Type keyword(s) to search

The Fakest Reality Shows

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Keeping up with the Kardashians.

Everything is so fake and scripted.  On most of the episodes every problem is usually solved by the end of the show except Khloe's bad marriage.You could play a drinking game for every time Kim says "like" or "annoying".

• Love 1

I've said elsewhere one of the worst for me are the "Wars" shows (Storage Wars, all the Storage Wars variants, Container Wars).  None of it seems real in the least.

• Love 2

Duggers. They have run out of real story lines. Everything is so staged and the kids have been on TV so long that are great actors. Boob and Michelle need to get off the YLC gravy train and take care of their kids.

• Love 3

Kardashians!  Ugh.  Gypsy grifter pimps her daughters for fame and fortune, presented as the perfect little family of girls.  Fake show, fake family, trashiest folks on TV.  Blegh.

My vote for fakest is Operation Repo.  It is ridiculously fake.  I have no idea why people want to watch fake reality tv.  At least partly fake reality tv has the unfake parts to enjoy. A completely fake and scripted 'reality' auto repo show makes no sense to me.  

In fact, almost every 'reality' show on TruTV is fake.  Irony apparently is part of their program plan. 

As the opening monologue at Australia's version of the Emmys a couple of years ago said, "Even the name of it doesn't make sense. Keeping Up with the Kardashians? In no way do I consider being on a level playing field with those people to be 'keeping up' with them. 'Dropping Back to Accommodate' the Kardashians. That show should be called 'Feeling Better About Myself at the End of a Long Day by Watching a Group of Vacuous Vanity Whores Who Haven't Worked Out That Attention and Love are Two Completely Different Things'."

• Love 15

The one where the guy goes to bars and restaurants and watches via hidden cameras as the employees steal from the store.  That show is so obviously phony it's ridiculous.

God yes.  Again I ask, what is the point of it?  It's not real so there isn't that fun, and it's way too terrible for anything scripted.  It's nothing.  Yet people watch it.  I don't get it.

He looks like Vince McMahon acts like Vince and like the WWF/E shows he sends us. Watching a big man act has its appeal

• Love 1

On the subject of Vince McMahon, I hear that show about the WWE Divas (God I hate calling them that) is almost entirely fictional.

• Love 1
(edited)

Joan & Melissa:  Joan Knows Best has so many ridiculous story lines.  Recently we were exposed to:

Melissa's friend/Joan's writer gets drunk and makes out with Melissa's boyfriend.  She is drunk, he lets her sleep in his bed at the hotel wearing little to nothing.  Melissa shows up unannounced and catches them.  Of course, since we have footage from inside the hotel room, I'm pretty sure she wasn't exactly unannounced.

Joan talks Melissa into giving her a sleeping pill.  Mel tells her to take half but of course Joan takes the whole pill.  She then calls people and does such things as giving an antique chair to one of her writers (who then has it refinished and reupholstered, ruining its value), calling a man she hates and ending their feud, etc.  

Joan gets concerned about earthquakes so she decides they need to be self-sufficient at the Malibu house.  She gets ducks and chickens which ruin the yard.   

I could go on and on but I feel myself getting more stupid just typing these.  No, I don't know why I ever watch this show.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 1
(edited)

Joan & Melissa:  Joan Knows Best has so many ridiculous story lines.  Recently we were exposed to:

Melissa's friend/Joan's writer gets drunk and makes out with Melissa's boyfriend.  She is drunk, he lets her sleep in his bed at the hotel wearing little to nothing.  Melissa shows up unannounced and catches them.  Of course, since we have footage from inside the hotel room, I'm pretty sure she wasn't exactly unannounced.

Joan talks Melissa into giving her a sleeping pill.  Mel tells her to take half but of course Joan takes the whole pill.  She then calls people and does such things as giving an antique chair to one of her writers (who then has it refinished and reupholstered, ruining its value), calling a man she hates and ending their feud, etc.  

Joan gets concerned about earthquakes so she decides they need to be self-sufficient at the Malibu house.  She gets ducks and chickens which ruin the yard.   

I could go on and on but I feel myself getting more stupid just typing these.  No, I don't know why I ever watch this show.  

All that anyone needs to notice about the Joan & Melissa show is how the "talking head" segments use the present tense, as if they're commenting on what's happening right that second, even though they're all shot at the same time on a static set.  It's not clear what conclusions viewers are supposed to come to concerning all of this.  It's so obviously fake, but I mean REALLY obvious--like maybe they aren't even denying it but instead highlighting it.

Of course there are people who actually believe that Joan, for example, always just HAPPENS to have the perfect zinger ready during Fashion Police, during segments that are supposed to be spontaneous. 

Edited by Kromm

I think Mythbusters is still pretty real.   They don't add "skits" for the drama.   It's still just take a myth and blow shit up.  

On the other hand, Sons of Guns has gotten so fake drama about everything that you almost forget this is a show about a gun shop.   Until they go blow shit up.

Clearly I am a woman of simple tastes.

• Love 2

I think Mythbusters is still pretty real.   They don't add "skits" for the drama.   It's still just take a myth and blow shit up.  

Hah,  Mythbusters is more docu-reality than "reality".  Episodes do have a dramatic structure, sure, and maybe even what could be called a plot, but the show is primarily constructed to explain, not to storytell.

The old Survivorman episodes were as close to reality as I've seen.  One guy, his cameras, and 7 days alone in the wilderness; that doesn't lend itself well to a lot of setups, trickery, producer interference or misleading editing.

• Love 3

The old Survivorman episodes were as close to reality as I've seen.  One guy, his cameras, and 7 days alone in the wilderness; that doesn't lend itself well to a lot of setups, trickery, producer interference or misleading editing.

More realistic than Man Vs. Wild, anyway, that's for sure.

• Love 1

Most of the HGTV shows. House Hunters, and House Hunters Intl' in particular, are completely fake. It says right on their websites, you have to already own a house before you can get on the show. Of the three houses they're looking at, one of them they've already bought, and usually, are already living there (in the case of HHI, they've lived there for a year or more!). The other two homes might be houses that belong to friends of theirs. 

Property Brothers is bad too; neither of the Brothers is really doing anything. Here again the couple has already bought a home that needs remodeling, so Drew isn't even doing anything and someone else has already come up with a design so neither does Jonathan. 

I realize that all "reality" shows have a little bit of fakery each episode.  I really don't mind that they are trying to amp up the drama.  So a couple of years ago, I started watching a show that featured "hidden" cameras, in a dining setting on Food Network.  Something seemed a little off. 

So imagine my surprise when I was tipped off that the whole show is "Fake, fake, fake, fake, fake" to quote Elaine Benis.  The people who appear in the "hidden" camera segments are not patrons, but Actors.  Paid actors. 

So "Mystery Diners" this is why I hate you with a thousand blazing suns.  You tried to decive me into thinking this was real. 

• Love 1

This one's not recent, but the Newlyweds and Jessica Simpsonvs behavior was rediculous and poor Nick looked embarrassed in half his scenes. He and his new wife are hardly ever seen and I don't blame him.

• Love 1

I've never seen anything but the commercials.  But do the women on the reality show I Want to Marry Harry believe that Prince Harry would do a really dating show?

Between the cracks you can see through the editing and all of the leading questions they are clearly asked in the talking heads, I'd say... most of them don't (or barely) believe it's Harry.  The show had to bolster the idea it's him with fake paparazzi, fake security, a fake (well, real, but not his) house that resembles a Palace, and tons of producer Ryan Seacrest's very real money.  And even still the fact that nobody around is willing to use a name (other than "Sir") or even a title (the real Harry would be "Your Hignessed" to death, I'd think, at least by the servants) clearly shows the weakness of the whole house of cards--even getting past the burden of believing that Harry would appear on a TV show to find a girl in the first place.

I Want to Marry Harry - the guy did party with Ryan Lochte in Las Vegas.  There might be room for doubt..... but they probably are just fame whores who want to be on TV.

I think that Deadliest Catch is still pretty real.

• Love 1

Isn't Pawn Stars mostly fake?  I find it hard to believe that Rick has a "buddy" who can determine whether every amazing item that comes in the shop is real or not, and that they always get there within five minutes. 

I think pawn stars has to be up there. I mean I find it hard to believe that when he is not counting all the money he makes or going on Letterman, Chumlee is ok with going to get lunch for the other guys, or sweeping up the shop or working crappy night shifts.

Not to mention all the other crap that goes on. Rick wrote a pawn stars book, and if you read the book, it kind of reveals how stuff that goes on, in the show is just crap. For example a number of times I have seen on the show where they buy something and then sell it right away or take it home. But in the book it talks about how when they do buy something, they have to keep it in secure storage for I think 30 days before they can do anything with it, just to make sure it doesn't get reported stolen.

• Love 1

I recall hearing that a lot of these decorating shows redo one wall or one vantage point of a room and leave the rest for the home owner to do.  They just complete enough to film.  I think at was specifically about Trading Spaces.

• Love 1

Technically, the multiple Joe Schmoe series are the "fakest reality shows", since they were fake reality shows.  As in, they were faking a reality show for the benefit of one or two people.  But they always had the viewing audience in on it with them, stating flat out in every episode that everything about the show was fake and everyone except for the designated Schmoe(s) is an actor playing a role.

But they probably count more as a "practical joke" or "hidden camera" series instead of a reality show.  The other shows mentioned though; yeah, pretty much all fake.

• Love 2

Add Supreme Justice with Karen Mills-Francis it's just as bad as We the People with Gloria Allred. They sue over stupid shit that Judge Mathis, Judge Judy, or Judge Milian wouldn't bother to preside over. On Supreme Justice a guy was suing a guy for jokes he written for him, charging $100 a joke. Really???

• Love 1

Since there have been professional joke writers for decades, it sounds legit to me. I guess how long the writer's been in the business and how well his jokes have done for other comedians helps determine his rate per joke. Since I haven't tried that type of writing, I can't say if that's a fair fee.

Well if you heard the jokes you would see that they weren't even worth anything. Also in that case the defendant says that he'll pay the plaintiff right then and there and then Judge Karen tells the bailiff to take the plaintiff to the ATM outside. Defendant comes back in and says it declined and said he brought the wrong card. Yea right. We all know in court cases that the plaintiff or defendant if any money is rewarded is given to them out of a fund, so no money exchange hands between plaintiff and defendant.

• Love 1

Love it or List it headed the parade in fake decorating/real estate shows.  They filmed 2 endings so they could keep the score even between Hilary and David.  The homes he showed them were not for sale.  You basically paid an amount to have work done in your house, labor being free so it was a good deal.  And the home owners knew the problems Hilary would "discover."  . That is why they went on the show in the first place! 

Edited by wings707

My Nomination is for the ---monster shows, primarily "ALASKA MONSTERS".  These guys are not even likable.  The monsters they never catch (they plot is always the same), elaborate traps that the monster either destroys, or gets in and gets out with ease.

The latest episode they were after the "otter man" a 500-1000 lb otter creature that shape shifts.  They made a trap representing the spiritual elements of a bear, and this thing shape shifted into the wind, and then fire.  It showed them.d

The dumbest animal in the world wouldn't go into these r******* traps, why would one who has supposedly eluded capture, photography, and "man" for 1000's of years? 

Runnerup is moonshiners.  Committing felonies on tv.  If you do that anywhere else, that is evidence and you would be indicted.  Stupid

Tv, but I guess people watch it.  

The Gordon Ramsay restaurant makeover shows are fake. My daughter was a bartender/waitress at a restaurant that was a candidate to be re-done.

The producers wanted her to pretend she was the chef because none of the real kitchen employees speak English, and she is also very attractive and photogenic. The restaurant didn't get chosen for the show after all,

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

every reality show on WE! If there were a thread for WE or for the trashiest reality show, they'd win. I only watch WE for Law & Order reruns, but get the ads for their trash shows. Marriage Made in Heaven: "I'd **** up a bitch that messes with MY son!" "I've had my fun, now I want a wife" - what a load of trash! Now there's some show with women in the south - maybe Atlanta - that I won't even quote the commercials they are so trashy. I don't want to watch those, don't want to watch SWV or Kendra on Top or Bottom or where ever else!

• Love 1

Love it or List it headed the parade in fake decorating/real estate shows.  They filmed 2 endings so they could keep the score even between Hilary and David.  The homes he showed them were not for sale.  You basically paid an amount to have work done in your house, labor being free so it was a good deal.  And the home owners knew the problems Hilary would "discover."  . That is why they went on the show in the first place! 

Bummer.  I just found this show and it's on all day every day, so I've been watching it a lot.  I almost always think, "You'd be crazy to stay in that house!" but I just packed up a house, so I can see the downside of moving, too.  Now I'm totally disillusioned!

But I might stick it out, because I approve of the homeowners putting up the money themselves--"a little skin in the game."  That's not fake, too, is it?

• Love 1

Not sure where else to post this, so... has anyone seen I Love Kellie on CMT? Starring Kellie Pickler from AI and her husband. It's mainly harmless fluff, which I very much appreciate after the horrible turn Southern Charm has taken. I vaguely recall Kellie as being tragically undereducated when she was on AI, but she's pleasant enough these days and she has friends who can get together without a screaming match (Real Housewives, I'm looking at you). Sure it's all fake, but it's nice fake.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wanna see a bunch of B/C-listers trying to extend their brands for five more minutes? 

Ha, I'm too embarrassed to campaign for a Famously Single forum, but this thing is a rich, rotten meaty mix of thoroughly despicable people thrusting their worst behavior towards the camera lens.  They make Janice Dickinson and Flav-a Flav, from back in the day, seem like respectable elder statesmen.

The most disturbing thing, though, isn't even show-manufactured.  The football player with the eight kids by seven women reminds me of that psycho on L&O:SVU who wanted to populate the earth with his own seed.  With all the pregnancies and all the STD potential from his obvious preference for unprotected sex--and his fondness for screwing strangers in public bathrooms--women need to be wearing body condoms just to step up and say hello.

Edited by candall
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I looked for a thread this morning and happy to find some discussion here.  What a mess!  And I love it. 

Aubry is the worst reality bitch I have seen and I watched Bandi on her HW show!  What is up with that woman?  

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I looked for a thread this morning and happy to find some discussion here.  What a mess!  And I love it. 

I love it, too.  Don't spread that around.  : )

That first night at the bar, when Brandi Glandville displayed the only shred of common human decency in evidence:  bananas.  It killed me when Pauly D was such a flaming asshole, screaming some childish insult at a total stranger--at the top of his lungs, over and over--and then the only argument that got through his pea brain about why this is inappropriate:  "It's unfair for celebrities to attack regular people because they're inferior and can't respond in kind."  Oh, yeah, duuuuuuuuuuh, I think I get where you're coming from on that, Doc.

1 hour ago, candall said:

I love it, too.  Don't spread that around.  : )

That first night at the bar, when Brandi Glandville displayed the only shred of common human decency in evidence:  bananas.  It killed me when Pauly D was such a flaming asshole, screaming some childish insult at a total stranger--at the top of his lungs, over and over--and then the only argument that got through his pea brain about why this is inappropriate:  "It's unfair for celebrities to attack regular people because they're inferior and can't respond in kind."  Oh, yeah, duuuuuuuuuuh, I think I get where you're coming from on that, Doc.

Yes, amazing that Brandi is the voice of reason.  What was he yelling repeatedly? I can't remember.  He wouldn't stop.   I will never tell a soul I saw you in here.  Your secret is safe with me and the internet.  No problem. 

7 minutes ago, wings707 said:

What was he yelling repeatedly?

WHAT ARE THOSE?!?  WHAT ARE THOSE?!?  WHAT ARE THOSE?!?  WHAT ARE THOSE?!?  WHAT ARE THOSE?!?  WHAT ARE THOSE?!?  WHAT ARE THOSE?!?

You know, the same thing anyone says when taking issue with a stranger's shoes.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, wings707 said:

Yes!  I remember that now!  Jerk does not cover it.  Thanks!

Got a dedicated thread and I'm out of the closet.  See you there!

I watched a therapist put an unhappy married couple through their paces on a "deserted" island last night.  Surviving Marriage: Love on the Rocks.

It was pretty laughable, except I could believe the wife really had fallen into a pattern of abdicating all decision-making agency.  And maybe I can also believe that a man wrapped a lifetime of feeling disappointed about not realizing his potential into a package he secretly calls "she got pregnant and trapped me." 

I'm not sure it's going to be all that great for their children to watch the show.