Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: Life is Full of Surprises

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I like non-model challenges. I'm glad Rik won, his dress and jacket was classy and reminded me of Chanel. His was the only one I liked. I can't remember the three that were safe right now.

The rest. Is mixing two material pattern's together a thing? I never see it where I live. So I didn't get Roberi's dress. I thought Mah-Jing's design looked like a Hefty bag and not age appropriate.

I thought Nathalia should have gone home. Her Mom was swimming in those pants, top and coat and the coat wasn't finished. Jennie's was awful too. I hated everything about it and it was too juvenile looking and not age appropriate either. Erin's was awful too. We see the same coat with the big outside pockets again. The dress was just a blue shift with a doilie tablecloth over it. I will not miss Jennie's horsey laugh which was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. 

I noticed Erin was wearing a t-shirt that said 'Dexter' and Dexter's friend looked like Erin. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 12

Next week, Erin will surprise us all by embellishing another shapeless coat. And Dexter will wait in vain for the street walker challenge to arrive.

Not sure why Natalie is still there, the hem was coming out, and it looked like the coat was winning the battle with her poor mom.

Okay with affected laughing Jenni going home. I'd have auf'd the whole bottom three.

AARP? Why would they sponsor a challenge with all the "matronly" shade these judges have been throwing?

Of the top 3, loved Mah Jing's the best, but would have been fine with any getting the win.

• Love 14

I was glad to see that Rik won. I would have been happy for him or Mah-Jing. Hers was dictated by her career and the image she wanted to project, but being an entertainer she was already more "runway ready" than Rik's mom, who seemed less in her element. The "real woman" challenge is always problematic, because the designers have to please the client and the judges, and sometimes the two clash. That said, I think that maybe a couple of the "clients" were a little less than honest about how much they liked what they wound up with? I'm looking at you, Jenny's Mom. That was hideous, and NOT at all age appropriate. I would sent both she and Nathalia home. (There ought to be a negative version of the Tim Gunn Save, where an extra person is sent home. )

Was this the first "real woman" where the winner was not the closest to the model type? I had my eye on Laurance and Dexter's clients just because I assumed they'd maintain that trend the best.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

AARP? Why would they sponsor a challenge with all the "matronly" shade these judges have been throwing?

Retcon? Just like last season proved they didn't really hate non-model sized people. And yes, I am being sarcastic.

• Love 3

I think they should have saved the announcement about the client also getting $25K until they announced the winner. The thought of missing out on that prize added to the close relationship the clients had with their designers made it tough for them to be really honest about how they felt about their looks. Had they waited it would have been a nice surprise rather than having the ones who knew they were in the bottom have to face losing that big cash prize while being judged. Anyway, I'm okay with the winner. I wish they'd get rid of Erin because she does make the same coat over and over and she's arrogant and bitchy, too. But I'm glad they gave the designers 2 days and for most of them you could see the difference in the quality of what they were able to put together. I'm glad Laurance was only safe because her client was so much younger and in better shape than the rest. It was kind of an unfair advantage.

• Love 7

Jenni's looked like a clown suit!  Wasn't anticipating her leaving so soon, but that was well deserved. 

Erin was a close second. That lace was hideous. And move on from the oversized coats already!!

loved mah-jing's and Cornelius's moms. Actually, all of them!  

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

For me there's not a conflict. I'm 57 (get AARP junk in the mail all the time) but just because I'm older doesn't mean I have to or want to look matronly. I stay as far away from matronly looks as a 20 year old would.

I didn't care for Mah Jing's look - I hate leather - but would have been okay with it winning because it was something different and seemed pretty well made. I was glad Rik won. Roberi's was nice enough, but the top was too swimsuit like for me.

I thought Nathalia should have gone home. At least Jenni's top was fairly nice. Nothing else was, but at least she had that. Nathalia had nothing.

• Love 19
17 minutes ago, sofaslug said:

Did anyone else feel that Mah-Jing's mom was a bit...distant? I think he commented that they weren't really close (maybe I heard wrong) but at times it felt like they were strangers and she wanted to be anywhere but there.

Yes, he did say that & that he felt he didn't know her as well as he would like. His mom came off as very centered and not exactly aloof, but certainly not the touchy-feely "oh my baby" vibe that's more the norm that we see on the show.

Add my voice to the chorus of "I'm so over Erin". I just cracked up when they actually showed all of her oversize coats on screen, right before Tim's critique about it. Nice editing, show. Plus she's also done the pale blue dress thing before, wasn't that episode 2 or 3?

Edited by Rane
  • Love 14

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Nathalia the one who rode in on her cruelty-free high horse in the premiere?  I thought I heard her say 'pleather' when the challenge started, but the judges all said leather.  Not that anything could have saved that mess.  Erin - you are a lucky moron.

I wonder if the producers regret casting Laurence.  She is a superb designer (although treading dangerously close to Erin's 'let's do it again!' zip code) and happily drama-free.  She is also personality-free.  She has no affect, no wit, no nothing.  I don't dislike that - some people are just a little more closed than others - but it makes for boring TV.  She gets very little air time in the designing/sewing/draping segments, compared to other designers, and I can only assume that either she doesn't say anything or what she says is boring.  Sometimes she almost seems embarrassed to be there.  I like her...I just wonder if the Project Runway people wish she had more to say.  I know I do.  And as much as I roll my eyes at the drama sometimes, imagine if all the designers were like Laurence!

• Love 16

You would think, after being in the bottom for the past few episodes, Erin would accept Tim's critique that, perhaps the coat is just looking a little too familiar. The last person who didn't listen to Tim was the first contestant who left. Time's up for Erin. 

Loved how all the Moms, even the ones who knew their look looked sh**ty, talked about how much they LOVED their outfit. That's what a Mom does!

Do Cornelius and his Mom have the same glasses?

• Love 6

I have no complaints about the bottom this week... and I thought any of the 3 were deserving of the auf... I'm sick of the oversize coat thing, it's been done to death... What happens if they do an Avant Garde challenge? It's going to be a gigantic coat, made of leather, with the poopiest poopy pants ever...

I like the winning design a lot, and likes others have said, I'm glad for once the real woman challenge had a more typical sized person for the winner instead of the closest one to a model.

I guess they learned their lesson many moons ago that if you use family members, don't switch them around on the designers :P

• Love 19

The mom models always come with a ton of baggage. No doubt the producers are hoping for drama, but it's so unfortunate. Mah-Jing and his mom seemed a little distant on camera, but I just want to blame the camera (because nobody really gets used to it/pretends it's not there). Meanwhile, not much is tipping me off the Rik, Laurence, Roberi final three.

• Love 3

The dang show spoiled the ending by showing Jenny weeping on the runway at the beginning.   When I saw those pants a little later, I just knew.

Hey Dexter, if you need to wear a shirt that says "FRESH," chance are you aren't.   His Boy George/Wham mash-up look was ridiculous.  

Hey Erin, if you were trying to dispel the impression of last week that you and Dexter teamed up to give Cornelius a raw deal, wearing a top that says DEXTER probably is not the way to go.

I prayed Mah-Jing's mother would slap him in the head and say "Snap out of it" during one of his crying jags.  I think the only reason the judges praised her look is that they feared her.

All the crying was nauseating.   How do these idiots survive in the real world?

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, millennium said:

All the crying was nauseating.   How do these idiots survive in the real world?

Production on these shows make sure the contestants stay tired. Being tired makes a lot of people over emotional and prone to tears. Some shows provide alcohol for emotional hangovers. I know on season one PR provided alcohol (Jay doing drunk yoga while smoking!). I don't know if they still provide alcohol. But if the contestants are half as emotional as me when I'm tired (or stressed) I get it. I am also annoyed by it, but I get it.

• Love 15

I have no problem with Rik winning & Jenni leaving. The rest were OK I guess except Natahlia's was crap, so were Jenni's pants (I don't understand why she didn't say the outfit was for her mother's off duty time), & I don't care what the judges thought, Mah-Jing's mother looked like she was wrapped up in one of those giant black plastic garbage bags.

• Love 14

I appreciated the fact that Zak was not his usual handsy self with the mom models. He managed to examine the garments without touching the nonprofessionals. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that he is inappropriate during the up-close segment. He is truly a construction diva and he wants to see the seams, darts and details up close. But he was right to dial this back when examining the garments in this ep, and kudos to him for recognizing that. I also appreciated that the women wearing the bottom looks were not on the runway during the final elimination, a rare example of reality show producers chosing couth over drama.

Edited by PrincessSteel
Typo
  • Love 24

Jenni's pants were indeed awful. 

Still, I would have sent Erin home for making the same coat again and for making one of the most hideous dresses I've ever seen.  Is anyone here old enough to remember the Budget Shop section of the JC Penney or Sears catalog?  Cuz that's where that dress came from ... with a tablecloth from housewares added as embellishment.  The whole thing was seriously ugly.

• Love 18

Erin is so fake. I rolled my eyes when she was all "That looks so great!" all loud and shit when Cornelius's mom walked down the runway. Trying to act like she's his best friend now. We see you. And I love how she refuses to listen to Tim when he's throwing all kinds of hints. Ugly coat. Seen it before. Why the lace. Are those flowers. Blue is juvenile. But Erin stands by her design. Her taste is questionable.

I also feel so uncomfortable for the real women models when the judges descend on them to poke, prod, and stroke the clothes. And especially when they're talking shit about the clothes that their kids made. Awkward.

• Love 15

Ok. Where did they find these guest judges? Was it an accident? They were so PLEASANT. Now I understand the title of this week's show.  

Too funny about the judges being afraid of Mah-Jing's mom. Dressing her as a black bear didn't do anything to soften the impression.  Rik's was fine and I thought Roberi's was creative for who he was dressing and why. In my next life, I'd like to come back with her gorgeous eyes.  

Erin won the first challenge with her bright yellow gumball dress without putting a giant coat on it. I think maybe it's time the judges get passed their fascination with her alleged creativity and what more they expect to see from her and cut her loose. I feel like I'm watching an artist lose his mind before my eyes. Dexter is driving the crazy train in case Erin needs a ride.  

Thought Jennie deserved to go and can certainly understand why Nathalia was a close runner up. Bottom three were pretty scary, I thought.  

• Love 9

Oh look, Erin made an oversized jacket with half-oval pockets and a cheap arts 'n' crafts dress.  How original.

Jenni made her mother look like she woke up in the middle of the night in the kiddie department and got dressed in the dark.

Mah-Jing made his mother look like a Game of Thrones cosplay reject.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 19

Erin's was a disaster.  That coat, as others have said, was way too big, and the dress was hideous.

Cornelius's was horrible.

Laurence's dress for her relative should have been in the top three.  And genes are unfair.

I thought Mah Jing's mum looked awful.  The fabric was too stiff and the length all wrong.

And how come the judges loved his but hated Natalia's?  I thought both had similar issues.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, crazyirishlady said:

Natalia should have been aufed.  She didn't finish and her look was baaaaad!

I agree with the judges because Nathalia's could have been saved if it had been finished and if it had fit properly.  No amount of fitting could have saved Jenni's horrible fabric.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 6

Wow, there was a lot of ill-fitting FUG on that runway. Seriously, what the hell? If you give me an outfit that has only one of those issues, I  can be a little more lenient but there were several outfits that were both ill fitting and ugly. Everyone in the bottom three should have been sent home.

Erin's coat looked like she spent ten minutes making it. The color was anemic, the design was simple, and it looked about three sizes too big. The dress underneath looked like something that would have made even people in the 80s say, "Girl, that is UGLY."

Jenni's design was simplistic but not in a good way. It looked underdesigned and badly fitted which seems like she put no thought into the pieces and no effort in the construction. The hideous print of the pants and the tacky old lady embellishment on the shirt just made everything worse.

Then there's Nathalia who made a coat that was so big it made her mom look like a little girl wearing her daddy's jacket. I know Heidi kept harping on how hard it looked which I agree with. That material looked so stiff and uncomfortable. It looked like it could stand up on its own and kids could pretend it was a tipi. The tank top was way too blousey which makes me think that it was way too big. The pants were sloppy, too big, and unflattering.

I'm glad that Rik won because his was one of the only designs that was age appropriate, flattering, and classy. Although the red heart was a little bit twee, it reminded me of the Commes des Garçons shirts:
vcgQmCv.jpg

• Love 7
8 hours ago, avecsans said:

AARP challenge?  Really?  Project Runway is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with sponsors.

With respect, I'm disagreeing here. I simply thought of it as a real person challenge; a non- model displayed series of garments worn by over 30's (or 50's) who have very real requirements (school, work, travel, etc) and also had opinions and input about what they'd end up with.

Some succeeded, some, not so much. All I could think when I saw Erin's mess was 'okay, this coat again in a non-gray over a dress which could only be worn at an afternoon tea party with the DAR...were the white gloves included? This girl needs to leave now; she's a one-trick and boring. And a bit snotty as well. She's not my cuppa...

• Love 24

I think Erin's problem is the judges fed her ego so much during the early weeks, that now she thinks she can do no wrong.  Her early stuff was weird and ugly, too, but the panel bought into it for some reason.   Once Nina finally gives her ominous 'I question her taste level' verdict, Erin will be toast.

• Love 11

"Sorry, Jenni. Yeah, your mom really gave you nothing to work with but, damn. That really wasn't a good look."

I actually felt that Jenni's mom gave her several options - pick one, Jenni! That's all you had to do! But, damn, that really was not a good look! Lol.

Agree with the person who said the top of Roberi's dress looked like a swimsuit. I didn't have a problem with the contrasting prints - I thought it was really brought together with the pink stitching in the top - but the top just looked so blah to me. I feel like it should've been more constructed, to really stand up with that skirt. And maybe the waist could've been more defined. I was really surprised it was in the top for those reasons.

Finally, I'm a little confused by Tara's blurb about Roberi's dress looking as good on a 20-something (with curves) as on his mother - his model was his (probably 20-something) friend, with curves. Not his mother. Couldn't tell if she meant Rik's?

• Love 4

Mah-Jing and Cornelius look so much like their moms, it was distracting!  And Mah-Jing just seems like the sweetest man.

Jenny's mom, and to a lesser extent Erin's, looked like they wanted to punch the judges during the close up judging.

• Love 13

All 3 of the bottom looks should have been g-o-n-e and the season could have been made shorter, or the remaining designers could have been given more time on future projects.

There was not one redeeming factor in Erin's mess.  The lace she used didn't even have the edges sewn down.  That's not going to look good after she throws the polyester dress into the washer and dryer.  It'll have to be IRONED.  (LOL)  The blue WAS juvenile, and how in the world did that "here we go again" coat with big pockets even go with that dress?  Just because a color is in the "neutral" family doesn't mean it goes with everything.  

I'm hoping the loser bus makes a stop for Erin next week.

• Love 7

Once again we see that most of these people don't know how to create fashion for real women. Even when the real women are their mamas.

Erin's look was one of the worst I've ever seen on PR. I laughed at Tim's critique.

I'm glad Rik won because he really focused on something his mother can actually wear without cringing.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Beden said:

With respect, I'm disagreeing here. I simply thought of it as a real person challenge; a non- model displayed series of garments worn by over 30's (or 50's) who have very real requirements (school, work, travel, etc) and also had opinions and input about what they'd end up with.

Some succeeded, some, not so much. All I could think when I saw Erin's mess was 'okay, this coat again in a non-gray over a dress which could only be worn at an afternoon tea party with the DAR...were the white gloves included? This girl needs to leave now; she's a one-trick and boring. And a bit snotty as well. She's not my cuppa...

Sick last night so I'm just now watching. This is a pretty genius way to structure a "real woman" challenge. They can't throw their "boobs! butts!" hissy fits around and about their friends and family members. They also (shouldn't) want them to look like messy fools in the end.

• Love 5

This was a hard challenge to watch, regardless of how you feel about each of the designers.  It had to be completely nerve-wracking to be designing for your Mom or loved one, and know that you could be on the chopping block and aufed in front of that person, because of the garment you made for them.

When I saw all the relatives/good friends walk in, I got a little nervous, because I was remembering another "real woman" challenge, where the designers had to design for each other's Moms.  I think it was Jeffrey Sebilia who basically phoned it in and created something really ugly for another designer's Mom, and it created a lot of bad feelings and animosity.  So, I was kind of glad that the designers were making garments for their own loved ones.

Erin is coming across very smug, and I agree - she seems to be a one-trick pony at this point.  She does not listen to anything that Tim has to say.  I'm glad that she's willing to defend her designs, but Tim is there for a reason - to give advice and mentor the designers to perhaps re-thinking what he knows will not work.  Oh well, if she continues to designing ugly lacy dresses and cocoon coats, she probably won't be around for too much longer.  Also, she must have had a REALLY bad time in Utah - could she bash it anymore??  And one other thing - I really wish she would wash her hair - it so often looks dirty and greasy.

Dexter, also, is really showing himself to be very mean.  His designs don't  do anything for me.  Interesting that he was safe with a sweater knit dress, but yet, the first designer to go home (Linda - ?) was aufed for creating a sweater-knit dress.  How come no criticism for him?  His comments about Cornelius getting the TG save were just mean spirited, imo, especially when he doesn't have much in the way of design skills to back up those comments.

I loved Rik's dress for his Mom, and was so glad that he won.  He clearly understood the challenge and made something for his Mom that she will be able to wear for many years.  I loved that jacket!

Laurence's look - again, she is also coming across as a one-trick pony, creating another jacket with stitching details.  I didn't see much of her look, but it just looked repetitive.

I think that Jenni and Natalia both should have gone home (and maybe Erin, too, or at least a very strong warning to Erin, again).  Jenni's look was all over the place and sloppily constructed - I'm glad her Mom defended her and the look, but I cannot believe there is anyway that she would wear that in real life.

Natalia's look had so much potential, if she had just made that jacket to fit her Mom's size and body - maybe cut a little longer with a wrap belt, so that it would work everywhere in Europe.  Those pants needed to be better tailored, and would have looked better if they were a straight leg.  The high waist would have worked with the top, but make it a true high waist, so that the blousing of the top would hang correctly.

And, while I didn't like Mah-Jing's look, as I said upthread, I felt like all he wanted was a smile and hug from his Mom.  He created exactly what she wanted, or so it seemed, - couldn't she have just given him some encouragement?  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Jenni's pants were indeed awful. 

Still, I would have sent Erin home for making the same coat again and for making one of the most hideous dresses I've ever seen.  Is anyone here old enough to remember the Budget Shop section of the JC Penney or Sears catalog?  Cuz that's where that dress came from ... with a tablecloth from housewares added as embellishment.  The whole thing was seriously ugly.

And she's a bitch, too. I was also hoping that Derek would get the boot for being such a bitch, as well. He's mean and ugly and his clothes are not good.

I was rooting for Rik after he said how he owes her a lot of money, plus his design was attractive and age appropriate. Agree with the person who said Rik, Riberi and Laurence for the final three because those other designers are so untalented. I tuned into the season late, about 3 episodes ago, and was shocked by how bad everyone is. This show needs to go back to Bravo.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, millennium said:

I literally cringed during the critique of Jenni's mother because the critique extended to the Mom herself and her apparently misguided notions about her professional appearance as the director of a daycare center.   One of the judges said something like, "If I brought my child to a daycare center and the director walked out dressed like this ..."  They not only savaged the design but the mother's taste and her point of view.   In my opinion, it was out of line and cruel.

I agree. Did Jenni even say that outfit was meant to be worn at work? If so I missed it. 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Maya said:

I agree. Did Jenni even say that outfit was meant to be worn at work? If so I missed it. 

I felt a little bad for those who got bad critiques only because their mothers were there, but I do not think the judges should have held back. This is a competition. Natalia's mother should have said, "Mija, the idea is good but this does not fit! Fix it!" My mother would have. And I cannot believe Jenny's mother would wear that silly outfit to work. That there was an OMG, I forgot to buy X and my guests will be here in less than an hour, rushing out the door to the store outfit.

Also, I was glad for Cornelius last week because those two meanies threw him under the bus but I can't recall one thing of his I've liked besides that red plaid jacket. His mother should have worn some Spanxx for the runway. Natalia's mother should have said