Type keyword(s) to search

Stan Against Evil - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm optimistic so far. I don't watch any, er, similar shows but I liked this on its own. McGinley strikes the right note of vestigial responsibility warring with his bone-weary don't give a fuckedness. I also liked that Evie jumped in feet first, no sniveling.

• Love 2

I've been struggling to remember the name of this show because even the title is reminiscent of that other show.  So far, I haven't seen much of a difference between the two shows expect for what is on the surface level, Stan being the ex-sheriff, having a daughter, a little less of a cocky attitude, etc.  If Ash didn't exist, I think I may have appreciated Stan more.  For now, I'm watching because I have loved John C. McGinley since his days on "Scrubs", but I think I'll need to see a few more episodes before I can be really invested in its campiness without constantly comparing the two.

• Love 1

There is room for both ash and stan both are hilarious! My favourite part of this show was when stan asked if we ever saw someone get hit with a bag of oranges... paused... and the said stay tuned with the biggest grin on his face! Also waiving it around after getting them hahaha

Season 2 premier did not disappoint! The first part was funnier than the second, but both were in keeping with the high level of awesome that I've come to expect. 

Sheriff Miller is everything I want to be when I grow up! And the next time things are not going my way in life, I'm preemptively deciding that God is telling me to start day-drinking. 

McGinley is an absolute treasure! 

I can't imagine another actor getting away with lines like, "I'm not saying I'm Jesus-God knows I hate the meek". That made me laugh just typing it! 

We really should have a thread for best lines in every episode! 

They have introduced a bunch of new elements for season 2. The lame duck Black Hat society is hilarious. The 4 of them day-chanting over Claire Miller's grave was a bit confusing though (although still awesomely funny). It made me wonder if they are going to take a shot at bringing her back as a character this season, which I would approve of. I would love to meet the woman who could live with Sherrif Miller for 30+ years while secretly massacring various and sundry evildoers under his very nose. 

But that wet blanket Judy, the lactose intolerant ginger is best taken in small doses I feel. And Clifford is not any better. I think that Denise has got the entire market of slightly crazy eccentric character traits covered for this cast. I hope they keep the focus on the creepy time-travelling starving looking girl and the head of the Black Hat society. I worry that expanding the cast too much might take screen time away for McGinly and that would be a shameful mistake!

• Love 1

2.03 "Curse of the Werepony"

I have long thought that the fx department on this show must be enjoying their jobs more than anybody else in the industry. And I'm pretty sure this episode proved that beyond any shadow of a doubt! The evil pony transformations were inspired, especially the tail. 

I'm going to give the best line of the show to Leon for "something tells me the threadcount of these sheets is 666". Nate Mooney was really on point this episode. His delivery and expressions harken back to the late great John Ritter. 

Runner-up to Sherrif Miller with " Denise I've told you 1000 times, the only chick flick allowed in this house is Terminator 2!".

I think my favorite scene was early in the show when Evie was building the Ikea hitching post and having a haunting extraneous piece left over. We've all been there and I feel your pain!

Great shout out to "Aliens" with the drooling pony scene too. 

I found it difficult to believe that even youthful stupidity would account for Evie marrying that imbecile Kenny in the first place. But I enjoyed her and Miller bonding over both of them dumping his ass. 

2.04 "Girl's Night"

Best line of the show goes to Sheriff Miller once again with "Glory hole's in the bathroom there Liberace".

Runner-up is Sheriff Miller again with "Sometimes you gotta let that shit go there Jazz hands."

That origin story for Sheriff Miller was dark, inappropriately hilarious and yet somehow unsurprising. Which somewhat made up for how boring the villain of this episode was. Even having Evie go all "the Shining" on Denise and Leon was a bit of a letdown given that this guy was pretty flat. 

I was once again left with the question of how old Denise's character is supposed to be. Usually she comes across as really eccentric and off-beat. But turning the beanbag into a waterbed was veering into brain damage territory, even if it did save the day in the end. 

I am starting to suspect that they are setting up a triangle between Sheriff Miller, Evie and Claire. It is now clear that Miller is intending to attempt time travel in order to save Claire's life. Which is an interesting plot that I am looking forward to. But tonight's demon mentioned that he thought that Miller loved Evie and I am not liking the possibility that the show might be going in a romantic direction for these two.

They are perfect as a pair of people with wildly different personalities who are forced through circumstance into teaming up. And now they both have a reluctant affection for the other, which works very well for the comedy. And mad props to both McGinley and Varney because they are both killing it! But I would hate to see them go for a romantic relationship, so I hope that I am wrong about that and I just mis-read some cues this episode. 

I have been kind of meh on this season but episode 5 (The Eyes of Evie Barrett) was pretty funny. Denise coming back from the car with all the crow pecks in her face, Stan telling Evie it's her own fault she's getting hit on: "you have clean hair, your gums are good, you're outside. You're putting out all the signals", and pretty much all of Leon's lines.

After binging all the broadcast episodes.... its ok.

I could do without Denise.  I just can't with the whole 'tween girl in a woman's body', outside of the cartoon medium.  I could deal if they explained it was some deficiency that caused her mental age to stay really young, but its not, so her best scenes are when she's not on-screen (JMO).  Does the actress do voice-work for cartoons?  The voice sounds really generic in the sense that she sounds like the daughter on any show like Family Guy.

Stan Miller is a caricature of what Ash will look and be like in 10-15 years.  Older, cantankerous and gives no Fs.   They do give him some good one-liners at times, though.  (describing what the wedding night would have been like the 200-year old witch in 'The Eyes of Evie Barrett'):  "Here's another one... it'd be like a dolphin's blowhole surrounded by chicken fat."

Evie Barrett.  Hot Cop.  Even the wereponies are hot to trot for her.  Even for a comedy, it was a little absurd about how fast she and Stan came together to fight the witches, etc.   But seeing as there are only 8 eps a season, and 21 minutes per episode, I guess they didn't have any real time to dilly-dally in getting things started.

Deputy Leon Drinkwater.  If this were a more serious show, I'd hate this guy.  But since its a comedy, he makes me bark out laughs instead.

Like I said, its ok, and makes me laugh at times.   "You just going to stand there and watch me die?"  "Nope.  I'm actually gonna go catch the end of SportsCenter.  Cya."

• Love 2

I think you really had to be into Mothra to really enjoy the first episode.

In the second episode, Leon's beatdown went on for so long, that I found myself chuckling by the end. I also liked the conclusion of the episode. 

• Love 1
On 11/9/2017 at 10:34 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

I am starting to suspect that they are setting up a triangle between Sheriff Miller, Evie and Claire. It is now clear that Miller is intending to attempt time travel in order to save Claire's life. Which is an interesting plot that I am looking forward to. But tonight's demon mentioned that he thought that Miller loved Evie and I am not liking the possibility that the show might be going in a romantic direction for these two.

They are perfect as a pair of people with wildly different personalities who are forced through circumstance into teaming up. And now they both have a reluctant affection for the other, which works very well for the comedy. And mad props to both McGinley and Varney because they are both killing it! But I would hate to see them go for a romantic relationship, so I hope that I am wrong about that and I just mis-read some cues this episode. 

I didn't put too much thought into this when you made the post or through last season, but then they started this season with some [seemingly] strong subtext.  What with Stan telling Evie in the end that he got through to her (thus ending the illusion) by "... staring in your eyes and we *fingers threaded together*."

As long they keep it very low-key and most of it played for humor, I wouldn't mind some Stevie on the show. 

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

So McLovin was supposed to be some super sexy vampire that had Denise AND Evie swooning? Sorry, not buying it.

Edited to add: I do think it's funny how Kevin keeps saying, "it's Kevin. I dig graves at the cemetery?" like nobody knows who he is. I also love the random magazines they are always reading!

Edited by Jordan61
  • Love 1

As a much younger and cuter Slayer once said, "Puppets give me the wiggins."  I totally agree.  Creepy puppets with teeth creep me out too!  So of course we have to have an episode chock full of killer puppets.  Ick!

I thought the vampire ("Depeche Mode"...hee!) needed to be a lot hotter for that plot to work.  He was too nebbish.  But I did enjoy everyone getting sucked into the mirror and Dumbass Leon always being left behind.  Kevin is growing on me.  I like him as a continuing character.

• Love 1

The first episode "Intensive Scare Unit" was great. As a big Scrubs fan I loved all the references. That doctor was hilarious too. Trying to call time of death when Stan was still alive and saying oh shit! when Denise pulled the gun.

• Love 1
On 11/25/2018 at 5:41 PM, Red Bridey said:

Was that the end of the series or just the season?

They didn't announce the renewal for season 3 until January this past year. Dana Gould tweeted on November 21: "Th-th-th-that's all, folks! Or is it?" I hope IFC brings it back!

• Love 2
On 11/29/2018 at 9:04 PM, Jordan61 said:

They didn't announce the renewal for season 3 until January this past year. Dana Gould tweeted on November 21: "Th-th-th-that's all, folks! Or is it?" I hope IFC brings it back!

I just read that it's been canceled. 😢

ETA: Figured I should include a link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stan-evil-canceled-at-ifc-1180473

I'm so bummed!

Edited by Rachel81
added link