Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

Today is day 3 of my self-imposed TV news blackout. So far, I've done housekeeping chores, fiddled with the feral cat shelters in the yard, and baked cookies. Now I'm going back to the great book I started last night. It's been good to reduce my exposure to the crazy-making incessant noise.

Cuteropolis is a good source of cute critter pics. Also, Google wombats! Australia has the cutest animals.

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Plenty of sloth videos.  Here's one getting a bath:

Because he has mange!  A sloth with mange is still cute. 

Oops!  Sorry--I just picked the first short video I saw.  Poor little guy.  But, yes, it was still adorable.

19 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Even the Queen of England is upset about our election.

If this doesn't go the way I want, is she offering asylum?

Ha!  Let's hope, huh? 

For those of you not familiar with the Hamilton soundtrack, you'd probably get a kick out of the three songs sung to America by King George (the first is a little over 3 minutes, but the final two are much shorter):

You'll Be Back

What Comes Next

I Know Him

• Love 6

Glad I found this thread!  I will be here with Rachel on my tv and a bottle of Scotch. I worked for Obama in FL and he turned the state blue. I even met Bill Clinton (swoon).  I was in a state during that election and am oddly calm today about this one. Full disclosure,  I am on narcotics for a slipped disc. Whatever works, right?

I love bats, too, especially fruit bats. Sweet video.  

• Love 14
3 hours ago, HumblePi said:

Whatever you do, don't use the virtual reality goggles to relax. They tried to get this mom to relax while in the hospital waiting room while her husband was undergoing surgery by watching a roller coaster.  Bad idea.

Thank you so much for posting this.  I laughed out loud for 2 minutes (it took me 14 seconds after the video stopped for me stop laughing).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

For those of you not familiar with the Hamilton soundtrack, you'd probably get a kick out of the three songs sung to America by King George (the first is a little over 3 minutes, but the final two are much shorter):

You'll Be Back

I saw the thing on PBS about making "Hamilton," and they played a bit of this song.  While I don't think King George could have predicted the specifics, what this does prove is that sometimes you just have to be patient--like almost 250 years patient--for them to beg you to take them back. 

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I even met Bill Clinton (swoon).

I hear you.  I saw Bill Clinton speak once when he was president, in the gigantic basketball arena at the University of Texas.  I was sitting up on the side, about halfway back, and I'm telling you, there was something palpable.  Even from that far away, I thought, "I'd sleep with him," and I'm not much of a round heel. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
added an "I'm" to clarify it's me who's not much of a roundheel, although the thought of having to actually assert that I'm less promiscious than Bill Clinton has me doing some thinking.
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Oh, girl...sit down right here next to me! I looooooove champagne! Veuve is my hands-down favorite (even over Dom) and more recently I've found Heidsieck & Co. Monopole which was super affordable (all things considered) but I can't seem to get it anymore. Waaah!!!

oooo...thanks for this.  I'll look for it when I go champagne shopping after I vote tomorrow

7 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I hear you.  I saw Bill Clinton speak once when he was president, in the gigantic basketball arena at the University of Texas.  I was sitting up on the side, about halfway back, and I'm telling you, there was something palpable.  Even from that far away, I thought, "I'd sleep with him," and not much of a round heel.

I worked at a theatre around the corner from the White House for 35 years.  I gave up my chance to meet Bill and Hill backstage so that someone else who absolutely adored him could do it.  And, I didn't think I could trust myself... 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I'm not sure if you're a podcast listener, but if you are, there's an episode of How Did This Get Made (a comedy podcast about bad movies) about Gods of Egypt (and actually, they also have one for Sucker Punch).  The episode is hilarious, and at the very least, it's another hour-long distraction. 

I need to check that out! Thanks, Princess Sparkle!

• Love 2

My friend caddied for him at an event. She's got the pics to prove it. She's a gorgeous blonde, and she said he was very aggressively flirting with her. She could have slept with him if she'd been inclined to.  But, she also said he was appropriate and kept his hands to himself. 

• Love 5

These observations about Bill Clinton are priceless!

My boss and I had lunch at the White House mess years ago as the guests of an ambassador.  I was so excited that I told my mother about it a few weeks before the scheduled lunch.  She was so full of concern and numerous warnings.  "Chile...are you sure you want to have lunch there with all that stuff that's going on?"  Of course, she was talking about the Lewinsky foolery.  "Are you going to be okay because according to Sister Etta Mae at church, he [Bill] has big hands and he's an equal opportunity booty hound!"  My poor mother kept up these warnings for weeks until she finally learned that the president was going to be in Africa on a historic trip.  Of course, I had too much respect to ask my mother how would Sister Etta Mae know about his hands and that he liked a little coffee with his cream?

I enjoyed the lunch with the ambassador, but was disappointed at not having an opportunity to meet the man I voted for twice.  But, I was grateful that my mother could finally stop her squawking.

• Love 13

My brother-in-law sat next to Bill Clinton at a local bar in Atlanta just a few months ago. My BIL even got his face on Fox News! Though he usually votes Republican, even he said he was pretty impressed with Bill, and that it was a pretty cool experience. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I hear you.  I saw Bill Clinton speak once when he was president, in the gigantic basketball arena at the University of Texas.  I was sitting up on the side, about halfway back, and I'm telling you, there was something palpable.  Even from that far away, I thought, "I'd sleep with him," and I'm not much of a round heel. 

I would do him, too!  Oh yes.   He shook my hand, looked me straight in they eyes (like has been said he does with everyone), smiled and squeezed my hand.  Wow, what huge presence that man has.  I felt weak in the knees.  I also heard him speak at the Obama rally that day.  A woman fainted from the heat and she was positioned way behind him to his left.  He noticed that and worked it in as he spoke.  He must have had a glimpse out of the corner of his eye.  He doesn't miss a beat.  My husband was there, too, and I told him I would do Clinton and he said well, I wouldn't but I would cuddle!  LOL!  

He flirted outrageously with my DIL (another time and place) and he offered to show her around the library (LOL and yuh).  She is a pilot and was flying out that evening so could not meet with him but she said she definitely would have done him!    She was single and had not yet met my son at that time. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I saw the thing on PBS about making "Hamilton," and they played a bit of this song.  While I don't think King George could have predicted the specifics, what this does prove is that sometimes you just have to be patient--like almost 250 years patient--for them to beg you to take them back. 

Oh, you made me laugh!  And that's no small feat, given the political climate.  Thanks :)

• Love 3

As I am a traveling consultant, normally, I vote by absentee ballot, so I can gladly ignore all of the nonsense.  I probably will avoid the news for the next nine days.

Sadly, I am not traveling the week of the election, so I will be 'watching' the returns on my iPad, via probably Talking Points Memo.  Though I am an east coast girl by birth, I am now in western Wisconsin, on the MN border, so I can get about half the States before bedtime.  Methinks we will be blue on both coasts and mostly red in the center when it is all said and done.  Not sure if I will imbibe on 8 November, but I will sure breathe a sigh of relief on Wednesday morning when it will (had better) be all over, but the shouting.

i suspect when HRC wins, his supporters will cause problems.  I expect a mass protest at her inauguration, led by the GOP, after which the impeachment proceedings will start, laying the groundwork for the next four years.

I am not worried much.  We all just have to show up and do what we need to do.  Vote conscience; vote unconscious, but vote.  Don't allow the country to go backward because some folks didn't get the pony of a million dollars they were apparently once promised, but didn't put the effort in to actually get.

• Love 5

I feel positive.  I spent all day away from too much information, just reading here occasionally.   Comey must be Ashcroft's illegitimate son.   I don't know what people in the media are saying, but what they're doing is driving people away from viewing their shows.   It's clear that the GOP is desperate, and that Comey tried for a hail mary pass, but all he's going to do is stir people up against him.   He tried to give them their October surprise, because wikileaks turned into another nothingburger.   So he  came up with a national enquirer story with a blind item like a gossip columnist.   The FBI should not stand for this.  The Justice Department should not stand for this.  The President should not stand for this.  

• Love 12

Narcotics aside, lol, does anyone else feel more positive now? I do. 

I'm sorry to say, no I don't.  I'm a nervous person on the regular so throw in EVERYTHING going on and I'm still pretty much a wreck.  I shudder to think about what I'd be like if I didn't have this thread though.

Maybe I need narcotics.  What would you recommend? LOL.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Narcotics aside, lol, does anyone else feel more positive now? I do. 

I'm more FIRED UP!  I was already pissed to the highest of pissivity after feeling sick to my stomach on Friday evening.  I am more determined than ever that the bloated Cheeto with the duck pout has to be defeated at the polls.  His wife must never be allowed to start picking out tacky gold and brocade curtains for the White House or gaudy china with the letter "T" emblazoned in the middle.  His older sons with their pointy heads must not ever be allowed to set policy or even consider careers in politics.  His daughter (the one that matters to him), daughters-in-law and any female associated with him must not ever be given a platform.  Poor Tiffany should go on to law school and go back into oblivion.

It's not enough to win this election anymore.  I want the whole lot of them utterly humiliated while the patriarch is being tried for his numerous crimes.

• Love 16

On the Trump thread there was talk of voodoo dolls.  Now, I am not suggesting you actually make a voodoo doll of Trump and keep it in your living room - nobody should have something that ugly in their home - but I am suggesting that you periodically close your eyes and imagine where you would stick that pin - in the part that matters most to him? in his little anus mouth? jab his itty bitty hand?

To bad you can poke it into his heart or his brain, if they exist, they'd be too hard to find.  

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

On the Trump thread there was talk of voodoo dolls.  Now, I am not suggesting you actually make a voodoo doll of Trump and keep it in your living room - nobody should have something that ugly in their home - but I am suggesting that you periodically close your eyes and imagine where you would stick that pin - in the part that matters most to him? in his little anus mouth? jab his itty bitty hand?

To bad you can poke it into his heart or his brain, if they exist, they'd be too hard to find.  

I was the one who brought up voodoo dolls and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I know it is a part of a very real religion and it has genuine meaning to some, so again, my apologies. I did not mean to trivialize it.

Getting out and voting and being well-informed is the real path to meaningful change, not magical thinking. But sometimes, I wish my wishes could take shape. Like getting through to people that Trump is ignorant and cruel and dangerous. Sometimes, I feel so hopeless and powerless. 

On the subject of cute animals and Australia, fairy penguins are also adorable! I saw them many years ago when I visited there.

fairy penguin.jpg

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I was the one who brought up voodoo dolls and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I know it is a part of a very real religion and it has genuine meaning to some, so again, my apologies. I did not mean to trivialize it.

Getting out and voting and being well-informed is the real path to meaningful change, not magical thinking. But sometimes, I wish my wishes could take shape. Like getting through to people that Trump is ignorant and cruel and dangerous. Sometimes, I feel so hopeless and powerless. 

On the subject of cute animals and Australia, fairy penguins are also adorable! I saw them many years ago when I visited there.

6 minutes ago, Menrva said:

fairy penguin.jpg

People get offended at anything.   pfffffffffffffffft   PC is over the top.  The responsibility is in the hands of the offended; they have control over their reaction.  One cannot expect others to behave in a way that pleases you.  That is the ultimate in arrogance.

Impossible to convince someone Trump is bad and futile to try.   Those who like Trump will vote for him and that is that.  

We are powerful with our vote and how we treat people in our lives.  That is all we have and that is a lot!  

Hilary will win.  And that means we get to ooogle Bill again.  Oh would my heart but still it's beating.  :^)   

• Love 9
11 hours ago, rcc said:

LOL!  That's not true, but it made me laugh. This New Yorker piece was part of that publication's "Borowitz Report," a satirical column penned by humorist Andy Borowitz:

2 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

I'm more FIRED UP!  I was already pissed to the highest of pissivity after feeling sick to my stomach on Friday evening.  I am more determined than ever that the bloated Cheeto with the duck pout has to be defeated at the polls.  His wife must never be allowed to start picking out tacky gold and brocade curtains for the White House or gaudy china with the letter "T" emblazoned in the middle.  His older sons with their pointy heads must not ever be allowed to set policy or even consider careers in politics.  His daughter (the one that matters to him), daughters-in-law and any female associated with him must not ever be given a platform.  Poor Tiffany should go on to law school and go back into oblivion.

It's not enough to win this election anymore.  I want the whole lot of them utterly humiliated while the patriarch is being tried for his numerous crimes.

Yeah screw going high, let's go low.   lol

• Love 7

I'm majorly stressing again due to the stupid email nonsense. And I read an article where they suggest it is more likely to cause problems down ballot than with Hillary. That doesn't make me feel any better. I really wanted a Hillary win and to retake the Senate so we could maybe do something, like at the least have the right number of Supreme Court justices. 

• Love 9

I don't feel positive, but I'm going to say something positive that I -do- feel.

A week ago things were looking great for Hillary and pretty desperate for Trump. A lot of people began worrying about turn out because of thinking she would "have it in the bag". (For me, I thought how badly she needs to repudiate him with a landslide and was hoping so much for one).

Now people may be a little discouraged for a couple of days, but then, as the week wears on, get fired up again to not give up, and realize she CAN win, but that every vote now is very important. That's my hope anyway.

Also that some of the GOP heavy hitters will finally speak up, have some courage and integrity, and say for the benefit of their country (actually, when you think of it, for their party, too)-- "Whatever you do, don't vote for Trump".  They really need to do this.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Padma said:

I don't feel positive, but I'm going to say something positive that I -do- feel.

A week ago things were looking great for Hillary and pretty desperate for Trump. A lot of people began worrying about turn out because of thinking she would "have it in the bag". (For me, I thought how badly she needs to repudiate him with a landslide and was hoping so much for one).

Now people may be a little discouraged for a couple of days, but then, as the week wears on, get fired up again to not give up, and realize she CAN win, but that every vote now is very important. That's my hope anyway.

Also that some of the GOP heavy hitters will finally speak up, have some courage and integrity, and say for the benefit of their country (actually, when you think of it, for their party, too)-- "Whatever you do, don't vote for Trump".  They really need to do this.

Once the initial shock of it all dies down, which will be soon, I'm sure it's going to be alright and Hillary will win this election. Hillary sounds confident that they won't find any evidence of bad intent. I predict everyone will figure out that it's all bullshit and in the end might even be the final nail in Trump's political coffin because he's been so delighted to rush to judgement. Remember the old saying "fools rush in where others fear to tread" and he hasn't held back as a wiser man would have.  There's seven days left and people are in a panic but as we saw this week, a whole lot can change in a 24 hour period of time.

• Love 5

Would Johnson pull from Clinton or Trump, though? Maybe it's just because of where I live, but most of the #NeverTrump and #NeverHillary people I know are typically Republican voters.

I envy those of you who are so strongly supportive of Clinton, because I think you're going to be happy with the result. I, on the other hand, don't like either of them. Trump scares the crap out of me and disgusts me on a personal level, and I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I voted for him. Clinton, IF she's corrupt - note that I'm not saying she is - would at least be run-of-the-mill political corrupt, and not start-a-nuclear-war crazy. So I prefer her of those two options, but that's an incredibly low bar to clear.

Anyway, I think I can safely say she's going to win, and I don't think the electoral college will even be close, so rest easy! And I really don't think we're going to see "militias" or protests at the inauguration or whatnot. I live in a God-and-guns area, and even here most Trump supporters I know are "hold your nose" voters. They don't support him personally, and are vaguely horrified that he got the nomination, but think he's more aligned with their values. (They're wrong, but whatever.)

People are sticking with him because he has the "right" initial after his name, but I think they'll drop him like a hot turd when he loses. I don't see mass upheaval in his name :-)

All that to say, I'm confident we'll be spared the specter of Trumpism in the long run.

Also, people who hate cats meet kittens:

• Love 8

I was reading on another forum tonight and several people, a half dozen or so, were telling their stories about canvassing for Hillary this weekend in Michigan, Virginia, N Carolina, Iowa and several other places. Except for one, every one of them said the subject of the emails didn't come up once in their conversations with potential voters. Now, by this time they're only knocking on the doors of already identified Democratic voters to remind them how important it is to vote but they all said it just wasn't an issue at all. The one who had run into one person who brought it up said his potential voter was angry about the dirty tricks and it only made him more committed to go out and vote. Sounds like again it is the media going bonkers about something that just isn't that important to regular people.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, photo fox said:

Would Johnson pull from Clinton or Trump, though? Maybe it's just because of where I live, but most of the #NeverTrump and #NeverHillary people I know are typically Republican voters.

I envy those of you who are so strongly supportive of Clinton, because I think you're going to be happy with the result. I, on the other hand, don't like either of them. Trump scares the crap out of me and disgusts me on a personal level, and I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I voted for him. Clinton, IF she's corrupt - note that I'm not saying she is - would at least be run-of-the-mill political corrupt, and not start-a-nuclear-war crazy. So I prefer her of those two options, but that's an incredibly low bar to clear.

Anyway, I think I can safely say she's going to win, and I don't think the electoral college will even be close, so rest easy! And I really don't think we're going to see "militias" or protests at the inauguration or whatnot. I live in a God-and-guns area, and even here most Trump supporters I know are "hold your nose" voters. They don't support him personally, and are vaguely horrified that he got the nomination, but think he's more aligned with their values. (They're wrong, but whatever.)

People are sticking with him because he has the "right" initial after his name, but I think they'll drop him like a hot turd when he loses. I don't see mass upheaval in his name :-)

All that to say, I'm confident we'll be spared the specter of Trumpism in the long run.

Also, people who hate cats meet kittens:

Boy, this post was like therapy this morning, after getting up and listening to Joe and Mika for 5 minutes, with their hair of fire about Hilary!!!    Thank you for the calming comments and maybe ever more for the video!  As an avowed cat lover, it did my heart good to see the  converts ?

• Love 5

The concern that people will not vote because they think Hilary has this in the bag is ridiculous.  If you vote you do if you don't, you don't. 

There is nothing anyone can do other than vote. Worry accomplishes nothing. I am confident enough to enjoy my life for the next 8 days. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Way back before the primaries, I received a Vote For Trump postcard. Boy, did they waste the postage on that! I decided that this was a golden opportunity to do something satisfying and harmless so I crossed out his name with sharpie and taped over his face with electrical tape, and I pushpinned it upside down over the door inside my hall closet. I've added to the tape and sharpie periodically since then. 

• Love 4

If you don't want to use an actual voodoo doll out of respect then use marshmallow people. My daughter and I used to make them throughout her teen years as a way to express frustration or anger over friends,BFs,assignments etc. Simply attach them together,draw faces on them and stab away. Turns into a fun event and we all know how good laughter is. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

I should probably stay away from twitter like everyone else is saying. This is currently trending:

#HillaryForPrision    

25.6K Tweets

Interesting that it is trending with the incorrect spelling for prison....

No, they didn't!  LOL!  

It fascinates me that there is only one candidate who is facing at least 3 trials after the election; yet this is studiously ignored.  Other than Rachel Maddow, LOD, Chris Hayes, and Joy, hardly anyone in media is discussing it.  It was reported a few weeks ago that Drumpf's lawyers filed motions to keep the comments that came out of his foul pie hole from being used against him in his fraud trial.  I have no idea if the court(s) ruled on the motions or not. 

But, yes--let's keep reading poorly spelled tweets from Hillary haters.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm seeing more Gary Johnson can win if everyone votes for him memes. 

I'm  not concerned about him winning,  but my concern over the Nader effect is growing. 

Weirdly, I am not concerned about the Nader effect. I do see a lot of Johnson support, but it is from people who would be voting republican to begin with. I was for Bernie originally, as were a lot of my left leaning friends, and we all understand that Johnson runs on a campaign that is pretty much the opposite of what we believe in. I can respect Libertarians as individuals far more than Trump republicans, but there is nothing in that campaign that speaks to me. Johnson will be taking away mostly Trump votes.

1 minute ago, Janet Snakehole said:

Edited by Janet Snakehole
Accidentally quoted myself and added a word, darn ipad
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

If you don't want to use an actual voodoo doll out of respect then use marshmallow people. My daughter and I used to make them throughout her teen years as a way to express frustration or anger over friends,BFs,assignments etc. Simply attach them together,draw faces on them and stab away. Turns into a fun event and we all know how good laughter is. 

Might I suggest Marshmallow à la Microwave?

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3