Type keyword(s) to search

My Kitchen Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The premiere of the culinary series in which celebrity duos critique each other's food at intimate dinner parties.

First up: siblings Brandy and Ray J prepare a challenging meal; and Lance Bass and his mother, Diane, prepare a southern feast.

I pretty much enjoyed this, but I would've liked to know more about the food preparation. How did Brandy cook that short rib? Someone said they didn't even need a fork. That Real Housewife got too much screen time. She was a bit boring.

I had no idea that Ray J was Brandy's brother.

• Love 2

Brandy and Ray J are really bad over actors, really bad.  I find him so damn arrogant and he really has no reason to be. Aside from that sex tape and some bad reality shows, has he ever done much of note?

I can't stand Brandi Glanville and Lance Bass has been on so many reality type shows I bet even he lost count. 

All that said, I thought it was ok, I'll give it a shot. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Brandy and Ray J are really bad over actors, really bad and I find him so damn arrogant and he really has no reason to be. Aside from that sex tape and some bad reality shows, has he ever done much of note?

For reals and  Ray J had to mention his "hit it first" song which is misogynistic and inaccurate. His lack of chill makes me want them the first gone, not that Brandy's fake faint wasn't also ridiculous. 

I liked Lance's house and found Valerie who I didn't know existed before absolutely delightful.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

What a stupid concept to announce the score after each meal.  Since they are voting for or really against each other it seems rather goofy.  I am also curious when the short ribs were cooked-or is there no time limit? 

I think if you just flat out don't eat a certain food-you should not be allowed to vote.  Wow who knew Naomi Judd was such a humorless twit.  Brandi Glanville has proven once again she has no class and really isn't terribly funny or fun.  She seems to have the upper hand since her proclaimed BFF is a chef.  Dean seems a little dense when he didn't get the bad taste in men comment was directed at him. 

I thought it interesting Cat Cora gave a really low score because Lance and his mom served chicken and waffles.  I have always thought of fried chicken as a main course. I am hoping the same standard is followed with the subsequent dinners.  Say for example if someone makes tacos.

So is this a two show series?  Or will one team be eliminated after next week and then one the following week and finale would be a four episode series?  Or will they just endlessly keeping cooking dinners for each other? 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

So is this a two show series?  Or will one team be eliminated after next week and then one the following week and finale would be a four episode series?  Or will they just endlessly keeping cooking dinners for each other? 

It has to be at least three but is probably more. Andrew/Valerie don't have a dinner next week, they also show guest judges and challenges that clearly happen after one team has been elimanted. I haven't looked it up but I am thinking six weeks/episodes (Fox is notorious for doubling up episodes). 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

What a stupid concept to announce the score after each meal.  Since they are voting for or really against each other it seems rather goofy. 

Yeah that seems dumb, maybe they should just have the real judge critic them and give their scores and not tell the teams what the other teams voted. 

• Love 1

The Australian version is soooo much better. The commercials for this show made me think it was going to suck much worse than it did, though. The overacting about every little thing is tiresome to watch. I wonder if they realize they come off as obnoxious and irritating or think they come across as fun to watch. 

They are told what the other teams have collectively scored them, but not what each team scores them. So, when they go to score the next team, they can be strategic and score higher or lower to keep a team in or out of the competition, based on whether or not they like them. For instance, I think we are going to get a Brandy vs Brandi bicker fest, with Brandi's team serving up a knock out meal and Brandy's team giving a low score because she wants to beat her. For the drama. 

Andrew Dice Clay is being set up to be the team that crashes and burns terribly, so I hope I'm wrong and they do great, just to keep me on my toes. The Australian version uses regular, non trained people, and watching the cook go bad just because there are people there waiting to eat is enough drama without having to artificially make some. However, there are still people cast who are judgmental and people who clearly cannot cook well enough to be on the show, but are obviously chosen for the audience to have someone to hate. I've obviously not watched all seasons since I'm in the US and only learned about it within the last few years, but I've never seen a fake faint on that show.

As another non-fan of grits, I get Judd not wanting to eat them, but to judge lower just because they served something you don't like is bitchy. If they were cooked correctly and seasoned correctly, you should score them as such. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It has to be at least three but is probably more. Andrew/Valerie don't have a dinner next week, they also show guest judges and challenges that clearly happen after one team has been elimanted. I haven't looked it up but I am thinking six weeks/episodes (Fox is notorious for doubling up episodes). 

Thanks for the insight.  I guess episode three might involve one meal and the elimination results.   

I knew who the "celebrities" were by name only.  I'm not a country fan, but did Naomi Judd come across as a sulky, nasty witch or not?  Her husband seemed cordial enough, but was she ever a stinkbomb.

Brandi G is cast as the Outrageously Rude Personality We're Supposed To Secretly Like.  Fail.  I couldn't stand listening to her or looking at her awfully reworked face.  By conrast, her partner Dean came across rather well.  So did Lance Bass and his mom.

Since the series run will obviously be short, I guess I'll finish out of mild curiosity.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I think if you just flat out don't eat a certain food-you should not be allowed to vote.  Wow who knew Naomi Judd was such a humorless twit.  Brandi Glanville has proven once again she has no class and really isn't terribly funny or fun.  She seems to have the upper hand since her proclaimed BFF is a chef.  Dean seems a little dense when he didn't get the bad taste in men comment was directed at him. 

So much truth!  Naomi was the bitch her daughters have always said she was.  Brandi G. should never darken my tv screen again.  She is such a horrible person I have no idea why anyone would cast her.  Does she even have one fan?

I don't understand why people cook things they have never made before?  I would practice, practice and do more practice.

• Love 3

I'm so happy that some of you share my opinion on brandy and Ray J and their obnoxiousness and over acting.  I said the same on a different site and was accused of being racist.  Those people failed to notice that I said I didn't like Brandi G either.

I've always liked Dice but after the preview of him saying something to Dean about Dean looking at his wife's cleavage I'm not so sure about him now.  Women can wear anything they want without being leered at of course but if you put your breasts on display like that, somebody is going to poke and then peek.   

• Love 1

Ray J is obnoxious! Brandy is also over the top.   I can tolerate her a little  more than her brother.  Why did Brandy hide from Brandi G? I get that she thought BG was being nosey and trying to spy on them, but why hide,  lol? 

Brandi and Dean... Can't stand Brandi! I have heard Dean was a nice man.  I understand he's a chef, so I can see why he's on here but really why subject yourself to BG and her low class behavior. 

I like Lance and his mom,  very sweet. 

Dice actually came across as likeable. I'm pretty surprised. 

Naomi Judd is exactly as she always comes across straight up nasty. Every show I've seen her on, she always seems like a terribly unhappy  human. 

• Love 2

I have a hard time taking this show seriously since it was published Brandi Glandville and Cat Cora hooked up.  Who could taste Cora's judgment if she is so inclined to hook up with this piece a rancid meat that is Brandi Glanville.    http://pagesix.com/2016/10/02/brandi-glanville-had-lesbian-fling-with-cooking-show-co-star/  Pretty much a foregone conclusion between Brandi being paired with a professional chef and having a fling with the judge who will win.

• Love 1

Oh Naomi.... last week she judged someone for making something she doesn't like (grits). This week because she's never had lamb, and she lives near a lot of sheep? Booo!

Of course, then the lamb was underdone, so it should have been scored low anyway.

• Love 1

I'm trying to give this show a chance because I love cooking shows, but between my strong dislike of Brandi Granville, and Brandy and her brother with over the top facial expressions at the table, and him trying way too hard to be funny in the talking head segments, its going to be hard to keep watching this. 

• Love 4

So next week Dice and his bride cook.  Score to be determined by the show's weird rating system.

Then is it worst against worst for an elimination?  I'm not really sure.

Naomi and Larry have one of the weirdest husband/wife dynamics I've seen lately.

Other than being famously cuckolded by LeAnn, does Dean have any restaurant credentials?  They said he went to culinary school.  (Not dissing him - he comes across as a pretty nice guy, along with Lance and mom.)  He and Brandi were really slammed this episode.  Manufactured drama?

I had no idea Cat Cora was so tiny.

• Love 2

I caught Dean on a CW show - Terry Crews Saves Christmas.  It was a fun show to watch and Dean did a good job helping people put together simple menus for Christmas entertaining.  He also came across as a really nice guy, with a good sense of humor. 

• Love 1

Is Dean gay?  Brandi said something about him being her "gay husband" (I hate that so much) then he said something about being outed at the table, he meant outed as a chef but she said nobody said he was gay. 

I'm confused. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, spiderpig said:

So next week Dice and his bride cook.  Score to be determined by the show's weird rating system.

Then is it worst against worst for an elimination?  I'm not really sure.

Naomi and Larry have one of the weirdest husband/wife dynamics I've seen lately.

Other than being famously cuckolded by LeAnn, does Dean have any restaurant credentials?  They said he went to culinary school.  (Not dissing him - he comes across as a pretty nice guy, along with Lance and mom.)  He and Brandi were really slammed this episode.  Manufactured drama?

I had no idea Cat Cora was so tiny.

Dean was a back up dancer who went to culinary school.

1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Is Dean gay?  Brandi said something about him being her "gay husband" (I hate that so much) then he said something about being outed at the table, he meant outed as a chef but she said nobody said he was gay. 

I'm confused. 

Dean remarried and then divorced after Leann.  I am curious where Dean and Brandi stand score wise.  Oops missed the episode.  I figure Brandi can't do too poorly since she and Cat Cora had a fling--nothing like integrity in judging.

12 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Dean remarried and then divorced after Leann.  I am curious where Dean and Brandi stand score wise.  Oops missed the episode.  I figure Brandi can't do too poorly since she and Cat Cora had a fling--nothing like integrity in judging.

I can see the spinoff now - "Dancing With The Chef".

Dang!  I would have thought Cat would have better taste in women.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I'm confused. 

I think it's just that Brandi is an asshole.

• Love 5
On 1/14/2017 at 0:48 PM, imjagain said:

Ray J is obnoxious! Brandy is also over the top.   I can tolerate her a little  more than her brother.  Why did Brandy hide from Brandi G? I get that she thought BG was being nosey and trying to spy on them, but why hide,  lol? 

Brandi and Dean... Can't stand Brandi! I have heard Dean was a nice man.  I understand he's a chef, so I can see why he's on here but really why subject yourself to BG and her low class behavior. 

I like Lance and his mom,  very sweet. 

Dice actually came across as likeable. I'm pretty surprised. 

Naomi Judd is exactly as she always comes across straight up nasty. Every show I've seen her on, she always seems like a terribly unhappy  human. 

Dice is a stage persona. The actual guy, Andrew, actually has mostly had a rep as a nice guy for most of his career. 

Women's groups used to protest against him as misogynistic, but the entire point of the stuff he said on stage about women was that "Dice" was a Neanderthal, and we were supposed to be laughing AT him and his attitude rather than taking what he said seriously.

Naomi Judd is just nasty, I agree, and it's apparently NOT an act with her. All the backstories about her match the stank attitude we see on screen.

Brandi falls into that Reality TV category of "professional bitches" (yes, I'm using that horrible word on purpose). The difference between her and Dice is that Dice always presented his nastier version as a put on persona. With the likes of Brandi, the nasty is all we see... even if at the same time we can also sense she's hyping stuff up and being mean on purpose to get camera time.

The Norwoods are just kind of useless and dumb. Brandy is really a huge has been, and Ray J really hasn't ever done anything other than stick his penis in Kim Kardashian and film it to prove he's worth anyone knowing about. They aren't malicious as much as just kind of... there.

Lance and his mom have a nice relationship, and it does seem like nothing is being put on for the cameras.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

I didn't even remember Cat was gay. I knew it at some point but forgot (because frankly it's pretty irrelevant to her on screen persona).

Brandi swinging every which way doesn't much surprise me.

Actually she and Cat having had a fling could go against her too. It depends I suppose on what the real "cameras are off" Brandi is like, I suppose.

I didn't know what to make of Dice's thing about looking at his girl. He really genuinely does have a rep as a decent guy off-camera, so I wonder if that was for the camera. But if so, he didn't take it very far. I mean it lasted all of 15 seconds of screentime. Big deal.

Naomi continues to annoy the hell out of me. Unlike even Brandi, and sometimes Dice, I rarely to never get the impression she's putting attitude on for the camera. I'm not saying she doesn't HAVE an attitude. She has a gigantic one. But it never seems acted. It seems like it's really her, IMO.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

Dice is a stage persona. The actual guy, Andrew, actually has mostly had a rep as a nice guy for most of his career. 

Women's groups used to protest against him as misogynistic, but the entire point of the stuff he said on stage about women was that "Dice" was a Neanderthal, and we were supposed to be laughing AT him and his attitude rather than taking what he said seriously.

OMG, I had a big argument with two women about this once. It all started because I said that I find Margaret Cho to be crass and not at all funny, and they insisted I would like it if she was a man. No, I wouldn't.

Somehow the conversation turned to Andrew Dice Clay, and how misogynistic his comedy was. I stared at them blankly for a minute, and then one of the women started to explain what misogyny is, thinking that I didn't understand because of the look of confusion on my face, when I interrupted her and exclaimed, "That's the point! How do you not see that is the entire point? Is this some bizarro world? That. Is. The. ENTIRE. point!!!" But, as far as they were concerned, I was the idiot in that exchange. Looking back, it was a bit idiotic to argue with someone who insisted they knew me better than I knew myself, so they were partially right.

Dice's wife seems nice so far.  Naomi is a miserable person. Naomi's husband is a special kind of man. 

I think I do remember reading something about Cat Cora and Brandi G.  I'm not shocked its out there, because if BG hooks up with anyone even a little famous she talks about it. I am curious if this was during the show?

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

I caught part of the second episode.  It's ok.  Not great, but it doesn't look like a long season, so I'll probably continue watching.  Random thoughts:  didn't the singer Brandy and LeAnn Rimes have a pact as youngsters that they would stick together and make sure the industry didn't mess them up and turn them into train wrecks or something???  I thought I read that in a People magazine article featuring Brandy many (over a decade) years ago.  And aren't Lance Bass and Lisa Vanderpump friends or something?  Is this supposed to be some sort of "six degrees of separation" show?  Or maybe it's just that Hollywood is a really small town? 

I vaguely remember when the twitter warfares of Brandi and LeAnn was newsworthy, someone tweeted to LeAnn about Dean being gay to which she replied, "No comment!"  He got upset with her about it.  So, there have been rumors, I suppose.  I've always gotten that vibe from him myself and his second wife gave me lesbian vibes, but it took me forever to realize that my own brother is gay, so my radar isn't worth much, I'd say!  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, imjagain said:

Dice's wife seems nice so far.  Naomi is a miserable person. Naomi's husband is a special kind of man. 

I think I do remember reading something about Cat Cora and Brandi G.  I'm not shocked its out there, because if BG hooks up with anyone even a little famous she talks about it. I am curious if this was during the show?

I agree Naomi is something else.  I like her husband.  Brandy is ok but a little uneducated and Ray J is just nasty but both have better manners than Brandi G.  I really like Lance and his mom.  I like Dice's wife/gf? I've never really liked him.

Looked up the Brandi and Cat thing.  Interesting the affair went on while filming the show.

I think a fair way to do the show would be to only have the judges scores at each meal and keep the other teams scores for the elimination night.  The way it is now they are just scoring low to stay in the game.  I thought Lance and his mom are giving true scores at each dinner.  They seem to be a class act.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 4

Didn't Brandi say something about there being her Parmesan topper, surprise or whatever in their dreary appetizer?  I am wondering is she was too busy hamming it up for the cameras and forgot to make it or she made it and screwed it up.  I am assuming it is just a typical parmesan cracker thing that takes just a couple of minutes.

17 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I agree Naomi is something else.  I like her husband.  Brandy is ok but a little uneducated and Ray J is just nasty but both have better manners than Brandi G.  I really like Lance and his mom.  I like Dice's wife/gf? I've never really liked him.

Looked up the Brandi and Cat thing.  Interesting the affair went on while filming the show.

I think a fair way to do the show would be to only have the judges scores at each meal and keep the other teams scores for the elimination night.  The way it is now they are just scoring low to stay in the game.  I thought Lance and his mom are giving true scores at each dinner.  They seem to be a class act.

I think once you have competed there is no bonus is giving a high score to a competitor.  The judges seem to be pretty low scorers.   

• Love 1
On 1/22/2017 at 3:33 PM, zoeysmom said:

Didn't Brandi say something about there being her Parmesan topper, surprise or whatever in their dreary appetizer?  I am wondering is she was too busy hamming it up for the cameras and forgot to make it or she made it and screwed it up.  I am assuming it is just a typical parmesan cracker thing that takes just a couple of minutes.

I think once you have competed there is no bonus is giving a high score to a competitor.  The judges seem to be pretty low scorers.   

She did make them.  Not sure they made it on the plate.  There was aluminum foil on the kitchen counter that had circular blobs on it and that's what they were.  I don't really feel that this is a true game show or contest.  It's more like "The Surreal Life Does Dinner Parties".  Although I never actually watched the Surreal Life so my assessment may be off base.  I believe all the drama and conversations are scripted.  I feel that this is a cheap mid season filler kind of show.  I'm not sure anyone cares to improve it.  I guess if there is another season, we will find out.  My kids like cooking shows and I get sick of kiddie television sometimes.  So, this works for us.

Andrew Dice Clay and wife Valerie Silverstein serve spaghetti and meatballs, but Valerie's forced to pick up the slack when Andrew shows off his famed jackets to the guests. Also: the two lowest-scoring teams take part in a sudden death cook-off.

David Arquette hosts the next battle, which pits Brandi Glanville and Dean Sheremet against Brandy and Ray J. The two teams must create three dishes at the same time while sharing the same kitchen.

Kelly Osbourne and her friends host a dinner party that pits Lance and Diane against Dice and Val, but instead of competing against each other the teams strategize on how to work together in order to remain in the competition.

Brandy and Ray J are probably going to be the reason I quit watching this show. Their constant over-the-top reactions to every little thing make this largely unwatchable. It was completely obvious which team made which dish, and if they didn't know, it shows that they are too dumb to be in this competition. 

I really like the Australian version, and would like to see this make it here with average people, so I want to support it and not hate watch it. The rest are fine and I can deal with the fact Brandi and Cat had a relationship during filming until it becomes obvious that it affects her judging, but Brandy and Ray J making faces, fake fainting, and I think he was trying to rap, not really sure what was happening there, is too much to tolerate. They are obnoxious. Everyone else at the table were laughing and joking so I guess they knew they would get more face time by being negative.

I think she used to be a singer and maybe a Disney or Nickelodeon actress, but don't know what he does or what they do now, but know I don't want to watch them in anything else. Being more obnoxious than Brandi Glanville, who I thought was going to be the worst person on this show, followed by Naomi Judd, is quite a feat. I'm glad Naomi is gone, though. They were clearly out of their depths and she is a negative person when it comes to judging the others.

• Love 3

This episode reinforced what I remember from the very brief Dice reality show a few years ago--that Valerie is a really sweet person, and Dice totally dotes on her. He tosses in the occasional Caveman line, like "don't boss me around because my friends are going to see this", but you pretty much know that's largely him putting on his stage persona a tiny bit to create a moment for the camera.

For all that Ray J (and to a lesser degree Brandy) acted kind of... stank-ish... I still think Brandi with an I is FAR worse. As for Naomi... good riddance. What a nasty piece of work she is. Even her "nice" bits have a (w)itchy aura, like she's got a sharp comment on her tongue just barely being held back. She throws more shade than a Beach umbrella.

I want Dice and Valerie to win, but would be perfectly happy with Lance and his Mom too. The rest of them can go stuff themselves like some of those mushrooms we saw.

• Love 10

I came here to post my thoughts but Christina and Kromm, you expressed everything I was thinking perfectly!  Good riddance to Nasty Naomi. If only we could have had a triple elimination and gotten rid of Brandi, Brandy and Ray Jay. Lance and his mom and Valerie were and are the only likable people on this show. Never cared for Dice.  Rooting for Lance and his mom.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 4

Dean was captioned as "Fitness Expert" this time, so I guess that's what he does.  I still kinda like him.  Brandi - a big NOT, especially leaning over in those shorts.

Naomi is so creepy in a Chuckie doll sort of way.  That kewpie-doll face packed with fillers is the stuff of nightmares.  I wouldn't be so mean about her looks, but she is such a spiteful, nasty person that I think her true personality is reflected in her artificially enhanced face, with a constant expression as if she'd just sucked on a lemon.

How'd she ever land Nice Guy Larry anyway?

The Norwoods are very off-putting with their constant mugging.  They both come across as dense, and I don't think it's an act.

I'm fine with Valerie and Dice (nice house, too), but I'm pulling for Lance and Mom because they're so darned cute together.

• Love 3

Fried chicken is absolutely a main dish. Chicken and waffles is also a main dish in the South. It's practically a staple. 

I mean, high end restaurants and diners both serve them. So shut up, Cat Cora.

• Love 1

Did David Arquette marry Courtney Cox's twin sister?

Brandy and Ray Jay, I just can't anymore with the eye bugging and over the top facial expressions. Chili and Fritos apppetizer, and box cake mix and canned peaches dessert. Way to impress.

I like Valerie, but that hairdo was bizarre.

• Love 10

Oh Brandy and Ray J... that appetizer looked awful. And even if it had been hot and tasted okay, it's a bar snack, not a dinner party app!!! Terrible idea. As for the dessert, I could forgive the canned peaches if everything else was homemade.

When I was kid, we often still had blueberries in our backyard when the apples started coming, Curtis. What a strange comment!

• Love 1

David's wife had the most gorgeous shiny hair.  I kept looking at it and going "Grrrr".  She seemed sweet and fun.

I wished Brandi had sneaked around their house this episode.  I'm a sucker for asymmetrical architecture, and the exteriors made the place look interesting.  Do you think they use real kitchens or cut to a set?

The Norwoods can Pack Their Knives And Go anytime, thank you very much indeed.

• Love 4

I thought I remembered hearing that David had an alcohol problem. He appeared to be knocking them back last night. That's a shame-I like him. (No problem with drinking, unless it's a problem for the other person.)