Type keyword(s) to search

Leah Remini: Courageous or Foolhardy

• Start Topic

Leah is a pretty specific type for casting purposes (the brash friend with zingers), but I hope she continues to get work. I've always liked her as an actor, limited range notwithstanding. I watched her reality show and she seems to provide some financial support for her extended family as well.

I read that some former Scientologists still follow the teachings on their own even though they disagree with the church leaders. Audit each other? I don't know. It doesn't seem like Leah is doing that, but she does still seem to think that the religion itself has good things to offer.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed her book.  I don't think she had much of a career left by the point she spoke out, so I think her motivation is 70% to expose CoS but about 30% of it is for hope of attention/reviving her career.  I'm glad she's doing it either way though.

14 hours ago, Sonoma said:

I'm not saying she has just given up on her career.  Obviously she is not going to turn down a good role.  However, there are risks involved in what she is doing by taking on Scientology.  They do still have connections and some influence within Hollywood.  So she knew what she was getting into by taking on the COS in that it could very well end up costing her a normal career.  But I think she has accepted that.

I doubt Scientology has any influence.  They have 4 celebs (Tom, Travolta, Will Smith and Kirsty) and Tom is losing favor given the Spieberg incident reported in the other thread (tried to recruit his son on a movie set), I would think.  They are a very tiny part of the general population. They would LOVE to think they have influence over anything but they don't.   

I agree, @lordonia.  Leah is limited in scope for a role.  I would not be surprised to learn that her expose work will boost her ability to land a role. though.  

• Love 3

Other actors who are more low key about being Scientologists: Jenna Elfman, Juliette Lewis, Elisabeth Moss, Laura Prepon, Danny Masterson, Giovanni Ribisi, Catherine Bell, Nancy Cartwright. That's a lot of boycotting for me!

I think Mimi Rogers -- she who has Much to Answer For -- has left the church.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

Other actors who are more low key about being Scientologists: Jenna Elfman, Juliette Lewis, Elisabeth Moss, Laura Prepon, Danny Masterson, Giovanni Ribisi, Catherine Bell, Nancy Cartwright. That's a lot of boycotting for me!

I think Mimi Rogers -- she who has Much to Answer For -- has left the church.

Nancy Cartwright famously donated (publically, of course) $10 million to the CO$ a couple of years ago.  Bart!  How could you let her do it?

A couple of weeks ago there was an extremely boring episode of The Walking Dead centering on a previously minor character played by Alana Masterson.  Several viewers pointed out that she's a Scieno.

Seems Travolta has been flying under the radar for years now, especially since the death of his son.  Many think he really doesn't give two craps about Xenu and is coming to terms with the "issue" the Church has held over him.

Yeah - the only cash cow left is Tommy - and even people who like his movies acknowledge he's nuts.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Nancy Cartwright famously donated (publically, of course) $10 million to the CO$ a couple of years ago.  Bart!  How could you let her do it?

A couple of weeks ago there was an extremely boring episode of The Walking Dead centering on a previously minor character played by Alana Masterson.  Several viewers pointed out that she's a Scieno.

Seems Travolta has been flying under the radar for years now, especially since the death of his son.  Many think he really doesn't give two craps about Xenu and is coming to terms with the "issue" the Church has held over him.

Yeah - the only cash cow left is Tommy - and even people who like his movies acknowledge he's nuts.

Travolta will always stay because of the blackmail material.  But there's also reports that his wife, Kelly Preston, is a true fanatic, and she helps keep him there.  It's been said that Travolta began to question the "religion" after the death of their son, and the treatment that they may or may not have declined due to the extreme rejection of psychiatric drugs (often similar to the drugs used with epilepsy, and other neurological conditions).

Ultimately, the "church" periodically makes his sexual assault accusers go away, and that's probably worth it to him.

I also think that true believers actually suffer from delusions and other mental illness after so many decades.  Tom Cruise has reported that he hasn't been sick since he joined the cult (and cannot get sick), and he can actually single-handedly get people off of heroine, like that *snap*.   In one CO$ video, he talks of how a Scientologist can't drive by the scene of a car accident, because they know that they are the ONLY person who can help (fuck first responders, I guess).   And while I haven't seen or read an interview where he actually said it, I frequently read that he claims to be able to teleport.  In Going Clear, Jason Beghe explained how deluded and messed up his thought processes were after leaving the cult. 

• Love 12
On 12/5/2016 at 4:01 PM, lordonia said:

Leah is a pretty specific type for casting purposes (the brash friend with zingers), but I hope she continues to get work. I've always liked her as an actor, limited range notwithstanding. I watched her reality show and she seems to provide some financial support for her extended family as well.

I read that some former Scientologists still follow the teachings on their own even though they disagree with the church leaders. Audit each other? I don't know. It doesn't seem like Leah is doing that, but she does still seem to think that the religion itself has good things to offer.

Without detailing how I know, I can honestly say that Leah does not financially support anyone but herself, her daughter and her husband. 

I do not recall anything on her reality show that indicated she was supporting extended family members.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

I do not recall anything on her reality show that indicated she was supporting extended family members.

All we saw was George working part time at the family cafe and that doesn't seem like enough to support him and Vicki and their nice house. Same with Shannon and William, but who knows.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, lordonia said:

All we saw was George working part time at the family cafe and that doesn't seem like enough to support him and Vicki and their nice house. Same with Shannon and William, but who knows.

Right. It is a tv show. Not much of their personal lives were divulged as far as finances are concerned.  Certainly not something they would want to divulge to a tv audience. The cafe was shown but that is not the only source of income.

George recently was ill. He was in ICU a few weeks back. He does not really spend that much time working at the cafe. That was more for the show. He is much better now. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 3

I applaud Leah for her courage.  I loved her book...a real eye opener.  As for her acting, she might be able to handle meatier roles...no on thought Sally Fields was much of an actress when she was doing the Flying Nun.  Then she did Sybll (sp.?) and all that changed.  I wish her well.   One of my major objections to the COS is that they use the cross as a symbol...they are most definitely NOT a Christian church.  Hubbard himself said that they taught people to be able to help and solve their problems themselves. 

• Love 7
On 12/6/2016 at 8:33 AM, wings707 said:

I doubt Scientology has any influence.  They have 4 celebs (Tom, Travolta, Will Smith and Kirsty) and Tom is losing favor given the Spieberg incident reported in the other thread (tried to recruit his son on a movie set), I would think.  They are a very tiny part of the general population. They would LOVE to think they have influence over anything but they don't.   

I agree, @lordonia.  Leah is limited in scope for a role.  I would not be surprised to learn that her expose work will boost her ability to land a role. though.  

As far as Tom is concerned, also keep in mind that he's a big corporation of his own. All of his movies are produced by his production company so he's not just taking home $s as the lead, he's getting EP $s as well. That's where the big money is, in foreign distribution and aftermarket deals (Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc.). And he employs a significant number of other members of CO$ including his sister who runs the production company. They are bringing money into the church is ways that actors like Leah and Kirsty cannot. Will Smith is another who could be bringing money in both through personal donations and cashflow off of his companies, but I know that his production partners are childhood friends from Philly. Unless they've gone Hollywood, they aren't part of the CO$ crowd which may be why Will is so much cagier with his involvement than Leah or Travolta. And we forgot Anne Archer and Terry Jastrow off this list. Not A listers but definitely B+ listers and their son is the new Mike Riner.

Leah is going up against a lot of folks that could blackball her even just with the lists that have been named here.  

• Love 4

I'd rather be blackballed than intimidated by those goons.  Anyway, Leah's a female in her mid-late 40s, and unless you're Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren, we know what that means careerwise in Hollywood.  I hope A&E has the backbone to turn the cameras right around on any cult harassment.

I haven't seen mention of Davy Miscavige's father's book.  He talks about the private investigators who tailed him all over after he'd blown.  Once, in a parking lot, he leaned over to get something in his car and his clutched his left chest to keep his iPhone from falling out of his pocket T.  Somehow he got hold of the recording of the spies calling Davy to report it looked like his father was having a heart attack and should they do anything.  Davy answered "If he dies, he dies".

Whether true or not, I can't say I'm surprised if it actually happened.  This cult is that creepy.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

Right. It is a tv show. Not much of their personal lives were divulged as far as finances are concerned.  Certainly not something they would want to divulge to a tv audience. The cafe was shown but that is not the only source of income.

George recently was ill. He was in ICU a few weeks back. He does not really spend that much time working at the cafe. That was more for the show. He is much better now. 

Thank you for posting the update.  I really was hoping her reality show would be picked up by some network.  It was really lighthearted and her family seems great. 

• Love 3
On 12/6/2016 at 1:07 PM, lordonia said:

I didn't know about Elisabeth Moss!  I feel like this explains so much about why I have just instinctively never liked her lol.  (And have never thought she was anything special as an actress, she's just blah.  Not to mention unfortunate looking, but that's neither here nor there...)

On 12/7/2016 at 0:36 AM, RedheadZombie said:

I also think that true believers actually suffer from delusions and other mental illness after so many decades.  Tom Cruise has reported that he hasn't been sick since he joined the cult (and cannot get sick), and he can actually single-handedly get people off of heroine, like that *snap*.   In one CO$ video, he talks of how a Scientologist can't drive by the scene of a car accident, because they know that they are the ONLY person who can help (fuck first responders, I guess).   And while I haven't seen or read an interview where he actually said it, I frequently read that he claims to be able to teleport.  In Going Clear, Jason Beghe explained how deluded and messed up his thought processes were after leaving the cult. 

I've seen that video of Tom a few times over the years, and literally every time I watch it, it's like I had forgotten just how crazy and bizarre it is, so I end up sitting there with my mouth hanging open.  I seriously feel bad for his diehard fans who grew up loving him only to find out he's nuts.  And an asshole, for not caring that other Scientologists, those far more lowly than him, are basically treated like slaves in order to give him everything his crazy little heart desires.

But to address the point of the topic, I absolutely think that Leah is brave to be doing this.  And not even because it could be dangerous career-wise, but because it could be truly dangerous in general.  Messing with people's money (especially psychos like Miscaviage) is no joke, and that's essentially what she's doing by exposing the church like this.

• Love 23
On 12/6/2016 at 9:36 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Travolta will always stay because of the blackmail material.  But there's also reports that his wife, Kelly Preston, is a true fanatic, and she helps keep him there.  It's been said that Travolta began to question the "religion" after the death of their son, and the treatment that they may or may not have declined due to the extreme rejection of psychiatric drugs (often similar to the drugs used with epilepsy, and other neurological conditions).

Ultimately, the "church" periodically makes his sexual assault accusers go away, and that's probably worth it to him.

I heard through contacts that both John and Kelly were treating Jett outside the Scieno realm and that John has privately discouraged people from joining the "Church."  I think he publicly stays in because of auditing sessions that were recorded and transcribed but maybe for the most part he's really not involved so much any longer.  I don't believe Kelly is as fervent as she once was either.  

I still remember that interview with Cruise where he claimed to have gotten a man off heroin in 3 days.  Sure, Tom!   He has clearly gone to the base in Clearwater where all the members believe and are told they have superpowers. 

17 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

As far as Tom is concerned, also keep in mind that he's a big corporation of his own. All of his movies are produced by his production company so he's not just taking home $s as the lead, he's getting EP $s as well. That's where the big money is, in foreign distribution and aftermarket deals (Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc.). And he employs a significant number of other members of CO$ including his sister who runs the production company. They are bringing money into the church is ways that actors like Leah and Kirsty cannot. Will Smith is another who could be bringing money in both through personal donations and cashflow off of his companies, but I know that his production partners are childhood friends from Philly. Unless they've gone Hollywood, they aren't part of the CO$ crowd which may be why Will is so much cagier with his involvement than Leah or Travolta. And we forgot Anne Archer and Terry Jastrow off this list. Not A listers but definitely B+ listers and their son is the new Mike Riner.

Leah is going up against a lot of folks that could blackball her even just with the lists that have been named here.  

I thought Anne Archer was out?  I know that her son Tommy Davis is pretty high up.  Sad. 

58 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I didn't know about Elisabeth Moss!  I feel like this explains so much about why I have just instinctively never liked her lol.  (And have never thought she was anything special as an actress, she's just blah.  Not to mention unfortunate looking, but that's neither here nor there...)

I've seen that video of Tom a few times over the years, and literally every time I watch it, it's like I had forgotten just how crazy and bizarre it is, so I end up sitting there with my mouth hanging open.  I seriously feel bad for his diehard fans who grew up loving him only to find out he's nuts.  And an asshole, for not caring that other Scientologists, those far more lowly than him, are basically treated like slaves in order to give him everything his crazy little heart desires.

But to address the point of the topic, I absolutely think that Leah is brave to be doing this.  And not even because it could be dangerous career-wise, but because it could be truly dangerous in general.  Messing with people's money (especially psychos like Miscaviage) is no joke, and that's essentially what she's doing by exposing the church like this.

I agree that Leah is brave to be doing this.  No telling what they have on her and her family and friends.  Hearing what they did to Marty Rathbun is no joke. 

• Love 7

I think Leah is very smart going public and reporting what happens to people who tell the truth about the CO$. If anything untoward were to happen to her? It just backs up what she is exposing. The CO$ are bat shit crazy for no doubt, but surely even they know that if something bad happens to Leah?  Yeah they are suspect #1.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I didn't know about Elisabeth Moss!  I feel like this explains so much about why I have just instinctively never liked her lol. 

I just now remembered that she was married to Fred Armisen. It was less than a year but I wonder if her religion had anything to do with their divorce. Maybe more details about Scientology's fees or something came out once they were married. I can't see Fred putting up that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, fastiller said:

I really like this so far. I apologize for this in advance, because it is so shallow: I keep getting distracted by Ms. Remini's talon nails.

We now return to the much more in depth conversation, previously in progress.

We can paddle in the shallow end together because I thought exactly the same thing.  How does she eat/drive/brush her teeth with those things?

• Love 11
On 12/7/2016 at 4:14 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I don't believe Tom has ANY power in Hollywood at all.   Just because he owns a production company so he can make movies because no one else will hire him does not make him powerful.  Production companies are typically small other than the huge well known operations.  

No one can black ball Leah.  Pixar is going to say, we cannot hire Leah because Tom is pissed at her!?   pffffft  He is a nobody to anyone outside CO$.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

There was a story that when one of the Mission: Impossible (3, I think) installments was shown to preview audiences they burst out laughing during the opening scene where Tommy was tied to a chair having the tar beaten out of him.  A lot of questions about whether audiences were turning on Mr. Box Office.

I thought it was hilarious that his latest Jack Reacher opus got whupped opening week by Boo! A Medea Halloween.

• Love 8

Go onto Leah's Twitter and click her link for the prices charged to be an outstanding CULT member.

Holy crap! Tithing is one thing, extortion and abuse is another!

Thanks Leah for getting this info out to the public for scrutiny.

Once again let's get their tax exempt status revoked and "audit" (see what I did there) the shit out of them ( I wouldn't mind some of my hard earned tax dollars being put to use for this) for not only back taxes but also involve the FBI for "church" abuse ( atrocities to mankind)  to it's own members.

Because they are international RICO may also apply. This is why crackpot LRH wanted to live on a boat to make it hard for any country to file charges against the CULT.

Edited by mbaywife123
Not finished with my post.
  • Love 17

Leah comes across as very likeable, which is essential in chipping away at the once indestructible CO$ machine.  Other celebrity members (and the Church sure is hung up on celebrities the way Vegas casinos spend megabucks landing their whales and keeping them happy) are fast fading and looking downright ridiculous.

CO$ has launched major efforts to snag Will Smith, J Lopez, James Packer (Australian zillionaire and former Mariah squeeze) without success.  When did they recruit their last big-name star?  Or even medium-name star?

I hope Leah and her Nails of Doom continue to go after them hammer and tongs.

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Leah comes across as very likeable, which is essential in chipping away at the once indestructible CO$ machine.  Other celebrity members (and the Church sure is hung up on celebrities the way Vegas casinos spend megabucks landing their whales and keeping them happy) are fast fading and looking downright ridiculous.

CO$ has launched major efforts to snag Will Smith, J Lopez, James Packer (Australian zillionaire and former Mariah squeeze) without success.  When did they recruit their last big-name star?  Or even medium-name star?

I hope Leah and her Nails of Doom continue to go after them hammer and tongs.

Nails of Doom!!

Let's keep the pressure on this CULT and shut them down, I don't wish to see another Jonestown, Peoples Temple, Moonies and mass member suicides for no reason except for brainwashing innocent people into believing the total nonsense of a crazy person, especially their innocent children who had no choice (Jonestown and Peoples Temple are the worst, read the stories and view the pictures, truly horrifying!)

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

^^^ innocent children is right.

I worked with the sweetest guy in the world who was having his breakfast at home when his 2-year-old grabbed his coffee mug and spilled the hot stuff on her hands.  They took her to the doctor and BAM - social services was paying them a call before they knew it.  The guy was practically in tears talking about it.

This cult raises babies on barley water, fails to give them a meaningful education, denies needed medical care (cough - Jett Travolta - cough), restricts their socialization, exploits them for cheap labor - and where is social services?

smh

Social Services is a good place to start for the children,

Let a case worker or truancy officer ask why are these infants & children not cared for properly by a licensed day care facility and why are the school aged children not in attendance at public school or being accounted for with home schooling

People need to realize that their property taxes include the taxes for the schools in their district. Credits for the days children attend school, debits for the days they don't. So this CULT is also screwing with honest taxpayers.

Edited by mbaywife123
Autocorrect spellings!
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

I thought Will Smith was a Scientologist. No?

A lot of people suspect he is, but I according to Rinder and writer Tony Ortega, he isn't.  Apparently Will's buddies with Tommy - plus he and Jada have raised two weird kids who claim to have supernatural powers - leading to Will's connection with CO$.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

A lot of people suspect he is, but I according to Rinder and writer Tony Ortega, he isn't.  Apparently Will's buddies with Tommy - plus he and Jada have raised two weird kids who claim to have supernatural powers - leading to Will's connection with CO$.

I am one of those who suspects.  :^)  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 8
On 12/8/2016 at 6:16 PM, lordonia said:

I just now remembered that she was married to Fred Armisen. It was less than a year but I wonder if her religion had anything to do with their divorce. Maybe more details about Scientology's fees or something came out once they were married. I can't see Fred putting up that.

I think it more to do with his massive amount of cheating.

I just don't like Leah and while I am not saying she shouldn't speak out I found her annoying and that she doesn't actual acknowledge the shitty things she did when she was in the church.

Edited by biakbiak

I think her book, which was a page-turner, as well as this show, are her efforts to use her clout to make amends. Breaking away from any cult, whether it be Co$, FLDS, or extreme Christian fundamentalism (ie. Duggars), is never easy, and changes do not happen overnight. Leah is making amends in the ways she thinks will are most effective to expose the underbelly of this particular cult. 

She may not be doing what *regular people* would do, because since age nine, she hasn't been "regular." Let her do things her her own way, in her own time. Her family has only been out for three years. Give them time, and in the meantime, let Leah try to destroy this cult in her own way. 

She can't do it alone, but she can at least kick the doors wide open. I hope others defectors have the courage to follow suit. 

• Love 24
On 12/8/2016 at 9:55 AM, psychoticstate said:

I still remember that interview with Cruise where he claimed to have gotten a man off heroin in 3 days.  Sure, Tom!   He has clearly gone to the base in Clearwater where all the members believe and are told they have superpowers. 

Three days is how long it takes to clear water soluble drugs like heroin from your system. It's how long withdrawals usually last. So, Tom is spinning the hell out of shit, but there's nothing strange about getting off heroin in three days. It is just a matter of whether you are able to stay away afterward withdrawal ends. That's a psychological issue, which is addressed through a proper support system. 

• Love 8

I think it's notable that, as deep into Scientiology as Leah was, she never made own young daughter join. I'm not sure if Sofia went to a school that uses Hubbard's teaching methods.

Leah and Angelo also had Sofia re-baptized Catholic this past September. Leah said the family had "gone home" by returning to their previous religion.

• Love 4

I noticed that Leah's book is out of stock in paperback at Amazon. It's currently ranked #2,281 in books and #959 in Kindle. Who knows what it was before the series started, but it has to have gotten a significant bump.

I don't begrudge Leah her profits one bit, either -- I only hope it went some way towards recompensing her for all the money she gave to that benighted organization in the first place.

• Love 8

I'm curious about Travolta...if he wanted to leave the COS, could he do so?  Considering that Miscavige seems to hang his hat on the fact that Travolta, Kirstie and Tom are his big celebrity endorsers, what happens if one of those big names decides to leave?

I'm also curious as to why we haven't heard (that I know of) anything from the Big Three regarding Leah.  Or do they think she's beneath them and not worthy of comment?

As vocal as Kirstie and Tom have been in the past, it seems that if a television show attacking their church comes on the air to critical acclaim, they'd be tripping over themselves trying to get TV time to refute everything.  Their silence is almost scarier.

• Love 6
On 12/6/2016 at 9:21 AM, tabloidlover said:

Not to mention, when is the last time Kirsty Alley or John Travolta had work?   I agree that Scientology has no influence in Hollywood. 

Oddly, I don't mind a Tom Cruise movie, and adore John Travolta in Michael.  Scientology has no affect on my decisions at all.

I hope more and more people realize Scientology is just a cult...nothing else.  A very dangerous one.

The government needs to step in and rid them of their tax shelter, and dismantle the program with minors.  It's child abuse.

• Love 5
On 12/8/2016 at 11:58 AM, Trace said:

I think Leah is very smart going public and reporting what happens to people who tell the truth about the CO$. If anything untoward were to happen to her? It just backs up what she is exposing. The CO$ are bat shit crazy for no doubt, but surely even they know that if something bad happens to Leah?  Yeah they are suspect #1.

I agree.  The public coverage is a safety net of sorts.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I'm curious about Travolta...if he wanted to leave the COS, could he do so?  Considering that Miscavige seems to hang his hat on the fact that Travolta, Kirstie and Tom are his big celebrity endorsers, what happens if one of those big names decides to leave?

I'm also curious as to why we haven't heard (that I know of) anything from the Big Three regarding Leah.  Or do they think she's beneath them and not worthy of comment?

As vocal as Kirstie and Tom have been in the past, it seems that if a television show attacking their church comes on the air to critical acclaim, they'd be tripping over themselves trying to get TV time to refute everything.  Their silence is almost scarier.

Travolta made a statement about it. Something along the lines of the special being beneath him, not worth his time and that the church has always been good to him. Off to look for the link.

Here it is, scroll down to the second article.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inquisitr.com/3808809/scientology-struggle-leah-remini-faces-off-against-tom-cruise-and-john-travolta/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

• Love 3

I just don't like Leah and while I am not saying she shouldn't speak out I found her annoying and that she doesn't actual acknowledge the shitty things she did when she was in the church.

She said in the very first episode, and has said in subsequent episodes, that she feels very responsible for promoting the church while she was in it and, now that she realizes what it is (a cult), she feels very responsible for exposing it. So...

• Love 9