finally succumbs to the murder sweats, kills a dude, get his girlfriend to trim his ever-lengthening fingernails, then vaporizes her except for her hand and forearm.

Last week was fucked up as well. I'm not sure what was harder to believe: Enigma Misterioso being able to hold fire and electricity in paper, or it holding on to a giant paper shredder? That was inspired . . . and then Fungami has to ruin things by stepping up to save Josuke and Koichi, and Miyamoto gets turned into a book. Sure, why not?!?

ETA: Forgot about the loaded gun. I get how that could be held in the paper, but how could it be fired??

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

Just four episodes left, so you know what that means . . the current edition's Big Bad seems nigh unstoppable. Here, the Magic Arrow thrusts itself into Kira's arm, giving our hand-loving sociopath's Stand a new ability: Bites the Dust. Basically, it's a tiny Killer Queen (suck it, lawyers) that lies in Hayato, blows anyone up who does any inquiring about Kira, and then hits rewind. I'm not sure how "Bites the Dust" made the transition to English. Was "Groundhog Day" too on the nose? How about "Prince of  the Universe"? I mean, Kira did monotone about how he had no rivals. "No man can be my equal" would be the logical next line.

Rohan was doomed from the start. As much as one could give him shit about perusing Hayato's "pages" . . .  how was he supposed to know a tiny explosive would basically blow him up as bad as poor dumb Shigechi?

Oh, and I got a new Jojo sketch today . . . Okuyashu & The Hand. I printed out a bunch of references, and I'll be going to a three-day show next weekend.

IMG_0217.thumb.JPG.01feb862b419efd13aa8a75526ae2c7a.JPG

Edited by Lantern7

This episode is brought to you by Pepsi.

I'm not sure I quite understand the point of the timey-wimey bomb. Sure, eliminate anyone the brat tips off but why the reset? That just sets up Kira to be put into who knows how many resets (Kira won't know how many, only Hayato will) all the while giving Hayato all the time needed to figure out a way to finally beat the loop.

Wait...if Rohan got blown up, and then Deadly Queen did a time-skip back to earlier that day, doesn't that mean that Rohan isn't all blowed up anymore?

On 5/12/2019 at 4:08 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I'm not sure I quite understand the point of the timey-wimey bomb

It would make sense if it only blew people up, or only did the time skip. Maybe Kira wants to traumatize Hayato as many times as possible. 

Oh noes! Kira has hijacked the opening number! Is there no one who can stop this man's villainy!??!

The timey-wimey bomb is more insidious than previously suspected. Even though Hayato can change some things others, like Rohan going ka-blooey, must still occur (cue Capt. Janeway and her dislike of time travel).

On 5/19/2019 at 1:51 PM, Terrafamilia said:

(cue Capt. Janeway and her dislike of time travel). 

Cue me and my dislike of time travel plots. Hijacking the credits was cute though. Now Toonami should have him hijack one of the bumps.

(edited)

I'll have to rewatch the episode on DVR. As much as I can feel sympathy for Hayato, watching the fickle finger of fate essentially finger him over and over was pretty funny. Especially when Bites The Dust appears with Kira's triumphant voice, as our heroes get blown the fuck up. And then we get Groundhog Day, because why not at this point?

And the "Bites the Dust" remix of "Great Days" is jarring, isn't it? Also, one lyric sounds like "Let the joy of love give her cancer." Judge for yourself.

In other news, I got three sketches at a comic show this past weekend: Baron Zeppeli, Kira with Sheer Heart Attack (concept shown was my idea), and Yoshihiro with Atom Heart Father.

ETA: I forgot to ask . . . how does Kira's (acquired) hair go from dark to white with dark stripes when he combs it back?

Edited by Lantern7
On 5/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: I forgot to ask . . . how does Kira's (acquired) hair go from dark to white with dark stripes when he combs it back?

Styling mousse? A new stand that he hasn't mentioned yet? An emulsion made from his fingernail clippings?

(edited)

Trying to think about how Hayato could drop dime in Kira and not get anybody killed in the process. Would this work?

1. Hayato gets into a situation where he is with Josuke and Rohan.
  2. At Hayato’s insistence, Heaven’s Door makes Josuke blind and deaf for about 15-30 seconds.
  3. Hayato reveals what he knows to Rohan.
  4. As Bites the Dust leaps towards Rohan, Josuke reverts to normal, having not heard the revelation or seen the kid’s lips move.
  5. While Hayato runs away, Crazy Diamond negates all damage inflicted on Rohan.
  6. Rohan tells Josuke. Josuke is safe because he doesn’t hear that from Hayato.

Knowing my observation skills, I’m probably way off. Also, BtD could leap from Rohan to Josuke, and then we’d be back at the beginning. I don’t read spoilers, so I’m not trying for a “This wouldn’t work in a million years, but wouldn’t I be awesome if I called that?” thing.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

Kira accidentally outs himself to Jojo, so he's not going to automatically explode. Stuff happens. Meanwhile, Jotaro and Rohan somehow manage to ignore the screaming and the explosions.

I'm impressed that Kira has found a place where he can buy ties that have little Deadly Queen heads on them. Talk about specialty clothing.

23 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Note to Kira: Exploding air bullets might be a bit more effective if they weren't so slow.

"Mooninites; duplicate, reunite, and u-nihilate!"

Edited by Sandman87
(edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Sandman87 said:

Kira accidentally outs himself to Jojo, so he's not going to automatically explode. Stuff happens. Meanwhile, Jotaro and Rohan somehow manage to ignore the screaming and the explosions.

Maybe profound deafness is common in Morioh? Perhaps that's why it's considered a "crazy noisy bizarre town."

On 5/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Sandman87 said:

I'm impressed that Kira has found a place where he can buy ties that have little Deadly Queen heads on them. Talk about specialty clothing.

He's basically the sharpest-dressed Big Bad of the franchise so far. I mean, DIO had the heart fetish, and the Pillar Men dressed like they really were from before recorded history.

Killer Queen is annoying enough . . . but adding Stray Cat to its midsection to make explosive air bubbles? Total overkill. We are in the home stretch (only two more episodes left), so Kira being "OP" is to be expected. I liked how Hayato sacrificed himself knowing Josuke would put him back together. Maybe he takes forever to get out of bed because his balls are that big, and he doesn't have the heart to tell his mother.

ETA: Tweaks. Also, I wrote "deafness" and "Noisy" in the same sentence. I did not mean to be ironically funny there.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)
10 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Does anyone know if Adult Swim is going to air the next season any time soon?

I'm thinking one year from now, minimum. "Golden Wind" is approaching its end run now (32 episodes aired out of 39) over in Japan. We'd have to wait for whatever deals Viz makes to import the series, then there's dub casting and all that stuff. I didn't think "Diamond is Unbreakable" would get released before it did because there had been no indication of dubbing before Toonami announced it. But DiU had been completed in enough time where it wouldn't have been that big of a hassle to import it.

From what I've seen in clips, "Golden Wind" is bizarre as hell, so it fits the franchise well enough. I have no idea when "Stone Ocean" gets adapted in Japan, or if the two "volumes" set in alternate timelines ("Steel Ball Run," "Jojolion") will also be used.

ETA: Days between last episode airing in Japan and the first episode on Toonami: 603 days. Not sure if that’s the most accurate measuring stick.

ETA2: Well, the penultimate episode shows that Josuke might come off as a meathead, but he's a very cagey fighter. He wouldn't let something like piercing wood in his side and leg let him fuck up Kira AND trick him into blowing his father up. And when things get dire, Okuyashu comes back from the dead to negate Kira's deadly combo attacks AND snag Stray Cat. Oh, and the resulting explosions bring in the rest of Team Jojo.

And there's an opening bit when a pervy dude grabs a pair of discarded panties, only to get blown to kingdom come because Killer Queen place a bomb on it. I'm going to miss this series. I mean, there's been an increase in batshit insane geek-friendly shows, but the Jojo franchise has been delightful to watch.

Edited by Lantern7

I liked that in the final scene, the holes in Kira’s back have tiny horns.  They’re basically small Deadly Queens. 

I’m not convinced postcard Kira’s Dad is really dead. 

On 6/2/2019 at 2:50 AM, Sandman87 said:

Kira is too focused on using his new air-bombs in creative ways. He could have taken care of all of his problems instantly if he had just turned the house into a bomb.

I think that would be too large for him. Or it would've taken more time to do. I dunno . . . I'm going with Gambit rules for Kira.

Funny . . . I was watching The Promised Neverland, and it turns out Ray's (female) VA also plays Hayato on this show.

(edited)

Since DiU ends tonight, I might as well share this. I don't think there are any major spoilers for volumes 5-8. Also: "Indiana Joj & The Friendliest Nazi." Good times.

ETA: And they lived happy ever after. Even Papa Nijimura, who seemed okay being a mutant freak. Like what happened to Rose's brother in Fullmetal Alchemist. Just a bizarre bird . . . thing. Also, Mikitaka is now hanging out with Kanedichi at Super Fly, and we never find out if he was really an alien. Oh, and Josuke rips off his dad's wallet, which means Oldjo exits basically the way he entered in "Battle Tendency": getting his pocket picked.

I was spoiled about Kira getting killed by an ambulance, but I didn't know his head would be crushed. Holy shit, what a comparatively mundane way to go. Kars got launched into space in a state of living death. DIO died because Jotaro was able to get his Stand to mimic The World's time-stopping ability. Kira gets his friggin' head crushed. Then he goes to the Great Beyond . . . well, that nameless alley no one seems to remember. There, Reimi and Arnold introduce him to the spectral hands .. . which I now believe belonged to all the girls Kira had murdered. Couldn't be a more fitting end for that asshole.

Oh, and he revealed that seeing the hands of the Mona Lisa gave him his first erection. Or, as the Viz dub puts it, "a rock hard cock." And here I thought only Angelo could have that.

Edited by Lantern7

Kira's death is the funniest thing I've seen all month; run over by the ambulance that's coming to take him to the hospital!

How did the Posey Cat manage to survive? it was inside Deadly Queen last time I saw it.

1 minute ago, Sandman87 said:

How did the Posey Cat manage to survive? it was inside Deadly Queen last time I saw it.

In the prior episode, Okuyashu used The Hand to remove it from Killer Queen's body.

Here's a fan video done in 2017 in honor of JBA's thirtieth anniversary. I didn't post it because it teased Kira's fate. I think it went heavy on "Vento Auerro" because that was the next volume fans were waiting to see adapted.

(edited)

Wow, it just wasn't Kira' day, was it? And so, we bid adieu to the big little town of Morioh with it's remarkably vacant streets - where people can engage in duels to the death with nary a passing pedestrian let alone vehicle traffic.

Edited by Terrafamilia
spelling is good
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 3:14 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Wow, it just wasn't Kira' day, was it?

Now I'm imagining Dan Green voicing the Pharaoh in Yu-Gi-Oh!, as he curbstomps dumbass Weevil in the Dartz arc. "THIS JUST ISN'T YOUR DAY!!!!!"

And here's an analysis of the "Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town," "chase" and "Great Days" opening credits. It's from the same guy that did the previous videos on past Jojo OPs. I'm not sure if/when he'll get to "Fighting Gold" and “Requiem For A Traitor." Given that "Golden Wind" is winding down in Japan, that'll probably happen sooner than later.

Edited by Lantern7

I liked that this series kept it relatively light, so they could always have some humor without it getting too dark.  

Kira lost a hand to Arnold, before he was dragged off to Hell (?) by all those hands.  Very fitting.

I’m glad we left open the possibility that Postcard Dad is still out there with the arrow somewhere.  Remember when your goal was to retrieve that, guys?

On 6/12/2019 at 10:26 PM, lathspel said:

I’m glad we left open the possibility that Postcard Dad is still out there with the arrow somewhere.  Remember when your goal was to retrieve that, guys?

Spoilers in regard to the arrow:

Spoiler

Turns out there's more than one arrow, and the one Yoshihiro had wasn't the same as the first one we saw.

Well that was a bizarre end to Kira.  I love the detail of Kira's looks change back in the alley.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:26 PM, lathspel said:

If I recall there's two arrows in the story.  Red Hot Chili Pepper's was retrieved by the Speedwagon foundation (which ended that mission).  The Yoshikage arrow showed up when they were looking for the mystery killer.  I'm pretty certain the dad is dead dead now since Deadly Queen's explosions are pretty brutal, especially taking the full force of one.  I kind of love how Josuke pretended to be the dad on the phone, it was really silly. 

I'm still printing up references to be used for sketches. Here are two I got this past weekend: Stray Cat (Justin Vasquez) and Yukako (Diego S.)

1078278642_StrayCat.JPG.65e3d6f0a6fa8079787b5a296d17ed98.JPGYukako.JPG.314954c773c3bb2f9cfb28deb9e5d78c.JPG

Unused references: Kira/Kosaku & Killer Queen, Anubis (sword and jackal head), Caesar Zepelli, and Jotaro in his DiU outfit along with Star Platinum.