Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: I Held Her Hand

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Lt. Casey is unable to rescue a woman who becomes trapped inside her burning greystone, prompting him and Lt. Severide to butt heads over the husband's role in the tragedy. Herrmann is on a mission to catch a mystery tagger that keeps targeting their firehouse and Boden gets a surprise visitor. Meanwhile, Dawson and Brett respond to a 16-year-old boy who was injured during a romantic homecoming proposal.

20+ year old blonde showing up to a high school dance with a 16 year old.  Nope, that won't raise any eyebrows.

Alternate ending to the tagger story:  He's out the door, meets up with his friends, and tells them, "Not only did I get away with the tag, I stole this tee shirt from them.  Let's do it again."

Mouch and Brett would have to have been extremely foolish to use CFD computers to write their story.  If, however, they used their personal laptops, the brass wouldn't have much of a case, even if done on company time and using the copier.  Remember the episode where Connie used the oven and house to make her Christmas ornaments or whatever for personal profit, and no one said a thing?  Unless the text specifically identified them as CFD employees or used actual names, they could push back on that one.  Dennis Smith did exactly the same thing on FDNY.  But anyway, the story has concluded.

I can't believe Gabby didn't leap in and do the arson investigation.  You're slipping, writers.

• Love 1

20+ year old blonde showing up to a high school dance with a 16 year old.  Nope, that won't raise any eyebrows.

Yes, there was so much wrong with that. Still it was great television and satisfied a lot of our "nerd revenge" fantasies.

Mouch and Brett would have to have been extremely foolish to use CFD computers to write their story.  If, however, they used their personal laptops, the brass wouldn't have much of a case, even if done on company time and using the copier. Remember the episode where Connie used the oven and house to make her Christmas ornaments or whatever for personal profit, and no one said a thing?

I bet the lines aren't as clear as at my 9 to 5 jobs and to what acceptable and what's not. It seems like several of them have run their businesses out of the station. What else are they supposed to do with 24 hours? I wondered if the issue was more a morals clause or something similar about not tarnishing the name of the department. I loved Trudy's impromptu book club.

I can't believe Gabby didn't leap in and do the arson investigation. 

I can't believe that Gabby and Casey were both hanging out at the bar with a small child at home.

• Love 2

I thought this was a pretty good episode overall, really. That scene where Casey has to watch that woman burn to death right in front of him was pretty brutal stuff. And if they have to create friction and drama between the characters, I much prefer they do so utilizing these fire and rescue scenes than bullshit like the Alderman stuff or Lewis. Minimal Gabby this week, always a good thing when the stories don't revolve around her.

I liked the part where they were all trying to figure out what the graffiti said because I have the exact same problem. I see graffiti like that and it drives me crazy because I can't figure out what the words are supposed to be. But what did Herrmann hope to accomplish by camping out all night right in front of the station? They sure weren't going to catch whoever did the tagging by sitting there and scaring him off. And how did he manage to re-spray that graffiti without anyone seeing him? Aren't there other people working other shifts? Aren't there any surveillance cameras?

The "prom fail" thing was kind of sweet without being overly contrived.

I'm not sure why Mouch and Shay have to kill their book. They can just change the location to another state or something and it wouldn't reflect specifically on Chicago. They can publish under an assumed name, too. Granted, the cat's out of the bag now but if they change the title or something would their bosses ever find out they published the book anyway?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Boden or the other chief said the manuscript was found on the copier.  It wasn't clear who gave it to the chief.

I'm sure it was Connie who found the manuscript and gave it to Boden. She had that cunning look in her eyes.:)

But they all covered for and even helped Connie make her stupid Christmas ornaments for a sale, totally on House time, when Connie had been expressly forbidden to use House time to make them--last year, discussed here in a couple of posts: 

so if Connie turned in Brett and Mouch for using the House copy machine on House time, either we are seeing a new and ungrateful side to her character OR the writers are very sloppy with continuity. Or both.

• Love 2

I agree with the others about the Brett/Mouch/Connie storyline.  If Connie ratted them out, they should have ratted her out for her Christmas ornaments.  And why couldn't they change the name of the book and publish it under an alias?  Dumb! Hopefully, that storyline is wrapped up now.

Nice to see a plot with Casey and Severide.  I wonder if the wife was trying to kill the husband instead of the other way around? 

No Gabby/Louie drama - always a plus.  And no Stella crap.  Even better! And no political Casey stuff - YAY!

How did Donna know the person in the car was watching HER house?  He wasn't sitting in his car directly in front of it?  And if she was so scared for 2 hours, why didn't she call the cops?  I noticed they changed the stepson's name from Jimmy to James so not to be confused with poor Jimmy Borelli who is now basically dead to house 51.  

Hermann, Hermann, Hermann...Did Cruz's gang banger "friend" not teach you anything?  Don't be surprised when you get stabbed again for trying to help a thug out! 

What's up with Otis being part of the ladies' book club?