Type keyword(s) to search

Lab Rats - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Before they pursue the Oliver/Skylar thing they need to redeem Oliver.  He has just been to creepy and pervy.  Filming her with hidden cameras, stalking her and being just horrible.  This has always been my issue with the show, I don't think it is cute, sweet or endearing.  I find it disturbing and criminal with the filming

Finally Caught Home Sweet Home

Really enjoyed the Caldera story...the Old Regime/Opposition seems like some pretty deep stuff to wrap up in one episode...but finally good to see the gang out of the apartment/basement...or alleys/tunnels...

aside from that, basically a creep off of Oliver vs Chase...

On 9/25/2016 at 1:49 PM, Aliconehead said:

Before they pursue the Oliver/Skylar thing they need to redeem Oliver.  He has just been to creepy and pervy.  Filming her with hidden cameras, stalking her and being just horrible.  This has always been my issue with the show, I don't think it is cute, sweet or endearing.  I find it disturbing and criminal with the filming

Yeah, Oliver has gone through an extensive character assassination since Might Med ended. It's a real shame.

1 hour ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

Finally Caught Home Sweet Home

Really enjoyed the Caldera story...the Old Regime/Opposition seems like some pretty deep stuff to wrap up in one episode...but finally good to see the gang out of the apartment/basement...or alleys/tunnels...

aside from that, basically a creep off of Oliver vs Chase...

I'm not sure it really was wrapped up, though. The Opposition -- or at least any real leadership -- were never seen, and there was nothing  to indicate that the old regime regained control.

It's a plot thread I wouldn't mind seeing revisited in the future.

• Love 1

Tonight's episode, Sheep-Shifting is one the Disney XD App.

I liked this one. It's our Halloween episode and just 30 days too early!

I think my favorite thing about this one is how it actually had some plot advancement. It continued the budding relationship with a much more tolerable now that he's not an obsessed stalker Oliver and Skylar, and brought back up the threat of Roman and Riker, with Chase trying to find the secret of their abilities. Also, Kaz turns into a sheep, but that's mainly so his actor can be the director of this episode.

And it better not end on a cliffhanger like Aaron Stone...

The biggest hint was the long awkward break from what... April to July...the second hint something was amiss, the sixteen episode season...and then the Saturday night dumping grounds...

I wonder what the next super hero-ey-ish show will be...

Edited by CyberJawa1986

Well, I'll be down for it... wanna start a new thread?  Or wait and see if its worth discussing?

ETA:  I've done a quick search and found DC and XD mentioned...  

Pretty quick turn around for something new after EF's ending...I think it took about a year and a half(?) between AS ending and LR premiering...  so for me... good to not have a long wait between content...

Edited by CyberJawa1986

Kind of an "eh" episode this week. Neither plot really clicked with me, though I suspect the stuff about Oliver and Skylar dating could possibly throw off team dynamics was intended to be laying the groundwork for future plots.

It's kind of what I was talking about by the show not living up to its potential. Almost nothing in this episode would have been out of place in any other Disney sit-com. Even at its most basic, Lab Rats and Mighty Med had some element  that was unique to it. That's not the case here. The heroic aspects are severely downplayed, to the point where it's like, why did the spin-off even happen in the first place?

• Love 1

Kind of wish we just got a straight up Season 3 of Mighty Med... given this series is so far more influenced by it... the "main" story aspects are MM related.

LR had a decent ending, minus setting up EF, nothing left to be resolve.  

MM ended with so much unanswered, and I'm starting to think some of those unresolved plot points will remain unresolved... so much happened offscreen.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

Kind of an "eh" episode this week. Neither plot really clicked with me, though I suspect the stuff about Oliver and Skylar dating could possibly throw off team dynamics was intended to be laying the groundwork for future plots.

It's kind of what I was talking about by the show not living up to its potential. Almost nothing in this episode would have been out of place in any other Disney sit-com. Even at its most basic, Lab Rats and Mighty Med had some element  that was unique to it. That's not the case here. The heroic aspects are severely downplayed, to the point where it's like, why did the spin-off even happen in the first place?

Just caught "Game of Drones".  Perry still hasn't bugged since Season Two LR but like with Sheep Shifting...in this series she just feels out of place.

I totally agree with your last paragraph...totally downplay the hero stuff...IIRC, are they the "last" heroes...between Roman/Ryker and the MM destruction...these heroes have a lot of down time...IDK, they kinda went "serious" carrying over the MM Destruction and you don't just abandon that for filler...

• Love 1

Should I be surprised that the episode started with the team returning from their 10th offscreen mission this week? No. Am I going to be annoyed by it? Oh, you better believe it.

It was nice to see Tasha, again. However brief her time in this episode actually was. At this point, I'm just shocked Eddy hasn't popped on over to annoy Bree and Chase.

The episode itself was the typical sit-com fare. You could see exactly how everything was going to go before it happened before it happened, but that's not automatically a bad thing, because the situation created a nice bit of character growth for Bree, whose big thing was she always wanted a sister.

During the episode, they were advertising a week long marathon of the entire Lab Rats series, so I'm assuming the finale is next week. Which means in this entire thing, the antagonists would have shown up in a total of three whole episodes. As enjoyable as this show has been, it should have been so much better than how it ended up becoming.

• Love 1

Finally caught "They Grow Up So Fast".  Feels like ages...minus the opening...since we've seen the uniforms and even though it was just the beginning of the episode, I'll take it.  And it was a step up from the drones episode.

It was nice seeing Tasha and thought it was weird they totally downplayed Chase and the baby, I mean they really went strong with Bree on that side...and don't let Chase acknowledge his sister.

Not really much else I can add but switch the characters and name of the show, if could be any teen sitcom.  And multi cam sitcoms, which LR, MM, and EF fall under have certain structure/rules, which I think lends itself to the criticism that the show could have been more.  I really tend to think the format is what limited it.

I think it's interesting no Mighty Med marathon at all in addition to the Lab Rats marathon leading to the finale.  You'd think they'd honor both series.

So, going by my XD Power Rankings, I'm at...from best to worst (I still like them all though):  Aaron Stone > Skyrunners > Lab Rats > Mighty Med> Lab Rats: Elite Force.  I know, I know, Skyrunners was a movie, but I loved it...

Edited by CyberJawa1986
On 10/17/2016 at 8:56 PM, CyberJawa1986 said:

So, going by my XD Power Rankings, I'm at...from best to worst (I still like them all though):  Aaron Stone > Skyrunners > Lab Rats > Mighty Med> Lab Rats: Elite Force.  I know, I know, Skyrunners was a movie, but I loved it...

I'd personally switch Mighty Med and Original Recipe Lab Rats. One of the big things with me is how it just seemed to find the sweet spot between the sit-com and the action/drama elements, something that all the Lab Rats shows haven't done nearly as well.

I don't really remember Skyrunners all that much, but I do remember it was the pilot Kelly Blatz did along with Aaron Stone. And honestly, since I just finished watching it, I think I would place Pair Of Kings after Mighty Med and before Lab Rats.

Pair Of Kings was created by a writing team that worked on Aaron Stone. It shows. Especially during the final arc.

• Love 1

I think it's probably more of a tie between LR and MM.  One thing I feel MM did pretty well was continuity... maybe that's not the correct term... but what I mean is... things, gadgets, gizmos, events weren't forgotten.  MM did better working in creating a universe and world building.  Now that you mention it... MM did a lot more in two season that LR in four...

• Love 1

The Finale is up on the Disney XD App.

Now, why the hell couldn't all the episodes have been like this?!? This was great. A high stakes battle with civilians being targeted causing the team to leap into action. Two big twists, one I saw coming, the other I didn't. This was the show I wanted. Not Boys Vs. Girls contests about not using their powers. Not drone races.  This. An action oriented sit-com about Superheroes that fits both genres. I loved this episode so much not even Perry annoyed me!

And then... the ending

It ended on a Cliffhanger.

AJ-Lee-Screaming-In-Frustration-Shakes-T

So... yeah. Rodissiius now has the Superhero List, and his daughter, Reese(?) now has a rival in Bree. Oh, and Douglas is dying from Reese's attack, and Chase is ready to bring the fight to Rodissiius.

And that's how this ends. *Siiiiiiiiiiigh*

• Love 1

Well I feel robbed. Good episode but terrible series finale. Maybe they will do a movie to tie up both series, doubtful though. I just feel they owe the fans better than this ending. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Well I feel robbed. Good episode but terrible series finally. Maybe they will do a movie to tie up both series, doubtful though. I just feel they owe the fans better than this ending. 

God, I hope so.  Seriously doubt it, though

• Love 1

When they were rushing back to mission command I kept wondering why Bree or Skylar weren't using super speed. Seemed like a good time for it. Hate that it ended on a cliffhanger, so messed up. And Leo and Adam never made an appearance all season which is disappointing. 

• Love 1

Finally saw the finale... The Attack.

It continued the trend of playing... and ending with the biggest prank of all on poor Chase.  Side note... apparently Billy Unger... William Brent... call him what you want... directed the episode.

Where was this all SEASON LONG!?  Loved the episode but a weak ending.  You listening Disney... can we get movie out of it for a proper resolution!?  I doubt it but who know?

ETA:

I remember it was floating around earlier in the season Leo would appear?  Wonder what happened?  Makes me think maybe what if the shorter season has some "lost episodes"?

ETA:

And no Donald!?

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and stuff...yo
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, emcmac87 said:

And Leo and Adam never made an appearance all season which is disappointing. 

All the guest spot actors were all from Lab Rats. Douglas, Bob, Tasha, Perry. Not a single one from Mighty Med, though. I think they really needed an appearance from Alan, or Horace, or even Gus to help expand the universe, and maybe give some insight into that side of the shared spin-off.

44 minutes ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

And no Donald!?

Yeah, he really just sort of vanished from the show after the first couple of episodes, didn't he? I thought Douglas meshed better as the sort of mentor-ish figure, so I really didn't mind it, truth be told.

This episode just... does not feel like it was supposed to have been the final episode. It reminded me of Bionic Showdown. A set piece that set up the back half of the season. Just what the hell happened, here?

• Love 1

All the guest spot actors were all from Lab Rats. Douglas, Bob, Tasha, Perry. Not a single one from Mighty Med, though. I think they really needed an appearance from Alan, or Horace, or even Gus to help expand the universe, and maybe give some insight into that side of the shared spin-off.

They never actually said which mighty med heroes died in the explosion, so I would have liked to see Alan and Horace just to see they were still alive. They never even got mentioned in passing. I kind of get Gus not showing up, since he's not supposed to know they're super heroes etc but still. Plus they really weren't being too careful around Reese the last episode with things they were talking about. 

I also really wish they had done an episode involving Oliver's mom. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, emcmac87 said:

I also really wish they had done an episode involving Oliver's mom. 

That's still the biggest unanswered question... how she went from the biggest bad at the end of Mighty Med... to captured... offscreen...

I didn't mind the villains for EF... the little bit we got... but I would have loved a season of the EF chasing Oliver's mom...

• Love 2
14 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

That's still the biggest unanswered question... how she went from the biggest bad at the end of Mighty Med... to captured... offscreen...

I didn't mind the villains for EF... the little bit we got... but I would have loved a season of the EF chasing Oliver's mom...

And that's probably the worst thing about this. Both shows lead into it perfectly, with Bridget literally gaining all of the superpowers through the Arcturion, and smacking around the two strongest heroes in Mighty Med canon without breaking a sweat. 

It realistically should have taken an Elite Force to bring her in.

On 10/7/2016 at 7:05 PM, Last Time Lord said:

That would be MECH X-4.

Though, oddly, the link I posted mentioned Disney XD, but the trailer says it's on regular Disney Channel.

So... am I the only one up for this?  New Thread and all?

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits yo...
On 10/28/2016 at 8:50 PM, Last Time Lord said:

I'm up for it. I'm just not sure what the process for creating a new show section is.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:12 AM, frenchtoast said:

There are directions and guidelines here.

Thanks for the info frenchtoast, I started/requested the threads for this but totally forgot how?

LTL, you can have the honors.

There is a difference between thread/topic and forum. The are topics/threads within a forum. Unless this show is somehow related to Lab Rats (same characters, somehow a spin off) a new topic can be created in this forum. It sounds more that this is a new show entirely and in that case a new forum should be requested. You'll need to name three topics, too, and one is a small talk topic.

• Love 1

Yes, we could probably have an thread for Mighty Med. Some spin-offs get their own forum, some get subforum. but I think in this case, a topic is fine. Individual episode topics aren't necessary, but a thread for Mighty Med could be fine.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 2:51 PM, Last Time Lord said:

@frenchtoast does this mean a thread about Mighty Med would be acceptable here, because of its connection to Lab Rats via this spin-off, as well as the crossover that happened prior to it?

That would be cool.  I asked the few of us posting here when we first migrated over here about a Mighty Med forum but nobody else was interested.

So, noticed Bionic Island's been in rotation on XD the last couple weeks, and original recipe Lab Rats on and off since Elite Force's ending, but no Elite Force.  If anything, I'd like to know how much of a misfire (saying that as someone who liked EF), EF was that the older shows are shown instead-minus Might Med, since that, like EF, have basically been erased/scrubbed from XD it seems.

Of course EF itself was only half a season, so not a lot of material to show.  

On 11/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Aryanna said:

So who thinks Bradley Steven Perry will play Kyle Rittenhouse when that gets made into a true life crime story series?

On 11/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Aryanna said:

Get out of my head, I thought the same thing.

• Love 1