Type keyword(s) to search

Coach Suggestions: What Would Mark Burnett Do?

• Start Topic

It was hard to decide where to put this - it might belong best in Christina's thread.  Ariana Grande for the win!  I think Voice fans will love this.

If it's here because you are suggesting she'd make a good Coach, I can't agree.  She's great at impressions, she's made hit records and can sing well when she bothers to enunciate, but at this point in her life she's this arrogant young famous wild child, with no gravitas to be credible as someone coaching other acts.

If they have to go young, and not yet used on another show (like Demi Lovato was) I'd far rather see Miley Cyrus--who I believe if they could ever afford her (unlikely) is not so married to doing everything naked these days that she wouldn't hold it back on TV and only do that on stage. 

The genius of using Miley Cyrus would be that it would be the necessary thorn in Blake's tail to stop him from automatically getting every country artist. Sure Miley hasn't really released a country album in years (and may never do so again), and much of Red State America has sworn her off, but a lot of the young country artists will STILL identify with her a lot, she can STILL teach them how to sing country, and most importantly she has just as many "connections" in Nashville as Blake (why he always wins those picks now). 

Oh dear, looks like I should have chosen to post the Ariana Grande clip in Christina's thread.  No, I didn't intend to nominate her as a coach.  I was simply amused by her impressions of Christina (as current coach), Celine (who has been mentioned as a possible coach either here or way back when on TwoP), and Britney (because who isn't amused by impressions of Britney?).

Please move or delete if you think it's appropriate, Kromm

I have no ability to do that, but if you want it you can simply hit the Report button on your own post (don't worry they won't punish you) and let the mods know you want it elsewhere. That may lead to some of the follow-up posts being mod-edited or deleted. but I don't mind (they can just leave the part of mine about Miley Cyrus I suppose).

I renew my suggestion/vain hope that the show goes the route of having a female country star as a coach at some point to "counter" Blake.  As said before it also kills several other stones at the same time. If it's Adam. Blake, Christina, Female Country Star then you have two women and two country stars on the same panel. Of course you lose your African-American representation. So maybe you wait for a season when Christina is off and have Adam, Blake, African-American Female R&B Artist, Female Country Star. Still two women, two country stars, but also the African-American representation.

Of course this all relies on the continuing assumption that neither Adam nor Blake is ever going away (or even on a break). 

What they do NOT want to do I hope is to give in to the suggestion of Christina and Gwen on the same season. Two women? Fine. Just not those two. Get an Alicia Keyes. Or a Mary J.Blige. That's about the fame/career level that's right and realistic. Heck, I'll also even toss in Jennifer Hudson, even if her actual singing career never got to that same level (vs. her other career in acting). 

I am still holding out P!nk will be a coach. One day. I'm tired of Xtina and Gwen.

Catching up on Season 10:  I love Xtina this season.  Love.  It took her awhile, but she has finally nailed the playful spirit and spunk that the show needed from a female judge to balance (and mesh with) the Adam and Blake show.  (in my opinion)

She still slips up occasionally and talks about letting a female coach win (which I have always found completely obnoxious) but it is so much less than before.  

I don't know Pink, she might be good - - - the woman I've enjoyed second most on this show (however briefly) was Alicia Keys.

I am still holding out P!nk will be a coach. One day. I'm tired of Xtina and Gwen.

I don't think she does the idiocy with the ! anymore.

Heck, hearing stories of how she asks people to call her "Alecia" when the cameras are off I wonder if she regrets being Pink instead of Alecia Moore. Then again I've always wondered how tired Gordon Sumner got of "Sting".

In related news: Kesha dumped that dollar sign years ago too.

• Love 2

I always thought the ! & $ were idiotic, as well. Somebody (not me) should update Pink's Wikipedia page that she isn't using the stylized BS anymore. Kesha's page says "formerly," Pink's does not.

i don't mind the Miley/Alicia Keys announcement. Would love for them to do two seasons, with the second one being them, Usher, and Pharrell. Or anyone except Adam and Blake.

I think it's at least possible Adam might eventually take time off, but I sense Blake is only getting out there on a stretcher.

This is being hashed out in other topics, but overall the Miley/Alicia Keys idea is okay. Miley is not the super-country focused choice that would really be able to break Blake's monopoly, because I bet most of Nashville doesn't talk to her anymore, but I'd bet enough of the younger contestants will be awed by her enough to not think that through and go with her anyway. In fact, I expect her to get almost any act she wants if the contestant is mid-20s or younger, other than perhaps some hardcore Keyes fan.  She'll break Blake's monopoly based on other things than pure Nashville influence, I mean (not that she has none, just not Blake's Old Boy Network--which is fine since she's got Max Martin and Clive Davis on speed dial instead). 

To answer the question posed in the title of the thread.  He will shoot himself in the face if he hears Alisha say 'you touched my soul' one more fucking time.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Apparently Miley will be coming back next season. From what I have read Adam and Blake didn't like working with her, and Gwen apparently thinks she should have the gig permanently.
I actually though Miley did a great job as a coach...she knew how to critique in a way that helped the contestants, and she seemed to have good instincts on which singers to go after for her team, and what songs worked best for them. She wore some crazy outfits, but she wasn't crazy or inappropriate for a family show.

I don't think Gwen needs to be on every season. I do get tired of her referencing when she started with No Doubt...yes Gwen, we get it, you were in a band when you were 17. So were a lot of other people, that doesn't make you special. I am just glad that they toned down the PDAs between her and Blake...that is not the reason I watch the show.

I love Blake and I think he really knows how to work with his artists, and he helps all of them, just not the winner. His mentoring doesn't stop when the winner is announced.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, wings707 said:

To answer the question posed in the title of the thread.  He will shoot himself in the face if he hears Alisha say 'you touched my soul' one more fucking time.  

He will?  Or you will?

• Love 1

I think Gwen is a pretty terrible coach, so I'm fine with her not being there every season. I anticipated disliking Miley  and I didn't at all! It would be awesome to get those two tired guys out of rotation for a season or two.

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Keekski said:

I think Gwen is a pretty terrible coach, so I'm fine with her not being there every season. I anticipated disliking Miley  and I didn't at all! It would be awesome to get those two tired guys out of rotation for a season or two.

They boys aren't going anywhere, they anchor the show.  I have come to like their banter but what I don't like is Gwen being in that mix.   Gwen, she is not a good coach and I don't want to see Alicia back either.  I was surprised with Miley, too and glad to hear she will be back, if that is true.  She did a good job. 

I have a hard time believing the boys don't like Miley.  They would never let that be known.  I will chalk that up to rumor, for now. 

So Miley back and we still have to deal 'touch my soul' Alicia?  

Edited by wings707
6 hours ago, Keekski said:

I think Gwen is a pretty terrible coach

Ha!  Given this season's given her the strongest team she's ever had, I couldn't disagree more.

6 hours ago, wings707 said:

They boys aren't going anywhere, they anchor the show.  I have come to like their banter

Nah.  Adam's looking more and more bored and disinterested by the day.  I could see him throwing in the towel before too long.  Blake won't go, though.  That's for sure.  And their banter?  I don't see how anyone could like that overdone schtick, but if it's to your taste, then whatever you say.  More power to you and all that shit.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Nalan said:

Ha!  Given this season's given her the strongest team she's ever had, I couldn't disagree more.

Nah.  Adam's looking more and more bored and disinterested by the day.  I could see him throwing in the towel before too long.  Blake won't go, though.  That's for sure.  And their banter?  I don't see how anyone could like that overdone schtick, but if it's to your taste, then whatever you say.  More power to you and all that shit.

As for Gwen, even blind pig finds an acorn occasionally.  I do enjoy their banter for the most part.  Sure, it can get over the top especially when It moves to include Gwen, as I said.  Different strokes. 

• Love 1

IMO,. TPTB need to focus more on the Winners and their success than the coaches, though, I am tired of the Adam/Blake banter.(Season after season they praise artists as superstars and it's so disingenuous.  It makes them look so foolish, imo.)   The boasting about how great it is to win the show and their banter with each other is just old to me and overdone.

I don't see that anyone has done a terrible job, though, I don't understand some of their decisions on song choice. Lately, I'm thinking that Blake is playing favorites, which he used to avoid. 

I also liked Miley and wouldn't mind her return.  Alicia is okay, but, I don't share her taste in music and I think she hears vocals with her heart and not so much her ears.  I don't do it that way. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

(Season after season they praise artists as superstars and it's so disingenuous.  It makes them look so foolish, imo.)   The boasting about how great it is to win the show and their banter with each other is just old to me and overdone.

To be fair, though, that's the selling point of the show. If they didn't appear "excited" enough about the talent or the prospects of winning the show, they might as well quit being a coach on the show, because it's their job to sell the show. So, I give them a pass on this. After 12 seasons, since we have heard the same catch phrases over and over again, it may come off disingenuous, whether they like it or not. So it's either they leave the show or keep saying similar things. I have learnt not to take it seriously, anyway.

And after watching the Voice UK, where will.i.am phones it in with a complete disregard for the show, I have learnt to appreciate Adam and Blake who are at least trying.

• Love 3

Oh, I get it that they have to try to sell the show.  It's just such a piece of crap, that it's sickening.  I don't blame the coaches for this, but, the producers.  They know their winners are basically winners of $100,000.00.   Not that the money isn't great.  It is, but, just be honest and say, it's a money contest.  Dispense with all the BS about how they are going to be a superstar.  lol  It's rather funny.  And I think the show is pulled down by it.  I really hadn't planned to watch this season, until I saw a couple of people.  If they go home, I'll leave too.  

How are the ratings?  Everyone seems to like Gwen and Alicia.  They are okay, but, I wouldn't mind some brand new coaches.  I mean someone who is really, really good.  I thought Miley was, but, I think someone with more experience than her, who is at a higher level might be even better.  The thing is, would they come on this show?  Maybe, not......

51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Miley was, but, I think someone with more experience than her, who is at a higher level might be even better.  The thing is, would they come on this show?  Maybe, not......

They will not be able to get at the level of Taylor Swift or Beyonce but other than that, I think anything is possible. I'm surprised they managed to get Alicia Keys and Usher in the first place. It's good for artists too to promote themselves and their music for 1 or 2 seasons and then leaving after (exactly like what Alicia is doing and Usher did).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, waving feather said:

They will not be able to get at the level of Taylor Swift or Beyonce but other than that, I think anything is possible. I'm surprised they managed to get Alicia Keys and Usher in the first place. It's good for artists too to promote themselves and their music for 1 or 2 seasons and then leaving after (exactly like what Alicia is doing and Usher did).

This is true.  I can see how it would be too low paying for a huge star. 

So far, all the coaches have also been vocalists.   I wonder how someone who mainly produces would do.  I know that David Foster is also a vocalist, but, he's more of a producer.  I wonder how he might do.  I get that they couldn't pay him enough, but, he might do it as some kind of philanthropic measure. 

I know he's not exactly "hip", but would love to see Jon Bon Jovi as a guest mentor too. He's got such a pleasant and mellow vibe, and I think he'd care enough to really get into the role.  As far as coaches, maybe Justin Timberlake. His music career isn't as piping hot anymore, and he has a playful/goofy personality.

Personally, and mileage would obviously vary, but I'd rather learn from a Celine, Shania, Sammy Hagar, etc. than someone like Dj Khaled who is trendy, but offers little in the vocal department. I don't think the audience demographic is made up of tweens either; I think there's a solid representation of 30's+ who wouldn't mind seeing their favorite musicians as coaches. PLUS, a Dj Khaled or Charlie Puth may have a few hits now, but it seems like the contestants were super jazzed when they were working with legends (despite their age and perhaps lack of relevance). Celine, Patti, Sammy, Cyndi, Bette - So when it comes to guest mentors (or even coaches), I would rather see someone that fits that "legend" status, as opposed to someone who is currently charting. AND, someone who can actually sing would be a nice bonus ;)

Looking back at past mentors, I think that Michael Buble, Alanis, Kelly Clarkson, Pink would all be good as coaches. I think Mary J. Blige would be an interesting choice, but I question whether she's big enough outside of her genre, and whether she'd do/say something weird on camera :P

7 hours ago, waving feather said:

They will not be able to get at the level of Taylor Swift or Beyonce but other than that, I think anything is possible.

Taylor's actually been interested for some time, from what I've heard.  Beyoncé isn't, so I don't think we'll have her on, even as a Knockout or Live show advisor.

8 hours ago, waving feather said:

And after watching the Voice UK, where will.i.am phones it in with a complete disregard for the show, I have learnt to appreciate Adam and Blake who are at least trying.

Blake is trying.  Adam stopped trying after season ten.