Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Someone Like Me as a Member

12 minutes ago, secnarf said:

What's this about law school?

I'm confused.

I'm 90% sure what happened there was that that poster planned to respond to someone in the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend thread, quoting them, then decided against it, but the quote stayed in their reply box. It's a pretty common bug on the site.

• Love 1

Oh darn, so sorry.  I'm not sure how that happened except that I had two tabs open with this thread and the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend thread.  I'm not sure how clicking reply with quote ended up posting it to the wrong thread.  I will go and see if I can edit my post.  Apologies for my faux pas.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, azathoth said:

I wonder if Janet is gaining human emotions as a result of her gradual reboot. If the hug from Jason results in her having feelings for him, it could be trouble for Tahani if she tries to out him.

Eleanor had steps the whole time but couldn't use them because of the hidden button? I'm surprised she didn't go off on that. Her flashbacks intrigued me, I wonder why she was always so intent on isolating herself.

The steps - that really made me laugh (well, the whole show does that) - anyway, my theory is that Real Eleanor knew right away the button was there because the house was really meant for her - so - it is sort of her dream house. 

I would love to know what would be Our Eleanor would like for a house. 

• Love 1

I so love everyone and everything about this show. So much I found myself saying what the fork at work the other day.

Still love the facial expressions Jason makes, he is funny without talking. 

I too am bummed it does not come back until January!

• Love 3

Man I am really confused.

Why is the show on hiatus until January with only 3 -4? - epis to go?

No football on regular tv and hey are running two epis of Superstore instead of one Superstore and one The Good Place.  Don't get me wrong, I like Superstore, but I LOVE THE GOOD PLACE.

So does this all mean that the show is in trouble????????????????????

48 minutes ago, kaygeeret said:

Man I am really confused.

Why is the show on hiatus until January with only 3 -4? - epis to go?

No football on regular tv and hey are running two epis of Superstore instead of one Superstore and one The Good Place.  Don't get me wrong, I like Superstore, but I LOVE THE GOOD PLACE.

So does this all mean that the show is in trouble????????????????????

From earlier on in the thread:

On 2016-11-04 at 0:41 AM, GaT said:

Why is this show off until January? 2 months from now I won't remember anything.

On 2016-11-04 at 8:51 AM, Kip Hackman said:

Thursday Night Football on NBC.

15 hours ago, LazyToaster said:
On 11/4/2016 at 0:13 PM, azathoth said:

I wonder if Janet is gaining human emotions as a result of her gradual reboot. If the hug from Jason results in her having feelings for him, it could be trouble for Tahani if she tries to out him.

Eleanor had steps the whole time but couldn't use them because of the hidden button? I'm surprised she didn't go off on that. Her flashbacks intrigued me, I wonder why she was always so intent on isolating herself.

The steps - that really made me laugh (well, the whole show does that) - anyway, my theory is that Real Eleanor knew right away the button was there because the house was really meant for her - so - it is sort of her dream house. 

She knew the style of architecture as soon as she saw the house, so she knew the details, including the hidden stairs.

I don't understand the sleeping arrangements.  I think Chidi said he was staying with blonde Eleanor to help teach her, so does that mean there is a guest room?  And now that brunette Eleanor is there, does she get to sleep in the bed that was intended for her?  (Note that all the clown pictures are back.) If not, where is she sleeping?  If yes, where is blonde Eleanor sleeping?

Also, the subject of laundry came up.  Since no one needs to cook in The Good Place except those chefs that enjoy doing so, do people really have to do laundry if it's not one of their favorite things?  (I assume there's infinite clothing available in the stores.) Couldn't Eleanor just get new stuff?  Is there concern about waste there?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't understand the sleeping arrangements.  I think Chidi said he was staying with blonde Eleanor to help teach her, so does that mean there is a guest room?  And now that brunette Eleanor is there, does she get to sleep in the bed that was intended for her?  (Note that all the clown pictures are back.) If not, where is she sleeping?  If yes, where is blonde Eleanor sleeping?

I'm assuming there's another bedroom since that other couple was going to stay with them temporarily. If not, couch? If there is no other bedroom, it's also possible Chidi and Bell-Eleanor did just sleep in the same bed because there's space and sleeping in beds is comfortable, especially after becoming friends. It's not entirely unreasonable for me to think they could do so platonically. It's not like it was a twin.

So I'm assuming the most probable thing is there is another room and before either Chidi or Eleanor slept in there (or they switched off). Now that really-her-house Eleanor is there, someone sleeps in the hidden-stairs bed, somone else sleeps in the other, and the third on the couch. If there is no second bedroom, I'm guessing really-her-house sleeps in the bed and one of the other two: couch, and possibly if Janet weren't broken they could Janet a rollaway into some other space. Or one could go sleep in one of the extra rooms in Tahani's giant house, depending on how friendly she's feeling to one or the other of them.

Edited by theatremouse
53 minutes ago, possibilities said:

In the beginning, Chidi had his own place, too.

That seems like a weird glitch in the "soul mates" system. Why would the universe create single homes for everyone if they're about to meet their soul mate (and probably move in with them)? How does everyone get an ideal home if they're about to pair up -- do you have to live in someone else's dream home if you move in with your soul mate? Why do Chidi and fake Eleanor get their own homes, but Jianyu and Tahani share one? Sloppy writing is my guess, but hey what do I know.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 4
On 11/5/2016 at 11:50 AM, stillshimpy said:

I particularly loved the detail of the magazine she was picking up, celebrity baby plastic surgery disasters.  That was delightfully and slyly meta.   Bell and her husband Dax Shepherd (Shephard? Can't recall!) are so outspoken about leaving the children of celebrities entirely alone.  Not photographing them, not buying the magazines that feature these pictures.  So I was so delighted when it was used as evidence of "going to the bad place".  Cute, show, very nice and fitting. 

I'd forgotten all about their public campaign.  Thanks for the reminder, which makes me enjoy the magazine joke even more!

I like the "real" Eleanor because she does seem truly good but not annoying, in that she doesn't harbor resent against "fake" Eleanor for not revealing herself sooner and thus subjecting her to more of the Bad Place. She honestly seems to want to help "fake" Eleanor, along with Chidi.

I completely missed that she said that there were clown paintings in her home at the Bad Place too -- love that it's our Eleanor's idea of hell, and the other's idea of heaven. 

So, I was wondering if the jalapeno popper eating contest Jason told Janet about in this episode is the same eating contest he mentioned in a prior one, just before he told Eleanor that he then came in first in a barfing contest?

Since we have an awesome Ted Danson, can we please please please have a delightful Mary Steenburgen?  Maybe she can play Shawn?

• Love 1

2 things just occurred to me - there are now 321 people in Michael's neighbourhood.

And this is probably my being extra sensitive but Michael (and Trevor) thought the blonde white Eleanor was the good person and the South Asian looking Eleanor was the bad one.

18 minutes ago, romantic idiot said:

2 things just occurred to me - there are now 321 people in Michael's neighbourhood.

And this is probably my being extra sensitive but Michael (and Trevor) thought the blonde white Eleanor was the good person and the South Asian looking Eleanor was the bad one.

I don't know that Micheal or Trevor see the people prior to assignment.  I also got the impression that they don't make the assignments and just receive profiles (without images of their faces) and then people arrive.  I don't recall anything that indicated they saw the Eleanors until they arrived in their respective places.   It doesn't even seem that Michael was aware there were two Eleanors until Trevor mentioned keeping real Eleanor.  It's equally likely that Trevor didn't know that there were two Eleanors until Michael called him.

• Love 6

The odds of two Eleanor Frostrop (or whatever her pretty uncommon last name is) would die at the exact same time in the exact same place is so improbably that Michael (or Trevor, whichever one got their first) took the first one who had an ID that had that name on it. I believe they only get written files about their charges. And really, it's not a name like Jane Smith or something. If I saw two bodies, I'd go to the first one, look at the ID and say, yep, that's my girl.

What I like is that the Good Place isn't very white heavy. Really, of the ones worthy enough to be in the good place the only main character we know of that is white doesn't even belong there. lol Maybe Michael took her because he needed a token white chick. hahaha

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RachelKM said:

I don't know that Micheal or Trevor see the people prior to assignment.  I also got the impression that they don't make the assignments and just receive profiles (without images of their faces) and then people arrive.  I don't recall anything that indicated they saw the Eleanors until they arrived in their respective places.   It doesn't even seem that Michael was aware there were two Eleanors until Trevor mentioned keeping real Eleanor.  It's equally likely that Trevor didn't know that there were two Eleanors until Michael called him.

The show said outright that the architects do not see humans before they arrive in their destination - living humans appear as nothing more than red dots on a map. 

I would imagine that Trevor was aware he didn't have the correct Eleanor; we've seen Real Eleanor is an openly good person, and I think those tendencies would be on display even in the Bad place. Trevor, being terrible, could have noticed that he didn't get the fun trash bag he was expecting, but did nothing to correct it. Why would he? He still has someone to torture, after all.

• Love 5

Love the fact that, even though the denizens of the Bad Place can hold wild parties in which people get the hangovers they "deserve" (why would you turn that on!?) - they still can't forking swear!

Interesting that while Eleanor knocks years off her age - Kristen Bell does too (if IMDB is correct, she wasn't born in 1982, but 1980)!

I'd say it's surprising that Tahani hadn't caught on to Jianyu, but she's so desperate for acceptance (and self obsessed), I guess she didn't think about anything being wrong with him.

Kudos to the person who made the amazing choice of costuming Trevor in a T-shirt and blazer. 

Bad Janet. XD I'm dead.

The non-Trevor demons at Tahani's place seemed... painfully lame? Like, not even a basic sort of Entourage lame. Just like, actually uncool.

Oh, good. I'm glad Tahani finally stumbled onto Jason's secret.