Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Trompe L'Oeil

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 9:51 PM, jeansheridan said:

The actress playing Clementine is still my favorite at "turning off".  She's just so good at looking like an empty doll.  Maybe it's her big eyes.  

Yes! I completely agree. Her face just goes so blank but still alive. After I saw this episode I tweeted that this cast is doing the Mannequin challenge every week lol. Reminds me of that 80s show "Out of This World" where the main character had the power to freeze time so the cast had to do something similar on that show.

• Love 1

Late to the party.

I can think of at least one hint to Bernard being a host. When Teresa asked him about if he wanted to forget his child he said that the pain of losing him was all he had left of him. In a later episode Dolores says the same thing. At the time I thought she had gotten it from her talks with Bernard.But now I see that Ford likely wrote that for both of them. 

Edited by Holmbo
Removed vague spoiler

As soon as Bernard asked, "What door?" I yelled, "Nooooooooooo!!"

On 11/13/2016 at 9:52 PM, stanleyk said:

She's much too young for the role, I think. I laughed out loud last week when she was introduced as the head of the board. Seriously? At, what, thirty? Though her tender years would explain her profound lack of professionalism, I guess. I've never been very impressed with Tessa Thompson as an actor (though I liked her ok in Creed) - usually she comes off as a smart aleck without the smarts.  It was silly to me that Theresa was supposed to be intimidated by her, because the actor playing Theresa has a billion times more menacing presence just sitting silently than Tessa Thompson could manage no matter how much overwrought tough talk she was given. It was the only scene that really took me out of the show.

I've only seen Tessa Thompson in a few things (Veronica Mars and Copper) and she has struck me as a pretty girl who can't act every time. Maybe I'm wrong and she keeps getting cast as sucky characters and her acting choices are the fault of sucky directors but at this point, it's hard for me to give her the benefit of the doubt.

On 11/13/2016 at 10:18 PM, Lingo said:

Well in previous episodes they've mentioned "rotations", as if the employees come to work for just a limited time and then leave. But, does this imply that they never come back?? Sounds fantastically expensive to me.

I assumed the rotations were like when firemen who are on duty live at the firehouse. For the park employees, I just assumed that it's a combination of factors, the first being that the park was in the middle of nowhere which would make daily commuting extremely inefficient. I also figured that although there is nightly maintenance, the employees would also be need to be available for things that come up. That could range from the mundane, like repairing hosts throughout the day as they are killed at the park or otherwise physically damaged, to emergency situations.

On 11/13/2016 at 10:50 PM, Armchair Critic said:

I wouldn't mind fooling around with Rodrigo Santoro either, but answering the door naked and leaving him tied up is a bit tacky.

I felt bad that the actor had to stay still in the background during that whole scene. I know if that had been me, my nose would have started itching as soon as they started filming.

• Love 2

I've only seen through episode 7, so please no spoilers, but ...

Is it just me, or is "the maze" ridiculously simple? You go in, take the first left, and you're there. And even if you miss that turn, the passage dead-ends shortly thereafter. In fact, everything outside of that one corridor is completely inaccessible from the outside. I paused at at least 3 different drawings of the map in episode 7 (1, in the previews when Dolores shows it to herself, 2, also in the previews, on the coffin on the train, and 3, when Ford looks at it in his sketchbook). The simplicity of the maze, as drawn, doesn't seem to jive with the story (not sure who told it, or which episode) of how the man built the maze around his house so complex that no one but him could find their way to the center.