Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Interrogation

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, oakville said:

The show needs a Consultant who is aware of the US Constitution. The issues haven't been properly analyzed. The show will get tiresome if Kirkland continues to act like a wimp everytime someone says "You are not the President."

He needs to respond to some of those comments asking who the hell the accuser thinks should be president. One of the two remaining members of congress? They have no right to step into office. Neither do any governors.  And literally everyone else is dead. Even if they had some sort of special election for a new president, that would take months.

• Love 7

I want him to go back on that after he has his Congress.  What are the governors gonna do? Remove the Congress?

The whole thing is just stupid.  The Governors are going to refuse to appoint new Senators or hold special elections?  Do they not enjoy receiving federal funds?  Do they know what will happen to their constituents' Social Security, Medicare, etc. if there is no Congress to appropriate money?  What do they think the endgame is?  The federal government ceases to function and they get to be King/Queen of their state?  It's nonsensical.   

• Love 5
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I thought this was a fairly terrible episode.  I'm not sure why he gave in so easily to the older female governor with the severe hairstyle.  Or to the Marco Rubio stand-in.  Yes, Kirkman is President because he was the Designated Survivor.  It doesn't matter what she or Marco or any of the rest of them think about it.  He was in the Cabinet, they were not.  Whatever the reason for making him the Designated Survivor, the CONSTITUTION is what says he is President.  I would have slapped all of those governors silly.  "Waaaaahhhh, Governor Royce is my friend, you're a big old meanie for putting him in jail!"  And how transparent was it for the show to have the governors of Arizona and Florida complaining about immigration.

The whole Syrian refugee thing?   Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  I get that the First Lady was an immigration lawyer prior to her unexpected new role, but watching her trying to fight for these refugees was just mind-numbingly dull.  Especially her second chance talk with Marco.  The actress was attempting to exude confidence and charm and it just didn't work.  And when she had her "I'm disappointed in my husband" argument with Kirkman, her accent was all over the place.  Russian peasant, Czechoslovakian countess, English working girl... I couldn't tell what she was slipping in to.

Liked seeing Maggie Q and Malik Yoba get increased roles and more meaty material.  But I'm confused... is there actually a "Catalan"?  I was convinced that Majid Nassar was simply referring to someone with the nickname "the Catalan", i.e., a man from the Catalonia region of Spain.  But then I briefly saw that an actor was credited as "Catalan" in the closing credits.  Did we actually see this person in the episode?  Who was he and what did he do?

Kirkman's wife played a European nun in Revelations. I think she was also David Duchovny's wife in that weird show's whose name I can't remember now.

It makes no sense that Kirkman's wife would be in meetings with Governor's etc. Is she supposed to be like Hillary Clinton when Bill was President ? The refugee issue would be moot if the Capitol was destroyed. The border control on regular travel would be severely restricted as it was on 9/11.

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

He needs to respond to some of those comments asking who the hell the accuser thinks should be president. One of the two remaining members of congress? They have no right to step into office. Neither do any governors.  And literally everyone else is dead. Even if they had some sort of special election for a new president, that would take months.

Agreed. It is absurd how a bunch of Governors would be causing problems for a President under these circumstances.

On 11/9/2016 at 8:21 PM, Danielg342 said:

Besides...does Hollywood have to write every politician like they're a snivelling snake? I get they're all upset about Donald Trump but...you'd think there'd be at least one politician who'd be somewhat reasonable.

I have to cosign this.  RIght now, I need my TV entertainment to take me away from reality, not reinforce it.  Also, could they have been any more obvious about the Governor of Arizona?   I mean, at least they could mix it up a bit....

• Love 4
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

I have to cosign this.  RIght now, I need my TV entertainment to take me away from reality, not reinforce it.  Also, could they have been any more obvious about the Governor of Arizona?   I mean, at least they could mix it up a bit....

I've been all over this site, suggesting that they go watch Tracey Ullman's new show! I know, I know, it's on HBO, but I think one can view it online on youtube or something. She's been such a panacea for me.

• Love 1
On 11/10/2016 at 6:04 PM, marinw said:

And a few episodes ago I was complaining about the glasses. I am fickle. Maybe he could have just gotten some more stylish and flattering glasses.

Or, ones that corrected his entire vision problem, whatever it was, so he didn't have to whip them off all the time.  And no, I don't think they were reading glasses, because he didn't wear them consistently while reading.  I don't think the show had a clue if he was near-sighted, far-sighted, or needed bifocals.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I see what you mean. Christine Estabrook (Governor Chris Nichols of Arizona) is almost a spitting image of Jan Brewer, who's not even the current Governor of Arizona.

• Love 1

As of yesterday this episode was still not On Demand.  What's with that, Comcast?  Frankly I haven't found the time or energy to watch online.  After a really good pilot I've been kind of disappointed in the epis that followed.  Kirkman occasionally shows strength and leadership but is too often deer in the headlights.  (A bit too close to reality I'm afraid.)  I need more Jack Bauer (or Jed Bartlett) and less flailing.

• Love 3

Those governors are a bunch of a-holes, everyone one of them.  The one female governor opening tells him they don't feel he deserves the job, then questions why he would feel the need to lash out against those who question him.  what is he supposed to do?  They blackmail him and refuse to do their jobs, even under direct orders, then get upset when he uses his full authority to make them do their jobs.  One would think in such a time of crisis there would be less partisanship and questioning at the top. 

Agree with others, who do they think should be president, if not him?  EVERYONE was killed. 

And why doesn't the FBI just tell the president what they know about the congressman?  What are they waiting for?  All they have to say is "We have no proof of anything but his story is suspicious".  Not that hard.  Its all to create drama, I know, over him becoming VP, but he is being VETTED for the job, what do they think that involves?  Turning up ANYTHING THAT MIGHT BE TROUBLESEOME LATER ON.  What could be MORE troublesome than the fact that he might actually have been involved in the terrorist attack?

His wife, too, though.  He's the president, he has to make compromises and not everything is going to be without moral compromise.  These two seem very naïve about all this given that he is a career bureaucrat  No, he never ran for office, but they live in DC, he is surrounded by the DC power structure and works within the White House.  Surely they know how things often work in this city.  They seem like doe eyed kids who haven't spend in a day in politics. 

• Love 2

All Nassar gives them is a code name: Catalan. Unfortunately that comes up blank on Google.gov back at the office, so they return to Nassar to get clarification -- only to find him dead in his cell. Next time confirm the spelling before you end the interrogation, you dingbats.

Maybe they should have tried Wikipedia instead.  And I hope they had the sense to close off the cell before any more evidence is lost or contaminated.  My bet is on the food package that was delivered to him just as they were leaving.

Presumably Tom only has forty-nine governors left to contend with, given that he tossed the one from Michigan in the clink.

Unlike the federal government, apparently, Michigan would have a clear and accepted method of transferring power to the next in line, so maybe he did have fifty.

I think i found out who catalan is.

if you wait for the credits in episode 6 under the 'topic': co-starring, you'll see George Tchortov as Catalan

if you look him up on google you get the guy on the photo 

so all we have to do now is try to recogonize him is next episode

IMG_1250.JPG

• Love 2
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

Warning shallowness ahead:

Oh my, he can come blow up my capitol building anytime -- if you know what I mean.   

Oh leave me alone, it's been a rough week, I need some shallowness.

???

And I agree!??

He actually looks like he could be Slan/Lex Luthor's Clancy Brown's son.  Sort of.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Does that include the six hours of "interrogation" afterward?

Oh my.   Not sure I could handle that (although if you could find a man who can "interrogate" for 6 hours, I might be willing to try)

Topic, topic.   Someone needed to slap a whole bunch of governors.   As noted, if not President Wangsty who else?   There's a succession for a reason.   

• Love 2

Presidential succession question, if in this case Kirkman resigns, who will ascend to the Presidency? The assumption is that he still does not have a Vice-President, no Cabinet Secretary and the U.S. Congress consists only of two people, none of them in leadership position. Will it be one of the two Congresspersons or the Deputy Secretary of State?

3 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Presidential succession question, if in this case Kirkman resigns, who will ascend to the Presidency? The assumption is that he still does not have a Vice-President, no Cabinet Secretary and the U.S. Congress consists only of two people, none of them in leadership position. Will it be one of the two Congresspersons or the Deputy Secretary of State?

gone to the real world civics thread

OK, I do not believe the Governors would hold off on appointing Senators. I also don't believe Pres Kirkman wouldn't have an answer to "Who made you President?" because I went "Madison. Jefferson. Hamilton..."* As for, "I didn't like this decision you made..." he should have replied, "Yes, I've made decisions some people disagreed with. That's what leadership is about. And if you ever become President, I'm sure people will disagree with your choices, too..." (or something like that: the point is, he should have answers to these questions, as it was fairly predictable that they'd come up).

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:02 AM, deaja said:

And governors would not need to be coerced into doing appointments. A chance to get the person they want into the office? They would be tripping over themselves to hurry and do it.

Absolutely! A more believable criticism would be that some Governors might want to appoint two Senators from their party when they were previously split or both from the opposing party.

However, the idea that politics (particularly re. Security v Human Rights) would intrude I did believe - just not as it was presented.
Also liked that Mr & Mrs Kirkman a) argued and b) were interrupted in a hug. Even the happiest of marriages** have arguments and they're under a lot of stress, but the President is "on call" 24/7, so he can expect a near total lack of privacy.

The President is an Independent? I guess it's possible Housing Secretary might be as so far down the Line of Succession that his political allegiance might not be considered important, but I'm getting Commander in Chief flashbacks (though there Mac was an Independent Vice President!)

I'm surprised the terrorist survived as long as he did, but I guess he needed to stay alive long enough to further the plot ("Dammit, he was our only lead!" as a famous CTU Agent might have said). Although given the conspiracy has succeeded in eliminating most of the US government, you'd think they could have arranged for him to "hang himself in his cell". The poison means somebody else had to be involved.  

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, Princess Lucky said:

As soon as Mike was all "yeah I have a brother and I love bowling and look, I'm a three-dimensional character!" I was like "RIP, Mike." I'm glad he just got shot instead of killed

Me too! I was amazed he survived. He hit all the "I'm about to die!" tropes other than saying he had one day to retirement and had a kid on the way.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, Princess Lucky said:

Seth and the journalist? Cute but also, like, red flag central.

Hey, Danny & CJ seemed to make it work. And as Aaron said, he's only going to be hanging out with Washington insiders, so it's date one or have no social life at all.

* OK, not really, because Presidential Succession is mostly covered by the 23rd & 25th Ammendments which are 20th Century, but the point still stands that it's the Constitution ("that I took an oath to uphold...") that made him President.
** Obviously, I'm an expert... never having been married.