Type keyword(s) to search

Comfort Food Books: Which Ones Call You Back, Again and Again?

CalamityBoPeep
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

HOLY MOLY do I owe you guys a HUGE thank you ... when I went over to Amazon to find you a link to the book I found out that she wrote a SEQUEL to the original following the next 30 years of the main character's life ... WHO KNEW? I DIDN'T?

Just got it for my Kindle and I suspect it will be the first thing I read on my upcoming vacation! SO THANK YOU! And here is a link to Amazon and the book ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VUI2162/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

ETA: OMG there are SIX sequels ... one for each main character and I guess a few reunions. I know we talk about bingewatching on here a lot but I just bingebought. 

HA! You're very welcome. ;) And thanks for the link!

I've read, and still occasionally reread, Gail Godwin's 'A Mother and Two Daughters' and 'A southern family'. and Nancy Thayer's 'three women by the water's edge' many times.  I've read and reread To Kill a Mockingbird, In cold blood, Marjorie Morningstar, little women, gone with the wind and east of eden so many times I can recite most of them chapter n verse, but am uncertain that i'll ever reread them again, tho possibly.

I was obsessed with a writer named Mary Stolz when I was teen. tho most of her stuff (and she was very prolific) was written long before I was a teenager, it all still resonated with me, and best of all, she wrote about SMART kids. Introverted, introspective, well read girls, like I was. I loved her stuff so much a few years ago I tracked down every single title of her YA (she also wrote children's books)  I could find on ebay and bought them all, and reread them all. Pray Love, Remember was/is my fave, and also Ready or Not and its sequel The Day and the Way we Met. Also loved The Seagulls Woke Me and To Tell Your Love and, oh, just all of them.

There's a book called The Lynmara Legacy by Catherine Gaskin that for some reason I return to again and again. Never read anything else by her, just loved that one.

Also Stephen Dobyns' Church of Dead Girls. Stephen King's The Stand. Rebecca Du Maurier's Rebecca. Anne Rivers Siddons Peachtree Road.

I have so much new stuff I want to read, and huge pile of books waiting to be read, that I don't reread as much as I used to. But it IS like digging into a bowl of your fave ice cream.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I've read, and still occasionally reread, Gail Godwin's 'A Mother and Two Daughters' and 'A southern family'. and Nancy Thayer's 'three women by the water's edge' many times.  I've read and reread To Kill a Mockingbird, In cold blood, Marjorie Morningstar, little women, gone with the wind and east of eden so many times I can recite most of them chapter n verse, but am uncertain that i'll ever reread them again, tho possibly.

I was obsessed with a writer named Mary Stolz when I was teen. tho most of her stuff (and she was very prolific) was written long before I was a teenager, it all still resonated with me, and best of all, she wrote about SMART kids. Introverted, introspective, well read girls, like I was. I loved her stuff so much a few years ago I tracked down every single title of her YA (she also wrote children's books)  I could find on ebay and bought them all, and reread them all. Pray Love, Remember was/is my fave, and also Ready or Not and its sequel The Day and the Way we Met. Also loved The Seagulls Woke Me and To Tell Your Love and, oh, just all of them.

There's a book called The Lynmara Legacy by Catherine Gaskin that for some reason I return to again and again. Never read anything else by her, just loved that one.

Also Stephen Dobyns' Church of Dead Girls. Stephen King's The Stand. Rebecca Du Maurier's Rebecca. Anne Rivers Siddons Peachtree Road.

I have so much new stuff I want to read, and huge pile of books waiting to be read, that I don't reread as much as I used to. But it IS like digging into a bowl of your fave ice cream.

Oh, yes!!!! Mary Stolz. I loved her and read all her books. In particular I loved a short story collection she wrote. I found the book at the main children's branch of the NYPL and photocopied the title story called "The Beautiful Friend". That was me and my best friend--- long story short, it worked out for me just like Mary wrote. And even now, all these years later, I reread that story.

• Love 2

Depending on mood and time I will usually dust down one of the following at least once or twice a year:-

• "Robinson Crusoe" (Daniel Defoe)
  • "Death of a Salesman" (Arthur Miller)
  • "Emma" (Jane Austin)
  • "The Turn of the Screw" (Henry James)
  • "Oranges are not the Only Fruit" (Jeanette Winterson)
  • "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Douglas Adams)
  • "The Foundation & Empire" books (Isaac Asimov)
  • "Lord of the Rings" (JRR Tolkien)
  • Love 3

A lot of Lucy Maud Montgomery, including The Blue Castle which the good folks at Chicklit recommended.  

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Baby-Sitters Club.  I have almost a full set and one typically takes about half an hour to read through which is perfect for a bubble bath!  :)

• Love 2

All of my re-reads have been mentioned.  The Cheerleader and its sequel, Snowy.  Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy books (Betsy Was a Junior is my favorite).  The Beany Malone series, which convinced me that a girl had to be married by 21, and that didn't happen to me so I got rid of the books because they shaped me in a bad way.  Anne of Green Gables.  Of course Harry Potter, but specifically The Half-Blood Prince.  I used to re-read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but as an adult I couldn't abide the descriptions of poverty.   I have read every Agatha Christie multiple times but they haven't aged well for me.  And my ultimate reread,  Gone With The Wind.

Edited by PaulaO
Plurals
  • Love 4
On August 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM, PaulaO said:

All of my re-reads have been mentioned.  The Cheerleader and its sequel, Snowy.  Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy books (Betsy Was a Junior is my favorite).  The Beany Malone series, which convinced me that a girl had to be married by 21, and that didn't happen to me so I got rid of the books because they shaped me in a bad way.  Anne of Green Gables.  Of course Harry Potter, but specifically The Half-Blood Prince.  I used to re-read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but as an adult I couldn't abide the descriptions of poverty.   I have read every Agatha Christie multiple times but they haven't aged well for me.  And my ultimate reread,  Gone With The Wind.

A slight necrobump because you are so my comfort book twin! Yes, LOVED Betsy Was A Junior in a close second to Betsy In Spite Of Herself (the latter probably because as a teen I was always convinced that a self-makeover would be the solution to all my social problems and I tried to do one every six months or so but they never took because I was just weird me). And someone else who had read The Cheerleader!!!!

I've never heard of Beany Malone but it sounds like I need to try to find those on Amazon or Kindle now ...

Also, one book I've reread so many times though it's not a "kid/teen" book is Marge Piercy's "Gone To Soldiers," a wonderful novel that takes place during WWII and follows several different characters in different places around the world. 

Finally one more "kid/teen" series I loved and think I was inspired by this thread to try to find ... found the first four of the eight books, the latter four I believe being out of print and unfindable ... the Peggy Lane series (did I mention it in another thread maybe?) ... like the Sue Barton and Cherry Ames student nurse books, these were about an aspiring actress in the big city. 

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 9:20 AM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Finally one more "kid/teen" series I loved and think I was inspired by this thread to try to find ... found the first four of the eight books, the latter four I believe being out of print and unfindable ... the Peggy Lane series (did I mention it in another thread maybe?) ... like the Sue Barton and Cherry Ames student nurse books, these were about an aspiring actress in the big city. 

Have you tried abebooks? It's my go-to for second-hand books.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Virginia+Hughes&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=18&tn=peggy

When I did the above search on author "Virginia Hughes" and title "Peggy", I got 111 hits - didn't scan them very closely, but there were definitely more than four titles.

My own childhood "series" (though I suspect I'd find them unbearable if I tried to re-read, so they don't really belong in this thread) are Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's Chalet School stories, which started pre-WWII - they were my mother's favourites - and were still being regularly published in the 60s.

• Love 1
On 7/4/2017 at 6:42 AM, Zola said:

Depending on mood and time I will usually dust down one of the following at least once or twice a year:-

• "Robinson Crusoe" (Daniel Defoe)
  • "Death of a Salesman" (Arthur Miller)
  • "Emma" (Jane Austin)
  • "The Turn of the Screw" (Henry James)
  • "Oranges are not the Only Fruit" (Jeanette Winterson)
  • "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Douglas Adams)
  • "The Foundation & Empire" books (Isaac Asimov)
  • "Lord of the Rings" (JRR Tolkien)

I'd add Rebecca, Little Women and Watership Down.

• Love 1

Not exactly comfort food, but a book I find worth re-reading at least once every few years (and especially found relevant in the last year of Covid): Dahlgren by Samuel Delaney. Its a speculative fiction novel (not science fiction - no robots or spaceships) about a fellow who finds himself in a city that is always burning...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My go to comfort food author is English author Miss Read.  She wrote two series one about a village school teacher and the other about the residents of a Cotswold village.  I can never decide which series I prefer so I just read them both and enjoy.  For me they are like a warm blanket on a cold night.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So many of my rest favorites mentioned, so I won't repeat them.

Love love love those old "malt shop" comfort reads--teen girls' books of the 1950s. So innocent, sweet, and nostalgic (way before my time, but I love them anyway).

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Starleigh said:

Love love love those old "malt shop" comfort reads--teen girls' books of the 1950s. So innocent, sweet, and nostalgic (way before my time, but I love them anyway).

A number of years ago I came across Image Cascade Publishing in a search and was able to complete my Beany Malone and Katie Rose collection (Leonora Mattingly Weber).  Now thanks to pandemic time I am thinking of getting my Janet Lambert collection filled out.  This may cost more than I'm willing to shell out though.  Gone are the days when you could pick up a tatty old paperback for a dollar at the local used bookstore!

• Love 1

Ooh,  I remember the excitement when I was able to fill in the gaps of my Beany Malone collection thanks to Image Cascade.

It's been a few years since they've published anything new. I think the last set they did was the Ginnie & Geneva series by Catherine Woolley. I wonder if they are working on anything new?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I checked recently because I was hoping they might start publishing Betty Cavanna but no luck so far.

Love Betty Cavanna! 

I recently discovered the Connie Blair books that she wrote under a pseudonym, and have tracked down a few. I'd love to be able to read the whole set.

• Love 2

I bought the Pam and Penny Howard books by Rosamond du Jardin for Kindle, along with The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary, and reread them periodically. I also like Fifteen and Jean and Johnny by Beverly Cleary. They were all pretty dated even when I was a preteen and reading them, but I still like them.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

A few years ago, I had Mono and whooping cough at the same time. I was in bed for a long time and all I had the energy to read were my old Nancy Drew books. So cozy.

I don't know whether to "sad" this because you had mono and whooping cough at the same time, or "like" this because of the cozy books.

• Love 3
Just now, Browncoat said:

I don't know whether to "sad" this because you had mono and whooping cough at the same time, or "like" this because of the cozy books.

I wasn't really in any pain just periodically coughing up a lung. My little tortie, was such a comfort. The harder I coughed, the more she snuggled.🤗

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wasn't really in any pain just periodically coughing up a lung. My little tortie, was such a comfort. The harder I coughed, the more she snuggled.🤗

Then I'll give it a "like".  🙂 

• Love 2

I usually find myself going back to Barbara Michaels' books, particularly Be Buried in the Rain and Wait for What Will Come.  And Carolyn Llewellyn's The Lady of the Labyrinth.  And if I'm really needing comfort reading, Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I usually find myself going back to Barbara Michaels' books, particularly Be Buried in the Rain and Wait for What Will Come.  And Carolyn Llewellyn's The Lady of the Labyrinth.  And if I'm really needing comfort reading, Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.

I love Barbara Michaels. My fave is Ammie Come Home, probably because it's the first one I read.

• Love 1

All of the MacGregor books and novellas--I can always count on Daniel MacGregor to cheer me up/make me laugh. I don't care how meddlesome he is! No one can say "dunderhead", "pinhead" like he can and make me howl. And his fear of Anna catching him drinking and smoking the forbidden cigars.

And the Stanislaskis, O'Hurleys, Calhouns, MacKades. And from a non-series, Gabriel's Angel.

The scene in All the Possibilities (Alan and Shelby's story), when Daniel learns that Shelby is a Campbell, oh my,  I have to put the book/kindle down until I stop laughing.

Shane MacKade, the baby of the four wild brothers, has the best lines in all the books, except his own. His story (The Fall of Shane MacKade), which I should have loved, is my least favorite. But it's the relationship with the brothers, that Nora so excels at, that saves it for me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

All of the MacGregor books and novellas--I can always count on Daniel MacGregor to cheer me up/make me laugh. I don't care how meddlesome he is! No one can say "dunderhead", "pinhead" like he can and make me howl. And his fear of Anna catching him drinking and smoking the forbidden cigars.

And the Stanislaskis, O'Hurleys, Calhouns, MacKades. And from a non-series, Gabriel's Angel.

The scene in All the Possibilities (Alan and Shelby's story), when Daniel learns that Shelby is a Campbell, oh my,  I have to put the book/kindle down until I stop laughing.

Shane MacKade, the baby of the four wild brothers, has the best lines in all the books, except his own. His story (The Fall of Shane MacKade), which I should have loved, is my least favorite. But it's the relationship with the brothers, that Nora so excels at, that saves it for me.

Those are great comfort books. I also like some of her trilogies like the Dreams, Donovans, Gallaghers, Quinns, and Three Sisters Island. and Night Tales. Babysitters Club and the old Star Wars books from before Disney bought Star Wars. It was fun following the continuing adventures of Luke, Leia and Han and the different eras of Star Wars even thought I liked the sequel its still nice to go back to those stories.  Little Women and Jane Austen books. 

On ‎02‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 5:24 PM, peacheslatour said:

I love Barbara Michaels. My fave is Ammie Come Home, probably because it's the first one I read.

That was my first one as well, although I read it in my mother's Reader's Digest Condensed Books.  There were definitely some scenes which surprised me when I read the uncondensed version years later.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That was my first one as well, although I read it in my mother's Reader's Digest Condensed Books.  There were definitely some scenes which surprised me when I read the uncondensed version years later.

Lol! So did I! I was working for her at her interior design studio and she bought a bunch of those to dress up a shelf in the reception area. She also had comfy arm chairs and a working fireplace in there and since we were by appointment, I used to sit there and read while she and her partner took long lunches. I also discovered Oscar Wilde from one of those books.

• Love 1

I'm working through James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small series. I have well-worn, bindings-cracked hard copies, carried them with me through multiple locations, but I actually hadn't re-read them for years. It's amazing how much I remember--I must have read them multiple times way back when.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cherrypj said:

I'm working through James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small series. I have well-worn, bindings-cracked hard copies, carried them with me through multiple locations, but I actually hadn't re-read them for years. It's amazing how much I remember--I must have read them multiple times way back when.

Now that the new series has been on, I'm going to reread them too. I became a vet tech because of those books. So much humor, love and sadness.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2021 at 9:54 PM, Black Knight said:

One of mine is Becky Chambers's The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. It's basically a found family story combined with the road trip trope. I just love all the characters aboard that spaceship!

I have that on my kindle and have heard such good things about it.  I am dying for a new good space opera.  may have to bump that up.

Right now I am wallowing in re-reads.  I am still finding it hard to really get enthused by new stuff.  I have a ton of new releases waiting for me but just can;t start anything new really.

Som of my recent comfort reads are:

The Others series by Anne Bishop.  The first book is Written in Red and I just love her world build and concept of the shifters. 

The Psy/Changeling series by Nalini Singh. I actually jump around a bit and read the ones I liked best.  My absolute favorite is Heart of Obsidian the 12th book in the series.  It is, imo, a rare case where in the preceding books the author has created so much build up and anticipation of a singular character finally getting their own focused book and she sticks that landing so very hard.

Nora Roberts is great for comfort reading she has something for almost every mood, but I have to say my hands down favorite to re-read is The Witness.  I just love that book.

Linda Howard also has a great backlist.  My favorite re-read of her is Now You See Her a romantic suspense about an artist who one day can suddenly see ghosts and one night over a series of nightly sleep walking sessions begins to paint (while sleep walking)a crime scene for a crime that hasn't happened yet.  But it does and the scene the officers come upon is exactly the way she painted it.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Starting with a few mentioned here, though they probably couldn't be any different from one another, they're all at the top of my list: The Stand, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn ... and, of course, I've reread "The Handmaid's Tale" a few times and did a recent reread right before the series started airing.

From my childhood, I adored a series I called "the Jennifer books" by Eunice Young Smith and also (kind of surprised not to see them here, though maybe I missed them?) the Betsy-Tacy-Tib series, especially the later ones when they're teens ("Betsy In Spite of Herself" was probably my favorite) I think the author is Maud Hart Lovelace? ... The two series are not dissimilar, both about girls growing up in the midwest around the turn of the century. 

As an adult, I've been sort of obsessed with a few of the James Michener books, especially "The Source" which I have reread several times despite the fact that it's over 1000 pages.

But probably my favorite read-reread-reread is a book that was my friends' and my obsession in high school (I graduated in 1977 to give a basic time frame) ... I've never heard of anyone else being familiar with it ... it's called "The Cheerleader" by Ruth Doan MacDougall. Written in 1973, the cover (and the cover blurb) makes it look like soft porn ("What was it like before the sex revolution? A bittersweet novel of lost innocence") but it was ... well, a little risque but just a great novel about high schoolers in the 50s in New Hampshire. I think it's time for a re-read now, in fact!

ETA: Oh, HOW could I forget ... also ALL of the Amy Tan novels ... have them stacked up to go through them again this summer (hey, I'm unemployed and have a lot of time on my hands). She is overdue for a new one ... I also love Lisa See's books. 

The Cheerleader!  Yes!  I love that book. Nobody knows it. Also Pride and Prejudice and the Little House books are my most reread. 

(edited)

I noticed a few people mentioned the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace.  I just completed my collection and have now finally read them all.  Love them  These are kids books that I never came across as a kid but as an adult am so glad to have "met" them.  True comfort food reading at its best!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I noticed a few people mentioned the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace.  I just completed my collection and have now finally read them all.  Love them  These are kids books that I never came across as a kid but as an adult am so glad to have "met" them.  True comfort food reading at its best!

Yes! I was super excited when Emily of Deep Valley and Carney's House Party were finally republished around 10-15 years ago. Still remember walking in to B&N to purchase the books I'd dreamed of reading for years, feeling like it almost a dream come true lol.

• Love 4

Since I saw this bumped, I just happen to be sitting on my porch for the first time this year with a reread of one of my very very favorite series that I somehow forgot to mention ... the five-book series by Megan McCafferty that starts with “Sloppy Firsts” ... and my daughter is doing the reread simultaneously (also her favorite series). I’m gobsmacked that this series has not been made into a YA/teen series. 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Since I saw this bumped, I just happen to be sitting on my porch for the first time this year with a reread of one of my very very favorite series that I somehow forgot to mention ... the five-book series by Megan McCafferty that starts with “Sloppy Firsts” ... and my daughter is doing the reread simultaneously (also her favorite series). I’m gobsmacked that this series has not been made into a YA/teen series. 

There is a YA series with a book titled Sloppy Firsts?  😲

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 2
On 6/27/2017 at 1:35 PM, luna1122 said:

I inherited a copy of Ready or Not as a young teen, from the few books my own mother was able to salvage from her youth. I didn't know there was a sequel until some years later.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:10 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

I was well into my thirties before getting to read the last few Betsy books - the college ones, where she's dating Joe, etc. Funny how you can start longing for a time period you never stepped foot in.

• Love 2

- Almost every Jodi Picoult book I own (except the ones that piss me off and as I get older that number is getting larger)

-VC Andrews.  As bad as my life gets, at least I’m not married to my brother/uncle/person I believed to be my brother, etc lol

- All the Ramona books and Ellen Tebbets  (there was something so real about her friendship with Austine) 

- Emily of New Moon series

-BSC and Sweet Valley Twins/Sweet Valley High 

- Eyes of a Child and Protect and Defend by Richard North Patterson 

- Mary Higgins Clark

- The Chosen and Davita’s Harp by Chaim Potok 

- GWTW 

It’s funny everyone mentions The Long Winter - as a kid, my dad read every Laura Ingalls Wilder book to me but he always skipped The Long Winter because he said he always thought it was long and boring lol

• Love 2

My biggest "comfort reads" are The Stand by Stephen King and Swan's Song by Robert R.  McCammon.  Not comfortable books by any means, but just books that I love.  Every time I read them, which is pretty much yearly, I find something new.

As to books that are comforting, Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts and The Princess Bride by William Goldman are a couple that I turn to every couple years.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, madmax said:

As to books that are comforting, Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts and The Princess Bride by William Goldman are a couple that I turn to every couple years.

I've only read The Princess Bride once but have seen the movie probably more than every other movie I've ever seen put together.  My favorite.  Where the Heart Is is a sweet, lovely book.  I love the movie as well, even if critics didn't, although it freaks me out to see James Frain as a good guy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've only read The Princess Bride once but have seen the movie probably more than every other movie I've ever seen put together.  My favorite.  Where the Heart Is is a sweet, lovely book.  I love the movie as well, even if critics didn't, although it freaks me out to see James Frain as a good guy.

Both movies are comfort food as well.  I've seen both way too many times to count, and I own them on DVD and blu-ray.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, madmax said:

Both movies are comfort food as well.  I've seen both way too many times to count, and I own them on DVD and blu-ray.

I just downloaded Goldman's Boys and Girls Together from the library.  I saw it mentioned somewhere and remember reading it 50 years ago.  It was a big scandalous bestseller in the 60s.  It probably won't hold up well.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
On 8/2/2021 at 6:34 PM, madmax said:

My biggest "comfort reads" are The Stand by Stephen King and Swan's Song by Robert R.  McCammon.  Not comfortable books by any means, but just books that I love. 

Get out of my brain! 😁 I just finished rereading both, again  

• Love 1