Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Act of God

• Start Topic

Even though the show played a bit with history, to give Churchill/Lithgow great scenes to play, I think they captured the feel of that "fog."

This is also interesting:  https://londontopia.net/anglotopia-magazine/london-great-smog-1952/

• Love 2
On 11/11/2016 at 9:16 AM, Bec said:

I can't believe I never heard of this killer fog that killed thousands, either. This stuff is pretty much the precursor to climate change, isn't it? On the verge of disaster, humanity is still slow to do anything to mitigate or avert it, preferring instead to waste time doing political maneuverings. That much hadn't changed.

Is it me or does the "it's just weather!" remind anyone else of climate change denial? I gotta think that was totally intentional on the part of the writers. But then Churchill was sort of vindicated when the fog lifted like he said it would. And right before QE was going to give him a talking to!

I really liked QE in this episode. She wanted to look at the science! She wanted to do something to help her subjects! Churchill was so rude to her, practically rolling his eyes at the idea that she would want to know the science.

At least Churchill came around to the idea of doing something about it in the end, even if it was to save his own ass, and after much dilly-dallying. The man is quick on his feet when push comes to shove, gotta give him that. I haven't read spoilers (hee) on how long he was PM, so I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what he would do.

Churchill was in many ways a typical politician: he cared only for short-term results (goal must be burned in order to make homes warm in the winter which showed the public that Britain was strong again which in turn would help the Conservatives to stay in power - and in the end he promised money to hospitals for the same reasons).

But he was also exceptionally sure that he knew everything without even reading memos. And he was first of all interested in the foreign policy where he pretended to himself that he was a past master.

• Love 2

I thought Elizabeth's initial response to Dickie that the Tory pols ought to stand up and be counted before begging for another (herself) to do their bidding was a profound character development.  It's the most savvy I've seen from her thus far.   Then, immediately, she retreats into the personal when told that the flying lessons was such a priority for WC. 

The emphasis of the slight to Philip from his uncle (The latter.) was anvilicious, imo.   We get it.  Philip is a veritable cuckold.  Enough.  This is the business he has chosen.  

Lascelles was brilliant.  I thought he made a better case for a personal isolationism.  But, his giving Elizabeth the respect of full ownership as a sovereign was another huge moment.  Phenomenal scene, pitch-perfect acting.

I also loved her visit with Queen Mary.  Goodness, but the logic of the use of power and the complete disregard for personal concerns was genius.  There are certainly other approaches to leadership, but her outline of this approach was unassailable, imo.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I thought Elizabeth's initial response to Dickie that the Tory pols ought to stand up and be counted before begging for another (herself) to do their bidding was a profound character development.  It's the most savvy I've seen from her thus far.   Then, immediately, she retreats into the personal when told that the flying lessons was such a priority for WC. 

The emphasis of the slight to Philip from his uncle (The latter.) was anvilicious, imo.   We get it.  Philip is a veritable cuckold.  Enough.  This is the business he has chosen.  

Lascelles was brilliant.  I thought he made a better case for a personal isolationism.  But, his giving Elizabeth the respect of full ownership as a sovereign was another huge moment.  Phenomenal scene, pitch-perfect acting.

I also loved her visit with Queen Mary.  Goodness, but the logic of the use of power and the complete disregard for personal concerns was genius.  There are certainly other approaches to leadership, but her outline of this approach was unassailable, imo.

Tommy's my favorite character. He's so funny and fun to watch.

• Love 3