Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Chapter 9

• Start Topic

Well you guys are better people than me. I couldn't make hide nor hair what was going on between the darkness and jumpy camera work. I found it quite annoying. But thanks to all who fleshed the story out for me.  Looking forward to next week though to see how they tie up the story. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

So did the one Polk survive?

It looked like he got away in the truck. Think he'll seek out revenge on Lee?

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

...I don't know where the hell the overhead camera was supposed to be...

Obviously Sydney set up a fleet of autonomous camera drones, flying around for three days on incredibly long-lasting batteries like the ones in the mobile phones and field cameras, and streaming high-definition footage using the amazing wifi or data signal that exists throughout the remote woods of North Carolina.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So I guess Lee was possessed? But was she possessed when she killed Mason? If not, she`s still a pretty horrible person. I mean, burning your kids father alive, when the worst thing he ever did was try to take custody after Lee drank around Flora, then kidnapped her? Thats cold, Lee.  

Very good point! Alcoholic or no, who could possibly do that (she might have killed him first and set it up later to look like he was burned alive, but still) when he was only looking out after his daughter, and wouldn't anyone freak out about their kid being taken to a house where seriously bad shit is obviously going down. She obviously went way over the edge without anybody realizing it. I was totally convinced myself that she was innocent of the crime, especially as FauxShelby seemed to have accused her just out of fear and paranoia. I was so shocked at last week's ep where she admitted to the crime that I didn't even make any posts, ha ha.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I haven't watched yet (I don't care about spoliers)- so Taissa Farmiga is playing a new character and not a repeat? 

Yep, she plays one of 3 blogger-types that go visit the house and woods with Go-Pros strapped to their heads.

• Love 2

About this season, I'll say that overall it's a really good one. Many shockers, twists, and horrible deaths etc. as you would expect from AHS. However, I will say that the first few "re-enactment" episodes went a little too slowly and the last few seemed a little rushed - also, I cannot abide that shaky-cam found footage crap. I've never been able to watch that kind of thing, it gives me an instant headache. And it's always so FUCKING DARK. I can't see what the hell is happening, I had to read the recap until I saw how Dylan and Monet died. Rewinding on your tv is no help. (Thanks to our recapper for somehow brightening things up enough so we know what the fuck is happening.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Timetoread said:

- Badass Audrey "Say that again." Shoots to kill.

It took me until that part on a rewatch to figure out why she told the Polk to repeat what he said. She was getting his threat on camera before killing him, to prove it was self-defense.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, rubinia said:

Yep, she plays one of 3 blogger-types that go visit the house and woods with Go-Pros strapped to their heads.

Thanks. I was wondering why Gaga Witch would allow another witch to be killed, and a California ghost couldn't exactly run to the NC woods. 

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know about the "no b/s" part. The last four episodes have sort of worked for me, but the first five still seem like a big fat waste of time. I think they could have devoted just one episode - maybe two - to establishing the docu-drama part then jumped right into the reality show part. Because I have a hard time believing "My Roanoke Nightmare" was this big, successful TV show with fans obsessing over it. We saw too much of it, and an audience would have had the same reaction we did: "Uh, no - just leave the house, dummies." 

I think they could have gotten more mileage out of the reality show part and made if feel less rushed. And if they had showed less of the docu-drama part it would be easier to believe it was some smash success on TV.

So was "the witch creature" also responsible for The Butcher being The Butcher? I don't think the show did a very good job of explaining the connection between the original Roanoke Colony and the character Lady Gaga was supposed to be.

Yeah, that's not a coincidence. Almost everything this season was kind of a rip-off of well known horror films.

I'd still rank this season above Coven and Freak Show but it's not something I'd go back and watch a second time, like Murder House or Asylum.

Thank you about the early episodes being a silly waste of time that dragged on longer than they should have. I thought the first half of the season sucked and mainly enjoyed the two episodes where everything changes up and they bring the cast back to the house. 

A big loud YES, about it being almost impossible to believe that this stupid show was some successful, ratings breaking mega hit. Maybe, maybe if this season had taken place in the late nineties or something like that I could buy it but even then, I remember most people being deeply unimpressed with the Blair Witch Project, and the reactions basically ranged from complaints about feelings of motion sickness and boredom (it wasn't scary in the slightest to a lot of people), to annoyance over the tiny handful of people who didn't initially realize it was a movie and felt suckered after the fact like they'd been had. 

Every time I see those hanging stick figures and watch one of these characters freak out like they can't deal, it just makes me laugh and roll my eyes. The reactions to the hanging stick figures have been more OTT than the reactions to murderous ghosts and freaking cannibals. 

Regarding the bit in bold--I completely agree. If they'd made the TV show something that we were given a glimpse of and left to fill in the blanks on certain things to make it scarier--I feel like that would have been a lot more effective. I also agree that the docu-series part has been the strongest part in the season because there are genuine stakes here once viewers are brought into the real time of the story. 

IMO an episode or two of the fake Roanoke Nightmare should have been more than enough to establish whatever Croatoan type rules they wanted to put out there. I feel like the interview segments were essentially voiceovers to facilitate the plot and to me, that suggests a weakness in the writing and an inability to (effectively) give viewers the story. Not only that but there were multiple times where the interview segments felt unnatural in terms of me having a hard time believing that they'd even bother to mention certain things particularly with the Shelby character. 

Maybe this season was better than Freak Show but I feel like these seasons are pretty much neck and neck as far as ranking at the bottom. I thought that Coven had the best humor hands down ("LIES!!!"; "What fresh hell is this?") and that's while I'll never understand why so many people think it's the worst of the AHS seasons. I see its flaws, sure, but I was certainly never bored with Coven the way I have been with this ridiculous Roanoke shitshow save two or three episodes. 

As far as the characters and opportunities for actors, I think the weaknesses in Roanoke are evident when I consider something like Angela Bassett's character Monet. Monet is a character who seems like she's worth rooting for and even has a few good lines, but we don't really get to know her that well for her death to have the impact that it should have. OTOH I thought her character in Coven was incredibly compelling and wanted to know her backstory. Does any of Monet's backstory matter? This is the first time since Angela Bassett has been on the show that I haven't cared about getting her character's backstory and it's because she isn't playing a character where the audience needs to know more. 

• Love 6

I liked it well enough, as the penultimate episode, except:

Dylan shows up, they convince him the bodies are real, everyone's dead but them and he's says: "Okay, we load Lee on a stretcher and hustle out of here while we still have daylight.  In about two hours, we'll be back in town."  EXCELLENT IDEA, DYLAN.  Excellent, obvious, idea.

I thought the next twenty minutes, with the three of them sneaking back to the Polk house, then splitting up, with the "you go here and I'll go here and you start the truck and then we'll have three minutes" was entirely too lame and stupid.  It seems like very lazy writing to simply gloss over the characters doing what no one would ever do, in order to keep the characters in position for the story. 

Yes, we know Lee wanted to retrieve her murder confession footage, but it's just so improbable the newly-arrived Navy Seal dude is ever going to buy into that foolish plan of action.  They gave him some "never leave a man behind" motivation, but as soon as they hiked through the woods and saw the Polk house, it was perfectly fine to leave a man behind and alert the cops to come out and retrieve that man.  The Polk house did it for him when all the hacked up bodies didn't phase him? 

(And then, of course, "Back to the house, anyone still drawing breath!")

I guess it's not a big deal, but I like sitting here saying "This is so scary!" more than I like sitting here saying "This is so stupid."

• Love 8
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think they could have gotten more mileage out of the reality show part and made if feel less rushed. And if they had showed less of the docu-drama part it would be easier to believe it was some smash success on TV.

You really hit the nail on the head with that one.  For me, full stop, those first 5 episodes are the worst work AHS has ever done.  The format just failed.  Such a dreary, unenjoyable, boring, suspense-free slog.  I was really forcing myself through, struggling to pay attention, in the hopes I would like the twist.  And I did!  The last 4 episodes have been flawed but much improved.  But not so improved that they were able to dig out of the hole they were in.  I'm surprised to see how many people love this season, in my rankings I suspect it will land as 2nd-worst (after Hotel).

• Love 3

So, so dark.  So dark.  

George Romero called, he wants his plot twist back.

Also, the young woman playing the groupie couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.  Sigh.  

I'm sure I'll have more constructive comments later -- but for now that's all I've got.

• Love 4

I guess I'm the only one who hates this season unless I missed something. The acting is terrible which is weird to me because we're dealing with some pretty good actors in general. I felt like I was watching the Disney channel when the kids were exploring the woods, the acting was so bad. So the question remains, is the bad acting purposeful? The only good performance is by Angela Bassett and I think that's only because it's probably impossible for her to do anything less than stellar, even when trying.

The storyline is so stupid. The poor decisions by the characters make me feel like I'm watching a B movie. It is so over the top campy that I can't see how it isn't somehow supposed to be that way but I don't understand why they would do that.

This episode was the worst with unrealistic reactions by the characters. I don't think anybody would be as calm as that guy was when he found his fellow actors, presumably friends, brutally murdered. 

Furthermore, I think it's sort of boring. I only continue to watch because I love the series. I've been glued to every episode since the first season but this one is such a disappointment. Am I really the only one who thinks this season is horrible?

• Love 9

Nowhere, I didn't really notice the bad acting until that young woman showed up on my screen as I watched this episode.  Wow.  Stinkeroo.  Because of the layers of "show/reality/show", it's hard to describe but -- we have an RL show of real people (Murphy, Paulson, Cuba Gooding, Jr., etc.) giving us a bifurcated show of characters who, in the narrative, are "real people" and a re-enactment done by actors.  By the second half of the series, they are all "real people".  The re-enactors have dropped their roles.  

When I first saw the three in the woods, that young woman (the real life actress a la Paulson, CGJ, etc.) was so stilted and awful, I actually got confused and thought we were back in the "re-enactment" portion in some convoluted way and that the character was doing another re-enactment.

So bad.

ETA:  I don't dislike this season.  As a matter of fact, I've enjoyed it.  (I don't like the obvious cliches -- the Blair Witch sticks, the "Night of the Living Dead" plot twist) but I have enjoyed the basic storyline.  I think it's very clever and timely.  Overall I've enjoyed the performances.  I find CGJ to be highly overrated, though.  Paulson has been a real pleasant surprise in general, and specifically I like that self-centered Audrey was actually the bravest hero of all of them -- which is why I could see the twist coming a mile away.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, CourtneyCourt said:

She was kidnapped by the Colonists specifically by Priscilla. Escaped when Cricket was disembowled and went home to live with grandparents (I think).

Sounds like Flora has been set up to be the last survivor, with Lee either getting killed or turning out to not really be Lee next week. I doubt they'd end a season killing off a kid, although it could turn out that the Flora who escaped wasn't really Flora. 

11 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

So the question remains, is the bad acting purposeful? The only good performance is by Angela Bassett and I think that's only because it's probably impossible for her to do anything less than stellar, even when trying.

This season reminds me of a Big Bang Theory episode where Penny is doing a B movie and asks if they can do a retake, only to have the director say something like "the script is garbage; nobody cares".

BTW, with all of the real-life incidents of police shooting unarmed people, stretching back before this season was written, IMO it was in poor taste to have the cops in this episode gun down someone for no apparent reason.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Sounds like Flora has been set up to be the last survivor, with Lee either getting killed or turning out to not really be Lee next week. I doubt they'd end a season killing off a kid, although it could turn out that the Flora who escaped wasn't really Flora. 

This season reminds me of a Big Bang Theory episode where Penny is doing a B movie and asks if they can do a retake, only to have the director say something like "the script is garbage; nobody cares".

BTW, with all of the real-life incidents of police shooting unarmed people, stretching back before this season was written, IMO it was in poor taste to have the cops in this episode gun down someone for no apparent reason.

But she had a gun in her hand and was a going to shoot someone sitting in a police car.  They had just cause.  I don't want to debate real life police actions but in this case I think it was more in showing with another horror movie Night Of The Living Dead which ironically is I believe the first horror movie to star a black man and after he survives untold horrors gets killed at the end;  I believe by the police who believe he in one of the undead.  

Anyway I liked the ending because the self centered Audrey turns out to be the hero and gets gunned downed while still in an adrenaline state of high emotion and attempting to go after the person she thinks is the villian.

Whether that is true or not we will find out next week.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Audrey became a legitimate hero to me when she yelled down Mama in that confrontation with Audrey tied to a chair and Mama trying to defend herself.  Since then, Audrey's heroism got more and more consistent (nothing grandiose just general bravery in the face of bedlam) and utterly telegraphed her final death.

• Love 4

George Romero called, he wants his plot twist back.

Almost every bit of this season has been derivative of well-known horror films: Blair Witch, The Hills Have Eyes, Poltergeist, Night of the Living Dead - you name it. Makes me wonder if any of the people who wrote those movies could sue for plagiarism. 

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing, necessarily, that the whole story was sort of a rip-off of other, well-known stories. In some ways it sort of worked but it's obviously a really weird choice to basically co-opt established material like this.

The storyline is so stupid. The poor decisions by the characters make me feel like I'm watching a B movie. It is so over the top campy that I can't see how it isn't somehow supposed to be that way but I don't understand why they would do that.

I certainly agree the biggest problem this season had - especially in the first five episodes - was the improbable behavior. The way the characters reacted was almost laughable, like that TV commercial that satirizes horror films: the teens are running from the serial killer and shout "let's hide in the barn filled with chainsaws!" It's just . . . dumb. 

They somewhat managed to fix this in the last four episodes but by then the damage had already been done.

• Love 4

And what mother would confess to her child that she killed her dad? Is she expecting Flora to understand her reasoning and grow up without serious issues? It makes no sense. Nothing in this story makes sense.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

I guess I'm the only one who hates this season unless I missed something. The acting is terrible which is weird to me because we're dealing with some pretty good actors in general. I felt like I was watching the Disney channel when the kids were exploring the woods, the acting was so bad. So the question remains, is the bad acting purposeful? The only good performance is by Angela Bassett and I think that's only because it's probably impossible for her to do anything less than stellar, even when trying.

This episode was the worst with unrealistic reactions by the characters. I don't think anybody would be as calm as that guy was when he found his fellow actors, presumably friends, brutally murdered. 

Furthermore, I think it's sort of boring. I only continue to watch because I love the series. I've been glued to every episode since the first season but this one is such a disappointment. Am I really the only one who thinks this season is horrible?

I'm still shocked over here about Sarah Paulson's accent. I was positive it was going to be a plot point and that she was deliberately trying to make it sound sketchy. Why force the character to be British? 

• Love 5

^^And since it's not a plot point that means she's just shitty. As somebody else previously stated, even the things she says are not typical of what a British person would say in the situation, which means not only does her accent suck but the script also sucks. 

• Love 4

So Lee is the last survivor. Ok. But the footage has been found right? So they know and see that she is the killer. Yes, she was possessed but she still commited the murders. I'm interested to see how they'll explain that next week. 

If Audrey had just kept her shit together, she could have been the hero of this story. 

I have enjoyed this season. It definitely scared me a few times

I think Audrey ~was~ the hero of the story.  (A la, NoftheLD.)

Why was she British?  Perhaps as a way of showing that Americans are shallow celebrity whores (CGJ, the director, the bloggers) or completely insane (Agnes, Lee, the murderer of Mason her husband and possibly of her first daughter) or medically unsound (Monet, Lee both alcoholics) while it takes a European to find True Love (Rory), and call the villains on their shit and stand up to them?  How times have changed.  Used to be the other way around.  John Wayne must be rolling in his grave.

NoftheLD did the same thing only Romero's point was that the white people were out of control and unable to save the day.  It took an African American to be the hero and even then, he succumbed to mistaken knee jerk reactions by the white police.  (That is NOT to be taken as the point of the movie.  His "gotcha" at the end was really because it was a cheap horror movie based on universal madness in the form of alien rain or some bullshit like that.  I don't think it was ever intended to be the cult classic it -- rightfully -- became.  The shooting was meant to be ironic.  I'm not a film student so I don't know Romero's point other than a sort of blatant quick nod to civil rights going on in the 60s when the film was made.)

Edited by Captanne

Almost every bit of this season has been derivative of well-known horror films: Blair Witch, The Hills Have Eyes, Poltergeist, Night of the Living Dead - you name it. Makes me wonder if any of the people who wrote those movies could sue for plagiarism. 

I thought that was the point of the show, though? Every season is derivative of some aspect of American "horror."

• Love 9

I'm enjoying the use of the word 'British' to describe Audrey's accent.  British can mean Scottish, Welsh and English (and to some, Irish).  Audrey did in fact use an English accent, and just because someone uses an English accent, it doesn't mean they're from England (see Madonna).  Audrey, the actress, could've been using the English accent for many reasons (she's pretentious, eg).  It was probably a device used by the writers to differentiate Audrey from the character of Shelby and Lana Winters.  Accent or not, Audrey had the best lines toward the end of the season, perhaps my favorite was 'He really was such a wonderful scene partner. He gave me so much to play with, some of my best performances.'

• Love 3

I'm confused about a couple things. Wasn't Cricket a character in another season? Why does his name sounds so familiar?

Also, I was expecting the ghosts of everyone who's been killed so far to show up. Do they have to wait for the next Blood Moon before they can pop up or something?

Also don't understand how Adina Porter is labeled as a special guest, when she's been in every episode, as opposed to Evan, Cheyenne and Wes. They must have better agents I guess.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I'm enjoying the use of the word 'British' to describe Audrey's accent.  British can mean Scottish, Welsh and English (and to some, Irish).  Audrey did in fact use an English accent, and just because someone uses an English accent, it doesn't mean they're from England (see Madonna).  Audrey, the actress, could've been using the English accent for many reasons (she's pretentious, eg).  It was probably a device used by the writers to differentiate Audrey from the character of Shelby and Lana Winters.  Accent or not, Audrey had the best lines toward the end of the season, perhaps my favorite was 'He really was such a wonderful scene partner. He gave me so much to play with, some of my best performances.'

And a southern accent could mean North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, etc, all of which have certain differences but they are still all southern nonetheless. 

I think it has been questioned whether or not Audrey is in fact from England even though her accent is an attempt to imply that she is. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 3

Because it's so bad nobody can tell if it's supposed to be English, Scottish, or Welsh?

I think one of the twists in the finale should be Dick Van Dyke mourning the tragic death of his illegitimate daughter.

12 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Every time I see those hanging stick figures and watch one of these characters freak out like they can't deal, it just makes me laugh and roll my eyes. The reactions to the hanging stick figures have been more OTT than the reactions to murderous ghosts and freaking cannibals.

Amen. While their appearances in the stairwell and in the underground bunker with Agnes were scary because there's no humanly possible way for them to have been strung up unseen in such a short time, the figures themselves are decidedly unfrightening. Basically people who've just kept their wits through witnessing horrific murders and evidence of the supernatural are losing their shit over macramé.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

She is British.  Her accent is English.  No?

ETA:  As an American with a Welsh mother, I don't think her accent is that bad for an American actress on an American show.  I can tell immediately she is not Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish.  No matter what nationality, it's always tricky to use an accent not your own.  I think Meryl Streep is the most famous for almost always getting it right.  (I think Hugh Laurie did a great job on House.)

Is Sarah Paulson Dick Van Dykes's daughter?!  How fascinating!

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Shorty186 said:

I'm confused about a couple things. Wasn't Cricket a character in another season? Why does his name sounds so familiar?

Also, I was expecting the ghosts of everyone who's been killed so far to show up. Do they have to wait for the next Blood Moon before they can pop up or something?

Also don't understand how Adina Porter is labeled as a special guest, when she's been in every episode, as opposed to Evan, Cheyenne and Wes. They must have better agents I guess.

Cricket was in the Coven season.

• Love 1

Regarding the accent: I'm not sure if all Brits are like this but I have a good friend from Scotland, he refers to himself as Scottish and speaks with a Scottish accent. He explained to that sometimes they find it offensive to be referred to as British because they're not actually British, they're Scottish or Welsh since they are all separate countries. So now I just say English, Irish or Scottish instead of British. I think Sarah P was trying to be English

I agree with the complaints about the darkness & the shaky camera work.  Especially the darkness.  I don't like to have to strain to understand the action on a TV show, but that's what I had to do on many of the episodes.  Why not just give us a little more light so we can actually see what happens on screen?

• Love 3

This was a fun and scary episode. I was literally on the edge of my seat when possessed Lee entered the house to kill Audrey and Monet. The real version of the Gaga witch was scary as hell and looked like a hunchback feral zombie! Loved seeing the scary real Butcher again at the end, and also the hot Uber driver. Can't wait to see what happens next week.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Regarding the accent: I'm not sure if all Brits are like this but I have a good friend from Scotland, he refers to himself as Scottish and speaks with a Scottish accent. He explained to that sometimes they find it offensive to be referred to as British because they're not actually British, they're Scottish or Welsh since they are all separate countries. So now I just say English, Irish or Scottish instead of British. I think Sarah P was trying to be English

As an English person I can confirm that when being referred to individually, most British people prefer (not sure about being offended per se; in my experience generally the Scots and Welsh get more irked about being called British than the English do) to be identified by which country they are from; England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, and that includes accents even more so, because there is no such thing as a generic 'British' accent.

Audrey was absolutely, without a doubt attempting to portray an English accent and like a poster above said, I'm not sure why? It added nothing to the plot whatsoever and the reasoning of 'to differentiate her from Lana and fauxShelby' seems weak, as we are more than capable of knowing who she's meant to be in which situation. Also, there are a myriad of American accents they could have had her use, which brings us back to the question of why have her use an English accent specifically when it added zero to the plot, and especially when she was pretty awful and cliched at doing one? 

The fauxButcher's - Kathy Bates' - English accent was more believable (it sounded like a cross between a Lancashire and a Yorkshire accent to me).

• Love 3