Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E06: The Truth Works Well

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, green said:

I can't really believe any millennium thinks they will all be together at the merge.  That is not possible.  No such mega-alliance has ever worked unless headed by Boston Rob.  And original tribes have long ago dissolved by merge time anyway. 

Ahem, Kim Spradlin.  Even the entire other tribe was in her mega-alliance, split-voting in case of the idol which Kim secretly had herself.

3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

And I kind of don't blame her for yelling at Hannah - the way Hannah kept kicking her leg out when she was trying to keep her balance was screwing with the puzzle. Which I know Hannah wasn't doing on purpose, but still, frustrating.

Seeing a lot of this but actually it was Michelle who was doing the leg kicking.

10 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

When the teams started doing the maze portion of the challenge, my thought was that you can't have both people control the maze, they will overdo it.  They need to have one person in charge and the other just helping carry the weight.  Michaela instantly realized this, Hannah didn't - neither did the tribe that got there first and finished last.

And that's why I felt for Hannah in that challenge -- because I don't think that she didn't listen to Michaela.  I think she was doing exactly what Michaela said.  It's like my brother when he needs my help fixing things, or playing a game when we're on the same team; he always yells at me when I'm doing exactly what he's telling me to do.  It's not that he means to be impossible; it's just that he assumes that if I was doing it right then things wouldn't be going wrong.  I think Hannah was holding it steady, and when Michaela made a mistake she assumed that Hannah was doing it wrong, so she would yell at her, but Hannah wasn't doing it wrong.  I never saw her do anything but hold it steady as she could.  They were both excited by the challenge and frustrated with each other.

But I don't think either of them had any real hard feelings.  Michaela was really telling Jeff to STFU and prefaced it by saying how much she loves Hannah.  I don't think it was bad social game, and I didn't get the impression Hannah was really hurt by her frustration any more than Michaela was by hers.  Go Hannah/Michaela odd-couple team-up!

• Love 6

Did anyone see that bit with Jimmy Kimmel where he interviewed 5-year olds about the presidential election, and when he asked the little girl if the little boy was her boyfriend she screamed and said Nooooooooo! That's what Figgy and Taylor remind me of. They remind me of five-year olds playing boyfriend and girlfriend.

I'm always a fan of the face-saving message where the recently booted says some iteration of "It's lucky for them I lost because I was just about to win!"

OK, I'll be the one to pose this never-ending, asked-every-season question this year: how the hell did Hannah make it past the screening process? She wasn't even doing anything, she was just sitting there watching a challenge. Holy crap. The show must have searched far and wide for this one.

I honestly don't know how David made it this far, he is utterly useless. Nor do I understand why the show spends so much time on him. I can only guess he'll be one of the final three.

And Michaela might be one of the final three as well but she's not going to win. By the time she's gotten there she'll have pissed off everyone at some point.

• Love 2

Why do people like Michelle so much?  Sure, she's good at puzzles and she's smart, but so are some other players.  To me, she's just "meh."

Am I the only one who kind of likes Chris?  Sure, he's a bit arrogant, but he's this gigantic red-haired super-strong guy who may go a long way with individual immunity challenges if he lasts until later in the game. (Actually, his name should be Finn McCool.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Am I the only one who kind of likes Chris?  Sure, he's a bit arrogant, but he's this gigantic red-haired super-strong guy who may go a long way with individual immunity challenges if he lasts until later in the game. (Actually, his name should be Finn McCool.)

Nope. You're not alone. And he's totally Finn McCool! No, there's something about Chris that I like. I don't even find him all that arrogant. I think he's just a confident, straight forward person. I wasn't sure about him at first, but I softened on him after seeing him buddy up with Zeke. I don't think it was just strategy or enjoying being fawned over. I felt like they developed a real connection based on common interests and backgrounds. But they're so different, which makes it more fun. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, blackwing said:

She cryptically says that a "real life situation" led to her and Taylor not being together.  Not exactly sure what that means, but since she says "you will find out on the reunion show"

Oh, the suspense!!!  How can we stand the wait??? </sarcasm>

11 minutes ago, Dominii said:

Actually, his name should be Finn McCool

I kind of like him too.  And Finn McCool is the greatest name in mythology.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I honestly don't know how David made it this far, he is utterly useless. Nor do I understand why the show spends so much time on him. I can only guess he'll be one of the final three.

And Michaela might be one of the final three as well but she's not going to win. By the time she's gotten there she'll have pissed off everyone at some point.

Agree re David.  He is absolutely useless and yet the show is fixated on him.  He has an idol and maybe he will use it to great advantage.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he is in the final three given all of the time the show spends on him. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Michaela makes it there too.  Although I kind of disagree that she has torpedoed her chances.  I keep going back to Tony Vlachos and Tyson Apostol.  In each of their seasons, they openly and brazenly controlled the game and engineered most of the votes.  And people voted for them to win anyways.  They won because the people they took to the finals (the utter blank slate airhead Woo and the do-nothing Monica Culpepper and Gervase) were lapdogs and everyone knew it.  I think Michaela is articulate and could make a good argument for herself if she makes it to the finals.  One thing that seems consistent over the years is that the jury can be bitter about being voted out, but they hate to reward someone who road coattails and didn't do anything, because that would indicate the jury members got beat by someone who was bad at the game.  For another example, look at the lack of votes for Jacqueline and Missy in San Juan Del Sur.  The jury rewarded Natalie Anderson, even though I don't think they really liked her all that much.

Even though Survivor has been on for years, I will never be able to figure out their editing.  Logic would say that the people who have been given the most airtime exposure so far (arguably, David, Michaela, Adam, Taylor) will make it far.  There are some people (Sunday and I think his name is Will?  Young longish hair blond guy) that are barely even registering.  Logic would say that if they were going to win, surely we would know who they are by now, 6 weeks in.  But who knows.  

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, blackwing said:

She cryptically says that a "real life situation" led to her and Taylor not being together.  Not exactly sure what that means, but since she says "you will find out on the reunion show"... I'm assuming she's pregnant.  Or he's gay.  Or something that isn't nearly as interesting as she seems to think it is.  I love how she says that she was strategising and Taylor brought her down.  When was she ever strategising?  She is delusional.

Maybe one of them realized that the smell the other one gave off wasn't a side effect being in a hot, humid climate with no showers for 2 weeks, 

42 minutes ago, Dominii said:

Why do people like Michelle so much?  Sure, she's good at puzzles and she's smart, but so are some other players.  To me, she's just "meh."

I like her, but I don't see her as some genius.  Of course, she hasn't had another chance to go to TC and strategize, so we'll see when that time comes.  She's nice, but that's about all I can say right now.

Okay, Figgy is just plain delusional.  Sure, the showmance will probably be addressed, but the tone I got was she acts like it's going to be some big topic.  I'm sure by that point Probst will have a ton of other stuff to talk about.  And of course, the time to talk to other Survivors in the audience, plus whatever singer decides to crash the stage and take up 15 minutes donating money to their favorite Survivor's charity, isn't going to leave much time to talk about FigTayls.  And who knows, Taylor may spill before then.

Figgy thinks she's Boston Rob?  Okaaay...even with 4 chances and a cast like RI she still wouldn't win.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Archery said:

While there is certainly a successful archetype of the player with a good "social game" (whatever that is) on Survivor, that is not to say that it is the only winning approach. Perhaps this group of people might look at Michaela and see someone who is strong, physical, patient, committed, hard-working, and no-BS -- a what you see is what you get straight-shooter who isn't going to lie to their faces and back stab them.  Perhaps there is value in that, and they'll respect it, especially when she's right (re: the 3 Millennials v the 2 GenXers).  Personally, I have no problem with her "barking" at Hannah; they could not both be controlling the table, and Hannah was breaking Michaela's concentration.  I also don't think it would be such an issue if it were two men trying to get through that part of the challenge. 

Agreed. If that had been Boston Rob controlling the maze and barking at whoever was helping him, it would just be called competing aggressively. 

She cryptically says that a "real life situation" led to her and Taylor not being together.  Not exactly sure what that means, but since she says "you will find out on the reunion show"

Ugh, and knowing Jeff's infatuation with young, attractive people, this means we're going to have to sit through a prolonged segment with a woman who was voted out pre-merge about a relationship that nobody really cares about. And really, did anyone think they WOULD be together in real life? This was a relationship of convenience and I'm willing to bet that if Taylor had gone home, Figgy would have been sidling up to Ken within hours of his departure. 

OK, I'll be the one to pose this never-ending, asked-every-season question this year: how the hell did Hannah make it past the screening process? She wasn't even doing anything, she was just sitting there watching a challenge. Holy crap. The show must have searched far and wide for this one.

My guess is they noted Aubry's popularity last season and were trying to cast a similar character. But Hannah seems far more awkward than Aubry ever was. 

I give Hannah some credit for going out there at all, I have suffered occasional panic attacks and I know that Survivor is not a place I'd ever want to go. The complete lack of distraction most of the time, long nights, nature elements plus the social elements would be overwhelming. 

• Love 7

David doing challenges is maybe my favorite Survivor thing ever.

YES! Several times now, I've questioned whether he's The Mole, then had to remind myself that was a different TV show. David is just so good at throwing challenges. I'm sure the Survivor producers are thrilled. He's slapstick comedy gold, plus an interesting strategist.

• Love 12

Yeah the rumor that has been swirling around is that Taylor is either married or has a steady girlfriend at the same time he was "dating"  Figgy after the game. It might explain why she called him a "little bitch" in her exit interview with Gordon Holmes. Anyway the other little tidbit from that EW interview is her claim that Michaela was specifically trying to screw her over at the IC by helping out Vanua that had her and Michelle been switched she still would have cheered on and helped Michelle to win.

• Love 2

Why do people like Michelle so much? 

She pulled off a pretty impressive move when she got Mari evicted instead of Figgy. But the show doesn't seem to be too interested in her. We're not really seeing much in the way of confessionals, like we do with Figgy, Taylor, Adam, Jay and Michaela. I don't like Michelle's chances of making it too far, or even making much of a difference in the game from here on out. 

Air time does not always signal that a player goes far into the game.  Entertainment is first on the list and David is supplying interesting footage on that front!

Lack of air time is generally a bad omen for players though. Anyone really think Sunday is going to get very far?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

Well, I had lots of other points to make but they seem to have run their course...

So I will just state something I just remembered and that was Ken in the blindfolded challenge walking with one arm guarding his umm 'groin' and another reaching about for obstacles. Cracked me up every time I saw it. He's seen this challenge run before methinks.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Well, I had lots of other points to make but they seem to have run their course...

So I will just state something I just remembered and that was Ken in the blindfolded challenge walking with one arm guarding his umm 'groin' and another reaching about for obstacles. Cracked me up every time I saw it. He's seen this challenge run before methinks.

And still he took a pole to the crotch twice, once bad enough to send him toppling over.  

I guess the puzzle makers are as taken with the flying foxes as many of us are, to make the blindfolded puzzle a simple line painting of one of them (I do get that a long bit of text or a complicated tribal motif would have been very difficult for the puzzle figurer/caller to decipher and direct).

Taylor sure had a Michael Phelps glare at the end of tribal there.  I laughed.  

The interview where Figgy likens herself incessantly to Rob and Taylor to Amber?  Does she remember which one won on the season they actually shared?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Yes.  All day, every day, yes.  Especially about the laughing and covering her face and fake humility.  "OMG, Jeff, are you saying that Tayls and I are so adorbs that we should like get married right here at Tribal?!  Like really?  No way!  But you really think we should?  OMG, I'm so embarrassed by this attention on how amazeballs I am!"  Haaaaaaaaaate.  But god, it was worth sitting through that to see how quickly she got knocked down to earth by the vote.  The crying on her way out was just gravy.

I'm not taken in by Figgy's joie de vivre and big toothy sunshiny smile. She seemed to beam and be most joyful when she was threatening other players she perceived as weaker (such as Adam), reminding them that they crossed her, making smug pronouncements about how if you vote for her then you go home and how she's part of this awesome power couple who will send you home if you don't vote with them. Adam absolutely did the right thing. I was nervous as hell that Ken was going home when Adam said that the person he was voting for was someone he genuinely liked. Figgy's bouncy, giggly, happy-go-lucky act is just that to me -- an act covering up a manipulative phony. She's good at it, though, I bet she gets through life very well being like that.

Michaela is blunt as hell but I don't get any meanness or malice from it and I don't find her manipulative in the slightest -- probably will be a downfall of hers in this game. I get that from Figgy despite all her grinning, giggling, and ~sparkly~ personality.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I guess the puzzle makers are as taken with the flying foxes as many of us are, to make the blindfolded puzzle a simple line painting of one of them (I do get that a long bit of text or a complicated tribal motif would have been very difficult for the puzzle figurer/caller to decipher and direct).

Taylor sure had a Michael Phelps glare at the end of tribal there.  I laughed.  

The interview where Figgy likens herself incessantly to Rob and Taylor to Amber?  Does she remember which one won on the season they actually shared?

I thought the puzzle was a bat, in honor of the ep airing in late Oct.  Ha.

Good point about Amber winning.  Also, Rob was the besotted little puppy in their season, not Amber.  

17 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

@azshadowwalker

<snip>Honestly tho Jeff was super obnoxious tonight.  I never say this, but I really felt he was interfering too much in things today.  Maybe he always pulls shit like this wedding nonsense and it's usually cut, but I was really surprised by it.  I felt like he really had it in for Figgy all episode; perhaps he feels the way y'all do, and wanted to get rid of her.  I don't mind the calling out of the reaction face that much -- should be easy enough to sidestep, which Figgy completely failed to do -- but that tribal bit was crazy town.  Shut up Probst! <snip>

A few years ago, I used to rail against Probst and I made many posts explaining that I really despised the jerk and despised the way in which he hosted this show. It was all a big waste of time however, since he is the Exec Producer, there was very little that my complaining could ever accomplish but after reading all the negative comments that all of you have made in this thread, it all comes back to me and I feel the need to try and explain my POV as to why he is so terrible.

IMHO, a few years before Survivor ever became popular, Probst had a very mediocre life and did not seem to be very happy with his tiny life in the TV entertainment business. He was a very small fish in a very large ocean. But then, when Survivor became massively popular, his life changed in a way that very few of us will ever experience. He changed. He used to be sitting at the bottom of the world and all of a sudden, he was sitting on top of the world. I suppose that I have to admit to the truth and say that when I think about the way in which his life changed, I have to admit to being full of envy. Who would not envy his life and the way in which he became so massively wealthy and happy producing this show? Of course, in a way, one could say he just got incredibly lucky. He didn't create this show. He just hopped on board of Mark Brunett's idea and rode Brunett's idea into a huge success.

At any rate, it seems to me that his whole life became entwined with Survivor. He just ate, drank and slept Survivor. He keeps repeating this show is just the most wonderful thing that ever happened on this planet or any other planet. I have to wonder just what he will do when the show is cancelled. Seems to me, he may very well figure that when this show is over, his life will be over. I don't know that for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if when the show is cancelled, he will go into a terrible tail spin and depression. After all, he has tried to do other things in the past but how could anyone ever even approach the level of success this show has achieved?

So, when he says things like, "Nothing will bring out the true nature of peoples' character like Survivor!", it seems like he really believes that and that he believes this show is just the biggest and best and most important thing that has ever happened - not only in his life - but also in the history of the world. He really believes that Surivior is the most important thing to ever happen in this world.

So ... who knows what will happen when the show is cancelled? I sure don't know. But I wouldn't look forward to living Probst's life after the show is cancelled. Truth is, I would fear for his future. Of course, if the show continues to be as entertaining as last night's episode, it may very well continue for years to come. I found last night's episode to be enormously entertaining and I will continue to watch for as long as they can maintain that wonderful level of entertainment. Of course, I do tune out to much of what Probst has to say. But over the past few years, I have found that much of what he says has become very entertaining. Mostly because he behaves like such a jerk, it is very entertaining to see him make such a fool of himself.

I know that many of you will not agree with my opinions. But I thought last night's show was just one of the very best I've seen in recent history. If they can continue to produce shows with that level of entertainment, I can't imagine when this show will be cancelled.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Seeing a lot of this but actually it was Michelle who was doing the leg kicking.

My eyes must have been playing tricks on me, I totally thought it was Hannah.  Thanks for the correction!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Flying Foxes are bats--that's just common name for that type (several species), presumably because they are large and furry and have a more fox-like face than the normal run of bats.  They're what we've been seeing in varying numbers in every episode and there's also one flying along in the opening credits.

• Love 3

Michaela is friggin' awesome, and maturely reined it in post-challenge to hug Hannah - fantastic move. David is just inexplicable, but hilarious to watch. Did I miss a TH where he mentioned wearing hearing aids? I am quite happy to be enjoying this season.

Ken finally reveals a super-dry sense of humor - he honestly had me going with the fake-out surprise. Adam FTW for saving my season's eye candy. I am filled with envy for Jess' position, that lucky, lucky lady. Ken, babe, I too am a former ADA, but with better back ink and never a case of pink eye. If you're in the market for an off-island "partnership", look me up.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Never forget: The producers/editors know how the show turns out and present the episodes accordingly.

• Love 1

I love (sarcastically love) how people have already decided that Michaela is too blunt and that will cost her in this game / she sucks at this game even though we've seen zero evidence of it so far.  It will just make me root for her more.  People are so scared of bluntness it's hilarious.

Michaela reminds me of an old coworker of mine, a 77-year-old woman who told you exactly what she thought. She could be a bit sharp, but she wasn't mean, and I really liked her, possibly because I've dealt with waaay too many passive-aggressive types. You knew where she stood. She wasn't going to pretend to like someone and then talk trash about them behind their back. I think if you give Michaela a few years and some more social experience, that may be how she ends up.

simplyme, I am simply you.  The passive aggressive types scare me the most.  Give me bluntness any time night or day.  Directness feels less manipulative, less guileful.  Half of my family uses English as a second language and I find them more blunt than the others I think because they don't bother to couch their language in floweryness, or maybe it's a cultural thing.  I love it.  

I have had one panic attack also, ghoulina.  It was in college.  I won't forget it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

When the season started, I thought Ken was your typical himbo.  Hot but not much in the way of brains.  But now we find he has a sense of humour, is kind (trying to explain at tribal to Taylor how his lack of answer might be hurting Figgy's feelings) and he's been hurt by people who concentrated on his looks and not who he was.  

He's my favourite and I was worried that Mr. Swing Vote wouldn't swing the right way, LOL

And note to Figgy, no one voted you out because you were such a threat to win.  It was to break up a power couple.  And you are irritating.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Hahaha.  One of the funniest things about this episode that I totally forgot about because the episode on the whole was just so good.

• Love 3

Ken finally reveals a super-dry sense of humor 

And he was the one who wrote "Figaroo," oddly enough. I would have guessed Adam. He's an odd duck, Ken. I've yet to discern much in the way of personality to be honest.

• Love 1

This is just my wag, but I think Ken and Michaela would be an awesome duo. Both are great at challenges, and Ken could soften Michaela's bluntness. It seems she's invested in being a millennial, but Ken offers her a lot more than Zeke or Jay. Girlfriend needs to wake up though, and take out Michelle. She is not your friend, and if you want that money, get rid of her now.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And he was the one who wrote "Figaroo," oddly enough. I would have guessed Adam. He's an odd duck, Ken. I've yet to discern much in the way of personality to be honest.

IMHO, Ken has a terrific intellect. Did you hear what he said about what Figgy expected to hear from Taylor in response to Probst's marriage suggestion?

That was really quite amazing. Extremely knowledgeable and intelligent. What a brain!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

But I wouldn't look forward to living Probst's life after the show is cancelled. Truth is, I would fear for his future.

Not me.  Jeff has a happy marriage, stepchildren, a beautiful house, other career interests and a ton of money.  He will finally have the time to do exactly what he wants without spending months of the year away from his home and family.  He's written books, hosted a talk show, albeit short-lived ... he'll be ok.  

He's an enthusiastic supporter of the show right now and why shouldn't he be?  It's a great show and he does a good job of it, despite his sometimes annoying diatribes in the game.  I'll take that over the blank slate that is Phil Keoghan.  

23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

.  People are so scared of bluntness it's hilarious.

I'm not scared of bluntness, I'm turned off by rudeness and entitled behavior.  If she's so blunt, why couldn't she give Figgy one reason for disliking her when Figgy asked?  She evaded the question and just kept insulting her instead of answering.  That's not blunt.  

5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

One possibility regarding David.  I have severe tinnitus.  When someone is talking to me, I have to look at them and focus on them carefully, because I have to hear them over the dentist drilling sound in my head.  When I'm in a room full of people (restaurant, e.g.), all voices come across as the same volume to me, so it's hard to pick out ONE person and listen to them.  I even wear headphones in the movie theater so if anyone around me is talking during the movie, it doesn't distract me from the dialog on screen.  I am also unable to hear certain ranges of tones.  There are definitely some physical reasons why David couldn't hear.

(Obviously my case is different than yours, but, this reminded me:)  I am always looking at people's mouths when they speak and I have this idea it helps my hearing and comprehension by like 50%.  Who knows if this is the case.  Whenever somebody speaks to me and covers their mouth somehow, I'm always thinking, show me your mouth!  I think I lipread.  Anyway this is my way of saying I bet you that I would be David in that challenge and it would suck haha.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I forgot about that.Yes, I assumed that was Adam and was surprised when they showed the votes being given! Ken just keeps surprising me. There is a playful side to all that seriousness. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't think Michaela has anything in common with Sandra or Rob.  If you watch most past winners in hindsight, they had amazing and subtle personal skills, in one on one interactions and in group settings.  They would be snarky as hell in confessionals if they felt like it but in camp they treated people with respect, unless it was someone who it suited their game to be contemptuous to, like Russell.  They genuinely appeared sincere at all times with their tribe mates, even when they were lying.  

Michaela has no poker face or inner editor.  Look at her face when she sees that the boys have an idol.  She's pissed and she lets the boys see it.  Why show that?  They're millennials, they're on your side.  Pretend to be happy for them, at least.  Of course they're not going to use it on you if you act like they're your enemy.  

I can only speak for me - I have "my face will do whatever it wants to do, regardless of what I want it to" face. maybe this is Michalea. Like I don't really get the sense that she's rude, or wants to be rude, or anything like that. She just doesn't mince words - I don't fault her for that. And I don't think it's hurting her game. If she hid it or tried to be saccharine sweet it will come off as fake. and then that's where she could get in trouble. No one has an issue with her (I think the only glitch was when the M's first went to the tribal and she was on the bottom and she had to work w/Figgy even though she didn't want to) Since then we didn't even see a hint of trouble, and - it never ever once came across that it was due to her attitude.

In her new tribe, everyone loves Micheala. Maybe we'll get a confessional about how blunt she is, or something come merge time. But the thing is, Michalea is being sincere at all times. She's also just saying whatever needs to be said. and to quote Michelle "Sometimes the Truth just works well." We'll have to see how it works out. 

For me, Sandra, especially in the first season,was not subtle with some of her reactions. Some of this came from listening to the commentaries, and having AMAs with Sandra but she was like she shot her mouth off to everyone. But she did it with a smile. She was mean to Jon and Russel - but the reason they didn't go after her was that she was all snarky to everyone else (and she wasn't a threat). . So it wasn't a "Why are you coming off at me, etc etc" it's "Oh. that's just Sandra." like the woman made an entire poem to how nasty and lazy Jon was  (which was edited out to "He does not even wash a dish, or even clean a fish". because it was so full of F-bombs it couldn't come on air). She was really the first winner (for me) who truly played like she gave zero crap about what people cared about her, or what she said - because she was "anyone but her.. Rob 1.0 (and 2.0) was sort of the same way. 2.0 Rob was ruthless as hell (which hurt his game), but 1.0 especially was smart-assy to heck.

Michalea shoots her mouth to Hannah, (to calm her down, to be blunt whatever - I didn't get the bullying, especially because if it appears if you're 'soft' with Hannah she'll need to constantly explain her opinion and explain why she's doing what she's doing. they didn't have time for that). Jeff asks a dumb question - Michalea is like whatever it's bugging me I'll deal with it. Taylor goes but there's M's here too, Michaela says what we're all saying "if you're smart you should be able to pick off Ken + Jess, you shouldn't have to need my help." 

I never got the point she was pissed off, she was like hey i'll keep my mouth quiet, but if I think you'll screw me over, I'll screw you first.

but YMMV. I mean I love Michalea, but I can get why people don't like her. just like I didn't like Figgy - but can see why people do

4 hours ago, Dominii said:

nope. I like Chris. (aka Gingerhead). he's not bugging me (except for his whole "harumph, you voted my pal, i'll burn you." attitude he had in the episode where David had to save jessica). 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I forgot about that.Yes, I assumed that was Adam and was surprised when they showed the votes being given! Ken just keeps surprising me. There is a playful side to all that seriousness. 

This brings up an interesting thing though - I know there's editing reaction shots are rarely actual reaction shots but Figaroo was the last vote read out, right? So Ken would have known he was safe once as soon as he saw the second vote for Figgy, knowing his own vote was still to come. I know the last person to have their vote read out would always know the outcome before Jeff reveals it, but given he was the other target, that's some good pokerface. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, MissEwa said:

This brings up an interesting thing though - I know there's editing reaction shots are rarely actual reaction shots but Figaroo was the last vote read out, right? So Ken would have known he was safe once as soon as he saw the second vote for Figgy, knowing his own vote was still to come. I know the last person to have their vote read out would always know the outcome before Jeff reveals it, but given he was the other target, that's some good pokerface. 

that's true. like if that were me I'd be like OH THANK GOD I'M SAFE!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, huahaha said:

YES! Several times now, I've questioned whether he's The Mole, then had to remind myself that was a different TV show.

Oh man, I miss The Mole!

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Lack of air time is generally a bad omen for players though. Anyone really think Sunday is going to get very far?

Sure. I think it's possible. There have been players with little airtime that have made it decently far in the game.

4 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

Michaela is blunt as hell but I don't get any meanness or malice from it and I don't find her manipulative in the slightest -- probably will be a downfall of hers in this game.

This. Honestly Michaela doesn't seem strategic to me at all. She's playing a purely physical/social game. And this kinda made me think she's similar to Cydney, who was also very competitive and people liked her, but she wasn't a particularly strategic/manipulative player.

4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Me too!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I don't know about in terms of Survivor, but Ken would definitely be dangerous in a romantic relationship. When Figgy seemed up for letting Peachy marry her and Taylor and Taylor's response was *blank stare*, Ken's description of what Figgy needed to hear from him was frightening because it was, in some ways, an annoying, mansplaining talk on Here Is What Women Want, but at the same time he was able to sell it because he either is or can successfully fake being empathetic and sensitive and also, well, his face.

It's just so beautiful.

No matter the outcome of this game, he's going to go down in history as one of the better looking contestants we've seen I think.  I'm always on the hunt for the eye candy and this guy took six episodes to really pop for me I guess.  

I noticed Taylor and Figgy this episode, finally.  But Figgy's not my type.  I think Michelle is really good-looking.  Sometimes I forget; maybe she's just good at being able to "hide" herself a la Jeremy on SJDS.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

She just doesn't mince words - I don't fault her for that. And I don't think it's hurting her game.

I thought the recap made a good point in asking how her tribe would react if she behaved the way she did (with Hannah) and they lost anyway. I'm warming up to her - I thought it was funny when she was narrating how she came upon Jay and Will with the idol with "Watcha got there??" - LOL. But - she's abrasive, no matter how you spin it. Whether people mind or not may be a matter of context. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love (sarcastically love) how people have already decided that Michaela is too blunt and that will cost her in this game / she sucks at this game even though we've seen zero evidence of it so far.  It will just make me root for her more.  People are so scared of bluntness it's hilarious.

simplyme, I am simply you.  The passive aggressive types scare me the most.  Give me bluntness any time night or day.  Directness feels less manipulative, less guileful.  Half of my family uses English as a second language and I find them more blunt than the others I think because they don't bother to couch their language in floweryness, or maybe it's a cultural thing.  I love it.  

I have had one panic attack also, ghoulina.  It was in college.  I won't forget it.

Blunt is so much easier to cope with than passive-aggressive or evasive.  I can forgive a lot of plain speaking if I don't have to guess at what you think/feel about something.

I don't think this season can possibly top the joy I got from watching Figgy's face as she realized what was happening.  I am not proud of how happy that made me but schadenfreude is an emotion  almost all humans enjoy, if we're honest.  

• Love 4

Since we're discussing eye candy, Zeke has gorgeous eyes. (Yeah. I noticed the gay man's eyes. In my defense, I noticed most of Ken. I'm not dead.) I also think both Michaela and Jay have some great facial bones, though Jay's hair is distracting.

Edited by simplyme
Gah. Grammar.
  • Love 4

I know giving away your idol is always a risky move, but I was thinking about a way Adam could have gotten Figgy out and played it like he was on the Millennials side still. He could have given the idol to Ken and said I'm with you but I need to pretend that I'm with Figgy and Taylor because it would be better for all our games if everyone thinks I'm still with the Millennials.  He would vote for Ken and then Ken would play the idol and Adam could be like "Omg what just happened?" and no one would be mad at him. 

If he wanted to work with Ken and Jess long term- which I'm assuming he does- then this would have been something to think about. He could be like undercover getting information for their little alliance, which is Ken, Jess, David and Adam. I would think Zeke would align with Adam again once they merge as well since they were at the bottom of the tribe originally.

It would be risky and I know the players love the safety the Hidden Immunity Idol provides them, which I understand. If I was playing it would have to be something really important to get me to use the Idol on someone else.

20 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I am really enjoying this season because for the most part everyone seems like a decent person. After the sexist bullies of last season this is a refreshing change.

6 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I have not enjoyed a season, as I do this one, in years.  It's all out fallout.  Loved Figgy's blindside.  Now must go find the article ......

Yep, I'm enjoying this season a lot more, and no one is too offensive. 

Edited by dkb
  • Love 6

Adam's comment about 'someone's going home mad tonight' pretty much gave away that he was flipping, so he seemed content for Taylor to know it was him.  

simplyme- I thought Zeke looked nice in the night vision shots.  Something about his coloring looked good in reverse or however that works.  

44 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I am really enjoying this season because for the most part everyone seems like a decent person. After the sexist bullies of last season this is a refreshing change.

I'm glad we don't have a season full of Jason and Dan Foley's, but I find this cast kind of dull.  I have people I'm rooting for, and I like that there's some great characters.  There's been some decent moments, but for the most part, I'm finding it kind of boring.  Again, I'm happy we don't have to deal with the ugly brotherhood of misogynists.  I just am hoping when this cast really mixes up at the merge, game wise.  They all are really nice, but not many are jumping out at me.

I will say that people like Jessica, Ken, Jay, Will, and Zeke definitely changed from my pre-season perception (for the better).  The only person I really disliked was Figgy, and she's gone.  I haven't celebrated a boot like that all season.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I'm not taken in by Figgy's joie de vivre and big toothy sunshiny smile. She seemed to beam and be most joyful when she was threatening other players she perceived as weaker (such as Adam), reminding them that they crossed her, making smug pronouncements about how if you vote for her then you go home and how she's part of this awesome power couple who will send you home if you don't vote with them. Adam absolutely did the right thing. I was nervous as hell that Ken was going home when Adam said that the person he was voting for was someone he genuinely liked. Figgy's bouncy, giggly, happy-go-lucky act is just that to me -- an act covering up a manipulative phony. She's good at it, though, I bet she gets through life very well being like that.

Michaela is blunt as hell but I don't get any meanness or malice from it and I don't find her manipulative in the slightest -- probably will be a downfall of hers in this game. I get that from Figgy despite all her grinning, giggling, and ~sparkly~ personality.

I much prefer the Michaela's to the Figgy's. Give me the person that's upfront about who they are over the person that smiles in your face while secretly talking trash about you at every opportunity. Michaela said clearly that she was "trying to keep us all here" when she was working the puzzle with Hannah. Afterwards she immediately told Hannah "I'm sorry, you know I love you but I was just trying to win". 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dominii said:

Everyone has different tastes in players? But you did name two thing about that I like which is that she seems smart and is great in puzzles. I would also add that she seems to be very likeable and most important to me I love the way she approaches the game.  She is proactive. She is not afraid to make moves. When she thinks she in danger she does something  about it (like getting people to vote out Mari). As she said she doesn't want others to decide her fate in the game.  I like that. Is it a risky strategy? Absolutely.  But I would much rather watch a player like that than someone who essentially does nothing to try to further themselves in the game until they inevitably get voted out.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 4