Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: The Knockouts, Part 3

• Start Topic

Well, seeing as how this thread has been brought about, it's that time again.  Time to share your predictions as to how the final Knockouts will go, as well as what the final teams for the Lives will be.  Mine are below:

Team Adam

Only one pair left here, and I know Adam's not dumb enough to dump a four-chair-turn.  So I think Nolan will get through and Brendan will be eliminated unless he's Alicia's final steal.  Adam has a huge attachment to Nolan, being a four-chair-turn and a returnee with a possible "comeback kid" story, so I don't see him wanting to abandon him unless he really bombs, Brendan truly steps up his game, or both.

Final team for the Lives: Simone, Riley, Billy, Nolan, and Josh G.

Team Miley

A whopping three pairs left here, but since I doubt the show will feature three of a coach's pairings in one episode, one is going to get the dreaded montage.  With three pairs remaining, anyone could go against anyone.  Aaron has proven to be one of the strongest on Miley's team, so I think he's going through, for sure, regardless of his opponent.  I also don't think Miley will toss Darby.  So that leaves Sophia, Josette, Maye, and Josh H.  I imagine Josette will be toast, given that she's a one-chair-turn with a shown Blind (as she was the final member of Miley's team and the final successful Blind), but a montaged Battle.  Maye has that same problem.  Sophia and Josh H. were shown in the Blinds and Battles, though, so I think one of them will get through based on that much visibility and screentime.  Given that no one seems to be hanging on to any of their Battle steals lately, though, I might think Sophia has the edge since she was on Miley's team from the beginning, while Josh H. was stolen from Alicia.  So I think Sophia will go through and Josh H., if he isn't stolen back by Alicia, will go home.

Final team for the Lives: Ali, Darby, Aaron, Sophia, and Belle.

Team Alicia

Only one pair left here, and I'm actually interested in what she will do here.  Michael is this season's early surprise as the rare one-chair-turn to greatly slay a four-chair-turn.  But he's up against Sa'Rayah, a two-chair-turn with great vocal power and control.  I think Alicia could go either way on these two.  I want to give the edge here to Sa'Rayah, but Alicia might figure she's got a big-voiced belter already in the form of Wé, and she thus won't need Sa'Rayah.  Plus, I think she finds Michael to be someone with more potential to surprise than Sa'Rayah does.  So I think Michael goes through and Sa'Rayah goes home, since no other coach can use a steal.  As for her steal, I think Alicia should, and probably will, go for whomever loses between Nolan and Brendan, steal Josh H. back from Miley, or go for one of the other Knockout losers from her team.  I don't see her going for any of Blake's losers.  Sadly, not even Dana, because again, she has Wé.

Final team for the Lives: Kylie, Wé, Christian, Michael, and whomever she steals.

Team Blake

Two pairs left here, and if I hadn't caught the promo of this during the credits of Days of our Lives yesterday, I'd be totally in the dark as to how they'll be matched up.  But luckily, I saw Karlee on stage singing with Dana sitting in the corner, telling me that Blake's putting the girls and guys against each other.  Of the two, I'd give Karlee the edge for having her Blind and Battle shown, while Dana just had her Blind shown, while her Battle with Tarra was montaged.  However, I'll return to my point about Battle steals not being kept around this season.  I think Blake will easily sacrifice Karlee and keep Dana, who has a stronger voice.  However, that is risky, as she might split votes with Courtney as another big-voiced woman.  That leaves Austin and Gabe, and I really don't know what he'll do here.  I think Austin should have the edge, as he has more experience than Gabe and really will give his team more overall strength.  But there's also a chance he'll see Gabe as moldable, being younger and more inexperienced.  I mentioned before that he might see Gabe as his new Jake Worthington and want to carry him along in the same manner, even though Gabe has a bit more talent than Jake, albeit none of the charm or likability that the voters must've seen in Jake.  So I'll lean just barely toward Gabe, even though I really think Austin will give Blake a stronger chance of winning this season.

Final team for the Lives: Sundance, Courtney, Dana, Gabe, and Jason.

So those are my predictions.  I'll just check in throughout the weekend for all of yours, if you wanna offer up any before Monday.;)

Edited by Michel
  • Love 4

The Michael vs. Sa'Rayah battle is up on YouTube

Spoiler

and they both are really good.  I really don't know which way Alicia will go.  I guess I'd give a slight edge to Michael because he continues to be a welcome surprise, while there are already several other singers similar to Sa'Rayah in the competition.  But its a pity that one of these two will be eliminated given that much weaker singers have already made it into the next round.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Michel said:

Michael is this season's early surprise as the rare one-chair-turn to greatly slay a four-chair-turn.  But he's up against Sa'Rayah, a two-chair-turn with great vocal power and control.  I think Alicia could go either way on these two.

I think Alicia has a soft spot for Michael, because like her, he's a pianist as well as a singer. That added element can make him stand-out during the lives, while SaRayah would be only one of several big voiced women r&b singers. So for the sake of having something different on her team, and for bringing some variety to the show, I think (hope) she will pick Michael.

• Love 5

Michel, thanks for your post. I love to game out what happens at this stage..

I think you are spot on with Team Adam. There's almost no chance he'll drop Nolan, despite Brendan being the vastly more marketable singer post-Voice. I think with a good performance Brendan has a shot at Alicia's steal. She was definitely feeling him after his blind audition.

It feels like the "obvious" thing for Miley to do is pair up Aaron and Josh, Darby and Maye, and Sophia and Josette. Except I'd rank Sophia and Josette third and fourth out of the four females left, so I kind of hope it's Maye and Sophia and Darby and Josette with Maye and Darby winning. Doubt that will happen though. I'll say she advances Aaron, Darby and Sophia. I suppose there's a small chance that Josette (if her's isn't the one montaged KO) could be seen as a young singer like a Shalyah, or Yvonne or even going all the way back to a Xenia that would tempt Alicia for a steal. Because growth arc, or something. Josh on a steal back is another definite possibility.

After watching the leaked youtube clip, I'm leaning Michael from Team Alicia. It just feels like their is only one of him and about 3 or 4 other "Sa'Rayah" type singers left so her elimination wouldn't hurt quite as much.

As for Blake, before Dana got her blind montaged, I would've said Blake is taking her to the lives for sure. Karlee is country-adjacent which helps her cause....so much that I think this might be one of Blake's inexplicable decisions a la Courtney over Ethan. I'm praying he goes with Austin over Gabe, but wouldn't put it past him to take Gabe (much like Adam's taken Riley) into lives. IMO Blake (if he still is actually playing to win which is an open question at this point) will see serious Craig Wayne Boyd potential in Austin and that will make the difference.

I have no information whatsoever on whether bring backs are happening yet.....but I do think if they are a thing this year. Ethan has to be at the top of the list. I could see someone bringing the sisters back. Andrew DeMuro kind of got hosed on Team Adam so he'd be another person I wouldn't be surprised at. Lauren Diaz or Courtnie from Team Miley/Alicia also have to be in the mix...since they went for all guys last season, if it happens this season I think it will be at the very least gender balanced or possibly skew female 3 to 1 (or 4 to 1 if the sisters are involved).

• Love 4

Team Adam - I'm not sure on this one.  I think Brendan is more marketable but Nolan is a four chair turn.  The loser could be an Alicia steal.

Team Miley - I think it's going to be Aaron vs. Josh with Aaron winning.  Alicia could steal Josh back.   Darby vs. Maye with Darby winning.  Sophia vs. Josette with Sophia winning.  I remember Josette's blind was shown but I don't remember her.

Team Alica - I think she will pick Michael.  Both of them did well in the Knockouts.  Michael is different from other contestants.  Alicia already has We.  Also, Miley has Ali, Adam has Simone, and Blake has Courtney.  Sa'Rayah fits in that lane.  Her steal will either be the loser of Nolan vs. Brendan or she will steal Josh H. back.

Team Blake - I think it will be Dana vs. Karlee with Dana winning since Blake usually keeps his original team.  Austin vs. Gabe is a toss-up.  I think Austin has more experience and is ready to perform but Blake likes to groom young artists.  He can see potential in Gabe just like Jake Worthington.

• Love 2

Ugh!  Michael should have been kept or stolen.  His performance was a blast and the judges obviously felt it too.  They kept saying their focus was on his look vs. his sound but they were having such a great time, they knew he sounded great, period. I think he would be really popular in the lives.  If they bring him back and he performs with that much joy, he could win.  In the meantime, it was hard to enjoy the rest of the show, knowing that a less worthy steal was coming.

Edited by Latsmile
  • Love 11

I'm not surprised to see Gabe go. He was too young for this level of competition, regardless of his vocal abilities, and basically caved under the pressure. But I still would have chosen him over Austin, who I thought gave an incredibly smarmy performance, all teeth and eyebrows and hat.  I don't like his voice, but I really didn't like his stage presence. He may be a perfectly nice man in real life, but on stage he came across as the kind of over-bearing guy you meet in a bar who is much too full of himself and  won't take no for an answer.  Alicia called his performance "aggressive" and I agreed.

Edited by Ketzel

You haven't listened to aggressive twang until you've heard some Justin Moore played on current country radio. That's who Austin reminds me of when he cranks it up to 10 and really lets it go. I enjoyed his Tom Petty song choice though. And if teeth bother you, may I direct you back to Sa'Rayah and Aaaron's battle where Sa'Rayah attempted to show Aaron the back of her throat and tonsils, her mouth was so incredibly wide open at points in that song.

It feels like it isn't a season without a steal back now, and really playing along with the editing......if I was Alicia trying to pick a steal purely based on the losing singers tonight (with a caveat that she couldn't steal Michael because rules, and we didn't hear a note of what Josette sang)....I thing taking Josh back was a better option than Maye, Nolan (who was depressingly shaky for the first 30 seconds of his song), Gabe, or Karlee. Both of Blake's losing singers had no shot....they were probably the worst two performances of the night.

The breakdown of the Top 20 is interesting. You've got a ton of R&B wailers in Sa'Rayah, We, Courtney, Simone, Ali, Sophia and Jason. Dana's adjacent to this category cause she brings a smokier tone to the party instead of the massive voices the rest have. (8)

Then you've got the bluesy folks which would include Aaron, Josh, Kylie, Austin, and Sundance on the non-country to country spectrum. (5)

You've got two quirky indie females in Belle (doing her PMJ inspired thing) and Darby (doing her Florence or Ryn Weaver inspired thing)

Two middle of the road modern pop guys in Billy and Christian

One lone Indie-rock WGWG, in Brendan

One lone modern country singer in the other Josh. Not a single female country singer got out of the battles. How crazy is that?

And finally, one out-of-his-depth, high school crooner in Riley.

Yay???

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

I was actually glad Blake chose Austin over Gabe. Austin so far hasn't stood out to me, but Gabe hit a lot of clunkers tonight. He got pretty far for 15 and should feel proud of all the praise, but by the time they get to lives, I think most 15 year olds are just there as gimmicks. Plus, rightly or wrongly, I like to see people who are seriously pursuing careers advance to lives.I was glad, if a little surprised, that Adam chose Brendan over Nolan. The show could use more of the rock genre, but Nolan just felt a little contrived to me. I enjoyed Brendan's voice and I think Adam also felt his looks would work in the competition going forward (he IS very competitive after all).

I had great hopes for Michael, but was disappointed. Other than the chance to enjoy someone on keyboard, I was disappointed by his performance. There just wasn't anything original or fresh about it. So I thought Alicia made the right choice, although it's funny how all the teams seem weaker after the knockouts than you would have expected going in.

I would have saved Karlie over Dana, however. But neither will be much of a threat on Team Blake.

• Love 4

Final team rosters/cheat sheets heading into the Lives:

Team Adam
Simone Gundy (defeated Dave Moisan)
Riley Elmore (defeated Jason Warrior)
Billy Gilman (defeated Ponciano Seoane)
Brendan Fletcher (defeated Nolan Neal)
Josh Gallagher (stolen from Team Blake)

Team Miley
Ali Caldwell (defeated Lauren Diaz)
Darby Walker (defeated Maye Thomas)
Sophia Urista (defeated Josette Diaz)*
Aaron Gibson (defeated Josh Halverson)

Belle Jewel (stolen from Team Alicia)

Team Alicia
Kylie Rothfield (defeated Whitney & Shannon)
Wé McDonald (defeated Courtnie Ramirez)
Christian Cuevas (defeated Belle Jewel)
Sa'Rayah (defeated Michael Sanchez)
Josh Halverson (stolen from Team Miley)

Team Blake
Sundance Head (defeated Josh Gallagher)
Courtney Harrell (defeated Bindi Liebowitz)
Austin Allsup (defeated Gabe Broussard)
Dana Harper (defeated Karlee Metzger)

Jason Warrior (stolen from Team Adam)

Names in bold indicate artists who have newly performed and stayed on their teams or been stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Knockout was montaged.

• Love 5

Before I start with the matchup analyses, I just wanna say how I love looking at "the little things."  In this case, does anyone else enjoy when, during a Knockout performance, the camera occasionally cuts to the reaction shot of the opponent waiting in the corner?  It's always a fun study to see who's enjoying his or her opponent's performance (for example, Kimberly Nichole mouthing the words to "Try" while Koryn Hawthorne was singing it in season eight, Siahna Im bopping to Mark Hood's "Stand by Me" performance in season nine, and Nolan just tonight mouthing the words to "Soulshine" while Brendan was singing), who's just waiting for his or her opponent to finish (for example, Treeva Gibson just trying to wait for Rob Taylor to finish his "Love and Happiness" performance in season eight, and many of the artists this season), and who's looking scared shitless at their prospects of winning (for example, Joe Tolo's total "I'm screwed" look as he listened to India Carney's "Big, White Room" performance in season eight).  No?  It's just I?  Well, okay, then. . . .

Now for the matchups:

Austin vs. Gabe: The first of my predictions that was wrong, but I'm glad it was.  No question Austin won this one.  His voice was strong and focused the whole way through, and he attacked that performance with all he had.  He definitely looks like he'll give Blake's team some strength going forward.  Gabe actually did a better job than I expected, but Austin still outshined him.  Good, because I was afraid that Blake would make him Jake Worthington 2.0.  Glad that didn't happen.

Darby vs. Maye: I predicted that this would go down like it did, but this is one prediction that I think I wish had been wrong.  I like Darby.  I really do.  But I think I'd have given Maye the win here.  Not only did I like her voice and tone a lot more, but she actually worked the stage in a way that Darby didn't.  Darby works the stage, too, but her movements are a bit too on the quirky side for me.  Also, Darby's pronunciations were sometimes hard to understand, while I understood Maye completely.  That said, Darby was shown in her Blind and Battle, while Maye was shown in her Blind, but montaged through her Battle.  I kinda knew that, in terns of visibility, Darby would win out.  Also, Miley loves her a lot, so there was no chance that she was letting her go.

Brendan vs. Nolan: Gotta say, this is another prediction that I'm glad was wrong.  Adam surprised me here, because I really thought he was going to hold onto both of his four-chair-turns.  While I do think that Nolan had more power and control, I agreed with Adam (something I don't say often) that Brendan sold the vulnerability of his song.  But if there's a Comeback twist this season, you can bet that Nolan is likely at the top of Adam's list.  As for Brendan, all that's left to do is see how America's feeling him.  If they're not feeling him enough, he could be out at the Lives.

Michael vs. Sa'Rayah: Another wrong prediction, but I honestly don't think that Alicia could've wrong with either choice.  Michael was a surprise in the Battle round and could've brought a uniqueness to the Lives that no one else had.  But there is something to be said for Sa'Rayah's sheer vocal power and control and her ability to sell a song.  I think that that was what sold Alicia on her.  Sad to see Michael go, though.  I'd say that I hope that Alicia didn't screw her chances by eliminating him, but I think she's pinning her hopes on Wé, Christian, and Kylie as her horses, anyway, so perhaps she doesn't see Michael as a big loss.

Dana vs. Karlee: I thought Karlee started off well, and for the first full minute of her performance, I might've chosen her since she at least kept me engaged and interested the whole time.  Then, the last fifteen to thirty seconds came around, and it was just time to hand it to Dana.  She kept control of her voice and performance and never faltered, unlike Karlee in the last part of her performance.  So she earned that win.

Aaron vs. Josh: I would definitely say that Aaron won that.  It was a risk going outside of his comfort zone and doing a country song, but it paid off enormously.  Josh did well, too, but not nearly as well as Aaron.  I think the steal was deserved, especially compared with the other Knockout losers of tonight.  I don't think he'll make it past the Live Playoffs, though.  But anything can happen.

Montage:

Ah, poor Josette.  Her Voice journey goes the opposite way of Belle's.  Belle was montaged through her Blind and her (winning) Battle, and is then only shown in her (losing) Knockout.  And even then, she's only shown because she got Miley's steal.  I think she'd have gotten the Rebekah Samarin/Katherine Ho treatment and been montaged all three rounds if she hadn't gotten Miley's steal.  Anyway, Josette had the opposite showing -- shown in her Blind, but montaged through her (winning) Battle and her (losing) Knockout.  But having heard her voice in her Blind, I don't think there was any way she was going to beat Sophia.  That woman's rock voice was something else, for sure, from what I heard in that song.  But I think the editors should at least show ten to twenty seconds of the loser's Knockout as well as the winner's just to make it fair.

The pre-taped shows are finally over.  On to the Lives next week!

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, filmfan2480 said:

Was there a match-up that wasnt shown?? I feel like they didnt show that rocker girl with the mohawk type hair. ??

They showed about fifteen to twenty seconds of Sophia, but not her opponent, Josette.

• Love 1

http://tvline.com/2016/10/31/the-voice-live-voting-top-12-results-revealed-real-time/

For those holding out hope that Ethan, or Michael or any number of the fallen (I'll pour one out for you Khaliya) could get a reprieve, it does not appear we are getting any bring backs this season. Because we have to Make America Great Again next Tuesday.

So, apparently all twenty singers will be in full on, Fast and Furious mode next Monday night over the course of two hours, and then I guess we'll find out the results on Wednesday...

There's also some new real time (time zones be damned) voting that will be happening on Monday too.

Snap judgements then:

Team Adam: Billy and Brendan pull the votes, with Josh as a possible spoiler due to the overall dearth of country singers this season. I have a horrible, horrible suspicion that will leave Adam the opportunity to save Riley.

Team Alicia: I'll say We and Christian pull the votes, leaving Alicia with a brutal choice between Sa'Rayah and Kylie

Team Blake: Revenge of the underrepresented country bloc this season so Austin and Sundance will be easily voted through. I'd like Blake to pick Dana as his save, but I think he really has a soft spot for Courtney so he goes in her direction.

Team Miley: The most convoluted team. Singers like Belle and Darby tend to struggle in this round.....I'd be more apt to say Ali and Aaron get the votes. Then Miley saves either Belle or Darby (probably Darby) for the uniqueness factor. My lack of enthusiasm towards Sophia (the entire body of her work) probably is biasing that decision a little bit though.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

I absolutely love both Aaron Gibson and Josh Halverson (their studio recordings are a thing of beauty), so I'm so glad both are making lives. Great voices. I do find it amusing that this season there are so many non-country singers choosing to sing country songs for their knock-out songs. 

I liked both Darby and Maye, so that was a tough choice. A pity one of them has to go.

Miley has the strongest team going into lives and Adam with the weakest team. That's interesting because Blake had the worst team coming into the Battles and knock-outs. I guess Adam squandered a lot of his good contestants and stole the mediocre ones (Josh G, really?).

I like Micheal's voice and his performance during battles was amazing but this was a bit loungy, so I understood why Alicia went with Sa'Rayah.

Both Brendan and Nolan bored me. Good voices but they didn't do interesting with it or their song choices. Generic alternative singers.

• Love 1

No real standouts but I enjoyed a few performances in this episode: Brendan, Austin, Dana, Josh.  I want to like Aaron more because I like the grit in his voice but he does a little too much with some of his lines and it's distracting.  

Darby's performance annoyed me.  I don't like it when these indie artists put on a British accent.  In this performance, she was basically imitating Florence and the Machine.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

http://tvline.com/2016/10/31/the-voice-live-voting-top-12-results-revealed-real-time/

For those holding out hope that Ethan, or Michael or any number of the fallen (I'll pour one out for you Khaliya) could get a reprieve, it does not appear we are getting any bring backs this season. Because we have to Make America Great Again next Tuesday.

So, apparently all twenty singers will be in full on, Fast and Furious mode next Monday night over the course of two hours, and then I guess we'll find out the results on Wednesday...

There's also some new real time (time zones be damned) voting that will be happening on Monday too.

Wow, the live playoffs seem like a really fast-paced episode.  The good thing is that means less fluff.  But I don't know how I feel about the real-time voting...it sounds like a Twitter save/App voting done as the show is airing and then the results are revealed in the same episode? 

3 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Team Adam: Billy and Brendan pull the votes, with Josh as a possible spoiler due to the overall dearth of country singers this season. I have a horrible, horrible suspicion that will leave Adam the opportunity to save Riley.

Team Alicia: I'll say We and Christian pull the votes, leaving Alicia with a brutal choice between Sa'Rayah and Kylie

Team Blake: Revenge of the underrepresented country bloc this season so Austin and Sundance will be easily voted through. I'd like Blake to pick Dana as his save, but I think he really has a soft spot for Courtney so he goes in her direction.

Team Miley: The most convoluted team. Singers like Belle and Darby tend to struggle in this round.....I'd be more apt to say Ali and Aaron get the votes. Then Miley saves either Belle or Darby (probably Darby) for the uniqueness factor. My lack of enthusiasm towards Sophia (the entire body of her work) probably is biasing that decision a little bit though.

I don't know if I would say country is underrepresented.  To go into the live shows with 3 country contestants seems pretty standard.  Blake usually brings 2 or 3, then sometimes there's 1 from another team (in this case, Adam's team).  

This season is definitely heavy on the black female R&B/soul category.  I guess we'll see how that goes.  There usually is a ceiling that comes with black artists around Top 4-6.  Probably a reflection of the voting demographics of this show. 

1 hour ago, Noreaster said:

There usually is a ceiling that comes with black artists around Top 4-6.  Probably a reflection of the voting demographics of this show. 

Though seasons 1 and 2 had black winners, interestingly.  

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Though seasons 1 and 2 had black winners, interestingly.  

That's true, but the voting format was so different in those early seasons.  Each team was required to advance the same number of contestants each week.  There were also coach saves and even that weird week in season 2 where each coach had to instantly eliminate someone.

It was only starting season 3 when the show shifted to 100% public voting in the live shows and there were no team quotas.  Since then, we haven't seen any black contestant place better than 4th.  (The exception is the winner of season 5, Tessanne Chin, who was mixed.)

Edited by Noreaster

There was also a different viewer demographic in the first few seasons. The voice was marketed as a more urban, edgier American Idol and had viewers like that. I don't recall any Country performers in the first few seasons. 

Edited by mangosplums

So after tonight the show is pretty much over for me. Michael was my reason for watching. I was so hoping he would stick around and do a Blood Sweat & Tears song(his voice reminds me so much of the lead singer of that band). Faith & Tim were so damn boring. Hopefully they don't show up again. 

• Love 1

Just a small thing, but Blake's memory for Austin impressed me. Played with him--probably for a night or two--ten years ago at Billy Bob's. I'm sure Austin looked very different back in 2006 and Blake has performed with so many people and so many places and seen so many people...just seems impressive for him to remember Austin (kind of a generic county guy) after all these years.  (I -did- like that he saved a guy who's paid his dues and has been struggling in music for over ten years over a fifteen year old. In a way, no surprise there, but Gabe did well with a cool experience.)

I guess my taste is a little odd because most of the time, when someone plays an instrument I'd like them to do without the predictable accompaniment. That was the case with Austin--the heavy drums etc. just didn't do it for me. Maybe at a certain point, you've just heard something too often, stylistically and its hard to listen as if its fresh.  (Same was true with Gabe's backing, but he didn't have a choice).

• Love 2

I figure production preps the coaches on facts like that.  They never don't remember someone, even if it was a 'last season no chair turn'.  

Josh vs. Aaron was by a milllion miles the best,  in my humble opinion, battle/knockout of any season I've seen. No bullshit screeching. Pure, honest grit and perfection. Gave me hope for shows like this. 

• Love 4

Voice highlights so far for iTunes:
15 Billy Gilman - When We Were Young (The Voice Performance) ADAM

51 Christian Cuevas & Jason Warrior - Hello 
ALICIA. BLAKE after 2 steals.
72 Aaron Gibson & Sa'Rayah - I’ll Take Care of You
MILEY. ALICIA after steal.
76 Josh Halverson & Kylie Rothfield - House of the Rising Sun (The Voice Performance)
ALICIA. ALICIA.
92  Andrew DeMuro & Billy Gilman - Man In the Mirror 
ADAM (II)

19 Josh Halverson - Whiskey and You ALICIA (II)
43 Sundance Head - The Climb BLAKE
44 Billy Gilman - Fight Song - ADAM (III)
70 Wé McDonald - No More Drama ALICIA
75 Brendan Fletcher - Soulshine ADAM
87 Christian Cuevas - Superstar - ALICIA (II)

Based on results so far: Alicia has 5 possible contenders inc 1 steal.
Miley has 1...don't think Aaron vs. Josh was smart. Blake has 2 inc 1 steal. Adam has 2.

Edited by jjjmoss
8 hours ago, limecoke said:

So disappointed Michael got chumped.  Yes, Sa'Rayah is terrific but she's not my favorite of the female R & B singers as I believe Dana is better, smoother and not so yelly.   Sad.

Sa'Rayah strutted and preened around the stage, and it was a flashy performance if you like that kind of thing. But Michael is such a talented musician, and different from anyone else on the show this year, while Sa'Rayah joins a squadron of big voiced R&B belters that mostly run together in my mind.

I do agree that it was a not a good song choice for Michael. Too smooth, and smooth does not impress this group of judges. Loud and aggressive is what works. Even his piano playing on "The Two of Us" was too smooth. I know that he can pound out some funky stuff on the keys that would've gotten everyone excited (Yes, it's "The Voice," but you have to use all the weapons you have. Which is exactly what Sa'Rayah was doing with her outfit and body language).

I feel sorry for Michael, because I think he had a lot more to show. And he seemed like a very genuine, nice guy. While Sa'Rayah was singing he was bopping along with a big grin, showing real appreciation, not the frozen smile we often get. In my experience, real musicians usually have a generous spirit.

I was surprised but glad that Adam chose Brendan over Nolan. Did you catch his WTF expression when Adam said Brendan's name? I got a very entitled vibe from Nolan, that after the four chair turn he thought he was a shoo-in to go far.  I wasn't a fan of his overly emotive singing, or on a shallow level, his long hipster beard.

The battle of the quirky "indie" singers, Darby and Maye (even the names are indie/quirky) was a snooze for me. Don't like that style of song or singing. But I knew going in that Miley was going to pick Darby. Given her own background, I'm sure she likes the idea of having a teenage protégé. And probably because of her age, Darby seems like a more impressionable type than Maye.

With Michael gone, the season just got a lot less interesting to me. Maybe Kylie or Belle can throw us a curveball, but otherwise it all seems too much of the same kind of music and too predictable. Funny how when Christina was coaching she took a lot of heat for stocking her team with big voiced, pedal-to-the-metal singers in her own image. But she's not around, and we have more of them in one season then I can ever remember.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ArmoPrincess said:

Why didn't they show Sophie Urista's performance?

There were seven pairs remaining, but they could only show six.  So they put Sophia in the one Knockout montage.

Also, apparently, though we didn't see her, Josette's song was "Eternal Flame."  It is revealed to be as such in the description in this video: 

Honestly, if that was her song choice, no wonder Sophia won.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, mangosplums said:

There was also a different viewer demographic in the first few seasons. The voice was marketed as a more urban, edgier American Idol and had viewers like that. I don't recall any Country performers in the first few seasons. 

I remember a few country contestants, but Blake didn't take them that far.  RaeLynn was one.  

I don't know about urban and edgy, but I think the show was different back then.  It was largely about professionals getting a second chance.  Now it's more amateurs and more pop and country-focused.  Less indie and rock stuff.  

14 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I figure production preps the coaches on facts like that.  They never don't remember someone, even if it was a 'last season no chair turn'.  

Yeah, I am pretty cynical nowadays and think the coaches are fed a lot of things.  Though this season, I think Adam didn't recognize Nolan Neal in the blinds.

Edited by Noreaster

I really liked Michael but agree that his performance was lounge-y. He needed to pick a song that clearly could not be mistaken for a cruise ship act, and "Just the Two of Us" was not it. I do think he could potentially have blown us away with a grittier, not-so-sweet song choice. Something that did not scream "I play piano in restaurants for a living." Oh well.

I like Brendan but he needs to get rid of the guitar to get my vote. As do about 90% of contestants, who seem to rely on them as crutches.

There is nothing more boring to me as a viewer (and potential paying customer) than watching a singer channel a good deal of their energy into their guitar (and usually while standing fairly statue-like). I can tolerate that for, oh, 10 minutes, and then I'm done. Watching Brendan sing to his guitar, or to his inner self, or both, instead of to me was not pleasant. In my opinion, very few of these contestants, whether on this show or American Idol, are able to really engage with an audience when using their guitars.

By contrast, watch Keith Urban. The man works the stage and makes eye contact with the audience, and his guitar becomes simply another extension of his passion, exuberance, or whatever feeling he's trying to convey. That's the way it's done.

This season on The Voice, I think Kylie (is that her name? the soulful jazzy singer?) is the only one who's done a really good job of using her guitar as part of her performance and still keeping me engaged.

Laith Al-Saidi made his guitar playing a huge part of his act, and it took him to the final three. I think that Michael could've done the same thing with the piano, if he'd picked the right songs. "The Two of Us," especially in that arrangement, wasn't it. (If you look at his website, he has a lot of versatility. But sometimes artists aren't the best judges of their own material).

What was up with Miley not saving Michael, after she'd just said she was obsessed with him? I know that the order we see the battles is not necessarily the order in which they were taped. It seems to me there's producer manipulation as far as which singers get stolen. It's as if Miley didn't save Michael because she knew Aaron was going to be available for a steal. But if Aaron had won that knockout, would she have then had to steal Josh? Or was Josh's win predetermined?

All I know is that week after week the show always ends with a steal, completely killing any possible suspense.

And am I my mistaken, or didn't Aaron "defeat" Josh Halverson in the battle round? Which would make it seem weird that they were again matched up in the knockouts. Has that happened before?

Edited by bluepiano
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

What was up with Miley not saving Michael, after she'd just said she was obsessed with him? I know that the order we see the battles is not necessarily the order in which they were taped. It seems to me there's producer manipulation as far as which singers get stolen. It's as if Miley didn't save Michael because she knew Aaron was going to be available for a steal. But if Aaron had won that knockout, would she have then had to steal Josh? Or was Josh's win predetermined?

All I know is that week after week the show always ends with a steal, completely killing any possible suspense.

And am I my mistaken, or didn't Aaron "defeat" Josh Halverson in the battle round? Which would make it seem weird that they were again matched up in the knockouts. Has that happened before?

I don't think Miley had a steal left when Michael was available.  She already stole Belle. 

In the battle round, Josh H. was in Alicia's team.  Kylie defeated him.  Miley stole Josh H.  Aaron was always in Miley's team.  He defeated Sa-Rayah and Alicia stole her.

In knockouts, Aaron defeated Josh H.   Alicia stole Josh H. back.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I don't think Miley had a steal left when Michael was available.  She already stole Belle. 

In the battle round, Josh H. was in Alicia's team.  Kylie defeated him.  Miley stole Josh H.  Aaron was always in Miley's team.  He defeated Sa-Rayah and Alicia stole her.

In knockouts, Aaron defeated Josh H.   Alicia stole Josh H. back.

So apparently I got everything wrong. Aaron won that last battle, it was Josh who got stolen, and the steal was by Alicia, not Miley. In my defense, my DVR recording cut out early for some reason. Maybe I was assuming Josh won, because of how crazy the judges and audience were reacting?

27 minutes ago, Michel said:

Uh . . . no.  Laith got to F4, not F3.

Funny, I was originally going to write that he made it into the Top 5, but my memory was that he was third. Well, third or fourth, my point was that his guitar playing was a huge factor in his success.

This year there's Kylie with an electric guitar, but the focus has been much more on her singing, which is what you'd expect. Laith was really an exception that I don't expect to see again. Adam understood that the guitar was an integral part of his musical style, and the whole blues persona, and that he'd been performing that way for years.  (I saw him play in a bar in Michigan in the mid '90s). Some singers get told that they're using the guitar as a crutch, but with Laith it was totally at the core of who he was.

Edited by bluepiano

Now that the taped shows are over, here are my notes to the showrunners:

**Stop telling us what every performer thought when they saw the mentors.  Yeah, we all know they just looooove them and have grown up listening to their records.  (Just once I'd like to hear "I didn't know who Faith Hill and Tim McGraw were until someone told me, and I couldn't even name one of their songs.") If you take the mentor-gushing out of the Battles and Knockouts, there'd be time NOT to montage someone!!  And we're really supposed to believe that the word doesn't get out, and each singer is really and truly surprised to see who is mentoring?

**It's not as exciting as you think it is when the steal doesn't happen til the last pairing of the episode.  It's not drama, or suspense, or a way to retain the viewer.  We all freaking know what's going to happen. 

• Love 4

Oh god, so true.  Maybe the first few seasons it was fun to hear a few, "OMG, (guest mentor)!  I love him/her!"  But now it's just so dull and phony.  Every.  Single.  Contestant.  And they definitely know who's there before they walk out.  No way they ALL know the singer beforehand.  Maybe they all know of Bette Midler, but Tim and Faith and some of these others?  No way.  I wouldn't have been able to pick Tim and Faith out of a lineup before this week.  And probably not next week.  

14 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Stop telling us what every performer thought when they saw the mentors.  Yeah, we all know they just looooove them and have grown up listening to their records.  (Just once I'd like to hear "I didn't know who Faith Hill and Tim McGraw were until someone told me, and I couldn't even name one of their songs.")

Ha. Love this comment, as I always think the same thing. Especially when it's a singer from a completely different genre than the mentors. There's probably some element of, gee, there's a big name, successful person, but if you're an r&b singer, are you really that bowled over to meet Faith Hill and Tim McGraw?

Well, at least they still have thriving careers. What about the likes of Sammy Hagar and Joan Jett? Especially for younger contestants who probably had to be told who they were. (And if it was me, I wouldn't have known who Charlie Puth was).

It may be even worse on the cooking competition shows. The guest judge is a guy who  had come in third on Top Chef, or some actor/actress on a sit com, and the contestants practically faint with the (faked) excitement.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

The show put up a video explaining how the playoffs voting will work.  It sounds like after each team performs, the show will open up the voting window for that team.  Viewers can vote using The Voice app (up to 10 votes per contestant) or by retweeting the NBC tweets for the contestants.  The voting results will be revealed in the same episode.  

I'm interested to see how this all plays out.  It's basically a few supersized Twitter saves within the episode.  I don't use Twitter so I just downloaded The Voice app to vote that night.  For each team, the public vote will advance 2 contestants while the coach will save 1.  

http://www.nbcuniversal.com/press-release/‘-voice’-makes-history-first real-time-voting-and-real-time-results live-playoff-show

Edited by Noreaster

No worries! We'll just vote blind for our favorites anyway?

There really ought to be some kind of iTunes save; if you make it high on the charts where people have voted with real money, you get a second chance, but maybe making it high on iTunes is its own reward.

Edited by Gel

The logistics of this performance/voting/results episode are ridiculous.  So, 20 contestants are going to perform, America is going to vote, and eight eliminations are all going to be announced in a much less than two hour time period (allowing for commercials)?  I guess it's possible if only the coach for the team competing at the time gets to speak.  Personally, I think this could be a disaster.  Thumbs down from me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I don't think this is a good idea.  Voters on the West Coast are left out.  Even if they can tweet or get the app, they won't see the show until it's over.

Yep, it seems just like the twitter saves during the regular results show.  Unfortunately, the West Coast (and I think the Mountain time zone) won't be able to see the performances before voting.