Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

For live discussion of the 2016 Election Night coverage. This topic will open on Tuesday evening, November 8, at 6:45 pm ET, and will close when the election is called by the major networks or 2:00 am ET, November 9 (whichever is first).

Reminder of the forum rules:

We all know political talk on the net is a loaded shitbomb so we won't be giving out many second chances for anyone who can't speak their mind without attacking other posters/making it personal. Think twice, post once. On the flip side, if you're about to report a post, know the difference between the personal and the political.

Keep it civil folks!

• Love 6

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed reading the interesting, informative comments on these threads.  However the election turns out, it's really been quite the ride thanks to all of you.

• Love 9

Useful tool, of all places, from the UK Guardian website.  What's so useful?  Side by side with the Presidential Electoral count are the Senate and House Results (a count at least):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2016/nov/08/us-election-2016-results-live-clinton-trump?view=map&type=presidential

CNN's "battleground map", showing up to date solid predictions and expected battle states:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/04/politics/road-to-270-electoral-college-map-november-4-duplicate/index.html

Five-Thity-Eight's Election Blog, if you care what Nate Silver and his cohorts think (updated every few minutes, but it's not a map, it's blogged text):

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2016-election-results-coverage/

NY Times Election Map:

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president

VICE/Slate/VoteCastr Live YouTube Election coverage, if you are so sick of the traditional media you won't even watch them:

The Young Turks Live YouTube Election coverage, if you are so sick of the traditional media you won't even watch them:

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
Just now, AmandaPanda said:

Hi everyone! What networks are you all watching? I'm on MSNBC with my lady Rachel Maddow. 

Same.  If they can keep Kellyanne of the air for the rest of the night, that would be swell.

• Love 4

MSNBC has Chris Hayes off on some "breaking news" desk for anything not being covered by the election. I'm not happy about him being sequestered off to the side. I want him on the main panel! Put Brian Williams on that stupid desk and put the person who actually knows politics next to Rachel. 

• Love 6

The breaking news was, I think, about a shooting in Los Angeles near 2 polling places, but not at an actual polling place. They have not caught the shooter yet and the polling places are going on lockdown, I believe - just barely caught the end of it.

Edited by Rapunzel

I have been following a Louisville, KY journalist on Twitter and Fayette County, KY (home of Lexington) and the majority (92%) of the county's votes are in:

Hillary is beating Donald 51-42 percent by 10.7k votes

Mayor of Lexington Jim Gray is pounding Rand Paul 61-39 percent by 26.3k votes

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

The breaking news was, I think, about a shooting in Los Angeles near 2 polling places, but not at an actual polling place. They have not caught the shooter yet and the polling places are going on lockdown.

That's bad news for those people in that area of L.A.  I hope they catch the shooter and if not some kind of arrangements made for those that haven't voted yet.

I have DirecTv and we have a option to press the red button on the remote control and it gives me 4 split screen networks, with State by State results that can be pulled up.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

FYI, for those who want to follow newspaper coverage, NY Times and Washington Post have both dropped their paywalls for the election. Probably other major papers throughout the country as well.

Edited by clb1016
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Desperately Random said:

I'm still scared although what little I've heard does sound encouraging. I'm going to get a  glass of wine and watch a movie for an hour because I need to relax a bit. Hopefully when I check back in I'll see some positive news.

Wait for Virginia, that's what's gonna set me off a bit if it's not promising.  Kentucky and Indiana mean nothing to Democrats, we don't expect to win those states and we don't need to.

• Love 4

Hi everyone! What networks are you all watching? I'm on MSNBC with my lady Rachel Maddow.

I'm going to start with the Democracy Now! coverage (via LINK) when it starts in a few minutes, and then when PBS NewsHour begins its coverage at 5:00 (I'm on Pacific time) I'll probably switch back and forth with that.  I'm missing Al Jazeera America more than ever.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

That's bad news for those people in that area of L.A.  I hope they catch the shooter and if not some kind of arrangements made for those that haven't voted yet.

I hope so as well, and I imagine that some arrangements would have to made as they shouldn't be able to keep those people from voting. At least Trump's chances of winning CA are virtually nil and always have been. We're here in San Diego hosting a party, watching MSNBC and this feed, and keeping our fingers and toes crossed for good news!

• Love 1

Husband calls every night before leaving work to ask if I need anything. Tonight's question: Are you drinking yet?

I am not, but soon, very soon. 

So happy to be with you smart, funny people. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

I'm so tired of Chris Hayes being shoved over the the kiddie table.

So, here I am with my jug of Lemon Drops, anybody?

We made Lyin' Lemon Drops, Misogynist Margaritas, Steel Lady Martinis and have tons of beer and wine on hand.

• Love 5

Hello! I'm a Democrat Capitalist Nasty Woman who has to support herself, so I'm still on the clock doing some work, but I'm here. I have Steel Reserve Spiked Punch and American made vodka. Depending on the polls, dinner will be a nice stew or pretzel thins and pimento cheese.

• Love 4

to start - some white wine. Later, depending on how things go, champagne or simply inserting head in toilet.

Can I just say: it felt freaking AWESOME to vote for HRC? I smiled at all the Trump/Pence signs on my way home. 

• Love 3

Before this all gets crazy. I want to say thank you to Ptv for having this thread. And thanks to all the smart, informative and funny posters here. This could have been a lot worse without people to read and discuss things  with,  I don't have anybody I can really do that with in real life. I hope to see you around the site in other threads.

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

I'm on CNN because John King has the prettiest blue eyes. Should I turn to MSNBC?

John King and CNN's board is far superior to Kornacki who makes me stabby - but the rest of the crew at MSNBC are generally better.  But Axelrod and Begala are CNN (and my girl crush Angela Rye and sensible Ana Navarro).

• Love 2

It was always a joke in our house growing up - oh here goes Indiana for the GOP again.  I made a bet that I'd dance outside of my house if Obama won Indiana (back in 2008).  He did eventually - and this old broad was outside the next night, dancing in my front yard (no street lights by me, so no one was harmed or impaired by seeing that spectacle).  Before Obama won IN in 2008, last time before was with LBJ landslide.  

Can't believe OH is a toss up.  My voting place was packed this morning (at opening).  Hearing there's heavy turnout throughout the state.  Fingers crossed.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, NextIteration said:

So, here I am with my jug of Lemon Drops, anybody?

I love those, but they're strong!  I might need to table that in case the night gets scary.  My hope is that the results are decisive and early.

• Love 1

I have a stupid meeting tonight until at least 8:30 CST -- hoping the election will be over by the time I get home.  If it's not, I'll be switching between CNN and CBS, although I can't stand Scott Pelley ever since he made a bunch of lame-ass puns in a serious story about dying dogs.

5 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Pinot Noir

Me too!  They had a buy one get one half off sale but I was afraid to do it.  Consuming two entire bottles of wine tonight would not be a good idea!

• Love 3
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Da fuck? If there are votes too early to call, then why are you fucking bringing them up to say "too close to call?"

No surprise that Kintuckeee and Indiana went to the Orange Bloward.

My, but this hot toddy is doing the trick.

Kentucky is a coal State, it was predicted to go red and Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle. So the States where the NRA is strong, or the coal mining states like W. Virginia and Pennsylvania might go red too.