Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Hyde Park Corner

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Did anyone else cry at the performance of "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered"? 

This was my favorite episode of the series. Jared Harris is a revelation. I see a lot of similarities between his performance in this and Colin Firth's in The Kings Speech. He truly broke my heart in this episode.

I find both IRL Townsend and Townshend in the show pretty handsome. With Margaret's bond with her father it's no surprise she latched onto him.

• Love 8
On ‎22‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 10:22 PM, rubyred said:

I assumed it was a reference to the funeral plans for King George. I conflated it with a scene from the movie "The Queen," in which the Queen Mother's funeral plans were co-opted for Diana's funeral, because it was the only processional plan that had already been rehearsed. In that scene, the QM's funeral plans are code-named "Tay Bridge" or somesuch. And she's like, "Tay Bridge? But that's my [funeral]".

Despite "The Queen", I don't think it was about the funeral plans, but simply a code for "the King is dead". First, death and funeral are two separate matters and second, the funeral plans weren't so ultra secret than the death of Sovereign which should be told to the Prime Minister and the new Queen (if she happened to be elsewhere) before the general public.

I don't know why "Hyde Park Corner" was chosen but I quess it was because it was sounded so innocent and commonplace. And just for that reason the plan failed irl: because it wasn't understood to be a message but believed as an address, the telegram didn't reach Elizabeth.   

Also, against the usual custom, as Elizabeth couldn't be reached in time, BBC told it before the new Queen learned it.        

I loved the Africa scenes, especially the animals and what a cool place Treetops must be.  Of course, here in 2017 its amazing to realize how difficult it was to get word to Elizabeth about her father.

The scenes between Margaret and George were very touching, as well as George's scene with Elizabeth in the office, telling her to ask questions and showing her his work.  It does seem such a shame that George didn't live longer.  Elizabeth could have used a bit more time too, and Phillip as well, to learn a bit more politeness and decorum ("hat", really?).

• Love 3

I was amazed that Eileen Atkins, let alone the real Queen Mary, could make such a deep curtsey at that time and rise from it unassisted. (I hope they didn't have to have too many takes while filming it.) That strikes me as difficult for a young, healthy person, let alone an elderly lady (yes, I know she would have practiced it from girlhood, but still.......).

• Love 2

Obviously knew George was destined to die, but surprised it has already happened.  Still, Jared Harris more then made an impression in these two episodes.  I'll miss him here, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how everyone moves on from this tragedy.  At least George got a final moment with Margaret before his passing.

I'm glad Elizabeth at least got to find out from Phillip (more or less.)  I was really worried that all the build up was going to lead to either her hearing it on the radio or someone else letting it slip out.  But it is safe to say that her life is really going to change now!

So, Anthony/Jeremy Northam is after Churchill's spot, I see.  He better watch it because while Churchill is clearly up there in years and does have his bad moments, when he's on, he is totally on.  Loved Anthony and the rest of their reactions when Churchill nailed the speech.  John Lithgow is a blast.

Yeah, I kind of don't blame this Tommy guy for wanting Peter out of there.  But I got the sense we are suppose to dislike him due to that and how blunt and unwavering he is with following protocol, and coming off unemotional at times.  Whatever!  Pip Torrens is too awesome to hate on!

I'm trying my best to brush aside his past work, but every time I see Philip, I see The Doctor.  I love Matt Smith, but I think he's always going to going to be that role in my mind (unlike David Tennant or Christopher Eccelston, who I don't have those issues with.)

• Love 4
On 11/7/2016 at 8:37 PM, tenativelyyours said:

Was it Queen Mary or George V that actually encouraged the naming of Elizabeth and Margaret?  I want to say King George since Mary was unlikely to think much of Elizabeth of York having her own namesake since Mary was a huge snob about royalty and titles stemming from her own insecurities coming from the Tecks.  But one of them wanted to go back to birth names being appropriately Regnal.  Its not clear just how much the royal family really thought Elizabeth (II) would not someday be queen.  They at least put a good front on the fact that Edward VIII (David) was unmarried at a rather later age for someone expected to carry on the royal line.   But even before King George V's death, there had to be some wondering as to whether David would ever produce an heir.  Or who he was going to marry for that matter. 

About Elizabeth's name: Bertie wrote to George V and he accepted. I don't think Elizabeth was chosen because it was a suitable name of a Queen, but she was named after her mother whom Bertie dearly loved.

Ellizabeth was born in 1926 when her uncle David was only 32 years old, so I don't think they could yet think that he couldn't marry in time, although he had a habit to fall in love with only married women. 

Rewatching, this was really a great episode.

Philip really showed how much he loved Elizabeth (in addition that he was a soldier used to act in danger) when he bravely protected her from the elephant. Elizabeth seemed so free, natural and happy - perhaps the last time in her life. And they were really also psysically attracted to each other.

After the news of her father's death, Philip embraced his wife - and then she took a couple steps away from him.

Elizabeth was so calm and dignified whereas Margaret was so emotional, even hysterical with Peter Townsend. She didn't care a bit that he was married. 

Tommy Lascelles tried to do what Queen Mother should have done: to send Townsend away in time. Whatever Margaret said, her heartache would have been smaller than later.   

• Love 3

The Duke and Duchess of York (as George VI and Queen Elizabeth were at the time) originally planned to call their younger daughter "Anne Margaret."  However, George V did not like the name "Anne" and he did not like double names, so he forbade it.  So she was named Margaret with Rose as her middle name.  Ironically, as a child, Princess Margaret was known as "Princess Margaret Rose."

• Love 3

For something I knew was coming, this was surprisingly emotional. Especially when Elizabeth started crying when alone with her father while we hear Churchill giving his address.

I just watched this again last night (starting the series over to wipe season 3 from my mind and remember when I loved this show.)

Damn this was a great episode!  Every actor really brought it, and the scenes were moving and so well put together.  I really loved it.

The ending, with Eileen Atkins as Queen Mary, and those old bones dropping into that slow, deep curtsy?  Oh my, just genius on her face and on Claire Foy's face.  Claire Foy can keep her outward face controlled and still, while still giving us SO much information, expression, feeling.  SO GOOD.

I really need to find more Claire Foy projects, she's becoming a secret favorite of mine.

This episode from start to finish was so excellent, from Phillip staring down that elephant to Elizabeth happily and casually interacting with guests at her party, to coming to her husband in bed dressed in his shirt?  The African actors were also outstanding thoughout, and brought so much, including the feel of actually being there, when that King came out as her car drove away?  Wow.  Claire's face again then, subtle, but that moment driving home her new responsibilities?  

The scenes with the King, all of them?  Again such outstanding acting and writing, so touching.  Margaret flitting around flirting, her devotion to her dad, and that scene where her knees collapse are also standouts.  Of course each scene with Pip Torrens as Tommy Lascelles just raves for all of those!  

The scene where Harry Hadden-Paton as Martin Charteris finds out the King is dead and rushes to tell Elizabeth, and all of the supporting actors in those scenes also shone.  I miss him being on screen.

Honestly, I could just keep going here.  In retrospect, I think this episode is my all time favorite of the entire series.

ETA, OK, I HAVE to add Churchill and that cabinet for kudos, and that incredible speech, playing over the scenes?  Wow.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Damn this was a great episode!  Every actor really brought it, and the scenes were moving and so well put together.  I really loved it.

This is one of my favorite episodes, too!  It’s one that I watch frequently.  I love the scene of the animals at the watering hole during the night.  
I also thought that the blackbird on the railing was great—it was just like her father was saying goodbye.

Churchill’s speech was also great..

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

This is one of my favorite episodes, too!  It’s one that I watch frequently.  I love the scene of the animals at the watering hole during the night.  
I also thought that the blackbird on the railing was great—it was just like her father was saying goodbye.

Churchill’s speech was also great..

I read that was an eagle, an African eagle of some kind.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2020 at 11:47 PM, Umbelina said:

I really need to find more Claire Foy projects, she's becoming a secret favorite of mine.

Have you seen Wolf Hall? Claire Foy is Anne Boleyn, Damian Lewis Henry VIII and - best of all - Mark Rylance Thomas Cromwell. 

• Love 6
On 3/14/2020 at 3:11 PM, Roseanna said:

Have you seen Wolf Hall? Claire Foy is Anne Boleyn, Damian Lewis Henry VIII and - best of all - Mark Rylance Thomas Cromwell. 

She is also in the "Upstairs Downstairs" reboot which came out about 10 years ago.  Eileen Atkins is also in it.  

• Love 2
On 3/12/2020 at 2:47 PM, Umbelina said:

I just watched this again last night (starting the series over to wipe season 3 from my mind and remember when I loved this show.)

The ending, with Eileen Atkins as Queen Mary, and those old bones dropping into that slow, deep curtsy?  Oh my, just genius on her face and on Claire Foy's face.  Claire Foy can keep her outward face controlled and still, while still giving us SO much information, expression, feeling.  

Same here -- I saved Season Three for summer viewing, and had to come back for a second viewing of Seasons One and Two to see if I had overinflated them in memory.  Nope.  These first two episodes are magnificent.  The set of scenes with Elizabeth when she was learning about the King's death -- hardly any words at all, from anyone, but so emotional that you don't even notice.  And John Lithgow is remarkable.  I knew this from a few years ago, but the episodes are just as striking now as they were then.  

• Love 4
14 hours ago, freddi said:

Same here -- I saved Season Three for summer viewing, and had to come back for a second viewing of Seasons One and Two to see if I had overinflated them in memory.  Nope.  These first two episodes are magnificent.  The set of scenes with Elizabeth when she was learning about the King's death -- hardly any words at all, from anyone, but so emotional that you don't even notice.  And John Lithgow is remarkable.  I knew this from a few years ago, but the episodes are just as striking now as they were then.  

I fell in love with Lithgow after THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP.  I adored that book, and was so sure a movie would ruin it.  Of course the movie could not possibly cover everything in the book, but I thought the adaptation was brilliant, and Lithgow just held that whole thing together, making it believable.  (The rest of the cast was amazing as well, but I remember being so impressed with him.)

He's outstanding as Churchill.  

• Love 1

I wondered why the King was "allowed" by TPTB to fully sing that phenomenal song choice without coughing.  I so loved it, though.  I would have cheered were I in that room, as well.

The silly belittling behavior of Philip portrayed by Smith was a huge off-note for me.  Contrast that ridiculous flamboyance and indifference to all else we've seen thus far.  Too much.  Much, too much.

My gosh the safari/animal scenes!  Thrilling.  All of it.  I hope I remember the African King whom Philip insulted (Nice, hat.) stepping out and staring as Elizabeth was driven past.  If I am being a sucker for buying a very deep meaning, so be it.

I don’t know if this has already been noted, but given that it’s a credit to a white male character I’m going to assume that it hasn’t.

Very last scene, when the phenomenal Eileen Atkins as Queen Mary curtsies to her granddaughter, Philip very clearly looks to Elizabeth like he’s checking or scoping or just checking on his wife who’s just lost her father.

Matt Smith played that superbly, in the middle of an episode where the entire cast was at its best, including Vanessa Kirby as a completely spoiled, self-indulgent, selfish Margaret.

• Love 1