Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GreekGeek

Discontinued Products (Non-Food) You Miss

Does anybody else remember Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap? I swear if not for Google I would have thought I'd imagined it.  But it's real!

I had forgotten about that soap until you mentioned it.  I don't think I ever had any, but either my brother or my sister got some of them as gifts.

Does anyone remember Coty's Sweet Earth solid perfume trios?  I know I had some of the fragrances, but I can't remember which ones.  Probably the one with the sandlewood scent (I vaguely remember burning a lot of sandlewood incense in my youth), but these days I would probably want the herbal or the 'grassy' ones.  http://www.favosity.com/blog/70s-coty-sweet-earth-solid-fragrance-set

• Like 5

I don't remember those, but I remember Avon's Sweet Honesty and Blue Jeans perfumes from the same period.  My best friend had them and I was so jealous because I was not allowed to wear perfume yet.

To my surprise, Sweet Honesty is still available. 

My best friend also had many pair of Ditto jeans which was also a source for my envy.

It didn't help that she looked like Michelle Pfeiffer's prettier younger sister.

• Like 3

I had so many bottles od Sweet Honesty because my grandmother was a big Avon customer. I wore it and liked it, but I suspect I would hate it now.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 8:39 AM, Qoass said:

Does anybody else remember Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap? I swear if not for Google I would have thought I'd imagined it.  But it's real!

I remember those! I think I had the bear. I wish I could remember the toy that came with it.

• Like 1

I don't remember Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap, but I do remember Crazy Foam (the 1960s version).  Is Love's Baby Soft still around? I get a headache just thinking about it, it smelled so disgustingly sweet.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, harrie said:

Is Love's Baby Soft still around?

Yes.

Loves Baby Soft Body Mist is a tradition of sweet scents passed down from generation to generation for decades. Its floral baby powder fragrance will remind you of your first kiss, the first blush of love you ever felt and all the sweet memories of childhood.

• Like 3

I had the Hyacinth, Honeysuckle, and Ylang Ylang trio and whenever I pass a honeysuckle it brings me right back to freshman year. By the same token, I think Sweet Honesty would now smell to me like hormones and desperation.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2017 at 10:32 PM, BooksRule said:

Does anyone remember Coty's Sweet Earth solid perfume trios?  I know I had some of the fragrances, but I can't remember which ones.  Probably the one with the sandlewood scent (I vaguely remember burning a lot of sandlewood incense in my youth), but these days I would probably want the herbal or the 'grassy' ones.

My dad bought me the one mentioned in the post right above me when I was a little girl and I still have it. I also still have my two bottles of Love's Fresh Lemon which I liked so much more than the Baby Soft. They still smell good too, believe it or not. To get back to the topic, I miss every 70's shampoo mentioned in this thread. I even miss the cheap crap my mom used to buy from K-Mart in these giant bottles (even though back then I'd complain that she didn't buy me Body On Tap). I tried googling but I can't remember the name of it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, seahag50 said:

sweetheart soap....I loved that stuff....tigress perfume...all the others mentioned were from when I was a grown women.....

When I was young, it was Maja soap - black, red & gold exotic wrapping, and a scent made to drive a young girl wild.

I remember using novelty pens in school during the early to mid-1970s that were fuzzy and had scented ink (flowery, I think, not fruity).  They were kind of furry, I guess (rather than fuzzy) and I know I had a green one and a purple one.  The ink was color-coordinated, too.  The green pen had green ink, the purple one, purple, and so on (and so forth and what have you). I've tried in vain to find evidence that these existed, but haven't been able to find anything online, but does anyone else remember using these novelty pens in the early to mid-1970s?  I might be mixing two pens (as far as the scented ink is concerned), but I know I had the furry pens with colored ink.  They weren't big pens, though. Just regular ball-point size.  I loved those things and remember writing many a note in green or purple to pass to friends in class. 

Another school item I remember buying at the 'school store' in elementary school (would have been in the late 1960s) were erasers that looked like small rectangles of hardened Jell-o.  They were the size of the regular rectangular pink erasers, but were kind of see-though like Jell-o and were in different colors (maybe I'm wrong about the colors, but I seem to remember either dark pink or red).  

Anyone else remember these?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Another school item I remember buying at the 'school store' in elementary school (would have been in the late 1960s) were erasers that looked like small rectangles of hardened Jell-o.  They were the size of the regular rectangular pink erasers, but were kind of see-though like Jell-o and were in different colors (maybe I'm wrong about the colors, but I seem to remember either dark pink or red).  

Anyone else remember these?

Child of the 80s here. I remember clear erasers, and cute erasers. We used to collect them. A huge treat was to get a Sanrio eraser.

il_340x270.956892178_byz6.jpg  36f5f840f5d5f4e0ac216b905b875dbe--eraser

• Like 3

On 12/31/2017 at 12:05 AM, BooksRule said:

I remember using novelty pens in school during the early to mid-1970s that were fuzzy and had scented ink (flowery, I think, not fruity). They were kind of furry, I guess (rather than fuzzy) and I know I had a green one and a purple one. The ink was color-coordinated, too. The green pen had green ink, the purple one purple, and so on.

I remember fruity Mr. Sketch Scented Markers, but they don’t fit this forum because they’re back. And BIC 4-color pens are still a thing.

I also remember fuzzy pencil toppers with googly eyes and rubbing the pencil between my palms to make the hair even crazier.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2018 at 3:35 PM, editorgrrl said:

I remember fruity Mr. Sketch Scented Markers, but they don’t fit this forum because they’re back. And BIC 4-color pens are still a thing.

I also remember fuzzy pencil toppers with googly eyes and rubbing the pencil between my palms to make the hair even crazier.

I think I was addicted to the scent strawberry Mr. Sketch marker.  

On 12/18/2017 at 7:10 PM, walnutqueen said:

When I was young, it was Maja soap - black, red & gold exotic wrapping, and a scent made to drive a young girl wild.

On 12/18/2017 at 6:53 PM, seahag50 said:

.tigress perfume...

You can still get these at the Vermont Country Store. Not cheap, though.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

You can still get these at the Vermont Country Store. Not cheap, though.

I'm askeered to try it now, knowing that my younger proclivities & fantasies were sadly misplaced.  I'd rather live with the perfect memories ...  ;-)

• Like 3

Technically this isn't a product, but I so miss the old "Sears Wishbook" full of toys that we could not afford or didn't have room for in the piddlyass small house I grew up in.  I would spend hours just staring at the toys and games that I knew I would never have, but have often wondered what it would have been like to play with.  

Of course, often times thinking of playing with a game or toy was far superior to owning the game or toy.  I can't tell you the number of times that I had gotten a game/toy that bored me to tears.

On a different subject entirely, I do remember the "Water Wiggle".  That think used to whip around unpredictably and often times painfully so.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, Moose135 said:

Lawn darts were much larger than the darts you throw at a dart board - would throw them up into the air, the heavy, sharp, metal tip would cause it to come down like a missile, with the goal being to have it land in a target (usually a plastic hoop) on the grass.  If you stand near the target, you can get hit.  And yes, that's insane.

jarts.jpg

As a child, I wanted those so badly.  My neighbors had them.    My parents wouldn't let me have them.  We did have a couple of horseshoe pits.   I can't imagine getting hit with a horseshoe is any bed of roses either.  Especially if they are still attached to the horse.

At one point in time my parents had thought about buying me a boomerang, they thought better of it.  I totally get that. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Technically this isn't a product, but I so miss the old "Sears Wishbook" full of toys that we could not afford or didn't have room for in the piddlyass small house I grew up in.  I would spend hours just staring at the toys and games that I knew I would never have, but have often wondered what it would have been like to play with.  

Then you'll probably like this site Wishbook.web, they're an online archive of old wishbooks & catalogs.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Wasn’t Water Wiggle eventually banned?

The Googlesphere tells me one version was banned in 1978. I was born in 77 and I distinctly recall playing with one as a kid so I'm thinking a new one was released and discontinued.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1978/recall-of-wham-o-water-wiggle-toy

Here are some more dangerous, discontinued toys

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22162/7-dangerous-toys-kids-today-are-missing-out

• Like 2

18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

but I so miss the old "Sears Wishbook"

Although we have all been pushed in recent years to the less satisfying form of catalog shopping, online shopping.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Speaking of dangerous and discontinued toys did anyone else have either of these?

285bdc557b2f09e9302307a0a69f7c02.jpg

This is the one.  Of course it is long gone now, in the garbage.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 7:10 PM, walnutqueen said:

My mom loved that soap! She also wore Arpege perfume. I miss my mom.

I would love to see "Happy Face" facial cleanser return. That stuff was great. Also, Yardley's "Veil of Iris" scent in the '60s. They also had Rose and some other, but the Iris smelled just like irises. Sigh.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, Ms Lark said:

My mom loved that soap! She also wore Arpege perfume. I miss my mom.

I would love to see "Happy Face" facial cleanser return. That stuff was great. Also, Yardley's "Veil of Iris" scent in the '60s. They also had Rose and some other, but the Iris smelled just like irises. Sigh.

Hi, I'm a florist and I don't recall Iris smelling like anything.

• Sad 1

I'm so old that I can remember when Frito-Lay put a Frito Bandito eraser in every box of luncheon sized Frito bags.  The erasers, along with the advertising jingle ("Aye, yi, yi, yi, I am the Frito Bandito...."), are no longer PC.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

There are many varieties of iris that are fragrant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

There are many varieties of iris that are fragrant.

Actually there is. There is one variety of bearded iris that smells like black licorice. 🤔

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, auntlada said:

I loved the Sears Wishbook. My letters to Santa used to include page numbers.

I spent weeks pouring over the Wishbook, marking what I wanted, reviewing, unmarking (we didn't have a lot of money so I would narrow my list down to what I really wanted before handing over my final revision of my Christmas list. It is one of my favorite memories of childhood. It was just so much more satisfying than scrolling through amazon making my list. lol

• Like 5

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wow. Whenever I see irises blooming (tis the season), I stop for a sniff! The bearded irises have a beautiful scent that is exhilarating! Kind of lemony something. Unlike anything else and soooo lovely. Not licorice-scented at all. You may be working with hybrids or the smaller irises?

7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

There are many varieties of iris that are fragrant

Yep. .

• Like 1

There is also a difference between a flower scent and a fragrance scent or note. The iris scent isn't from the flower but the root and is a tedious process. Most run of the mill products are synthetic. It has been described as earthy, velvety. It is the most popular note in men and women's perfume. There would be no Chanel No.5 without it. It is also used in the making of some gin liquors.

• Useful 1

I still miss coconut NuSoft fabric softener, and that's from probably 45 years ago!  Also the first product that I liked and used regularly that was discontinued.

On 9/9/2017 at 6:13 PM, harrie said:

I don't remember Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap, but I do remember Crazy Foam (the 1960s version).  Is Love's Baby Soft still around? I get a headache just thinking about it, it smelled so disgustingly sweet.

Aw I still like it. It takes me back to childhood, so powdery and soft. As a little girl I remember seeing it and wanting what at the time looked like a fancy, grownup lady's bottle of perfume. :) 

• Like 1

Citre Shine shampoo. I used to buy a big bottle of it at Walmart in like the late 90s early 2000s. It left my hair full of volume and so shiny, I used to get compliments on it. 

42 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Citre Shine shampoo. I used to buy a big bottle of it at Walmart in like the late 90s early 2000s. It left my hair full of volume and so shiny, I used to get compliments on it. 

An Amazon seller still has it! 🙂

• Like 3