Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Duggars at the Altar

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Good point about November sweeps. I wonder if showing the wedding this season means there is a courtship in the works. I mean, they have to realize courtship ratings > non-courtship ratings. For them to throw away the chance to show a whole season of wedding prep makes me think perhaps something else is on the horizon. Maybe the rumors are true about joy?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rubinia said:

Yep, this. They'll want a whole season of wedding prep, dress shopping, and plenty of recap episodes about Jinger before the full wedding special. Rumor is that they're getting married this Saturday and I highly doubt they would film and air it so soon afterward.

Yes, I agree. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I chuckled when they play Amazing Grace when Ben was walking up to the front of the chapel to get married. A funeral song at a Duggar wedding. Seems fitting.

Amazing Grace was perfect for Bin.  He's a saved wretch, he once was lost but now he's found--and he wants to make sure everyone knows it!

15 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I don't understand...the Duggars don't belong nor attend any church except for the one in their own home right? Then why do they all get married in some big mega church? In my small community, brides marry in their home churches. If they aren't religious and don't attend a church, then they are married by a justice of the peace, or a mayor..some sort of non religious, civil ceremony. If their church is in their own home, then isn't that where the Duggars should get married?

It's not uncommon to get married in a different church, at least not in my small religious community.  Especially if they need a bigger venue.  I got married in a different church, even though I love the one I attend.

• Love 2

Actually watched this episode last night, as I had not watched the weddings when they were first on.  I'm really confused as to why Jill, Derrick, Jessa and Ben were all so surprised on their wedding day.  I cannot count the number of times they had comments like "it's finally here"  "I can't believe I'm getting married today"  ----  Seriously???   How is this shocking to any of them?  That's how it works.  Proposal, acceptance, prep and wedding.  Why is any of this a surprise?  These people are getting dumber every time I watch.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Actually watched this episode last night, as I had not watched the weddings when they were first on.  I'm really confused as to why Jill, Derrick, Jessa and Ben were all so surprised on their wedding day.  I cannot count the number of times they had comments like "it's finally here"  "I can't believe I'm getting married today"  ----  Seriously???   How is this shocking to any of them?  That's how it works.  Proposal, acceptance, prep and wedding.  Why is any of this a surprise?  These people are getting dumber every time I watch.

One day post-mortem studies will be done of Duggar and Duggar-adjacent DNA. And they'll prove definitively that stupidity is an infectious disease.

• Love 11

I really didn't need to see Jill's disgusting bare feet or her dumpy dress again.  And I don't think they showed the part where they ran directly to the hand sanitizer so they could greet Miss Cathy.  Like, look at us Duggars, we're so prepared and organized (they are never so organized).

At least they spared us the ahh-ce cream debacle of Jenna and Bin.  I was thankful for that.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

and since they just aired Jill and Jessa's weddings, they don't have to use that as filler as they did before. 

I think you're giving them way too much credit here ?. I'd be happy to be wrong but I don't think that's the last we've seen of those clips.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Because JB probably saved the cue cards from the first wedding episode and stored them in the warehouse.....why waste that posterboard and Sharpie ink?

I hope Jinge wears Jessa's wedding dress, or something equally as nice......it was really beautiful, even if the whole "shopping for it with 80 Duggars in tow" was a sham.

Tomorrow, huh? Cue JB's big alligator tears. Might watch that episode just to see the pixelated blob formerly known as Josh.

• Love 1
On 11/2/2016 at 8:54 AM, Absolom said:

Someone who allegedly lives in NWA said Derick had his surgery done by a known less than stellar surgeon and that there were problems resulting from it.  I have known people who had that surgery and none of them looked that sick for that long afterward.  With the orthodontist and surgeon we had there was usually only one surgery involved and within three to six months people looked "normal."  Derick has been having other issues as Jill talked about all the stomach issues that they had moving to a different country.  I think it may be a combination of a poor surgery outcome plus repeated bouts of digestive issues.  Or he could have added a third medical issue and that wouldn't surprise me.

Ok, I know my mind goes where it shouldn't but first thing that popped into my head when reading this was the mention of them being happy back in Arkansas because they could flush the tp.  I don't wanna know what their trash was like in Danger America after having digestive issues that could have possibly made Derick look like he does.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

I really didn't need to see Jill's disgusting bare feet or her dumpy dress again.  And I don't think they showed the part where they ran directly to the hand sanitizer so they could greet Miss Cathy. 

Actually, they did - and as it was my first time seeing Derrick and Jill's wedding, I was very confused as to why some guy was standing there pumping quantities of hand sanitizer on Jill's and Derrick's hands.  It made sense a few seconds later, but at the time, I was confused and a little bit grossed out.

• Love 2
On 11/2/2016 at 5:18 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I think what I watched was entitled, Counting On Countdown, but it fits in with what I'm reading in this thread.  I haven't watched this show since before Jill got married, so a lot was new to me.  My many thoughts:

I've seen pictures of this Jeremy, and thought Jinger was making a great match.  But on TV . . . . .  His voice drives me crazy, as does his speaking pattern.  I thought he was extremely dim-witted, but then he used a four syllable word.  I don't wish to speculate on anyone's sexuality, but he pings in a way that many of these Fundy men do.  And Jinjer was extremely evasive when the topic of babies came up.  She looked to Jeremy as if he were already her new owner.  She also smiled in a very fake manner when he started the BS about having as many as the Lord allows.  How these people leave the home every day without the Lord giving them an itinerary is beyond me.  I can picture them standing around and staring at the sky, waiting for the Lord to tell them the hamper's full, and the pantry is bare.  Do the wash and the marketing, weak-minded creature (sayeth the Lord).

I agree that Derick looks sick, and I think he looks malnourished.  He reminds me of the season two Survivor cast.  They were walking zombies, and responded slowly and strangely when one guy fell face first into a fire.  If Derick is suffering that greatly from his maxillofacial surgeries, he needs a temporary feeding tube.

Is Jessa's acne always this bad, or is it pregnancy acne?  And speaking of Jessa - how quaint that she pretends to actually like Jill now.  And she sat on that couch like a queen on the throne.  She thinks she's in charge of her female siblings.  She attempted to answer others' questions, and even took over the questioning herself.  She looked so smug and the queen B of mean girls.  And I find my feelings for her are making me start to dislike wing-man Jinjer.  When Jeremy showed up, Jessa definitely acted as if the four of them were the most important couples in that family.  Jill may as well gone home.  All the inane chattering and giggling over the fact that Ben accidentally ate Jinjer's food, and the analysis and breakdown of the event in detail.  And Jessa is so passive-aggressive, and she made a sweep at little Isaiah by talking about how much he wanted to share, then described how selfish she thought he was acting. 

** Derick made a comment about how special it was that so many people would witness their first kiss.  Sure, Derick, if you're an exhibitionist.  For the extreme modesty they espouse, they're always eager for people to witness the intimacy of kissing, and the "miracle" of child birth.  It boggles my mind.    And how weird is it that a grown man needs his FIL's permission to kiss his legal wife?    I mean, I understand that a woman has no agency, regardless of her age.  But a grown man?                                          

**** With the exception of Jana.  She is really looking beautiful these days.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it came out that Jana had received dozens of marriage proposals, and Boob has refused because Michelle is unwilling to lose her #1 slave.  I'm fascinated at this claim she made about buying a building and renovating it.  I'm sure Boob has his fingers all over it, but I have high hopes that she's going to live there, or somehow start a business.  Maybe that will give her another excuse when Jessa calls looking for her "little helpers".  I hope Jinjer makes her own damn dresses for her wedding.  Hopefully Jana tells her to get help from her favorite sister because she's too busy building her independent life.

As long as that's the only 'first' we have to witness with them.  I don't need to see a lot of flailing limbs and sloppy attempts at babymaking-for-jesus.  I may need a minute in the prayer closet.  The thought is making me itchy.

• Love 5

Jessa's dress really was beautiful. Jill's could have been nice except it wasn't tailored snugly enough, giving it that potato sack look. As far as Fundie wedding gowns go though, I'd put it in the middle of the pack. It was much better than those awful t-shirt gowns Anna and the Bates girls all wore. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I really didn't need to see Jill's disgusting bare feet or her dumpy dress again.  And I don't think they showed the part where they ran directly to the hand sanitizer so they could greet Miss Cathy.  Like, look at us Duggars, we're so prepared and organized (they are never so organized).

At least they spared us the ahh-ce cream debacle of Jenna and Bin.  I was thankful for that.  

The freezer debacle was Jill's wedding (with the 600 individual root beer floats). And Sierra was wholly responsible. Why Jessa (or Jenna....LOL...she will never live that down on the interwebz) decided that using Sierra again was a good idea just highlights Duggar Stupidity. 

1 hour ago, drafan said:

Because JB probably saved the cue cards from the first wedding episode and stored them in the warehouse.....why waste that posterboard and Sharpie ink?

I hope Jinge wears Jessa's wedding dress, or something equally as nice......it was really beautiful, even if the whole "shopping for it with 80 Duggars in tow" was a sham.

Tomorrow, huh? Cue JB's big alligator tears. Might watch that episode just to see the pixelated blob formerly known as Josh.

You win the internets today! 

• Love 3

"

It's not uncommon to get married in a different church, at least not in my small religious community.  Especially if they need a bigger venue.  I got married in a different church, even though I love the one I attend."

My catholic church is not rented out period..maybe the social hall, but the church itself?, never.  We have two parish churches, and you must get married in your own parish church. I can't imagine a Jewish or Muslim wedding taking place there behind our altar.

• Love 1

In most dioceses in the US one may marry in a different parish with permission.  You have to make doubly sure all your paperwork is in order though.  You can even have a priest from a different parish preside with permission of course.

While the Duggar parents went IFB some years back and have done quite a bit of their own churching, they've stuck with renting SBC churches for the weddings so far.  The SBC churches in their area are probably the largest and nicest ones available to them.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2
On 11/2/2016 at 3:08 AM, Churchhoney said:

It's hard for me to believe that Jer wasn't partly drawn to the fame of Duggardom but partly also drawn, consciously or unconsciously, to this person who beats herself up to a horrifying degree, what with his talk about meekness and all.

Meekness = doormat.

The Holy Goalie wants a woman who would never, ever dare to talk back or disagree with his every pronouncement. If she'll look the other way while he's committing "youthful indiscretions", even better.

• Love 7
On 11/2/2016 at 5:18 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I've seen pictures of this Jeremy, and thought Jinger was making a great match.  But on TV . . . . .  His voice drives me crazy, as does his speaking pattern.  I thought he was extremely dim-witted, but then he used a four syllable word.  I don't wish to speculate on anyone's sexuality, but he pings in a way that many of these Fundy men do.  And Jinjer was extremely evasive when the topic of babies came up.  She looked to Jeremy as if he were already her new owner.  She also smiled in a very fake manner when he started the BS about having as many as the Lord allows.  How these people leave the home every day without the Lord giving them an itinerary is beyond me.  I can picture them standing around and staring at the sky, waiting for the Lord to tell them the hamper's full, and the pantry is bare.  Do the wash and the marketing, weak-minded creature (sayeth the Lord).

I agree that Derick looks sick, and I think he looks malnourished.  He reminds me of the season two Survivor cast.  They were walking zombies, and responded slowly and strangely when one guy fell face first into a fire.  If Derick is suffering that greatly from his maxillofacial surgeries, he needs a temporary feeding tube.

There's something up with Baaaaaaaaaabe. I really wish someone who knew Jinger well would tell her to use a barrier method of BC, but we all know how that would go over. Just remember, Holy Goalie -- the tabloids have eyes everywhere (or cell phones equipped with cameras and video capability) and you WILL be found out.

Just throwing this one out here: I knew women at Bible college who would pray about whether or not they should buy a new church dress. As my mom would have said, the Duggars are so Heavenly minded they're no earthly good.

It's unfortunate that Triple D probably has no health insurance. He needs to be seen by a doctor. I realize there are people who have difficulty keeping weight on due to a fast metabolism, but looking at photos of their wedding versus what he looks like now would concern anyone outside of that family.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The freezer debacle was Jill's wedding (with the 600 individual root beer floats). And Sierra was wholly responsible.

Oh! By ahh-ce cream debacle I meant Jenna saying ahh-ce cream over and over again and then the part about it being served in a 40 degree parking lot ? At least she appeared to be wearing shoes.

ETA: unless they DID show the parking lot and I closed my eyes for that part too! I legit missed the hand sanitizer and that was one of my favorite snarkable moments. I tend to sleep a lot during these things. Sorry guys ?

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 2

Oh, I was just talking about the wedding debacles in general. I didn't even bother to watch the wedding retrospective, so I don't know if they showed Sierra's panic attack over Jilly's root beer floats or not, or conversely, if they showed Jessa boo-hooing because people weren't that keen to eat ice cream in a parking lot when it was 40 degrees outside. :D

• Love 1

I missed Jessa's wedding the first time around. What was up with Jill's horrible stringy hair? Everyone else at least looked like they ran a brush through it beforehand, but hers looked like she just woke up. And Derrick jumping out of the pews to kiss her and walk down the aisle with her instead of with the groomsman? Ridiculous.

Jessa's dress was beautiful, and I actually thought that Michelle's dress was a lovely colour for her. Way better than the tinfoil dress she wore to Jill's wedding.

I'm wondering how they managed to keep Ginger's wedding today a secret when they had a thousand guests (according to People online). Now, at least we know what the next episode is going to be about. I have to say I liked Ginger's dress much more than her sisters' dresses. She looked lovely.

Edited by parisprincess
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2016 at 2:40 PM, winsomeone said:

"

It's not uncommon to get married in a different church, at least not in my small religious community.  Especially if they need a bigger venue.  I got married in a different church, even though I love the one I attend."

My catholic church is not rented out period..maybe the social hall, but the church itself?, never.  We have two parish churches, and you must get married in your own parish church. I can't imagine a Jewish or Muslim wedding taking place there behind our altar.

Catholics can get married in other Catholic churches beside their own, within the constraints the other Pastor has put on that.  One's HOME parish is more or less required to have you, as long as you've met the general requirements. 

A couple with neither person a Catholic, would not be allowed to marry in a Catholic Church.

• Love 1

I don't know how TLC suckered me into watching Jilly Muffin's and Jessa Blessa's wedding for the umpteenth time, but they did. 

I had forgotten how extremely awkward Derelict and Jilly Bean were initially. Jill must have spent hours on Pinterest trying to get that tacky wedding together. Derelict seemed really forced on the reveal when he first saw her in her dress and it made me think how fake and emotionless he always comes off to me, but I'm probably being biased because he's my absolute least favorite Duggar-in-law.

Anyways, I didn't see anyone comment on this so I had a question. After the awkward kiss of the century, the Dullards grooms men were all holding up cards with numbers. I had never caught that before and was in awe at how much this upped the creepy obsession with that first kiss, were those really score cards rating  the kiss? Is that a thing? 

• Love 2

I don't remember that in the original airing, although it may have been there. Then again, I tend to zone in and out of wedding episodes, since they're 2 hours long, and they've strung out the audience for about 10 minutes of actual wedding footage. If that. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

I've been Googling "You may now kiss the bride". Interestingly, the consensus is that it's not part of any religious ceremony, so once again the Duggars fall away from living by the Bible.

Apparently it started in Ancient Rome where 'sealed with a kiss' finalized legal contracts and marriages were considered contracts.

What would the Duggars think of men who kissed to finalize other types of contracts?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've been Googling "You may now kiss the bride". Interestingly, the consensus is that it's not part of any religious ceremony, so once again the Duggars fall away from living by the Bible.

Apparently it started in Ancient Rome where 'sealed with a kiss' finalized legal contracts and marriages were considered contracts.

What would the Duggars think of men who kissed to finalize other types of contracts?

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That's interesting.  IIRC, Pastor Schot (?sp) questioned Benessa about this - that it wasn't in the Bible, so what's the big deal to save your first kiss for the wedding?  I was thinking it was a Duggar Family Conviction™ but I guess it isn't since the Bates girls waited also. A Gothard or Fundie thing?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

That's interesting.  IIRC, Pastor Schot (?sp) questioned Benessa about this - that it wasn't in the Bible, so what's the big deal to save your first kiss for the wedding?  I was thinking it was a Duggar Family Conviction™ but I guess it isn't since the Bates girls waited also. A Gothard or Fundie thing?

Yeah. Lots of the fundie churches and, especially, the cults. Part of the whole "Purity Ball" and "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" constellation of patriarchal ownership and proclaimed inability to control any impulses at all.

7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Somebody should tell JB and M this. Their heads might explode. Which is an outcome I could get behind.

• Love 10

When I was a young girl growing up in a small, conservative Lutheran church, our pastor didn't allow kissing in wedding ceremonies.  When he retired, the new pastor relaxed that standard . . . but to this day there's a part of me that wonders why the kiss is such a standard thing in a Christian wedding.  And I'm definitely uncomfortable passionate wedding kisses. If you're marrying someone, I sincerely hope you're sexually attracted to that person. That should be a given, so why does it have to be demonstrated so flamboyantly?  A marriage is about far more than just wanting to jump each others' bones, and an overemphasis on the physical seems to me to detract from the breadth and profoundness of the commitment. (Full disclosure--my husband and I did kiss at our wedding, but we reined in it and saved the good stuff for the honeymoon. And this is obviously just my two cents' worth. No judginess intended toward those who went the friskier route at their nuptials.)

Bottom line . . .  with their hoopla about wedding kisses, the Duggars once again prove the truism that puritannical types are often more obsessed with sex than the heathen masses.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 20
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And in mideval times, the kiss of peace. Men kissing little girls to demonstrate fealty. Not uncommon. 

• Love 2

The awkward wedding kiss is the Fundie equivalent of waving a bloody sheet or hankie around to prove the bride's virginity.  The more awkward the kiss, the better as far as the Duggars are concerned.  It just proves how utterly unspoiled their daughter is.

I wonder if Jim Bob was bothered that Jessa wouldn't participate in his little show.  I am glad she denied him the satisfaction, but what I really wish had happened is that she and Ben had grabbed each other in a full body embrace and engaged in a lip lock unlike any ever before witnessed, complete with visible tongues and moaning.  

Jim Bob would have shit his pants! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
i think i finally got the grammar right
  • Love 12
On November 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Portia said:

And I'm definitely uncomfortable passionate wedding kisses. If you're marrying someone, I sincerely hope you're sexually attracted to that person. That should be a given, so why does it have to be demonstrated so flamboyantly?  A marriage is about far more than just wanting to jump each others' bones, and an overemphasis on the physical seems to me to detract from the breadth and profoundness of the commitment. (Full disclosure--my husband and I did kiss at our wedding, but we reined in it and saved the good stuff for the honeymoon. And this is obviously just my two cents' worth. No judginess intended toward those who went the friskier route at their nuptials.

Oh my gosh, couldn't agree more!!! It's like they think it's cute, but it's not like they're the first person to discover passionate kissing. Also, I hate, hate, HATE the immature reactions from the congregation that is causes. It's awful when they laugh, shout, and look at you, expecting you to react the same. I'm like..."no! I think this is stupid, so I don't want to express my approval with a giggle!" I had this happen at a wedding of a college classmate, while sitting beside my professor. Talk about awkward! Watching people sloppily make out and laugh about it with him was NOT on my bucket list! ;-)

• Love 5

I think I must've lucked out; the only wedding kisses I've witnessed have been quite sedate and sweet. Not that weird goldfish pecking fundies seem to favour but none involving tongues either.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:55 AM, Marigold said:

Oh yeah, we discussed this poor guy's surgery endlessly. His face and teeth are part of it. I feel sorry for anyone having such a surgery. 

But his overall body, weight loss, facial expressions, skin, hair...he just looks so sick to me. 

Derick is either on drugs or he is seriously and yes I know he has had jaw surgery but the surgery wouldn't make him sunken eyes and unhealthy skin color.

• Love 2