Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three Episode Talk

I think they meant small appliances.   Mixers, blenders.   Or sometimes and oven is just gas.

I don't like Matt.  He seems to think he's some kind of stud.   He thinks no one would suspect he's a baker because he's so macho and thinks he's a 'young gun'.   Uh, no Bon Jovi.  I hate to tell him, but just because he has a beard it doesn't make him some super masculine guy that people would expect to be onn a football field.

• Love 7

OK... I watched a repeat of the pie ep earlier today & maybe I'm confused or something. Bobby said they couldn't use electrical appliances to make the pies. How did they end up--at the very least--with baked crusts without using ovens? I mean, few if any of those pie recipes were "no bake", "no mix", "no refrigerate", etc. At least from what I remember seeing.

Add me to the confused list, too. 

I thought the guy who made cookies "that take a while to grow on you" took a huge risk.  Yes, points for cooking something unusual, but using a  flavor that most people won't like the first time they taste it? Not the route I'd take.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

Just asking, how competitive is the pink grapefruit marmalade market?

Ha! Right? 

Found 3 brands online, this national distribution: Stonewall, Mrs Bridges and Mackay. I'm sure there are local purveyors around the country. I've had Tiptrees not pink grapefruit marmalade . 

i love the imposter challenges. 

• Love 1
On 11/19/2016 at 6:32 PM, BW Manilowe said:

OK... I watched a repeat of the pie ep earlier today & maybe I'm confused or something. Bobby said they couldn't use electrical appliances to make the pies. How did they end up--at the very least--with baked crusts without using ovens? I mean, few if any of those pie recipes were "no bake", "no mix", "no refrigerate", etc. At least from what I remember seeing.

I took "electrical appliances" to mean mixers or blenders, but the oven was OK.

• Love 1

This is probably a dumb-ish question, but can anyone help me figure out why I cannot stand Cheryl? She seems nice and knows what she's doing. She doesn't seem as braggy or whatever as that woman in the Halloween baking thing. Is it because she's so much cooler than I can ever hope to be? She put the can ripples in her cranberry cupcake topping and I my first thought was how much I hate her. :( I don't want to Mean Girl!

• Love 3

Well I can't  help you with Cheryl  ,  but I was glad  Patti?, went home last night. She got on my last nerve but seemed like a nice, happy lady. I was glad because  now I do not feel  guilty  for disliking  someone  who I do not know and have never  met.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, justjen said:

This is probably a dumb-ish question, but can anyone help me figure out why I cannot stand Cheryl? She seems nice and knows what she's doing. She doesn't seem as braggy or whatever as that woman in the Halloween baking thing. Is it because she's so much cooler than I can ever hope to be? She put the can ripples in her cranberry cupcake topping and I my first thought was how much I hate her. :( I don't want to Mean Girl!

I think it's her eyebrows.  The way she raises them just makes her seem smug.

28 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well I can't  help you with Cheryl  ,  but I was glad  Patti?, went home last night. She got on my last nerve but seemed like a nice, happy lady. I was glad because  now I do not feel  guilty  for disliking  someone  who I do not know and have never  met.

I was glad Patti went home, too.  She seems nice but she was way over her head with the other competitors.

• Love 4

I agree, Madding crowd.  I loved her little creations, but they weren't what the challenge called for.  And Kentucky guy that won, I guess his flavors were there, but they looked like a hot mess to me.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 3

I'm telling you that I would have been way pissed if my eye candy Matt would have gone home last night instead of Patti who has been on the bottom every single week since the beginning.

I'm not a fan of imposter things.  Once on a cruise they had us make cupcakes that looked like hamburgers.  I couldn't even take a bite of it..ugh.

That Kentucky guy is getting on my last nerve.

• Love 5

This is probably a dumb-ish question, but can anyone help me figure out why I cannot stand Cheryl?

Maybe because Duff seems to have a crush on her and she therefore must win. In the very first wreath challenge she made a lemon dessert because lemons remind her of the holidays and the judges oohed and ahed.  During the last episode the guy from the Caribbean made a citrus dessert and got a snarky look from Nancy.

Look, Food Network, either permit people to make desserts that are traditional to their home or make a rule that they have to have traditional flavors of pecan pie, pumpkin pie or whatever. 

So glad Patty went home. Someone upthread posted that she seemed happy all the time but I never saw that. She seemed depressed to me, she never smiled and she struggled at what should have not been difficult for a bakery owner. 

Loved Vincenzo's spaghetti and meatballs cupcake. Hope he wins. I thought Cheryl's "bread" looked like bologna but her canned cranberry sauce looked very realistic. 

• Love 1

I'm impressed by Kentucky Jason's knowledge of ingredients. Sometimes they don't work (pinto pecans) and sometimes they do (freeze dried cranberries) but for a home baker he's definitely put some research in. The sauerkraut cake in week 1 could have been a fluke but since then he's kept up the resourcefulness. It's a nice contrast to Matt (who I don't dislike) and his attempts to technical his way through.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Every time they describe what they are going to make, I roll my eyes. Do they not understand Christmas Holiday flavors? 

As I said in a previous response, I don't think they're strictly limited to "Christmas Holiday" flavors, or shapes (the bundt cake a week or 2 ago was supposed to look like a wreath) unless Bobby says so during a challenge. The name of the show is The *Holiday* Baking Championship, after all, & it starts airing between Halloween (which has its own baking championship) & Thanksgiving. My feeling has always been it's supposed to encompass *all* the holidays where baking is/can be involved between Thanksgiving & Christmas (like Chanukah & observances by other ethnic groups &/or religions that may fall in this period), maybe all the way through to New Year's Eve/Day.

I think the more literal they can be during these holiday themed baking shows, the more success they will have. Sadly.

Oh and someone upthread said Cheryl is smug - I think Matt is smug. I also think he's full of shit. I bet he has never eaten spaghetti and meatballs on Thanksgiving in his life, he just thought it would be a cool decoration. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I'm impressed by Kentucky Jason's knowledge of ingredients. Sometimes they don't work (pinto pecans) and sometimes they do (freeze dried cranberries) but for a home baker he's definitely put some research in. The sauerkraut cake in week 1 could have been a fluke but since then he's kept up the resourcefulness. It's a nice contrast to Matt (who I don't dislike) and his attempts to technical his way through.

Souerkraut cake is an old southern speciality. It is so good if made correct.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I've seen it with German chocolate cake too, although I don't know if that originated in Germany.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am from New England and it is an old standard there, too.  It is delicious in that it is not overly sweet.  Different regions tend to claim a recipe as their own when, in fact, it is everywhere. 

I am very happy Patti  is gone, Annoying woman.  :^}  

I love it when Barbara and Loraine disagree, it perks things up.  

Barbara, "Duff is on a diet, Loraine is a diet am I am enjoying this."  I love this quote. 

• Love 4

I had an immediate dislike for Cheryl as well. She just seems too perfect, polished and professional, will never screw up and will sail all the way to the end, and make perfectly boring television. She seems to be exceptional at her craft, and I guess I don't really want to see that when I watch this show. I enjoy the mayhem and mishaps and she doesn't seem like she is going to deliver. I didn't think she deserved to win for the imposter challenge either. But I guess her stuff was too cute.

Loved Vincenzo's spaghetti and meatballs cupcake. Hope he wins.

I'm eyeing him for the win too. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, wings707 said:

I am from New England and it is an old standard there, too.  It is delicious in that it is not overly sweet.  Different regions tend to claim a recipe as their own when, in fact, it is everywhere. 

Barbara, "Duff is on a diet, Loraine is a diet am I am enjoying this."  I love this quote. 

I think the person you're calling "Barbara" is actually named Nancy.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, wings707 said:

Lol. Who's Barbara? You mean Nancy Fuller? 

She does look like a Barbara though. 

• Love 4

Vincenzo looks a bit scary but he seems like a really nice guy.  He and Jason are easily my favorites.  Cheryl's cupcake decorations were well done but they didn't begin to meet the definition of "imposters."  I was disappointed that the judges let her get away with that.  

• Love 5

I think they allowed the term "imposters" to be applied loosely because they also insisted that they be cupcakes.  I would have prefered if it had been more like the imposters challenges they have had on other baking competition shows - bake a dessert that looks like a traditional Thanksgiving dish and assign them each a dish - or - make a dessert that looks like someone's Thanksgiving dinner plate (slices of turkey, with mashed potatoes and stuffing on the side, with a little cranberry jelly, etc...) nd tell them that it can't be more than 40% rice cereal treats

• Love 5

Why are they letting Matt stay?  Every week it is the same thing,"I think this will work," and it never does.  Vincenzo, OTOH, has been solid up until tonight, and at least his yule log showed some effort when it came to decorating, albeit effort put forth by someone with the color palette chosen by a five year old.  I'm beginning to think that Matt is the producer's nephew. 

I love Jason, but I was surprised he won tonight.  Or as he might say, "Lordy, lordy, I sure was surprised he won, gol darn it!."  Maybe they realized that most of the other contestant's decorations came from the basket they gave her for winning the heat.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 14

I was surprised the one guy didn't get called out for stacking his Yule log instead of rolling it. 

Matt seems like an ass. And I guess "simplifying" wasn't the answer to his problems. He's annoying. 

• Love 13

I couldn't believe they sent Vincenzo home instead of Matt who has screwed up every task.   Vincenzo's choice of yellow seemed rather weird but very few of them really looked like yule logs.  I thought Matt's was downright amateurish.  I didn't really understand the judges' raving about Jason's window because the log was the challenge but I like him so I'm glad he won.

I wonder who the well-behaved dog belonged to.

• Love 12

I most be missing something about Matt's creations because none of them have looked very good, especially not for a professional baker.  I am beginning to think he is going to win the whole damn thing.

I don't remember any of the judges raving about the taste of anything he has made, either.

But, then again I don't think Jason should have won tonight.  His Yule Log was far from "blinged out".  If just any old rolled up pastry would have sufficed, I'll bet they all could have done something more exciting without having to make it look like a log - which Jason's did not, IMO it just looked like a cylinder.

• Love 4

Maybe Amber should have received first choice of one bling component instead of all of them. Pretty hard for a cake to have bling without any edible items. I understand her Yule log was contemporary but it reminded me of a porcupine. 

Matt should have been sent home. Temper, temper.  He probably smashed his fist on the set somewhere. This would have been a great opportunity for Pam to use product placement. Matt's disasters could have been shown in black and white film and a voiceover could remind us all about the heartbreak of cakes and marshmallow mess sticking to our pans. 

• Love 3

I take back what I said last week.  It hit me like a ton of bricks tonight ---- Even though Matt is my eye candy, he stinks at baking.  I was sure he was leaving and I was ok with it.  Vincenzo should not have been eliminated.  He's been strong throughout the competition and even though his log was amateurish he still shouldn't have left.  Matt was on the bottom of both tasks not to mention every week since the beginning.

The woman who is not Cheryl (forgot her name) should have won.  Hers were really nice and on point for the task.  I'm not a fan of Jason's schtick.  

• Love 4

I find Vincenzo overbearing and annoying so I'm OK with him going home, in principle, but last night, it should have been Matt.  His baking skills haven't seemed particularly good all season.  He keeps blaming his poor execution on being overly ambitious.  I think he's just not up to it.  He certainly doesn't handle the pressure very well.

I like Cheryl but she is too wedded to her minimalism.  One monochrome branch and one red ornament does not equal 'blinged out yule log".  Even if her branch hadn't broken, I don't think she would have met the challenge.

• Love 4

The challenges this season are rather bizarre.  First an imposter on a cupcake, and now a blinged-out Yule log (while giving ALL the bling to only one person).  I'd much rather just let them make more traditional stuff and let them shine.   Nothing is looking particularly good to eat, either, just messy.

• Love 11

Funny, I hit FF and deleted before I saw who was eliminated because I knew it was Matt!  I read it was Vincenzo just now.  Fine with me I really don't care.  

Amber with all the bling made an ugly all brown mess.  She just put some gold leaf on top in a random way.  

19 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

The challenges this season are rather bizarre.  First an imposter on a cupcake, and now a blinged-out Yule log (while giving ALL the bling to only one person).  I'd much rather just let them make more traditional stuff and let them shine.   Nothing is looking particularly good to eat, either, just messy.

That might be boring.   Had they just said make a non traditional Yule log it would have been better. I do get why they didn't want to see the same old design again, but bling? No. It clearly failed.

I love Cheryl's style. It is modern and sophisticated in an arena of often tacky and predictable creations.  I would like to see her  win.   How many snow flake cookies can you ogle over? 

Wedding cakes are often modern now, why not holiday fare?  Go Cheryl.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Once again, it seemed the judges ignored the challenge which was to make a blinged out yule log. The stained glass window was nice but the yule log itself was not decorated. I also found it odd that no else had access to actual bling. All of the yule logs looked messy to me. Cheryl's was nice but I wouldn't call it blinged out in anyway. Very surprised Matt is still in the game, maybe his flavors are all really good?

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Once again, it seemed the judges ignored the challenge which was to make a blinged out yule log. The stained glass window was nice but the yule log itself was not decorated. I also found it odd that no else had access to actual bling. All of the yule logs looked messy to me. Cheryl's was nice but I wouldn't call it blinged out in anyway. Very surprised Matt is still in the game, maybe his flavors are all really good?

Yes, this was a major fail and they knew it, thus a giving the win to the only one who did not decorate the damn cake log thing.  Window sill, eh? 

• Love 3

I didn't care that much for either of them but I can't believe Matt's still there. They at least liked Vincenzo's flavors, I thought that would be enough to save him and he's been more consistent on the whole. I also liked the cone trees but that was the only part of his design I did like.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Matt should have been sent home. Temper, temper.  He probably smashed his fist on the set somewhere. 

And I think we just solved the mystery of why Matt's still there! Good TV! Vincenzo should have thrown something. 

• Love 2

Matt's bumbling isn't even fun to watch. It's an episode of "what is he doing wrong this time?"

I was happy with Jason's win. I thought that window was amazing and they raved about the taste of his roll so I thought it was good. He didn't just go for throwing some sparkles on top of the log. He added an incredible blingy element. 

• Love 10