Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Pride & Joy

• Start Topic

On 12/16/2016 at 3:14 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

My thoughts exactly. Damn, Philip, not only did you know what you were getting into, you sought it. You and Dickie angled and connived and maneuvered to marry into THE royal family, way WAY out of your league, and now you're pouty just because of your damn male ego. Philip drives me craaazy, I have never liked him. 

It seems the King's advice to him didn't register. I really like Matt Smith but boy, Phillip is testing my last nerve. He was a real bastard to Elizabeth just before she chased him out. 

On 12/16/2016 at 8:37 PM, rubyred said:

Yeah this pissed me right off. Slagging off on how Elizabeth was "unprepared" to be Queen when in the previous episode the QM was so defensive about not preparing her! And then mentioning that Margaret got even less education -- yet Margaret seemed to think Elizabeth had the better life and Margaret would be a better queen because she had some wit. She knew even less, certainly she hadn't even had the constitutional history education E had. Argh. Like David/Edward, IMO Margaret would have been a lousy Queen (as it was and is defined now). It's not as if, given her allegedly vaunted intellect, she couldn't have gone out and gotten a real education or found a purpose or passion in life. She certainly had the resources. She grew up knowing the deal. She wanted to party and be glamorous, she didn't actually want the crown. But let's pout and whine and score burns about Daddy loving me best. Nice, sister. Sorry, I just can't with this one.

I can't either, and I usually like flippant, immature characters. The Papa loved me best thing feels so damn petty. Coupled with her screwing up with some very important people/responsibilities wins Margaret 0 points. 

• Love 6

I tend to give Philip some slack. He was in a thankless role - admittedly, one he took on willingly, but still a punishing job. And all he was doing was truth-telling. He's calling it like he sees it: the Empire is crumbling and their tour is nothing but a sideshow to make themselves feel relevant and to prop up the illusion of the Empire. They were both killing themselves trying to keep to this rigid schedule to the point where Elizabeth had to get a shot in the face (EW!) and he found himself waving to crowds in his sleep. They were getting up at 4:00 am to catch 6:00 flights. And all he wanted was for them to cut out some of their stops so they could rest more. But she wouldn't even do that and once again he rightly guessed why. She was on some bizarre quest to prove herself. 

I give less slack to Margaret but I did think her little pre-knighting speech was hilarious, especially about the food being rather ordinary as a rule but the wine being good. I also laughed when the reporter asked her if she missed her sister and she said "Not quite as much, no."

• Love 10
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Which of course is much easier to say when one is already a princess. Not that she doesn't have a point.

I think Anne felt her title limited her in many ways, and, especially since her kids were never going to be anywhere close to the throne; it was going to be more burden than boon.  Anne herself is now 12th in the line of succession.  I get the impression she wanted her kids to realize that they needed to find their own way and achieve something beyond the royal family.  Contrast to Princess Margaret, who loved all the perks of being a member of the royal family and didn't really feel any sense of responsibility to the Crown.

• Love 8

When Queen Mary escaped up Scotland and was interested in buying that old rundown castle - did she really buy it? Does the family still own it? Does it have a name?  Can a royal just casually sit buy property like that?

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, CathinAZ said:

When Queen Mary escaped up Scotland and was interested in buying that old rundown castle - did she really buy it? Does the family still own it? Does it have a name?  Can a royal just casually sit buy property like that?

You might want to take this over to the History Talk conversation, since it's a really valid question, however has nothing to do with the episode. (I actually went and googled this very question after watching!)

• Love 1

I have trouble being sympathetic with most of these people so I didn't love this episode.  I guess I feel a bit for Elizabeth missing her kids' childhood but it seems like she's mostly ok with it and it was the norm regardless of being queen or not.  But the rest (Phillip, Margaret, the mother)... oh boo hoo.  Their lives are not exactly difficult, hours of waving included.  It seems like most of the tension is the supporting players all wishing they were the sovereign themselves and all for selfish, petty reasons. 

I guess I feel a bit for Elizabeth missing her kids' childhood but it seems like she's mostly ok with it and it was the norm regardless of being queen or not.

But she never acts like she misses them. Watching this show, I get the feeling that Philip was the only parent who ever paid much attention to Charles and Anne when they were little.

• Love 3

Yeah, exactly.  Her saying she envied Margaret's life or wished she could be an anonymous English country wife was about all we've seen to suggest she may have had any misgivings at all about her kids.  I guess there was no real reason the kids couldn't have been with them on a lot of their travels so it was largely just a cultural thing.  

I don't follow the royals at all but don't the latest batch with young 'uns (I guess their names are Kate and William, which I had to look up) take the kids along on various travels often?  

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Yeah, exactly.  Her saying she envied Margaret's life or wished she could be an anonymous English country wife was about all we've seen to suggest she may have had any misgivings at all about her kids.  I guess there was no real reason the kids couldn't have been with them on a lot of their travels so it was largely just a cultural thing.  

I don't follow the royals at all but don't the latest batch with young 'uns (I guess their names are Kate and William, which I had to look up) take the kids along on various travels often?  

Shows how much times have changed.  Back in the day, the kids were raised by nannies and were born and even attended school within the palace.  Back in the 50's, most dads weren't very hands-on and many never changed a diaper, held a bottle or spent a lot of time with their kids. Philip seemed more involved than most dads. Elizabeth and Philip took multiple months-long royal tours without their kids during the 50's and 60's and no one batted an eye.  There is a rather infamous photo of Charles as a child, walking up to his mother and shaking her hand as she returned from a long trip overseas without him. There was a definite formality and sense of decorum in their public relationship, at least.  Contrast with the photos of Diana flinging herself at her sons as they ran gleefully to meet her after a much shorter trip abroad.

Nowadays, people would look askance at any parents who left their kids for months at a time while doing stuff like ribbon-cutting and meeting the locals.  Kate and Wills have taken their kids on multiple trips abroad, although they have also gone solo.  They also specifically plan some of their tour activities to include their kids, so we get PR shots of George at the zoo or both kids on a helicopter.  Their kids were also born in hospitals and attend regular schools like other kids and, when Kate and Wills take extended trips, Kate's parents often take care of them at their home.  That would've never been done a couple generations ago.  Of course, Prince Philip's mother had some rather significant mental health issues while Diana's father and his wife were not known for their interest in spending time with their grandkids; so it was also probably situational.

• Love 4
On 1/3/2017 at 2:01 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Well, there are prohibitions about direct heirs traveling with their heirs, in case the plane crashes or some other calamity happens and suddenly 1-3 heirs are wiped out at once. So Elizabeth could never have been on the same plane as Charles and Anne. Beyond that it was thought that continuity was best for the children. Why uproot them for a months long tour? As has been stated at that time and with members of that class, parents just were not as hands on as they are nowadays. My parents and his siblings had nurses (nannies)--they loved their grandparents but that's just how it was.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Well, there are prohibitions about direct heirs traveling with their heirs, in case the plane crashes or some other calamity happens and suddenly 1-3 heirs are wiped out at once. So Elizabeth could never have been on the same plane as Charles and Anne. Beyond that it was thought that continuity was best for the children. Why uproot them for a months long tour? As has been stated at that time and with members of that class, parents just were not as hands on as they are nowadays. My parents and his siblings had nurses (nannies)--they loved their grandparents but that's just how it was.

I don't know if it was common among their circle but I know it was common in the Royal family. Elizabeth's parents when on a months long trip to Australia when Elizabeth was a baby and had to leave her behind too.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2016 at 9:38 PM, GaT said:

"I have the kind of face if I don't smile everybody says oh, isn't she cross" The Queen has resting bitch face LOL.

Oh my, the hubs and I watched this tonight and I had to pause the show so I could explain resting bitch face to him!  Ha!

• Love 3

The portrayal of the queen mother is terrible, in my opinion. Maybe I just don't care for the actress, but she's made the character so unsympathetic. I keep thinking of Helena Bonham Carter's clear-eyed, steadfast interpretation of the role. Some of that would have been very welcome.

But perhaps it's the writers who don't care for QETQM. As someone else pointed out, claiming you have no purpose when actually you've been asked to fill in as the sovereign for six months is ridiculous. Especially when you choose to slot your dilettante youngest daughter in your place and don't even stay to give advice and support.

Edited by huahaha
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, huahaha said:

The portrayal of the queen mother is terrible, in my opinion. Maybe I just don't care for the actress, but she's made the character so unsympathetic. I keep thinking of Helena Bonham Carter's clear-eyed, steadfast interpretation of the role. Some of that would have been very welcome.

But perhaps it's the writers who don't care for QETQM. As someone else pointed out, claiming you have no purpose when actually you've been asked to fill in as the sovereign for six months is ridiculous. Especially when you choose to slot your dilettante youngest daughter in your place and don't even stay to give advice and support.

I'm having the same problem its hard to be sympathetic between that getting mad at her daughter asking about her lack of education only to complain about how unprepared her daughter is.  She could be helping Elizabeth adjust to her new role, give her advise and/or filled in for her. She could have stayed and helped Margaret and maybe try and keep her from messing up.  There are things she could be doing but she doesn't and then complains.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 9

Oh, Margaret.  Again, I feel for you on a lot of levels, because it sucks having to be separated from your significant other, due to some silly, dated rules and I understand why she wants to break out of Elizabeth's shadow and do her own thing.  But does she have to be so petty about it?  Her pre-banquet speech was charming and I could even look past her dig about not missing Elizabeth as being caught in the moment, but she apparently (off-screen) did things like show up late to events and insult or dismiss so pretty powerful people?  It's like she's trying to screw things up on purpose, but then gets all shocked when Elizabeth gets her the third-degree for it.  It really could be worse, Margaret.  If they wanted to, I wouldn't be surprised if Elizabeth or Churchill could actually send Peter somewhere that is even more unpleasant then somewhere that is simply "boring."  Vanessa Kirby though is still fantastic in the role.

Philip was also at his worst in this one, even if I imagine the trip probably was tiring and exhausting, and probably really didn't do that much to improve the monarchy, despite Churchill's claims.  But, really, he was lucky he only got a tennis racket thrown at him after he made that crack about Bertie getting cancer so he wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.  I'm all about the dark humor, but that was never going to land, Phillip.

Nice to see The Queen Mother get some stuff to do, even if I'm not quite sure it amounted to anything.  I did like the insight into how she felt when her power was suddenly taken away.  Wish that had been addressed more.  But, hey, it looks like the newly retired Tommy might be checking in on her, so yay for any excuse to have him show up!

• Love 3

Once again, while I agree with Philip in theory, I still want to smack the smugness out of him. He's going on and on about how this is all a show and as long as the titles are preposterous enough, then everything must be fine. This from the guy who CHOSE to marry into the royal family? Was Elizabeth's 13 year old personality so fascinating that he wanted to marry her DESPITE the fact that she was the heir apparent? Uh, no. He clearly wanted the title so he can STFU.

As for his whining about costumes for show vs uniforms being worn for battle, what about all the men in the military who never go into battle? Are they just wearing costumes? It is exhausting to listen to him whine about his petty complaints while his wife is doing things like grieving her father. And the annoying thing is that I agree with what Philip is saying about the old machine rusting beneath a new coat of paint, but I just can't with his condescending attitude about everything. He clearly thinks he's above it all while still enjoying all the privilege it affords him.

While part of me feels for QEQM for feeling useless now that her husband is dead and her daughters are grown and don't need her, I was so annoyed when she said that "they" took everything away from her and put it in the hands of an unequipped girl. Well, whose fault is it that she's unequipped? Who should have better prepared her for this job?

One again, Philip can't even bring himself to be polite when they're on tour. Saying, "Is that it? Can we knock off now?" as they're walking through crowds of local people lined up to see them was so fucking rude. As for his sarcastic remark about whether he would ever get time to pee, hello, that's what you should have been doing while your wife was changing into her millionth dress instead of sitting around making snide comments.

I have no pity for him. Elizabeth was born into this position. There was no way for her to avoid this fate once David abdicated. Philip, on the other hand, CHOSE to enter this life knowing that these would be his duties. If he didn't want to travel the world waving at people, he shouldn't have married Elizabeth.

Don't get me wrong - I know that a tour schedule like theirs is grueling. 57 Australian cities in 58 days? Sheesh. But he was such a sourpuss about the whole trip that when he suggested they skip a few stops, I felt like he was just trying to seize the opportunity to relax a little instead of genuinely wanting to help Elizabeth. What he said to Elizabeth about Bertie smoking was way over the line. He was being cruel just for the sake of being cruel. Not an attractive personality trait, man.

Who I really feel sorry for are Elizabeth and Margaret. They were born into these roles and there's nothing for them to do but accept their roles, but they're both chafing and envious of each other, knowing that there's nothing they can do about it.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What he said to Elizabeth about Bertie smoking was way over the line. He was being cruel just for the sake of being cruel. Not an attractive personality trait, man.

Absolutely. He’s acting like a petulant child. This is his JOB, being the Queen’s husband. She’s right there with him, away from home, smiling, traveling from place to place, never having a moment of peace.

What he said about her father (whom she loved dearly) was inexcusable! I’m glad she started throwing things at him he deserved it. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 5

Since Elizabeth became heir to the throne at a relatively young age and therefore could conceivably be educated to not only be Queen but an educated woman, I don't know why they couldn't do that for both her and Margaret, together. After all, in just the previous generation, the heir presumptive ended up abdicating. If I were that family, I wouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket. In any event, I thought Elizabeth had a good point in the previous episode which kind of carries over into this one. They taught her all about the Constitution and ceremony, but apparently didn't even bother with the most simplistic liberal arts education. I was shocked by that. They were lucky that her personality suited the job, unlike Margaret's. That being said, apparently Elizabeth might have made a great horse trainer or bookie since she seemed to know much more about that than her expert tutor.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Since Elizabeth became heir to the throne at a relatively young age and therefore could conceivably be educated to not only be Queen but an educated woman, I don't know why they couldn't do that for both her and Margaret, together. After all, in just the previous generation, the heir presumptive ended up abdicating. If I were that family, I wouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket. In any event, I thought Elizabeth had a good point in the previous episode which kind of carries over into this one. They taught her all about the Constitution and ceremony, but apparently didn't even bother with the most simplistic liberal arts education. I was shocked by that. They were lucky that her personality suited the job, unlike Margaret's. That being said, apparently Elizabeth might have made a great horse trainer or bookie since she seemed to know much more about that than her expert tutor.

Its crazy that they didn't bother to give her or Margaret a real education. George VI has said how unprepared he was when he suddenly ending up King. You would think he of all people would realize how necessary it is to educate both his daughters. Prepare Elizabeth for her future role and Margaret just in case. You would think his own father would have done the same thing. He only became heir after his older brother died.   

• Love 4
On 2/19/2018 at 8:44 PM, andromeda331 said:

Its crazy that they didn't bother to give her or Margaret a real education. George VI has said how unprepared he was when he suddenly ending up King. You would think he of all people would realize how necessary it is to educate both his daughters. Prepare Elizabeth for her future role and Margaret just in case. You would think his own father would have done the same thing. He only became heir after his older brother died.   

On 2/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Nidratime said:

I agree with both of you- but I think there was still sexism at play. Elizabeth & Margaret were girls before they were heirs....hence the lack of education. 

• Love 7

I'm mystified that so many people who recommended this show to me thought I'd love Margaret. I want to smack her almost every time she opens her mouth. She's not half as witty or entertaining as the show thinks she is or needs her to be. Others have nailed it, she wants all the privileges of her position without any of the obligations and responsibilities and I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, slf said:

I'm mystified that so many people who recommended this show to me thought I'd love Margaret. I want to smack her almost every time she opens her mouth. She's not half as witty or entertaining as the show thinks she is or needs her to be. Others have nailed it, she wants all the privileges of her position without any of the obligations and responsibilities and I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.

I'm pretty much in agreement with that. AFAIK she didn't exactly carry her load as a royal of public appearances, etc. She couldn't have if she spent as much time on her private Caribbean island (Mustique), and partying till dawn when at home, as her biographies indicate.

I remember 20 years ago, I was talking with a Brit guy who had been a young sailor in the British Navy in the 1950's, I think it was his National Service duty. He described being mustered to stand at attention on deck for a Royal Visit by Princess Margaret. She walked by him at a close distance. He said her makeup looked like it was applied with a trowel and she looked a bit the worse for wear (I understood that to mean she'd been partying late the night before). He wasn't charmed.

• Love 2

I enjoy Margaret as a character and Kirby's performance without liking Margaret as a person. I agree that she's not half as clever as she thinks she is and that she's a spoiled brat. 

I suspect every family has a Margaret. . . . 

• Love 11

Clearly the birth order and differential treatment of the two daughters played somewhat into how their personalities eventually developed, but it is also evident that practically from birth Elizabeth was dutiful and serious, and Margaret was narcissistic and spoiled. Can you imagine if the birth order had been reversed, with Margaret as heiress presumptive? Who knows if the monarchy would have even survived.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ombelico said:

Can you imagine if the birth order had been reversed, with Margaret as heiress presumptive? Who knows if the monarchy would have even survived.

The wrong brother was heir in their father's generation; it's how Elizabeth became queen, technically. But the consensus seems to be that even if the Prince of Wales had been willing to marry anyone other than Wallis, he was unlikely to have children. Sooner or later, the throne would have passed to his eldest brother's daughter. And it's true: if that heiress presumptive had been something of another Edward -- glamorous, self-centered, prone to ruining herself -- who knows. Britain might have decided to Crexit before crowning her. 

• Love 3

My suspicion is that if Margaret had been the heir, she would've probably found herself pinned in the same situation as Edward VIII because she was unfit to rule due to being so impulsive and unburdened by a sense of duty. 

So, I think she would have ultimately been forced to abdicate in favor of her sister. (Even the Peter Townsend thing would've done the trick.)

Of course, the damage to the crown in having two abdications in approximately twenty years of each other is incalculable. I'm sure the goodwill George VI had built up during his reign through the war would've evaporated quickly in the wake of another abdication scandal.

• Love 6
On 12/9/2016 at 12:16 AM, Crs97 said:

Well, isn't Margaret a delight?!?  Wow, if this truly is the treatment Elizabeth received from her mother and sister and husband . . . who needs enemies?

On 12/15/2016 at 5:44 AM, Zima said:

Idk, I feel for Margaret. Maybe it's because I'm the youngest, and I'm still fairly young, but I totally feel her insecurities and her wanting to shine.  She cannot be with the man she loves, and I've seen many of you say, "Oh, what's two years?" Two years feels like an eternity when you're away from the one you love; especially when you're only in your early twenties. She is obviously very intelligent and witty, but she's not allowed to do anything with any of that.  She feels stifled and trapped. Also, the actress is absolutely killing her scenes. Love her. 

Phillip is coming off as an asshole/little bitch, but I can't help but love Matt Smith in the role. I usually don't find him handsome, but the way he carries himself, how he is dressed and styled, and the way he looks at Elizabeth is really winning me over in a superficial way. 

On 12/15/2016 at 6:23 AM, Crs97 said:

I am the youngest, too, although not so young anymore, and would have sympathy except I haven't seen Margaret try to do anything other than party, sleep with a married man, and remind her sister that "Dad liked me best."  If we saw her ask about taking on a charity or actively seeking some sort of fulfilling work and being thwarted, I would feel for her.  Instead, when she was given a chance to shine, we discover she was late to events and rude to many of the people she was meant to inspire/encourage/thank.  Yes, it is hard to be away from the man you love, but her actions and threats were petty and childish, even for someone in her early-20's.  I'm not impressed.

On 12/15/2016 at 10:47 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Margaret actually looked down on her own grandmother, because May of Teck had been born a Serene, not Royal, Highness.

Savage!

That bit about when there are two sisters, one has to be the good one and one the bad, really was said by Margaret. And Margaret was actually very intelligent, easily the brightest member of the royal family. After her death Charles said one of the tragedies of her life was that she was far too intelligent for her station in life.

On 12/16/2016 at 3:14 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

Similarly Bertie had to issue a Letter Patent giving Charles and Anne (and any future children) appropriately royal ranks, since it could not come through their mother (even though she was the heiress presumptive).

My thoughts exactly. Damn, Philip, not only did you know what you were getting into, you sought it. You and Dickie angled and connived and maneuvered to marry into THE royal family, way WAY out of your league, and now you're pouty just because of your damn male ego. Philip drives me craaazy, I have never liked him. 

On 12/16/2016 at 8:37 PM, rubyred said:

Yeah this pissed me right off. Slagging off on how Elizabeth was "unprepared" to be Queen when in the previous episode the QM was so defensive about not preparing her! And then mentioning that Margaret got even less education -- yet Margaret seemed to think Elizabeth had the better life and Margaret would be a better queen because she had some wit. She knew even less, certainly she hadn't even had the constitutional history education E had. Argh. Like David/Edward, IMO Margaret would have been a lousy Queen (as it was and is defined now). It's not as if, given her allegedly vaunted intellect, she couldn't have gone out and gotten a real education or found a purpose or passion in life. She certainly had the resources. She grew up knowing the deal. She wanted to party and be glamorous, she didn't actually want the crown. But let's pout and whine and score burns about Daddy loving me best. Nice, sister. Sorry, I just can't with this one.

On 12/30/2016 at 12:31 PM, doodlebug said:

Margaret never did a whole lot; at least in part because, after her initial disastrous appearances; she got married and was having kids.  Meanwhile Anne and Charles were growing up and were able to share in the public duties.  Margaret was pretty well know to have a marked dislike for the typical royal stuff; visiting hospitals, attending military ceremonies, opening public buildings and special events.  She had to do some of it to maintain her stipend, but she didn't do a lot.  Margaret really did just want to be a jet setter; she wasn't ambitious for anything much more.

On the other hand, Anne, the Princess Royal, is an absolute workhorse, even to this day.  She makes far more personal appearances and serves on far more charitable boards than any other member of the royal family; to very little recognition or credit.  She's not glamorous, she doesn't suffer fools and she's not interested in clothes or showbiz or anything else that might put her in the spotlight.  By most accounts, she is very devoted and involved in her charities; far more than just a figurehead. Members of the Queen's staff have repeatedly commented about her work ethic and that she wants to be busy, she wants to serve.  She's a brilliant example of the modern royal.  And, of course, she refused the Queen's offer of royal titles for her husbands or her children; supposedly letting it be well known that she didn't think being a princess was all that.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, Guest said:

I have trouble being sympathetic with most of these people so I didn't love this episode.  I guess I feel a bit for Elizabeth missing her kids' childhood but it seems like she's mostly ok with it and it was the norm regardless of being queen or not.  But the rest (Phillip, Margaret, the mother)... oh boo hoo.  Their lives are not exactly difficult, hours of waving included.  It seems like most of the tension is the supporting players all wishing they were the sovereign themselves and all for selfish, petty reasons. 

My mother always thought Margaret was beautiful and I always thought she was a spoiled brat.

I feel like the parents thought the dumber and more homely sister got to be queen, which is so unfair to Elizabeth. Phillip is always whining about his manly pride, like he is not a poor prince who married a golden goose and Margaret thinks her sister boring and frumpy ...what a pair.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, qtpye said:

My mother always thought Margaret was beautiful and I always thought she was a spoiled brat.

I feel like the parents thought the dumber and more homely sister got to be queen, which is so unfair to Elizabeth. Phillip is always whining about his manly pride, like he is not a poor prince who married a golden goose and Margaret thinks her sister boring and frumpy ...what a pair.

It really is unfair for Elizabeth. She really has no support or help from anyone in her family. Her husband whines and blames her for everything even though he knew from the start she was going to Queen. He never shuts up, mans up or does anything supportive. Her sister blames her forever thing while thinking she's boring and frumpy. And her mother who really is as bad as Philip and Margaret. 

I just finished re-watching this episode after watching the last where the Queen Mother gets so defensive and dismissive about Elizabeth's concerned about her education. But has no problems telling people how unprepared her daughter is. Well, who's fault is that? Margaret is pissed in this episode and others at Elizabeth, who went back on her word. But the Queen Mother gets off scot free with her part in all of.  Tommy came to see the Queen Mother and the two talked Elizabeth into all sorts of problems Margaret marrying Peter would cause. She set in motion most likely assuming that the romance would die down but Elizabeth got the brunt of all Margaret's anger. Even though she saw their mother leaving and knew she was on her way to talk to Elizabeth.  She still blames her sister completely instead of their mother or at least both.

Then in this episode the Queen Mother wants Margaret to take over her duties cause she's been so down and thinks she needs this to get back to normal or back on track. Well, who's fault is that? When Elizabeth dares to question Margaret (you know because Margaret is Margaret) doing the duties her mother goes off on this weird tangent about how Margaret needs to shine, Elizabeth needs to let her shine, and crap. It makes no sense. Elizabeth's made it clear she doesn't even what the spotlight for herself and she's never blocked Margaret's from doing anything. Except marrying Peter which she was all for until the Queen Mother talked to her. It makes no sense. 

• Love 3
On 11/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, andromeda331 said:

It really is unfair for Elizabeth. She really has no support or help from anyone in her family. Her husband whines and blames her for everything even though he knew from the start she was going to Queen. He never shuts up, mans up or does anything supportive. Her sister blames her forever thing while thinking she's boring and frumpy. And her mother who really is as bad as Philip and Margaret. 

I just finished re-watching this episode after watching the last where the Queen Mother gets so defensive and dismissive about Elizabeth's concerned about her education. But has no problems telling people how unprepared her daughter is. Well, who's fault is that? Margaret is pissed in this episode and others at Elizabeth, who went back on her word. But the Queen Mother gets off scot free with her part in all of.  Tommy came to see the Queen Mother and the two talked Elizabeth into all sorts of problems Margaret marrying Peter would cause. She set in motion most likely assuming that the romance would die down but Elizabeth got the brunt of all Margaret's anger. Even though she saw their mother leaving and knew she was on her way to talk to Elizabeth.  She still blames her sister completely instead of their mother or at least both.

Then in this episode the Queen Mother wants Margaret to take over her duties cause she's been so down and thinks she needs this to get back to normal or back on track. Well, who's fault is that? When Elizabeth dares to question Margaret (you know because Margaret is Margaret) doing the duties her mother goes off on this weird tangent about how Margaret needs to shine, Elizabeth needs to let her shine, and crap. It makes no sense. Elizabeth's made it clear she doesn't even what the spotlight for herself and she's never blocked Margaret's from doing anything. Except marrying Peter which she was all for until the Queen Mother talked to her. It makes no sense. 

I do see Elizabeth as wanting the spotlight. Or the show showed her hating when others outshined her. Peter Townsend did on that one trip and then Margaret did while they were on Tour. It appears to have really ticked the queen off. 

Edited by Lamima
5 hours ago, Lamima said:

I do see Elizabeth as wanting the spotlight. Or the show showed her hating when others outshined her. Peter Townsend did on that one trip and then Margaret did while they were on Tour. It appears to have really ticked the queen off. 

I think it wasn't personal but about the ranking inside the instutition: if you are a lieutenant's wife, you don't try to outshine the colonel's wife. The Queen was in the official tour in Northern Ireland and the press was more interested about Margaret's love affair with Townsend's - and even more, he showed clearly to enjoy the spotlight (smiling as if he was already a member of the royal family instead of a mere servant still). And he dared to call her Lilibet before she had allowed him to do so! 

• Love 4

Rewatching, I found odd the question the duke of York (the future George VI) asked Edward VIII: do you really love her (Wallis who irl was in abroad) more than your family and your brother? Of course everybody who marries must love his/her spouse more than his/her family and siblings (even Bible says that a man must leave his father and mother and join his wife).

What he should have asked was of course: do you really put your will to marry her (not love, for he could have kept her as his mistress) before your duty to monarchy and your country for which so many soldiers have made even greater sacrifices? (One doesn't need to agree with this, but that was the value system of people like Lascelles who never forgave abdication.) 

Then follows the promise George VI wants his daughters make: to put each other above everything else - as if he was a simpleton who couldn't understand that there could be a conflict between sisterly love and the interest of monarchy.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Rewatching, I found odd the question the duke of York (the future George VI) asked Edward VIII: do you really love her (Wallis who irl was in abroad) more than your family and your brother? Of course everybody who marries must love his/her spouse more than his/her family and siblings (even Bible says that a man must leave his father and mother and join his wife).

What he should have asked was of course: do you really put your will to marry her (not love, for he could have kept her as his mistress) before your duty to monarchy and your country for which so many soldiers have made even greater sacrifices? (One doesn't need to agree with this, but that was the value system of people like Lascelles who never forgave abdication.) 

Then follows the promise George VI wants his daughters make: to put each other above everything else - as if he was a simpleton who couldn't understand that there could be a conflict between sisterly love and the interest of monarchy.  

True--seems like the writing was just intentionally setting up that conflict. Edward didn't seem to love anything more than himself--he would betray the crown as well as his family. But it seems unlikely that George would have put it in family terms. 

I could imagine with his daughters that he might have seen it more as reminding them to cherish the few personal relationships they could really have, but in context it does make it seem like he doesn't know the two things can be in conflict when he's just had that exact experience.

• Love 2

Margaret clearly gets her self-entitlement streak from the Queen Mum, as portrayed.  We get this impassioned speech about the difficulties of being someone important, and then "losing" it all.  Well, when she was needed, and then asked, to perform royal duties, she chafed and ran away.  Not a good look.  The thing of it is, she was absolutely revered by the people (with good reason).  The needs of drama in a TV show demand frictions, some of which can be overdrawn, or made up entirely.  

Churchill's need for power most certainly blinded him to the reality that the Commonwealth was on death's door.  But, his admonitions and later praise for Elizabeth herself were bang on.  Good on her for following through so intrepidly.

How many entertainments through the years have featured a celebrity or great success craving to be an ordinary Joe/Mary?  Remember the West Wing ep where Bartlett would not leave New Hampshire and the kitchen where he was a pot washer?  QETQM's dalliance was very well done, imo.  Of course, we only saw that area under sunny skies.   Surely, those conditions are not typical.  It sure was purdy, though.

Any contrivance that brings Tommy to my TV screen works for me.

I always think of the Beatles' "Back in the USSR" whenever the royal plane is shown.  "Flew in from Miami Beach, B.O.A.C."  British Overseas Airways Corporation.  British Airways today.  The Commonwealth of Australia still has QANTAS  (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services).

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Margaret clearly gets her self-entitlement streak from the Queen Mum, as portrayed.  We get this impassioned speech about the difficulties of being someone important, and then "losing" it all.  Well, when she was needed, and then asked, to perform royal duties, she chafed and ran away.  Not a good look.  The thing of it is, she was absolutely revered by the people (with good reason).  The needs of drama in a TV show demand frictions, some of which can be overdrawn, or made up entirely.  

I never noticed that but your right.