Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenge in the Media: "The road to [fame] is straight and narrow."

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wow.  I hope he comes out of this OK.  

What horrible coincidences these are.  I'm sure some of the cast is starting to feel like this season is cursed.  

I don;t think they are coincidences...Maybe John and Knight but I mean Diems death was directly related to cancer that she battled for years.

They other two were drug users...

Damn. That is dark as hell but I'll admit it, I had to suppress a laugh.

I laughed too lol, terrible people unite!

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 1

I don;t think they are coincidences...Maybe John and Knight but I mean Diems death was directly related to cancer that she battled for years.

They other two were drug users...

I laughed too lol, terrible people unite!

I meant coincidence in that bad health issues cropped up for three different people who appeared on the same season, not that there weren't legitimate reasons for each health issue. 

I took a look at Bill Simmons' Twitter feed. Last night, he was suggesting ESPN run a ticker for Nia going after Nany. Actual post: "BREAKING: HURRICANE NIA DRANK A MAN'S SWEAT A FEW EPISODES AGO, IS NOW HARSHLY JUDGING OTHER WOMEN. #thechallengeisour5thprofessionalsport" Then he suggested Johnny Bananas should get an ESPY nomination for Best Male Athlete, so it looks like he's still in the tank for that loser.

• Love 1

Heads up . . . there's going to be a "Shit They Should've Shown" episode on Tuesday at 9 p.m. That means three hours of Challenge "goodness" to be had, between that special, the finale and the reunion.

I believe that Jacoby and Simmons were tougher on Backpack in the past.  Then they were sucked into the "he's nicer in person vortex," climaxed with his physical appearance on one of their podcasts.  I believe he even performed one of his "toasts" for them.  Much like a serial killing cult leader, the charm was to much for them, and they are incapable of recognizing that he "shed his skin, and swallowed the rat whole," this season with his victim routine.

(You know who was a victim this season Backpack?  Wes.  [because of the ex-isle twist.]  Whom Sarah would have thrown in with Leroy and whatsherface in a heartbeat.  And Wes wouldn't have complained about it.)

• Love 6

I had a little bit of fun last night on Twitter. For fun, I'm going to see a Van Halen tribute band this weekend; reminded me of the mission from Road Rules Season 1 when they had to be roadies for Van Halen.

This scene from that episode is one of my favorite moments from any of the three RW/RR/Challenge shows, and for fun, I tweeted it at Mark and Kit.

This is what I got back from them. Good times ... everything was just better in the '90s, wasn't it?.

Edited by Bob Sambob
  • Love 1

The  only possible way I would care is if Tony and Shane were cast and even then Barely. I'm not at all interested in watching siblings and strangers.  

They don't even need to do that to cast Tony and Shane.  Jenna was barely in the Explosion house more than a week, and she made the cut this time.

I was going to post this link of the news from StopBeingPolite. They also had a piece on ten single-Challenge competitors, though most of them are known for the wrong reasons. Hard to argue their top pick, though.

That was a fun list, although I don't know who some of them are. That was hilarious when Jo left though- while I totally understand her dismay at finding herself stuck with a bunch of insane drama queens, why had she not watched any previous seasons before signing on to do the show?

(edited)

The Blood v Water concept is terrible. I'd prefer they just recycle old themes until they get to 3-per-format and then maybe try and come up with new ones. I don't even really mind BOTE and Rivals and could stomach a 3rd season of each.

My wishlist? Battle of the Sexes III.

Dream cast? 18 kick-ass women who stand a great chance of winning (Brooklyn Sarah, Nany, Jonna, AYTO Brittany, Cara Maria, Devyn, Laurel, D.C. Emily, Cooke, CC Rachel, Kina, Evelyn, KellyAnne, Jillian, Veronica, Katie, Ruthie, Jodi) plus 18 guys who aren't big enough douchebags that I'd cry if they won (Dustin, CT, LeRoy, Cohutta, FM Brandon, Darrell, Landon, Isaac, Tori-less Brad, Noor, Mark, Abe, Max Velocity Theo, Alton, J.D., Miami Dan, Quest Steve, Chet), with a realistic proportion of recent/producer fav players with a couple pipedream comebacks from older players (without veering too much into the impossible, i.e. Coral... but that would be amazing).

Instead it will likely be 16 completely rancid former players with siblings and partners equally as godawful. But I can dream.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 2

So are they actually in production now in South America or was it some preproduction thing?

It is near spring/summer down there so maybe they are filming.

Would people be willing to give up their Holidays to go down for the Challenge?

Edited by scrb

I think most of the contestants would miss their mother's funeral to do another season.

Yep. I mean, we have a contestant this season who delayed her wedding when given a chance to be on a season. I still can't wrap my mind around that, especially when she seems like one of the relatively normal ones of the bunch. 

The Grantland pod asters now do podcasts called Channel 33. Julia Litman and Bill Simmons did one about the Bachelor so they'll probably talk about the Challenge again.

Susie Meister did a long interview on the Alison Rosen is Your New Best Friend podcast.

Susie and Sarah have been doing a podcast called BrAin Candy.

Says she still gets offered to come on the challenges but she's moved on and thinks other people would have by now. Notes Bananas is in mid 30s and while doing the Challenges and club appearances has worked out for him financially, is that all he has to look back on?

She mentions earning a PhD a couple of times.

Another problem with doing the Challenges is that she is not allowed to communicate with her family for up to 6 weeks which is a hardship. Plus now reality shows tend to attract confrontational people more and more.

Hinted that Survivor may be a better deal because the prize is a million.

• Love 2

Susie, don't make me defend Bananas. Please. If the guy is pulling $100,000-$200,000 a year between his show earnings, winnings, and promotional appearances, he can set up a long term financial plan that includes savings for schooling if he ever decides to go that route. Also, Bananas is 33. A number of non reality contestants are 33 and haven't married or had kids or have found a career they enjoy. There's still plenty of time.

Congrats on your PhD. Too bad you're such a shitty person. I think it's totally fine to say, while it's a lot of money to earn in a relatively short time, for me it's not worth it being away from my family and have to put up with the antics of the other people on the show. And if she wants to call out Bananas specifically for being one of the ones to make it the most unpleasant for others, more power to her. But for her to act like she's so above that now and to express derision for the people who haven't "moved on"- well, what a bitch.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 2

I recently finished rewatching Inferno III, and sheesh is Susie an unpleasant little hypocrite, gliding her way through the season with snide little slut-shaming and fat-shaming comments, all while wearing this manufactured wide-eyed expression that someone must have told her looked sweet. She's done interviews and features over the years, and every time I read her or hear her I think, "Hey...uhh...Sister Christian? You're doing it wrong."

Sorry. That was all pretty un-Christian of me. I guess I'm doing it wrong, too.

ETA:  Whoops! Sorry Stinger97...I see I've derailed the media thread into a hate-on for Susie.  I'll take future thoughts on the topic (if I have any) to a more appropriate place next time. 

Edited by whirlingdervish
  • Love 2