Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Duggars at the Altar

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Didn't you notice when Jessa's bridesmaids 9and the groomsmen) were leaving at the end of the "no kiss" ceremony that a person lunged out of the congregation and planted a big kiss on Anna?  That was the back of Smugger's head. It was a very ,very, very quick peek.

Also, Derrick's groom's attire needed tailoring.  It looked too large (wide) for him.

• Love 1

All about Jinger is probably flashbacks (hahaha) and the dress episode.

When the show started they had 14 kids, even going to the grocery store was something worth watching; A train of carts and a gaggle of toddlers on parade through the store, efficiently tackling their aisle to get the job done. Now we just have a regular family going to get groceries. No one got the memo that ordinary things, by ordinary people are not entertainment. The kids don't seem aware of the change either.

They better hope for a scandal. This is almost exactly the place they were in just before the Josh thing broke and brought renewed interest.

• Love 6

Someone who allegedly lives in NWA said Derick had his surgery done by a known less than stellar surgeon and that there were problems resulting from it.  I have known people who had that surgery and none of them looked that sick for that long afterward.  With the orthodontist and surgeon we had there was usually only one surgery involved and within three to six months people looked "normal."  Derick has been having other issues as Jill talked about all the stomach issues that they had moving to a different country.  I think it may be a combination of a poor surgery outcome plus repeated bouts of digestive issues.  Or he could have added a third medical issue and that wouldn't surprise me.

• Love 3

Derick looks extremely ill and now Jill looks like her hair would smell sour and her feet would be filthy. Her countenance also needs some work. Marriage has killed these two. Jessa=bitch

• Love 6
2 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Also did anyone catch when Derrick was getting ready one of the Howlers was like talking his head off and you could see Derrick just being like please kid shut the f*ck up LOL. Having a gaggle of kids around on my wedding day would have been a nightmare. Glad we had a 21+ wedding :-)

Didn't watch last night but my recollection is that was Jackson getting his screen time in with Derick.

Good to hear from the first-time viewers....y'all are the best part of this retread show!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

When the show started they had 14 kids, even going to the grocery store was something worth watching; A train of carts and a gaggle of toddlers on parade through the store, efficiently tackling their aisle to get the job done. Now we just have a regular family going to get groceries. No one got the memo that ordinary things, by ordinary people are not entertainment. The kids don't seem aware of the change either.

They better hope for a scandal. This is almost exactly the place they were in just before the Josh thing broke and brought renewed interest.

^^This nails it, 1000%.

• Love 1

Rewatching made me remember how "off" Jill can be.  "We don't know if Derick's mom will make it to the ceremony...or at all."  I almost choked on my sympathy for Derick, who had to sit there and hold her hand.  Rough. 

There was also no love lost from the siblings when Jill got married.  Aside from JB being possessive and her buddy team's meltdowns, most of the kids seemed to be of the "bye, bitch!" nature.  I almost wish they'd played the clip of Josh mocking her.

• Love 14

Do the Duggars believe in medical care besides for birthing when there's complications? I kind of wonder if some of Jill's many anxieties are stemming from worry that there's something wrong with him yet neither one feels they can do anything but pray? He's a 27 yr old young man whose had dental surgery and lived overseas where he probably wasn't getting the nutrition he needed and now he's lost a ton of weight. Chances are it could be something minor as a bunch of vitamins, minerals, thyroid have gotten out of whack and until they're fixed he won't look better. So why not find an experienced dr at a major health system like Arkansas and get checked and take meds if they prescribe you any? Instead of worrying about it and defending your husbands weight on IG as Jill has been doing?!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, cereality said:

Do the Duggars believe in medical care besides for birthing when there's complications? I kind of wonder if some of Jill's many anxieties are stemming from worry that there's something wrong with him yet neither one feels they can do anything but pray? He's a 27 yr old young man whose had dental surgery and lived overseas where he probably wasn't getting the nutrition he needed and now he's lost a ton of weight. Chances are it could be something minor as a bunch of vitamins, minerals, thyroid have gotten out of whack and until they're fixed he won't look better. So why not find an experienced dr at a major health system like Arkansas and get checked and take meds if they prescribe you any? Instead of worrying about it and defending your husbands weight on IG as Jill has been doing?!

Luckily, Derrick is not a Duggar. His mom got medical c are for her cancer, and I'm sure she'd insist that her son get the care he needed (even if she will credit god when he gets better).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

JB:  I love ya Jill.

Jill:  Sigh...I'm praying for peace.

Huh??

I had to play that four times.  

I questioned this too when the wedding originally aired.  Someone said "pray for peace" is a Fundy expression.

13 minutes ago, rubinia said:

Are we sure they would shove in the wedding episode already? Seems to me like something they'd want to milk for a whole 3rd season.

That would be astounding. Babe will die of Blue balls and we'll have a Miss Havisham season.  

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 10

Last week, TLC said that there were two more weeks until Jinger's WEDDING. I saw the promo several times. Comcast (and other providers) have screwed up before. My Comcast doesn't go more than a week out, but they still screwed up, following DirecTV's lead by calling Jessa "Jenna" until Monday. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Maya said:

I missed the explanation for this - why did Derick need that extreme dental surgery? 

I don't know that they ever addressed this in detail. But the surgery isn't that uncommon. I'm not an orthodontist but is has to do with bite where the upper jaw is narrower the the bottom teeth. Some folks can use an expander and I guess assume more severe cases need surgery.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Luckily, Derrick is not a Duggar. His mom got medical c are for her cancer, and I'm sure she'd insist that her son get the care he needed (even if she will credit god when he gets better).

I'm sure you're right but I also get the sense that Derick's mom bites her tongue a lot when it comes to her son. Any other mother may have spoken up re the wisdom of taking a 1 yr old to Central America or staying in Central America despite all the danger or said to her son - your wife looks unhappy or maybe even clinically depressed, why don't you all see someone just to be sure or at least don't force her back to someplace she doesn't want to live. Instead she supports him in whatever he wants bc she probably fears losing him altogether to his crazy, overbearing inlaws and just says things like - I can breathe again - when he returns.

So I can see a scenario in which she'd bring up Derick's weight and Jill would jump in and say - oh it's the dental stuff and Central America - and she'd drop it. And I don't see Derick being comfortable enough - at least not in front of Jill - honestly saying to his mom, yeah I'm kinda tired, so that she could encourage him to get checked and not just assume that weight loss is due to a lack of Chik Fil A - which Jill has said.

• Love 2

I really do think the Duggars believe you can pray your way out of depression, or that depression means you're weak or that Satan has taken possession of you or some other such happy horseshit.  Thus, no help for Jill or anyone else who might be depressed.

• Love 8

Jill and DerickDillard were actually very sweet at their wedding.  I really think that if they'd met under normal circumstances (say in high school if she'd been allowed to attend) that they would have still wound up with each other.  They seem like a match - I can picture them meeting in band.  Jessa and Ben on the other hand, not so much.  If they'd have met in school, she would have thought of him as the goofy kid in Math class. She'd have rolled her eyes at the other Heathers whenever he gaped in her direction.  

I also think all that stringy dead hair needs to go on the girls.  I wonder if any of them will ever be rebellious enough to use scissors.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 10

I think what I watched was entitled, Counting On Countdown, but it fits in with what I'm reading in this thread.  I haven't watched this show since before Jill got married, so a lot was new to me.  My many thoughts:

I've seen pictures of this Jeremy, and thought Jinger was making a great match.  But on TV . . . . .  His voice drives me crazy, as does his speaking pattern.  I thought he was extremely dim-witted, but then he used a four syllable word.  I don't wish to speculate on anyone's sexuality, but he pings in a way that many of these Fundy men do.  And Jinjer was extremely evasive when the topic of babies came up.  She looked to Jeremy as if he were already her new owner.  She also smiled in a very fake manner when he started the BS about having as many as the Lord allows.  How these people leave the home every day without the Lord giving them an itinerary is beyond me.  I can picture them standing around and staring at the sky, waiting for the Lord to tell them the hamper's full, and the pantry is bare.  Do the wash and the marketing, weak-minded creature (sayeth the Lord).

I agree that Derick looks sick, and I think he looks malnourished.  He reminds me of the season two Survivor cast.  They were walking zombies, and responded slowly and strangely when one guy fell face first into a fire.  If Derick is suffering that greatly from his maxillofacial surgeries, he needs a temporary feeding tube.

Is Jessa's acne always this bad, or is it pregnancy acne?  And speaking of Jessa - how quaint that she pretends to actually like Jill now.  And she sat on that couch like a queen on the throne.  She thinks she's in charge of her female siblings.  She attempted to answer others' questions, and even took over the questioning herself.  She looked so smug and the queen B of mean girls.  And I find my feelings for her are making me start to dislike wing-man Jinjer.  When Jeremy showed up, Jessa definitely acted as if the four of them were the most important couples in that family.  Jill may as well gone home.  All the inane chattering and giggling over the fact that Ben accidentally ate Jinjer's food, and the analysis and breakdown of the event in detail.  And Jessa is so passive-aggressive, and she made a sweep at little Isaiah by talking about how much he wanted to share, then described how selfish she thought he was acting. 

8 hours ago, Abmis said:

As a first time wedding viewer, I have a couple more observations .  The whole first kiss thing creeped me out.  The whole family seemed into it and it's just so weird.    It's like they put a sexual connotation on it, and were mentally substituting it for more traditional wedding night activities.  It may have seemed sweet and innocent before the news broke about Josh, but I thought it was sickening.  I think JB is a big old perve and in his mind he was probably saying, "You may now deflower the bride." instead  of, "You may now kiss the bride."  Good for Jessa for keeping it private.**

On a less serious note, all the woman in that family are in serious need of conditioner, hot oil treatments, and scissors.****

** Derick made a comment about how special it was that so many people would witness their first kiss.  Sure, Derick, if you're an exhibitionist.  For the extreme modesty they espouse, they're always eager for people to witness the intimacy of kissing, and the "miracle" of child birth.  It boggles my mind.    And how weird is it that a grown man needs his FIL's permission to kiss his legal wife?    I mean, I understand that a woman has no agency, regardless of her age.  But a grown man?                                          

**** With the exception of Jana.  She is really looking beautiful these days.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it came out that Jana had received dozens of marriage proposals, and Boob has refused because Michelle is unwilling to lose her #1 slave.  I'm fascinated at this claim she made about buying a building and renovating it.  I'm sure Boob has his fingers all over it, but I have high hopes that she's going to live there, or somehow start a business.  Maybe that will give her another excuse when Jessa calls looking for her "little helpers".  I hope Jinjer makes her own damn dresses for her wedding.  Hopefully Jana tells her to get help from her favorite sister because she's too busy building her independent life.

• Love 17

I remember watching Jessa's wedding.  Loved her dress!  And I liked the FU to Boob to have their first kiss in private.  Except does anyone believe they didn't kiss before?  Or that Babe and Jinger haven't?  Anyway, what I found so disturbing and strange was the younger brother asking Jessa over and over "How was the kiss?  How was the kiss?" That just seemed weird to me.  Like a junior pervert.  What kid is that interested in his sister kissing her husband, and why?

Jessa has turned into a real witch.  And I tried to like Jeremy, I really did, but his bullshit about not defiling the marriage bed....WTH?  You are ADULTS, what you do in private is your own business and God won't smite you for it.  Have to confess, my husband and I were together for 4 years before we married, and we spent that 4 years getting to know each other.  Know, as in the biblical sense :)  We've been married over 32 years because we had that 4 years together and learned a lot about each other in that time.  You don't meet somebody and a month later proclaim to be marrying your "best friend." 

Unless you want to be miserable.

The rooftop engagement was so fake, and Michelle did sound like a dolphin.  Whoever said that cracked me up.  All I could think about was the movie "Splash" when Darryl Hannah was saying her name, squealing like a dolphin and TV screens were breaking in the store. 

I look forward to all the comments on here so that I don't have to watch the show.

• Love 18
33 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings:  782K viewers and a .18 rating. 

I'm certainly no expert on ratings, but this seems  like a cut the crap tlc number to me.  

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

So TLC is faking like the next episode will be all about Jinger when it is really just a re-re-re-replayyyyyy?!

7 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

On my Comcast Guide for Nov 15

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.42.49 PM.png

this is stuff that happened quite a while ago (Spurg is a year old) - it must be a misprint on Comcast's part?

Edited by OpieTaylor
4 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

this is stuff that happened quite a while ago (Spurg is a year old) - it must be a misprint on Comcast's part?

Possibly.  I did hear when TLC implied that the wedding would be coming up after "two more episodes".

3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Ratings:  782K viewers and a .18 rating. 

Even the leghumpers have had enough of the rehashing. 

1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

Comcast does this a lot before they are given the actual episode description. I wouldn't read anything into it.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Ugh so MORE CLIPS!??? Why not show them getting ready for the wedding, dress shopping, bridesmaids dresses ect. You could def make an episode that people would want to watch out of that. I love wedding stuff. 

I turned it off halfway last night cause I had seen and snarked on everything literally 50 times before. Don't see next week being any different. More re hashed clips

Also did anyone catch when Derrick was getting ready one of the Howlers was like talking his head off and you could see Derrick just being like please kid shut the f*ck up LOL. Having a gaggle of kids around on my wedding day would have been a nightmare. Glad we had a 21+ wedding :-)

The wedding episode is probably going to be two hours and will include dress shopping, planning, etc. We'll see! I agree that I'm sick of the endless clips. Yesterday's episode was ridiculous.

16 hours ago, Abmis said:

As a first time wedding viewer, I have a couple more observations .  The whole first kiss thing creeped me out.  The whole family seemed into it and it's just so weird.    It's like they put a sexual connotation on it, and were mentally substituting it for more traditional wedding night activities.  It may have seemed sweet and innocent before the news broke about Josh, but I thought it was sickening.  I think JB is a big old perve and in his mind he was probably saying, "You may now deflower the bride." instead  of, "You may now kiss the bride."  Good for Jessa for keeping it private.

On a less serious note, all the woman in that family are in serious need of conditioner, hot oil treatments, and scissors.

It is so ironic that they are in reality obsessed with sex and their children's sex lives. They're not the least bit modest. Boob is like a junior high boy with his constant sex jokes and har hars. I remember wayyyy back to Josh and Anna's wedding, they made a big thing about putting the do not disturb sign on their hotel room door, with Anna's dad leering and making insinuations about it. It creeped me out at the time and I would be so uncomfortable if my dad ever did anything like that! I mean, it's fine if families generally have an open dialogue about sex. That's great, in fact. But don't cloak it in mystery, obsess for 20 years about your daughters' purity, and then be grossly involved with wedding night innuendo.

• Love 19

Seeing the changes in Derick and I would not be surprised to find out he is suffering from severe depression and that is manifesting physically.  Tied into his oral health issues either as ancillary or just in tandem and he has always had issues in that regard (I think he probably has had issues pretty early on and may have been triggered by his father's death and never addressed other than pray and be told to be happy because he is in a better place).  When still in Danger America he posted a huge fuck you to the idea of mental health issues and I wonder if that was a knee jerk defensive reaction to an issue that undermines his beliefs as well as his self-entitled "purpose" of leading others to his god (i.e. he's good, the rest who need led are wanting).  He seems moody and has a weird focus on this missionating in a way that doesn't seem goal oriented so much as goal avoidance.  It is escape for him.  Maybe from the Duggars.  But he could have possibly leveraged his job with a nationwide and even international company to move pretty far away and still be in a place his wife might deem safer.

In fact I wonder if part of the Danger in Danger America is not Derick himself?  I still think a big part of Jill's manic instability comes from him.  His muttering of what not to say is a sign of sweeping whatever she thinks happened or is at the root of the issue under a prayer rug.  And it is not so much protecting the service he wants to continue to use but also to simply protect his little self-absorbed "missionary" position.  I wonder if he was the beta version of the Holy Goalie?  He thought marrying into the Duggars would help him break free of the bonds of repressive secularism in the form of a steady income, health care and adult independence and instead spend a life of hipster godspeak among brown heathens.  Well Catholics.  Same thing to him.

I remember watching an episode of Dateline where Keith Morrison was overworking his creepy bedtime storytelling schtick about how shocking and random a particular murder was and how the killer essentially found the perfect victim.  The lead detective on the case gave him this wonderful look of "knock it the fuck off sensationalist for pay" and said quite simply -- "a successful predator learns to identify its easiest and best prey pretty fast in all areas of life".  And even just barely paying attention to this yawnfest, it seems to me that the weddings are kind of a National Geographic special.  Only instead of A Wildebeest migration that includes crocodiles in a bloody frenzy at the Zambezi river, we have instances of predators finding their perfect prey and wrapping the hunt up in white modesty gowns and incredibly bad receptions.  

And to be fair.  Jill and Jinger might be the prey for their husband and husband to be (I think more and more both of these men are incredibly self-serving in their marital pursuit and even potentially harmful even if just emotionally to their wife/bride to be), but ole Jessa did one better and made her prey come to her.    Jessa always has to one up everyone else, doesn't she?

So next week a flashback episode of all the ways she can cling to her Holy Goalie that are only weeks old but obviously seeing as TLC already figures we are stooges for watching will have completely forgot about by now and need a refresher.  Followed by a padded wedding episode includes this weeks overall rehashing, next weeks rehashing and a few other rehashes we only have seen a dozen times or so.  Because we're that stupid. /sarcasm

Thanks TLC!  You're the Worst!

• Love 18
16 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

On my Comcast Guide for Nov 15

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.42.49 PM.png

15 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

This finale says nothing about a wedding, according to Comcast.

8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Comcast does this a lot before they are given the actual episode description. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Yep. I'm sure it's a placeholder description inserted by Comcast in the absence of info from TLC. I checked the TLC website. There's a description of next week's episode, which looks like a Jinger rehash, but no description at all of S2:E13. I assume it will be the wedding. If it's not, this show's in even deeper poo than ever. Even the leghumpers wouldn't be happy.

• Love 1

I didn't set the DVR for this episode that just aired and didnt' watch, figuring it would just be a recap of before. I haven't set the DVR for future episodes either. I have a feeling they are not going to show the wedding soon. Both Jill and Jinger got a full season out of dress shopping, church shopping, etc before their weddings aired. TLC will probably do the same for Jinger. Maybe the wedding will be shown sometime next spring, after she's already been married a few months with her first child on the way.

A few years ago, I do remember it was Jinger talking to her sisters about the fact that "if they all have 5 kids each", then it'll be 100 grandkids and something about how get-togethers will be really hard. Except for Jessa, I don't see Jill or Jinger having more than 5, if they each even have that many. I'm not sure if Anna will have five if the divorce rumors have any truth to them.

• Love 1

I don't understand...the Duggars don't belong nor attend any church except for the one in their own home right? Then why do they all get married in some big mega church? In my small community, brides marry in their home churches. If they aren't religious and don't attend a church, then they are married by a justice of the peace, or a mayor..some sort of non religious, civil ceremony. If their church is in their own home, then isn't that where the Duggars should get married?

• Love 5

The Duggars haven't had church in their house in years.  When they had a congregation they used one of the rental houses or moved on to rented warehouse space.  When the Josh troubles began, their warehouse church folded with the excuse of they were doing too much travel to maintain it.  They've attended other churches off and on since then.  They want a decent venue for the weddings so they rent a church.

• Love 1

Watching the episode, in my opinion, Jill and Derick were acting like a couple of teenagers acting like they have a major crush on each other instead of two mature people ready for marriage and children. Sadly, Derick has seen the writing on the wall, and Jill is dealing with some major issues herself. I am not saying they do not care for one another, but the damage has been done. I guess they found out the hard way about wanting to play house without dealing with the real consequences of living with someone you barely know, giggling over and over again over the first guy who tells you are totally awesome and special, having a kid so fast, and running from your problems and the in-laws is not the way to go.

I chuckled when they play Amazing Grace when Ben was walking up to the front of the chapel to get married. A funeral song at a Duggar wedding. Seems fitting.

7 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I didn't set the DVR for this episode that just aired and didnt' watch, figuring it would just be a recap of before. I haven't set the DVR for future episodes either. I have a feeling they are not going to show the wedding soon. Both Jill and Jinger got a full season out of dress shopping, church shopping, etc before their weddings aired. TLC will probably do the same for Jinger. Maybe the wedding will be shown sometime next spring, after she's already been married a few months with her first child on the way.

Yep, this. They'll want a whole season of wedding prep, dress shopping, and plenty of recap episodes about Jinger before the full wedding special. Rumor is that they're getting married this Saturday and I highly doubt they would film and air it so soon afterward.

After this episode aired last week, TLC advertised there were two more episodes until Jinger's wedding, and an episode IS scheduled for the 15th. They already have most of the wedding prep footage in the can, and since they just aired Jill and Jessa's weddings, they don't have to use that as filler as they did before. They got Jordyn's birth episode up inside of a week. TLC can and will do this for Sweeps. They have to prove that they can still draw an audience to lure advertisers back, and they know that weddings get the highest Duggar ratings of all. 

The wedding is definitely Saturday (beans have been spilled), and the show will air on the 15th. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Watching the episode, in my opinion, Jill and Derick were acting like a couple of teenagers acting like they have a major crush on each other instead of two mature people ready for marriage and children. Sadly, Derick has seen the writing on the wall, and Jill is dealing with some major issues herself. I am not saying they do not care for one another, but the damage has been done. I guess they found out the hard way about wanting to play house without dealing with the real consequences of living with someone you barely know, giggling over and over again over the first guy who tells you are totally awesome and special, having a kid so fast, and running from your problems and the in-laws is not the way to go.

I chuckled when they play Amazing Grace when Ben was walking up to the front of the chapel to get married. A funeral song at a Duggar wedding. Seems fitting.

I chuckled too at Amazing Grace.  I remember commenting when it originally aired that Ben & his groomsmen looked like they were going to slaughter. 

• Love 3