Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: I'll Be Your Mirror

• Start Topic

Emma and Regina formulate a plan to trap the Evil Queen in a prison of their own making, while Snow and David adjust to life without each other. As Henry nervously prepares to take Violet to the school dance, the Evil Queen impersonates Regina to give him some advice that could lead him down a dark path. Meanwhile, Zelena agrees to help Belle, and together they enlist Aladdin to steal a magical object from Mr. Gold that could protect Belle and her unborn child from him forever.

I really liked the opening w/ Snowing- it was sweet and actually showed how hard something like that would be.  As a whole I enjoyed this episode much more than I have the last several.

Mirror-world was appropriately creepy.

I will never get tired of Hook and his frustrations with cell phones.  I am glad that Hook and Henry figured it out quickly.

Also, Hook was particularly attractive when he popped up and had the EQ by the throat (and how I wish this was a  network where we could have just done that.  Maim her and trap her!) I am sure that says more about me than anything else.

I actually kind of liked Henry and Violet at Granny’s (the 1st time- second time was a bit much) and that is some twisted shit the Queen was doing to Henry.

Love the Dragon dropping truth bombs!

Aladdin and Jasmine- again, it is like they are on a different show.

Zelena w/ an actual plan set into motion in the past - and it makes sense!  I do not buy that the EQ would question the need to kill Zelena.  

Edited by gik910
  • Love 5

what exactly is the point of this season? by this time in the arc, we should be getting the lay of the land, but I have zero idea what this is supposed to accomplish, other than to make me lose my lunch because they keep making EQ + Rumple Kiss.

• Love 15
  • Ok, ha. The half/half sequence of the Charmings was... well, charming. :)
  • School?! Movie dates? When the frick frack was Henry doing all of this between all the standing there looking dumb?
  • Welp, Emma and boring Regina were the clear winners of the stupid stick hit this week...
  • Why in the EFF are they not more careful with gauging who's who when they know that the Evil Queen is running around and already known to be disguising herself as other people? Ugh. Idiots.
  • Go away, Zelena. No one wants you here. Also, where is your infant while you're off scheming with Belle, Jasmine, and Aladdin? Are all babies in this town magically self-sufficient and advanced?
  • Ok, so knocking on the mirrors is hopeless until you really need it to work because Henry's standing there? At some random mirror in the hall at a diner? What color does the contrivance fairy wear?
  • I assume the little monkey toy is a nod to Abu...
  • The dragon has no wings... How is he flying?
  • Shut up, Henry.
  • Mean Hook shows up for a second. Gotta love the pirate that still lurks.
  • Wait, so what happens(-ed?) to the dragon guy?
  • Ew, vomit, gag. Wash eyes with bleach... Why do they feel forcing this disgustingness on us is necessary?

Was there a purpose to this episode? I think I missed it if there was.

• Love 6

This is the first episode I’ve liked since Hyde’s last episode. Things were actually happening, finally!

I loved the opening with Snow and Charming. I loved seeing the Mirror World, and Snow calling TEQ a monster. I loved TEQ and Henry’s interaction, and Belle turning to Zelena for help again. I also loved that Zelena finally got to do something this season--since the premiere, anyway--and putting a spell on Rumpel’s heart back when she had control over him made sense for the character. I’m just hoping Zelena does not die during this season’s BS storyline. At first I thought Belle was Rumpel in disguise trying to test Zelena for what she’d do. I’m glad Belle is proactive, but I’m not sure how she’d be able to get away from Rumpel in a way that he couldn’t find her? I found it a little unbelievable that Rumpel would have the Hammer of Hephaestus….

Btw, I noticed they played music throughout the beginning montage and then again at the end with Regina/Emma. I liked it the first time, but the second time made me worried this show’s about to turn into Grey’s Anatomy.

• Love 1

I actually thought Charming and Snow seemed rather chipper in the little beginning montage, considering what they are supposed to be dealing with.  I guess it was supposed to show how they never get to "see" each other and are just trying to hold it together, but the sort of peppy music and the smiling while making pancakes made it seem happy rather than sad.

I thought Gold getting "rebooted" as the Dark One fixed his heart permanently, or at least cleared it so he could afford to darken it with a few more hundred years of evil before he would have heart problems again.  I don't really remember what all exactly happened - I do remember Zelena visiting Gold in the hospital - but I never got the feeling that what she did was the only thing that had fixed him.

I liked that Henry figured out what was going on because EQ told him not to slouch and that Hook was also on to her because of the way she acted when she posed as Regina coming to tell everyone they defeated the queen.  Actually everyone should have figured out it wasn't really Regina right then.  Wouldn't the EQ's sleeping spell on Charming and Snow be lifted if EQ was stuck behind the mirror/without magic?  Nobody in that scene even said anything about ... so well what do we do about the curse?

• Love 3

Well--that episode was not bad. 

Emma needs to stop catastrophizing about her death. :-(

The Dragon is totally Lily's dad. He mentioned something about a daughter. 

It's so stupid when everyone was talking of/to the EQ! as though she wasn't split from Regina like five days ago.

Clever of Henry and Hook to figure out the EQ switcheroo. That scene with Hook pointing his hook at the EQ's throat was hawt.

More vomit with the Golden Queen crap. I cheered for Zelena that she had protected herself from Rumple. Rumple is back to imprisoning Belle again. Rumbelle is beyond redeemable at this point, but I'm still afraid the writers will redeem this abusive trash as romance. I bet there will be people sympathizing with Rumple over this.

Will could have totally taken Aladdin's role in this epsidoe. It would've been a nice way for Belle and him to get closure. There is literally no point to Aladdin and Jasmine. 

Sniff at the Genie/Robin Williams mention others picked up on.

Poor Snowing, but it's been like two days, Snow. It's too soon for despair. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Plastic said:

I don't really remember what all exactly happened - I do remember Zelena visiting Gold in the hospital - but I never got the feeling that what she did was the only thing that had fixed him.

She just put a spell on it so Rumple couldn't harm her directly.

• Love 6

Well, that was only 1/3 as horrific as the usual Emma/Regina episodes are.

So, why is super-good Regina different from regular or Extra Evil Regina only in that she's not murdery?  Because I'm not 100% unevil, like she's supposed to be, and I feel guilty for and/or apologize regularly for things I did when I was having a bad day.  Why does she snap at people for reminding her she did horrible things and made horrible choices, instead of being guilty or sad or anything but dismissive and offended?

So, starting to think they may actually kill Rumple off this season. 

Why were Belle and Zelena so comfortable going to Aladdin and demanding he do things for them?  And, am I the only one who wants to roll my eyes when Belle goes on about how evil Rumple is?    Yeah.  He's super evil. Everyone else figured it out years ago, while you were telling them how Rumple had a good heart.  Have you apologized to any of the people you victim-blamed, yet?    

I'd sort of like a guest episode with someone like Dr. Phil or Dr. Laura, just so they can chew out character after character for their horrible life choices.

Just now, Blue Plastic said:

I actually thought Charming and Snow seemed rather chipper in the little beginning montage, considering what they are supposed to be dealing with.  I guess it was supposed to show how they never get to "see" each other and are just trying to hold it together, but the sort of peppy music and the smiling while making pancakes made it seem happy rather than sad.

I thought they did a really good job with it--by the end of the montage, they definitely seemed strained.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I thought that the mirror realm was really well done and that having a mirror for every mirror was a clever idea with a lot of possibilities for the episode.  And then they did nothing with it.

I wanted Emma to look through and see Hook a) being all manly and naked, then b) applying his guyliner :D

• Love 19

This wasn't too bad. I was expecting the dragon guy to be Jasmine's dad. I wish the Aladdin story was more inclusive with the others. They seem so isolated in their scenes.  

Henry is looking so grown up. Him in the suit reminded me of Marty McFly on his way to the dance in Back to the Future.  

I really don't like the Belle story. Everything about her scenes with Rumple bothered me. 

I wanted Emma to look through and see Hook a) being all manly and naked, then b) applying his guyliner :D

Why are you not writing for this show?

The beginning was pretty sweet, all things considered with them, but it's already taking its toll.  

Queen Gold is the equivalent of Blue Bloods's Jamko: nope, not interested, not caring, STAPH.  

• Love 3

Things I liked:

The beginning with Snow & Charming and their life with the sleeping curse.

Charming has a thing for pancakes.

Killian was helping Henry pick out a tie for his date.

Henry picked up on the Evil Queen's identity and I wasn't sure he had. And he didn't get Darth Vadered. And just the use of  "Darth Vader" as a verb in this episode.

Captain Hook saves the day! He still has a little pirate in him.

Belle is finally acting approprately appalled at Rumple and is not being taken in again (so far).

I like Zelena's spell on Rumple's heart.  Not bad!

Didn't like:

I get that villians get turned on by power, but can we not with the EQ and Rumple? I might not hate it if it weren't for his history with Cora.

They really need passwords to get around the glamour spell. Nobody has thought of this?

Too much Henry/Violet, not enough Captain Swan.

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Mari said:

So, why is super-good Regina different from regular or Extra Evil Regina only in that she's not murdery?  Because I'm not 100% unevil, like she's supposed to be, and I feel guilty for and/or apologize regularly for things I did when I was having a bad day.  Why does she snap at people for reminding her she did horrible things and made horrible choices, instead of being guilty or sad or anything but dismissive and offended?

I felt like they missed an opportunity for Regina and Emma to hash some things out while they were trapped together. I find it really hard to believe that they're going through all these things caused by someone who was part of Regina just a week or so ago (it looks like several days have gone by, just in this episode), and no one has said a word about that to Regina, no, "Seriously? Is that how you feel about us?" They really are allergic to addressing any of the interpersonal conflict that they wrote into their own story.

They seem to have forgotten that Henry is 12, 13 at the absolute most. And that he isn't a Gen X-er. I'm in the Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles generation, and I'm middle-aged.

I agree that the mirrors were a wasted opportunity. I was hoping that since we saw the shards of mirror near unconscious Hook that Emma would have seen him and that might have added to the sense of urgency. But, as usual, when they have an opportunity to add to the sense of conflict and tension, they miss it entirely.

I was really, really uncomfortable watching the Belle and Rumple scene. This is an area where they can't just claim it's fantasy and therefore it doesn't count. They're dramatizing the kind of abusive relationship that has the women's shelters in my area so full right now that they're having to rent motel rooms to help women escape abusive husbands. It's a real thing that women are in extreme danger at the moment they decide to leave because the abusers hate losing control and will do anything to hunt them down and either stop them from leaving or even kill them for leaving. The fact that it's a magic bracelet rather than him stalking her doesn't change this. If they're going to show this kind of relationship, they need to be honest about what they're depicting and treat it seriously, not brush it off, claim that it's magic and fantasy and therefore isn't real, and not try to pretend that it's romantic.

Aladdin is the greatest thief ever? He goes into a building that's occupied, with a flashlight. He's going to release Jafar from the lamp, isn't he?

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Why are you not writing for this show?

I know, right. And not even me - there are a million people even here on this forum that would do better than the real writers.

But yeah, how could they leave out some variation of Hook primping in the mirror? It even begs for snarky Regina making a comment about Captain Guyliner again.

Edited by Randomosity
...because he's not "my Hook", no matter how much fun that would be :P
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Mari said:

So, why is super-good Regina different from regular or Extra Evil Regina only in that she's not murdery?  

Except Extra Evil Regina isn't murdery either.  She wants to mother Henry.  She knocks Hook out and doesn't kill him.  She doesn't even take his heart to control him.  Of all the curses EQ could cast on Snowing, this was probably the kindest.  They can leave messages for each other and stuff.  I'm sure anyone of us could come up with something worse.  She didn't actually kill the Dragon.  Rumple wants her to kill Zelena and she is all conflicted.

Rumple going full on evil abusive husband and reacting to Zelena having some measure of control over him in a homicidal (and in character) way is actually making it more obvious that the writers are still kind of gun shy to have Regina cross a line these days.  Really, if there were a time for EQ to murder a random pedestrian, this would be it.

• Love 4

The Rumple/ Belle stuff was just....disturbing. 

I can't watch the EQ and Rumple swapping spit anymore. Please stop. 

Henry/Violet...don't care.

I was so proud of Hook checking his phone messages and leaving one for Emma. 

I enjoyed the Belle/Zelena team up.

Snow and Charming...first kinda cute..but just sad.

Everything else....whatever. 

• Love 3

So Regina can't sacrifice herself to stop the EQ because Emma is doomed by the Savior curse to die and then only Regina will be around to protect the family.

Did they seriously create that storyline just to explain why they can't kill the EQ.  Given show history, I wouldn't expect anyone to be on board with killing EQ with Regina as collateral damage. 

Although, given the town (dwarf) history of wanting to string people up, I'm surprised it hasn't come up.

The other thing that makes no sense is that no one has broached the idea of reuniting them yet.  Its not like Regina is all that different.  We could do with some tangible differences that make people reluctant to suggest it.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

As did I (and a million other Hook fans, I bet). 

Seeing Sneezy (was it?) in the mirror was funny. 

• Love 3

I actually enjoyed this on the whole, but this . . . interpretation . . . of Aladdin pains me.  And now he's probably going to be a complete moron and free Jafar from the lamp.

Someone should remind the ABC promo monkeys that Rumple 'went too far' at least two seasons ago.  There is no plot pretzel that can redeem him or make RumBelle viable.   Because it's increasingly feeling as if the story is a lenghty anti domestic violence PSA.  

What concerns me is that theyre going to have Zelena or worse Belle kill Rumple, become the new Dark One and be the hooded figure Emma is fighting in the vision.  There was something very feminine about the sword play of the cloaked one.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 4

I enjoyed that the dynamic of the Emma/Regina episode was about mothering Henry, which is a good thing to bond over, not their "friendship". Regina had a heroic moment tonight when she wanted to sacrifice herself (and it was because of Snowing, that was sweet).

The Dragon is probably Lily's father? Finally someone who said splitting wasn't a good idea!

Except the "commoner" comment, the EQ advice wasn't bad. Having confidence is a good thing. I see the EQ is back to not blaming Cora at all, since she's taking parenting tips from her. And now she's conflicted about Zelena, so I see some redemption happening with the EQ already. 

Classic Hook. He figures stuff out, then gets knocked out :P 

Why do all the show's "great thieves" suck at stealing? 

Which heroic thing will Rumpel do in the finale to become "a good man" and "family" again after all this crap?

Edited by MaiLuna
  • Love 2

Romantic music plays for Henry/Violet...still playing when scene cuts to Regina and Emma watching.

That, my friends, is what we call "queerbaiting". 

1 hour ago, Blue Plastic said:

I thought Gold getting "rebooted" as the Dark One fixed his heart permanently, or at least cleared it so he could afford to darken it with a few more hundred years of evil before he would have heart problems again.  I don't really remember what all exactly happened - I do remember Zelena visiting Gold in the hospital - but I never got the feeling that what she did was the only thing that had fixed him.

It did fix him, but when he was in NYC he was dying rapidly and needed a special potion to help his heart last longer.  Zelena took it from him and would only give it to him if he accepted a deal, and the implication is that she enchanted the potion as part of a deal so that he'll have a heart attack and die if he kills her.  The problem is that Rumple knew this already back in 5B, that was the whole point of getting Pan's assistance.  Once again, the writers forget what they wrote on this show previously.  Whoever serves as a fact-checker on the staff is shit at their job and needs to be replaced.

So, why is super-good Regina different from regular or Extra Evil Regina only in that she's not murdery?  Because I'm not 100% unevil, like she's supposed to be, and I feel guilty for and/or apologize regularly for things I did when I was having a bad day.  Why does she snap at people for reminding her she did horrible things and made horrible choices, instead of being guilty or sad or anything but dismissive and offended?

It's weird, ever since 6x02 we've seen that this split Regina CAN feel remorse and accept blame all on her own (she acknowledged this is all her fault at the start of this episode), so it doesn't make sense why she'd suddenly back into denial mode when actually called on it.  Very schizophrenic writing. 

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Mathius said:

It's weird, ever since 6x02 we've seen that this split Regina CAN feel remorse and accept blame all on her own (she acknowledged this is all her fault at the start of this episode), so it doesn't make sense why she'd suddenly back into denial mode when actually called on it.  Very schizophrenic writing. 

If this were another show, instead of TS; TW, I'd assume they were doing it on purpose to clue us into the good/bad qualities mix.  Unfortunately, it is TS;TW, so the most logical explanation is that it's an ongoing REC issue, and they have no clue they're doing it.

• Love 1

So magic users can just make up voicemail messages on the spot now? I could see someone being able to pose as another person and leave a voicemail in their voice, but she just did it instantly while standing in front of them practicing her normal Regina voice. I refuse to say she was posing as Regina because she is Regina. They need to drastically de-power the magical villains on this show. 

And Regina was always able to just banish people to the mirror world? Pity she didn't do that to any of the villains they've faced in the last four seasons. 

• Love 7

Meh! episode for me but  I saw worse!

I found my  biggest problem with this season is the pacing. It took seven episode before the EQ begin to execute her plan but I already put her in the drama queen, mean girl club by that time.

So , it's harder to take her seriously because they never show her on the same register. One time she is campy, or the horny aunt and now suppose to be scary again too late.

It was  another filler episode more than anything else.  

They have to drag out everything so more GQ, more Rumbelle being destroyed, more Henry romance, more Jasmine and Aladdin.. But nothing really  is accomplished at the end.

If the EQ love Henry she have a curious way to show it. 

I did liked everything with Hook, how much worry he was, the tiny bit with Henry and the end with the EQ.

Still, not buying the Emma and Regina friendship. They looked more like two people stuck in a situation where they have to work together. 

I wondered if we are going to have at least one real CS adventure this year. I am not sure anymore.  Ironic if they do get engage in the final without any built up.

Edited by maryle
Spelling
  • Love 4

That was a pretty boring episode. Not even a dragon showing up could make it interesting. It's an episode you could totally skip and not miss anything. Although thankfully it was better than most of the other Emma/Regina episodes that they give us

Did the Dragon get out of the mirror at the end? They didn't show him.

I thought they would use the mirror world for some more humour after the Sneezy mirror moment but that was all we got.

So Regina has decided to sacrifice herself now and not when it actually would have been useful in the last episode? She was just standing there watching Snow and Charming about to die and she did nothing so why the change now?

Emma really has no hope that she's going to live which is so sad.

Henry/Violet was actually kind of cute.

Loved Hook leaving Emma a dozen messages because he just knows something's not right.

I'm trying to figure out if they thought people would like watching the Rumple/EQ stuff since they're putting it in every episode now? I can barely watch it without gagging.

They're really going to have to stop pretending that Regina and the EQ aren't the same person or I'm going to scream!

Edited by superloislane
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Mathius said:

It did fix him, but when he was in NYC he was dying rapidly and needed a special potion to help his heart last longer.  Zelena took it from him and would only give it to him if he accepted a deal, and the implication is that she enchanted the potion as part of a deal so that he'll have a heart attack and die if he kills her.  The problem is that Rumple knew this already back in 5B, that was the whole point of getting Pan's assistance.  Once again, the writers forget what they wrote on this show previously.  Whoever serves as a fact-checker on the staff is shit at their job and needs to be replaced.

I'm not sure if anyone's responded to this already, but I think it's more likely that Zelena did this without Rumpel having any knowledge of it.

• Love 1

I have to admit that if I was sure that  the return of the darker and mastermind Rumple wil happen  I'd be happy for the new development with Rumbelle.

Because the character lost his strength as a character when he is saddle by Rumbelle.

Yes, broke up Rumbelle and make it a tragic love story instead of the creepy love triangle and eternal broke up, reconciliation circle will be courageous for the writers.

But, probably at the end they will find a way to bring them back together and just forget whatever his new plan .  Just like the worl domination thing.

Edited by maryle
Spelling
  • Love 2

I really liked several things this episode. First was the Snowing scenes, and how you could see it wearing on them over time. Especially liked David watching the video Snow made of her and Neal. I am sure this will be solved before too long, but I was just thinking how it's good Neal is a baby and how it would mess him up if he could register what was going on with his parents...

Loved Hook. From helping Henry choose a tie, to figuring something was up with Emma, to getting the EQ at the end he was awesome this episode.

I know this will be unpopular but I like when Emma and Regina team-up and it is not all about what a martyr Reginia is. I like when they are a united front, especially when it comes to Henry.

Oh, Rumple... I love when you are a scheming, manipulating, evil bastard but you have been past that for a long time now and it was reaching alarming heights. I was (and remain) sincerely scared for Belle. Even though the Rumbelle pairing has long since crossed the line into abusive territory this was a new low for Rumple.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
Typos
  • Love 4

Was this "I'll Be Your Mirror", or "I'll Be Replacing Your Sleep Medication Tonight"?

It wasn't a horrible episode, but it was one of the more boring episodes.

They need to start reining in what the magical villains can do, because none of the "sneaky" successes of the "heroes" felt realistic this episode.  So The Evil Queen knows all, sees all, and hears all (Oh look!  she knew Hook was on the beach.  And yep, she heard the conversation Henry had with his moms about the dance in the vault).  But she didn't try to eavesdrop on Henry's conversation with Violet at the diner?  Not that it made a difference, because she had figured it out by the time he was going to do anything useful about it.  Meanwhile, we had Aladdin sneaking into Gold's shop, and he WALKS over to take a look, and the Apprentice's wand is in some unlocked drawer with no magic on it.  Give me a freak'in break!  Not that stealing the wand made an ounce of difference because Rumple realized it before Belle could do anything with it.  Is this a pattern of what?  Sort of like that Useless Sapling they spent an hour getting last episode?  

The idea that Aladdin could steal anything from Gold's shop was just ridiculous and made Belle seem selfish.  "A guy helping out a friend"... uh, unless you were one of the thousand people Belle had a flashback adventure with, you actually met her the same day she asked you to go on a suicide mission.  How exactly was Jasmine working to save Agrabah?  It doesn't take Einstein to realize these two brainiacs are going to set Jafar free.  

The World of Mirrors was neat at the beginning, but got a bit repetitive since there wasn't actually anywhere new to explore.  How did Henry know breaking the mirror would help?  The dragon's flames would open the portal how?  I don't get it.  

I actually liked Henry and Violet in the past, but I wasn't a fan in this episode.  For a moment there, I thought it would have been interesting to see Violet's identity crisis, since it must be hard to reconcile her past life with this one intermixed with people from so many realms.  But then I realized it was just another segue into a "16 Candles" reference.  Which Henry watched with Neal in 2B when he was off-screen doing nothing, I suppose.

I know no flashbacks can be a good thing, but I wonder if this is why this particular episode felt extremely long and drawn-out.

Rumple and The Evil Queen have no chemistry.  Why do they insist on giving us more scenes of it.  It's not entertaining at all.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 7

I'm sorry...did Regina say that when she sees the EQ with Henry she is reminded of the horrible mother she COULD have been??? I was so bored I might have dozed off and had a nightmare!

Cos if Regina STILL hasn't cottoned on that she was a monumental bitch for gaslighting the kid....then.....*smacks head* (did i hear correctly?)

• Love 15

Once again we have an episode that I didn't hate, but it wasn't all that great either.  Where is this story going anyway? What is the point? 

Some notes:

- Hallelujah for no flashbacks.

- Wow. Emma is certain she is going to die. That's really rough. It makes things at least slightly more meaningful when we actually see Emma's pain at leaving her family behind. 

- Too much Henry. If they want to have lots of Henry, they need better acting. It's really hard to make such cheese believable and Jared doesn't have the skill (to be fair though, I don't think many child actors could pull it off). Also, this isn't the 80s. And Henry is 12. Pick something more appropriate for him. Do they even have semi-formal dances in middle school? We had dances, but you didn't dress up for them.

- I appreciated the Emma and Regina teamwork. They're actually fine when Regina isn't bitching at Emma about whatever her current woe is.

- Why did Snowing keep going to bed in their clothes?

- Jasmine and Aladdin are going to carry the idiot ball and release Jafar. Good plan. Also, those two are so pointless. 

- Rumbelle is so far down the abuse hole, it can't be salvaged. And what was with the role playing offer between the Evil Queen and Rumpel? Offering to to let Gold bang "Regina" was all kinds of messed up.

- Did the Dragon get out and did he get his heart back? I guess no one cares.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, superloislane said:

Emma really has no hope that she's going to live which is so sad.

That's because she was spending all that time with Regina in the episode. She has no hope left for herself after all the energy she expends in propping up the latter, and receiving very little to no encouragement in return. Besides, Emma had to have no hope in order to keep Regina from talking about sacrificing herself. 

5 hours ago, maryle said:

But, probably at the end they will find a way to bring them back together and just forget whatever his new plan his like the world domination thing.

That's what I'm still afraid of too.

4 hours ago, Mathius said:

I will always stand by that Violet is adorable, mainly due to her actress.  Henry was right, she is too good for him.

The actress really is cute and good. And yes--too good for Henry.

3 hours ago, Camera One said:

The idea that Aladdin could steal anything from Gold's shop was just ridiculous and made Belle seem selfish.  "A guy helping out a friend"... uh, unless you were one of the thousand people Belle had a flashback adventure with, you actually met her the same day she asked you to go on a suicide mission.  

Agree. It was ridiculous and selfish. Belle's putting so many people in danger to get away from Rumple. But she is also a desperate mother-to-be who mostly isolated herself from other people until now because she had chosen to be with Rumple. So now she has to make new connections to get help. It's not like Storybrooke is equipped to help women in an abusive relationship with Dark Magical Beings.

1 hour ago, KAOS Agent said:

Pick something more appropriate for him.

Henry is A&E's self-insert. That's why they keep giving him odd movies to watch.

Also, two of the Script Teases Adam put out for this episode had Hook lines that weren't even in the episode. He was baiting Hook fans with cut scenes in an episode where Hook's only role was for the token "no SQ homo" scene.

• Love 4

The Charmings are still my favorite couple and the beginning montage was great. Too bad they don't have more to do on the show any more.

Of all the despicable things that Gold has done, his making out with EQ (so gross) is the one that turns my stomach. 

If this is what we're getting for a whole season, then I prefer the half season arcs.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 8

This episode was complete filler. If my sister told me that she missed this episode and asked me to fill her in, I would tell her that in the grand scheme of moving the plot forward, NOTHING happened. By the end of this episode, what had changed from what was going on in Storybrooke at the end of the previous episode?

Snow and Charming are still in their shared heart coma so no change there. Aladdin stole the magic lamp from Gold's shop despite being one of the worst thieves ever. Belle tried to find a way to ditch Rumple but once again he went all creepy abusive stalker ex, restraining her both physically and magically (but hey, that's par for the course now, right?). Gold and the Evil Queen made out AGAIN and my eyes still burn. Gold is playing her to try to get her to kill Zelena for him. Hook is still awesome. That was seriously the entire episode. To sum up, the only new things that happened: Aladdin stole the magic lamp and now Gold wants EQ to kill Zelena.

I just can't with Gold anymore. What he is doing to Belle is beyond "I'm an evil little imp with magical powers." He is holding her in Storyrbooke against her will. He refuses to let her make any decisions. He is trying to justify his asshole control freak decisions by telling her he's doing it out of love. He chokes a woman who tried to help Belle escape. This is textbook abuse and it's gross.

So Snow just now realized that EQ was watching them through the mirror next to their bed? Ewwwwwww. I would also like to point out that when Hook, Emma, Regina, and Henry were awkwardly standing around watching Snow talk to Charming, I thought dude, this is why you guys need a bigger place. Or a bedroom with a door.

ITA that not showing Hook shirtless, primping his hair and applying guyliner was a huge missed opportunity!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

Also, this isn't the 80s. And Henry is 12. Pick something more appropriate for him. Do they even have semi-formal dances in middle school? We had dances, but you didn't dress up for them.

Many things are wrong with this show, and this episode, and Henry, but I don't think movies like "The Breakfast Club" are one of them. "Pitch Perfect" has been wildly successful, including among the young'uns (e.g., Teen Choice Awards). I absolutely think it would have led to a surge in kids and teens watching and appreciating "The Breakfast Club" at least, and perhaps other similar movies.

And yes, we did have dances in my middle school (for the 7th and 8th graders; 5th and 6th grade got rollerskating) for which clothes like that would have been appropriate. Not every dance, but about two a year (winter and end of year).

Not that I think the show is still considering Henry only 12. Yes, I know that's what he "should" be, but there's no fooling anyone at this point given the actor's growth spurt/voice. And in yesterday's episode, he had some line about how "he should finish high school first". Certainly sounded like they were implying he's already in it. Henry aging 5 years while everyone else only aged 2 is not even one of the more ridiculous things about the show, and I dislike the character in the first place, so I really don't care what they do with his age.

• Love 1

It's sad that I have to start off every episode post like this, but I repeat: Regina and the Evil Queen are the same person.

What was the point of this episode? That the dragon really sucks at finishing puzzles? Those mirror shards weren't even that tiny! It's not like he got stuck on a 4,000 piece puzzle. Why would three people suddenly be able to finish the mirror instead of one person? And the fact that there were no flashbacks this episode and it was still boring and wheel-spinny makes me worried about future episodes. It's bad when Belle and Zelena were my favorite part of the episode.

Henry should have used the hammer to whack his mom in the knee, grab the heart, and tell the dragon to stop trying to kill Emma and Regina. How did he know smashing the mirror would do anything good anyways? What if that only trapped his moms in the mirror world forever instead?

And what's the point of this season? We've watched over 300 minutes of story and I feel like we haven't learned anything new or exciting. Emma's not going to die, so please stop making Emma worry so much because it's pointless drama. (Glad to know all that progress Hook made with Emma last episode with story time went to waste and she's back to being resigned about her fate again.) Regina also isn't going to die, so there's no drama there. But Zelena, Belle, or Rumple dying? Now those are some wildcards that would cause some interesting drama and suspense. 

I did really enjoy the Snow/Charming split scene, but it seemed so out of place with the tone of the episode. Snow and Charming are the ones who are the most negatively impacted by Regina's sleeping curse, but immediately following the cliffhanger where Snow and Charming discovered the new rules, the writers decided to make an episode where it's all about Emma going off with Regina to another world. Wouldn't this finally be the opportune time to have some Emma/Parents bonding time? Save the obligatory Emma/Regina episode for another time later down the road. Why hasn't Emma tried to TLK her parents awake? What happens if Snow or Charming accidentally fall asleep while the other is still under the curse? Do they both sleep forever? If that's the case, wouldn't it have been much more dramatic if Snow or Charming went with Regina and Emma to the mirror world? Then there would have been more tension and a sense of urgency to leave the mirror world quickly before Snow or Charming fell asleep from exhaustion. What were Snow/Charming even doing the entire time Emma and Regina were gone? Why were Hook and Henry the only ones running around trying to find Emma? 

I feel like I'm watching a bunch of totally different shows crammed into one show right now. And then you have Hook (who has no story at the moment) randomly floating around all these shows trying to be the one person in Storybrooke who has common sense.

I felt like they missed an opportunity for Regina and Emma to hash some things out while they were trapped together. I find it really hard to believe that they're going through all these things caused by someone who was part of Regina just a week or so ago (it looks like several days have gone by, just in this episode), and no one has said a word about that to Regina, no, "Seriously? Is that how you feel about us?" They really are allergic to addressing any of the interpersonal conflict that they wrote into their own story.

Right? If they're going to force Emma and Regina to hang out together in another realm for a few minutes, why not have them hash out some harsh truths? Why wouldn't Emma want to ask Regina about still holding a grudge against her family? Does Regina hold Emma and Snow responsible for unleashing the Evil Queen? Is she upset that her BFFs didn't accept her as she was? Instead, it's yet another Emma/Regina episode, another day where Graham isn't mentioned. The writers added so much inorganic drama between Henry and Hook a few episodes ago just so we could watch them yell at each other for half an episode, but everything's hunky-dory between Emma and Regina? Really? When's the last time those two even had a legitimate argument that lasted longer than 10 seconds? Part of the reason why Belle finally has an interesting story this season is because they're finally allowing her to have a backbone and yell back at Rumple. Why can't they do the same with Emma and Regina?

It's ironic that Regina trapping Sidney in the mirror world was brought up in front of Emma again, yet the whole message of this episode was to prove that Normal Regina was so much better than Evil Queen "Monster" Regina. But Normal Regina trapped Sidney in the mirror world when she wasn't the Evil Queen. Emma totally ignored this too during "Breaking Glass," the last episode Sidney being trapped was mentioned. This is why the whole "Regina is two separate people" concept doesn't work. Where's the division? If Normal Regina trapped Sidney in the mirror world because she wanted to kill Marian in Season 4, why is that suddenly the Evil Queen's fault? Why are we ignoring the lesson the show taught us about Jekyll/Hyde where Normal Regina has the same capacity for darkness as the Evil Queen? Why were Regina and Emma stupid enough to risk both of their lives, when the entire episode was about making sure Henry had one of them alive in the future? Why do I have to ask so many questions 8 episodes into the season?

Edited by Curio
  • Love 10

I liked this episode.  Then again I tend to enjoy episodes that focus on the Charmings,  Emma and Regina.  The fact that Henry has been bateable lately is a plus.  I actually really enjoyed his interactions with The Evil Wueen and that we got some insight into how she raised him.  Yes I understand that Tegina and The Evil Queen are the same person.  Regina and the Dragon said as much.  Hell even The Evil Wieen has been saying as much.  I honestly think Regina coming face to face with the evil part of her "like in a mirror" is an interesting story but then I always liked the character and I know I am in the minority.

Still with Both Henry and Belle being bares left this season and getting a gun storyline I think this might be my favorite storyline since like season 2.

54 minutes ago, Curio said:

And what's the point of this season? We've watched over 300 minutes of story and I feel like we haven't learned anything new or exciting. Emma's not going to die, so please stop making Emma worry so much because it's pointless drama. (Glad to know all that progress Hook made with Emma last episode with story time went to waste and she's back to being resigned about her fate again.) Regina also isn't going to die, so there's no drama there. But Zelena, Belle, or Rumple dying? Now those are some wildcards that would cause some interesting drama and suspense. 

I did really enjoy the Snow/Charming split scene, but it seemed so out of place with the tone of the episode. Snow and Charming are the ones who are the I feel like I'm watching a bunch of totally different shows crammed into one show right now. And then you have Hook (who has no story at the moment) randomly floating around all these shows trying to be the one person in Storybrooke who has common sense

That was so weird, i don't know why the above post wouldn't let me write under what @Curio wrote - anyway - that's the question that I'm asking - what the point of this season is. Every season as insane as it was, had a point. Season 1 was ending the curse, Season 2 was coming home and finding Douchefire, Season 3 was saving Henry from his utter stupidity and the consequences of that/stopping Zelena, Season 4 was finding out that Emma could have had a family, but the Snow Queen was Psycho, and then ultimately went back home with Elsa/Finding out what the Author is/was, and strapping it to Henry for whatever dumbass reason - Season 5 was the pathetically written Dark One and Underworld, and...

Now... here we are, thinking Emma is going to die? (and she's not) and Regina is good because she took the Evil out of her (no she's not), And Belle deserves a Mulligan when she basically hints at every scene "You're a Monster just be brave..." and I'll come back, or something (sorry that's just the vibe I get). Like what's the point. Who is running the show here (like in the show). by Episode 8, we generally have an idea of the lay of the land, even if it's stupid we know.. 

This season it's just... Star Trek Season 7. Throw crap at the wall, and hope it sticks. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 3