Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Chapter Forty-Eight

Jane and Michael's housewarming party in their new home hits a snag when they discover they are being evicted for not paying their rent. Rogelio is still trying to break into American television, but needs some unusual help from Rafael. Xo makes a new career choice, but Alba and Jane aren't convinced this is the one for her. Meanwhile, "Petra" shocks Rafael with what she wants to do with her shares of the hotel.

Promo:

If there's an element to the Villanueva family backstory that really doesn't make much sense, it's that Alba, as a home health worker, seems to have been basically the sole income-earner not just for herself but also for Xiomara, a frigging adult woman, and Jane, until Jane started working as a teenager.  It seems like all Xo does is teach the odd dance class.  For all that Alba is meant to be a strict, conservative type, that seems insanely indulgent of Xo even if it was technically possible for her to do it.

This episode did something I've really wanted to see more of, namely, mixing up the cast interactions a bit more.  It was great to see Rafael and Luisa interact with Rogelio without Jane being involved, for instance.  Though I'm not sure why Rafael was so put-off by Jane Seymour.

Hey, Coach Beiste!

• Love 1

Rogelio makes everyone and everything better.

Really disappointed that the narrator is again alluding to possible doom for Jane and Michael. It completely ruins my ability to invest in characters and relationships when they're hinting at possible outcomes. Either tell me nothing and let me watch it unfold, or tell me the ending and let me enjoy the journey.

The triangle and back-and-forth regarding Jane's love life has always been my biggest problem with the show (and has led me to check out periodically and then pick back up). That line really put a damper on my amusement for this episode.

• Love 5

Why, narrator? Why you gotta drop a hint toward a Michael/Jane breakup or death or something? There better be a twist to that foreshadowing. 

I am glad to see Rogelio interacting with other characters more, especially with Rafael and Luisa. I always love when shows mix up the pairings because there can be so much done, and this was no exception. I especially loved the Rogelio/Luisa scene. Luisa was so toned down compared to her other appearances, and I really appreciate getting a better look into her as a person. 

Yes! Jane figures it out about Petra/Anezka and probably confirms Rafael's gut about Petra, even if he didn't know it fully. I wonder if real Petra will finally be awoken next episode. God, I hope so.

I loved the Alba/Xo scenes. They're always so good even without Jane. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't read too much into what the narrator says or doesn't say.  It's a telenovela and it's the narrator's job to keep the story interesting. 

Michael and Jane will obviously have their ups and downs, all couples do.  They certainly did in this episode.  It will be really interesting to me to see if the relationship will be able to be sustained for the rest of the season.

I'm glad that I'm not overly invested in the romantic relationships anymore, makes for a more enjoyable viewing of the show.

I think anyone would be uncomfortable fending off the advances of an older woman especially when you didn't want to go out with her in the first place.

I really enjoyed watching Alba and Xo trying to get along without Jane. I thought Baby Jane reminding them to be kind to each other was very cute. 

I'm excited that Jane finally figured out that Aneska is impersonating Petra, I hope they rescue her soon. All in all a good episode.

• Love 1

Yay, we can have Jane and Petra back soon. I hope that Jane comes to her rescue next week and they can be BFF's again. I forgot that she paid half their rent. I liked Jane and Michael cutting their budget, but does Michael not make that much being a detective? 

Has Alba always supported Xo and Jane? Wow.

3 hours ago, SeanC said:

If there's an element to the Villanueva family backstory that really doesn't make much sense, it's that Alba, as a home health worker, seems to have been basically the sole income-earner not just for herself but also for Xiomara, a frigging adult woman, and Jane, until Jane started working as a teenager.  It seems like all Xo does is teach the odd dance class.  For all that Alba is meant to be a strict, conservative type, that seems insanely indulgent of Xo even if it was technically possible for her to do it.

Does Alba own the house, or has she been renting it this entire time? If she owns, maybe she and her late husband managed to pay off the mortgage before he died, and/or he had a life insurance policy. If she had no other house-related payments besides property taxes and utilities, the Villanuevas could have scraped by on her income and Xo's odd jobs. On the other hand, if she's been renting, it does seem unrealistic that she was able to keep up with market rent for a three-bedroom house, since I don't think Florida has rent control. Maybe she has a scandalous "arrangement" with the landlord that will be revealed later down the line (knowing this show, I'm only half-joking).

29 minutes ago, twoods said:

I liked Jane and Michael cutting their budget, but does Michael not make that much being a detective? 

I was wondering that too, especially since he emphasized tonight that he's been a government employee with a 401(k) for over a decade. Maybe he doesn't get paid his full salary while on medical leave, and perhaps he also has to pay a deductible for his hospital stay and rehab after the shooting.

Edited by chocolatine
(edited)

I'm with the narrator - thank goodness someone finally figured out that Petra is not Petra!

I knew that Xo wouldn't last at the bank job. I'm surprised she even wanted to take the job. I liked that Alba kept telling her to take her time, to make lists, etc. because she is more concerned that Xo finds something she likes, not just a job that pays her. And yay for Alba getting a new job!

I loved that in the scene where Scott offered Jane $1000, you could see pictures from Mateo's birth and the wedding on the walls behind them. $1000 a month is a pretty damn good raise so I understand why Lina took it.

I, too, enjoy when the pairings get mixed around so I really liked seeing Rogelio and Luisa. OF COURSE he used that Meisner exercise with her! I thought it was really sweet that she was trying so hard to enjoy watching his movie. I don't expect them to become BFFs, but I wouldn't mind them becoming more than acquaintances through Jane and Rafael. I think they would be good for each other as friends. I really liked the way she gently called him on the things he said like when he said he knew what she was going through and she said, "In real life?"

Similarly, I don't think that anyone can ever supersede Michael as Rogelio's best brogelio, but it was nice to see Rafael and Rogelio making an effort with each other. Poor Rafael is a better sport than I am. I don't think I would have been as nice about my ex's dad pimping me out to some lady in the hopes of getting cast in a tv movie.

I assumed that Alba owned the house. Like many other places in this country, if you were able to buy back before the 90s or 00s, then you now live in a house that you couldn't afford to buy at current market rates. It's true of my parents' house as well as a lot of other people's parents/grandparents. It's ridiculous to see how much the prices skyrocketed.

I understand that money was tight when Jane was growing up, but that's no reason to outright LIE to Michael about their expenses. For the record, I think that although Jane and Michael generally have a good relationship, there were a lot of things they should have discussed well before they got engaged the first time (including a lot of things that they FINALLY talked about the night before the wedding) and their finances is a big one.

Before you marry someone, you should sit down with all of your bills, loans, credit card statements, etc. As cold (and boring) as it sounds, you should still do it. You should also discuss things like if you will maintain separate bank accounts, put everything in one account, or have separate accounts and have one shared account for household expenses. You should talk about how you will split the bills, especially if one of you makes more money than the other person. Will you split everything 50/50 or will you determine how much each person pays based on how much money they make (this is something that I think Jane still struggles with a little regarding how much she spends on Mateo vs. how much Rafael spends)? How much money can you spend without consulting the other person? I know that sounds very micromanaging, but I know people whose spouses came home with a brand new car. I'm not saying you necessarily need to ask permission to buy things but where is the line before it's an issue? Like if you come home with a pair of new shoes, no problem. But if you come home with ten pairs of new shoes, is that going to be an argument? Or if you come home with a boat, is that going to be an argument? The more you know about each other's debt and spending habits beforehand, the better off you will be going into any kind of long term relationship. At least if you know about these things ahead of time, you can talk about it and make some decisions.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

Just when I thought "Lord, not another story about control of the Marbella," it turns out it was all in service of Jane realizing that Petra is really Anezka. I love that this show clearly knows what it's doing, and so, even though I am worried about the ominous note the narrator struck for Michael and Jane, they've established that no matter how firmly they set up a zig, you've always got to be ready for a zag instead.

Also, I am SO READY for Petra to come back! I like Jane and Raf teaming up to save her, and I am excited for the world of hurt she will bring down on Anezka.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SeanC said:

Hey, Coach Beiste!

When I saw her, I actually cheered a little. I like the actress so much.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't think I would have been as nice about my ex's dad pimping me out to some lady in the hopes of getting cast in a tv movie.

While I totally agree - I wouldn't have been as nice either - but Rogelio is more than his ex's dad - he's Matteo's grandfather. So, that's a connection they'll have for life.

I thought Xo waitressed (over the years) at the bar she sang at? It seems like given her passion, she'd likely have worked in bars (once she was old enough, of course).

I'm looking forward to Petra's return - and in particular, I hope they have a great scene with her and Coach Beiste. Now that's a worthy match.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

"We'll just move back to a bigger place when we can afford it."

narrator: "And friends, they really believed that would happen,"

Is that what the narrator said that has so many people expecting doom for Jane and Michael?  It didn't even register with me when I was watching the show, and was perplexed reading the comments here.  I don't think it necessarily has to mean anything, except that they really did believe they would move to a larger home when they could afford it... and most likely do.  It's not like he says they were wrong to believe that.  It's probably typical narrator misdirection.  (Or could they be hinting at moving in with Alba for some reason?)

I enjoyed the new Rogelio pairings so much!  And thank God they have finally figured out 'Petra' is Anezka.  I have missed the real Petra, and I'm so glad Jane is the one that actually realized it wasn't her.  I love their budding friendship.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this episode very much. There was a good mix of character interactions, and it really felt like the Jane The virgin episodes from season 1.

Loved, loved, loved the "Jane the virgin" episode caption and image.  Especially the image they froze on. LOL, literally!

Rafael and Rogelio in the elevator. Another LOL moment. Especially when Rogelio checked Raf's backside!

Rogelio helping Luisa was pretty darn good. I enjoyed their scenes together. 

alba's job at the store - I thought for sure she was going there almost every day to see the nice gentleman who gave her a discount. But no! She's working there. Nice, I like it.

And finally Jane realizes Petra is not Petra. I am really looking forward to how she and Rafael work at uncovering Aneska, and the world of hurt the real Petra will give her sister!

Edited by Bouffe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

Is that what the narrator said that has so many people expecting doom for Jane and Michael?  It didn't even register with me when I was watching the show, and was perplexed reading the comments here.  I don't think it necessarily has to mean anything, except that they really did believe they would move to a larger home when they could afford it... and most likely do.  It's not like he says they were wrong to believe that.  It's probably typical narrator misdirection.  (Or could they be hinting at moving in with Alba for some reason?)

For me, when I rewatched that scene, it was the way the narrator said it; he had a very sad and somber tone to his voice, and even said that this particular story would be told at a later date. It made it seem like Jane and Michael would not move into a bigger place, even if they believed that they would at the time. It implied to me that something happens, whether financially or in terms of their relationship. 

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

For me, when I rewatched that scene, it was the way the narrator said it; he had a very sad and somber tone to his voice, and even said that this particular story would be told at a later date. It made it seem like Jane and Michael would not move into a bigger place, even if they believed that they would at the time. It implied to me that something happens, whether financially or in terms of their relationship. 

Thank you for the explanation.  I need to rewatch the episode.  I was very distracted last night and pretty much missed that whole thing.

Maybe Jane and Michael will decide to embrace the Tiny House movement. Or live on a boat. That would be entertaining!

Or maybe housing prices will continue to climb and their careers will stagnate and they'll have other expenses and just never have enough money for a big place.

Flamingo party! I love it.

I want Petra rescued ASAP, and then I want Rogelio to help her recover. He has actually been held hostage in real life, if not completely frozen inside his body, so that plus his acting method skills means this has to happen. Those two need some serious screen time together. But I also want Rogelio to continue his friendship with Rafael, because that is gold.

• Love 4

I just happened to watch a couple of episodes from last season. They had been foreshadowing that Michael and Jane would have disagreements about money when Michael spent half of their honeymoon money on a night in the Biltmore. The night before the wedding Jane and Michael start talking about things that would come up during their marriage. I love that this show is so smart and thoughtful.

• Love 1

I'm confused about something. Back when Jane and Michael signed the lease, Petra said when she talked to the agent that she OWNED the house. This bit was repeated in the previouslies. But now there's some theoretical $2000/month rent that isn't being collected and the agent is trying to kick them out and get new tenants? If Petra owns the house, then the rent she was charging (secretly, through the agent) would be the real rent even if the market rate or mortgage if one had to get a mortgage was twice as much.

Or was that just an error on either her part or the writers', and she was really only subsidizing their rent?

Another reason that what Jane and Michael believe to be true about living in a smaller place until they can afford a bigger one might not happen is that once they rescue Petra and she's awake and in charge of her affairs again, she may insist on continuing to keep them in that home.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Another reason that what Jane and Michael believe to be true about living in a smaller place until they can afford a bigger one might not happen is that once they rescue Petra and she's awake and in charge of her affairs again, she may insist on continuing to keep them in that home.

Yeah, that's how I took it as well, that they actually won't be moving anywhere. I didn't really think it was foreshadowing of any kind - breaking Jane and Michael up for whatever reason any time soon after all they've been through would be beyond ridiculous and I believe the writers are well aware of that.

I'm SO glad Jane figured out something was not right. The Petra situation was becoming too disturbing. I'm also curious to see what they're going to do with Anezka's character after everything is revealed, I'm not sure she can be redeemed at this point. And I must say Yeal Grobglas is doing a fantastic job - I really feel that in many ways she has been the heart and soul of this show, even more so than Jane, although Gina Rodriguez is absolutely amazing as well. 

Also, while I love, love, love Luisa and would like nothing better than Yara Martinez being able to commit to the show full time, I still wish they'd start writing her a bit more seriously. I don't think her relationship with Rose can be played out for the laughs anymore and her checking in and out of rehab is getting somewhat repetitive. Show, find a real place for Luisa, please! 

Edited by Joana
  • Love 1

I'm tired of the Anezka as Petra storyline and am looking forward to the real Petra coming back. Yael Grobglas is great. Can't wait to see how Petra/Jane progresses especially after it becomes clear that it was Jane who figured it out. 

Love Rogelio figuring out that he now likes Rafael. 

• Love 3

I was behind on this season and caught up this week. Need comedies badly this week, especially diverse ones.

Happy for the love triangle to be over. (For now. I know they won't have Jane cheat on her marriage, but there's always been that axe hanging over Michael's head. I don't think that will be a popular choice if they go that route.)

That financial argument was too real. I've been the person padding the budget due to growing up poor. 

Rogelio with anyone is comedy gold.

Edit: quick shout out for another amazing CW comedy with a diverse cast that is struggling in the ratings, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Don't let the name dissuade you. First season is on Netflix, go binge it. Especially if this week has been hard for you. Yael Groblas did a guest appearance this week (S2 airing now). 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2

quick shout out for another amazing CW comedy with a diverse cast that is struggling in the ratings, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Don't let the name dissuade you. First season is on Netflix, go binge it. Especially if this week has been hard for you. Yael Groblas did a guest appearance this week (S2 airing now). 

WORD to this. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is tremendous! 

Edited by LisaM
cannot copy and paste correctly!
  • Love 1
On 08/11/2016 at 1:31 PM, AnnaRose said:

Is that what the narrator said that has so many people expecting doom for Jane and Michael?  It didn't even register with me when I was watching the show, and was perplexed reading the comments here. 

Ditto, I thought it was a reference to the fact that their financial situation is probably always going to be strained and they'll be unlikely to move back to a larger place unless something changes (or they accept the money from all the wealthy people in their lives).