Type keyword(s) to search

What Not To Wear: B&B Style

• Start Topic

Do these people really work at a fashion house? This is the place to channel your inner "Joan Ranger" (RIP) and let it rip on the fashion, hair and makeup faux pas.

Edited by grisgris

I don't know what this get-up is or where it was worn. The defiant expression on HT's face seems to just invite, "Plastic surgery, ME? Off with your head!" Her body looks OK here, but the dress does it no favors.  She has a short torso (so do I) so the ruching at the hips and waist, cut her body in half. I don't understand how fabric can be ill-fitting and drapey, yet clingy at the same time. The drawstring reminds me of the time I saw Chef Anne Burrell wrap a port roast in caul (white gauzy opaque lining of a pig's intestine with webby connective tissue) before it went into the oven.  I hope the faux fur shrug belongs to the woman behind her, but I don't think so. She long earrings and limp strands add to the overall messy appearance. I can't see her face well enough to tell about the makeup, other than that contour makes her face look extra long. I will say she has awesome toned arms!

Hunter Tylo.jpg

Check out this video. Ridge Forrester, Forrester Creations designer extraordinaire, wearing a plaid vest over a blank tank top (or shirtless tee, hard to say). Does it being from 1994 excuse it? You decide.

Hell, Stephanie and Shiela's bubble-gum pink and purple (respective) powersuits from the same video aged much better.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

Stephanie's pants suit is her signature look -- but that pink is soooo not SF's color.  Ridge's look is very 1994, but it's of the time so I don't hate it.  What I do love though is seeing Ridge -- you know -- the dress designer -- working with a dress form and actually doing something a designer would do.

Lord RM was so, so pretty and, at least in this scene, not nearly a wooden as he sometimes was.

And Stephanie was speaking the honest truth here.  Ridge and Brooke never really did make each other happy.  Too much tortured angst over DESTINY -- and 22 years later BRidge still don't make each other happy and Brooke needs someone, almost anyone, other than Ridge.

Stephanie may have been Satanie most of the time, but she was never wrong that BRidge didn't belong together

• Love 3

Ah, hell ... who cares? Look at those biceps and chest!  The greasy schlep we're stuck with today makes me weep in comparison.

Sheila was definitely going for the "Ally McBeal" look with the short-skirt suit.  I had a suit that color back in the '90s.

I totally agree. That pink wasn't doing SF any favors.

This is fun!

• Love 3

That's keeping with fashion cycles. The '90s trends have made a resurgence and Brooke's outfit is right along the lines of stuff Caroline and Ivy had been wearing not too long ago. Man, KKL has a hot body on her!

• Love 2

This was Ronn Moss after being off the show for two years, shortly after TK took over. I thought the mullet he sported was horrid, but that man bun!

....and I don't want think about the color scheme here

And here's a recent interview posted about three months ago, where the sideburns make him look like my 6th grade teacher

Oh, Ronn. Don't ever change. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Funny enough, wardrobe re-used Stephanie's pink suit a year later. And Brooke's outfit and haircut def scream mid-90s.

All I can look at is  Kkl' s Abs. Damn! Life is not fairrr

Ugh, the Hilary Clinton haircut is not working for KKL. :(

It looked much better in that clip than it does in this one. Brooke at her most Hilary-esque! The hair and suit. I guess she was really trying to be taken seriously a Forrester CEO or something. For what it's worth, I always though Taylor's hairstyle here was among her best, and she looked really, really good.

Edited by AndySmith

KKL could rock a garbage bag, but in this case girlfriend needs to run for the nearest bag of Hefty lawn and leaf.  Obviously, trying to follow the trend of illusion netting, this just doesn't work. Satin is difficult to wear no matter what kind of shape you're in and the way the black fabric is draped around the contours of her body isn't flattering.  (Which is a feat of it's own considering what amazing shape she's in.) Note the unfortunate placement of one of the black floral embellishments right over the va-jay-jay.  Coupled with the limp pseudo-Grecian goddess hair, the get-up screams 1990's Vegas brothel.

katherine-kelly-lang-daytime-emmys-451071496-419x613.jpg

• Love 2

Not the best look for her, no, but damn if KKL hasn't aged well.

Earlier I posted what I thought was a good look for Taylor...well, this one here is not that good. I realize some 80s fashion trends continued into the early 90s, and hair was still big (you can see Lauren with her hair piled on her head too in the clip), but I'm surprised Brooke didn't check to see if there were any birds in that nest on Taylor's head.

Also, we get Sheila's dream of her wedding to Eric, and she dreamed Eric would design for her a powersuit/wedding dress hybrid. With the world's pouffiest hat. Ok then, Sheila. Carry on.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think this answers the boob job question. At first I thought this was taken at some Halloween event, but I see from the background loud and clear that it was the Daytime Emmys (wondering if it was the same one as KKL above.) Fishnet stockings as bodice and sleeves, check. Plunging neckline, check. Peep-toe strappy sandals, check.  "Y" necklace, check. She hit all of the trends in one spot, and the Cruella DeVille inspired skirt and train was a nice afterthought. I will say that her hair and makeup looked good.  If Nicole had shown up to the FC Halloween party in this, instead of her planned demure nurse costume, she would have been the one on the plane to Hawaii. No. Knowing Zende, they would have been drinking virgin pina coladas and eating cheap stale convenience store macadamia nuts in Brooke's kitchen.

reign-edwards-2016-daytime-emmy-awards-in-los-angeles-3.jpg

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

I loved Brooke's hair when it was short. 

4ec4a78879b344f2255f546503334131.jpg

Sorry so big but my goodness, she was stunning (still is - but I'm SICK of the crayon yellow limp locks on her head).

That cut is super cute and flatters her face.  Speaking of limp locks, back in the day, Amber sported butter colored limp hair complete with red clown lipstick on Y&R. I got second hand embarrassment looking at her.

• Love 6

B&B wins award at Monte Carlo TV Festival 2016

ClGDQeyWMAAVKzS.jpg

SC with his hands jammed in pockets -- Stop It! -- Not wearing tuxedo,like the other gentlemen, with his usual scroungy grooming. His pose for the camera is too informal for the publicity photo.

Bell, John McCook, and Darin Brooks impeccably dressed and groomed for a formal event.

KKL is wearing an attractive gown with full skirt and embellished neckline and cuffs. Too bad it wasn't in a rich jewel color to set herself off from the dark, neutral background and men in tuxedos. 

RS's dress is difficult to see -- It's satin, and that stuff wrinkles like the Devil. I don't care for the up-do. 

JMW is wearing her best dress of the festival, but in the desire to promote the sexxxy rolled up the lining (which looks lumpy and distorts the line of the fabric) to show more skin under the illusion lace. The bodice of the dress doesn't have much support. Her hair needs to be sleeked away from her face, not draped in hanks down her jawline. The below photo link can be enlarged for a closer look at JMWs dress.

http://celebsla.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/jacqueline-macinnes-wood-at-the-monte-carlo-television-festival-closing-ceremony-06-16-2016-2.jpg

• Love 2

I think KKL looks especially matronly, as well as does RS. That dress is unflattering on KKL and both ladies need to be dressed in more colorful hues.  Was JMW supposed to be the stand-out or something? All of the ladies hair isn't working.  Is it really humid in Monte Carlo or something? There seems to be a pattern here of trying to keep the hair under control.

I give best-dressed here to Darin Brooks.

• Love 2

I didn't think KKLs dress was bad. I like the embellished portrait collar. I couldn't find another picture of her in the dress, but I think a same fabric belt with a rhinestone buckle would define her waist well. On Show they occasionally bury her waist in fabric and blousey tops. It obliterates her lovely figure. 

I think they throw JMW up front because she plays the sexxxy ingenue shtick well. And like a cheap paint job on a car, looks good from a distance. 

Darin looks very sharp in the monochrome black tux -- Better than anything he wears on B&B. JMcC and Bell made a good showing as well.

• Love 1

Wow! I almost didn't recognize KKL.  Look at the "social class" styling; Caroline in the power suit and mile-high hair; Brooke with a frumpy cotton blouse and lank hair.  Come to think of it, lowlights in that particular hue would work well for modern-day KKL.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, grisgris said:

Wow! I almost didn't recognize KKL.  Look at the "social class" styling; Caroline in the power suit and mile-high hair; Brooke with a frumpy cotton blouse and lank hair.  Come to think of it, lowlights in that particular hue would work well for modern-day KKL.

Of all the things that took adjusting to watching those old episodes on YouTube, Brooke's more casual look threw me the most. By the time I started following this show, she'd been CEO for a while. I don't think I'd ever seen the character in jeans until the retro episodes.

In hindsight, Caroline was almost like a younger Stephanie. The hairstyle, the powersuits, the rich background...it does paint Ridge and Thorne's pursuit of her in a different light.

Look at the "social class" styling

The wardrobe department definitely did a good job back then of reminding us of where both Brooke and Caroline came from via their style and clothing, that's for sure.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AndySmith said:

In hindsight, Caroline was almost like a younger Stephanie. The hairstyle, the powersuits, the rich background...it does paint Ridge and Thorne's pursuit of her in a different light.

The wardrobe department definitely did a good job back then of reminding us of where both Brooke and Caroline came from via their style and clothing, that's for sure.

On a tangent to this, that's part of the reason that most of the haves and have-nots storylines have fallen incredibly flat in recent years. The have-nots become the haves way too damn quickly. Maya came on this show right around the time Steffy had Liam's mini eggo in her toaster, which wasn't even four years ago. She was homeless for like a week before getting with Rick, getting involved with that now forgotten Room 8 success, lead Forrester model and all but instant acceptance when she came out as trans and all that is on top of a horrendously entitled attitude tied only by Steffy.

Meanwhile, it was six years before Brooke became CEO of FC, and that was only after finding out about theForresters' plan to trick her outta royalties for Belief--you know, something SHE created and had every right to own. Nothing Brooke gained was ever handed down to her--not like the Spencer boys' wealth for having the right sperm donor; Maya hitting it off with the right guy; Steffy, Thomas, and Rick's (and eventually RJ I'm sure) ever rotating positions in the company and Hope's entirely unwarranted worship by everyone for existing.

I've never been a fan of Brooke because her idiocy with men is just..I can't even. But in the early days, she was far more rounded than any given character on the show today.

• Love 2

I always like Brooke myself, and I thought she was rather well-rounded up until the mid-2000s. Her idiocy with men for me began when she got knocked up by Deacon.

Here is a another example of the styling of characters helping the story. Brooke really looks like a have-not here. These days, the haves and the have-nots look almost indistinguishable. Also, the stylists in the 80s really like putting SF in pink, for some reason.

• Love 2

Feast your eyes on THIS!  I'll confess. It was really difficult to find an unflattering photo of KM. She must have a good stylist, but not in this case.

I was never a fan of the mullet dresses. This wrinkled mess looks like what's in the trash late Christmas morning.  The  odd dropped waistline/pseudo mermaid design doesn't work with the fabric and what's with this trend of having some type of embellishment hitting right in the crotch? I can't tell if that is just unfortunate bunching of the fabric or a badly placed bow.  I get what she was trying to do with the "pop of color" shoes, but they look more like an afterthought than contribute any contrast to the outfit. (That must have been from the year when Pantene had the blue and pink colors of the year and she tried to honor both.) Lastly, what's up with all of the Grecian goddess hairstyles? The tan lines are an added bonus.  Happy Monday! Snark away!

Maya.jpg

• Love 5

That...actually looks like something we would have seen on the catwalk on the show itself, circa late 80s/early 90s. Except of course, you know Ridge or Eric would have thrown in opera gloves. And one or 2 other versions of that same dress, just in different colors.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

Since were we speaking about Donna in another thread ... another satin disaster.  JG has too stunning of a figure to disguised in this drapey disaster. I don't like anything at all about this look -- the color, weird pleat/gather right down the front of the skirt or the jewelry. The overall look is very messy and like it was a hot humid evening. Fail!

Donna.jpg

• Love 2

JG definitely needs to wear dresses that allow for serious foundation garments. The dress she wore for Not-A-Wedding was excellent.

donnas-magenta-dress-neck-cutouts.jpg

She was cinched and Spanxed within an inch of her life. The color was rich and vibrant, working well with her understated makeup, and highlighted medium blonde up-do. The cutout wasn't too tricky or indiscreet for a wedding. JG always carries herself well, with elegant posture and her head upright.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

I read that she used to be a competitive swimmer and that she has an MBA in I think, accounting. So she's smart, too.  There was a clip of her on the CBS B&B page a couple of years ago of her in the pool. Seems like a nice, well-rounded lady who doesn't take herself too seriously . And I agree, she looked stunning at the wedding.

• Love 1

I heard she was an excellent swimmer.  From JG's IMDB biography:

Was on the Franklin & Marshall swim team in college and was an NCAA All-American swimmer in the butterfly competition, placing in the top five nationwide.

So yeah, she was pretty damn good!

• Love 2

From 1995, circa Taylor's first return from the dead. Notable for this thread to see Brooke/KKL without her signature blonde hair. Yay or nay? I kind of like it, actually.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

I agree that Brooke needs darker hair, just not that hue.  If she'd just mix in some golden blonde and maybe darker caramel highlights and lowlights, that would help some.  It would add some dimension instead of that "in your face" one-note yellow.

• Love 1

Further proof that TIIC have spies on these boards!

I present:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_bold_and_the_beautiful/photos/1004502/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-steffy-s-best-hairstyles/

Not only do you get the revolving door of hairstyles but the bonus of the evolution of JMW's cosmetic surgeries over the years. There are a few photos towards the end where she looks quite pretty (probably JMW as herself and not SF) and were obviously taken several years ago. Such a jarring contrast from the plastic horror shown in the new opening credits. Such a shame ... I wonder who/what convinced her that she needed facial "improvements."

• Love 2