Type keyword(s) to search

American Woman - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Is this show building to anything?  I find Diana interesting, but there is no real storyline.  I guess she is finding herself through sex? 

And seriously Bonnie, stop taking your bratty daughter's crap.  It's entirely possible that she can be upset over the divorce without being a bitch about it. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I have no clue where this show is actually going. I guess Bobbie being more independent? Because thats not really what I've been getting. 

I still wish Diana was the main character, her story is by far the most interesting.

• Love 1

What's with all the commercials?  I usually record and watch later. Towards the end of the show there is an announcement that "American Woman" will be back in 60 seconds, then "Lip Sync Battle" is starting. There's no ending to each episode. 

I don't understand where this is going. Did Bonnie ever make up with her black co-worker? The pool party ended badly/awkwardly, so there should be some closure. Did Bonnie apologize? Are the two women still friends? How are they getting along at work?

If Kathleen is a rich Texan, what is she doing in L.A. trying to scrape by with creating a casting agency? Why isn't she living off her millions in a true Beverly Hills lifestyle?

Is Diana acting out through all of the sexual hookups for a reason? Is she angry and frustrated with her mother and the situation at work? Or ... is it just a commentary on women's sexual freedom in that decade?

Aren't the daughters supposed to represent Kim and Kyle? Why isn't the oldest one out working at an acting job every day like young Kim did? I thought that was going to be a major SL when she got that one TV commercial gig.  Kyle also worked but not as much as Kim did and in lesser profile projects.

Overall, this is sloppy, disjointed and poorly written/acted. I watch it only for snark value and I enjoy the setting, costuming and props. I wish such attention to detail had been giving to you know, the actual content!

I assume this is heading towards the end of the run. I can't imagine any network picking it up for additional seasons, so they need to start wrapping up the lose ends pronto!

• Love 6

I don't understand where this is going. Did Bonnie ever make up with her black co-worker? The pool party ended badly/awkwardly, so there should be some closure. Did Bonnie apologize? Are the two women still friends? How are they getting along at work?

Hey, remember that episode like two weeks ago where Bonnie couldn't pay her mortgage and her friends suggested she masturbate more to solve the problem?  Did that work out?  I only half kid because Bonnie's financial problems seem to come and go depending on whether the writers remember them week to week. 

As to Diana, I presume her having sex whenever and wherever is her trying to defy her boss and mother.  I think she's the most interesting character, but for whatever reason they keep the focus on Bonnie. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Hey, remember that episode like two weeks ago where Bonnie couldn't pay her mortgage and her friends suggested she masturbate more to solve the problem?  Did that work out?  

There is a way too long in the tool "shock rock" DJ in my radio market. He coined a term called procrasturbation. As in, "I didn't want to do my taxes, so I procrasturbated." (Yeah. This guy's a real poor man's Howard Stern.) Sounds like what Bonnie's been doing regarding her financial situation. Still, she had enough money to hire a magician for Kim's, Rebecca's birthday party. (Isn't that the oldest kid's name?) 

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 2:27 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Brian Moylan likes this show?

He also said that Kathleen and Bonnie are sisters, which I totally missed. 

I thought they were, too, until the discussion in last week's (?) episode of how the three ladies met.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jillybean said:

On 7/30/2018 at 11:27 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Brian Moylan likes this show?

He also said that Kathleen and Bonnie are sisters, which I totally missed. 

I thought they were, too, until the discussion in last week's (?) episode of how the three ladies met.

Count me in as thinking they were just friends and not sisters. I’m so confused. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AntAnn said:

Count me in as thinking they were just friends and not sisters. I’m so confused. 

They are just friends, but I had thought they were sisters. I think something said in the pilot gave me that impression. 

• Love 3
On 7/13/2018 at 8:47 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I'm catching up with these eps, so apologies if this is way behind, but was that a contemporary song when Bonnie kissed the painter for the first time? I know a lot of '70s songs and that wasn't anything I had ever heard (nor '70s style). Took me right out of the scene. Bizarre choice.

Tunefind.com is a fantastic website where people upload the song titles for each episode.  Highly recommend it.  You can also ask questions if they haven't been answered yet.

• Love 1

Also I watch the show without commercials and the runtime is 22 minutes, like I said, standard for sitcom episodes, though this is not a sitcom.  It does make me laugh that everyone feels like the show is 5 or 10 minutes long - I'm glad I do not watch it with the commercial breaks.

• Love 1

Also I watch the show without commercials and the runtime is 22 minutes, like I said, standard for sitcom episodes, though this is not a sitcom.  It does make me laugh that everyone feels like the show is 5 or 10 minutes long - I'm glad I do not watch it with the commercial breaks.

My main issue with the show is it really has little direction, and appears to be building towards nothing.  Bonnie seems like a flake.  She complains about serious money issues, but does little about it, and is comfortable blowing off a work assignment to get high.  I honestly have no clue why they built the show around this character.          

• Love 6
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

I wish they would completely retool the show and make it about Diana.

I am more interested in Diana's story and that burgeoning friendship with Alan.  I'm actually getting a little more interested in Kathleen, although I'd rather she keep trying to run the casting agency on her own.

• Love 6

I wish they would completely retool the show and make it about Diana.

Seriously.  At least her story has momentum.  Bonnie apparently still doesn't understand how money works.  I mean, look at the situation. Even presuming Bonnie hadn't destroyed that wedding dress and gotten fired.  Her outstanding bills are in the thousands of dollars (the tax bill that was a final notice was nearly $950.00), not counting what must be her other bills for monthly expenses, including the mortgage, electricity, gas, etc.  How did she plan on paying those bills, maintaining her home and covering her kids' expenses, on her income (was her ex supposed to save the day given his unstable income)?  I think the premise of this show is interesting, the set design is beautiful, but I do think the plot itself needs to be more tied into reality.        

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5

do you know, I had serious Hills flashback (Bonnie having to run the dress across town/LC having to fly across the country to drop off a dress) and then Bonnie jumping on the motorcycle to a picnic reminded me of LC in her borrowed dress in Paris jumping on a motorcycle to go to the Eiffel Tower.

also I wish it was the 70s b/c long hair on guys is cute and I wouldn't have had to quit smoking b/c I wouldn't have known how unhealthy it is.

• Love 1

I love the cast, I love the era, I love the seventies set design but it feels like something is missing. They put all these great ingredients together but the cake didn't rise. Some of the plots show promise then nothing happens or builds to anything. I think that is why the show feels so short to some. A lot of build up to nothing then the episode is over. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I love the cast, I love the era, I love the seventies set design but it feels like something is missing. They put all these great ingredients together but the cake didn't rise. Some of the plots show promise then nothing happens or builds to anything. I think that is why the show feels so short to some. A lot of build up to nothing then the episode is over. 

so true. whoever is writing these things most be a novice. is this the end or is it coming back? what did everyone think of what's her name at the end saying how it was based on her mom? maybe she should have made it more reality based. i loved loved loved some of the clothes. especially the ones worn by kathleen.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

so true. whoever is writing these things most be a novice. is this the end or is it coming back? what did everyone think of what's her name at the end saying how it was based on her mom? maybe she should have made it more reality based. i loved loved loved some of the clothes. especially the ones worn by kathleen.

I loved her wardrobe! 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, CharlizeCat said:

I didn't catch what Diana's doctor told her. Anybody? Thanks!

I don't pay much attention to this show but I think Diana is pregnant.  Which is exactly what this show doesn't need...to hamstring it's best character with a pregnancy story next season (if there is one).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Nessie said:

I don't pay much attention to this show but I think Diana is pregnant.  Which is exactly what this show doesn't need...to hamstring it's best character with a pregnancy story next season (if there is one).

When I heard "how far along am I?" I cringed. I understand why they might go there given the era, the newness of a woman's right to choose but I think that's not only too heavy too early but in many ways it's kind of a cheap dramatic plot line. So many other directions they could explore and that's where they go? Ugh 

I too see Diana as the strongest and most interesting character. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

So many other directions they could explore and that's where they go?

I wonder if they're going there because IIRC, there was no 6-wk maternity leave in the 70s. That could certainly jeopardize her new promotion...one she worked on getting for so long.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, MsTree said:

I wonder if they're going there because IIRC, there was no 6-wk maternity leave in the 70s. That could certainly jeopardize her new promotion...one she worked on getting for so long.

That is a great possibility! 

• Love 1
On 8/31/2018 at 1:59 PM, Judi Sunshine said:

In the minority here, but I LOVED this show. I binged it last weekend and fell in utter love. I was little in the '70s and a child actress, so it brought back a lot of memories with the feel of it. 

I liked this show, too!  It got me through the summer, like reading a beach book.  Light and fun, what I like to refer to as “no brain” TV.  I don’t think it was ever meant to be an Emmy nominated series, but I tuned in because of Kyle and Alicia.  I had no expectations, but was entertained.  I’ll be back for more.

• Love 1

I can't say I'm shocked at the cancellation.  The show's quality isn't great and despite some promise, it felt like things never really jelled.  I didn't realize the show had sat on the shelf for nearly two years before airing. 

• Love 3
On 8/24/2018 at 3:31 PM, msrachelj said:

So true. whoever is writing these things most be a novice.

Nope. A vet. The head writer/showrunner has written for and produced The Larry Sanders Show, The Bernie Mac Show, Will & Grace, 30 Rock, and The Comeback.

Anyway, it's been cancelled.

I don’t think this show left a great impression about Kyle’s and Kim’s father (Kathy was the child of a previous Big Kathy marriage), who IRL was a serial cheater, having married and had kids with at least two women he cheated on. IIRC Big Kathy was his mistress before they married. In other words, Kyle “loosely based” this show on some awful people who happened to be her parents. I didn’t think it would be palatable and it wasn’t. (Side note: Kyle posted a smarmy Father’s Day tribute to her dad on IG and blocked me for commenting that IMO good fathers don’t cheat on the mothers of their children. I think she’s too confused about her childhood to really make the concept work for this show.)