Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E06: Dave Chappelle / A Tribe Called Quest

• Start Topic

I know Bill Murray also couldn't stand Chevy Chase, and they almost (or did, perhaps) come to blows.

Bill pretty much replaced Chevy, but I have heard that you will need to rent out  Madison Square Garden to hold all the people from SNL that can't stand Chevy Chase

• Love 9
5 hours ago, AriAu said:

Bill pretty much replaced Chevy, but I have heard that you will need to rent out  Madison Square Garden to hold all the people from SNL that can't stand Chevy Chase

And that's just the people from SNL... 

• Love 3

UO: I was disgusted by the cold open. I was looking forward to see how they would treat the shock of the election. I couldn't wait to see how they were going to crack me up. That's what I tune in for. Instead, they forking compare it to 911, Sandy Hook, and the Paris shootings. Now THAT is offensive!

• Love 3

UO: I was disgusted by the cold open. I was looking forward to see how they would treat the shock of the election. I couldn't wait to see how they were going to crack me up. That's what I tune in for. Instead, they forking compare it to 911, Sandy Hook, and the Paris shootings. Now THAT is offensive!

While I believe that Trump's election is a terrible black eye for America, I agree that this loss is not comparable to 911, Sandy Hook and Paris. However, in my opinion, that is not what they did.. Paul Simon singing The Boxer, not as a character, but surrounded by New York's finest, this was not. This was Kate doing Hillary, not Kate being Kate.  YMMV.

I also think it reflected the mood of the people in NY, on the staff and a large chunk of their usually liberal audience-they have spent the entire season ripping Trump every chance they could in every way possible so the show's "leanings" were well known and I doubt the show is a favorite of the people that voted for Donald J Trump. They certainly had no trouble trying to make you laugh in the first sketch and Chappelle did not shy away from the topic.

And, do not forget, that they must have had to re-write basically the entire show starting Wednesday am since they likely had many sketches going the other way. By the way, did Chris Rock write (or help write) that first sketch?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AriAu said:

While I believe that Trump's election is a terrible black eye for America, I agree that this loss is not comparable to 911, Sandy Hook and Paris. However, in my opinion, that is not what they did.. Paul Simon singing The Boxer, not as a character, but surrounded by New York's finest, this was not. This was Kate doing Hillary, not Kate being Kate.  YMMV.

I also think it reflected the mood of the people in NY, on the staff and a large chunk of their usually liberal audience-they have spent the entire season ripping Trump every chance they could in every way possible so the show's "leanings" were well known and I doubt the show is a favorite of the people that voted for Donald J Trump. They certainly had no trouble trying to make you laugh in the first sketch and Chappelle did not shy away from the topic.

Also: Leonard Cohen.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, AriAu said:

By the way, did Chris Rock write (or help write) that first sketch?

The election night sketch was written by Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock along with Neal Brennan (co-creator of "Chappelle's Show"), Bryan Tucker (also at one time a "Chappelle's Show" writer), and Colin Jost. 

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMxDFkAA2D_/?taken-by=nealbrennan

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2016 at 1:22 PM, Phishbulb said:

The election night sketch was written by Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock along with Neal Brennan (co-creator of "Chappelle's Show"), Bryan Tucker (also at one time a "Chappelle's Show" writer), and Colin Jost. 

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMxDFkAA2D_/?taken-by=nealbrennan

Very interesting. I suspected that Rock had a hand in the writing since it seemed like a Chappelle idea, but like I said before Rock has always been sharper and more perceptive with regard to the motivations of others with different experiences.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2016 at 5:22 PM, Phishbulb said:

I think as a way of replacing "The Miley Cyrus Show", they should have Vanessa do "The Tiffany Trump Show" (since Vanessa and Miley and Tiffany all kinda resemble each other). Maybe have the premise of it be that Tiffany interviews other members of famous families who are ignored and overlooked, like Frank Stallone or Dave Franco or Casey Affleck. 

Quoting myself here, but you have an opportunity now, SNL writers, SEIZE IT! 

I could see Pete playing Dave Franco maybe, and if he wanted to Alec Baldwin could play his brother Stephen (lol, not sure how well that would go over in their family, but it would be funny)