Type keyword(s) to search

The Stuff Of Yesteryear: Discontinued Products (Non-Food) You Miss

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, rcc said:

I remembered that. I just looked this up over at Amazon and they are selling it for $89.00 for 7.5 oz. Wow! That is way too expensive IMO.

Yuppers - and YIKES!  The Jergens stuff was less than $5 at Walmart.  :-(

Edited by walnutqueen
On 4/16/2017 at 3:23 PM, walnutqueen said:

Dang, I could swear I posted this already, but my brain cells & vision are fried, so here goes: Jergens Soft Shimmer body lotion.  It had little flecks of gold that would sparkle in the sunlight, and I LIVED for it.  Now I can't find a single affordable body butter or lotion with the "golden touch".  :-(

If you have a Lush near you, go in and sample their solid body tints.

A quick swipe of our cocoa butter-based tints will give you a subtle hint of color or shimmery glitter, evening out your skin tone for a beautiful glow.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

If you have a Lush near you, go in and sample their solid body tints.

Thanks, @editorgrrl.  Not really wanting any kind of tint (not even a "subtle" one, just a everyday colorless moisturizing body lotion with the gold flecks).  Also, $8 for one ounce is still out of my poverty league.   (DAMN you, Jergens!)   :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
36 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Thanks, @editorgrrl.  Not really wanting any kind of tint (not even a "subtle" one, just a everyday colorless moisturizing body lotion with the gold flecks).  Also, $8 for one ounce is still out of my poverty league.   (DAMN you, Jergens!)   :-)

This one has gold flecks in it. People in the reviews recommend mixing it with normal moisturizer though because apparently it has LOTS of gold flecks... could be something? 

• Love 1

There are body shimmer powders that you could dust over your regular lotion.  They cost more, but they'd last longer, too.

I had a minor rash the other day that felt like a sun burn (but wasn't). And I thought about Noxzema. It's not discontinued, but I haven't seen it in a store in ages. Apparently, Procter & Gamble owns it now and it's the Rapunzel they want to lock away in the tower.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ennui said:

There are body shimmer powders that you could dust over your regular lotion.  They cost more, but they'd last longer, too.

I had a minor rash the other day that felt like a sun burn (but wasn't). And I thought about Noxzema. It's not discontinued, but I haven't seen it in a store in ages. Apparently, Procter & Gamble owns it now and it's the Rapunzel they want to lock away in the tower.

The odor of Noxema immediately came back to me when reading your post.  It always felt so cool but was pungent.

• Love 8

I think companies change formulas because they find a cheaper way.  My husband used to shave with Noxzema shave cream. It worked very well with conditioning and worked well with the blade. I loved the scent too.

It's a shame they ruined a good product.

• Love 2

I'll have to find Noxzema in a store and read the ingredients. The reviewer comments don't mesh with the ingredient list online.

I believe that Coty ruined the Philosophy product line by changing the ingredients. It seems silly when they spent an estimated $1B for it.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, ennui said:

I stand corrected -- Procter and Gamble sold Noxzema to Alberto Culver who sold it to Unilever. The comments at the bottom of this article indicate that Unilever has changed the formula and Noxzema no longer performs the same. http://www.joshuakennon.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-noxzema-a-business-tale/

I don't know why companies buy a successful product and then change it. I see it time and time again. 

That's an interesting article.  I've used Noxema to wash my face daily since the stone age, and honestly haven't noticed any difference recently (because really, I'm not very perceptive).  It was hard to find in the store for a short while, but it seems to be back now.  I feel like I should go stock up...just in case.  And check the ingredients...

• Love 2

I decided to log in and post while this is still fresh in my mind (since I'm the one who brought up Noxzema in the first place). I happened to be near a CVS store, so I went investigating. At first, I didn't think they had any Noxzema, but then I saw it on the bottom shelf. I had to sit on the floor to read the ingredients, which of course raised the suspicions of the clerks who asked if I needed help and then lurked near me, arranging things. Ha! Anyway, CVS only had two varieties ('net says there are three). And, the comments in that article are correct. Fragrance is high on the list, and one formula only contains eucalyptus, no menthol, no camphor. The Classic Clean Moisturizing Cream has the three magic ingredients -- camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus, so that is the one I purchased. It does not smell exactly the way I remember, either; it seems milder, not as pungent. Also, this new formula contains soy, which might be a trendy addition.

Interestingly, CVS has their own house brand knock-off of Noxzema. Fragrance is the last ingredient, as in the original. I find myself wondering if they copied the original formula, and might try it next time. 

And that is your skin care report for Cinco de Mayo. While others are out sipping margaritas and munching nachos, I am sitting on the floor of CVS reading Noxzema ingredients. I need to get a life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ennui said:

I decided to log in and post while this is still fresh in my mind (since I'm the one who brought up Noxzema in the first place). I happened to be near a CVS store, so I went investigating. At first, I didn't think they had any Noxzema, but then I saw it on the bottom shelf. I had to sit on the floor to read the ingredients, which of course raised the suspicions of the clerks who asked if I needed help and then lurked near me, arranging things. Ha! Anyway, CVS only had two varieties ('net says there are three). And, the comments in that article are correct. Fragrance is high on the list, and one formula only contains eucalyptus, no menthol, no camphor. The Classic Clean Moisturizing Cream has the three magic ingredients -- camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus, so that is the one I purchased. It does not smell exactly the way I remember, either; it seems milder, not as pungent. Also, this new formula contains soy, which might be a trendy addition.

Interestingly, CVS has their own house brand knock-off of Noxzema. Fragrance is the last ingredient, as in the original. I find myself wondering if they copied the original formula, and might try it next time. 

And that is your skin care report for Cinco de Mayo. While others are out sipping margaritas and munching nachos, I am sitting on the floor of CVS reading Noxzema ingredients. I need to get a life.

You got your ass OUT of the house to a CVS to investigate Noxzema, on a Friday nite, no less, and you have no life?!?  I'm watching my Friday night DVR'd shows, starting with ID Crime, and looking forward to Saturday nite, when all the cool animal/vet shows air.  I had a fleeting notion to look up Noxzema on the interwebs, just for the nostalgia, but it passed.  I am SOOO Six Feet Under, or The Walking Dead in comparison!   :-D

• Love 3

I spent Friday night, 9:40pm at Dollar Ginyul (inside joke pronunciation for General) reading the Noxema label also!  I forgot my glasses so I couldn't see it. 

You were at a dollar store that didn't have a display of reading glasses???

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't typically need reading glasses - just ones for distance.  But as print gets smaller and papers get glossier, I find it harder to read some things.  I've solved that by taking a picture of what I am trying to read with my iPhone and enlarging the text in question.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Who wants to tell @DeLurker she needs reading glasses?

Hee! I think you just did.

Next weekend is the great annual gathering of my classmates from college. I think we've been doing this for over a dozen years now, and wow do I look forward to seeing them. So much fun. This topic reminds me of last year when I would hand my phone to one of them to read, virtually ever one of them held it at arms length or used the zoom to see what it said. This getting old stuff is annoying.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

This topic reminds me of last year when I would hand my phone to one of them to read, virtually ever one of them held it at arms length or used the zoom to see what it said. This getting old stuff is annoying.

As a friend was holding a book further and further away from his face to read it, I commented it might be time for reading glasses.  When he, in good-natured denial, grumbled that he could see just fine, I said, "You look like you're playing an invisible trombone over there."

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

This getting old stuff is annoying.

It beats the alternative...

10 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

we passed around my iPhone with the flashlight on to read the menu.

I've done that a few times myself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Who wants to tell @DeLurker she needs reading glasses?

Since I was legally blind prior to laser eye surgery 10 years ago, I can truthfully say my vision is better than when I was 20!

When I need to start playing the invisible trombone (thanks @Bastet!) with the newspaper, I will acquiesce.

• Love 6

Not a product so much as the packaging:  I had a minor cut yesterday, and went to my medicine cabinet for a Band-Aid, which I still keep in a metal Band-Aid tin.  Granted, it's not that old--probably early 90s or so--but on the rare occasion that I need to buy a new box, I always duly transfer the contents to the tin and ditch the cardboard.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Scott said:

Not a product so much as the packaging:  I had a minor cut yesterday, and went to my medicine cabinet for a Band-Aid, which I still keep in a metal Band-Aid tin.  Granted, it's not that old--probably early 90s or so--but on the rare occasion that I need to buy a new box, I always duly transfer the contents to the tin and ditch the cardboard.

I do that, too.

• Love 6

I wish I'd thought to keep one of those tins. The closest thing I've got is an old metal Sucrets tin that I keep safety pins in. I think my mother gave it to me when I went to college.

• Love 6

I have my parents' old Krispy saltine cracker tin that holds four sleeves of crackers. That thing IS my childhood and I was so happy that my sister didn't want it! I just turned 60 and have seen that tin my entire life. 

• Love 10
On 11/7/2016 at 4:32 AM, GreekGeek said:

Several of my own were shampoos, too. For a time I was able to buy Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific and Beer on Tap at the Vermont Country Store, which specializes in nostalgia products, but even they don't offer these shampoos anymore. 

A minor correction:  It's Body on Tap, made with beer.

When I was in Vermont a while back, I took a day trip to the Vermont Country Store.  I haven't seen one of the catalogs in years but I remembered they had all kinds of cool stuff.  I about died from flashback when I smelled Lemon Up shampoo followed shortly by a whiff of White Shoulders.

I'm scared to think about what would happen if I smelled Wella Balsam.  I had a college roommate who used it, and she'd wash her hair in the evening and wrap it in a towel and sit at her desk and study, with that smell wafting all around our small dorm room.

On 5/25/2017 at 7:49 PM, Scott said:

I have a Band-Aid metal box that I always transfer my Band-Aids to, too.  I also have a Curad box that has no bar code and the price (39 cents for 27 flesh medicated plastic dressings) is printed on the top, as in part of the label, not a price tag or stamped-on price.  It's got to be ancient, and I have no idea why this particular item survived.

• Love 4

I have several things with old-school orange price stickers on them, and the prices always crack me up.

Speaking of discontinued packaging, I miss the glass jars Best Foods mayonnaise used to come in; I have one remaining, but those were so useful -- nice wide mouth and good lid.  And, you know, glass instead of plastic.  Oh, and metal coffee cans to pour grease into. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

At first I was What the hell are you talking about? and then it was Oh Gosh! I remember them! I had completely forgotten that childhood memory of canned pudding! Now I really want some again. SnakPak chocolate. 

Canned pudding and individual canned fruit. None of this refrigerated shit, give me the machine formed metal can fruit in syrup.

• Love 5

Something I can still smell in my mind and dearly miss is the Victoria's Secret Cucumber Melon fragrance---it was green and silky smooth, and that particular flavor of VS lotion/body spray was like *the* defining fragrance of my early-mid 90's high school memories! In the late 90's they eventually stopped selling that fragrance and I never understood why because it was quite popular among all the high school girls I knew. And it felt so hopelessly glamorous and chic as a teenager to waltz into Victoria's Secret and use my PT job money to buy such a seemingly priceless bottle of scented bliss. I'd love to smell it yet again!

• Love 6
On 5/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, auntlada said:

I wish I'd thought to keep one of those tins. The closest thing I've got is an old metal Sucrets tin that I keep safety pins in. I think my mother gave it to me when I went to college.

I re-use Altoids tins. I think they are about the same size.

Speaking of shampoos, I miss the Vidal Sassoon original that smelled like almonds. They still sell shampoo, but it doesn't smell the same. 

• Love 5

Sassoon sold his company and now they have "improved" the shampoo. It neither smells the same or washes your hair the same. Big corporation buys company and changing formulas to make more money never is good for the consumer. I loved that almond smell and loved the shampoo too.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Has Herbal Essences discontinued their cleansing conditioner?  I haven't been able to find it ANYWHERE!!!

I bought some many months ago at Target.  It was the only place I could find it around here.

As far as "improving" scents, Victoria's Secret has totally ruined the Vanilla Lace body lotion.  Texture-wise and scent-wise.  I'm distraught. 

• Love 2

I really miss the Dove foam conditioner and Dove's Cream Oil Rosewood & Cocoa Butter body wash. I just finished the last of the body wash I had stocked up on and I'm on the last can of the conditioner.  Luckily I do have some of Olay's in shower moisturizer; it smells so good.  It seems like they all went away at the same time

• Love 1
On 2017-05-08 at 6:46 PM, DeLurker said:

Since I was legally blind prior to laser eye surgery 10 years ago, I can truthfully say my vision is better than when I was 20!

When I need to start playing the invisible trombone (thanks @Bastet!) with the newspaper, I will acquiesce.

My mom is also legally blind (apparently), but was told that she could not get perfect vision, even with laser surgery (but that was years ago).  She opted to stick with her super thick glasses.  I think she was so used to them that being frameless would be weird to her.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I think she was so used to them that being frameless would be weird to her.

When I first started to wear soft contacts, I was so aware of how vulnerable my eyes felt.  They had been protected by some pretty substantial glasses (which require substantial frames to properly support glasses of that thickness) I kept worrying that something was going to come flying and hit me in the eyes.

• Love 2

Does anybody else remember Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap? I swear if not for Google I would have thought I'd imagined it.  But it's real!

I had forgotten about that soap until you mentioned it.  I don't think I ever had any, but either my brother or my sister got some of them as gifts.

Does anyone remember Coty's Sweet Earth solid perfume trios?  I know I had some of the fragrances, but I can't remember which ones.  Probably the one with the sandlewood scent (I vaguely remember burning a lot of sandlewood incense in my youth), but these days I would probably want the herbal or the 'grassy' ones.  http://www.favosity.com/blog/70s-coty-sweet-earth-solid-fragrance-set

• Love 5

I don't remember those, but I remember Avon's Sweet Honesty and Blue Jeans perfumes from the same period.  My best friend had them and I was so jealous because I was not allowed to wear perfume yet.

To my surprise, Sweet Honesty is still available. 

My best friend also had many pair of Ditto jeans which was also a source for my envy.

It didn't help that she looked like Michelle Pfeiffer's prettier younger sister.

• Love 3