Type keyword(s) to search

The Challenge in the Media: "The road to [fame] is straight and narrow."

• Start Topic

I recently finished rewatching Inferno III, and sheesh is Susie an unpleasant little hypocrite, gliding her way through the season with snide little slut-shaming and fat-shaming comments, all while wearing this manufactured wide-eyed expression that someone must have told her looked sweet. She's done interviews and features over the years, and every time I read her or hear her I think, "Hey...uhh...Sister Christian? You're doing it wrong."

Sorry. That was all pretty un-Christian of me. I guess I'm doing it wrong, too.

Susie's always been in my top 5 people I dislike so much they're not even fun to watch to hate them.  That puts her in the same ranks as Kenny and Evan.  Maybe it's no coincidence that Tonya is a common link between the 3 of them, since they all went out of their way to torment her, but I see that as more of an example of what horrible human beings they are.  In the current generation of shows, being an ass to people is considered the norm, but she was far ahead of the curve.  There have been others that irritate me, but I can at least empathize with their very obvious issues, like Robin or Paula or Beth.  Susie's just a spoiled brat.

Edited by Nena
  • Love 5

I recently finished rewatching Inferno III, and sheesh is Susie an unpleasant little hypocrite, gliding her way through the season with snide little slut-shaming and fat-shaming comments, all while wearing this manufactured wide-eyed expression that someone must have told her looked sweet. She's done interviews and features over the years, and every time I read her or hear her I think, "Hey...uhh...Sister Christian? You're doing it wrong."

Sorry. That was all pretty un-Christian of me. I guess I'm doing it wrong, too.

She was a total snake that challenge. She picked the weakest link of the girls on her team and convinced the other girls that Susie was too valuable to the team to risk losing and so they should throw challenges to allow Susie to be the winner for the girls. Paula and Colie were all too happy to go along with it until it was their turns to be sacrificed for the "good" of the team (i.e. Include Susie). That was shitty of her but Paula and Colie only cared when it was them thrown in. Anyways, she does it 3 times in a row and Johnny is cursing her out for throwing in Paula instead of Cara right before the final. And then- after Cara has helped her throughout the challenge and Susie has guaranteed herself a spot on the final-THEN Susie pressures Cara to throw herself in so Susie can stop getting harassed by Johnny but not deal with the guilt of going back on her word.

She is a selfish, catty bitch with no integrity and if she ever comes on one of these again, I hope Abe is there too and throws her in the pool and gives her clothes another tidy bowl laundering.

• Love 3

Susie was such a disappointment. I remember really liking her and thinking she seemed sweet and fun during her RR season, thought she got a bad rap from Kina (also a serious asshole) during Gauntlet II, and was happy to see her back on Gauntlet III. And then, man, what a turn for assholishness she took that season. Such a snake and so full of herself.

Let's try to keep on topic, folks. I let the conversation go a little bit because Susie has been in the media, but it's started to turn into more of a discussion about Susie's portrayal through the series. If you'd like to discuss Susie, create a thread for her or you can take it to the previous seasons discussion. Thanks!

• Love 1

Weird because I just watched The Inferno. It always seemed like there was a certain sadness in Dave Mirra, I don't know how to explain it. It's not hindsight because I thought that before knowing he committed suicide. Rip, Dave. I feel so badly for his wife and kids. Gunshot woundS? Ugh.

Another article, talking about how his career could have contributed: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/actionsports/2016/02/05/dave-mirra-depression-suicide-cte/79869822/

Edited by Rebecca

I really do miss the Right Reasons podcast for all things Challenge--even if they were in the bag for Bananas.  I gave the No Quitters podcast a listen, but...for my druthers it's way too much of a chauvanistic, homophobic bro-down. Sigh. It's almost enough to make me want to podcast the damn thing myself. 

• Love 1

Bill Simmons wife is just a guest on Julia from the Right Reasons podcast Bachelor Pad she isnt on every week. I am sort of waiting for ESPN to sever their last ties with Grantland only talent (ie not Jalen Rose) so Bill and his podcast network which is laying the groundwork for his HBO stuff can hire Jacoby, I miss Julia and Jacoby together.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I got bored and poked around the cable schedule. If any of you are interested in old-school Challengers, Theo is going to appear on @Midnight on Thursday.

Oh.my.gosh! Thank you! I saw him do a set at the comedy store a few months ago and just now made the connection. He was hands down the funniest comic of the night and it's taken me three months to place him!

Just caught @Midnight. Theo wasn't hitting the buzzer fast enough, and he was eliminated before the final round. Then he took a gratuitous potshot at Derrick's height. Just kidding. Turns out Theo has a comedy special that's available on Netflix tomorrow. Oh, and he's got a goatee now.

The Challenge got mentioned at the beginning of American Dad tonight, albeit as "Real World/Road Rules Challenge." On the plus side, it was Patrick Stewart bringing it up. Y'all think Picard is a fan of Johnny? I would hope not.

I just caught a rerun of the American Dad episode and came to post about it. On the show he asked to be injected with a steroid and said it was the 'steroid endorsed by the RW/RR Challenge'...random but nothing is too random for that show.

In my mind everyone hates "Johnny" and wants him to lose, so I feel like Picard feels the same. I know "Johnny" has his, inexplicable to me, fans but I never expect to hear that someone is one.

I wonder how it is this show got a mention on AD in the first place? In my mind there's like 11 of us watching The Challenge still. I've been watching since 1998...going on 20 years. Obviously I will watch to the bitter end, but I didn't think it'd ever be mentioned on a show like that.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2

Ratings can't be too bad or they wouldn't bother continuing to pay for the production.

Though production is relatively cheap since they don't pay the contestants anything other than a nominal appearance fee.  Prize fee of $350k is less than the budget of a single episode of many shows.

If MTV has a big hit, like they did with the Osbornes show, then they have to pay out.  Or if a show featuring unknowns becomes an unexpected hit, like The Jersey Shore, I'm sure they have to pay in the second and following seasons.  

But for these guys, isn't it something like a couple thousands for every episode they're in?  So the people who get eliminated early don't earn much at all, just have their flights and lodging paid for.  But do they pay for their food and especially their drinks?  Maybe only when they film their outings at a club but not otherwise?

Plus if it were me, I'd want to go do other things in places like Turkey, instead of stay at the house for the drama, so you could incur expenses that you have to pay out of pocket, unless they paid a per diem or something.

Edited by scrb

Looks like I'm going to have to listen to a podcast. Susie Meister and Sarah Rice had Sarah Greyson on their show. First thing that went through my mind when I saw the blurb on my blog where I link to SPS: "Is this a trap?"

ETA: Just my luck . . . the link on the podcast's site takes me to the previous episode.

ETA2: Found it here. Only disappointment was that the Sarahs didn't find my blog post that profiled them. And I wound up finding Sarah's website and Twitter. Not as informative as her old site (sarahsfiasco.com), but I'm happy to have unearthed it.

Hmm will they have any of the current RW LV crew?

Maybe too early for any of them to have established rivalries.  Jenna and CJ after their little southern pride convo?

Rivals 3 Trailer

Season premiere is Wednesday, May 4th at 10pm/9c

The "new generation of the challenge"?  Self-important much/  Most of the new generation have been absolutely boring and painful to watch.  Not looking forward to seeing new people trying to do the most to make their mark.  However, I am looking forward to whoever TJ is kicking off the show with such glee (or as much glee as TJ can muster in his monotone way). 

• Love 3

"Hope to see you never" I think Teej said. Not excited about these

contestants at all. Although will be nice to see Leroy, Sarah and

please don't throw shit at my head Wes. Seems like TJ is going

to be the best part of this season.

Saw a commercial for Rivals III spotlighting the Johnny/Sarah rivalry. Johnny is dubbed "Banana Man" and is still butthurt by what went down in BOTE2. Sarah is cast as "The Hustler." Looks like MTV is on Johnny's side. I wish there was somebody I could yell at, because I don't believe Sarah is supposed to be the bad guy.

• Love 7

I have to share somewhere . . . Bill Simmons is starting a new show on HBO, Any Given Wednesday, at 10 p.m. beginning June 22. That's at the same time as The Challenge. I wonder how many HBO execs had to dogpile on him in order to have his show air opposite the program he regards as America's fifth national sport.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I have to share somewhere . . . Bill Simmons is starting a new show on HBO, Any Given Wednesday, at 10 p.m. beginning June 22. That's at the same time as The Challenge. I wonder how many HBO execs had to dogpile on him in order to have his show air opposite the program he regards as America's fifth national sport.

He's actually talked (joked) about this on his podcast.

Johnny's full of shit.  Viacom's own 2 idiotic statements (1. that it happened in another country so California courts had no jurisdiction and 2. Tonya brought it on herself by her drunken behavior) help to validate Tonya's claims, and if they had footage proving otherwise, they would have let her take it to court. 

• Love 4

The fact Viacoms actual defense was:

“Plaintiff was frequently intoxicated, rowdy, combative, flirtatious, and on multiple occasions intentionally exposed her bare breasts and genitalia to the other contestants.”

Tells me all I need to know. The old "she asked for it" defense....

Who cares if she was flirtatious and exposed herself (hmm, don't we have a NUDE challenge tonight?).

If someone accuses me of sexual assault I am fighting that charge tooth and nail...yet haven't heard a peep from Kenny and Evan.

• Love 6

Interesting. Is it common knowledge that Susie and Sarah are both rape victims? If not, I hope they gave John permission to share that. 

The whole situation is so weird. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories though about what the real accusation was. Originally I heard that Tonya's accusation was that the cameras recorded her assault, the editing team watched it, and no one did anything to stop it or tell her about it. If that is true, and her accusation was false, couldn't they just show her the footage? As a kindness to her, wouldn't they WANT to reassure her this hasn't happened? Perhaps though that was not her actual accusation and it was reported wrong.  

Now john does have a point that a number of viewers have decided they believe Evan and Kenny are guilty without any proof, but um, who's fault is that Bananas? If someone accused Cohutta of raping Tonya with a toothbrush, that would be met with a lot of skeptisism. Yet these two bullied Tonya nonstop and it's their own fault if people automatically believe the accusations against them. 

• Love 2