Type keyword(s) to search

Low Carb Eating

Wings
  • Start Topic

I eat low carb as a lifestyle to keep my weight on track and would like to share tips and meal ideas.   I have some "go too" plates that are very satisfying and would love to hear from others.  

A favorite meal of mine is cantaloupe, cottage cheese and bacon.  Sweet, creamy and salty all on one delicious plate.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I eat low carb as a lifestyle to keep my weight on track and would like to share tips and meal ideas.   I have some "go too" plates that are very satisfying and would love to hear from others.  

A favorite meal of mine is cantaloupe, cottage cheese and bacon.  Sweet, creamy and salty all on one delicious plate.   

Bacon?  I'm there!  I love bacon.  I'm not sure of the combination of cantaloupe, cottage cheese, and bacon all at once, though.  I like all of those things separately, but I'm not sure about together.  Shouldn't be too hard to mix up a small batch and try it though.  I love creamy stuff.  And sweet and salty, as long as it applies to chocolate and nuts.

I think the best place to start for me is with potatoes.  I love them.  Mashed, fried, deep fried, baked, added to stews and soups, etc. 

That is just a combination that I like.  

It is just about eating protein (any kind), easy on the cheese though, non starchy vegetables and low carb fruits (strawberries, peaches, melons, avocado).

Any combo at any meal, it is what you like.  This is not an Atkins diet!  

I eat carbs as a treat one day week.  Sweet potatoes are the best carb choice given their nutritional value. 

Another thing I do is hollow out a bagel, put hummus on one side and mayo on the other and fill it with chopped and seeded tomatoes and cucumber.  Delicious.  

When I decided not to be fat anymore, I quickly realized that carbs were a BIG percentage of what I had been eating. And drinking. 

So I didn't do away with them, or even consider them a treat, I just replaced some of them and choose lighter versions of other ones. For example, I replaced beer with hard liquor.  Okay, maybe that's not the best example to make me sound credible...

The three big things I do:

1. Steam in the bag vegetables are my friend at dinner time. On a day when I grill some something like chicken, I might serve potatoes or rice to my kids, but I grab a bag of whatever mixed vegetables I feel like and serve my chicken over them instead of the carb. I have a whole bunch of neat spice blends from Penzey's that doctor up the vegetables for me. And there's always butter and salt if you want them to taste good. I do this pretty much all the time now. I make meatloaf, and instead of the baked potato, I go with some other side most of the time.

2. Lower calorie or high fiber replacements. I stopped buying potato rolls or regular hot dog or hamburger rolls and switched to the store brand Light rolls. In Weight Watchers speak, I changed from a hamburger on a potato roll (14 points) to a lean protein burger, I doctor up a chicken burger to be pretty damn good, and a light roll (6 points) and am way better off calorie wise. Same for tortillas. There are lighter and higher fiber tortillas and wraps that replace the regular flour wraps and make a huge difference.

3. Pasta and rice replacements whenever I can do so.  When I make spaghetti and meatballs, I might go with a small portion of pasta and lots of meatballs and sauce. I might just skip the pasta entirely, and maybe have a slice of crusty bread because something's got to get that last bit of sauce. It's been suggested to me to do things like spaghetti squash or other vegetable replacements for pasta, but honestly, I don't like them here. The meatballs are the hero anyway, so why not just forget about the pasta?

That's pretty much it for me. I'm just aware of the impact of a giant roll or plate of pasta has on my diet that day, and find something else to replace them. Turns out I like wearing pants that fit, so I'm using that as motivation for now.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 4

Thanks for starting this, Wings707! I've been trying to cut down on carbs for the last couple of months. A couple of favorites of mine are sheetpan fajitas http://rachelschultz.com/2014/06/02/oven-roasted-fajitas/ and oven roasted chicken shawarma http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma. I tried cauliflower "rice" from Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

I could use breakfast ideas, though. I get a bit tired of eggs or plain yogurt with fruit. I don't usually like non-breakfast foods for breakfast so I'm in a bit of a rut.

• Love 1

I book marked the the shawarma for the seasoning it calls for.  

I usually keep roasted thighs in fridge and do exactly what they suggest.  Slice them up and heat in skillet to get them crispy.  The shawarma is nice change of flavors for me; I never think of turmeric.  I do it with jerk seasoning, too.  Thighs though, never breasts.  The skillet reheat is key to make chicken the most satisfying.  

Since low carb allows eating fat I don't worry about that.  I don't over do it either.  I never use chicken breasts in any form.  Thighs are a fabulous vehicle for all kinds of flavors and I leave the skin on and bone in; it keeps them moist.    I buy 80% ground beef too.  All the flavor is in the fat as is the moisture.  Lean ground beef is tasteless and dry.  

I drink liquor instead of wine and beer, too.  Easy for me, I prefer it!  Never drink wine or beer.  :^)  

Mashed cauliflower is a staple for me, roasted, too.  1/4 of a pack of cream cheese is enough for an entire head of mashed very satisfying.  Some dill or chives in there, too.  

On 10/28/2016 at 3:13 PM, MargeGunderson said:

plain yogurt with fruit.

That is my new favorite breakfast - plain Greek yogurt with diced strawberries or mango in it.  If I am feeling extra bold, I throw in some Trader Joe's granola.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2016 at 1:13 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Thanks for starting this, Wings707! I've been trying to cut down on carbs for the last couple of months. A couple of favorites of mine are sheetpan fajitas http://rachelschultz.com/2014/06/02/oven-roasted-fajitas/ and oven roasted chicken shawarma http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017161-oven-roasted-chicken-shawarma. I tried cauliflower "rice" from Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

I could use breakfast ideas, though. I get a bit tired of eggs or plain yogurt with fruit. I don't usually like non-breakfast foods for breakfast so I'm in a bit of a rut.

I have lost the name tags for meals so my first meal of the day varies greatly.   I fall asleep to the TV and it was on the cooking channel one night.  The last thing I remember was Cat Cora talking about a perfectly cooked medium rare NY strip steak.  So I awoke craving that and had steak!   Sometimes I hollow out a bagel and put vegetables, hummus and mayo in it.   This is my current favorite meal when I allow myself bread (2 days a week, tops).  

Since I like a cocktail in the evening my last meal is usually the lightest meal,  a salad or fruit and cottage cheese.  

• Love 1

Yesterday dinner was green salad, flank steak on my charcoal grill with a big pile of broccoli and cauliflower on the side.  The kids also had a baked potato and less steak.

I had to go fairly low carb all day yesterday, as the day before I went back out to my school to catch up with old friends. By my calculations, between 11:00 AM at the tailgate and 2:30 AM when I packed it in, I believe I drank 1.8 million beers. So, you know, a little course correction is in order for the next couple days.

• Love 2

I've been low carb since November of last year because I am a sugar addict and don't ever want to be fat again, but I love eating this way. 

My sister's wedding was the weekend before Thanksgiving and I'm finally getting fully back on track nutrition-wise. I do miss my high-fat yummy foods when I'm off-plan. 

Some of my favorite go-to meals:

Any kind of dairy (yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese) with mix-ins: nuts, seeds (I know flax is good for you, but, man, I hate the taste! I suck it up), coconut, strawberries, blueberries. 

Eggs and meat/eggs with cheese and sour cream - I had buffalo chicken dip and scrambled eggs for breakfast not long ago and yum.

Meat and veggies - simple, but good. Smoked sausage and sauerkraut is one of my favorites. And steak. I'm 100% carnivore.

Hard boiled eggs with deli meat, cheese, hummus, peppers, olives. A common lunch for me, I'm not a salad person.

Chocolate protein shakes with added peanut butter and coconut oil or bulletproof coffee if I don't feel like cooking.

I usually replace pasta with steamed/sauteed broccoli, cauliflower, or peppers. Making zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash can be too much work. Once I add the meat and sauce, I don't miss the pasta at all.

• Love 1

Ohhh, how do you make buffalo chicken dip?  That sounds delicious.  I eat the way to do, as well.  Love deviled eggs.  I eat hummus cautiously because it is a carb but I do allow some.   Smoked sausage and sauerkraut sounds perfect; I will get some. 

I often make a salad of red cabbage, carrots, radishes etc with hummus.  Lettuce/green salads become boring.  A BLT salad is an exception.  Thin mayo with a little water to make the consistency of dressing over coarsely chopped iceberg, tomatoes and bacon.  Delicious. 

On 10/28/2016 at 10:34 AM, Zahdii said:

Bacon?  I'm there!  I love bacon.  I'm not sure of the combination of cantaloupe, cottage cheese, and bacon all at once, though.  I like all of those things separately, but I'm not sure about together.  Shouldn't be too hard to mix up a small batch and try it though.  I love creamy stuff.  And sweet and salty, as long as it applies to chocolate and nuts.

I think the best place to start for me is with potatoes.  I love them.  Mashed, fried, deep fried, baked, added to stews and soups, etc. 

I don't mix it together.  A wedge of cantaloupe and cottage cheese on the side is delicious.  A bite of the melon with a little cottage cheese is good.  I have bacon on the side and just take a bite here and there as I eat.  

The glory of low carb is you don't have to worry about eating fat.  Saturated fat is not bad for you, as was once thought.  It will take as long for the world to get that as it did getting rid of the 4 basic food group plan of the 50s.   Eggs do not create cholesterol in your body either, another thing that will take time to catch on.  

AND mayo can sit out at room temp for hours (vinegar) it is not the problem, celery is.  Another myth that will take time.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

<snip>

I don't mix it together.  A wedge of cantaloupe and cottage cheese on the side is delicious.  A bite of the melon with a little cottage cheese is good.  I have bacon on the side and just take a bite here and there as I eat. 

<snip> 

AND mayo can sit out at room temp for hours (vinegar) it is not the problem, celery is.  Another myth that will take time.  

OK, having cantaloupe, cottage cheese, and bacon on the same plate sounds much better than a mixture.

I'll admit that one time long ago I left a deli roast beef and cheese sandwich (with mayo) in my car on a sunny day.  When I got back to it I was so hungry I ate it anyway (BTW, the sandwich was hot, and it was delicious!)  I didn't get sick at all, but I haven't tried that again, just in case the first time was a fluke.

But I didn't know that celery was a problem.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, wings707 said:

Ohhh, how do you make buffalo chicken dip?  That sounds delicious.  I eat the way to do, as well.  Love deviled eggs.  I eat hummus cautiously because it is a carb but I do allow some.   Smoked sausage and sauerkraut sounds perfect; I will get some. 

I often make a salad of red cabbage, carrots, radishes etc with hummus.  Lettuce/green salads become boring.  A BLT salad is an exception.  Thin mayo with a little water to make the consistency of dressing over coarsely chopped iceberg, tomatoes and bacon.  Delicious. 

There's a ton of recipes for buffalo chicken dip. Cook chicken or buy some in a can and add a dairy base (cream cheese is the most popular choice), ranch dressing, and/or bleu cheese, and buffalo hot sauce. Some people like to add cheddar cheese as well. You can just mix it and serve it or it can be baked until hot and bubbly.

I'm not a fan of lettuce, but that red cabbage salad sounds good. I will eat kale and spinach raw, so, if I'm going to have a salad, those are my choices. I like cabbage, but have never tried it raw. I will have to do so. I've never tried radishes, either.

I keep reaching into the bag of kettle corn that's in my kitchen, even though I don't want it. Grrr. I keep letting a foot off the wagon. Frustrating. Gotta be more self-disciplined.

• Love 1
On 10/28/2016 at 10:22 AM, Wings said:

I just wanted to say I looked and looked through all of the recipe forums and could not find this one.  Just a thought but if this one was removed to the recipe section I think it would get a lot more action.

I did low carb...kinda and was happy with the results.  It's my new years resolution to start again and try to wean myself off Sugar. 

One think I always make when low carbing is Cheese Chips.  I eat them with Hummus and also Guacamole.  They are yummy for any dips or spreads and so easy to make. 

I make mine in the microwave oven.  I put a piece of wax paper down in the microwave oven.  Put small mounds, maybe a big tablespoon of grated cheese,  make several and microwave them til they are toasty.  Don't let them get tooo brown.  You'll sson get the hang of it. 

1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

I just wanted to say I looked and looked through all of the recipe forums and could not find this one.  Just a thought but if this one was removed to the recipe section I think it would get a lot more action.

Sounds like a better place.  Only a mod can move a thread.  Keto eating is the more current term to define low carb. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Wings said:

Sounds like a better place.  Only a mod can move a thread.  Keto eating is the more current term to define low carb. 

Thank you.  I have participated in a couple of low carb recipe sections and there seemed to be quite a few and just from my experience of trying to find you over by the kitchen or recipes I thought it might be helpful.  The more we can get to participate the more great ideas for good food.

One thing I did notice is after I eat a carb meal I'm looking for sugar but when eliminating as many carbs as possible I have no interest in sugar.  Strange but true.

I like the idea of the hollowed out bagel.  I'll be trying it.  Right now I'm just trying to stay warm because baby it's cold outside in the Midwest!

• Love 1

For those going low carb:  Cauliflower is a miracle sub.  Use it for rice or pizza crust.  Bread can also be made with almond meal - I often mix almond meal and coconut flour together.  Yum!  

• Love 1

I'm reading a lot about cabbage.  I'm thinking some of you might have neat ways of fixing it.

I read one recipe to cut in wedges, drizzle with butter and add salt and pepper and roast.  I'm going to try that.

Btw anybody happen to know if any low carb tv cooking shows?

Low carb is easier than ever now that roasting veggies is all the rage.  Roast any veggie from broccoli to cauliflower to asparagus to Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper, and either garlic or shallots plus whatever spice blend you love if you need something extra, or hot sauce, peppers, etc.  Serve with any type of grilled meat including sausage, steak, chicken thighs, pork chops, etc.  Delicious and you WILL lose weight and (counterintuitively) improve your blood counts.

Other favorites include salads of all kinds, avocados, eggs (instant pot makes this a dream), cauliflower rice (Wok makes the best) , artichokes (again with the Instant Pot), all served with tons of spices, herbs, butter or full fat dressings.  Still, the improved blood counts in my experience.  Contradicts everything I was raised to believe, but 68 lbs is 68 lbs.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm reading a lot about cabbage.  I'm thinking some of you might have neat ways of fixing it.

@MargeGunderson linked to these in Holiday Food Traditions - Thanksgiving slaw or a shredded Brussels sprouts salad (exact links I need to bring over).

I've tried the Thanksgiving slaw and dressing - quite good, although I opted for a grainier Dijon mustard in the dressing and dried tart cherries in the salad. 

That'll make the rotations with the Asian Slaw I have become addicted to.  I use a different dressing - a merge of two or three that I found online, but I love this slaw.  Not all the ingredients go in every batch I make but I don't find it lacking as long as the basics are there - cabbage, carrots, almonds and the dressing.

Adding some protein to it with leftover chicken or whatnot works well too.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I read one recipe to cut in wedges, drizzle with butter and add salt and pepper and roast.  I'm going to try that.

Btw anybody happen to know if any low carb tv cooking shows?

YES, roasted cabbage is fantastic!  Sauerkraut is a great low carb option as well if you like that.  My mom used to just fry cabbage in bacon grease (I use olive oil for a lower calorie version).  Slice up some onions and cabbage, and just cook it until the cabbage is entirely cooked through, with a little bit of texture/crunch remaining.  It reheats well, too, so it's nice if you do meal prep.  If you're short on time, I'm sure you could use a slaw mix and cut down on the cooking time by half or more.

• Love 2

I love smoothies but no more ice cream in them!  I'm thinking I'll freeze yogurt and use that with my frozen fruits.

Interesting.  I just watched a video.  They made an egg scramble in a skillet with onion, eggs, cheese, fresh chopped spinach and diced tomatoes.

Laid out thin slices of ham and filled with the egg mixture.  Broiled.  They looked ?!

13 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup. Don't mess too much with the recipe, especially the recommended type of stock to use as the base. (Beef is the best, by far.)

This is an excellent way to create a tasty meal that gives me some flexibility to actually consume some carbs elsewhere during the day. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Low carb is easier than ever now that roasting veggies is all the rage.  Roast any veggie from broccoli to cauliflower to asparagus to Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper, and either garlic or shallots plus whatever spice blend you love if you need something extra, or hot sauce, peppers, etc.  Serve with any type of grilled meat including sausage, steak, chicken thighs, pork chops, etc.  Delicious and you WILL lose weight and (counterintuitively) improve your blood counts.

Other favorites include salads of all kinds, avocados, eggs (instant pot makes this a dream), cauliflower rice (Wok makes the best) , artichokes (again with the Instant Pot), all served with tons of spices, herbs, butter or full fat dressings.  Still, the improved blood counts in my experience.  Contradicts everything I was raised to believe, but 68 lbs is 68 lbs.

What is instant Pot?

(edited)

Low carb is easy but difficult to stay satisfied for the long haul.  I crave bread but even more so, something crispy like crackers.  I have those for a treat only.  

I had forgotten about that cabbage soup.  I will add that to my list.  

Since I live alone I don't make normal meals often.  I have what I call feeding sessions.  :^)   Small plate dining throughout the day.  I also always have a batch of cole slaw made up and ready to eat.  I rarely run out.  It is a favorite.  

The WW free style is hysterical.  I called and asked them what that meant as their ad says over 200 foods are free.  I had no intention of paying to do their stupid diet, I was just curious.  Well meat, fish, vegetables, lentils, beans and fruit are free. You can eat all you want of those.  Only limit is they say eat only to satisfaction.  Well that won't work for those who don't get it that you can put a spoke in the wheels of any weight reduction plan by eating too much fruit, lentils or beans.  

You count sweets and carbs and are allowed a small amount of points for those a week.  Silly, really.  They are just trying to stay current with the Keto trend.  

Google Fat Fast and read about it.  It kicks you into ketosis quickly.  1000 cals a day of high fat food, little or no protein. I am doing that now and have done it in the past.  3 to 5 days and you drop a huge amount and about half comes back on.  It puts you in ketosis so when you switch to low carb you are good to go.  That is the purpose. Nifty and easy to follow though you won't think so when you read more about it.  Fat keeps your appetite down, that is why it is easy.. 

Edited by Wings
55 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup. Don't mess too much with the recipe, especially the recommended type of stock to use as the base. (Beef is the best, by far.)

This is an excellent way to create a tasty meal that gives me some flexibility to actually consume some carbs elsewhere during the day. 

I was given a recipe for this in the '70s that used a 48 ounce can of tomato juice or V8 instead of stock -- reduce the juice by half & add a cup of water plus a bouillon cube (vegetable bouillon for vegetarians).  I've added cubed tofu for protein, & those who aren't vegetarian have added cooked shrimp or sausage.  Two cups of cabbage is required, but four cups of other vegetables can be whatever you like in any combination.  It's good hot or cold & freezes well. 

3 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

My mom used to just fry cabbage in bacon grease (I use olive oil for a lower calorie version).  Slice up some onions and cabbage, and just cook it until the cabbage is entirely cooked through, with a little bit of texture/crunch remaining.  It reheats well, too, so it's nice if you do meal prep.  If you're short on time, I'm sure you could use a slaw mix and cut down on the cooking time by half or more.

This with apple chicken sausages is a delicious winter meal. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

to just fry cabbage in bacon grease (I use olive oil for a lower calorie version). 

1 Tablespoon of fat is about 100 calories across the board.  No calories saved by choosing a different oil.  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Wings said:

1 Tablespoon of fat is about 100 calories across the board.  No calories saved by choosing a different oil.  

True. What is different is that some oils are better not used with high heat like olive oil. Avocado oil, pecan oil are glorious for frying. Bacon grease is promoted for low carb eating especially from a Keto point of view. I follow Keto but have recently had to up my carbs because my blood sugar is far too low in the mornings... nonreactive hypoglycemia so I have to eat an orange or a medium carb item. I personally do a relaxed Keto plan and I feel much better especially because I do strength training.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Wings said:

Sorry, I meant "healthier" version!  (Although the bacon grease option is DEFINITELY the tastier version...)

Interesting.  I just watched a video.  They made an egg scramble in a skillet with onion, eggs, cheese, fresh chopped spinach and diced tomatoes.

Laid out thin slices of ham and filled with the egg mixture.  Broiled.  They looked ?!

Hummm I thought ham and bean soup would be a good choice.  Now I'm not sure?

Has anyone tried the Walden Farms no carbs/no calories/no fat dressings? How bad could they taste ... right?

I try to keep my carb intake to a very strict 10 grams per meal (thanks, pancreas!), eat a lot of salad and love creamy dressings, but even the ones I make myself aren't zero carbs.

Edited by 2727
23 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Beans are not included in low carb menus because of the starch which turns to sugar which messes with natural insulin process. 

I don't think I digest many pulses too well - worse than "standard" carbs like rice/bread (I gain temporary weight, which stays for a day or two)!  One reason it's hard for me to go vegan.  You can't survive only on nuts as your main source of protein!  

• Love 1
On 1/3/2018 at 7:34 AM, larapu2000 said:

Sorry, I meant "healthier" version!  (Although the bacon grease option is DEFINITELY the tastier version...)

Bacon fat is a healthy fat, so are butter and a animal fats. This is one article of many.  I have been eating Keto/Paleo for years using these fats.  80/20 adherence.  I do have to have bread sometimes.  :) 

http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/2013/06/14/oh-for-the-love-of-fats-and-bacon-grease/

From the article. 

Oh, For the Love of Fats and Bacon Grease!

Now, let’s all be very calm and not jump to conclusions. Please don’t stop reading this because you’re under the assumption that fats are bad… fats aren’t the villains “They” have led us to believe. (you know “They” … “They” say fats are bad, “They” say to avoid cholesterol, “They” are a real pain in my a$$!)

Chaos seems to set in when I start talking about recipes that utilize fats like Bacon Grease… Sometimes I forget that many of you are not already accepting saturated animal fats as a part of a healthy diet and most people are still using the wrong fats all together in their kitchens.

Types of Healthy Animal Fats we use:

Tallow – Beef Fat, aka Suet, is fat from a cow that is rendered down into Tallow.

Lard, Pork Fat & Bacon Grease –  Pork Fats are generally broken down into 3 categories; lard, other rendered pork fat and bacon grease (bacon fat, bacon drippings, etc) . Leaf Fat, which is the fat that surrounds the kidneys and loin, is rendered into Lard, it’s the best fat on a pig. Lard is considered a pure fat with a delicate flavor. All other pork fats can be rendered down the same way but are not as good as Lard, we just refer to those rendered fats as “pork fat.”  Bacon Grease is the byproduct of cooking bacon. When you cook bacon, you are essentially rendering the solid fat into a liquid by heating, however instead of resulting in a mild/flavorless fat like lard or other rendered pork fats, it has been flavored by the seasoning/brine/smoking of the bacon. It can be used in place of any cooking fat, where the flavor of bacon would be yummy.. I even use is as the fat in the dressing for my Wilted Lettuce Salad.

Schmaltz is rendered poultry fat, most often from chicken but can be from a duck or goose. (click HERE for more on making/using Schmaltz) Schmaltz is used frequently in traditional Jewish cuisine as both a cooking and seasoning fat.

Butter & Ghee is made from Dairy Fat. When milk that has not been homogenized  is allowed to sit undisturbed the cream (fat) will rise to the top (just how the fat from homemade soups/stocks/broths will rise to the top when you refrigerate it) Cream is churned (by adjitation) which causes the fat to separate from the liquid, the fat is butter. Butter can be made into Ghee when the butter is heated causing the milk solids/caesin to separate and can be removed, leaving only a pure butter fat. (click HERE for info on making Ghee)

Types of Plant Fats we use, these are little more self explanatory 

Coconut Oil is made from coconuts. It’s solid at room temperature and becomes liquid around 76 degrees F. 

Olive Oil is made from olives and it best used for salad dressing and other NON-HEATED foods. While olive oil is very healthy it becomes less healthy when heated…. stick to the other fats for cooking!

It's hard to completely cut out white food. What I managed to do, with the help of Weight Watchers giving me the guidelines for exactly what each of those things represents in my daily intake, is get a firm grip on portion control. 

There was nothing more important when I changed the way I eat, than correcting how much of these things I eat. I still make meatballs and spaghetti, but now it's just a small amount of pasta to go with my typically lean meatballs and relatively low fat sauce. I still want a sandwich for lunch pretty much every day at work, but it's never on a big fat roll. When I ate my chicken and mushroom stew for dinner last night, it was over less than half a cup of white rice. When I found out how much a couple beers represented of my daily intake, I stopped drinking a couple beers for no reason other than they're in the fridge and I'm watching TV.  (Note: I didn't stop drinking, and still have a beer on the weekends when I'm out.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's hard to completely cut out white food. What I managed to do, with the help of Weight Watchers giving me the guidelines for exactly what each of those things represents in my daily intake, is get a firm grip on portion control. 

There was nothing more important when I changed the way I eat, than correcting how much of these things I eat. I still make meatballs and spaghetti, but now it's just a small amount of pasta to go with my typically lean meatballs and relatively low fat sauce. I still want a sandwich for lunch pretty much every day at work, but it's never on a big fat roll. When I ate my chicken and mushroom stew for dinner last night, it was over less than half a cup of white rice. When I found out how much a couple beers represented of my daily intake, I stopped drinking a couple beers for no reason other than they're in the fridge and I'm watching TV.  (Note: I didn't stop drinking, and still have a beer on the weekends when I'm out.)

It's not really that hard if you're cooking all of your meals.  I'm trying to get my husband to bring leftovers to work, but he won't budge (and he really needs to lose a few).  I have VERY little "white foods" in the house.  I don't even make white potatoes and there's no white rice or regular pasta.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

It's not really that hard if you're cooking all of your meals.

Fair enough. Let me say that sentence the way I meant to say it:

It's no fun to completely cut out white food. I mean, what about pizza?! And what kind of life doesn't have some noodles in my chicken soup? (And I get that I can use whole wheat pizza dough and ditto for the soup noodles, but it's noticeably not the same.) And I make roasted potatoes that are just yum. So for me white foods have been mostly replaced in my diet, but they're not gone. When I want to have them, I just control the amount.

I actually had a similar discussion with somebody yesterday about a weight watchers recipe that suggested using zucchini "noodles" in place of pasta. My thought on that was, BLECH. Just use a small portion of actual pasta and load up on the vegetables. My advice to her, as she is just starting the program, was don't completely deny yourself food you love to eat (I lost 80 pounds, and probably ate pizza once a week the entire time), but do learn how much is healthy and work hard to find new foods you love that don't require such strict portion controls.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's no fun to completely cut out white food. I mean, what about pizza?! And what kind of life doesn't have some noodles in my chicken soup? (And I get that I can use whole wheat pizza dough and ditto for the soup noodles, but it's noticeably not the same.) And I make roasted potatoes that are just yum. So for me white foods have been mostly replaced in my diet, but they're not gone. When I want to have them, I just control the amount.

I actually had a similar discussion with somebody yesterday about a weight watchers recipe that suggested using zucchini "noodles" in place of pasta. My thought on that was, BLECH. Just use a small portion of actual pasta and load up on the vegetables. My advice to her, as she is just starting the program, was don't completely deny yourself food you love to eat (I lost 80 pounds, and probably ate pizza once a week the entire time), but do learn how much is healthy and work hard to find new foods you love that don't require such strict portion controls.  

I guess it just depends on one's palate.  I have no issues with zucchini (or beet, squash, carrot, etc... noodles) nor do I have problems with cauliflower "rice" or pizza crust.  In fact, I PREFER them after trying them for the first time!  And I (personally) like sweet potatoes more than regular (I refuse to eat regular unless they're, say, latkes), anyway.  My husband doesn't mind the ancient grain sandwich/toast breads I buy (made mostly from Kamut and is lower in gluten) either.  I think the only time we eat white bread/white anything is when we are out or if we order take-out.  For me, when there's an option, I opt out of anything white.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's no fun to completely cut out white food. I mean, what about pizza?! And what kind of life doesn't have some noodles in my chicken soup?

I do 80/20.  On the weekend I have some white food.  It is usually bread or something sweet.  A plain donut covers both categories.  :)   I have been having a piece of cheesecake lately. 

• Love 3
On 1/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, DeLurker said:

My brother did pretty well for a while cutting carbs by just not eating what he called "white" food - potatoes, rice, bread and pasta basically.

That's pretty much what I am doing.  Trying to eat sensibly.  I also have cut out a huge amount of sugar I was consuming.  My motivation in all of this was it was close to my yearly blood work up and I am scared to death of getting Type 2 Diabetes.

I thought if I get diabetes I will be on pills or shots and lots of testing.  But if I can, on my own, cut down on the things bad for me it's a win, win.

So I was eating everything but the kitchen sink and that test came back a 5.7.  The highest is supposed to be 5.6.  So

I began.  I have lost about 13 lbs in the last say 6 weeks.  It didn't come on overnight and it won't go off overnight.  

I notice the Vegetable or Salad has become the star of my show.  Before it was just this or than and maybe not consumed.  Now it's something special.  I am pretty tired of Cauliflower.  I think I'll rest that for a while.

I bought some Cabbage and some Spaghetti Squash that I'm looking forward too. 

I do have Banana Nut Muffins and Chocolate Chip Squares in the freezer.  They are made with Banana or honey instead of sugar and Almond and Coconut Flour instead of white flour.  I use them wisely.

I too am watching portions.  Small amount of Deerfield Pasta under my homemade Meatballs instead of a plateful of Spaghetti and Garlic Bread.

I am not feeling deprived.  I feel full and satisfied.  I'm not craving sugar like I used to unless I happen to have a high carb something.  Then the craving returns.

I fixed Fish on Friday and made a Roasted Medley of Baby Carrots, Cubed Potato, Red Onion, garlic and seasoning.  I passed on the whate potatoes.  Not because I had to but it just wasn't for me at that time.  I know carrots are high carb but I think a better choice than potatoes.

Baby steps!

• Love 5

I personally had to go "all in" with the low carbs.  Once they were out of my system it was easy, but it was tough getting there and I didn't want to repeat that once a week or once a month.  Whatever works for an individual I always say.

• Love 3

I am bumping this up with today's lunch.

1 pouch/2.6 oz. Starkist chunk light tuna in water

lemon juice (1/6 lemon wedge)

13 grams (approx.) radish finely diced

33 grams (approx.) celery diced

1 can plain La Croix with lemon juice (1/6 wedge) and lots of ice

According to my calculations (math isn't my strong point), it was approximately:

78 calories, 5-6 grams fat, 0.86 grams net carbs, 18.15 grams protein for the tuna concoction.

For the lemon juice in the water, the USDA Food Data Base lists the following info for lemon juice from one wedge:

1 cal, 0.01 fat, 0.15 net carbs, 0.02 protein 

So, fairly negligible.  I did notice that vegetable broth is listed as an ingredient in the tuna pouch, so possibly some hidden carbs there.  I believe that, in the US, less than .5 carbs can be rounded down to zero.

I know I need (and want) to lose weight.  I've been trying to figure the best way for me to approach it.  Originally, I thought I would do Atkins, but induction seems like a starvation diet to me, and my current life is stressful enough without adding "keto flu" into the mix.  Atkins 40 might work.  I might just do CICO with a lower carb emphasis.  It's a work in progress!

Some other variations I've tried with the tuna pouches:

adding a splash of soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper

adding yogurt (instead of mayo)

adding cottage cheese (instead of mayo)

Future plans:

trying today's concoction, but adding some finely diced cucumber into the mix

adding some cilantro to the soy sauce, sesame oil concoction 

trying some avocado in place of mayo