Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenge in the Media: "The road to [fame] is straight and narrow."

• Start Topic

(edited)

Yes, Sarah and Susie are still podcasting (it's on iTunes, too, but haven't heard about any transcriptions).

Susie raised the point (and Sarah acknowledged it was probably true) that Johnny's over-the-top irrational and hypocritical hatred of Sarah after Exes was probably a ploy to ensure he would get her as a Rivals partner. Susie then said that she had just started texting with him again in the wake of the the Johnny Bananas interview linked above thread (and to answer your question above, scrb ... yes, Susie and Sarah confirmed that they were both survivors and were OK with him referencing them in the way he did, but Susie said she doesn't know how he knew that).

This led to a discussion of the Tonya/Ruins incident (which has been discussed plenty in the Ruins thread), and we get more information than we've ever gotten before. I guess several of them had to sign non-disclosure agreements, but Sarah says she wasn't one of them. And while she still didn't come right out and say exactly what happened, she did drop some details that haven't ever come out before:

-- Susie and Sarah both say they were in the room for the incident and know exactly what happened (Susie's husband, a former BMP cameraman, was on duty that night, too, and Susie says nobody had a better vantage point than Sarah).
-- Apparently, the people who came forward on Tonya's behalf were Wes, Veronica and Katie Doyle. (Susie said Wes made a statement recently in a Facebook live event that said "Something bad happened that night, and Kenny and Evan paid a price for it" and added he wasn't specific but implied something criminal had happened.)
-- Sarah, who says she's friends with Wes AND Kenny, is asked point-blank by Susie how can she be friends with Wes when he's falsely accused Kenny of a crime? Sarah had no answer other than to say they've never discussed it.
-- Sarah's words: "Was it sexual misconduct? Yes. Was it illegal or criminal? No."
-- Susie and Sarah both stressed that there was "no touching."
-- Susie and Sarah said that it'd be OK to be mad at Kenny and Evan for what they did, calling it frat-house hijinks, but it's wrong to call it what it was called in the legal proceedings.
-- Susie said she reached out to Johnny after the article and thanked him for sticking up for Kenny publicly. She said his response was "of course I did, he's my best friend, but it's more important when you and Sarah stick up for him because of what you've been through."

So, my question is this: Since we know from the information that was actually released that a toothbrush was somehow involved, what could these two guys have done that two women who self-identify as feminists would say "it was inappropriate, yes, but I love him and I'll have his back forever"?

I have a scenario in my head of what it maybe COULD have been but, as a man, I don't think it's my place to say. I would love to hear from the women of the P.TV forums on this.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'm a woman and have no idea what could be considered sexual misconduct but not illegal. Not too impressed with either Susie or Sarah after that additional information. 

ETA: wonder if "no touching" means Kenny and Evan didn't touch her, or that Tonya wasn't touched period? If it's the former, duh, no one accused them of that. If it's the latter, then I agree it can't be called sexual assault but then why not just say what it was?

Not at all surprised that Sarah would remain friends with both Wes and Kenny. She just can't stand to not have anyone not like her. She'd probably renounce Wes if it would earn her more favor with Kenny, but Wes probably gives her a lot more attention than Kenny does so it's not worth it right now.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 4
(edited)

Admittedly I didn't read all the details from the legal documents but I do remember seeing something about them penetrating Tonya with the toothbrush and if that is indeed what happened then Sarah and Suzie need to take several seats and get the *bleep* out of here with that shit that it was misconduct but not criminal. How is it not criminal that this woman was violated while she was passed out and unable to consent (again it has been awhile but if my memory is correct, Tonya was passed out right)?

And their whole "there was no touching" is honestly the most pathetic thing ever, especially coming from two survivors of rape and abuse. Because the fact that they didn't use their hands and fingers, it suddenly means their actions weren't illegal. I hope for Suzie and Sarah's cases that any child they ever have never have someone use an object on them in a sexual way and have to have their mothers say it was misconduct but not criminal. 

Honestly, considering the level of testosterone, meatheads and alcohol/drug use that goes on during these challenges, I am surprised that this is the only incident of something like this. Of course my suspicion is it isn't but people just never came forward about it and considering Suzie and Sarah's comments above, that would not be surprising. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

It does come across to me as though Susie and Sarah are basically saying, Tonya wasn't assaulted in the traditional way like we were (ie penile or finger penetration), and plus, is a big ole slut, and we aren't, and therefore we don't consider what happened to her to be a crime.

The only thing I can think of, if we are assuming a toothbrush was involved but Susie and Sarah are saying she wasn't actually touched/penetrated was that Kenny and Evan used a toothbrush to lift up Tonya's skirt/shorts/bathing suit or whatever, but stopped short of touching her with the toothbrush. If that is the case, I guess in the strictest legal sense, that can't be called sexual assault but I believe it would still be illegal and in layman's terms still a sexual assault. Regardless, incredibly creepy of them to do that and have people just sitting there laughing about it. Since Susie specifically mentions a "vantage point' of Sarah's, that does make think they were doing something to her that Sarah could tell stopped short of actual contact.

And fuck Johnny for suggesting that if two victims of sexual assault disagree that something was a sexual assault, that somehow nullifies the victim's feelings of being assaulted. Susie and Sarah don't speak for everyone just because of what they went through.

• Love 10

My personal opinion...Sarah ain't shit as a feminist when it comes down to acceptance and being part of the "in crowd." There was not a lawsuit or settlement due to lifting someone's skort with a toothbrush.

Sarah is a garbage ass person who seeks acceptance before she looks to protect women. 

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, sunsheyen said:

My personal opinion...Sarah ain't shit as a feminist when it comes down to acceptance and being part of the "in crowd." There was not a lawsuit or settlement due to lifting someone's skort with a toothbrush.

Sarah is a garbage ass person who seeks acceptance before she looks to protect women. 

To clarify my post- that is what I am speculating they are claiming happened (ie not actually penetrating Tonya with the toothbrush)- not necessarily what I think actually happened.

I would hope they are not admitting that penetration by toothbrush happened but still falls under the category of "frat hijinks".

ETA: I'd say Susie is as much a garbage person as Sarah. I don't think her motivation is the same (I doubt she really gives a shit what JEK think of her), but she dislikes Tonya so intensely, plus, I think Susie also has some pretty backwards ideas about women and culpability in sexual assault cases (ie, Tonya "brought it on herself" by being so promiscuous). I think that essay she posted a few years back regarding misogyny on the challenges (whereby she dismissed all accusations against K&E) was deliberately misleading. At no point during her attack on Tonya did she admit Kenny and Evan had done "something" that was not okay. She made it sound like Tonya made the whole thing up.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Bob Sambob said:

Yes, Sarah and Susie are still podcasting (it's on iTunes, too, but haven't heard about any transcriptions).

Susie raised the point (and Sarah acknowledged it was probably true) that Johnny's over-the-top irrational and hypocritical hatred of Sarah after Exes was probably a ploy to ensure he would get her as a Rivals partner. Susie then said that she had just started texting with him again in the wake of the the Johnny Bananas interview linked above thread (and to answer your question above, scrb ... yes, Susie and Sarah confirmed that they were both survivors and were OK with him referencing them in the way he did, but Susie said she doesn't know how he knew that).

This led to a discussion of the Tonya/Ruins incident (which has been discussed plenty in the Ruins thread), and we get more information than we've ever gotten before. I guess several of them had to sign non-disclosure agreements, but Sarah says she wasn't one of them. And while she still didn't come right out and say exactly what happened, she did drop some details that haven't ever come out before:

-- Susie and Sarah both say they were in the room for the incident and know exactly what happened (Susie's husband, a former BMP cameraman, was on duty that night, too, and Susie says nobody had a better vantage point than Sarah).
-- Apparently, the people who came forward on Tonya's behalf were Wes, Veronica and Katie Doyle. (Susie said Wes made a statement recently in a Facebook live event that said "Something bad happened that night, and Kenny and Evan paid a price for it" and added he wasn't specific but implied something criminal had happened.)
-- Sarah, who says she's friends with Wes AND Kenny, is asked point-blank by Susie how can she be friends with Wes when he's falsely accused Kenny of a crime? Sarah had no answer other than to say they've never discussed it.
-- Sarah's words: "Was it sexual misconduct? Yes. Was it illegal or criminal? No."
-- Susie and Sarah both stressed that there was "no touching."
-- Susie and Sarah said that it'd be OK to be mad at Kenny and Evan for what they did, calling it frat-house hijinks, but it's wrong to call it what it was called in the legal proceedings.
-- Susie said she reached out to Johnny after the article and thanked him for sticking up for Kenny publicly. She said his response was "of course I did, he's my best friend, but it's more important when you and Sarah stick up for him because of what you've been through."

So, my question is this: Since we know from the information that was actually released that a toothbrush was somehow involved, what could these two guys have done that two women who self-identify as feminists would say "it was inappropriate, yes, but I love him and I'll have his back forever"?

I have a scenario in my head of what it maybe COULD have been but, as a man, I don't think it's my place to say. I would love to hear from the women of the P.TV forums on this.

Thanks for posting.  That's really great info.  I personally take everything Sarah and Susie say with a grain of salt because, as many people have said above, the former is a people pleaser with a really irrational devotion to people who have treated like her dirt for the sake of laughs and the latter I find to be a despicable person based on what she has presented to the world (edited or not). 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Admittedly I didn't read all the details from the legal documents but I do remember seeing something about them penetrating Tonya with the toothbrush and if that is indeed what happened then Sarah and Suzie need to take several seats and get the *bleep* out of here with that shit that it was misconduct but not criminal.  ...

And their whole "there was no touching" is honestly the most pathetic thing ever, especially coming from two survivors of rape and abuse. Because the fact that they didn't use their hands and fingers, it suddenly means their actions weren't illegal.

If what I originally said was unclear, they clearly said that the penetration allegations are false.

As for some other stuff:

2 hours ago, Tatum said:

At no point during her attack on Tonya did she admit Kenny and Evan had done "something" that was not okay. She made it sound like Tonya made the whole thing up.

That might be because she was deposed and couldn't say it. Sarah wasn't. And Wes was the one who made the "something" quote.

1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I personally take everything Sarah and Susie say with a grain of salt because, as many people have said above, the former is a people pleaser with a really irrational devotion to people who have treated like her dirt for the sake of laughs and the latter I find to be a despicable person based on what she has presented to the world (edited or not).

I pretty much agree with your assessments on both of them, but I just don't think they'd lie about this, about protecting a sexual assault. I don't know ... benefit of the doubt, I guess.

But tatum, I agree with you (about the skirt scenario), but I'll go a step further: I think they just put her toothbrush down the back of her pants when she was passed out. Remember the episode that season when they were fucking around with drunk Derrick AND drunk Tonya, throwing the baby powder in Derrick's face and then in Tonya's face? I always assumed that was the same night. If Evan and Kenny had stuck Derrick's toothbrush down his pants when he was sleeping/passed out, that would be "frat-house hijinks," would it not? But they do the exact same thing to Tonya, it becomes something different. Plus, it would lend some credence to Wes/Veronica/Katie coming forward.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Bob Sambob said:

If what I originally said was unclear, they clearly said that the penetration allegations are false.

As for some other stuff:

That might be because she was deposed and couldn't say it. Sarah wasn't. And Wes was the one who made the "something" quote.

I pretty much agree with your assessments on both of them, but I just don't think they'd lie about this, about protecting a sexual assault. I don't know ... benefit of the doubt, I guess.

But tatum, I agree with you (about the skirt scenario), but I'll go a step further: I think they just put her toothbrush down the back of her pants when she was passed out. Remember the episode that season when they were fucking around with drunk Derrick AND drunk Tonya, throwing the baby powder in Derrick's face and then in Tonya's face? I always assumed that was the same night. If Evan and Kenny had stuck Derrick's toothbrush down his pants when he was sleeping/passed out, that would be "frat-house hijinks," would it not? But they do the exact same thing to Tonya, it becomes something different. Plus, it would lend some credence to Wes/Veronica/Katie coming forward.

But she did say "something" happened. She said she was in the room for "the incident" and her now husband filmed it. 

In her essay, she said "I did not see an attack of any kind". Now granted, she could have considered the "incident" to not be an attack and therefore was telling the truth, but the wording she uses deliberately implies "nothing" happened, not "something happened but it wasn't what the accusation was". She makes it sound like Tonya made up the accusation out of thin air, not that what happened to Tonya was something that was grossly exaggerated by people who weren't even in the room when it happened. People like Susie are part of the reason people who feel like they've been violated don't speak up. And if she was legally required to not clarify what really happened, she shouldn't have said anything about it at all. I think her essay was intentionally misleading. 

I don't know if a toothbrush was actually inserted in Tonya's vagina. More importantly, Tonya doesn't know. She has to rely on people who she doesn't like or trust and that don't like her to tell her if she was violated or not. That is a horrible position to be in and even if Kenny and Evan didn't penetrate her, the fact that they were fucking around with her while passed out is why she has to spend the rest of her life wondering what happened to her. I have no sympathy for those two regardless of whether it was a rape or a "hijink" that was misinterpreted as a rape (and I still think whatever the "hijink" was, it was grounds for removal from this show and a stern warning to the remaining cast that this was not okay). BMP was clearly not going to do that until they legally had to. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Bob Sambob said:

The only reason I don't think it would be that is if the guys did the same thing to Derrick as they did to Tonya, I guarantee at least one person (especially Johnny) would've used some kind of defense of Kenny and Evan along the lines of "Well, the same thing happened to Derrick and he didn't have a problem with it, why should Tonya?"  If we take it at face value that no penetration happened at all (and I'm with @Tatum that Sarah and Susie aren't the most reliable narrators), as a woman, I would feel a million percent more violated if someone lifted up my skirt than if they stuck a toothbrush out of the back of my skirt.  I mean, I wouldn't be pleased either way, but I would consider the first a much larger violation.  And I would buy that some of those guys would try and write lifting up a skirt as "frat boy hijinks" and "teehee, aren't we funny; we lifted up Tonya's skirt!  It's alright though, because we didn't touch her, the toothbrush did!".  

3 hours ago, Tatum said:

I don't know if a toothbrush was actually inserted in Tonya's vagina. More importantly, Tonya doesn't know. She has to rely on people who she doesn't like or trust and that don't like her to tell her if she was violated or not. That is a horrible position to be in and even if Kenny and Evan didn't penetrate her, the fact that they were fucking around with her while passed out is why she has to spend the rest of her life wondering what happened to her. I have no sympathy for those two regardless of whether it was a rape or a "hijink" that was misinterpreted as a rape (and I still think whatever the "hijink" was, it was grounds for removal from this show and a stern warning to the remaining cast that this was not okay). BMP was clearly not going to do that until they legally had to. 

100% this.  Quite honestly, I'm hoping someone in that room had the decency to tell Tonya what exactly happened to her, because while it might be hard to hear, it's even harder knowing that multiple people watched and knew what happened to you and you don't.  

• Love 6
(edited)

The reason I refuse to buy it was something as simple as throwing a toothbrush down her skirt or whatever is the fact that BMP settled this case and went as far as permanently banning Kenny and Evan from the challenges. This is the show that allowed CT's crazy ass back on after he damn near killed poor Adam and there was no misunderstanding or misconstruing that as it was all caught on tape. In fact word was that people like Evan and others complained about him being allowed back after that incident. Yet they let him back on but banned Kenny and Evan who were supposedly popular from my understanding (I personally didn't like either and just saw them as the douche trio, along with Johnny). Sorry, I call bullshit on "nothing but some frat-house hijinks" happening. Not to mention that considering the MANY stories and lawsuits against frats with regard to sexual assaults on women, I don't think calling what they did frat boy hijinks is a positive in their favor. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 12

It sounds like they're just trying to re-frame it using words that might be technically true but that dismiss the actual act.  If Sarah isn't bound to not discuss things, and what happened isn't criminal, why doesn't she just say exactly what happened?  If she thinks it clears her friends, why not come right out and say it?  And I'm calling all kinds of BS on that "it was sexual misconduct, but not illegal" crap.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, KerleyQ said:

It sounds like they're just trying to re-frame it using words that might be technically true but that dismiss the actual act.  If Sarah isn't bound to not discuss things, and what happened isn't criminal, why doesn't she just say exactly what happened?  If she thinks it clears her friends, why not come right out and say it?  And I'm calling all kinds of BS on that "it was sexual misconduct, but not illegal" crap.  

Sarah and Susie have painted themselves into a corner here by saying they eyewitnessed the "incident". If they say what it was, and the majority of people do find it to be a sexual assault on Tonya, then not only are Evan and Kenny guilty, but so are Sarah and Susie. They are deliberately being vague to avoid potential judgment since they've admitted they watched it happen and still support the accused.

• Love 4

We're getting a touch off-topic for this thread, considering it's about The Challenge in the media and we're discussing the intricacies of an alleged rape of a former cast member. I appreciate that this came up because of Susie and Sarah Rice's podcast, but I think we've taken the discussion as far as it can go, at least in this thread. Thanks!

• Love 1

Let the S29 speculation run rampant! Nice to see BMP indulging in my worst case scenario, plucking the bottom three from GBOGH to possibly complete. For some reason, my pick for best cast member might make the cut. I'm thinking that person is too nice, and will be sacrificed to the dark gods that these idiots worship.

ETA: There is one noticeable name missing. I'm choosing not to read into that.

Could that potentially be another Exes season?  Because I'm seeing a lot of rumored or known hook-ups on there.  Of course, at this point the casting pool has become so incestuous that it would be impossible to not see former hook ups on any casting list, I guess.  I was relieved to not see John's name on there, but his dumbass cousin is on there.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

Really? I wonder why.

I wonder if the answer to this is what's in the spoiler thread for this season.  I can see a lot of the regulars being wary after that. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

I wonder if the answer to this is what's in the spoiler thread for this season.  I can see a lot of the regulars being wary after that. 

Good call. And it's not like the could do anything to avoid it either. Wonder if this means some of the regs will actually get jobs.

On 7/17/2016 at 6:17 PM, Lantern7 said:

Let the S29 speculation run rampant! Nice to see BMP indulging in my worst case scenario, plucking the bottom three from GBOGH to possibly complete. For some reason, my pick for best cast member might make the cut. I'm thinking that person is too nice, and will be sacrificed to the dark gods that these idiots worship.

ETA: There is one noticeable name missing. I'm choosing not to read into that.

What is GBOGH?

43 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I try to articulate this season on my blog. I wrote this on my iPad, so the formatting needs to be installed. A lot of it is stuff rehashed from this forum, so I won't blame you for letting it slip.

Rob Dyrdek. I know, Rob isn't in the Bunim-Murray Productions “family,” but he's probably the most entertaining person on MTV. Also, he could have whipped up a theme song for the show. And perhaps performed it as Bobby Light, his Eighties one-hit wonder alter ego.)

This would be phenomenal!

Dare to dream. And I threw in Frankie because BMP persuaded her to pass up Starting Over for The Real World, with the carrot being a potential Challenge appearance despite her condition. BMP would've saved a lot on wardrobe with her funky outfits.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Dare to dream. And I threw in Frankie because BMP persuaded her to pass up Starting Over for The Real World, with the carrot being a potential Challenge appearance despite her condition. BMP would've saved a lot on wardrobe with her funky outfits.

I think I vaguely remember that she was supposed to be on Starting Over! (I absolutely loved the first year of that show.)

VH1 Classic becomes MTV Classic on Aug. 1. Since the story says the channel may have a 90s bent, only the first couple of the Challenges would qualify. But the story does mention Laguna Beach, as well, so maybe we'll get lucky and get the best of the best BMP-wise.

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I checked the schedule. No sign of RW or its spinoffs.

They're running a marathon of the original NY season next Sunday. If they decide to show old challenges, please let it be pre-Bananas era.

• Love 2

Haven't listened to it yet but the latest episode of the Bill Simmons podcast has an interview with Bananas explaining his screw-over.

And then I guess Simmons and others discuss it.

I'm guessing Bill partook of Johnny's ass. That's so disappointing. Not like I'd want him to still have posters of CT on his bedroom wall, but he has crap taste in people he admires.

Once I gut my way through the reunion on DVR, I'll try and write about it on my blog.

Yeah Bill was rimming him, comparing him to Michael Jordan.

Bananas was coming up with all kinds of rationalizations, sometimes contradicting himself, saying Sarah was one of the few people he hung out with and then later said it's a TV show, a contest so relationships don't matter, though he said he wouldn't have done it to Kenny or Evan or Vince.

He says he couldn't read what TJ thought of his decision but the production cast looked shocked, didn't think he'd really do it.

Then one of his rationalization was that Sarah was going to do the same to him.

Among the news, he said Derek recently got divorced and wants to try to come back.

At one point he implies that he's not coming back, that he may take his fan base and go in another direction, like some new show featuring him.  (hah, yeah right!).  Then at another point, he says that while he's much older than some of the other competitors, none of the newer guys have really challenged him physically, that he's had easy wins, didn't get pushed, implying that he could keep winning.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, scrb said:

Yeah Bill was rimming him, comparing him to Michael Jordan.

Bananas was coming up with all kinds of rationalizations, sometimes contradicting himself, saying Sarah was one of the few people he hung out with and then later said it's a TV show, a contest so relationships don't matter, though he said he wouldn't have done it to Kenny or Evan or Vince.

He says he couldn't read what TJ thought of his decision but the production cast looked shocked, didn't think he'd really do it.

Then one of his rationalization was that Sarah was going to do the same to him.

Among the news, he said Derek recently got divorced and wants to try to come back.

At one point he implies that he's not coming back, that he may take his fan base and go in another direction, like some new show featuring him.  (hah, yeah right!).  Then at another point, he says that while he's much older than some of the other competitors, none of the newer guys have really challenged him physically, that he's had easy wins, didn't get pushed, implying that he could keep winning.

Derrick?? I'd tune into that for sure. Derrick was one of my favorites. Sorry to hear he got divorced though.

• Love 3

Problem is, Derrick is a punk. He sucked on The Island and The Ruins. I'm guessing the missus hated going down on her knees all the time. Y'know, to kiss him.

Thanks for the report, scrb. I might listen to that in order to properly identify Simmons as a banana-muncher, but your abridged version would save me the headache.

ETA because it could spill into media: Anybody else think Johnny might pop up on Any Given Wednesday? That might be enough to turn me off Bill Simmons. And I bought both of his books, albeit in paperback. Even got the second one autographed.

On 8/6/2016 at 0:24 PM, Lantern7 said:

Problem is, Derrick is a punk. He sucked on The Island and The Ruins. I'm guessing the missus hated going down on her knees all the time. Y'know, to kiss him.

It took me a minute to work out the burn on that last sentence, but then I cracked up. At first I thought it was an oral sex joke, but then I realized you were calling him a munchkin.

I don't think he sucked on The Island. He was one of the few in the in crowd to stand up for Tonya- directly to "The Family".

By The Ruins, he had totally checked out. I think he was still reasonably kind to Tonya, but he didn't do much to stop the bullying of the women and pretty much told JEK, play your pranks on whoever, just not me.

• Love 1

Listening to the podcast because I want to write a blog entry on Johnny, and I feel like I have to and I hate myself enough to do it. If I were there to hear Bill Simmons open things by comparing Johnny to Bruce Jenner* and his performance in 1976, I would have punched them both. No. No. Bruce wound up breaking all sorts of records back in Montreal. Johnny won up getting his sixth Challenge win against an overmatched field, and he got to bone his partner.

Speaking of Johnny Fortune . . . I checked the S29 speculation article on SBP, and his name is there. Shocker. Also, Jay is listed. What, will Teege be allowed to kick him in the balls at least once per episode? I maintain that he would be a better boyfriend to Jenna than Zach, but he quit. "THOU SHALT NOT THROW IN THE TOWEL" is commandant number one on this show.

* I'm not referring to her as "Caitlyn" for the performance in 1976. If Caitlyn was competing in Montreal, she'd be in the heptathlon.

I'm way too lazy to recap it all but here's some stuff. I definitely think it was worth a listen.  

Wes described how his actual rivalry was with Kenny, based on what happened with Kenny and Johanna on The Island. The trailer for The Island aired before they even returned home so he had little warning. He said Nehemiah told him because he was on that season. Wes said he and John spent a lot of time together on speaking engagements and hung out and had zero problems. After Wes and Kenny didn't like each other he said John started to treat him crappy and turned everyone against him. He thinks John glommed onto the rivalry to get air time, etc. because Wes says he did nothing to John to have John hate him  and talk so much shit. Another thing is that they all (Wes, Susie, Sarah) agree that John asks NOTHING about them personally and knows nothing about their lives and he doesn't care about knowing stuff about anyone. He turns all anecdotes back to his own. They think this is especially sad because they are often very bored and have nothing else to do but talk to each other. Wes talked about how he has had shitty partners for the most part, which I agree with, while John has been stacked in the partner dept, which I definitely agree with!

I can't believe how much I actually have come to like Wes. I think he may overestimate how bored other contestants (like John) are...I think because Wes is intelligent he gets bored but I think plenty of the contestants are fine getting wasted and being superficial. 

Edited by Rebecca
Autocorrect is not correct.
  • Love 10

I don't think John gets bored, because, in his mind, every bit of these challenges is like a tribute to him.  It's all "oh, it's tradition for Bananas to lead us in a toast!" and "Bananas gets first shot at the rooms," and shit like that.  He enjoys manipulating people, and he enjoys watching people get really drunk and make asses of themselves.  And he's not above combining those two hobbies into one, when he helps wind up someone like drunk Camilla so he can sit back and enjoy the show.  

• Love 6

Rebecca, thank you for the recap. I keep checking to see if anyone transcribes these for the hard of hearing, but still no dice. I appreciate those of you who do this, as it helps me enjoy the show more and helps to fuel my hatred of John.

ETA: I agree Wes has had shitty partners for the most part. I think his one good partner was CT. Even when he had Kenny as a partner, Kenny became Mr. DQ, and they ended up in at least 2 jungles.

Edited by Remlab
  • Love 2

Another part of the podcast that I found interesting and ridiculous was the notion that John belittles and casts doubt on everyone else's lives, between Wes and his startup and Sarah and her husband traveling a lot.

I kind of wish someone would point blank explain why John is such a ratings gold mine, as I find him incredibly tiresome to watch.

• Love 4