Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Someone Like Me as a Member

Seeing Chidi interact with his actual soul mate was so great and so sad - it's nice to see that, minor clerical error aside, he and Real Eleanor really are perfect together.

Real Eleanor was a surprise - just as accomplished as Tahani, but without the desperate need to impress. I really like her, but I'm torn about her coming between Chidi and Fake Eleanor.

Michael's line of the night, on why they would create a bad Janet: "Unclear." It was all in the delivery, but I laughed and laughed at that.

Jianyu's scene with Janet was sweet but  I have to object to the idea that she's the only one who's nice to him. Tahani has wanted nothing more than to enjoy his company, and it  would've been nice to see him acknowledge that. I am  very intrigued that she's on to him now. Also, was she wearing the blue, Alice in Wonderland style dress again during their confrontation?

I'm also curious why Trevor hasn't outed Jianyu as a fake. Is it possible he's supposed to be in the Good Place?

I was concerned that Michael was giving Trevor ideas when he was telling him off the the end! And I can't believe we have time wait until January to find out what happens next!

• Love 17

On the other hand, I am off to Cuba Monday and was tormented by missing two episodes......

So, now I will join all of the tormented at having to wait until January!

There is peace in the company of strangers all wanting the same thing.....JANUARY!

.Loved the episode

• Love 6

Bad Janet! 

Chidi's continual devotion to Eleanor makes me smile. It's clear he's making her a better person but I also think the relationship is helping him grow too. His life isn't theoretical anymore. He's acting and making decisions based on what feels right rather than carefully weighing philosophical option. 

Trevor is perfect. He's repugnant and every time he tells Eleanor to smile, I want to punch him  

The Tahani/Jason reveal was interesting. Maybe the reason the Bad Place people don't know about Jianyu is that he still isn't talking even now. I'm bummed we have to wait now until January. 

• Love 10

I loved this episode and I love this show.  I'm really kind of in awe of it.  It's unique, it's creative, it's interesting.  (Even though we compared it to all those Bryan Fuller shows) it truly is not exactly like anything I've ever seen.  Sounds weird but I mean that as a compliment.  I'm also becoming a fan of Kristen Bell more and more with every episode and I resisted her before this show for so long.  

Adam Scott was great.  

I agree that the Jason line to Janet was weird.  Maybe Chidi and Eleanor condescend to him?  And maybe Tahani expects too much out of him?  But that would be a pretty deep reading of a very simple line.  He, in his weird way of thinking, thinks Janet "understands" him.  That would be putting it more accurately I think.  

I like how we're getting a fuller picture of Tahani.  I love how Tahani and Eleanor show a huge range of emotions and express their inner despair outwardly so much.  I love their acting.  I really feel it. Ted Danson has always been the 'weak' part for me - I don't mean that he's untalented, I just mean that I feel no draw towards him - but the line about Bad Janet was hilarious, I agree @swimmyfish.

When Trevor was like "Yeah sure but who are they going to believe?  Me, or a woman?"  I LAUGHED AND I LAUGHED

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

Seeing Chidi interact with his actual soul mate was so great and so sad - it's nice to see that, minor clerical error aside, he and Real Eleanor really are perfect together.

I don't think real Eleanor is his soulmate, I think fake Eleanor (I love that they keep calling her "fake") is his actual soulmate. Real Eleanor is what he thinks his soulmate should be, maybe that's why he's there (I still don't think it's the actual Good Place, I think it's a learning place), to stop being so rigid about how things must be & to learn to love things that don't fit the mold.

Why is this show off until January? 2 months from now I won't remember anything.

• Love 9

Wow, the last scene seemed like it was clipped in from a different episode initially. Just throwing out one more thing to build on for when the show comes back after the time off... I mean the show's going to go plaid pretty soon at this rate.

That made for a really choppy ending, and I was actually getting a bit tired of the "bad" people who were really just annoying... I think less of the 'lines/gags' hit tonight than usual as well.

I think the jury (Shane notwithstanding) is still out on this one...

• Love 1

Bad Janet!  She was perfect. 

I really enjoyed this episode... other than the bad place minions who I found a little tedious, even though the concept of Nixon Tape Karaoke sort of cracked me up.

I really appreciated Tahini's support of Michael.  It's her best look.  She was genuinely upset at how the minions were treating him. 

And I love our Eleanor and Chidi's relationship.  I think they have a lovely dynamic.  I'm genuinely conflicted about the idea of our Eleanor being Chidi's real soul mate.  Genuine male/female friendships are so rare on TV, plus I don't want them ruined with some Good!Eleanor/Chidi/Our!Eleanor triangle crap.  Also, I genuinely like Good!Eleanor and she and Chidi were sweet.

20 hours ago, crashdown said:

".  . . yada yada yada. And I learned English by watching Seinfeld . . . "

BWAHAHA!!  The lightning-fast throwaway lines on this show are little bolts of brilliance!

I cracked up at this. That and Michael's response of "Unclear" regarding the purpose of Bad Janet were excellent. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5

Today in things I never knew I wanted: Ted Danson in a neon bowtie, dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out?"  He is the gift that keeps on giving.

Why do I have a feeling that if doing karaoke to things like the Nixon tapes or Mel Gibson's rant isn't already a thing, it will likely be one?  That so sounds like something I can actually see people doing in order to try and be "cool" or make a statement of some kind.  And they'll all likely go to The Bad Place, I imagine.

I like that "Real Eleanor" does seem genuine about being a good person, although she still brought some laughs over her throwaway Seinfeld line, and how casual she was about the whole torture thing.  I do think that she likely won't be Chidi's soulmate though.  They seem too perfect now, so I'm guessing something will cause a conflict they can't get past.

Bad Janet for the win!

Kristen Bell was really great tonight.  She really sold Eleanor's emotions and struggles over everything, and it was great when she finally rose against, and fought for herself.  She still isn't all there, but I think she has a shot to be worthy of The Good Place.  Love that Chidi is still loyal to her.

Adam Scott is really having a ball at making Trevor the absolute worst.

So, now it looks like this is going to someone even higher up then Trevor and Michael, named Sean.  Who could it be?!

Tahani finally figures out the truth about James!  I liked that she figured it out on her own.  Can't wait to see where this is heading next!

Of course, that leads to the worst part of the episode, which is we have to wait till January to find out.  Aww, man!  I'm going to miss this.  This really has become one of my favorite shows this year.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, crashdown said:

BWAHAHA!!  The lightning-fast throwaway lines on this show are little bolts of brilliance!

Let's remember what yada, yada, yada meant in that episode. Initially, we thought that yada, yada, yada was just omitting unimportant details, except it actually was used as a way to skip over and dismiss really bad details (shoplifting and the reason for Susan's death, for example). Perhaps the "Real" Eleanor isn't entirely good either. 

5 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I just assumed it was "Shawn," because that would be the worst spelling of that name.

According to the captions, it is "Shawn." 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I just assumed it was "Shawn," because that would be the worst spelling of that name.

Really? I always felt that "Shaun" was the worst. I just don't think that "u" looks right. 

I had a thought. What guarantees that your soulmate is going to be Good Place worthy? The point system is so strict and there's only one other person on the whole planet for you, how can the architects know that both sides of the soulmate coin are getting in? Obviously it seems clear that our Eleanor and Chidi aren't supposed to be soulmates but what if they are and that's how she slipped in? I know the show is saying it was a simple mistake based on the coincidence of them dying at the same event, but even then you'd think there would be something in place to ensure people go where they're supposed to. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

That all made some sense. I'm furious that we have to wait until January for the next episode.

I actually shouted at my TV, "NOOOOOO!" When I found out. I love this show; it's so funny, clever and delightfully charming!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Why is this show off until January? 2 months from now I won't remember anything.

Thursday Night Football on NBC.

Adam Scott is killing it.  I kinda want Fake Eleanor to go to The Bad Place, just so I can see it.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

Jianyu's scene with Janet was sweet but  I have to object to the idea that she's the only one who's nice to him. Tahani has wanted nothing more than to enjoy his company, and it  would've been nice to see him acknowledge that. I am  very intrigued that she's on to him now. Also, was she wearing the blue, Alice in Wonderland style dress again during their confrontation?

With Tahani, she wants the concept of Jianyu and the promised soul mate, but not Jason.  Chidi and Eleanor have been a bit harsh with him at times.  Whoever is playing Jason is oddly endearing.

10 hours ago, vibeology said:

Trevor is perfect. He's repugnant and every time he tells Eleanor to smile, I want to punch him 

He really is perfect in this.  Trimming his toenails at the cafe?  Trevor is very punchable, but Adam Scott has never been more attractive to me.  I clearly need a therapy session dedicated to this.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When Trevor was like "Yeah sure but who are they going to believe?  Me, or a woman?"  I LAUGHED AND I LAUGHED

I laughed and cringed at the truth of this statement.  Guess that is another therapy session topic.

6 hours ago, RachelKM said:

I really enjoyed this episode... other than the bad place minions who I found a little tedious, even though the concept of Nixon Tape Karaoke sort of cracked me up.

I think the darker comedy in this is the big draw for me.  I find it delightful.

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Today in things I never knew I wanted: Ted Danson in a neon bowtie, dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out?"  He is the gift that keeps on giving.

My intro to Ted Danson was the tap dancing prosecuter in Body Heat.

2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Really? I always felt that "Shaun" was the worst. I just don't think that "u" looks right. 

Since I love Shaun the Sheep, I strongly disagree with this. 

14 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

I kinda want Fake Eleanor to go to The Bad Place, just so I can see it.

I so want The Bad Place series.

• Love 5

So the Bad Place seems to be the place that holds a person's worst nightmares. The torture isnt typical  fire and brimstone, but thigns the person hated most on earth.

Janet showing up without being called, and having an un-robotic conversation with Jason feels a little out of canon for the show - I don't recall her doing things autonomously and humanly before. It also had nothign to do with the plot on this episode, so what was the point?

Oooooh. the tag... that was GOOOD.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

Can someone tell me the tag? My DVR missed it entirely.  I didn't hear about Shawn until I read this board.

Shawn was earlier when Michael and Trevor were talking about how to settle their dispute over our Eleanor.

The tag was epic. It was Jason pulling junk food out from under his robe and sneaking into his "meditation room" only Tahani was inside waiting. She explained that she had noticed junk food wrappers around the house and saw him tapping the keg earlier and she knows he doesn't belong in the Good Place.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, moonbunnychan said:

They make such a big deal out of Janet not being human, but since her reboot, it seems like she's starting to show little glimmers of feelings or thoughts, which would be really interesting.

This is reminiscent of Westworld

• Love 2

I wonder if Janet is gaining human emotions as a result of her gradual reboot. If the hug from Jason results in her having feelings for him, it could be trouble for Tahani if she tries to out him.

Eleanor had steps the whole time but couldn't use them because of the hidden button? I'm surprised she didn't go off on that. Her flashbacks intrigued me, I wonder why she was always so intent on isolating herself.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

Jianyu's scene with Janet was sweet but  I have to object to the idea that she's the only one who's nice to him.

He was full of it when he said that. Chidi has really gone to bat for him, over and over again - he even gave Jason the perfect gift for Tahani.

But I guess it makes sense for Jason to feel that way. His big dream is to be a celebrity DJ, and for people to treat him like a celebrity. Whereas Chidi is asking him to be a better person, and sit through classes. And he has to pretend to be a monk to please Tahani.

• Love 4

Whatever the reason, it seems like a monumental mistake to put the show on hiatus until January. There are only four more episodes and it's going to kill all the momentum. This show needs all the help it can get if we want it to be renewed. This is not going to help.

When they first showed Bad Janet I assumed it was an entirely different actress playing her because she looked so different. I had to do a double-take to realize it was D'Arcy Carden. "It's up your butt you dink." I loved how she even had a different sound effect for appearing and disappearing. 

Real Eleanor's description of Fake Eleanor's fate in The Bad Place was hilarious - a never ending (wedding? baby? can't remember) shower for someone she doesn't know, that she has to host, and has to remember everyone's name. Also the fact that the same clown pictures are in her home in The Bad Place. See, I like the idea of a "personal hell" instead of the traditional fire and brimstone. I could have done without "food that turns into spiders." It should have just been some kind of food Fake Eleanor hates, like nothing but Tofu.

But then - that wouldn't necessarily be a "hell" for Real Eleanor. She probably wouldn't mind too much hosting a never-ending shower or have a problem remembering people's names. And she loves clowns.

If the Bad People got hangovers turned back on they should have been able to say "fork" too.

LOL. I caught that.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Noooo! We have to wait till January? I agree that this will kill momentum.
I have to say it every episode, I love this show! Everything about it is awesome.

I really hope we do see The Bad Place. Adam Scott has been great in this. He's a perfect douche and he's playing it just right. I felt a little pang seeing Chidi with Real Eleanor. I could see Fake Eleanor's jealousy a little bit over that. Like, she's not romantically jealous, but feels a friend-jealousy.
Interested to see what happens with Jianyu getting found out. Is there a real Jianyu? What's caused that mixup?

• Love 5
16 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

On the other hand, I am off to Cuba Monday and was tormented by missing two episodes......

Have fun, eat a sandwhich for me! 

Wait until JANUARY?!?! What is this madness!?! At least I`m not alone in my impatience for the next four episodes. Its going to kill the momentum its been building, they should have just moved it to a different day if they had to have Thursday night football.  

The Seinfeld "yada yada yada" might have been my favorite line, followed by Trevor mocking Fake Eleanor for blaming her parents divorce on her being a jerk. In fact, everything with Trevor was amazing. Can we get a Bad Place spin off, please? Pretty please? He is just the perfect asshole, and Adam Scott is clearly having a ball playing him.

I really like Real Eleanor, and her and Chidi are super cute, but it makes me feel sad seeing Fake Eleanor all sad that Chidi has a new person in his life.

• Love 3

Frakking football ruins everything.

Is there a real Jianyu? What's caused that mixup?

His name isn't even really Jianyu, right? It's really Jason? Because the reason we've been given for the switch-up between the two Eleanors was that they have the exact same name and died at the exact same moment. If Jianyu isn't even really Jianyu, how did that work?

Maybe Shawn is just messing with everyone.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, vibeology said:

The Tahani/Jason reveal was interesting. Maybe the reason the Bad Place people don't know about Jianyu is that he still isn't talking even now.

Do we know if real Jianyu even necessarily had a vow of silence? I thought Michael just assumed he had because Jason hadn't talked yet, and then Jason ran with it since it gave him an out.

13 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I agree but Shawn isn't necessarily bad, so he doesn't need the worst spelling (even though cc seems to confirm it). He's just decider judge guy. So in theory he ought to be impartial.

I was thinking that a real Buddhist Monk would be incredibly conditioned to handle what the Bad Place would throw at him. Especially if it was Jason's bad place.

Man Kristen Bell played the high school student who didn't want to deal with anyone's bullshit so well, where did she get the experience to act on that?

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is reminiscent of Westworld

RIGHT????

Both are designed places, both are going haywire, both raise thorny ethical and philosophical questions, and with Janet, The Good Place has specifically gotten into the questions of "murdering" a person/thing who specifically assures them that her reactions are not real and she is not a person.

Eleanor's "I don't want to get close to people" thing ran too close to home for me. =(

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Do we know if real Jianyu even necessarily had a vow of silence? I thought Michael just assumed he had because Jason hadn't talked yet, and then Jason ran with it since it gave him an out.

In the flashback, Michael started off by telling Jason/Jianyu "I know you have taken a vow of silence and haven't spoken aloud since you were seven. Do you wish to continue that here?" (Paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it)

• Love 2

Loved this. My favorite episode so far. Crushed that the next one isn't til January.

I hope Shawn is female. I'm trying to think of who I want them to cast, but there are too many juicy possibilities.

I agree that Jason likes Janet because he can relax around her, and she appreciates him without asking him to change.

Also really like the new Eleanor. I don't know what I expected, but not this. I like her a lot-- not just as a fun character, but also just on her own merits. She somehow managed to come across warm, friendly, sincere, and every other possible good thing, without being annoying or "too perfect." This may be the first "perfect" character  I've encountered who is truly likable and not irritating. I also agree that the real Jianyu is probably very well adapted to not suffer from the Bad Place, and am now looking forward to finding out how he and Jason got swapped-- if that's what really happened.

Michael having no boundaries and needing to learn to assert himself was startling, and his dancing was hilarious. With Tahani's family background, I guess she would be the right person to teach someone about not being intimidated by emotional abuse.

Janet's suspiciously slow reboot is very fun, but it's also something that makes me wonder about the nature of the Place(s).

I think the stairs in Eleanor's house were always there, but no one thought to look for the button because they didn't know about that style of architecture, whereas new Eleanor had probably seen or imagined this kind of thing before, since it was, after all, her dream house.

I think it's interesting that Eleanor didn't suffer that much in the Bad Place-- she didn't love it, but it wasn't her own personal hell and she doesn't seem to be prone to being traumatized. It might be that certain people are miserable anywhere, some are happy everywhere. If that's what the show is saying, the Buddhist monk may be the head writer, not just a character on the show....

• Love 2

Michael did say earlier that with each iteration Janet gets a bit upgraded.

When Michael told the Bad Placers to get the fork out of there I was imagining that he is the sort of person who would use the word 'fork' instead of that which is being filtered.

• Love 2

Ok.  I get the switch, same names, died at same time, but why are they calling Blonde Eleanor "Fake Eleanor"?  Did she lie about her name too? 

I have been on the fence about this show.  Not sure if I have truly liked it or not.  But I watch.  And this week, I was sad to see that we have to wait until January for more.  Boo!!!   I guess I like it! 

Ted Danson is good in this role.  Oh yes, Adam Scott is the perfect bad guy.  Definitely the right person to play the bad guy. 

This show is silly, fun and makes you think.   

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

why are they calling Blonde Eleanor "Fake Eleanor"?  Did she lie about her name too? 

She did not lie about her name, they both have the same name.  She didn't correct him when Michael mentioned all the stuff about the other Eleanor so she knew there was a case of mistaken identity going on.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Trimming his toenails at the cafe?

Made even better by the sound effects of the nail hitting a wineglass.  But, hey, he warned them.  And his ideas for the unicorn....

My biggest worry is wrapped up in a throwaway line from Michael, something to the effect of "Oh, my [Bieber]".  Please tell me he's not the supreme boss, please.

Although it's great watching Janet improve, there's gotta be at least one programmer/coder who made it to the Good Place, right?  Help her out!

• Love 1

Michael's line of the night, on why they would create a bad Janet: "Unclear." It was all in the delivery, but I laughed and laughed at that.

I listened to that line delivery over and over and it cracked me up each time. Ted Danson's comedic timing is perfect, as is Kristen Bell's.

Adam Scott as Trevor is so perfectly douchey. I just want to punch him in every scene.

I have a feeling there might be some love triangles next episode - Chidi and Tahani hit it off, Chidi and Real Eleanor hit it off, and I think there are subtle hints of Fake Eleanor developing feelings for Chidi. I'm into it.

Dear TV gods: please don't cancel this delightful, hilarious show.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Man Kristen Bell played the high school student who didn't want to deal with anyone's bullshit so well, where did she get the experience to act on that?

That was my favourite part. Her standing on the table was hilarious (especially the braces). I did also love the terrible party.

I was surprised by the episode (which doesn't happen enough on TV). I really thought that the real Eleanor, being such a good person would offer to go back to the bad place in fake Eleanor's place.  Michael standing up to Trevor was better though.

And since fake Eleanor' keeps talking about the middle place, it makes me wonder why it is just the Good Place? Shouldn't the place where people like Chidi and Real Eleanor end up be more than just good? Unless of course there is a Great Place.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Although it's great watching Janet improve, there's gotta be at least one programmer/coder who made it to the Good Place, right?  Help her out!

I don't think it's an issue of needing a coder. The issue is the sheer amount of data that needs to be reloaded. Takes time. Or so I thought Michael implied when it first happened. Her brain is like the world's largest data warehouse.

• Love 3

I haven't eaten meat in years, only worth mentioning because I laughed almost until I cried on the "Unicorn Holders?"  complete with corncob holder hand motions.   

Janet showing up without being called, and having an un-robotic conversation with Jason feels a little out of canon for the show - I don't recall her doing things autonomously and humanly before. It also had nothign to do with the plot on this episode, so what was the point?

I'd guess that rebooting Janet actually comes with bigger consequences than just waiting for ages for her to download the knowledge of the entire universe.  So maybe it is to help show how accepting Eleanor into the place will start to change the nature of what a neighborhood is?  She never had to ask anyone a question before though because she was in a possession of all knowledge.  Curiosity, having to have questions answered, those are new things to her.  The neighborhood is new and Michael's first but the Janet he made it with had been around for a while, now you have less-informed Janet, who may start making her own choices, as she has questions.  

I'm explaining it horribly as a concept, but I think that's where they might be taking it.  Providing a route for character growth.  Plus, I'm assuming that the season ends with Janet finally having downloaded everything, remarking that cactuses are not files and oh by the way, "Chidi murdered me!" 

On 11/3/2016 at 8:07 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sounds weird but I mean that as a compliment.  I'm also becoming a fan of Kristen Bell more and more with every episode and I resisted her before this show for so long. 

Welcome to the Bell side :-)  She's constructed out of all things winning and talented.   I particularly loved the detail of the magazine she was picking up, celebrity baby plastic surgery disasters.  That was delightfully and slyly meta.   Bell and her husband Dax Shepherd (Shephard? Can't recall!) are so outspoken about leaving the children of celebrities entirely alone.  Not photographing them, not buying the magazines that feature these pictures.  So I was so delighted when it was used as evidence of "going to the bad place".  Cute, show, very nice and fitting. 

We clearly don't have the full gig yet, as the show kept reminding us that Jason is Jason and not Jinayu.  So there's no possibility that he was scooped up on the same "freakish set of circumstances, two people with the same name, die in the same accident!"  So it kind of felt like the show was constantly reminding us that we think we know what happened with Eleanor, but there's still more to know because shit.is.still.up.  

Loved it.  Loved how Hell Minions are basically everyone's graceless adolescent nightmare child/niece/nephew/former self rather than being hissing demons, they were like brats at the mall when they are bored and claiming they hate the smell of cinnabon, so could  get the stuff you need, so we can get out of here.  

• Love 7

For something I initially watched as an afterthought this show has quickly become one of my favorites. Everyone is fantastic, I don't think there's one character I dislike or is irritating. Adam Scott, never seen him before I don't think, is hysterical. 

Someone said this seems like a completely new idea - I agree. While I actually don't mind retreads I'm shocked that this is so unfamiliar.  Maybe because they really try to develop each character individually and not just as a prop to serve the fake-Eleanor (that name is to great to lose). 

I can;t believe we have to wait till January!! 

• Love 5

I can;t believe we have to wait till January!! 

What!?!  I did not know this.  WTF?  (Yes, it stands for fork.)

This is my favorite new show; I'm loving Bell and Danson, Harper, Carden, Jamil and Jacinto.  And now, having thrown in Adam Scott - guest arc I assume - bonus fun!

Crap.

For those of you who have seen Bored to Death, does Michael at times remind you of the way Ted D. played George?  Not that I mind, since I loved George; he had a marvelous aura of childlike wonder.  Especially when he was high...

George just didn't want to miss out on anything, hanging out with his younger friends, adventures, pot, sexual exploits. Yes, I see a wee little bit of George in Michael, but Michael is sillier and Danson looks like he's having a lot of fun.

5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Ooops... that was supposed to be posted in a different thread... sorry!

5 hours ago, amaranta said:

What!?!  I did not know this.  WTF?  (Yes, it stands for fork.)

This was the time the episode wasn't cut off at the end on my DVR, but the preview was not recorded.  I'm guessing they announced the break during that preview.  I had no idea until I read it here, and was so disappointed.

Edited by AnnaRose