Type keyword(s) to search

The Stuff Of Yesteryear: Discontinued Products (Non-Food) You Miss

• Start Topic

On 7/31/2020 at 6:17 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really miss the cream rinse too, especially the VO5 Lemon.   Years ago, I scored what must have been one of the last bottles of Luster Cream shampoo, and I loved it. 

Dumping an entire bottle of cream rinse on your hair, letting it sit for a while, and then rinsing it out was the only way to get of the super hair sprayed Prom hair.   Do they still do Prom hair?   With the teased, and super sprayed updo, with a million hair pins, and after about a week it just had to go.   Cream rinse was the only way to get rid of the hair spray, and allow you to get the teasing combed out, and not end up with ruined hair.   

I loved Kix cereal when I was a kid, then it went away, but a few years ago it was available for a while.   The new version was terrible.   

For the Buf Puff singles, I bought some skin cleaning towelettes that were presoaped, and came in a big container, so you had to put them in a zip lock bag.  I think they were Neutrogena.     

Vermont Country Store still has Lemon Up shampoo and conditioner, and Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific!.   

They still carry Tangee makeup.    They have Mood lipstick too, isn't that the lipcolor that is a wild color in the tube, but changes to a shade just for you?     They have Bosco syrup too.   I loved that stuff, and it tastes better than anything on the market now.  

Ah yes, Bosco syrup. The stuff they used to simulate blood in Psycho.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I want to know where Vermont Country Store gets their inventory. They have candy & snacks that has been discontinued for years!

I found this while Googling. It kind of explains it and shows the actual store in VT too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Bath and Body works had a Juniper shampoo & conditioner I liked. I really love the smell of Juniper.

I loved the smell of juniper in the rain during the 14 years I reared my kids in the high mountain desert of Northern California, but whatever chemicals are used to scent body and cleaning products give me migraines. 

• Useful 1

I am still very bitter that the perfume "Grass" by Gap is no longer made.  Grass was this really super fresh smelling perfume per the description:  "Top notes are Green Leaves and Apple; middle notes are Grass, Cucumber and Water Lily; base notes are Clover and White Musk."  It was unisex and smelled like soap but not soap.  It was lively and sparkly. 

My other favorite discontinued perfume was Calyx by a company called Prescriptive.  Another very light, fresh citrussy perfume.  Per the description: Top notes are Passionfruit, Mango, Guava, Grapefruit, Peach, Apricot, Bergamot, Mint, Cassia, Papaya and Mandarin Orange; middle notes are Lily-of-the-Valley, Melon, Marigold, Freesia, Neroli, Cyclamen, Lily, Orris Root, Jasmine and Rose; base notes are Oakmoss, Musk, Cedar, Vetiver and Sandalwood. -- That feels like a lot because the scent was very light and not at all floral.

• Love 1

Was anyone else obsessed with Esprit clothing (Sweet Baby Jane, Rose Hips, etc.)? In the early ‘80s I met a student from Puerto Rico who wore Esprit. She was so cool, chic, pretty. I bought everything I could afford at the Urban Outfitters in Cambridge, MA.  I wish I had not discarded all of my Esprit. The colors and silhouettes were so happy and fun. I even collected Esprit print ads from magazines. There was a controversial ad of a man ironing the outfit of a woman while she was lying on an ironing board with a huge smile on her face.

I think the Esprit company is struggling even more with the pandemic. 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2017 at 10:18 AM, Qoass said:

I had one of those kits where you squeezed the liquid plastic into a heated mold to create your own toys.  Creepy Crawlers?  Something like that.

yes they were called creepy crawlers    and dang that mold sure got hot!!!    made spiders and worms and  bugs    my brother had a wood burning kit one years....and still around I remember the first year skateboards came out and everyone got one for christmas that year!

• Love 2
On 11/25/2020 at 1:50 PM, DearEvette said:

I am still very bitter that the perfume "Grass" by Gap is no longer made.  Grass was this really super fresh smelling perfume per the description:  "Top notes are Green Leaves and Apple; middle notes are Grass, Cucumber and Water Lily; base notes are Clover and White Musk."  It was unisex and smelled like soap but not soap.  It was lively and sparkly. 

My other favorite discontinued perfume was Calyx by a company called Prescriptive.  Another very light, fresh citrussy perfume.  Per the description: Top notes are Passionfruit, Mango, Guava, Grapefruit, Peach, Apricot, Bergamot, Mint, Cassia, Papaya and Mandarin Orange; middle notes are Lily-of-the-Valley, Melon, Marigold, Freesia, Neroli, Cyclamen, Lily, Orris Root, Jasmine and Rose; base notes are Oakmoss, Musk, Cedar, Vetiver and Sandalwood. -- That feels like a lot because the scent was very light and not at all floral.

I thought Clinique reintroduced Calyx...if you really liked it, you might want to check out the Clinique website.

I remember Grass by Gap!  Try Amazon!

You may like Eau Parfumme Au The Vert by Bulgari - it’s really lovely fresh clean scent.

Reading through this thread was a trip down memory lane that I thoroughly enjoyed. Vermont Country Store does have so many of the things mentioned here and their shipping isn't too expensive!  I've used classic Noxema since I was a teen with acne and it works great for sun burn and as a makeup remover. One perfume I wore back in the day that wasn't mentioned here was Jean Nate. I wore that alot in my teens as well as body sprays in bottles shaped like fruit. I had a green apple one that in hindsight smelled awful! Getting away from perfumes and soaps, in 1995 I was diagnosed with GERD and IBS. I was on prescription Prilosec for months but the side effects were terrible and my doctor took me off of it. I took an otc then that has been discontinued, and oh how I miss it. My 23 yr old son also has gerd\ibs, and I would love for him to try it. It was called Mylanta GelCaps. They still make a Tums like Mylanta gas chewable but it isn't even close. Funny that when Prilosec went from prescription to OTC, the Mylanta GelCaps disappeared. 

• Useful 1

Does anyone know what happened to the Pioneer Woman's jarred sauce? We used to buy at our local grocery store, and Walmart (online) also carried it. Now nothing. Did the PW sell out to a larger company? Or did she just decide to bankrupt that portion of her brand?

On 8/30/2021 at 3:04 AM, MsTree said:

Does anyone know what happened to the Pioneer Woman's jarred sauce? We used to buy at our local grocery store, and Walmart (online) also carried it. Now nothing. Did the PW sell out to a larger company? Or did she just decide to bankrupt that portion of her brand?

I managed to order some of her Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce on Amazon, but her other products were on the dreaded "Add to List". That implies "we'll send it when we get more in stock," but translates to "we don't have any and don't know when we will."

By the way, there is a whole thread in Food devoted to beloved discontinued food products.

I just found this thread and it is like going down memory lane for me too. I LOVED getting the wishbooks at Christmas, not even to necessarily want anything from them but just "shopping!" So fun. We had a woodburning set when I was a kid and I liked that burning smell. Speaking of, I loved Jean Nate Lemon Splash when I was in high school and I have never been able to find anything similar since it was discontinued. Also the talcum powder that I thought was Love's Baby Soft but might have been Blue Jeans. Herbal Essence shampoo was popular then and I couldn't stand the smell!

Who remembers using Coppertone tanning lotion when they "laid out," and it turned your skin orange?

• Love 4
22 hours ago, susannah said:

Herbal Essence shampoo was popular then and I couldn't stand the smell!

I loved my bright green-colored Herbal Essence shampoo as a teenager. I wish I could smell the original formula now just to see if it bothers me now.
I am now so sensitive to fragrances that I get hives if my sheets or clothes even absorb fragrance from a community dryer, or migraines and coughing if I inhale it. In recent years the so-called fragrance-free dryer sheets started giving me hives, and I noticed that they now do have a bit of fragrance, so perhaps they share part of the processing with the scented ones or something. Anyway, I now only use them to de-static my hair after washing.

I may have read that it's the chemicals used to keep the fragrances "fragrant" that are allergens, but who really knows?

As a small child, Dad would bring back from business trips the little hotel soaps carved into flower shapes that gave me hives if I washed my hands with them. So disappointing.

When I was a teen, I occasionally used a fragrance called Tuber Rose that was a sort of semi-solid that came in a little, flat-ish, round container--both the consistency and the container were like lip balms today. I think it was supposed to be Hawaiian? 

I loved my bright green-colored Herbal Essence shampoo as a teenager. I wish I could smell the original formula now just to see if it bothers me now.

I've been using Aveeno Fresh Green Blends, with rosemary, peppermint and cucumber. It smells amazingly like Herbal Essence original.

image.png.6cc31aef9a55fa2bcfcefc497729612f.png

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've been using Aveeno Fresh Green Blends, with rosemary, peppermint and cucumber. It smells amazingly like Herbal Essence original.

image.png.6cc31aef9a55fa2bcfcefc497729612f.png

I'll have to give it a sniff!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When I was a teen, I occasionally used a fragrance called Tuber Rose that was a sort of semi-solid that came in a little, flat-ish, round container--both the consistency and the container were like lip balms today. I think it was supposed to be Hawaiian? 

Coty Sweet Earth perfumes were like that and Tuberose was one of the scents.

https://cotyperfumes.blogspot.com/2013/06/sweet-earth-by-coty-c1972.html

I don't know if the Coty Tuberose is what you used, but I used it myself - I was especially attracted to it because I had read in a biography that it was Dorothy Parker's favorite perfume.  Other than that  I liked the Grass compact the best (grass, gingergrass, and hay).

• Useful 2

I miss those little cube bath salts(?). They were wrapped in foil and each had a different floral scent. I think there were like 5 or 6 in a pack. I lived those things, I always felt fancy when I would use them. I remember being in middle school pretending I was an adult and reading V.C. Andrews. 

• Love 8
On 11/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, callie lee 29 said:

I miss those little cube bath salts(?). They were wrapped in foil and each had a different floral scent. I think there were like 5 or 6 in a pack. I lived those things, I always felt fancy when I would use them. I remember being in middle school pretending I was an adult and reading V.C. Andrews. 

@callie lee 29 these?

On 10/28/2019 at 7:49 PM, theredhead77 said:

I remember my mom used to have these bath things (probably the 80s version of a bath bomb) in a cardboard tray (with a clear plastic lid), all individually wrapped and they all had a different flower scent...

And I did a Google crap shoot and came up with what I was thinking of!

image.png.d1b79577cf8a3d8cc1a15b57856156f7.png

On 10/29/2019 at 11:07 AM, funky-rat said:

My mom had them too.  They were in a box with a matching flower shaped soap for each one.  They weren't fizzy, but you crumbled them and put them in bathwater.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, veronicadubois said:

I am getting pitch forked for this, but I actually miss going out to blockbuster and renting a video. The whole going out, browsing the library, anticipation made it much more fun. I sometimes miss that.

Does your local library maybe still have shelves of DVDs to browse and borrow?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, veronicadubois said:

I am getting pitch forked for this, but I actually miss going out to blockbuster and renting a video. The whole going out, browsing the library, anticipation made it much more fun. I sometimes miss that.

I loved going to the video store. It was always so much fun. There was a video store by my parents house that closed a few years ago, long after Blockbuster disappeared. 

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Does your local library maybe still have shelves of DVDs to browse and borrow?

That's a great idea!

On 10/28/2019 at 7:49 PM, theredhead77 said:

I remember my mom used to have these bath things (probably the 80s version of a bath bomb) in a cardboard tray (with a clear plastic lid), all individually wrapped and they all had a different flower scent...

And I did a Google crap shoot and came up with what I was thinking of!

image.png.d1b79577cf8a3d8cc1a15b57856156f7.png

Quoting myself because I was pet sitting for my neighbor and noticed she had a box of these on her bathroom sink.

• Like 5
On 12/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, veronicadubois said:

I miss it, too. 

The library is a good idea, but we couldn't figure out how to hook the DVD box up for some reason, after getting rid of the cable box, so we no longer watch DVDs.

I miss computers having a DVD drive. This one that I got four years ago, didn't come with one. I have a CD burner that I keep meaning to try with it, because I need to get some pictures off here, and I have a lot on CDs from the past, that I'd like to be able to access again. *missing film cameras, right now, too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I used to have the coolest laserdisc (ask your parents) store near me for several years, run by a woman who knew movies like the back of her hand.  She had a weekend deal, where if you rented three you could keep them from Friday through Monday for some great price, and we did that pretty much every weekend.  Good times.

I still rent DVDs/Blu-Rays through the monthly Netflix rental service, as they have a good bit of stuff I don't want to buy, just watch once, but it doesn't air/stream anywhere.  The library's collection is nowhere near as comprehensive.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Anela said:

The library is a good idea, but we couldn't figure out how to hook the DVD box up for some reason, after getting rid of the cable box, so we no longer watch DVDs.

Just off the top of Google's head:    target.com/p/lg-8x-portable-external-dvd-rw-drive-black-sp80/-/A-15701034

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I still rent DVDs/Blu-Rays through the monthly Netflix rental service, as they have a good bit of stuff I don't want to buy, just watch once, but it doesn't air/stream anywhere.  The library's collection is nowhere near as comprehensive.

I wondered if that was still a thing. My oldest daughter signed up with the Netflix DVD lending service back in 1999 or possibly a year later: wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix#Launch_as_a_mail-based_rental_business_(1997–2006)

Now we use their streaming service. She pays for it. I keep trying to get her to let me pay alternate years, but she is offended at the idea of me giving her money, even in cases like this. Oh well. she floved the plush pink penguin pj bottoms I sent her this year.

• Like 1
On 12/24/2022 at 3:47 PM, Anela said:

I miss it, too. 

I miss computers having a DVD drive. This one that I got four years ago, didn't come with one. I have a CD burner that I keep meaning to try with it, because I need to get some pictures off here, and I have a lot on CDs from the past, that I'd like to be able to access again. *missing film cameras, right now, too. 

I couldn’t connect a dvd player to my tv either. I use my old laptop with dvd drive and I have a portable dvd player too.

• Like 1

I miss it, too. 

The tv/dvd combo TVs are still sold. I might buy one next year. Wish I had a bigger apartment lol.

C2A33627-8DE0-4446-B3EA-7865BCBF4F2E.jpeg

• Useful 3

we couldn't figure out how to hook the DVD box up for some reason

Do you still need help with this? If so, I think there is a tech forum here. Or, at the very least, post photos of the back of your TV in chit-chat and I bet someone could walk you through it.

@shapeshifter- Netflix is finally going to enforce the anti-password sharing part of their TOS. It's supposed to roll out early next year. No judgement about sharing (I use my mom's password), just a heads-up about this coming change.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I still use the Netflix DVD service, but I miss the more obscure titles it used to carry. It was a shock to see my queue abruptly reduced by more than half.😪

That's why I dropped it earlier this year. It was getting pricier yet they kept reducing the titles they carried.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I still use the Netflix DVD service, but I miss the more obscure titles it used to carry. It was a shock to see my queue abruptly reduced by more than half.😪

Uh-oh; I haven't looked in a while (I just send back one disc and get the next one, and rarely access my list to add something new or see if I want to re-order what's in the pipeline), so I don't know if this is true of my selections, too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Uh-oh; I haven't looked in a while (I just send back one disc and get the next one, and rarely access my list to add something new or see if I want to re-order what's in the pipeline), so I don't know if this is true of my selections, too. 

You and my DC friend may be the last disc subscribers left standing lol. I finally gave it up when I realized I was wasting money. I often wasn’t ready to watch the movie I had ordered and they were sitting around. It’s cheaper for me to pay a one time rental fee on Prime every so often if I want to watch something not available for a free stream somewhere. 

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love the back belt ones!

image.png.9422200e45d9ac204b1d15327c6670fc.png

Two things.

1. I must have been doing too much advancd r&d on a future in legal cannabis merchandising (I was), because I don't remember this brand. At all.
  2. One had better have a high and tight posterior to carry off ^that style.
  • Like 2

http://www.inthe70s.com/clothes/hashjeans0.shtml

They were made in Canada.  I lived in ND near the border when they were popular. People in the above link talk about being in CA, MT, AK and ND and wearing/buying them.  Maybe Hash jeans were a regional thing.  

Google doesn't bring up much info. I saw one site that said a Canadian company was going to reintroduce them in a newer version that sounds nothing like the old style. :( 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

http://www.inthe70s.com/clothes/hashjeans0.shtml

They were made in Canada.  I lived in ND near the border when they were popular. People in the above link talk about being in CA, MT, AK and ND and wearing/buying them.  Maybe Hash jeans were a regional thing.  

Google doesn't bring up much info. I saw one site that said a Canadian company was going to reintroduce them in a newer version that sounds nothing like the old style. :( 

Okay, I wondered if maybe they weren't nationwide (US). I'm in the Great Lakes/Chicago-ish area, and don't remember them at all.

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Okay, I wondered if maybe they weren't nationwide (US). I'm in the Great Lakes/Chicago-ish area, and don't remember them at all.

In one of the forums, someone said they bought them at a Macys in NY.  Another mentioned being a buyer for a chain, going on buying trips to Canada, buying thousands and still not being able to keep up with demand.

• Useful 1
On 10/30/2021 at 8:43 AM, peacheslatour said:

I loved my bright green-colored Herbal Essence shampoo as a teenager. I wish I could smell the original formula now just to see if it bothers me now.

I googled it the other day and some scientist or executive or someone from the company said they still get requests to bring back the Original Herbal Essence shampoo. My question is why aren’t they bringing it back? Everyone remembers it and I’m sure younger people would love it too. Does anyone know how to start an on-line petition? 

• Like 1