Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Duggars at the Altar

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

A flashback episode after the flashback season episode in an entire season of repeating 4 scenes that are used for promoting the next episode?

I've spent less than 7 minutes skimming uploaded episodes. Just to find certain scenes discussed on this board. How are they keeping their ratings up? Who is still watching? They will have to force Joy and Jana into weddings, and the boys will have to go 4 at a time because they are so dull, unless they marry really spectacular characters (almost had one Josiah!), but you know creepy weird brides would be easy to market. Or at the very least, the family needs a new scandal. Not just 'we took money from donors for the last 4 months and have no intention of returning permanently to Danger America", but a real scandal like a Breaking Bad lab in the shop on their land or something.

• Love 4

You mean you're not riveted by watching the Duggars watch themselves in old clips, and then listening to them re-hash what we've not only just seen and heard once, but re-watched and re-heard while the Duggars re-watched it themselves?!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

You mean you're not riveted by watching the Duggars watch themselves in old clips, and then listening to them re-hash what we've not only just seen and heard once, but re-watched and re-heard while the Duggars re-watched it themselves?!

It is getting a bit meta.

• Love 4

They are already slipping in plenty of Boob and Xanaxia. Notice how much screen time they are getting in flash backs... they're back. May as well bring back Chester the molester too. 

Fuckit.

TLC. The WORST.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 10

Jill has the soft baby voice down pat during her vows.

I like when Pastor Schot (?sp) was questioning Benessa what the big deal was in waiting for their first kiss til their wedding day.  Jessa should have answered truthfully by saying "it wasn't our idea,  ask my mom & dad."

• Love 10

Mike Schadt is the head of SOS Ministries, but I guess he is able to officiate marriages in Arkansas, despite having his US residence in Florida. I imagine another pastor had to sign off on their wedding license. 

• Love 1

It was boring. The only things I noticed - Derick looked SO healthy back then and it's not like he's been married for 10 yrs. It's been 2.5 freaking years. I don't know if it's just the dental issues, but he needs to get himself to a doctor and have a physical.

And Ben -- he looked sooo ridiculously happy and he had no problem being himself, even if he sounded dumb -- i.e. "the best part of a wedding is getting married." Though I guess back then he didn't have to worry about Jessa putting him down or mocking him. And seeing Michael Seewald, all I could think was about his smug blog post about how people are doing the wrong thing by not getting married until [gasp] 30 or 35 and God wants you to marry asap and make as many babies as possible. Wonder how he feels now -- just 2 yrs later, his 21 yr old is married with 2 kids, still no job or career, looks miserable with his bitch of a wife who puts him down constantly, and living off his father in law who has him by the balls. Hope Mike is happy he raised his son to believe that marriage at 19 and no job is just dandy.

• Love 20

Fortunately I don't know the answer to this, but with cancer patients is it normal for them to be so sequestered at one end of the room? When they were praying for her they were at the foot of the bed all awkward. I understand needing to maybe not touch or be super close but i mean at least sit next to her or near her! Don't just stare all creepy at the foot of the bed

And yeah, ITA about this totally being a snooze fest. I can't even snark on this shit again. Derrick and Jill do look years younger and way healthier 2 years ago. Danger America has not been kind to them

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, loloandco said:

Well that was surreal, special, amazing and exciting. Especially surreal. Jill marrying derickdillard and Jenna marrying binjerminseewald. Good times. I could watch this every week. Oh wait....

I read this quickly, looked at your name, and thought it said Loco!  Fortunately, you are not!

• Love 1

What happens on next weeks episode? I don't think it's worth a season of this to get to the wedding. Time to just go with wedding specials as a $ gift for the bride and groom. TLC will bring out the album of everyone else, regurgitate the non kissing, courting, holding hands, chaperones. and finally a wedding.

1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

What happens on next weeks episode? I don't think it's worth a season of this to get to the wedding. Time to just go with wedding specials as a $ gift for the bride and groom. TLC will bring out the album of everyone else, regurgitate the non kissing, courting, holding hands, chaperones. and finally a wedding.

They said the next episode is all about celebrating Jinger..then the wedding episode

I got up to go to the loo during the ball game, and the dog hit a key on the remote so that when I got back, the show after the Duggars was on.  I didn't realize it was TLC at first, thought it was just a commercial.  There was a guy talking to a couple of other guys who were complaining about babysitting all the time.  One guy said that just can't be his life now, he doesn't even like most of the kids, which made me fall in love.  One of the guys was under orders to get a snip job before he had sex with the wife since they had newborn quintuplets.  Of course they'd have none if not for fertility drugs, but once the multiples happen they act like it was all natural.  Religious guy.  Occurred to me maybe it's him who is the stipper guy in the Crazy Days and Nights piece.  When I realized it was an actual show, I naturally grumped and found the ball game again, but got me thinking, ummmm.

• Love 1

That show you saw, Micks Picks, was a rerun of Outdaughtered. Family had one girl about 4 years old and then quintuplets, all girls. They live in Texas. This was filmed last year and is coming back in November. I remember reading that their show was replacing the cancelled 19 Kids and Counting last summer.

• Love 1

So Hunger told Jessa she was undeserving of her... undeserving? Wth?! Did she kill Jessa's rabbit or something. Oh and I almost forgot how that Bates girl basically assaulted that poor piano. Jesus.....RELAX on that poor piano. Ridiculous 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

They said the next episode is all about celebrating Jinger..then the wedding episode

Great! We're set to learn that Jinger is an encourager and has a heart for the Lord!

That oughta fill an hour nicely.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 24
43 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

So Hunger told Jessa she was undeserving of her... undeserving? Wth?! Did she kill Jessa's rabbit or something. Oh and I almost forgot how that Bates girl basically assaulted that poor piano. Jesus.....RELAX on that poor piano. Ridiculous 

This is the kind of thing that makes me really worry about JInger being married to some guy who wants a meek woman. She's liable to throw herself under the wheels of his car in a frenzy over what a big selfish sinner she is or something. She already seems to spend way too much time apologizing for her existence. And people who like getting their power fix by taking advantage of people like this can generally smell them coming. It's hard for me to believe that Jer wasn't partly drawn to the fame of Duggardom but partly also drawn, consciously or unconsciously, to this person who beats herself up to a horrifying degree, what with his talk about meekness and all.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Great! We're set to learn that Jinger is an encourager and has a heart for the Lord!

Bahahaha. EXACTLY! More clips of the poor girl looking like she ate mushrooms! With her undeserving.....yeah.....self

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

I criticize TLC for airing these patched-together clip shows week after week, yet I'm the doofus who continues to tune in.  I'm starting to question my sanity every Tuesday at around 8:39 p.m.

I hate myself for adding to the ratings by DVRing it! Wait, do they track by DVR recording or do they still use Nielsen boxes? 

7 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

Jinger took it really hard when Jessa got married. I didn't remember that.

She was a basket case because despite what some people say about their closeness being forced for the cameras, I believe it was real. But really, she didn't need to worry. Jessa seems to be at the TTH every day. Now, it's Jessa and all the other siblings who will be sad that Jinger is leaving. She herself is far too obsessed with Babe to be sad about it, but once that novelty begins to wear off a bit, I suspect she'll begin to miss home, just as Jill now does. We shall see!

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, thanks a lot for spoiling the whole episode! ;) 

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 15
46 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

My phone keeps changing her name to Hunger. Lol. Freudian slip?? 

I thought you were doing a clever play on words! Because Hunger is another perfect nickname for Jinge. Your phone is a poet. (My phone is just a giant pain.)

• Love 13

What happened to Derick???????????????????????

Jill just looks a little worn out, had a baby etc.  Derick looks very sick now in comparison to how he looked back then.  

Well, if they are trying to have a baby and nothing is happening, uh, you might want to test Derick.  Derick looks like he has an underlying health condition...might affect the sperm. 

It is possible that Derick has been to a doctor and they know what's wrong with him and aren't disclosing that to the public.  Maybe that is why Jill is so depressed and messed up?  In addition to her other problems, of course. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Annb67 said:

LOLOLZ, as this was my first time seeing the re-re-re-recaps of either wedding (I wasn't watching the Duggars back then, which makes me seriously question why I am doing so now, but I digress)...if I had been in that audience, I might've been questioning that very aggressive rendition of "The Wedding March."  More like, "THE *&%$&(@ WEDDING MARCH!!!!!"  That was an interesting interpretation.

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I did not watch this yet. Was Josh cut out of the clips? 

I did not see the slightest inkling of Josh anywhere on the show, but we did see Anna.  Was Josh one of Derrick or Bin's groomsmen?  If he was, TLC purposely cut him out.

Can't remember if it was Jill's or Jessa's wedding, when the pastor asked JB, "who gives this woman to be married?"  And JB says, "I do!  Har har har!"  What an ass.

As a bride, Jill came across as a love-struck moony muffin.  Jessa came across as an entitled princess.

What did Bin's mom serve at the rehearsal dinner?  It looked like Jessa was ladling vegetable soup over a bun or something.

Other than that, yawn.

• Love 4

I think Derick's appearance is because of his maxillofacial surgery, and being generally a person with a tall thin body type. Somewhere - maybe in the Dullard topic - someone with experience in that kind of surgery wrote about it. The Dullards haven't been forthcoming with the details, but IMO it's likely that Derick will have at least one additional surgical procedure, and that after all the procedures are done he'll look a lot better than he does now. I'm cutting him slack, appearance-wise, as being a work in progress. 

Now that I know he actually rolled over and answered a 50 page questionnaire in order to get Jim Bob's permission to meet and court Jill? I'm sure he's as creepy and fanatical and cultish as all the Duggars are, and that's true also of Ben and Jeremy. So, yeah, he could be healthy-looking and handsome as they come, but he's still a fanatical cultish creep. 

• Love 4

I'm another one who had never seen the weddings before.  I hadn't watched the show for years, but had followed it here off and on.  After reading about Cringe and Babe I started watching midway through this season.  The piano playing made it worth sitting through what was otherwise an hour of boredom.  Assaulted is definitely the best description of that.  I've never seen anything like it.  I was, however, disappointed that I didn't get to see the root beer float reception.

Having never seen the courting and wedding episodes, I hadn't seen much of Derick other than last week's episode.  I wasn't impressed with him then, and I'm even less impressed now.  How nice of him to explain what a unity candle is because they are so rare and special and unique.  I had no idea that saying "I do" means you're married. Where would be without him to enlighten us? He seems like a pompous jerk to me.

• Love 8

I bet the producers asked Derick to talk about that stuff, and he didn't have anything original to say. Because really, what guy his age does have much to say about the wedding ceremony details, whether fundie or mainstream?

IMO guys mostly leave all that wedding stuff up to their bride and mother in law. They just have to show up on time in the right outfit, bring he ring, get through the ceremony, and in the case of fundies like Derick, finally get laid after it's all over.

OTOH, Derick is a jerk. I'm just not sure how many other guys would have done much better that he did, if asked to talk about their wedding ceremony details.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

Ugh so MORE CLIPS!??? Why not show them getting ready for the wedding, dress shopping, bridesmaids dresses ect. You could def make an episode that people would want to watch out of that. I love wedding stuff. 

I turned it off halfway last night cause I had seen and snarked on everything literally 50 times before. Don't see next week being any different. More re hashed clips

Also did anyone catch when Derrick was getting ready one of the Howlers was like talking his head off and you could see Derrick just being like please kid shut the f*ck up LOL. Having a gaggle of kids around on my wedding day would have been a nightmare. Glad we had a 21+ wedding :-)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I think Derick's appearance is because of his maxillofacial surgery, and being generally a person with a tall thin body type. Somewhere - maybe in the Dullard topic - someone with experience in that kind of surgery wrote about it. The Dullards haven't been forthcoming with the details, but IMO it's likely that Derick will have at least one additional surgical procedure, and that after all the procedures are done he'll look a lot better than he does now. I'm cutting him slack, appearance-wise, as being a work in progress. 

Now that I know he actually rolled over and answered a 50 page questionnaire in order to get Jim Bob's permission to meet and court Jill? I'm sure he's as creepy and fanatical and cultish as all the Duggars are, and that's true also of Ben and Jeremy. So, yeah, he could be healthy-looking and handsome as they come, but he's still a fanatical cultish creep. 

Oh yeah, we discussed this poor guy's surgery endlessly. His face and teeth are part of it. I feel sorry for anyone having such a surgery. 

But his overall body, weight loss, facial expressions, skin, hair...he just looks so sick to me. 

• Love 6

As a first time wedding viewer, I have a couple more observations .  The whole first kiss thing creeped me out.  The whole family seemed into it and it's just so weird.    It's like they put a sexual connotation on it, and were mentally substituting it for more traditional wedding night activities.  It may have seemed sweet and innocent before the news broke about Josh, but I thought it was sickening.  I think JB is a big old perve and in his mind he was probably saying, "You may now deflower the bride." instead  of, "You may now kiss the bride."  Good for Jessa for keeping it private.

On a less serious note, all the woman in that family are in serious need of conditioner, hot oil treatments, and scissors.

• Love 22