Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Wolferton Splash

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, snarktini said:

If the King wasn't told about his cancer, and his family didn't know either, who exactly had the authority to make medical decisions for THE KING? Advisers, one assumes? I know in the past doctors didn't always consult patients but I thought that was more women and kids than male heads of households. It's so weird that a competent adult man -- one of the most powerful men in the world -- would be kept in the dark about his own body.

FDR's doctors concealed the seriousness of his illness from him toward the end of his life, as well.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, SeanC said:

FDR's doctors concealed the seriousness of his illness from him toward the end of his life, as well.

All the replies have been so interesting! I'd heard some of these tidbits long ago, but had forgotten.

I'm a couple of episodes farther along now, and I can see part of my error. He's the Crown, not a man or even the King. The King/Queen doesn't necessarily have very much autonomy. Advisers were doing what they thought was best for the state, not the person. (Although I might argue, from a modern perspective, that preparing for a smooth handoff might have been more helpful than keeping him in the dark so he wouldn't be distracted as they said.)

Though I'm still curious who exactly was authorized / empowered to make decisions like this. And that's not a rhetorical question! I'm not up on royal affairs. A Cabinet or Council?

• Love 5

Back in this era, it was actually very common to keep the diagnosis secret from cancer patients.  Doctors often had a very paternalistic attitude towards their patients and there was a general sentiment that telling a patient they had cancer, which was essentially a death sentence in that era, would cause the patient to become depressed, give up hope and hasten their demise.  Those of us old enough to remember the 50's and even on into the 60's; probably can recall instances with our own family or friends when an illness was whispered about and the word 'cancer' was never spoken in front of the patient.  As a physician nowadays, I get family histories from lots of people who know their grandma died of a 'tumor' but have no idea where it was or whether it was malignant because nobody ever talked about it so nobody really knew.  Also, the physician-patient relationship, even with royalty, was decidedly unbalanced.  People did what their doctor told them to do, they accepted whatever treatment was offered; they asked few, if any questions.  The ideas of patient autonomy and informed consent was not prevalent.  Everybody, not just royalty, accepted whatever the doctor said at face value and didn't expect to be an active participant in their care

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14

My nitpick on this episode was Charles calling Philip "Daddy."  As I understand it, he called him Papa, as Elizabeth called her own father.  I remember reading once that one of the big conflicts early on in the Charles & Diana marriage was Diana wanted their children to call him Daddy as she had done with her father, and Charles insisting on being called Papa.  But oddly, I think William's children call him Daddy.  Or at least there were reports of Charlotte saying "dada" not "papa." 

Also, I don't believe Charles and Anne were in Malta, but had been left home with their grandparents for months.  Therefore, Philip protesting the Commonwealth tour because it would take them away from the children for months didn't ring true for me. 

• Love 8

If the King wasn't told about his cancer, and his family didn't know either, who exactly had the authority to make medical decisions for THE KING? Advisers, one assumes? I know in the past doctors didn't always consult patients but I thought that was more women and kids than male heads of households. It's so weird that a competent adult man -- one of the most powerful men in the world -- would be kept in the dark about his own body.

Not just him but keeping it from the Prime Minister it seems. They gave him a report filled with language that a layman wouldn't understand instead of saying outright the King has terminal cancer. Churchill needed his own physician to try to translate it.

I liked there was reference(not by name) to Alan Turing and his Bletchley Park colleagues when Churchill told his doctor "In the war, we used mathematicians to decode the indecipherable."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
On 11/7/2016 at 0:00 PM, Jeeves said:

Okay, I've got no complaints about Matt Smith's butt, @AnnieBananie. Or any of the rest of his physique. [Pause for moment of appropriate appreciation. No kidding.] But somehow I'm not getting him as Philip. This is a rare case where the real life person who's being dramatized, is more classically handsome than the actor in the role. The young Prince Philip of Greece was truly an Adonis, and I get 100% how the young Princess Elizabeth could be instantly smitten when she met him. I can't articulate what isn't right about Smith's performance, so let's just say it's me and not him. 

@SeanC posted while I was writing this, with good points about Philip's background. I saw a documentary not along ago (PBS? I forget) about Philip, and the opposition to his marrying Elizabeth. Because, sisters married to big Nazis. And more.

Jeeves, I said THE EXACT SAME THING on Facebook last night, re: Matt Smith. Philip was ridiculously hot and Smith just isn't quite that for me. I find Smith's nose distracting, oddly--Philip had such a classically beautiful face with that aquiline nose. As for the opposition, some of it was also due to his circumstances--a penniless prince without a country was not considered good enough for the heiress of the British Empire. If he hadn't been SO gorgeous, Elizabeth would not have fallen so hard for him, so much so that she refused to consider anyone else.

On 11/8/2016 at 10:44 AM, MissLucas said:

That said I have no doubts that Charles is still holding his time in Gordonstoun against his parents - especially his father. That was a mistake - no doubt a great school for some kids like the Duke himself but Charles was definitely not a kid that benefited from the regime there.

Yup. Philip liked it the way Harry liked Hogwarts--because he'd grown up going from pillar to post with no real home, and finally Gordonstoun became that home. But Charles had a much more secure environment growing up, and a sensitive young man like him would be unlikely to thrive in such a winner-take-all school setting.

On 11/8/2016 at 8:49 PM, VCRTracking said:

There's a bit of foreshadowing in the distance between Charles and his father when Phillip says to his friend "This one's a dreamer." when he has trouble playing a manly sport like football(soccer) with him. I saw a Diana documentary she wrote a friend saying how close William was close with his grandfather. That they had the same interests in things like military history and would talk often.  There's an implication William was the son Phillip wished Charles had been. 

ANNE was the son Philip wished Charles had been!

On 11/25/2016 at 4:14 PM, Calvada said:

My nitpick on this episode was Charles calling Philip "Daddy."  As I understand it, he called him Papa, as Elizabeth called her own father.  I remember reading once that one of the big conflicts early on in the Charles & Diana marriage was Diana wanted their children to call him Daddy as she had done with her father, and Charles insisting on being called Papa.  But oddly, I think William's children call him Daddy.  Or at least there were reports of Charlotte saying "dada" not "papa." 

Also, I don't believe Charles and Anne were in Malta, but had been left home with their grandparents for months.  Therefore, Philip protesting the Commonwealth tour because it would take them away from the children for months didn't ring true for me. 

I'm am sure you are right re: the kids being left back in England. There is a small but very vocal minority of royalty "fans" who like to bash William and Kate because they are focusing so much on raising their kids instead of opening supermarkets and the like. No one ever seems to know what to say when I point out that when Elizabeth and Philip were first married, they spent a few years in Malta doing no or very few royal duties, even leaving the kids back at home. No one had a problem with it--and Elizabeth was the heir to the throne currently occupied by a sick man, not the heir to the heir of a still-thriving monarch.

• Love 11

Started watching this over the weekend and am finding it fascinating.  Just finished episode 10.  What a terrible position to be in your whole life....caught between desire and duty.  I suppose we all face similar decisions regarding morality to some extent, but not to that degree.  It helps to humanize the Royal family a bit to me.  I agree with the poster who says that the actress playing the queen reminds her of Reese Witherspoon.  And if there ever was a perfect description of eyes being "limpid pools of blue", her's are it.

Edited by Bluedog100
Unintentional spoiler for episode 10. Sorry!
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, Calvada said:

My nitpick on this episode was Charles calling Philip "Daddy."   

Not to mention the child actors playing Charles and Anne were too old.  When the King underwent surgery in Sept. 1951, Charles was not yet 3 years old (born Nov. 1948) and Anne was only 13 months.  The kids looked more like 5 and 3.  I know it's difficult to cast very young children, especially when they have lines, but I found this very distracting.

• Love 4

This show has been on my long list of things to watch so it took me a while to get to it. This episode was so beautiful - the costumes, the sets, the cinematography.

Bertie is such a wonderful character to watch because he isn't one note. In this episode, he got to snap at his staff, get calmed down like a child, tell dirty limericks, have lovely moments with each of his daughters, and prank his son-in-law. His death is imminent so I'm glad we got to see several different facets of his personality.

Like others, I wish we had seen some of Elizabeth and Philip's courtship rather than getting plopped into their relationship right before the wedding, even if it was just a few short scenes.

My first few glimpses of Matt Smith as a very blonde Philip reminded me of Cary Elwes.

• Love 7

Just watched episodes 1 and 2.  Can't figure Philip out.  He seems kind of a jerk, yet keeps Elizabeth light-hearted.  As others have said, would like to know more about their courtship.

Jared Harris is great.

• Love 6

The jury is out for me on this series. As someone else mentioned, it moves too fast yet seems too slow. The MVP in this episode is definitely Jared Harris. Very moving portrayal. I loved the Christmas scene with the carollers.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2016 at 5:55 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

But somehow I'm not getting him (Matt Smith) as Philip.

When I first saw MS as Philip, all I could think of was the character Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Odo.jpg

What a terrible position to be in your whole life....caught between desire and duty.

I'm finding it to be pretty terrible.  Elizabeth, as a person, isn't allowed to do anything.  Everything she thinks or does seems to be determined by Parliament, or tradition.  She's just a warm body inhabiting a position over which she has no control.  She's quite literally a puppet.  It gives me chills to think of living like that.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 17

And "I Vow to Thee, My Country" is an adaptation of one of the melodies from Holst's orchestral work The Planets. It's from the movement "Jupiter" and has long since been accepted as a kind of national hymn.

• Love 3
On 2017-02-10 at 8:54 AM, dubbel zout said:

That song was also played at both Charles and Diana's and William and Kate's weddings. It's right up there with "Jerusalem."

Whenever I hear "Jerusalem", or even hear it mentioned, I think of Monty Python ?

• Love 4
On 2/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, Capricasix said:

Whenever I hear "Jerusalem", or even hear it mentioned, I think of Monty Python ?

You're not alone in this!  For those who are perplexed, go to the 2:40 mark here, and then the 3:40 mark.  Oh, heck just watch the entire 5-minute clip.  :-)

• Love 4
(edited)

Just started watching (since its available for offline viewing, I can watch while commuting).  I'm glad it at least started with George IV still alive, though I agree it would have been nice to see a bit more of the courtship of Elizabeth and Phillip, since I don't know too much about it.  Course, we do see some of the conflicts between the two, and Phillip having to concede to "the crown" in later episodes.  And good for George to remind Phillip that he does have to be there for, and support Elizabeth, not the other way around.  She will be the monarch, not him.  Its not completely clear that Phillip realizes this as much as he should.

It really must be something one has to grow up being used to, to  be dressed by others.  I wasn't surprised when George exclaimed when the older valet was fumbling with the collar.

I vaguely recall hearing about Townsend having an affair with Margaret, who got to be the 'wild one' to Elizabeth's reservedness.  I expect they'll show some of that conflict.

I found it interesting, and then realized, of course they brought "the hospital" or at least the operating room to the king, rather than vice versa.  And then every time he smoked afterwards, I almost gagged.  Amazing that people didn't realize that inhaling black tar was, you know, bad for your lungs, before the government had to step in.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

What does "Wolferton Splash" mean?

Literally, the royal marsh where the King and Phillip went duck-shooting. Metaphorically, a place where even those whose realm it is -- those lifted up by God -- are brought low.

• Love 5

Figured I'd give this go, since we're about a week away from the Emmys and it's been a while since I've watched a good old-fashioned British drama!

Pretty solid premiere episode, even if it did take a bit to pick up and I was surprised over how little Elizabeth was featured in this one, although I obviously know that she's going to be featured way more later on.  But the focal point this go around mainly was on George VI, but I'm guessing him knowing that he has cancer means he is going to do his best to make sure Elizabeth gets as much as experience and training as possible, before his death.  Jared Harris was fantastic.  Everything from his scene with Elizabeth, to the one with the carolers was beautiful and heartbreaking.  But I was a bit worried that I was going to find myself comparing him to Colin Firth's excellent version in The King's Speech, but that ended up not being the case, because Harris was just as good in his own way, I thought.  Although any time he lit up his cigarette, I kept flashing back to his Lane Pryce from Mad Men.  Ah, memories!  

Speaking of flashing back to other actor's works, Matt Smith was good, but yes, there was several times I had to remind myself I wasn't watching some bizarre Doctor Who episode where Elven is pretending to be Phillip for some wacky reason.

John Lithgow playing Winston Churchill was definitely one of the main reasons I wanted to check it out, and I got a kick out of him in all of his bombastic glory. He was definitely "on" in every frame, but I suspect that the real Winston was like that a lot.  But I enjoyed some of the wedding guests rolling their eyes at his overdramatic entrance to the ceremony.  Classic Churchill!

I'm guessing there will be more of the other smaller characters and their stories, like Margaret and her thing with this married guy.

Definitely looking forward to more Elizabeth soon, because I enjoyed Claire Foy in the silly show, Crossbones (with John Malkovich), years ago, so I'm glad to see her in something way better then that and a lead none the less!

• Love 4

Ive no knowledge of UK royalty, nor any particular interest.  Do love other British shows.  Giving this a go.  I do have some antipathy towards Churchill.

S1 e1..a PSA for not smoking with great production values and a

Edited by marys1000

Just started this last night. Was it just me or did anyone else find the surgery scenes graphic and gratituous? It was jarring to see amidst all the splendor and perhaps that was the point but ugh. I had to look away. 

Otherwise, quite enjoyed this episode and agree with all that Jared Harris was exemplary.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, Mystical chick said:

Just started this last night. Was it just me or did anyone else find the surgery scenes graphic and gratituous? It was jarring to see amidst all the splendor and perhaps that was the point but ugh. I had to look away. 

Otherwise, quite enjoyed this episode and agree with all that Jared Harris was exemplary.

I had to look away too. I'm really squeamish when it comes to almost any kind of surgery shown on TV. The rest of the episode is really good. I was worried about comparing Jared Harris to Colin Firth but it never happened. Jared Harris did a wonderful job. 

• Love 3
On ‎7‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 7:00 PM, Jeeves said:

Besides Churchill grumping in church about Philip's sisters and their "Nazis," there was that super-snipy exchange during the wedding photo session, between the Queen and Queen Mary, about Philip's mother Alice, as Alice in her nun's habit was joining her family for a photo. Look up a documentary called "The Queens' Mother in Law" for info on her. I loathed the cruelty of those remarks, because I knew Princess Alice had fought her way back from mental illness, sheltered Jews in Greece during WWII, and turned down a life of ease to work with the poor in Greece. All while being deaf! Good for the writers for showing that side of the old Queens. 

I think that the main point was that by sniping on the Germans Queen Mary tried to let others forget that the Windsors were very much of German origin and she herself was born as the German Princess of Teck, although born and raised in Britain.

Also. her boasted about the ancient royal house of England, although Philip was, besides Prince of Greece, also Prince of Denmark and thus also a member of a very old royal house.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On ‎7‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 7:11 PM, MissLucas said:

But I wish they had given us a bit more about the courtship and some of the difficulties the young couple had to face. I would have loved to see Philip agonizing about his gift to the bride and then receiving his mother's tiara to have it remade into an engagement ring and the diamond bracelet Elizabeth wore at her wedding. That would have given us tons of touching background. But from the looks of it the show seems to rather focus on Philip's difficult sides (and Matt Smith's good sides if you know what I mean) than his difficulties. For example they showed him smoking in the Palace but IIRC it was never mentioned that he actually gave it up for Elizabeth after the wedding.

There is a reason why the courtship or the early marriage is not decribed - the title of the show is not Elizabeth and Philip but The Crown. Not that their relationship isn't important, it is but how it will change when Elizabeth becomes the Queen. Before that, what we actuallly had to know is that they were a happily married young couple.    

On ‎8‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Hanahope said:

Just started watching (since its available for offline viewing, I can watch while commuting).  I'm glad it at least started with George IV still alive, though I agree it would have been nice to see a bit more of the courtship of Elizabeth and Phillip, since I don't know too much about it.  Course, we do see some of the conflicts between the two, and Phillip having to concede to "the crown" in later episodes.  And good for George to remind Phillip that he does have to be there for, and support Elizabeth, not the other way around.  She will be the monarch, not him.  Its not completely clear that Phillip realizes this as much as he should.

Rewatching, I also think that is a great scene for it tells one of the main themes. And as many people, Philip promises too readily something whose actual meaning he had no idea about.

Edited by Roseanna
  • Love 2

I finally got around to watching this and loved it! I was really surprised it started the day before the wedding. I thought it would show more of their courtship. 

Jared Harris is such a great actor. He is nailing the King George role.

Since I don't subscribe to Netflix -- at least for streaming -- I missed this series, although it would be something I would absolutely watch if I had access. I ended up buying the first season on blu-ray since it was on sale during the holidays. I've watched the first three episodes and, I have to admit, I would've definitely appreciated a bit more about the courtship and engagement of Elizabeth and Phillip. I understand this is about The Crown; however, their relationship is a big part of that and I feel like we missed something by not seeing more about what they were like together before the wedding and their private thoughts about each other. Sort of like we got in the Victoria series on PBS. Anyway, everything else seems on point, although I agree that the actor playing Prince Phillip doesn't really have Phillip's military bearing. He seems more like a goofy younger brother to Phillip. ;-)

• Love 3
On 11/23/2017 at 7:03 PM, andromeda331 said:

I had to look away too. I'm really squeamish when it comes to almost any kind of surgery shown on TV. The rest of the episode is really good. I was worried about comparing Jared Harris to Colin Firth but it never happened. Jared Harris did a wonderful job. 

I agree. The scene at the Christmas party was heartbreaking.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎.‎1‎.‎2018 at 7:28 PM, Nidratime said:

I've watched the first three episodes and, I have to admit, I would've definitely appreciated a bit more about the courtship and engagement of Elizabeth and Phillip. I understand this is about The Crown; however, their relationship is a big part of that and I feel like we missed something by not seeing more about what they were like together before the wedding and their private thoughts about each other. 

Thoughts can be presented only as voice over but I don't think it's needed to understand Elizabeth and Philip's early relationship whuch is clear as glass: no secrets nor irony. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2016 at 12:20 AM, Lillybee said:

John Lithgow did a fantastic job of portraying Winston Churchill. I am old enough to remember Winston Churchill through the papers and newsreels. He totally nailed the posture and walk. 

We've just started watching this series.  Dear hubby had no idea that was Lithgow.  That's the way it should be.  But it seems to me Winston wasn't 6'4" either, as Lithgow is.  So while the stoop is correct, he's still a little tall.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrEwhWZDC1cyFEAiRZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyODVlOWZxBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQjI5NDRfMQRzZWMDc2M-?qid=20080122214354AAFjsCL

• Love 3

Eileen Adkins also portrayed Queen Mary in the 1980s Masterpiece Theater movie "Bertie and Elizabeth". 

I first saw it on the Ovation channel, and even subscribed to Acorn TV for a few months to watch it again.  I finally ended up buying it on Amazon.  

Great movie if you ever get a chance to see it.

• Love 4
On 1/12/2017 at 6:08 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This show has been on my long list of things to watch so it took me a while to get to it. This episode was so beautiful - the costumes, the sets, the cinematography.

Bertie is such a wonderful character to watch because he isn't one note. In this episode, he got to snap at his staff, get calmed down like a child, tell dirty limericks, have lovely moments with each of his daughters, and prank his son-in-law. His death is imminent so I'm glad we got to see several different facets of his personality.

Like others, I wish we had seen some of Elizabeth and Philip's courtship rather than getting plopped into their relationship right before the wedding, even if it was just a few short scenes.

My first few glimpses of Matt Smith as a very blonde Philip reminded me of Cary Elwes.

I would like to have seen that as well. 

On 11/22/2017 at 10:20 AM, Mystical chick said:

It wasn't for me, but I did have to turn away. 

• Love 1
On 7/19/2019 at 7:52 PM, marypat57 said:

Eileen Adkins also portrayed Queen Mary in the 1980s Masterpiece Theater movie "Bertie and Elizabeth". 

I first saw it on the Ovation channel, and even subscribed to Acorn TV for a few months to watch it again.  I finally ended up buying it on Amazon.  

Great movie if you ever get a chance to see it.

I like that movie although I wish it had been longer. Or maybe when their done with this series go backwards and do one on Bertie and Elizabeth. There's really a lot of story to cover.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, b2H said:

We've just started watching this series.  Dear hubby had no idea that was Lithgow.  That's the way it should be.  But it seems to me Winston wasn't 6'4" either, as Lithgow is.  So while the stoop is correct, he's still a little tall.

And Johnny Cash wasn't 5'8".   Good thing actors are interpreters, not imitators.  😉  I think Lithgow was masterful in this series.

• Love 6
On 8/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, andromeda331 said:

I like that movie although I wish it had been longer. Or maybe when their done with this series go backwards and do one on Bertie and Elizabeth. There's really a lot of story to cover.

I totally agree with you.  The movie would have been better if it was a 2 parter. It was originally a Masterpiece Theater movie on PBS

I remember the made for TV movie Eleanor and Franklin.  I actually picked up a dvd set of that series for a bargain price from Amazon a number of years ago.  That story was told in 3 parts..Bertie and Elizabeth had enough material i  it to cover 3 episodes.

Jane Alexander and the late Edward Herrmann were outstanding as Eleanor and FDR.

It would be wonderful if they started with Bertie's childhood and the beginnings of his stuttering.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the season 3 premiere in December.

• Love 3

Started rewatching seasons 1 and 2 last night in preparation for the start of season 3 in November.  It was interesting to watch Queen Mary (George VI's mother) and realize she was the queen who visited "Downton Abbey" in the latest movie.  Geraldine James played her a lot warmer.

• Love 5

Amazing debut.  The detailing and sets had to cost a fortune.

One of the most important aspects of being a sovereign is not so much what s/he may say, it's what is intentionally unsaid and unquestioned by them.  Bertie did not really want to know, imo.  

It's odd to me that there are almost always reactive crowds whenever and wherever a Royal or a PM go.  Obviously, traveling out into the country would elicit much interest and folks would turn out as the party would pass by.  

The words and actions of Churchill depicted are very well chosen.  I just can't buy Lithgow in the role.  The man certainly tried, though.  He did not mail it in.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:46 PM, AZChristian said:

Started rewatching seasons 1 and 2 last night in preparation for the start of season 3 in November.  It was interesting to watch Queen Mary (George VI's mother) and realize she was the queen who visited "Downton Abbey" in the latest movie.  Geraldine James played her a lot warmer.

Fellowes promoted the "warmer" side of Queen Mary in Downton Abbey - her sterner and less maternal side came to the forefront when Edward VIII was whoring around with married woman and after the death of George V, which is the time period in which The Crown takes place.  I think the abdication broke her somewhat - she could not believe a son of hers who forego his duty.

If you want to see an excellent portrayal of her, by the way, see if you can find the 6-part series "Edward and Mrs. Simpson".  According to IMDB, it's available on their streaming service (through PRIME, but the channel is free).  

• Love 2